PDA

View Full Version : 2023 Valparaiso @ Youngstown St

Paladin1aa
August 24th, 2023, 08:27 PM
YSU opens the season early Thursday evening Aug. 31 at 7:30 p.m. with a game against Valpo.

Valpo is picked to finish 6th in the Pioneer League while YSU is picked to finish 6th in the MVFC.

The early outlook is this is probably a blowout game for YSU but does give the coaches a chance to play everyone and get tape on player game time performance.

It’s also a chance to evaluate if anticipated strength is team defense this year while the O developes finding a new RB to replace former All American Jaleel McLaughlin, who not only appears to make the Denver Broncos 53 man roster, but also start at RB for them.

I’ll be commenting on starting lineups this week. Looking for the RFR who are in the super recruit class to show up in 2 deeps.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 24th, 2023, 08:31 PM
YSU will roll! I have pretty high expectations for the 'Guins this year! The 6th place forecast is too pessimistic. I think they can out-duel UND, UNI, and SIU for 3rd....

caribbeanhen
August 24th, 2023, 10:44 PM
You Youngstown boys would of scored a lot more if you moved the game To Valparaiso aka sailor’s Disney

https://cdn.britannica.com/56/114756-004-05469BEF/Harbour-Valparaiso-Chile.jpg?s=1500x700&q=85
(https://www.britannica.com/media/1/622401/55168)
(https://www.britannica.com/media/1/622401/156427)

Paladin1aa
August 25th, 2023, 07:21 AM
You Youngstown boys would of scored a lot more if you moved the game To Valparaiso aka sailor’s Disney

https://cdn.britannica.com/56/114756-004-05469BEF/Harbour-Valparaiso-Chile.jpg?s=1500x700&q=85
(https://www.britannica.com/media/1/622401/55168)
(https://www.britannica.com/media/1/622401/156427)

Nice thought, but wrong Valpo ! The cresting sun, a jug of wine and a long haired woman. 😎

caribbeanhen
August 25th, 2023, 08:27 AM
Nice thought, but wrong Valpo ! The cresting sun, a jug of wine and a long haired woman. 

you mean

Long Haired Lady

Ram/1971
SPM

Baron Sardonicus
August 25th, 2023, 10:04 AM
I saw Butler in 2018. Butler finished seventh in the PFL that year. But don't worry, Valpo is no 2018 Butler.

Paladin1aa
August 25th, 2023, 10:23 AM
YSU will start, if not injured, the following OL-

C- Parker 6’2, 300
RG Johnson 6’4, 315
RT. Williams. 6’4, 298
LG. Metzler 6’5 , 310
LT. Leigh. 6’7 , 310

All are starters or multi-year starters except for RFR Leigh. Expect OL to be pretty good this year. Back ups will come from RFR super recruit class.

The Yo Show
August 25th, 2023, 01:17 PM
I didn't realize this till the Vindy article, but parker played center in high school. Made the transition back to center smoother.

Paladin1aa
August 25th, 2023, 01:35 PM
I didn't realize this till the Vindy article, but parker played center in high school. Made the transition back to center smoother.

Maybe. We will see. Parker never played C at YSU until now. Multi-year starter at LG. Metzler was the starting LT last year, moving over to LG now. Leigh becomes the new starter at LT. He is very athletic and huge. They should make for a solid run game no matter who runs the ball and I’m looking at 4 who get play time at RB. This also gives Mitch a solid pass blocking line to keep him from being hurried.

BTW, last years C McAllister is still with the Rams and has a shot at making the team.

Paladin1aa
August 25th, 2023, 02:10 PM
Interesting story on Leigh. At 6’7, he was a basketball star at Roosevelt. Also played lacrosse. Never played football till his senior year and became an instant star, earning post season honors. He has a huge upside. Didn’t attract attention since only played his senior year and never was seen at a camp. One of the huge sleepers in the super recruit class. His abilities are off the chart and the reason they moved everyone over on the line and start him as a RFR. Very good feet, quick, strong, athletic and very coachable. If he stays healthy, the sky is the limit.

BeamMeUp
August 27th, 2023, 07:25 PM
It would be nice to see a complete performance out of the get-go! Wear this Valpo defense down with our big OL.

YSU 45-7.

The Yo Show
August 27th, 2023, 07:43 PM
Personally, I think the most important thing for this game is to get the win comfortably and come out healthy.

Paladin1aa
August 28th, 2023, 08:51 AM
Two deeps are out and no surprise , 14 RFR are listed either as starters or backups. If the class stays together it will be a monster. Must get another super recruit class soon.

Rushton will start at RB. Expect to see lots of King as well.

I don’t expect the game to be close, so most players will see the field. Davidson needs to show well at QB in his passing.

Kicking game has new starters. Race is on for the PK with 2 RFR.

Paladin1aa
August 28th, 2023, 02:28 PM
Looking over Valpo game notes, they have 14 players from Ohio, most of whom play. The QB is Appel ,6’4, 220 from Springboro. The MLB is Annis, 6’1, 225 from Hilliard Davidson. Have starting OG from Barberton. Seems they are recruiting Cincy area with players from St. X , Cleveland (St. Ed’s) and Columbus (Bishop Hartley) among others.

Would appear they are trying to improve with better players, but team wise they don’t have enough horses yet. YSU has to be a huge favorite.

If YSU is up big at the half, I’d guess one series for starters in second half and the bench gets cleared ,playing most to keep everyone healthy for Ohio State.

Paladin1aa
August 28th, 2023, 05:11 PM
My prediction here is YSU, 42-10.

My season outlook is still losses to Ohio State, UNI and SDSU. Wins - Valpo, Bobby Morris, Indy St and Murray St. Toss up games with SIU, ISUr, USD and MoST.

The Yo Show
August 28th, 2023, 08:21 PM
Just to reiterate, what is your full year record prediction then? 6-5 if you assume win half the toss up games?

Paladin1aa
August 28th, 2023, 08:29 PM
I’d stay with 6-5, but think they have a shot at 7-4. They have made progress since camp opened and my prediction was preseason. Have to stay healthy at QB and have a dominate RB emerge. The D is set.

ysubigred
August 28th, 2023, 09:10 PM
Massey has YSU ranked #21 VALPO #122 sooo,
If Massey's computer is accurate. Should be a 51-0 win. Anything less, YSU will be lucky to obtain Pally's lofty goal of 6-5

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

The Yo Show
August 28th, 2023, 10:06 PM
I’d stay with 6-5, but think they have a shot at 7-4. They have made progress since camp opened and my prediction was preseason. Have to stay healthy at QB and have a dominate RB emerge. The D is set.

Color me optimistic, but I think barring injury this team makes it to 7-4 as the floor. 8-3 is obtainable.

Paladin1aa
August 29th, 2023, 10:06 AM
Color me optimistic, but I think barring injury this team makes it to 7-4 as the floor. 8-3 is obtainable.

I would up it to a higher record, but Davidson has to prove he can be consistent each week. He was erratic last year and Jaleel saved our bacon. We will depend on a pass attack in the league and he must be able to deliver as it’s yet to be seen that we have a dominate run game. I expect, with a veteran OL we will get a good ground game, even if it’s by committee. If Davidson stays healthy and consistent, we will roll. If not, pressure will be on a solid D to keep us in games. Need I tell you, the MVFC is not a weak league. Produce or perish.

SIU and ISUr could be decent. USD is on the road and MoSt, who knows ? The season turnout is in those game results.

Paladin1aa
August 29th, 2023, 10:22 AM
Massey has YSU ranked #21 VALPO #122 sooo,
If Massey's computer is accurate. Should be a 51-0 win. Anything less, YSU will be lucky to obtain Pally's lofty goal of 6-5

Computers don’t play the game on the field. Players do. Computers project relative strength, but not game situations, fumbles, ints., penalties, etc. Read Massey game predictions and you find many YSU projected scores with in a TD or FG of winning or losing. Close games can go either way for a number of reasons.

If YSU was to leave the starters in for entire game , your score has relevance. But a runaway game would be more likely for subs to play a lot so not to risk injury to starters and give them game experience to build depth. That would hold down a score. Valpo may be weak, but they aren’t dead, lol.

A win is a win and keeping your team healthy for the long run is more important to the coaching staff than one games scoring total.

ysubigred
August 29th, 2023, 10:26 AM
Computers don’t play the game on the field. Players do. Computers project relative strength, but not game situations, fumbles, ints., penalties, etc. Read Massey game predictions and you find many YSU projected scores with in a TD or FG of winning or losing. Close games can go either way for a number of reasons.

If YSU was to leave the starters in for entire game , your score has relevance. But a runaway game would be more likely for subs to play a lot so not to risk injury to starters and give them game experience to build depth. That would hold down a score. Valpo may be weak, but they aren’t dead, lol.

A win is a win and keeping your team healthy for the long run is more important to the coaching staff than one games scoring total.I agree.. that's why I don't believe in the paper tiger recruit.. show me on the field.

51-0 is a halftime score.. [emoji38] JK.. bigger fish to fry at UNI..

See you at the game?

The Yo Show
August 29th, 2023, 04:12 PM
I would up it to a higher record, but Davidson has to prove he can be consistent each week. He was erratic last year and Jaleel saved our bacon. We will depend on a pass attack in the league and he must be able to deliver as it’s yet to be seen that we have a dominate run game. I expect, with a veteran OL we will get a good ground game, even if it’s by committee. If Davidson stays healthy and consistent, we will roll. If not, pressure will be on a solid D to keep us in games. Need I tell you, the MVFC is not a weak league. Produce or perish.

SIU and ISUr could be decent. USD is on the road and MoSt, who knows ? The season turnout is in those game results.

I agree with most of this. I think a big part of Davis's inconsistency is even though he won the starting role in the middle of the season, he was still splitting first team reps with Crenshaw. Plus getting that playing time, he is gonna be good this year. I bet, barring injury, he will be a 2,000 yard passer this season.

Paladin1aa
August 29th, 2023, 05:33 PM
Fans should know that Jaleel made the 53 man roster as RB with Denver and he will play a lot this season. Also Drew Ogletree made the Colts roster as a TE. McAllister was a last cut with the Rams as a C, but should make the practice squad unless he is picked up by someone else. He had a very good camp.

Paladin1aa
August 29th, 2023, 08:44 PM
Seems I missed a couple - With 7 years NFL experience Derek Rivers , DE, makes Houston’s team. Rader , TE, is a Final Cut of the Titans. He should get another year, either on the practice squad or picked up by another team.

Paladin1aa
August 30th, 2023, 05:50 PM
And as I predicted, both McAllister and Rader are added to Rams and Titans practice squad. I expect both to dress for NFL games at some point this season. Paycheck, baby.

On another note, Penguin Gameday TV is on WFMJ tonite at 7 p.m. Info on Valpo game.

Paladin1aa
August 31st, 2023, 01:56 PM
One more comment before the game - analysis of roster and the way players are listed in two deep, it is becoming clear that while they should win at least 6 games this year and chance is 7 is possible, next year is setting up for a run at the title. With everyone back, years of starting experience and what should be a rock solid D, they need only develope a QB , and that should be possible, they now have the players to move to the top echelon in the MVFC. And a run in the playoffs looks exceptionally promising.

First, Valpo tonite. But watch to see how dominate YSU appears in league games and watch how many of the RFR get play time. Championship play may only be a season away.

The Yo Show
August 31st, 2023, 02:13 PM
I would argue, a run at the playoffs may be in the cards this year. You are probably right though, odds of winning the MVFC this year is rather low. Gotta play the games though! I'm optimistic if you are predicting upper echelon MVFC next year (I also don't disagree with it either, but we will lose some depth going into next year).

ysubigred
August 31st, 2023, 03:03 PM
3:30 hrs to kickoff..https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230831/05dfada0ff51ce4b33c6fd5014edbbea.jpg

Paladin1aa
August 31st, 2023, 03:26 PM
I would argue, a run at the playoffs may be in the cards this year. You are probably right though, odds of winning the MVFC this year is rather low. Gotta play the games though! I'm optimistic if you are predicting upper echelon MVFC next year (I also don't disagree with it either, but we will lose some depth going into next year).

If you look at the two deep they are deep this year with almost ALL two deep returning next year. RFR just lack some experience which they will get. In addition, the RFR are breaking thru, starting or near starting this year. The quality will show as they are more than just another schollie filling a uniform as we have had many wasted schollies before. PLayoffs this year - maybe.

The evidence will be in MVFC play this year. Look competitive and its lights out next year.

Paladin1aa
August 31st, 2023, 06:48 PM
King with a long TD run. YSU 7-0.

King showing why he will replace Rushton as the starter. The transfer is simply our best back now.

ysubigred
August 31st, 2023, 06:52 PM
King with a long TD run. YSU 7-0.

King showing why he will replace Rushton as the starter. The transfer is simply our best back now.Umm. I could have scored on that hole..

Paladin1aa
August 31st, 2023, 07:20 PM
Valpo kicks a FG

YSU 7

Valpo 3

Paladin1aa
August 31st, 2023, 07:29 PM
TD pass to Charleston

YSU 14

Valpo 3

Paladin1aa
August 31st, 2023, 07:46 PM
FG

YSU 17

Valpo 3

ysubigred
August 31st, 2023, 07:46 PM
17 - 3

ysubigred
August 31st, 2023, 07:54 PM
I'm sitting here watching this. It's not looking good for 5 games W..

Paladin1aa
August 31st, 2023, 07:57 PM
Half time

YSU 17-10

The Yo Show
August 31st, 2023, 07:59 PM
Yeah hopefully my optimism isn't misplaced, but I have butler vibes right now

Paladin1aa
August 31st, 2023, 08:03 PM
Erratic 1st half. Too many substitutions - 4 RBs, 2 QBs, etc. played a ton of players

Need to leave your starters in for a qtr, get some continuity, concentrate on run game and stop playing around.

King 7 carry for 101 yds and TD. Davidson need work.

ysubigred
August 31st, 2023, 08:13 PM
My guess is,, YSU doesn't want to give tOSU any good game film. So we can kick their ass..

penguinpower
August 31st, 2023, 08:17 PM
Erratic 1st half. Too many substitutions - 4 RBs, 2 QBs, etc. played a ton of players

Need to leave your starters in for a qtr, get some continuity, concentrate on run game and stop playing around.

King 7 carry for 101 yds and TD. Davidson need work.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^ is SPOT ON

Paladin1aa
August 31st, 2023, 08:19 PM
Quick evaluation - the OC needs his arse kicked. Stop being cute - run game,run game, run game. Have Davidson throw off play action. Stop with mass substitutions. Let the first team find their identity. Too many penalties and mistakes. Get them ready coaches.

RunnD is solid but giving up over 100 yds passing. Press the WRs.

penguinpower
August 31st, 2023, 08:19 PM
YSU's plan is to wear them down. But you can't do it if the offense isn't on the field grinding it out.

Paladin1aa
August 31st, 2023, 08:25 PM
YSU blocks punt for TD

YSU 24

Valpo 10

Paladin1aa
August 31st, 2023, 08:33 PM
Targeting ? Are you shatting me ?

Horrible call

Paladin1aa
August 31st, 2023, 08:34 PM
Blitz hits QB. Fumble. Guins have it.

kick arse

The Yo Show
August 31st, 2023, 08:37 PM
Losing Trowers for the 1st half of the Ohio State game is going to be rough for us, given Ohio State's WR room.

Paladin1aa
August 31st, 2023, 08:39 PM
Davidson TD run

YSU 31

Valpo 10

Paladin1aa
August 31st, 2023, 08:43 PM
Guin ball on kickoff snafu.

Paladin1aa
August 31st, 2023, 08:52 PM
King TD run

YSU 38

Valpo 10

Paladin1aa
August 31st, 2023, 09:06 PM
YSU forces a fumble.

Walker for long TD run.

YSU 45

Valpo 10

ysubigred
August 31st, 2023, 09:08 PM
YSU forces a fumble.

Walker for long TD run.

YSU 45

Valpo 10Whatley..

ysubigred
August 31st, 2023, 09:10 PM
.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230901/39af502088d5fbe2ef61d17a18647d87.jpg

Paladin1aa
August 31st, 2023, 09:39 PM
QB Brungard 5 yd TD run

YSU 52

Valpo 10

mid 4th qtr

Paladin1aa
August 31st, 2023, 09:53 PM
Final YSU 52-10.

Played everyone including the mangers. What a zoo.

BeamMeUp
August 31st, 2023, 10:02 PM
Final YSU 52-10.

Played everyone including the mangers. What a zoo.
Held Valpo to 40 yards rushing on 26 carries, which is what I had hoped we would see as that should be the strength of our team.

The offense was a mess in the first half. Poor play-calling on multiple series. Davidson did not look sharp either. He must be better if we have any shot this year.

But… despite how poorly we played, we still took care of business 52-10. Onto Columbus :(

Paladin1aa
September 1st, 2023, 10:45 AM
To wrap up the game, poor first half coaching with massive player substitutions, too many penalties,, and play calling was just DUMB. YSU showed a solid run game with 302 net yds lead by King with 11 runs for 111 yds and 2 TDS, followed by Whatley with 5 runs for 59 yds and a TD and Harris with 7 for 58 yds. That was expected.

Davidson was erratic passing but settled down completing 11 of 19 attempts for 130 yds and a TD. Brungard showed around 50 yds running and a few short throws for completions, also as expected.

The special teams were outstanding , getting scores, D had sacks and holding Valpo to 40 run yards. However they gave up 155 pas yds, mostly early. The D will no doubt be very very good this year.

On to Ohio State where a win will be no injuries, a big paycheck and a stop at a nice steakhouse on the way home. OSU will roll big time but if we come out healthy, the competition makes us better.

Coach gets a pass but the OC needs to pull his head out of his arse. Work on cutting down on penalties.