View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 8-27

JALMOND
August 28th, 2023, 12:43 AM
Another season is almost underway and with it, another season of Big Sky power rankings. The preseason is always tough, trying to figure out which team is better when no one has played any games, so I am sure this will trigger some good discussion prior to the first set of games on Thursday. This season looks like there are six teams that could compete for the title, but every year is seems there is at least one team from the bottom half that makes a run during the season. Here are the opening week;s power rankings. As usual, all are my opinion only and all are open for discussion. Good luck to all the conference teams.

1. Montana State Bobcats---This week, Utah Tech (FCS United) at home on Saturday---The end of last year found the Bobcats in the semifinals and a frozen field away from the national championship game. This year, the losses were minimal and they should be ready for a deep playoff run. They start at home against one of the teams from the newly formed United conference.

2. Idaho Vandals---This week, at Lamar (FCS Southland) on Thursday---After a good season last year by the new regime, there are plans for a breakout year this season with even more success. Key returnees will breed familiarity in the lineup as the Vangals hope for a quick start. A trip awaits them to begin, down in Southland country.

3. Montana Grizzlies---This week, Butler (FCS Pioneer) at home on Saturday---Success breeds more success and the Grizzlies have certainly had their fair share. They should be ready to start lurking in the conference and stay close to the top as the season progresses. They stay in their friendly home confines to start, welcoming a Pioneer foe.

4. UC Davis Aggies---This week, at Texas A&M-Commerce (FCS Southland) on Thursday---With the success the conference had last season, someone had to stay home for the playoffs and the Aggies were not pleased that it was them. They are looking forward for some revenge this season and get to the playoffs. They will start this season on the road deep in Southland country.

5. Sacramento State Hornets---This week at Nicholls (FCS Southland) on Thursday--- What a season last year for the Hornets. A conference title and the automatic bid into the playoffs. Then it came crashing down in the playoffs. The offseason saw their coach leave for greener pastures, but the is hope the success will continue. They start in the Southland conference.

6. Weber State Wildcats---This week Central Washington (DII) at home on Thursday---Even with the loss of their coach, the Wildcats should still be in the mix for a conference title this season, although there are a few questions surrounding the team, but that is typical for a new coach and a new style. Easy pickings this week with a DII school coming to town.

7. Eastern Washington Eagles---This week, North Dakota State (FCS Missouri Valley) at Minneapolis, MN on Saturday---Good expectations are coming from the Eagles after missing the playoffs last season. Not many eyes are on the program this year but that could change with a good showing in the opening game against a very good opponent.

8. Portland State Vikings ---The week, at Oregon (FBS Pac-12) on Saturday---Every year finds the Vikings with a wealth of talent on both sides, yet every year it seems the talent has difficulties of coming together once the games begin. They should have a good team on paper, but paper does not win games. Neither does scheduling a good FBS team.

9. Northern Arizona Lumberjacks---This week, Arizona (FBS Pac-12) on Saturday---Losing your quarterback does not bode well in a quarterback driven conference, but the Lumberjacks look to pick up the slack. They could fly up the standings once they find one, or they could just as easily fall if they are undecided. Playing the Pac-12 off the bat does not help.

10. Northern Colorado Bears---This week, at Abilene Christian (FCS United) on Thursday---A wealth of new talent engulfed the Bears team over the offseason, so it is tricky to say where exactly they are. The success of the season will depend on how quickly the new players can adjust to the new team. A trip against a good United team awaits them.

11. Cal Poly Mustangs---The week, San Diego (FCS Pioneer) at home on Saturday---Last season was far from a successful season, but getting a good home win to end it creates good feelings going in to the offseason. Still, it was not enough for the coach to stay. New coach, new philosophy hopefully means better results. Starting at home is a good start.

12. Idaho State Bengals---This week, at San Diego State (FBS Mtn West)---The Bengals are starting over pretty much from scratch, even with a new coach with no college head coaching experience. But if they can get off to a good start, confidence may start to take over. The schedule is tough to start, especially this week as they head south against a good FBS team.

RECAP: 1-6 together, 7, then 8-11 bunched up, then 12 a bit behind.

bobcathpdevil56
August 28th, 2023, 11:30 AM
Thanks J! Always appreciate your weekly take on the Big Sky.

wapiti
August 28th, 2023, 02:29 PM
Here is my take on it:

1. Montana State Bobcats---Ended last season at the top of the Big Sky and did not lose much from last season. Several of the toughest games are on the road this season.

2. Idaho Vandals---Has a pretty good QB returning and should build on what they did last year.

3. UC Davis Aggies---Got shafted last year for playoff selection as UC Davis had a much more difficult schedule then the griz.

4. Sacramento State Hornets---Didn't Sac State lose their HC who had built them into a good team. We will see what the new coaches do.

5 Montana Grizzlies---The griz have figured playoff selection out. You get rewarded for having a weak schedule. Their OOC is nothing but cupcakes.

6. Weber State Wildcats---The BBQ has a new HC this season too. C. Washington should be a good warm up game for them.

7. Eastern Washington Eagles---Did EWU rebuild this off-season? Starting against NDSU and then a FBS is a hard way to start a season.

8. Portland State Vikings ---Starting against 2 FBS teams is a difficult way to start the season.

9. Northern Arizona Lumberjacks---NAU is one of those teams that I think should be better than what they are, but ever since their 7 year QB finally graduated they has been wallowing in the mud.

10. Northern Colorado Bears---The McCaffery experiment as HC failed. Now NC has some rebuilding to do.

11. Cal Poly Mustangs---I expect CP to climb these polls as the season progresses. But we won't have a good feel for CP until Sept 23 @ PSU

12. Idaho State Bengals---ISU has become a mess. Starting against 2 FBS teams should make them look bad.

RECAP: 1-6 together, 7-9, 10-11, 12

MSUBobcat
August 28th, 2023, 03:45 PM
My shot in the dark:

1. Montana State - The semifinalist from last year didn't lose very much
2. Idaho - Coach Eck has infused some life into a stagnant program and an extra year of experience for their stud duo of McCoy-Hatten should have them looking for more than just a playoff berth
3. UC-Davis - I went back and forth with Idaho and Davis. Ultimately, I went with Idaho but Davis will have a big chip on their shoulder having been left out last year. UM visiting Davis on Oct. 7th should be a very interesting game...
4. Sac State - Last year's co-champ lost their HC, stud bowling ball of a RB and both QBs; it was hard to place them - did they rebuild or will they fall back to the pre-Taylor days?
5. Montana - I will question their QB play until they prove otherwise. And does Booby change up the defensive scheme so that their safety doesn't lead the team in tackles?
6. Weber - Yet another of the top teams that lost their HC, which makes it difficult to know what to expect.
7. EWU - I think this is the first time in over a decade that EWU is in the bottom half of the preseason polls. They gave up an absurd 466 points last year (only Poly was worse, by 1 whole point). The defense needs to make a massive turnaround to move up the list instead of down.
8. Portland State - The Vikes seem to be perpetually bound to the 8/9 slot of the conference.
9. NAU - a bottom team lost their QB to the transfer portal.
10. NoCo - Can some new blood in the coaching rooms bring about some improvements in the win column?
11. Cal Poly - Perennial bottom feeder also gets new blood in the coaching room. One of these teams will outperform with new leadership while others will regress.
12. Idaho State - really starting to feel bad for the team just south of Bozeman.

I think 1-3 should make the playoffs, 4-6 are likely to also but have question marks to be answered in the first few weeks, 7-9 could shake up the standings with an upset here and there, 10-12 perennial bottom feeders.

CA Forever
August 28th, 2023, 05:42 PM
Good list JALMOND!

As much as it pains me as an Aggie fan, I think that Cal Poly is going to be climbing the rankings this season. Paul Wulff has been bringing a lot of talent and there seems to be quite the buzz down in SLO. I don't think that they'll be at the top of the conference this season, but I think that they will climb their way out of the bottom feeders.

MSUBobcat
August 29th, 2023, 02:03 PM
Everybody still on their end-of-summer vacations?? Place is eerily quiet for games being 4 days away....

THE DANIMAL
August 29th, 2023, 02:11 PM
My gut feel for the first week:

1. Montana St.
2. UC Davis
3. Idaho
4. Montana
5. Weber St.
6. NAU
7. Sac St.
8. EWU
9. Cal Poly
10. Portland St.
11. Northern Colorado
12. Idaho St.

1-4 a tier one, 5-7 tier two, 8-12 tier three

Catbooster
August 29th, 2023, 03:51 PM
My take:
1. Montana State
2. UC Davis - solid team last year with a tough schedule.
3. Idaho - Looked good last year and returning good players, but wasn't UM the only team with a winning record that they beat last year? I like Eck. They may be good but I can't put them any higher until they start proving it.

4. Sac State - A lot of turnover. Can the new coaches and players keep them near the top of the conference or do they drop back?
5. Weber - Can the new staff maintain Hill's quality teams?
6. Montana - Is one of the QB transfers going to be the stud? Will the other be an adequate back-up? Will they have a defense that works against the top teams?

7. EWU
8. PSU
9. NAU
10. N Colorado
11. Cal-Poly
12. Idaho State

4-6 all have a number of question marks. I don't have a ton of confidence in their order.

SeattleCat
August 30th, 2023, 03:21 AM
1. Montana State
2. Idaho
3. Sac
4. UCD
5. Montana
6. Weber
7. EWU
8. NAU
9. Cal Poly
10. Portland State
11. Northern Colorado
12. Idaho State

1 out front, 2-4 Somewhat close, 5 & 6 last of the playoff caliber teams, 7-10 way back and 11 & 12 should probably just drop football.

2wagriz
August 30th, 2023, 03:50 PM
This is a great writeup. Thanks for taking the time to put it together!

technocat
August 31st, 2023, 11:04 AM
I'm surprised everyone is penciling in MSU in the top spot given our extremely tough road schedule(at least based on last year's results) and our struggles on the road last year. I can totally see a UCD or even EWU come out of nowhere to win the conference just because they have an easier schedule. Seems to happen every year in the BSC. Guess we will find out what MSU is made of on 9/9...

MSUBobcat
August 31st, 2023, 11:23 AM
I'm surprised everyone is penciling in MSU in the top spot given our extremely tough road schedule(at least based on last year's results) and our struggles on the road last year. I can totally see a UCD or even EWU come out of nowhere to win the conference just because they have an easier schedule. Seems to happen every year in the BSC. Guess we will find out what MSU is made of on 9/9...

Semifinalist returning lots of starters. Weber lost a really good HC, Sac lost a really good HC and a bunch of production. The Griz... pssh... we'll beat them. xsmiley_wix Idaho is the only road game Massey favors MSU in. SDSU doesn't count for league standings.

In all seriousness, it's going to be a tough season and if the Bobcats come out as the conference champ, it will be well earned. The SDSU game will reveal a lot.

VandalBasher
August 31st, 2023, 08:30 PM
Idaho has a schedule worthy of the playoffs, if the Vandals can win. Two FBS games and we play EWU, Weber, MSU, Montana, and Sac. St. The only relief is not playing UC Davis. Hawkins has the Vandals number. Luckily the only tough road games are Weber and EWU.

SeattleCat
September 1st, 2023, 08:45 PM
Idaho has a schedule worthy of the playoffs, if the Vandals can win. Two FBS games and we play EWU, Weber, MSU, Montana, and Sac. St. The only relief is not playing UC Davis. Hawkins has the Vandals number. Luckily the only tough road games are Weber and EWU.

I just finished the Vandals @ Lamar replay, Idaho looks pretty solid all around except for maybe their O-line looked a little sus, especially against an outmatched Lamar.

SeattleCat
September 1st, 2023, 09:48 PM
Watching Sac St now, looks like they've lost a few steps on offense.