PDA

View Full Version : Changes to JMU's 2008 Schedule

JMU Duke Dog
November 28th, 2007, 08:45 AM
The Appalachian State at James Madison game originally schedule for Sept. 6, 2008 has been moved to Sept. 20, 2008. JMU will now play an unnamed I-FCS team from North Carolina in Harrisonburg, VA on Sept. 6, 2008. Any person hear that their school is now playing at JMU next year?

asu7
November 28th, 2007, 08:48 AM
The Appalachian State at James Madison game originally schedule for Sept. 6, 2008 has been moved to Sept. 20, 2008. JMU will now play an unnamed I-FCS team from North Carolina in Harrisonburg, VA on Sept. 6, 2008. Any person hear that their school is now playing at JMU next year?

I bet it is Elon or WCU

mcveyrl
November 28th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Maybe Coastal again. Are they full?

mcveyrl
November 28th, 2007, 08:50 AM

Was the move to accomodate us or ASU? I'm assuming us since Liberty moved back our series.

JMU Duke Dog
November 28th, 2007, 08:52 AM

It is a team in North Carolina not South Carolina. Also it may be awhile before CCU and JMU schedule another series due to the nature of what happened between mascots and fans at both locations.

JMU Duke Dog
November 28th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Was the move to accomodate us or ASU? I'm assuming us since Liberty moved back our series.

The move was to accommodate JMU. The Mountaineers were nice enough to help us out with our schedule. JMU will also for some reason not be playing VMI in 2008.

mcveyrl
November 28th, 2007, 08:57 AM
It is a team in North Carolina not South Carolina. Also it may be awhile before CCU and JMU schedule another series due to the nature of what happened between mascots and fans at both locations.

xoopsx xoopsx

Need some geography lessons.

CID1990
November 28th, 2007, 08:59 AM
I'll bet it's Gardner Webb.

I hope it's Elon, though.

JMU Duke Dog
November 28th, 2007, 08:59 AM
I bet it is Elon or WCU

I would like to see another home game against a Southern Conference team to improve our OOC schedule. It could also be Campbell, Davidson, Gardner-Webb, North Carolina Central, or Winston-Salem State.

JMU's Current 2008 Schedule:

Home:
9/6 "I-FCS team from North Carolina"
9/20 Appalachian State
11/1 Delaware
TBA Massachusetts
TBA Hofstra
TBA William & Mary

Away:
8/30 at Duke
TBA at Maine
TBA at Villanova
TBA at Richmond
TBA at Towson

2008 will be tough with a I-FCS opponent (beatable however), four playoff teams from 2007, and two playoff bubble teams from 2007.

bandl
November 28th, 2007, 09:00 AM

And don't forget about the a$$-raping that JMU handed the CCU football team. xthumbsupx In a strictly non-gay way, of course xsmiley_wix

asu7
November 28th, 2007, 09:12 AM
I am looking forward to coming to JMU next year ... I have only driven by it ...

The wife is from Va. so she is really looking forward to it ... hates JMU tho ... she went to Radford and ASU for grad school ... I asked why the hate for JMU and she said that a lot of Radford kids kept whinning cause they wanted to go JMU but couldn't get in ... LOL

89Hen
November 28th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Need some geography lessons.
Don't sweat it, Conway is a hop, skip and jump from the NC border.

SuperJon
November 28th, 2007, 09:20 AM

Once again, Liberty didn't move back the series. JMU called in May to move the series back.

whitey
November 28th, 2007, 09:23 AM
I would like to see another home game against a Southern Conference team to improve our OOC schedule.

Do we really need to improve our OOC schedule? We already have an FBS team and App. St. on there. For the record, I'm not against the idea but it looks pretty strong as it is.

Any reasons given for not playing VMI next year? We were supposed to play @ VMI on September 20th. So moving App. State to the 20th bounced VMI from our schedule all together?

mcveyrl
November 28th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Once again, Liberty didn't move back the series. JMU called in May to move the series back.

Sorry, I hadn't heard that Mr. Barber.

whitey
November 28th, 2007, 09:26 AM
I asked why the hate for JMU and she said that a lot of Radford kids kept whinning cause they wanted to go JMU but couldn't get in ... LOL

Ha! Sounds about right. :D

SuperJon
November 28th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Sorry, I hadn't heard that Mr. Barber.

We had it on here, the CAA board, and FlameFans back in the summer.

JMU Duke Dog
November 28th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Any reasons given for not playing VMI next year? We were supposed to play @ VMI on September 20th. So moving App. State to the 20th bounced VMI from our schedule all together?

VMI was already gone from the schedule before switching the date with Appalachian State. One team backed out of the contract from what I am hearing.

mcveyrl
November 28th, 2007, 09:35 AM
We had it on here, the CAA board, and FlameFans back in the summer.

So I must've read it...xrolleyesx

Either way, it wasn't a big deal, I was just under the impression that Liberty had moved it. Thanks for accomodating us.

Since I have no intention of going through and reading that thread and you seem to have all the knowledge, what was our reason for moving it?

JMU Duke Dog
November 28th, 2007, 09:37 AM
So I must've read it...xrolleyesx

Either way, it wasn't a big deal, I was just under the impression that Liberty had moved it. Thanks for accomodating us.

Since I have no intention of going through and reading that thread and you seem to have all the knowledge, what was our reason for moving it?

The 2008 home game with Liberty that has now been nixed was going to be on JMU's fall break weekend.

mcveyrl
November 28th, 2007, 09:38 AM
The 2008 home game with Liberty that has now been nixed was going to be on JMU's fall break weekend.

Ah, makes sense.

BTW, I now remember why I thought Liberty had moved it.

This thread (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33481&page=3), #24. Somebody needs to PM thom.

whitey
November 28th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Next year teams are going to have a 12 game slate right? Is there any word/rumors on who that 12th team will be?

mcveyrl
November 28th, 2007, 09:59 AM
We still need one, right? We lost VMI and Liberty, but we're picking up one, yet to be named FCS NC school.

I smell DII.

appfan2008
November 28th, 2007, 10:01 AM
teams are allowed to have a 12th game next year but not required... asu will not...

appfan2008
November 28th, 2007, 10:01 AM
your ooc looks great... a lower level fcs team may be the way to go for you guys at this point...

mcveyrl
November 28th, 2007, 10:14 AM
teams are allowed to have a 12th game next year but not required... asu will not...

To me, that's the way to go rather than schedule a DII as your 12th. Why risk a loss when you could get a bye week.

DTSpider
November 28th, 2007, 10:17 AM
I bet it is Elon or WCU

Supposedly UR is playing at Elon that date.

Dukie95
November 28th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Yes, I'm not sure we need to add to our SOS. I doubt it's a SoCon team.

If everything goes right this weekend, JMU could end up playing all 4 of the FCS semifinalists next year, and would be guaranteed a shot at the defending NC.

bodoyle
November 28th, 2007, 10:47 AM

We're not full yet...I don't think.

And it's their turn to come to the beach. We, or some Jr. High team resembling us, went up there this year.

Here is what we have so far:

2008 schedule
@Penn State
vs Colgate
vs Towson
@Presbyterian
vs Stony Brook
vs Liberty
@Gardner-Webb
@VMI
vs Charleston Southern

We will host Towson and Colgate and will return the favor to Towson in '09

We tried to get Sam Houston State but it fell through somehow.

CDB said he wants to play 12 games. 6 home 6 road. Not sure who the other 3 are.

andy7171
November 28th, 2007, 10:53 AM
We're not full yet...I don't think.

And it's their turn to come to the beach. We, or some Jr. High team resembling us, went up there this year.

Here is what we have so far:

2008 schedule
@Penn State
vs Colgate
vs Towson
@Presbyterian
vs Stony Brook
vs Liberty
@Gardner-Webb
@VMI
vs Charleston Southern

We will host Towson and Colgate and will return the favor to Towson in '09

We tried to get Sam Houston State but it fell through somehow.

CDB said he wants to play 12 games. 6 home 6 road. Not sure who the other 3 are.
I look forward to visiting Coastal Carolina next fall! Is it too early to start planning an AGS get together?

URMite
November 28th, 2007, 10:55 AM

Do we know our OOC other than Elon and UVA? I thought VMI wanted to play 2 of 3 out of UR/JMU/W&M each year. So if not JMU then maybe...

bodoyle
November 28th, 2007, 11:34 AM
I look forward to visiting Coastal Carolina next fall! Is it too early to start planning an AGS get together?

Is it ever too early?

Oh that orange T is for Towson? I thought you were a Tennessee volunteer fan! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

bodoyle
November 28th, 2007, 11:36 AM
And don't forget about the a$$-raping that JMU handed the CCU football team. xthumbsupx In a strictly non-gay way, of course xsmiley_wix

Hey now, don't forget the defending champs going down in Conway. Even ESPN liked it! xpeacex :p

I think we need a 3rd match-up in a neutral site to settle it with both mascots in cages (seperate). How about Chattanooga next year? Say middle December? xnodx xnodx

th0m
November 28th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Ah, makes sense.

BTW, I now remember why I thought Liberty had moved it.

This thread (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33481&page=3), #24. Somebody needs to PM thom.

I didn't get that from a direct source though, but from other people on these (and CAA) boards before the '07 season started I think, or at least a couple of months ago. If I misinformed anybody, my bad.

AppStateSVX
November 28th, 2007, 12:44 PM
hahaha. you play Duke. Please beat the junk out of them

BigApp
November 28th, 2007, 01:28 PM

davidson

DTSpider
November 28th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Do we know our OOC other than Elon and UVA? I thought VMI wanted to play 2 of 3 out of UR/JMU/W&M each year. So if not JMU then maybe...

Open the year @ Elon, then the following week @ UVA. Not sure when, but VMI is at home. I believe that we are skipping the 12th game in favor of a bye week.

blur2005
November 28th, 2007, 03:12 PM
I'd like to play a team like Davidson or Gardner-Webb considering the nature of JMU's schedule next year. No need for a team like Elon, though Western Carolina might be alright unless the Catamounts decide to have a complete turnaround next season. Just make sure JMU plays a D-I team.

WCU LawCat
November 28th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Unless WCU adds a 12th game it will not be WCU.

I believe our schedule is full with

8 SoCon games
@ Florida State
Liberty (Home I think)
@ PC (return game)

th0m
November 28th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Davidson or Gardner Webb would be a good 12th school to schedule, IMO.

Seawolf97
November 28th, 2007, 06:52 PM
I'll bet it's Gardner Webb.

I hope it's Elon, though.

Im not sure it would be Elon- they are scheduled to be at Stonybrook on the 6th-but anything is possible.

alexale23
November 28th, 2007, 06:54 PM
JMU is going to beat DUKE and APP NEXT YEAR

proasu89
November 28th, 2007, 07:03 PM

I'm guessing either GWEBB or Winston-Salem St.

proasu89
November 28th, 2007, 07:04 PM

Can't wait for the witty pregame banter xcoolx

blur2005
November 28th, 2007, 08:36 PM
xeyebrowx

Let's hold off on proclamations about next year. This isn't the CAAZone.

BDKJMU
November 28th, 2007, 08:51 PM
The move was to accommodate JMU. The Mountaineers were nice enough to help us out with our schedule. JMU will also for some reason not be playing VMI in 2008.

There goes the one cupcake on the schedule. So JMU is looking at an 11 game schedule I assume? Why schedule 12 straight, or 12 out of 13 (since Duke is Aug 30) when you can have a bye week (or would that be 2?).

gophoenix
November 28th, 2007, 09:37 PM

OUr schedule is locked up with Richmond, Liberty, Stony Brook and Presbyterian (replacement for William & Mary :( :( )

ASU_Chad
November 29th, 2007, 12:40 AM
I like a Davidson match up. They trounce the SoCon in basketball. If it were between UNC-Charlotte and Davidson getting DI football, I rather it be Davidson.

th0m
November 29th, 2007, 04:55 AM
Davidson already is DI, they're in the Pioneer Football League.

Tribe4SF
November 29th, 2007, 05:03 AM
OUr schedule is locked up with Richmond, Liberty, Stony Brook and Presbyterian (replacement for William & Mary :( :( )

Don't know what happened to the W&M/Elon deal. Had heard that was going to happen. W&M now has Norfolk State on the schedule. Much as I would have liked to play Elon, the Norfolk State match-up is a great one, and should sell out early. The last time we played them there were 18,000 packed into Zable (seated 15,000 back in '85).

gophoenix
November 29th, 2007, 06:37 AM
Don't know what happened to the W&M/Elon deal. Had heard that was going to happen. W&M now has Norfolk State on the schedule. Much as I would have liked to play Elon, the Norfolk State match-up is a great one, and should sell out early. The last time we played them there were 18,000 packed into Zable (seated 15,000 back in '85).

Samford coming into the SoCon made us have to re-arrange the schedule. The Samford game was scheduled for the same time as William & Mary, and we tried to reschedule with you, but it couldn't be worked out. I was really looking forward to this game.

So we have to emergency fill the slot with Presbyterian in our open date.

We had to add Davidson for 2009 to replace you guys.

BDKJMU
November 29th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Speaking of a I-AA opponent for JMU next year from NC, I was counting the # of I-AA in NC. I came up with:
1. ASU- SoCon
2. WCU-SoCon
3. Elon-So Con
4. Gardner Webb- Big South
5. NC A&T-MEAC
6. Winston Salem State-MEAC
7. Davidson-PFL
8. NC Central- independent
9. Cambell (starting I-AA scholly program in 08')

About 120 I-AA, avg 2.4 per state, yet NC has 9! I didn't even know about NC Central, but they're listed by College Sporting News. Does any state have as many?

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/ARTICLE.ASP?ARTICLEID=82996

VA has:
1. JMU-CAA
2.W&M-CAA
3. UR-CAA
4.VMI-Big South
5.Liberty-Big South
6.Hampton-MEAC
7. Norfolk State-MEAC
8. ODU (2009)-CAA

Back in the 90s when I was at JMU it was only 5 for VA, the MEAC was D II, and I know NC had a few less. I wonder if NC and VA are 1 and 2 in the # of I-AA teams?

CCU97
November 29th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Speaking of a I-AA opponent for JMU next year from NC, I was counting the # of I-AA in NC. I came up with:
1. ASU- SoCon
2. WCU-SoCon
3. Elon-So Con
4. Gardner Webb- Big South
5. Presbyterian (transition phase) Big South
6. NC A&T-MEAC
7. Winston Salem State-MEAC
8. Davidson-PFL
9. NC Central- independent

About 120 I-AA, avg 2.4 per state, yet NC has 9! I didn't even know about NC Central, but they're listed by College Sporting News. Does any state have as many?

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/ARTICLE.ASP?ARTICLEID=82996

VA has:
1. JMU-CAA
2.W&M-CAA
3. UR-CAA
4.VMI-Big South
5.Liberty-Big South
6.Hampton-MEAC
7. Norfolk State-MEAC
8. ODU (2009)-CAA

Back in the 90s when I was at JMU it was only 5 for VA, the MEAC was D II, and I know NC had a few less.

Presby is in SC Clinton,SC

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 29th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Any chance we can get San Diego to make a trip out East? xwhistlex

alexale23
November 29th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Hey APP STATE people who are you losing this year? What seniors will be gone and wont be making the trip to Harrisonburg next year?

ASUG8
November 29th, 2007, 02:07 PM

Too bad on the VMI - you could start pre-season 1-0 and not even play the game.

BDKJMU
November 29th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Presby is in SC Clinton,SC

My bad, was thinking they were in NC.

JMU Duke Dog
November 29th, 2007, 03:48 PM
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=13593&CHID=3&sub=

Next season’s schedule is set except for Sept. 6. Appalachian State had been scheduled for that date, but it agreed to play later in the season to give JMU a chance to secure another I-AA team. Madison officials have not identified that team except to say it is located in North Carolina.

You can cross Gardner-Webb and Campbell University off the list of potential opponents for Sept. 6.

Gardner-Webb’s coach and athletic director both said Wednesday that they won’t be playing JMU.

“It doesn’t make sense for us to add somebody as strong as James Madison,” said Gardner-Webb coach Steve Patton, noting that his team routinely plays nearby Appalachian State, Furman and Wofford in tough non-conference games.

A source at Campbell University – which is launching a I-AA non-scholarship program in 2008 – said JMU isn’t on the schedule there, either.

That leaves two Southern Conference teams (Elon and Western Carolina), two MEAC schools (Winston Salem and North Carolina A&T) and two independents (Presbyterian and North Carolina Central) as candidates for JMU’s opening.

I could be wrong but I think I saw posted where Elon and Presbyterian play against each other on Sept. 6, 2008. So if that is indeed true then it narrows it down to Davidson, North Carolina A&T, North Carolina Central, Western Carolina, or Winston-Salem State.

BDKJMU
November 29th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Well, make that 9 I-AA in NC after all if you include Cambell. I didn't know about them.

gophoenix
November 29th, 2007, 09:40 PM
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=13593&CHID=3&sub=

I could be wrong but I think I saw posted where Elon and Presbyterian play against each other on Sept. 6, 2008. So if that is indeed true then it narrows it down to Davidson, North Carolina A&T, North Carolina Central, Western Carolina, or Winston-Salem State.

In hind sight, I guess it could be us. This is what I know so far:
8-30 : RICHMOND
9-6 : @ Stony Brook
9-20 : @Samford
@App
WESTERN CAROLINA
@GSU
WOFFORD
@UTC
FURMAN
THE CITADEL
PRESBYTERIAN
11-22 : @Liberty

I could easily see us buy out the return trip to Stony Brook and pick up James Madison and drop the Davidson game in 2009 if it is a 1-1 deal (or even if not).

We have ties to Presbyterian, I can't see us canceling that game (we worked with them on their move-up and were conference mates for 30 years).

FanOfAllThatIsJMU
November 30th, 2007, 07:45 AM
rumor is that its NC Central. here is my prediction

Dates for some of the 2008 games...
Bolded dates and teams are definite.

8/30 @ Duke
9/6 (vs NC CENTRAL)
9/13 (vs UMASS)
9/20 vs APP STATE
9/27 (@ Maine)
10/4 (vs HOFSTRA) Family Weekend
10/11 (@ Villanova)
10/18 (vs bye)
10/25 (@ UR) - UR's homecoming date
11/1 vs DELAWARE - Homecoming
11/8 (@ bye)
11/15 (vs WILLIAM & MARY)
11/22 (@ Towson)

JMU2004
November 30th, 2007, 07:59 AM
rumor is that its NC Central. here is my prediction

Dates for some of the 2008 games...
Bolded dates and teams are definite.

8/30 @ Duke
9/6 (vs NC CENTRAL)
9/13 (vs UMASS)
9/20 vs APP STATE
9/27 (@ Maine)
10/4 (vs HOFSTRA) Family Weekend
10/11 (@ Villanova)
10/18 (vs bye)
10/25 (@ UR) - UR's homecoming date
11/1 vs DELAWARE - Homecoming
11/8 (@ bye)
11/15 (vs WILLIAM & MARY)
11/22 (@ Towson)

Damn...thats a tough schedule. Four of the elite 8, a 1-A, 2 vs. 7-4 CAA teams.

I'm pretty sure we'll have a top 5 SoS next year.

whitey
December 4th, 2007, 11:59 AM
The DNR (http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=13681&CHID=3&sub=) is now also reporting that the I-AA team from NC will in fact be North Carolina Central.

th0m
December 4th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Good team to schedule.

mcveyrl
December 4th, 2007, 12:23 PM
The DNR (http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=13681&CHID=3&sub=) is now also reporting that the I-AA team from NC will in fact be North Carolina Central.

Except at the end of the article he says NC A&T...

whitey
December 4th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Except at the end of the article he says NC A&T...

Ha! I didn't even notice that. Good catch. Good old DNR. Considering it says Central 6 times and Eagles a couple more I think it's safe to safe the last line is a typo.

mcveyrl
December 4th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Ha! I didn't even notice that. Good catch. Good old DNR. Considering it says Central 6 times and Eagles a couple more I think it's safe to safe the last line is a typo.

He thinks all MEAC schools look alike...xrotatehx xrotatehx

th0m
December 4th, 2007, 02:43 PM
So we're not getting a 12th team then?

R.A.
December 4th, 2007, 03:03 PM
NC Central maybe