View Full Version : Week Zero 2023 Score Thread

bonarae
August 24th, 2023, 05:44 PM
This is it!

Here are games for this Saturday:

UNA vs. Mercer in Montgomery, AL - 3:30 PM
Fordham at Albany - 7 PM
S.C. State vs. Jackson State in Atlanta, GA - 7:30 PM

With the ESPN feed being unreliable (in addition to NCAA dot com where I get my list of games), I will try to find other games from conference websites for the coming weeks.

Reign of Terrier
August 24th, 2023, 06:25 PM
Buddy Pough of SC State announced he is retiring after this year. So that's a storyline to watch.

bonarae
August 26th, 2023, 04:04 AM
Bumping this for today's games.

crusader11
August 26th, 2023, 10:11 AM
I’ve always wondered the purpose of this score thread — is it meant as a general conversation for all games, or to post score updates? If the latter, wouldn’t one just go to ESPN for scores?

caribbeanhen
August 26th, 2023, 10:20 AM
I’ve always wondered the purpose of this score thread — is it meant as a general conversation for all games, or to post score updates? If the latter, wouldn’t one just go to ESPN for scores?

fair question, but some of those big media sites can be pretty crowded and harder to navigate looking for a scores, on here you can scroll through pretty quick and get a good idea of what’s going on

KPSUL
August 26th, 2023, 10:42 AM
Just bookmark this link:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/scoreboard/_/group/81

lionsrking2
August 26th, 2023, 10:56 AM
fair question, but some of those big media sites can be pretty crowded and harder to navigate looking for a scores, on here you can scroll through pretty quick and get a good idea of what’s going on

Never understood this thread either. It's more cumbersome to check scores here than to use ESPN scoreboard.

rtzlunar
August 26th, 2023, 12:02 PM
FUBear - your thoughts on Mercer -21.5?

Reign of Terrier
August 26th, 2023, 12:04 PM
Reasons for this thread and threads like it:
1) It's tradition, from a time when scores weren't so easy to come by. AGS has been around for over 20 years, and I'd say the availability of FCS scores wasn't ubiquitous through smartphones until like a decade ago. I'm flashing back to 2007 when me and my dad were crowded into our little study listening to the radio call of the Wofford-Montana game. We've come a long way! Score threads are a nice tradition
2) Generally commentary on the scores being talked about.
3) Sometimes this thread can update faster than the gamecast, when something crazy happen. Gamecast is often 2 plays behind.

Lastly, and I say this in the most endearing way possible, AGS is not the site it used to be with the number of football-obsessed schools with big fanbases moving up and NDSU basically running the subdivision. I'm a big fan of (within reason) have everyone post whatever thread they want and let threads go whatever direction they go (within reason)

Reign of Terrier
August 26th, 2023, 12:06 PM

Makes sense as UNA is coming off a 1-10 year with no division one wins, a completely new two deep of players that didn't suit up for the Lions last year, and a brand new coach. Meanwhile, Mercer is a team bringing back most starters from last year and was a bubble or playoff worthy team for the last two seasons. I'll be surprised if Mercer scores less than 30.

rtzlunar
August 26th, 2023, 12:18 PM
Makes sense as UNA is coming off a 1-10 year with no division one wins, a completely new two deep of players that didn't suit up for the Lions last year, and a brand new coach. Meanwhile, Mercer is a team bringing back most starters from last year and was a bubble or playoff worthy team for the last two seasons. I'll be surprised if Mercer scores less than 30.

Thanks. I’m trying to decide on betting the spread or the total. 58.5

FUBeAR
August 26th, 2023, 12:25 PM
Welp - since FUBeAR has projected the game as 45-10 for the Bears, he would be inclined to advise you to empty all of your accounts and the kids’ piggy banks.

BUT - If one were using their brain, one would say Mercer has a new QB (sorta) and as RoT noted, we have no idea what UNA has - so…FUBeAR wouldn’t bet this game with any money that he wasn’t prepared to burn.

FUBeAR
August 26th, 2023, 12:27 PM
Thanks. I’m trying to decide on betting the spread or the total. 58.5
Gun to head, FUBeAR would bet the over here.

ElCid
August 26th, 2023, 01:49 PM

Some sites are just bad. It's fun to see updates here. I've wondered the same, but quickly dismissed it when I think of the fun of folks posting here.

rtzlunar
August 26th, 2023, 02:09 PM
Approaching kickoff in Montgomery. Nothing says football like a temperature of100.

FUBeAR
August 26th, 2023, 02:51 PM
Big KOR by All-American RS/WR Devron Harper

Methodical grinding drive w/1 p/a to TE by SoCon #1 Offense

Perfect fade route by All-American WR Ty James & perfect dime dropped by 2020 SoCon Freshman of Year QB Carter Peevy.

Mercer leads 7-0 after 1 possession.

ElCid
August 26th, 2023, 02:57 PM
Oopsie. FUBeAR going apoplectic about now.

SU DOG
August 26th, 2023, 02:59 PM
What some dumb offensive calls by UNA.

ElCid
August 26th, 2023, 03:22 PM
Welp - since FUBeAR has projected the game as 45-10 for the Bears, he would be inclined to advise you to empty all of your accounts and the kids’ piggy banks.

BUT - If one were using their brain, one would say Mercer has a new QB (sorta) and as RoT noted, we have no idea what UNA has - so…FUBeAR wouldn’t bet this game with any money that he wasn’t prepared to burn.

Looking like good advice. But it's early still

FUBeAR
August 26th, 2023, 03:32 PM
Looking like good advice. But it's early still…betting the over not looking like a good play

The Cats
August 26th, 2023, 03:33 PM

Perfect fade route by All-American WR Ty James & perfect dime dropped by 2020 SoCon Freshman of Year QB Carter Peevy.

I guess it was nice that Mercer had one good possession in the first quarter. Haven't shown much since that opening drive...

MSUBobcat
August 26th, 2023, 03:34 PM

Posts like this are why the thread exists, IMO. They add color commentary to the gamecast, and especially over the main ESPN scoreboard page.

FUBeAR
August 26th, 2023, 03:35 PM
I guess it was nice that Mercer had one good possession in the first quarter. Haven't shown much since that opening drive...
Thanks for your score update in this score thread.

The Cats
August 26th, 2023, 03:43 PM
Thanks for your score update in this score thread.

Oh, yeah, it's 7-7 with about 7 mins remaining in the half.

The Cats
August 26th, 2023, 03:55 PM
After being held out of the end zone by the UNA defense, the Bears make a 24 yard field goal...

10-7 Mercer, 4:40 remaining in the half.

FUBeAR
August 26th, 2023, 03:57 PM
Mercer, after their 1st possession, seems to be treating this like a heavyweight bout - Jack Johnson vs. Jess Willard scheduled for 45 rounds in Havana https://www.cigaraficionado.com/article/the-fight-that-made-havana-famous-18122 in 110 degree heat comes to mind.

Throwing lots of body punches…

Bears get a FG after another methodical possession; lead 10-7 with 4:40 left in 1sr half.

FUBeAR
August 26th, 2023, 04:00 PM
After being held out of the end zone by the UNA defense, the Bears make a 24 yard field goal...

10-7 Mercer, 4:40 remaining in the half.yeah - you’re much better at this. You take it.

POD Knows
August 26th, 2023, 04:04 PM
I mean seriously. WTF UNA. I thought NDSU sucked at 2 minute drills.

crusader11
August 26th, 2023, 04:09 PM
Probably a combination of first game issues, Mercer not being as good as we thought, and North Alabama being a bit better.

But, what can we truly surmise through 30 minutes as to the season-long prospects for both teams? Not a ton, IMO.

JSUSoutherner
August 26th, 2023, 04:10 PM
Both of these teams look really really bad.

crusader11
August 26th, 2023, 04:13 PM

True. It has also had the feel and look of a scrimmage.

The Cats
August 26th, 2023, 04:14 PM
yeah - you’re much better at this. You take it.

Hey, it's not my fault Mercer has failed to live up to your expectations. UNA won one game last season, that game was against a DII team. Mercer should have this game out of reach by halftime, rather that just a field goal ahead.

Yeah, it's hot - but both teams are playing in the same conditions... or just maybe, UNA's defense it better than expected?

ElCid
August 26th, 2023, 04:15 PM

The whole game changed on the muffed punt. N Alabama looked lost until that happened. Big momentum change.

The Cats
August 26th, 2023, 04:20 PM

I'm certainly disappointed in Mercer's play up to this point. They are really missing Payton at QB.

MR. CHICKEN
August 26th, 2023, 04:21 PM
...LOOKS LIKE DUH 19 X-FERS.....HAVE MADE UH DIFF...FO' UNA..........BRAWK!

FUBeAR
August 26th, 2023, 04:34 PM

https://twitter.com/ncaa_fcs/status/1695526912074895715

KPSUL
August 26th, 2023, 04:45 PM
The unbridled excitement continues in the Mercer vs North Alabama game - weather delay!

FUBeAR
August 26th, 2023, 04:47 PM
The unbridled excitement continues in the Mercer vs North Alabama game - weather delay!
https://wpcdn.zenger.news/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/04185817/702a2798-1140-464d-9f93-7b8c1242fc97.gif

crusader11
August 26th, 2023, 04:55 PM
BEAR, your thoughts as we wait out the weather?

FUBeAR
August 26th, 2023, 04:59 PM

https://youtu.be/pVENWl8uBeg?feature=shared

ElCid
August 26th, 2023, 05:13 PM
Well this sucks.

POD Knows
August 26th, 2023, 05:24 PM
Well this sucks.
Yea no ****. Play this freaking game at a place where actual people will go to watch and it isn’t a freaking 100 degrees.

ElCid
August 26th, 2023, 05:30 PM
Yea no ****. Play this freaking game at a place where actual people will go to watch and it isn’t a freaking 100 degrees.

I couldn't even watch golf for a while during this delay since it was in a WX delay as well. Ahhh.

POD Knows
August 26th, 2023, 05:34 PM
I couldn't even watch golf for a while during this delay since it was in a WX delay as well. Ahhh.
I have checked the radar for Montgomery. It doesn’t look like there is anything there. What am I missing. I see they extended the delay again. Anyway, I am out. Go UNA

ElCid
August 26th, 2023, 05:43 PM
I have checked the radar for Montgomery. It doesn’t look like there is anything there. What am I missing. I see they extended the delay again. Anyway, I am out. Go UNA

It's lightning strikes within 10 miles I think. May not be registering as precipitation, but if a lightning strike happens, it resets the clock. There were some cells not far west so I suspect that is the case.

JSUSoutherner
August 26th, 2023, 05:46 PM
Weather delay for what? There's nothing on radar.

ElCid
August 26th, 2023, 05:56 PM
Weather delay for what? There's nothing on radar.

30 minutes after last lightning strike within 10 miles. There was a small cell within 10 miles about 30 minutes ago, so...starting shortly.

ElCid
August 26th, 2023, 06:02 PM
UNA ready to tie it up.

ElCid
August 26th, 2023, 06:04 PM
UNA ready to tie it up.

Or go ahead.

ElCid
August 26th, 2023, 06:07 PM
Nope. Mercer holds and forced FG. And blocks FG! Wow. Could change momentum big time. 10-7 still.

bonarae
August 26th, 2023, 06:35 PM
UAlbany 7, Fordham 3 1:08 1Q

bonarae
August 26th, 2023, 06:47 PM
UAlbany 7, Fordham 6 13:40 2Q

- - - Updated - - -

Jackson State 7, S.C. State 0 12:31 1Q
Mercer 17, UNA 7 11:45 left

FUBeAR
August 26th, 2023, 07:18 PM
Double-digit W (17-7) over a talented Team.

1-0

No significant injuries of which FUBeAR is aware.

Lots of great learnings providing roadmap for improvement.

1 Sweet Trophy

Lots of smiles

https://twitter.com/MercerFootball/status/1695594134512324926

Beat the LandSharkRebelBears!!!

bonarae
August 26th, 2023, 07:21 PM
FINAL:
Mercer 17, UNA 7

UAlbany 21, Fordham 6 :41 2Q

crusader11
August 26th, 2023, 07:28 PM
Double-digit W (17-7) over a talented Team.

1-0

No significant injuries of which FUBeAR is aware.

Lots of great learnings providing roadmap for improvement.

Beat the LandSharkRebelBears!!!

Nice spin!

The Yo Show
August 26th, 2023, 07:28 PM
Fordham needs to score a TD to show some life or this one is going to get ugly.

GAD
August 26th, 2023, 07:30 PM
TD Jackson State 14 - 0

FUBeAR
August 26th, 2023, 07:35 PM
Nice spin!
Depends on what happens in Week1 of course, but probably will hold Mercer @ #15. Doubt they would go higher than #12…unless they have a win or exceptional performance in Oxford.

With a win over Chatt next week (Heaven forbid), because FUBeAR is not a moron - not married to his preseason rankings nor last year’s results (unlike so many poll voters), he could see UNA slipping up into his Top 25.

bonarae
August 26th, 2023, 07:38 PM
No slack left but Jackson State has rebuilt...

Jackson State 14, S.C. State 0 10:11 2Q

POD Knows
August 26th, 2023, 07:39 PM
Depends on what happens in Week1 of course, but probably will hold Mercer @ #15. Doubt they would go higher than #12…unless they have a win or exceptional performance in Oxford.
They get dropped a few spots in my poll maybe, I think I had them at 17, depends on what everybody else does but Mercer underperformed big time in this game.

FUBeAR
August 26th, 2023, 07:48 PM
They get dropped a few spots in my poll maybe, I think I had them at 17, depends on what everybody else does but Mercer underperformed big time in this game.
Perhaps…Perhaps not…as FUBeAR noted pre-game, with 11 transfers starting on D and 8 on O, for all any of us know (really), UNA could be better than SDSU or they could be worse than Presbyterian.

Observation today tells me they’re closer to the former than they are the latter. They are well-coached and have exceptional Team speed. Those 2 things alone will win a few FCS games.

crusader11
August 26th, 2023, 07:51 PM
Perhaps…Perhaps not…as FUBeAR noted pre-game, with 11 transfers starting on D and 8 on O, for all any of us know (really), UNA could be better than SDSU or they could be worse than Presbyterian.

Observation today tells me they’re closer to the former than they are the latter. They are well-coached and have exceptional Team speed. Those 2 things alone will win a few FCS games.

If XYZ CAA team had this performance against North Alabama today, you’d be singing a much different tune.

MSUBobcat
August 26th, 2023, 07:54 PM
If XYZ CAA team had this performance against North Alabama today, you’d be singing a much different tune.

Bruh.... if this was a Big Sky team... he'd say we barely deserve an AQ.

FUBeAR
August 26th, 2023, 07:58 PM
1) C’mon, everyone knows CAA Teams aren’t allowed to play OOC games against Teams outside the NEC.
2) You don’t know what song FUBeAR would be singing. He has an elaborate set list.

crusader11
August 26th, 2023, 08:02 PM
1) C’mon, everyone knows CAA Teams aren’t allowed to play OOC games against Teams outside the NEC.
2) You don’t know what song FUBeAR would be singing. He has an elaborate set list.

Just a hunch.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W2wrtoloJ6k

MSUBobcat
August 26th, 2023, 08:05 PM
I'm not going to glean too much from this game. The conditions were hot, which I would think normally would allow a superior athletically team to eventually impose their will a bit, but that's my opinion. And there's also the possibility that UNA drastically improved from last year with the transfers. What say ye? Is there reason to fear the Bear? Or did tUNA lose its stink from last year?

FUBeAR
August 26th, 2023, 08:14 PM
Just a hunch.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W2wrtoloJ6kFUBeAR's quite lovely classmate just may have written that song about him. That's the persistent rumor.

BearDownMU
August 26th, 2023, 08:49 PM
I just got back to GA from Montgomery. Here's my quick assessment. tUNA is pretty big and pretty fast, I can tell you that. Athletic for sure. They should win some games this year.

Our defense honestly was pretty darn good. 7 points given up and stopped drives after a muffed punt in the red zone and blocked field goal. Mercer stopped tUNA on FOUR 4th and 1s.

Now for the bad stuff. Just not sharp at all on offense. That said, we ran inside zone 500 times and didn't really try and do anything in the downfield passing game. Peevy looked hesitant and tight at best but seemed to loosen up in the 2nd half. Not sure why you only throw it 15 times with one of the best WR combos in all of FCS. By design? Don't know. I did hear rumblings that because of the tUNA coaching change and the 40 transfers, there was little to no film to prepare. Don't know that Cronic had much of an inclination as to what they would be doing on either side of the ball, and the offensive game plan was about as vanilla as I've ever seen a Drew Cronic concoction.

All that said, the most important time of any football season is the improvement from week 1 to week 2. So we will see how much gets cleaned up. But it's a Div I win in a neutral site stadium with a 112 degree field temp when we played about as bad as we can play on offense. So I'm hardly folding up my tent for the season.

FUBeAR
August 26th, 2023, 08:59 PM
Bruh.... if this was a Big Sky team... he'd say we barely deserve an AQ.
C'mon, everyone knows Big Sky Teams aren't allowed to play OOC games against Full-Scholarshipped FCS Teams.

The Cats
August 26th, 2023, 09:04 PM

You've got to win the games you're supposed to win, the Bears did that today/tonight. I just wish it have been by a wider margin.

Reign of Terrier
August 26th, 2023, 09:11 PM
So it was a bad call by me to say Mercer should score 30. The fact is, it's week one and though Peevy had spring ball experience, he's still a new QB and the Bears haven't played since 2022. Rust is expected, especially when it's 100 degrees+ outside.

I only watched the first half but my thoughts are that the front 7 for Mercer is solid, but some teams like Samford and Western and Wofford may be licking their chops a bit for a few holes in the passing game. In the first half, it seemed like UNA had some success mixing up the pass and run, with the latter opening up the former, especially when tempo was ran.

I think UNA will definitely be better than last year. Don't ask me if they can be a playoff contender - I have no idea. If I'm Mercer I'm proud of the defensive performance, but disappointed at the offense's execution, with the various mistakes like flags and turnovers stalling drives. I think both teams should be excited because they're going to get better each week.

Having said all that, when the preseason hype died down and we see Mercer in real time, it's worth noting that with as many teams in the FCS that are bringing back crazy amounts of starters from last year, this game is a good reminder that lots of these teams weren't perfect last year, and many of these teams have the same weaknesses as last year.

I don't think we can draw any deep assessments of either team though, especially not UNA.

ElCid
August 26th, 2023, 09:14 PM
Opening day games are sometimes not as expected. Add to it the heat and wx delay and it was satisfactory. A few errors here and there, but Mercer won. Can't tell much about either team until the next few games in order to put it in proper perspective.

MR. CHICKEN
August 26th, 2023, 09:15 PM
ALBANY 31
FORDHAM 13 13:23 4Q

ElCid
August 26th, 2023, 09:16 PM
ALBANY 31
FORDHAM 13 13:23 4Q

That's getting out of hand.

MR. CHICKEN
August 26th, 2023, 09:17 PM
ALBANY 34
FORDHAM 13 7:14 4Q

FUBeAR
August 26th, 2023, 09:18 PM
SCORE UPDATE: Jay Walker with a Freaknik call-out in his "Gimme 5" segment. He went straight from saluting Edwin Moses and Dr. King....to pipin' up 'bout Freaknik! That's definitely a score in some realm of something. IYKYK

MR. CHICKEN
August 26th, 2023, 09:27 PM
ALBANY 34
FORDHAM 13 FINAL

caribbeanhen
August 26th, 2023, 09:31 PM
ALBANY 34
FORDHAM 13 FINAL

Poffenbarger very impressive tonight

kid is a baller

MSUBobcat
August 26th, 2023, 09:39 PM
I just got back to GA from Montgomery. Here's my quick assessment. tUNA is pretty big and pretty fast, I can tell you that. Athletic for sure. They should win some games this year.

Our defense honestly was pretty darn good. 7 points given up and stopped drives after a muffed punt in the red zone and blocked field goal. Mercer stopped tUNA on FOUR 4th and 1s.

Now for the bad stuff. Just not sharp at all on offense. That said, we ran inside zone 500 times and didn't really try and do anything in the downfield passing game. Peevy looked hesitant and tight at best but seemed to loosen up in the 2nd half. Not sure why you only throw it 15 times with one of the best WR combos in all of FCS. By design? Don't know. I did hear rumblings that because of the tUNA coaching change and the 40 transfers, there was little to no film to prepare. Don't know that Cronic had much of an inclination as to what they would be doing on either side of the ball, and the offensive game plan was about as vanilla as I've ever seen a Drew Cronic concoction.

All that said, the most important time of any football season is the improvement from week 1 to week 2. So we will see how much gets cleaned up. But it's a Div I win in a neutral site stadium with a 112 degree field temp when we played about as bad as we can play on offense. So I'm hardly folding up my tent for the season.

Last paragraph is on the money. Good teams can fall a bit flat, especially in wk 1. I'm curious to see how UNA does in the coming weeks. Are they that much improved?

mvemjsunpx
August 26th, 2023, 09:56 PM
Jackson State beats up SC State 37-7 (was 37-0 until very late)

unknown-swac
August 27th, 2023, 04:31 AM
JSU's defense looked even better than the years before.

Gil Dobie
August 27th, 2023, 07:04 AM
So FUBear is closet Mercer fan.

McCowboys
August 27th, 2023, 07:07 AM
I know this isn't FCS related, but if you want to know why fans would be yelling to fire their coach after the first game of the season, just watch the last couple of minutes of the UTEP Miners game. Idiotic!

crusader11
August 27th, 2023, 07:39 AM

I don’t think he’s closeted. He’s mentioned that FUBear Jr. played at Mercer.

Ridge1982
August 27th, 2023, 08:02 AM
Mercer is not a top 25 team. A good team would have their backups in the game before halftime.

JSUSoutherner
August 27th, 2023, 08:08 AM
I know this isn't FCS related, but if you want to know why fans would be yelling to fire their coach after the first game of the season, just watch the last couple of minutes of the UTEP Miners game. Idiotic!
I hope they keep their coach for years to come.

Reign of Terrier
August 27th, 2023, 08:11 AM
I wouldn't overread week one/zero mishaps, especially with teams breaking in new QBs, new offenses, and new starters. I know the socon, so I can name a couple examples: Furman in 2018 stumbled out the gate against Elon and then went on to strong together a pretty good season; Wofford in 2019 broke in a newish offense in an epic failure but by the third or fourth game of the season, had it together and won the socon. I think UNA is going to win at minimum 3-4 games and Mercer will be fine. If the bears were bringing back their old QB and were that lackluster, or had won a playoff game, I'd e concerned. But at the end of the day, Mercer was a team last year that faltered at times. I don't expect them to be a better team than that in week one. As I've said, they'll get better, as will UNA

caribbeanhen
August 27th, 2023, 08:13 AM

What happened?

saw a pick late in game on ESPN app hi lights, one side of stands looked pretty empty

SU DOG
August 27th, 2023, 08:14 AM
Reading too much into an early season game can be very misleading. A shining example of that is seen in the SoCon results from last season. Samford had to make a dramatic comeback and score in the closing moment to get the win at Tenn Tech. Furman looked like a team on the ropes at Chuck South but made a late comeback to pull it out. There were gloom and doom comments after both of those close calls. The season turned out to be terrific for both of those teams. Just sayin....

McCowboys
August 27th, 2023, 08:24 AM

LOL

The Cats
August 27th, 2023, 08:28 AM

Oh no, FUBear is out of the closet.

MSUBobcat
August 27th, 2023, 10:29 AM

He's out and proud actually. He lists them as one of his teams and I always assumed that was where the "bear" part of the name came from, with creative capitalization so the capital letters spell "fubar".

BearDownMU
August 27th, 2023, 10:39 AM

Are you new here? Lol

BearDownMU
August 27th, 2023, 11:09 AM
Mercer is not a top 25 team. A good team would have their backups in the game before halftime.

You're probably right. We should get more MVFC/Big Sky teams in there.

WestCoastAggie
August 27th, 2023, 11:17 AM
SCORE UPDATE: Jay Walker with a Freaknik call-out in his "Gimme 5" segment. He went straight from saluting Edwin Moses and Dr. King....to pipin' up 'bout Freaknik! That's definitely a score in some realm of something. IYKYK
Not another Freaknik reference. Good grief!

WestCoastAggie
August 27th, 2023, 11:19 AM
I think we were completely wrong about Albany and Fordham. Albany will be a tough out in the CAA and Fordham lost way too much offensive talent in the booth and in the backfield to compete outside the PL.

caribbeanhen
August 27th, 2023, 11:52 AM
I think we were completely wrong about Albany and Fordham. Albany will be a tough out in the CAA and Fordham lost way too much offensive talent in the booth and in the backfield to compete outside the PL.

We?

As I remember it, most of the CAA guys picked Albany to win the game

Who did you pick? Wait, don’t answer that

All kidding aside, I think I know what you said and that is most didn’t see Albany as a top tier CAA team but that belief is being challenged now … maybe upper half team is a better way to say it

Any developments with the Aggies?

NY Crusader 2010
August 27th, 2023, 12:38 PM
We?

All kidding aside, I think I know what you said and that is most didn’t see Albany as a top tier CAA team but that belief is being challenged now … maybe upper half team is a better way to say it

My opinion -- last night's game taught us more about Fordham's team this year than Albany. Let's see the Great Danes get off to a good start in the CAA. Still a bottom-tier team in that league until we see otherwise. They have a good QB -- so that's a start. But Fordham's offense doesn't look to be even close to what it was last year. Defense will need to improve.

caribbeanhen
August 27th, 2023, 02:14 PM
My opinion -- last night's game taught us more about Fordham's team this year than Albany. Let's see the Great Danes get off to a good start in the CAA. Still a bottom-tier team in that league until we see otherwise. They have a good QB -- so that's a start. But Fordham's offense doesn't look to be even close to what it was last year. Defense will need to improve.

I hear you but now that the CAA has 15 teams in it, upper half isn’t really what it used to be

JSUSoutherner
August 27th, 2023, 02:57 PM
What happened?

saw a pick late in game on ESPN app hi lights, one side of stands looked pretty empty

North side is closed for renovation.

Basically we were leading the whole game, our last offensive drive we ran the QB three times to try to burn clock and got stuffed. Opened the door for UTEP to win. They went all the way down the field. Ended up in 3&1 after running the ball down our throat during the second half. They threw twice, we picked them off and they lost.

Basically they did their best Seahawks Superbowl impersonation.

WestCoastAggie
August 27th, 2023, 04:44 PM
We?

Regarding A&T:

I expect the 2023 A&T to look nothing like the 21 and 22 versions. And BTW: SC State's DC was A&T's co-coordinator last year and had playcalling allegedly taken away in the second half of the Aggie/Eagle classic last year. That defense we saw against Jackson State was the same one that we tried to run last year. It was bad then and it was bad last night.

But I digress...

I don't think many suspected Albany to dominate Fordham the way they did coming off a 1-7 performance in 2022. Well, I didn't at least. Kudos to the Danes.

KPSUL
August 27th, 2023, 06:12 PM
JSU's defense looked even better than the years before.

Never thought JSU would be that strong. Incredible team speed on the offense and defense. Because of all the player turnover, I considered picking FL A&M over JSU in the /week 0&1 Survivor game. Very happy I didn't.

caribbeanhen
August 27th, 2023, 06:39 PM
Regarding A&T:

I expect the 2023 A&T to look nothing like the 21 and 22 versions. And BTW: SC State's DC was A&T's co-coordinator last year and had playcalling allegedly taken away in the second half of the Aggie/Eagle classic last year. That defense we saw against Jackson State was the same one that we tried to run last year. It was bad then and it was bad last night.

But I digress...

I don't think many suspected Albany to dominate Fordham the way they did coming off a 1-7 performance in 2022. Well, I didn't at least. Kudos to the Danes.

Just saw a few high lights on Jackson St, speed kills and boy do they have it. It must be said that SC State might be just bad this year, by gawd they lost to Del State last year, no DC will have the answers for team speed like that.

If we could only get Jackson State in the Southland for a year