PDA

View Full Version : a few questions

DSUHornet
November 27th, 2007, 03:23 PM
if an ivy league team were to get 7 or 8 DI wins, would they be considered for post season? if not, why not?

FCS Preview
November 27th, 2007, 03:23 PM
if an ivy league team were to get 7 or 8 DI wins, would they be considered for post season? if not, why not?

No, because the Ivy League does not participate in the playoff system.

(And the Ivies play an exclusive D-I schedule. So any Ivy with 7+ wins has them all as D-I)

appfan2008
November 27th, 2007, 03:30 PM
They never have never will participate and yes if they did yale and harvard both would have probably made it this year

FCS Preview
November 27th, 2007, 03:32 PM
They never have never will participate and yes if they did yale and harvard both would have probably made it this year

...and boy would that have pissed off the Dayton/San Diego/Albany crowd. xlolx

DSUHornet
November 27th, 2007, 03:32 PM
why dont they participate?

appfan2008
November 27th, 2007, 03:37 PM
...and boy would that have pissed off the Dayton/San Diego/Albany crowd. xlolx

that crowd gets pissed off with anything!xnodx

aust42
November 27th, 2007, 03:43 PM

They choose not to. I think the main excuse from the Ivy League AD's is that it interfere's with the players academic studies. Their in their own league. The Ivies only play 10 reg season games, and their typical OOC games are from the Patriot League. I think only PENN (Nova), Dartmouth (New Hampshire) and Brown (Rhode Island) have recently played teams from other conferences.

Seawolf97
November 27th, 2007, 03:43 PM

I believe a poster from Yale explained the FCS Playoff schedule comes at the same time the Ivy League has exams. The Ivies do send their conference champion to all other NCAA Post season tournaments.

DSUHornet
November 27th, 2007, 03:45 PM
They choose not to. I think the main excuse from the Ivy League AD's is that it interfere's with the players academic studies. Their in their own league. The Ivies only play 10 reg season games, and their typical OOC games are from the Patriot League. I think only PENN (Nova), Dartmouth (New Hampshire) and Brown (Rhode Island) have recently played teams from other conferences.

i think princeton played hampton this year. they're ivy right?
but your right, i dont think i recall any other ivy ooc games.

FCS Preview
I believe a poster from Yale explained the FCS Playoff schedule comes at the same time the Ivy League has exams. The Ivies do send their conference champion to all other NCAA Post season tournaments.
There are no exams Thanksgiving Week.
Or the week after.
Maybe the week leading up to the Final Four, but that would rarely affect an Ivy team if they participated in the playoffs.
Most colleges have finals the week of the Nat Champ. game

WVAPPmountaineer

My understanding is the university presidents or BOT, whatever won't allow it even though they allow post-season participation in every other sport - The underlying reasons I have heard from outsiders is that they (the Ivy) don't want to see their teams get killed by the APPs,UMass (and all/any other strong FCS programs) thus taking the AURA off the historic IVY League football season and it's "treasured tradition" ---

DSUHornet
November 27th, 2007, 03:49 PM
My understanding is the university presidents or BOT, whatever won't allow it even though they allow post-season participation in every other sport - The underlying reasons I have heard from outsiders is that they (the Ivy) don't want to see their teams get killed by the APPs,UMass (and all/any other strong FCS programs) thus taking the AURA off the historic IVY League football season and it's "treasured tradition" ---

this would seem true at first glance but what "aura" do they have. the are barely competitive in their ooc game during the season.

FCS Preview
November 27th, 2007, 03:52 PM
this would seem true at first glance but what "aura" do they have. the are barely competitive in their ooc game during the season.
The first place Ivy team is always ranked in the Top 25. If they played in the playoffs, or faced CAA, SoCon teams on a regular basis, they could be exposed as poor teams.

You know, the whole East Coast Bias that ranks the non-scholly Ivy League miles ahead of leagues like the Pioneer...

aust42
November 27th, 2007, 04:07 PM
The first place Ivy team is always ranked in the Top 25. If they played in the playoffs, or faced CAA, SoCon teams on a regular basis, they could be exposed as poor teams.

You know, the whole East Coast Bias that ranks the non-scholly Ivy League miles ahead of leagues like the Pioneer...

PENN is 0-9 vs the CAA (Nova, Richmond, W&M) since 1992 if that is any indication of a typical IVY School vs some good FCS squads. But most were competetive games according to the scores.

I don't know about "East Coast Bias" but I always wondered why ABC includes the IVY scores on their bottom screen score ticker and no other FCS schools.

proasu89
November 27th, 2007, 04:15 PM
PENN is 0-9 vs the CAA (Nova, Richmond, W&M) since 1992 if that is any indication of a typical IVY School vs some good FCS squads. But most were competetive games according to the scores.

I don't know about "East Coast Bias" but I always wondered why ABC includes the IVY scores on their bottom screen score ticker and no other FCS schools.

I never noticed that ABC didn't show other FCS scores, although their sister ESPN does. I'm going to show my age and reference the old "Prudential College Scoreboard" on ABC. They always seemed to mention the Ivy scores and show highlights. The answer probably lies in the large TV market that the Ivies are located in.

unicat87
November 27th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Prudential College scoreboard was fun, thanks for helping me remember that. I wish the Ivy League did play in the FCS post season. -unicat87

danefan
November 27th, 2007, 04:25 PM
The Ivy's get their scores on ABC and CBS because most of the guys running the programming and networks are Ivy League grads. its homerism. Plus, there is still the mentality that Ivy League football is something in and of itself. A higher being almost.

And I would not have been PO'ed if Yale or Harvard (or both) got in this year. They play an all DI schedule and both had good years. I was just PO'ed that Yale was ranked so high during the season. They were exposed by Harvard and that's that.

OL FU
November 27th, 2007, 04:26 PM

Well I will step into the mess. I believe it is less consideration about getting beat by teams than the irritation of having to admit they would not compete at the highest level ( FBS ) like they do in other sports. (Perception is important even if no one outside of the Ivy's actually sees that perception). If you don't compete for the I-A championship, you don't have to admit to yourself that you are not at the highest level.

Strange I know but I personally think that is closer to the truth than worrying about getting beat by ASU or GSU or FUxsmiley_wix No offense to the Crusaders but wouldn't you feel better about getting beat by a SoCon team or a CAA team than by Holy Crossxeyebrowx