PDA

View Full Version : UNI vs DE team breakdown question

UNI Pike
November 27th, 2007, 12:11 AM
There may have been another question on another thread similar to this, but I have not seen it. Here goes:

I would appreciate any informed discussion about how the various match ups will play out between the two teams. For example, what are the match up between DE's receiving core versus UNI secondary, DE's D-line versus UNI's O-line, UNI punt team vs DE's return team, etc. Please provide your rationale.

I am looking to learn about what each team has done so far this year (not 1972, 2003, or 2005 for that matter). Anything approaching watching film with a coach would be great. Unfortunately, I have been stuck with trying to watch UNI games on CSTV, when it works. splats I did try to sit through the DE DSU game, it was interesting for about 20 minutes. I do not believe that this was a characteristic game for DE.

Also, any thoughts on the publicly disclosed injuries, and how they play into the game.

UNI
Eric Sanders - shot to the throat when a NH LB mistook Eric for a 6' PEZ dispenser
Terrell Allen - broken finger(s)? Will he play?

DE
Greg Benson - bionic man that used to be starting left tackle
Kheon Hendricks - possible bad wheel from DSU game

Thanks for the insight.

JayJ79
November 27th, 2007, 12:18 AM
If Sanders had been injured on the play, I really doubt he would have been talking to the press and whatnot. I'm guessing his throat is fine.

Haven't heard anything about Allen. But if he plays, count on some thunderous blocks thrown by him to spring Johnny Gray or Corey Lewis downfield

blukeys
November 27th, 2007, 01:07 AM
Benson is out for the season ACL.
Hendricks is in.

UD has a capable replacement for Benson.

UNI Pike
November 27th, 2007, 01:19 AM
Benson is out for the season ACL.
Hendricks is in.

UD has a capable replacement for Benson.

LT Benson is out, but how much of a fall off is the replacement? I think the article stated that the #2 is a RS frosh, and has started 1 game (maybe played in more). He is #2 for a reason, what's the difference?

Right handed QB + new RS Frosh LT = lots of TUMS for the OC and line coach

Oldhen
November 27th, 2007, 05:13 AM
LT Benson is out, but how much of a fall off is the replacement? I think the article stated that the #2 is a RS frosh, and has started 1 game (maybe played in more). He is #2 for a reason, what's the difference?

Right handed QB + new RS Frosh LT = lots of TUMS for the OC and line coach

Kevin's played lots of snaps because Benson has been nicked up for a while. Doesn't matter much whether he's subbed in unexpectely or worked with the first team before a start. Benson's a bulkier senior with somewhat better overall technique, and but Uhll has played very well whenever he's been on the field. He was first team All-State in PA, and played in their Big 33 game. Didn't get FBS looks because he's a rangy kid (6'4" 240 in HS) and was (is) a project to bulk up. He's pushing 260 now and has excellent quickness and speed. I'd tend to be more concerned about him when he's significantly outweighed by DE's. He seems to handle outside speed rushers pretty well.

GannonFan
November 27th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Uhll will be fine replacing Benson - Uhll played most of the JMU game after Benson went down in that one and JMU brings a lot more pressure than UNI does and Uhll played very well. Flacco also has very good pocket presence so he'll adapt just fine to Uhll covering the blindside.

IMO, UNI's offensive line is going to steamroll UD's defensive line. While we are much, much better than a year ago at that position (injuries galore) we've gone up against good offensive lines (Navy, JMU, Richmond) and just not looked very good. The UD linebackers are also nothing to write home about either. UD's best playmakers on defense are the two defensive ends, Marcorelle and Talley (assuming Talley plays a lot this week - he had a high ankle sprain in the Navy game and missed JMU and Richmond, played a handful of downs against nova and a little more against DSU), and then the defensive backfield, especially Walters, Graves, and Bratton. Delaware may give up a lot of points, but if those guys can make enough hits to get a stop or two or a turnover or two, that could be enough.

UD's offensive line probably won't make tons of running room, but they will pass protect very well, especially if UNI doesn't blitz a ton. And even when teams have blitzed a lot, they've seldom gotten in or affected Flacco. I think that's the big key on UD's offense - if Flacco has time, he'll pick apart any defense. Forget Santos, he's a great QB, but he has nowhere near the arm strength of Flacco. If Flacco is left alone in the pocket it will be a long day for UNI on defense. UD's WR's are not speed burners, but all 3 of them are quality possession receivers with good hands. Cuff is great coming out of the backfield (something like 40-some catches this year) so even if he's not running he'll be a factor. And IMO, the trump card in all of this is UD's tight ends - you seldom see quality pass-catching tight ends at this level and UD has two of them in Agnone and Baker. How UNI's linebackers deal with UD's tight ends will be a big factor in this game.

Special teams-wise, I think it's a push - neither team is spectacular and I don't expect much from either team in this one - frankly, there won't be a lot of punts from either team.

SunCoastBlueHen
November 27th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Uhll will be fine replacing Benson - Uhll played most of the JMU game after Benson went down in that one and JMU brings a lot more pressure than UNI does and Uhll played very well. Flacco also has very good pocket presence so he'll adapt just fine to Uhll covering the blindside.

IMO, UNI's offensive line is going to steamroll UD's defensive line. While we are much, much better than a year ago at that position (injuries galore) we've gone up against good offensive lines (Navy, JMU, Richmond) and just not looked very good. The UD linebackers are also nothing to write home about either. UD's best playmakers on defense are the two defensive ends, Marcorelle and Talley (assuming Talley plays a lot this week - he had a high ankle sprain in the Navy game and missed JMU and Richmond, played a handful of downs against nova and a little more against DSU), and then the defensive backfield, especially Walters, Graves, and Bratton. Delaware may give up a lot of points, but if those guys can make enough hits to get a stop or two or a turnover or two, that could be enough.

UD's offensive line probably won't make tons of running room, but they will pass protect very well, especially if UNI doesn't blitz a ton. And even when teams have blitzed a lot, they've seldom gotten in or affected Flacco. I think that's the big key on UD's offense - if Flacco has time, he'll pick apart any defense. Forget Santos, he's a great QB, but he has nowhere near the arm strength of Flacco. If Flacco is left alone in the pocket it will be a long day for UNI on defense. UD's WR's are not speed burners, but all 3 of them are quality possession receivers with good hands. Cuff is great coming out of the backfield (something like 40-some catches this year) so even if he's not running he'll be a factor. And IMO, the trump card in all of this is UD's tight ends - you seldom see quality pass-catching tight ends at this level and UD has two of them in Agnone and Baker. How UNI's linebackers deal with UD's tight ends will be a big factor in this game.

Special teams-wise, I think it's a push - neither team is spectacular and I don't expect much from either team in this one - frankly, there won't be a lot of punts from either team.

Spot on analysis, IMHO. xthumbsupx

UDBlueLotFan
November 27th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Spot on analysis, IMHO. xthumbsupx

In other words a track meet. Should be an exciting gamexthumbsupx

Chi Panther
November 27th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Kevin's played lots of snaps because Benson has been nicked up for a while. Doesn't matter much whether he's subbed in unexpectely or worked with the first team before a start. Benson's a bulkier senior with somewhat better overall technique, and but Uhll has played very well whenever he's been on the field. He was first team All-State in PA, and played in their Big 33 game. Didn't get FBS looks because he's a rangy kid (6'4" 240 in HS) and was (is) a project to bulk up. He's pushing 260 now and has excellent quickness and speed. I'd tend to be more concerned about him when he's significantly outweighed by DE's. He seems to handle outside speed rushers pretty well.
James Ruffin
http://unipanthers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/ruffin_james00.html
Jordan Lacy
http://unipanthers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/lacy_jordan00.html

93BlueHen
November 27th, 2007, 11:06 AM
In other words a track meet. Should be an exciting gamexthumbsupx

If I was a linemaker, I'd be putting the O/U at around 65 to 70 on this one. Seriously.

appstate38
November 27th, 2007, 11:08 AM
I said on a previous thread that this is the most compeling matchup for me this weekend. Two evenly matched teams that are good on both sides of the ball. Would like to see it.

UNI Pike
November 27th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Kevin's played lots of snaps because Benson has been nicked up for a while. Doesn't matter much whether he's subbed in unexpectedly or worked with the first team before a start. Benson's a bulkier senior with somewhat better overall technique, and but Uhll has played very well whenever he's been on the field. He was first team All-State in PA, and played in their Big 33 game. Didn't get FBS looks because he's a rangy kid (6'4" 240 in HS) and was (is) a project to bulk up. He's pushing 260 now and has excellent quickness and speed. I'd tend to be more concerned about him when he's significantly outweighed by DE's. He seems to handle outside speed rushers pretty well.

Very good insights so far. Thanks.

From what I have seen this season, most of our D-Line work is done by committee. We have 7-8 people rotate throughout the game. To my eye, the reserves on the D-Line are actually bigger than the starters - about 295 vs 265 in round numbers. I use the term reserves with no other good word to use, as these players are in the game anywhere from 35% - 50% of the time to my knowledge.

I think that will be the key match up in the game. But that's my opinion, that and $2 will get you a Coke.

93BlueHen
November 27th, 2007, 11:47 AM
If it turns out anything like the UD-Navy game (59-52 regulation), I'd advise your cheerleaders (or anyone that might do any kind of repetitive ritual like pushups, shouting, etc. after touchdowns) to save their energy.

Watching those poor Midshipmen doing pushups after every score, I swear I could read their lips in the third and fourth quarters and I don't think they were asking for "fudge".

I predict this game will be 45-42ish in nature in regulation.

Rob Iola
November 27th, 2007, 12:09 PM
If it turns out anything like the UD-Navy game (59-52 regulation), I'd advise your cheerleaders (or anyone that might do any kind of repetitive ritual like pushups, shouting, etc. after touchdowns) to save their energy.

Watching those poor Midshipmen doing pushups after every score, I swear I could read their lips in the third and fourth quarters and I don't think they were asking for "fudge".

I predict this game will be 45-42ish in nature in regulation.

Absolutely hysterical when PJ kicked the FG w/under a minute left to get w/in an on-side kick and a TD - forcing the up-down company to schlep onto the field for 52 - count 'em - 52 pushups, all while the final seconds were clicking off the clock.

Rob Iola
November 27th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Kheon Hendricks - possible bad wheel from DSU game

Thanks for the insight.

This could be the key right here - if Hendricks plays the whole game at 90% UD's offense will purr along just fine. If he gets knocked out then that's where our line protection falls apart...

FerociousCat
November 27th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Allen played on special teams last week. As for Sanders, he did get hit, but it seemed like he was trying to induce a penalty ala Cory Henke vs Texas State.

LacesOut
November 27th, 2007, 02:57 PM
UNI, imo, you're going to need some turnovers to beat UD (stating the obvious, ain't I? LOL).

If you get a couple, I see a score like.......UNI 44 - UD 34.

If Navy doesn't have two fumbles, they beat UD. If JMU doesn't have four fumbles, they beat UD. If if if, I know, I know. If my Aunt had a set of nutz she'd be my Uncle.

So get some TO's Purple Kitties!!!!!!!!

Rob Iola
November 27th, 2007, 03:08 PM
UNI, imo, you're going to need some turnovers to beat UD (stating the obvious, ain't I? LOL).

If you get a couple, I see a score like.......UNI 44 - UD 34.

If Navy doesn't have two fumbles, they beat UD. If JMU doesn't have four fumbles, they beat UD. If if if, I know, I know. If my Aunt had a set of nutz she'd be my Uncle.

So get some TO's Purple Kitties!!!!!!!!

JMU and Navy are both better than UNI...

Purple For Life
November 27th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Allen played on special teams last week. As for Sanders, he did get hit, but it seemed like he was trying to induce a penalty ala Cory Henke vs Texas State.

Well isn't getting hit in the throat kind of a cheap shot? At the very least, it really messes up your swallowing and speaking.

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 27th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Well isn't getting hit in the throat kind of a cheap shot? At the very least, it really messes up your swallowing and speaking.

What the he!! are you talking about?

WildcatFan
November 27th, 2007, 06:21 PM
What the he!! are you talking about?
He is claiming a cheap shot on Sanders. If that was the case, why wasn't it replayed on the jumbo screen?

crunifan
November 27th, 2007, 06:49 PM
He is claiming a cheap shot on Sanders. If that was the case, why wasn't it replayed on the jumbo screen?

No controversial play was allowed to be shown in the jumbo screen. Apparently it is an NCAA rule during the playoffs. Regular, non controversial plays were only allowed to be replayed once.

Kinda weird rule.

As for the shot, all I know was a complete pass was thrown, and when I look back Sanders is on the ground holding his neck. He obviously was hit (I don't think it was a cheap shot) after he passed the ball. But, the ref didn't see it and so life goes on.

WildcatFan
November 27th, 2007, 07:26 PM
No controversial play was allowed to be shown in the jumbo screen. Any controversy over the last thing flashed on the Jumbo Screen? That's ok, he can "Take It"xthumbsupx

unhfan1
November 27th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Nice call against UNH on the pass interference, NOT.
Big miss by UNH field goal kicker on a 33 yarder straight on. It must have been the wind, NOT. 6-11 for the season.....

caribbeanhen
November 27th, 2007, 08:39 PM

GF, Nice post

the only points I disagree with are all three Delaware receivers have good hands
No - Love has great hands
Duncan has good hands
and Michuad has sore hands;) especially after that Laser that took out the hedge in the NEZ on Friday
Michaud has improved dramatically however

and as for a special teams being a push - take a look at that UNI punt return guy Johnny something on youtube - he scares me

State Line Liquors
November 27th, 2007, 09:05 PM
forgot my old handle on here....haven't been back in a while

Michaud is dramatically improved hands wise. He is turning into an excellent possession reciever and 3rd or 4th option for Joey. What I love about our offense is the ability we have to throw the ball to any of 6 players. We are going to get our points in this game 1 way or the other. Particularly if the UNI pass rush is relaxed as others have mentioned on here (haven't seen them myself).

Since UNI sounds like such a balanced team on both sides of the ball, I'd have to think that the UD defense sounds like the weakest side of the ball for either team. Can they force the turnovers in another big game that have gotten them this far?

Purple Reign
November 27th, 2007, 09:45 PM
JMU and Navy are both better than UNI...

Brilliant !!!! Another well argued, reasonable post. Well done Lucy.

Rob Iola
November 27th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Brilliant !!!! Another well argued, reasonable post. Well done Lucy.

Within context - yes it was a reasonable post...

PantherRob82
November 27th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Within context - yes it was a reasonable post...

Looking at Navy's schedule, I disagree. ;)

PantherRob82
November 27th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Nice call against UNH on the pass interference, NOT.
Big miss by UNH field goal kicker on a 33 yarder straight on. It must have been the wind, NOT. 6-11 for the season.....

...xconfusedx

Rob Iola
November 27th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Looking at Navy's schedule, I disagree. ;)
OK - but objectively Navy went 7-4 (soon to be 8-4) against an all-FBS schedule (except for UD); only lost to Rutgers, an 8-4 Wake Forest team, a 7-5 Ball State team, and UD; and is going to a bowl game.

PantherRob82
November 27th, 2007, 10:35 PM
You don't think that basically all the QF playoff teams could do that?