18. North Dakota
19. NC Central
20. Northern Iowa
21. Delaware
22. Mercer
23. Rhode Island
24. Gardner-Webb
25. Florida A&M
Others receiving votes: Yale 64, Eastern Kentucky 59, Fordham 58, Jackson St. 37, Elon 30, St. Thomas (Minn.) 30, Youngstown St. 28, Princeton 26, Southern Illinois 26, UT Martin 23, Central Arkansas 22, Chattanooga 13, North Carolina A&T 13, Illinois St. 12, Northern Arizona 12, Southern 9, Davidson 7, St. Francis (Pa.) 7, Tennessee Tech 6, Howard 5, Pennsylvania 5, Abilene Christian 4, Austin Peay 3, Campbell 2, Villanova 1.

Professor Chaos
August 14th, 2023, 12:27 PM
Didn't the Coaches poll have Jackson St in the top 5 at some point last year? Pretty crazy to see them drop like a rock all the way into the ORV - usually doesn't seem to happen with this poll.

KPSUL
August 14th, 2023, 12:44 PM
Didn't the Coaches poll have Jackson St in the top 5 at some point last year? Pretty crazy to see them drop like a rock all the way into the ORV - usually doesn't seem to happen with this poll.

The stats from "Keepers" explains this: 1.5 returning offensive starters, 2.2 defensive; 0 returning rushing and 0 passing yards returning, strength of returning team #128 0f 128 FCS teams.

FUBeAR
August 14th, 2023, 01:27 PM
...This projects, Playoffs-wise, to...

South Dakota State - #1 Seed - MVFC (1) - AQ1
North Dakota State - #2 Seed - MVFC (2) - At-Large1
Montana State - #3 Seed - Big Sky (1) - AQ2
William & Mary - #4 Seed - CAA (1) - AQ3
Holy Cross - #5 Seed - Patriot League (1) - AQ4
Furman - #6 Seed - SoCon (1) - AQ5
UIW - #7 Seed - Southland (1) - AQ6
Sacramento State - #8 Seed - Big Sky (2) - At-Large2

Samford - SoCon (2) - At-Large3
Weber State - Big Sky (3) - At-Large4
Southeast Missouri - Big South/OVC (1) - AQ7
New Hampshire - CAA (2) - At-Large5
Idaho - Big Sky (4) - At-Large6
Montana - Big Sky (5) - At-Large7
Southeastern Louisiana - Southland (2) - At-Large8
Richmond - CAA (3) - At-Large9
UC Davis - Big Sky (6) - At-Large10
North Dakota - MVFC (3) - At-Large11
Northern Iowa - MVFC (4) - At-Large12
Delaware - CAA (4) - At-Large13
Mercer - SoCon (3) - At-Large14
Eastern Kentucky - UAC (1) - AQ8
Davidson - PFL (1) - AQ9
St. Francis (Pa.) - NEC (1) - AQ10

Last 2 in - Delaware & Mercer
First 2 out - Rhode Island & Gardner-Webb

crusader11
August 14th, 2023, 01:33 PM
Western Carolina not even getting a single vote?

Sheesh.

nodak651
August 14th, 2023, 02:37 PM
The stats from "Keepers" explains this: 1.5 returning offensive starters, 2.2 defensive; 0 returning rushing and 0 passing yards returning, strength of returning team #128 0f 128 FCS teams.

Doesn't seem to hurt Incarnate Word.

KPSUL
August 14th, 2023, 05:43 PM
Doesn't seem to hurt Incarnate Word.

Incarnate Word: No doubt their performance last season warrants consideration for a top 8 preseason ranking. But I'm not sure it considers the fact that they lost a lot of offensive power to graduation and the portal. And UIW was a run and gun all out offensive bombshell. That sort of playing can work exceedingly well when you have all the weapons in place and the they are experienced - like UIW last season. Gone is their outstanding quarterback (Lindsey Scott), leading rusher (Marcus Cooper 1400 yards - QB Scott was 2nd) and their top 2 2022 receivers (Chafin and Grimes, combines 2470 yard). The head coach also left for Texas State.

On the plus side, they work the portal for the best available talent as well as anyone. The signed a QB (Calzada) who started 10 games for Texas A&M in 2021, transferred to Auburn for 2022, but didn't play a game before injuring a shoulder that required surgery. Obviously there are medical question marks for him, but there is no doubting the pedigree. They also picked-up a RB from SMU with about 2000 career rushing yards at SMU and Northern Texas. How he is still eligible is a bit of a mystery -looks like he had a redshirt year 2017 (UNT), two years of significant playing time 2018-19. The pandemic gimee everyone got (2020) and then two year at SMU (2021-22). He's only listed as playing 4 game last season, so he must have missed the rest due to injury or illness if he is still eligible.

So all things considered, I would rank UIW, but not anywhere near as high as 7th. Maybe 18th ish ?

WestCoastAggie
August 14th, 2023, 06:07 PM
Who voted for A&T?xdrunkyx

kab
August 14th, 2023, 07:07 PM
First top 10 team to lose?
South Dakota state or Montana state ?

nodak651
August 14th, 2023, 08:58 PM
Incarnate Word: No doubt their performance last season warrants consideration for a top 8 preseason ranking. But I'm not sure it considers the fact that they lost a lot of offensive power to graduation and the portal. And UIW was a run and gun all out offensive bombshell. That sort of playing can work exceedingly well when you have all the weapons in place and the they are experienced - like UIW last season. Gone is their outstanding quarterback (Lindsey Scott), leading rusher (Marcus Cooper 1400 yards - QB Scott was 2nd) and their top 2 2022 receivers (Chafin and Grimes, combines 2470 yard). The head coach also left for Texas State.

On the plus side, they work the portal for the best available talent as well as anyone. The signed a QB (Calzada) who started 10 games for Texas A&M in 2021, transferred to Auburn for 2022, but didn't play a game before injuring a shoulder that required surgery. Obviously there are medical question marks for him, but there is no doubting the pedigree. They also picked-up a RB from SMU with about 2000 career rushing yards at SMU and Northern Texas. How he is still eligible is a bit of a mystery -looks like he had a redshirt year 2017 (UNT), two years of significant playing time 2018-19. The pandemic gimee everyone got (2020) and then two year at SMU (2021-22). He's only listed as playing 4 game last season, so he must have missed the rest due to injury or illness if he is still eligible.

So all things considered, I would rank UIW, but not anywhere near as high as 7th. Maybe 18th ish ?
1000% right.

On top of that, it's not like they have a long history of reloading like NDSU or anything. They have had TWO good years and now all of a sudden they get treated like a blueblood? It's not even the same coach bringing the transfers in.

Someone ranking them where they are wouldnt even bother me that much, but the group think with nearly every poll is just stupid. It's not last year's team. I don't understand why they somehow get the benefit of the doubt.

Big Sky with 6 in front of MVFC 3rd is pretty crazy. UNI and UND should be next to each other near the top ten with a 5th like YSU or another to round out the top 25.

FUBeAR
August 14th, 2023, 09:27 PM
1000% right.

On top of that, it's not like they have a long history of reloading like NDSU or anything. They have had TWO good years and now all of a sudden they get treated like a blueblood? It's not even the same coach bringing the transfers in.

Someone ranking them where they are wouldnt even bother me that much, but the group think with nearly every poll is just stupid. It's not last year's team. I don't understand why they somehow get the benefit of the doubt.

Big Sky with 6 in front of MVFC 3rd is pretty crazy. UNI and UND should be next to each other near the top ten with a 5th like YSU or another to round out the top 25.
FUBeAR gets the logic you and KPSUL are applying to UIW and does not disagree. It’s a bit of a shot in the dark to rank Teams with massive ‘roster churn.’

That said #1 - If a voter has done their homework and looked at who a Team (Team X, let’s call ‘em) lost and who they brought in and, other changes (Coaches, etc.) AND believes that, today, on a neutral field, Team X can beat the Team that they have ranked X+1, but would lose to the Team they have ranked X-1, then they should rank Team X right there. You doubt voters have done that kind of homework/research and/or you doubt they are using that kind of systematic logic to do their rankings. FUBeAR certainly shares your doubts, but could see a voter, who is diligent, logical, and objective having a Team like UIW (and also Samford) highly ranked.

That said #2 - Montana State is kind of the opposite of UIW. They return almost all of their Offense and a substantial chunk of their D to a Team that was 12-1 in the FCS, only losing to the National Champion that was 14-0 in the FCS. Are you saying they are overrated because they have a tough road schedule and could lose a few of those games? FUBeAR, as you may know, is not one to easily praise the Teams from the Big Sky, but he has the Bobcats @ #2 because he believes, today, on a neutral field, they would lose to FUBeAR’s #1 Team, but would defeat FUBeAR’s #3. Interested in your logic on why the KittyCats are too high.

[Looks like you edited or FUBeAR hallucinated (again). Did your initial post include ‘Montana State is overrated?’]

nodak651
August 14th, 2023, 10:19 PM
FUBeAR gets the logic you and KPSUL are applying to UIW and does not disagree. It’s a bit of a shot in the dark to rank Teams with massive ‘roster churn.’

That said #1 - If a voter has done their homework and looked at who a Team (Team X, let’s call ‘em) lost and who they brought in and, other changes (Coaches, etc.) AND believes that, today, on a neutral field, Team X can beat the Team that they have ranked X+1, but would lose to the Team they have ranked X-1, then they should rank Team X right there. You doubt voters have done that kind of homework/research and/or you doubt they are using that kind of systematic logic to do their rankings. FUBeAR certainly shares your doubts, but could see a voter, who is diligent, logical, and objective having a Team like UIW (and also Samford) highly ranked.

That said #2 - Montana State is kind of the opposite of UIW. They return almost all of their Offense and a substantial chunk of their D to a Team that was 12-1 in the FCS, only losing to the National Champion that was 14-0 in the FCS. Are you saying they are overrated because they have a tough road schedule and could lose a few of those games? FUBeAR, as you may know, is not one to easily praise the Teams from the Big Sky, but he has the Bobcats @ #2 because he believes, today, on a neutral field, they would lose to FUBeAR’s #1 Team, but would defeat FUBeAR’s #3. Interested in your logic on why the KittyCats are too high.

[Looks like you edited or FUBeAR hallucinated (again). Did your initial post include ‘Montana State is overrated?’]

Yes, I changed it because I knew it would have been interpreted in a way that I didn't intend, because I actually would probably rank them at number 2, or there about, as well. My comment was more geared towards the people who think they are a tier above the rest of the pack in the top 2-15. They aren't that special. Sure they are a great team, but they also got steamrolled by SDSU, they lucked into 4 unforced safeties the first time they squeaked by Weber, and it took a miracle play to beat NAU. NAU is a tough place to play and a win is a win, but the overall super hype they are getting is unjustified, imo.

FUBeAR
August 14th, 2023, 11:11 PM
Yes, I changed it because I knew it would have been interpreted in a way that I didn't intend, because I actually would probably rank them at number 2, or there about, as well. My comment was more geared towards the people who think they are a tier above the rest of the pack in the top 2-15. They aren't that special. Sure they are a great team, but they also got steamrolled by SDSU, they lucked into 4 unforced safeties the first time they squeaked by Weber, and it took a miracle play to beat NAU. NAU is a tough place to play and a win is a win, but the overall super hype they are getting is unjustified, imo.Fair enough.

All good tangible, objective reasons for having some questions about the BozeManBoyz.

So…yeah, makes sense to have them at #2 now, but not to be afraid to drop ‘em somewhat precipitously if they get ‘exposed’ and aren’t really competitive in Brookings and then get upset at Weber. They would be 2-2, but FUBeAR will give them almost 0 credit for (expected) home wins over Utah Tech and Stetson.

Then they have 2 more at home vs. (4-7 ‘22) Portland State and (2-9 ‘22) Cal Poly. So, at 4-2 and no real win credit from beating 4 pretty bad Teams, not sure they would remain in FUBeAR’s Top 25 if other Teams are showing FUBeAR more and winning tough games against good Teams.

Then, they go to SacState and if they lose that one, at 4-3, almost certain they would be unranked in the FUBeAR Ranking. The Bobcats better be really competitive against SDSU and win in Ogden or their ‘23 season could be off the rails a couple of weeks before Halloween.

POD Knows
August 15th, 2023, 08:01 AM
First top 10 team to lose?
South Dakota state or Montana state ?
Well. It will be one of the other considering they play each other early on. MSU will lose this game badly.

Redbird 4th & short
August 15th, 2023, 02:25 PM
Yes, I changed it because I knew it would have been interpreted in a way that I didn't intend, because I actually would probably rank them at number 2, or there about, as well. My comment was more geared towards the people who think they are a tier above the rest of the pack in the top 2-15. They aren't that special. Sure they are a great team, but they also got steamrolled by SDSU, they lucked into 4 unforced safeties the first time they squeaked by Weber, and it took a miracle play to beat NAU. NAU is a tough place to play and a win is a win, but the overall super hype they are getting is unjustified, imo.

that punter must still have nightmares ...

FUBeAR
August 15th, 2023, 02:48 PM
that punter must still have nightmares ...The Punter? Unless, he was on the take, the Long Snapper has probably been institutionalized. FUBeAR still has nightmares about the 1 bad Punt Snap he had in HS...in 1977!!!

caribbeanhen
August 16th, 2023, 05:36 AM

like me?

651, where is your poll?

Redbird 4th & short
August 16th, 2023, 10:37 AM
The Punter? Unless, he was on the take, the Long Snapper has probably been institutionalized. FUBeAR still has nightmares about the 1 bad Punt Snap he had in HS...in 1977!!!
oops, good point .. I guess I viewed that as a given. But picturing what the punter must have been thinking at the time, after each time ... watching that ball sail 4 times would certainly cause some level of PTSD, where you just can't forget it. The center doesn't see it happen ... he has no visual. But yeah, he would undestandab;y be a mess.

Did same snapper do all 4 ... if so, why on earth was he still in after 3 .. or even after 2 ?

FUBeAR
August 16th, 2023, 10:53 AM
oops, good point .. I guess I viewed that as a given. But picturing what the punter must have been thinking at the time, after each time ... watching that ball sail 4 times would certainly cause some level of PTSD, where you just can't forget it. The center doesn't see it happen ... he has no visual. But yeah, he would undestandab;y be a mess.

Did same snapper do all 4 ... if so, why on earth was he still in after 3 .. or even after 2 ?

Same guy - all 4 - Still a Wildcat - https://weberstatesports.com/sports/football/roster/grant-sands/6454 - and the only Long Snapper on their roster.

https://twitter.com/weberstatefb/status/1641874219641507840

Redbird 4th & short
August 17th, 2023, 11:02 AM
Same guy - all 4 - Still a Wildcat - https://weberstatesports.com/sports/football/roster/grant-sands/6454 - and the only Long Snapper on their roster.

https://twitter.com/weberstatefb/status/1641874219641507840
wow, but mad props that he is able to talk about it and face your worst fears. Ive got a root for this guy now ... good for him that he is dealing with it.