PDA

View Full Version : PL Pick'Em Week 0

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 24th, 2023, 07:26 PM
If no other reason but for continuity purposes as we progress through the season....

Fordham 31 Albany 27

DFW HOYA
August 24th, 2023, 07:52 PM
If no other reason but for continuity purposes as we progress through the season....

Fordham 31 Albany 27

Flip it for home field advantage:

Albany 31, Fordham 27

bonarae
August 24th, 2023, 09:08 PM
Albany - toss-up still...

RichH2
August 24th, 2023, 09:45 PM
A shootout I expect. Rams reloaded the O. Will a new DC fix their D?

Fordham

caribbeanhen
August 24th, 2023, 10:49 PM
Albany on the back of Poffenbarger

this should be a good one

Fordham
August 25th, 2023, 07:06 AM
A shootout I expect. Rams reloaded the O. Will a new DC fix their D?

Fordham

This sums it up. Hoping they don’t jump out on us quickly with stud QB and transfer WRs. If we can hang tough early I think this will be a good game but the possibility exists for an early blowout

Let’s go Rams!!

Leopard Loyalist
August 25th, 2023, 09:58 PM
Albany, but a tough pick to start the season with.

NY Crusader 2010
August 26th, 2023, 05:03 AM
Fordham

crusader11
August 26th, 2023, 08:13 AM
Fordham is a fringe top 25 club.

Rams win 40-35

Wolffan
August 26th, 2023, 09:31 AM
Albany may be better than last year, their very impressive QB is back, and they're playing at home.

Albany

caribbeanhen
August 26th, 2023, 10:31 AM
Fordham is a fringe top 25 club.

Rams win 40-35

Albany almost beat Fordham last year in the Bronx so this one should be Albanys game, except they always find ways to lose

KPSUL
August 26th, 2023, 11:34 AM
I picked Albany over on the CAA Pick'em, so I think I'll hedge my bet and take Fordham here on the PL Pick'em - that way I'll have a place to gloat either way!

RichH2
August 26th, 2023, 05:26 PM
I picked Albany over on the CAA Pick'em, so I think I'll hedge my bet and take Fordham here on the PL Pick'em - that way I'll have a place to gloat either way!

🤣😅😂🤣👍

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 26th, 2023, 05:57 PM
I don't have flo nor do I feel like paying for it so updates are welcome beyond what the typical online scoreboard offers; i.e. providing actual context.....

crusader11
August 26th, 2023, 06:04 PM
I don't have flo nor do I feel like paying for it so updates are welcome beyond what the typical online scoreboard offers; i.e. providing actual context.....

Begrudgingly just paid the $19.99. Looking forward to watching meaningful football for the next three hours.

crusader11
August 26th, 2023, 06:09 PM
I’m reminded just how poor these Flo broadcasts are.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 26th, 2023, 06:15 PM
Begrudgingly just paid the $19.99. Looking forward to watching meaningful football for the next three hours.

I got Phils/Cardinals, San Diego State vs Ohio, Jackson State vs South Carolina St, and NASCAR at Daytona to keep me happy tonight. With that said, I did consider it knowing how mediocre Flo is.....

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 26th, 2023, 06:30 PM
Albany 7-0 5:25 1Q

crusader11
August 26th, 2023, 06:35 PM
Early thoughts on CJ Montes after two drives — average.

Missed on a couple throws in the red zone.

Loughridge is the real deal. He’s going to be getting 25+ touches (rushing and receiving) a game.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 26th, 2023, 06:39 PM
Did Albany rebrand their athletic logo? ESPN is using a cartoon dane with UAlbany written in tiny print below it. Is the iconic "A" out? Or at least I thought it was iconic.....

crusader11
August 26th, 2023, 07:21 PM
Sure, it’s early, but I’ve seen enough to know that CJ Montes ain’t it.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 26th, 2023, 07:27 PM
Albany 21-6 0:41 2Q

caribbeanhen
August 26th, 2023, 07:31 PM

was the thinking same

meanwhile Poffenbarger is as real as it gets

crusader11
August 26th, 2023, 07:34 PM
Conlin is supposed to put Jack Capaldi in to start the second half.

This offense needs a jolt and Montes won’t give it to them.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 26th, 2023, 07:51 PM
Conlin is supposed to put Jack Capaldi in to start the second half.

This offense needs a jolt and Montes won’t give it to them.

Rams definitely need a jolt....

DFW HOYA
August 26th, 2023, 08:07 PM
Rams definitely need a jolt....

Fordham 13
Albany 21
11:45 3rd

crusader11
August 26th, 2023, 08:49 PM
I was wrong on Fordham. They took a bigger step back than I thought they would in losing OC Decker and WB DeMorat…and CJ Montes isn’t the guy here.

Albany 31, Fordham 13

DFW HOYA
August 26th, 2023, 09:05 PM
Fordham 13
Albany 34
7:14 4th

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 26th, 2023, 09:17 PM
One never knows how a season will turn out after a single game. Nevertheless, having the clear, by virtually all accounts, second place team in the PL get run over by a middling to bottom tier CAA squad is not a good look. The last thing the PL needs is to be back to being a one team league...

caribbeanhen
August 26th, 2023, 09:36 PM
One never knows how a season will turn out after a single game. Nevertheless, having the clear, by virtually all accounts, second place team in the PL get run over by a middling to bottom tier CAA squad is not a good look. The last thing the PL needs is to be back to being a one team league...

Fordy got Puffenburglured

He makes Albany decent in CAA

Despite the Final score, I thought Fordham looked pretty physical on D, just wasn’t there night

MUHAWKS
August 26th, 2023, 10:01 PM
I will preface with the customary "too early to tell, only week 1 BS" but as I thought, Fordham just not very good. Their defense was bad last year and they lost a top FCS QB. Albany is a sneaky team who can probably beat almost anyone but also lose to a lot of teams too. Personally I think Albany will compete and that QB will have them in most games, but with that said- Fordham is probably not just an average FCS team but average PL team.

Go...gate
August 26th, 2023, 10:08 PM
Fordham lost a lot from last year. Always challenging to re-tool in our conference.

DFW HOYA
August 26th, 2023, 10:09 PM
Personally I think Albany will compete and that QB will have them in most games, but with that said- Fordham is probably not just an average FCS team but average PL team.

Fordham is still the 2nd best PL team. The other five still aren't at its level right now.

Leopard Loyalist
August 26th, 2023, 10:25 PM
Fordham is still the 2nd best PL team. The other five still aren't at its level right now.

That remains to be seen. Fordham put up Lafayette-style offensive numbers tonight. 37 yards rushing.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 26th, 2023, 10:29 PM
That remains to be seen. Fordham put up Lafayette-style offensive numbers tonight. 37 yards rushing.

Which is crazy because I think they had close to 40 yards rushing after their first drive!

The Boogie Down
August 26th, 2023, 10:39 PM

Unlike you I wanted to give Montes at least one full game before commenting. But I fear ya might be right after all. The kid is very fast and has such a naturally easy release that when things are clicking (like the first drive of the second half), he looks almost Mahomes-ish. Well, the Patsy version of Mahomes-ish at least.

When things aren't clicking (like pretty much every other drive), he looks PSAC level. If that.

On paper, yeah, he has the goods, but even a strong fart gust can take him down. Think ya gotta go back to Floyd Patterson to find anyone rolling around on all fours as often as Montes. And unlike Floyd, the kid doesn't seem to have much upstairs. Constantly blowing off open check downs for someone in traffic and then sailing it over his target's head. In the end he was 18-31, 198 yards, 1 TD, 0 Ints. Not horrible numbers but if he didn't overthrow everyone, including the coverage, I'm guessing there coulda been about 2 or 3 picks mixed in there as well.

But the real number that stands out is the 8, EIGHT sacks Montes took! One of them led to a fumble and a momentum-changing Albany TD to close the first half. It was a blind side hit but still, Montes can't fumble there. I dunno... Maybe Fordham has an '89 Jets type 0-line? Maybe Albany has an '81 Jets type D-line? Or maybe Montes, who took 16 sacks in just a handful of games at New Mexico, simply goes down that easily.

Very tough to watch. Especially since Fordham has two very tough running backs. Together Julius Loughridge and (Utah transfer) Ricky Parks combined for 81 yards on just 16 carries. Problem was, in a game that was close on the scoreboard for three quarters, they only got 16 rushes.

Gonna need A LOT more running up the gut and A LOT less Montes rolling out the edges for Fordham to be successful. I don't expect Conlin to carry Crusader11's smarts, but hopefully he'll figure this out at some point in the season.

MUHAWKS
August 26th, 2023, 10:45 PM

I respectfully disagree and think Lafayette will hold that spot when all said and done. with that said I know very little about Colgate.

Go...gate
August 26th, 2023, 11:24 PM
I respectfully disagree and think Lafayette will hold that spot when all said and done. with that said I know very little about Colgate.

Colgate is definitely an unknown.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 26th, 2023, 11:51 PM
Colgate is definitely an unknown.

Pretty much everyone is an unknown other than HC. I still think Fordham's talent level is the second best in the league. The question is can Conlin develop it and remold the staff without skipping too much of a beat? I thought Conlin showed quite a bit of progress as a HC following the Ohio meltdown. Maybe Demorat was that good? Ala Randolph and Gilmore?

Everyone will be on full display next week for critique. Sadly, I will be heading back from DC so I'll miss a good portion of the early games. My first good look at Lehigh likely won't come until the Cornell game on the 16th. A game I plan to attend....

Go...gate
August 27th, 2023, 12:01 AM
Pretty much everyone is an unknown other than HC. I still think Fordham's talent level is the second best in the league. The question is can Conlin develop it and remold the staff without skipping too much of a beat? I thought Conlin showed quite a bit of progress as a HC following the Ohio meltdown. Maybe Demorat was that good? Ala Randolph and Gilmore?

Everyone will be on full display next week for critique. Sadly, I will be heading back from DC so I'll miss a good portion of the early games. My first good look at Lehigh likely won't come until the Cornell game on the 16th. A game I plan to attend....

One of the consistently accurate observations by coaches - Dunlap and Biddle cited it often - is that a team makes the most progress between its first and second games. I have few illusions about Colgate's opener with Syracuse, but I believe it will help us for Villanova, Penn and Holy Cross.

Wolffan
August 27th, 2023, 02:41 AM
Fordham’s still a good PL team but they’ve slipped a bit talent wise and lost to a CAA team they beat by 3 at home last year. Just that simple.

Don’t see them losing in the PL (except to HC) …can see them ranked about 60-ish at season’s end.

crusader11
August 27th, 2023, 06:55 AM
Unlike you I wanted to give Montes at least one full game before commenting. But I fear ya might be right after all. The kid is very fast and has such a naturally easy release that when things are clicking (like the first drive of the second half), he looks almost Mahomes-ish. Well, the Patsy version of Mahomes-ish at least.

When things aren't clicking (like pretty much every other drive), he looks PSAC level. If that.

On paper, yeah, he has the goods, but even a strong fart gust can take him down. Think ya gotta go back to Floyd Patterson to find anyone rolling around on all fours as often as Montes. And unlike Floyd, the kid doesn't seem to have much upstairs. Constantly blowing off open check downs for someone in traffic and then sailing it over his target's head. In the end he was 18-31, 198 yards, 1 TD, 0 Ints. Not horrible numbers but if he didn't overthrow everyone, including the coverage, I'm guessing there coulda been about 2 or 3 picks mixed in there as well.

But the real number that stands out is the 8, EIGHT sacks Montes took! One of them led to a fumble and a momentum-changing Albany TD to close the first half. It was a blind side hit but still, Montes can't fumble there. I dunno... Maybe Fordham has an '89 Jets type 0-line? Maybe Albany has an '81 Jets type D-line? Or maybe Montes, who took 16 sacks in just a handful of games at New Mexico, simply goes down that easily.

Very tough to watch. Especially since Fordham has two very tough running backs. Together Julius Loughridge and (Utah transfer) Ricky Parks combined for 81 yards on just 16 carries. Problem was, in a game that was close on the scoreboard for three quarters, they only got 16 rushes.

Gonna need A LOT more running up the gut and A LOT less Montes rolling out the edges for Fordham to be successful. I don't expect Conlin to carry Crusader11's smarts, but hopefully he'll figure this out at some point in the season.

I think this is a really strong take.

Upon reflection, I’m willing to give Montes and Conlin the benefit of the doubt. Week zero game against one of the better teams on their schedule. It’s going to get a bit easier from here. A home game against Wagner is just what the doctor ordered.

That said, there were simple things Montes didn’t do that is a chase for concern — limited awareness in the pocket, inability to read past the first option, and a poor job of reading Albany’s defense.

It seems like he’s quick, so I’m surprised Fordham’s OC didn’t try and find ways to move him out of the pocket. Might have been comfortable operating there.

Also, I think Loughridge is the real thing. Get him the damn ball.

Thought the Fordham defense was a bit better. The offense really hung them out to dry and they got worn down as the game went on.

The PL is bad enough that they could still go 5-1 and end up having an okay season.

caribbeanhen
August 27th, 2023, 07:10 AM
I didn’t see CJ Montes as fast really, but quick? Maybe but so small he goes down at the drop of a hat.

CJ will make some plays but what’s obvious is Fordham fans were spoiled by the great play of Demorat

I thought Fordham D was pretty physical early in game but as the season rolls along and Poffenbarger becomes a household name as one of the best QBs in FCS, this loss won’t seem as bad

NY Crusader 2010
August 27th, 2023, 12:56 PM
I didn’t see CJ Montes as fast really, but quick? Maybe but so small he goes down at the drop of a hat.

CJ will make some plays but what’s obvious is Fordham fans were spoiled by the great play of Demorat

I thought Fordham D was pretty physical early in game but as the season rolls along and Poffenbarger becomes a household name as one of the best QBs in FCS, this loss won’t seem as bad

Fordham fans have been spoiled with 15 years of mostly great QB play with Skelton, Niebrich & DeMorat.

KPSUL
August 27th, 2023, 06:32 PM

Monte chipped in with a net -44 rushing yards due to all the sacks. As far as this early season 2023 Fordham team, they not only lost an outstanding QB, they also lost an excellent RB in Trey Snead. And on top of that, they lost a very effective OC, Kevin Decker, who moved to FBS ODU. The offense we saw yesterday was a shadow of what was on the field last season.