PDA

View Full Version : FCS 2023: The Bottom 10 Programs

DFW HOYA
August 13th, 2023, 06:52 PM
Much is made about the top 10 FCS programs, particularly as it relates to regular season and playoff success. Here are the ten lowest ranked teams by winning percentage over the past 10 seasons (2012-2022, COVID season included). Note: Rhode Island was on this list by overall percentage but was taken off this list following back to back seven win seasons in 2021 and 2022.

Teams with fewer than ten FCS seasons were not included.

122. Cornell (30-70, .300)
When Columbia was once considered the bottom of the Ivy League, Cornell has quietly assumed this position, with its last winning season in 2005. The Big Red finished 5-5 in 2022, its best season since 2011, but coach David Archer enters the 2023 season with just 26 wins since 2013.

123. Georgetown (32-77, .294)
Can a non-scholarship team compete in a full scholarship conference? In Georgetown's case, it's been difficult, with one winning season since joining the Patriot League in 2001. The talent gap continues to be a problem for ninth year coach Rob Sgarlata, with an eight year record of 25-62.

124. Valparaiso (34-84, .288)
Even competing in the non-scholarship Pioneer League has been a challenge for Valpo, with no winning seasons since 2003. Fifth year coach Landon Fox (14-27) is coming off a 5-7 season in 2022, its best in five years.

125. Delaware State (33-84, .282)
A former MEAC power that struggled in the 2010s, the Hornets have rebounded with 5-6 records over its past two seasons.

126. Idaho State (33-86, .277)
The Bengals had a winning record as recent as 2018 but are coming off back to back 1-10 seasons. Its 2022 coach Charlie Ragle, quit after one season for an assistant's job at Arizona State.

127. Robert Morris (31-82, .274)
The university's departure from the Northeast Conference sent its football team packing to the Big South and, of late, the Big South-OVC alliance, with the Colonials traveling to places in 2023 such as Gardner-Webb, Southeast Missouri, and Eastern Illinois. Since leaving the NEC, head coach Bernard Clark is 4-20.

128. Presbyterian (30-87, .256)
After a decade toiling at the bottom of the Big South, the nation's smallest FCS program (undergraduate enrollment: 1,199) downgraded to the non-scholarship Pioneer League in 2021, but has lost 16 consecutive conference games since. Its only wins over the past two seasons have come versus non-NCAA teams, with one of the biggest week to week scoring turnarounds ever: a 68-3 win in 2021 over NCCAA school Ft. Lauderdale, then a 72-0 loss to Campbell. The Blue Hose open 2023 at Murray State.

129. Texas Southern (28-83, .252)
A 5-6 season in 2022 was a sign of hope for the Tigers, who despite improvements to its facilities in recent years, have struggled in SWAC play. Theb Tigers are picked third in teh 2023 pre-season poll, and are seeking its first winning season since 2010.

130. VMI (30-91, .248)
The spring 2021 season was VMI's first ever NCAA FCS playoff bid and its first conference title since 1977. More often than not, however, the Keydets are outmanned in the Southern Conference, and finished 1-10 last season. Danny Rocco, former head coach at Liberty, Richmond and Delaware, takes over in 2023.

131. Mississippi Valley State (23-91, .202)
The alma mater of Jerry Rice has not posted a winning record since 2006 and struggles to compete against better funded schools. The school reported just 1,914 full time students in 2022 and spent just $1.4 million on football, the least of any FCS scholarship school and comparable to some Pioneer League schools. First time head coach Kendrick Wade takes over this season with a pair of Division II HBCU's to help build up the record before conference play.

OhioHen
August 13th, 2023, 06:58 PM
Based just on winning percentage the list may be accurate, but more than a couple of those teams would dominate much of the Pioneer League and probably the bottom half of the SWAC.

caribbeanhen
August 13th, 2023, 06:58 PM
Del State rebounded with 5-6 records over past two seasons and fired their coach

ST_Lawson
August 13th, 2023, 07:22 PM
We must have just missed the cutoff. For us in the last 10 years...39-72 (.351) with most of the heavy lifting done back in 2015 and 2017.

mvemjsunpx
August 14th, 2023, 12:17 AM
124. Valparaiso (34-84, .288)
Even competing in the non-scholarship Pioneer League has been a challenge for Valpo, with no winning seasons since 2003. Fifth year coach Landon Fox (14-27) is coming off a 5-7 season in 2022, its best in five years.

Valpo did (barely) have a winning record in 2017.

UNHWildcat18
August 14th, 2023, 06:48 AM
Del State rebounded with 5-6 records over past two seasons and fired their coach

I always thought Del State would be a MEAC school that elevates it's athletic programs/ facilities over the last 10 years.....I was wrong. Programs and Facilities are pretty hideous.

OhioHen
August 14th, 2023, 06:53 AM
Expected more from the Hornets last year with the infusion of D3 semifinalist talent when Wesley closed and was absorbed into DSU.

caribbeanhen
August 14th, 2023, 07:07 AM
Expected more from the Hornets last year with the infusion of D3 semifinalist talent when Wesley closed and was absorbed into DSU.

Do you know if they actually picked up any players from D3 Wesley?

MR. CHICKEN
August 14th, 2023, 07:41 AM

....STATE IS PICKED LAST....IN MEACC....FO' 2023......AWK!

....WENT THRU ROSTER......NO MENTION UH WESLEY COLLEGE X-FERS..........BAWK!

bonarae
August 14th, 2023, 07:46 AM

D-III players don't really use the portal... only D-I and D-II players are required to do so.

It's very difficult to sign up at D3boards -- any idea where those Wesley players went? xdontknowx

caribbeanhen
August 14th, 2023, 07:58 AM

....WENT THRU ROSTER......NO MENTION UH WESLEY COLLEGE X-FERS..........BAWK!

Thats what I thought, I checked the roster last year and didn’t see any either…. But technically Wesley was already Del State anyway so who knows

MR. CHICKEN
August 14th, 2023, 08:07 AM
.....CAIN'T REMEMBER ANY UH...WESLEY'S STARS.......MAYBE TRES.....WILL PREVIEW....HORNETS.....AN' MENTION....IFIN' THERE ARE SOME X-FERS........AWQ!

.....WESLEY DISOLVED IN 2021......BRAWK!

bonarae
August 14th, 2023, 08:55 AM
.....CAIN'T REMEMBER ANY UH...WESLEY'S STARS.......MAYBE TRES.....WILL PREVIEW....HORNETS.....AN' MENTION....IFIN' THERE ARE SOME X-FERS........AWQ!

.....WESLEY DISOLVED IN 2021......BRAWK!

Did you even try to Google any names from the last roster they had?

caribbeanhen
August 14th, 2023, 09:05 AM

I don’t want to speak for Mr Chicken but I would bet he’ll sit back and let Kevin Tresolini do the leg work on it

Reign of Terrier
August 14th, 2023, 09:46 AM
It's kind of a miracle how VMI was able to win the socon in that COVID year, because more and more it looks like a blip. And the option is pretty much dead because of blocking rules, so it'll be difficult to find a gimick (but high schools weren't running it anyway, so it's not like it was an option anyway). With NIL, the portal, etc, I just don't see how VMI (or the Citadel) can ever maintain sustained success again.

caribbeanhen
August 14th, 2023, 09:50 AM
It's kind of a miracle how VMI was able to win the socon in that COVID year, because more and more it looks like a blip. And the option is pretty much dead because of blocking rules, so it'll be difficult to find a gimick (but high schools weren't running it anyway, so it's not like it was an option anyway). With NIL, the portal, etc, I just don't see how VMI (or the Citadel or even Wofford) can ever maintain sustained success again.

FYP

ElCid
August 14th, 2023, 10:10 AM
FYP

Hilarious. We've been counted among the dead on a number of occasions. I think a team just needs the right combo of coaching, recruits, and play book. Sustained success is not the correct measurement because "most" teams don't ever achieve it even if the occasional ones might. It may be hard to swallow, but Wofford's extended success was due to its "gimmicky" offense and absolutely the right coach who had very good recruits for that scheme. So you are spot on with your correction.

clenz
August 14th, 2023, 10:21 AM
It's kind of a miracle how VMI was able to win the socon in that COVID year, because more and more it looks like a blip. And the option is pretty much dead because of blocking rules, so it'll be difficult to find a gimick (but high schools weren't running it anyway, so it's not like it was an option anyway). With NIL, the portal, etc, I just don't see how VMI (or the Citadel) can ever maintain sustained success again.
Same way that Missouri State and UND shared the Valley title that season.

It was a ****ed up season with team rosters in the most insane state of flux and schedules that made no sense. There's a reason as many fans, FCS and FBS, say that season "doesn't count". Yes, officially it counts for stats and putting champion on your media guide, but so many just see how ****ed everything was and ignore it.

nodak651
August 14th, 2023, 10:48 AM
Same way that Missouri State and UND shared the Valley title that season.

Could interpret that a couple different ways.

MR. CHICKEN
August 14th, 2023, 11:59 AM

...IFIN' YOUSE WANNA KNOW....BAD ENOUGH......GOOGLE AWAY......BRAWK!

...LUCKY...AH WAS MOTIVATED....TA CHECK OUT STATE's......ROSTER....TA BEGIN WHIFF.......DOODLE-DOO!

Go...gate
August 14th, 2023, 01:52 PM
[QUOTE=MR. CHICKEN;3135094]32917

....WENT THRU ROSTER......NO MENTION UH WESLEY COLLEGE X-FERS..........BAWK![/QUOT

DSU opens at West Point in a few weeks.

OhioHen
August 15th, 2023, 05:59 AM
DSU opens at West Point in a few weeks.What's the over/under on points scored by the plebe cheerleaders?

NY Crusader 2010
August 15th, 2023, 06:46 AM
What's the over/under on points scored by the plebe cheerleaders?

If DSU pulls the massive upset, the Holy Cross game on 11/11 could have bowl implications! Unless there aren't enough qualifying 6-6 teams to fill bowl games, you can't count 2 FCS wins towards bowl eligibility. Last year Army finished 6-6 and stayed home. Beating Navy in OT was probably a solid replacement for a bowl game, though!

OhioHen
August 15th, 2023, 07:03 AM

If DSU pulls the massive upset, the Holy Cross game on 11/11 could have bowl implications! Unless there aren't enough qualifying 6-6 teams to fill bowl games, you can't count 2 FCS wins towards bowl eligibility. Last year Army finished 6-6 and stayed home. Beating Navy in OT was probably a solid replacement for a bowl game, though!
For Army and Navy, a 1-11 season with the one win being a win over the other >>> 12-1 with a bowl win and the loss being to the other.

Reign of Terrier
August 15th, 2023, 07:28 AM
FYP

Hilarious. We've been counted among the dead on a number of occasions. I think a team just needs the right combo of coaching, recruits, and play book. Sustained success is not the correct measurement because "most" teams don't ever achieve it even if the occasional ones might. It may be hard to swallow, but Wofford's extended success was due to its "gimmicky" offense and absolutely the right coach who had very good recruits for that scheme. So you are spot on with your correction.

It's kinda wild how everyone thinks Wofford sucks now when less than 4 years ago we won our third straight socon title, and when we hadn't run the flexbone proper in 20 years. Heck, even in the covid spring year which was weird AF we were a couple bounces of the ball from getting a playoff spot (We weren't an option team at all, and still managed around 30 points per game - it was a weird year, sure, but it's a good data point that the option wasn't everything). And the latter two championships, we were certainly more of a hybrid team than a true option. And the option wasn't the reason our defense played so well either.

People want to talk about how Ayers and the option were the deciding factor for our success, and point to the post-Ayers dropoff (that they conveniently point to 3 years after he left), and not the fact that we didn't have a DC or with actual experience at the position from 2020-2021, while Ayers for the last 15 years of his career had like 5 coaches with 10+ years of experience at their positions on staff at Wofford. Conklin squandered our gains by being a bad leader and running off subordinates and star players (TJ Luther and VanCleave are two examples) being unable to find proper replacements. At the end, everyone hated him and many people just felt bad for some of the coaches (like our former DC) because he was clearly in over his head. You could see parts of this turn around last year with the hiring of Warwick (was JSU's DC at one point) and Watson.

But Conklin had to go, because at the end of the day, the damage was done and players hated. At the end of the day, Wofford's gonna run the ball better this year and play better defense and look nothing like the team of last year or a couple years ago because we're continuing that momentum and have more competent/experienced coaches in the trenches. I say this with certainty, not as a homer, but as someone who knows basic organizational dynamics: I'd rather have the DC(s) and OL coaches who combine for like 20 years + in experience at their positions than the ones with less than 7 (with most of them being one coach). That's what we were working with last year - and again, we were still a stone's throw away from 5 wins!

But hey, let's assume the only reason that Wofford was good was our coach and our gimmicky offense, the same as VMI and the Citadel. Why is it that Wofford got more championships than the Citadel or VMI got winning seasons?

My definition of sustained success is expecting a winning season every year, and if not having a championship 1/3 of the time, then at least making the playoffs at about that frequency. Every team in the conference except western carolina, VMI and Citadel has that expectation. You can be butt hurt about that, but the reality is that Wofford had a rough couple under some bad leadership, and we still almost won 5 games that last year, which would have made it closer to one of the best seasons of the past 20 years for the Citadel and VMI.

Everyone who says it was "just the option" that gave Wofford success doesn't know ballxcoffeex

caribbeanhen
August 15th, 2023, 08:45 AM
Never believe what CH posts is what CH actually believes, that was just to tempting to pass up

KPSUL
August 15th, 2023, 12:06 PM
It's kinda wild how everyone thinks Wofford sucks now when less than 4 years ago we won our third straight socon title, and when we hadn't run the flexbone proper in 20 years. Heck, even in the covid spring year which was weird AF we were a couple bounces of the ball from getting a playoff spot (We weren't an option team at all, and still managed around 30 points per game - it was a weird year, sure, but it's a good data point that the option wasn't everything). And the latter two championships, we were certainly more of a hybrid team than a true option. And the option wasn't the reason our defense played so well either.

People want to talk about how Ayers and the option were the deciding factor for our success, and point to the post-Ayers dropoff (that they conveniently point to 3 years after he left), and not the fact that we didn't have a DC or with actual experience at the position from 2020-2021, while Ayers for the last 15 years of his career had like 5 coaches with 10+ years of experience at their positions on staff at Wofford. Conklin squandered our gains by being a bad leader and running off subordinates and star players (TJ Luther and VanCleave are two examples) being unable to find proper replacements. At the end, everyone hated him and many people just felt bad for some of the coaches (like our former DC) because he was clearly in over his head. You could see parts of this turn around last year with the hiring of Warwick (was JSU's DC at one point) and Watson.

But Conklin had to go, because at the end of the day, the damage was done and players hated. At the end of the day, Wofford's gonna run the ball better this year and play better defense and look nothing like the team of last year or a couple years ago because we're continuing that momentum and have more competent/experienced coaches in the trenches. I say this with certainty, not as a homer, but as someone who knows basic organizational dynamics: I'd rather have the DC(s) and OL coaches who combine for like 20 years + in experience at their positions than the ones with less than 7 (with most of them being one coach). That's what we were working with last year - and again, we were still a stone's throw away from 5 wins!

But hey, let's assume the only reason that Wofford was good was our coach and our gimmicky offense, the same as VMI and the Citadel. Why is it that Wofford got more championships than the Citadel or VMI got winning seasons?

My definition of sustained success is expecting a winning season every year, and if not having a championship 1/3 of the time, then at least making the playoffs at about that frequency. Every team in the conference except western carolina, VMI and Citadel has that expectation. You can be butt hurt about that, but the reality is that Wofford had a rough couple under some bad leadership, and we still almost won 5 games that last year, which would have made it closer to one of the best seasons of the past 20 years for the Citadel and VMI.

Everyone who says it was "just the option" that gave Wofford success doesn't know ballxcoffeex

What is your assessment of the 2023 Wofford team? How do you think they will do wins vs losses both in conference and overall. What would you see as a strong indication that Wofford is "back"?

FUBeAR
August 15th, 2023, 12:45 PM
What is your assessment of the 2023 Wofford team? How do you think they will do wins vs losses both in conference and overall. What would you see as a strong indication that Wofford is "back"?
RoT projected 7-9 wins for Woffy…

…we get through the first 6 games at 4-2…3 [more] winnable games on the schedule in ETSU, citadel, and WCU.

…games like Mercer and Furman…coinflips.

…that's what I think will happen.

4 + (ETSU + citadel + WCU) = 4 + 3 = 7

7 + (Mercer + Furman) = 7 + 2 = 9

…but then said he didn’t (even though FUBeAR quoted his post), so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reign of Terrier
August 16th, 2023, 12:01 PM

RoT projected 7-9 wins for Woffy…

4 + (ETSU + citadel + WCU) = 4 + 3 = 7

7 + (Mercer + Furman) = 7 + 2 = 9

…but then said he didn’t (even though FUBeAR quoted his post), so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You keep quoting me, but for getting the conditional *if*. That's a big omission!

I think you can expect Wofford to win no less than 5 games, and should be surprised if we won 6 or 8. Let me break down my reasoning for each game.

I expect us to beat PC, VMI, and the Citadel. We beat them last year, or were better than them last year, and I expect our improvement this year to be better than theirs. Or at the very least, the improvement that VMI/Citadel has won't be enough to beat us.
I'm pretty confident (65%+) we can beat Western Carolina and ETSU. The reason why is because we either beat them last year, or came close. I expect ETSU's defense to regress and our offense to improve, which favors us. I don't expect Western to have an elite defense by any means, and I expect our defense to better. Since the game is at home and we lost a lead last year in the second half, that favors us. But I'm not as confident in believing this as the first bullet point.
I'm confident that we have within us to beat Chattanooga, William & Mary, or Mercer (coin flip) because we've either never played those teams, or I think we match up decently with their style of play. This is probably the hottest take of my predictions, but it comes down to the fact that Chattanooga and Mercer have found ways to lose games they shouldn't have in the last couple years. And this team is completely different from the last time we played (much how Mercer beating Wofford in the fall of 2021 was a different matchup from the spring of 2021). I'll talk about W&M in a second.
I'm not confident Wofford can beat Samford or Furman *at this point in time* because I think they're both on the same level. We haven't beaten Samford since the Obama administration, for reasons both complicated and simple. But young, promising teams get better over the course of a year. If Wofford is sitting at 4-1 going into Samford or 7-3 going into Furman, I would nudge the games up to a coin flip.
We're not going to beat Pitt, but if we're the team I think we can be, I'd expect us to keep it close for at least 20-30 minutes.

How can we tell if Wofford's back? I'd say the manner in which we play the first two games. I don't expect to beat Pitt, as I said, but if we can do anything from turn it into a track meet (we score more than 20) or keep them under 30 or play well at the line of scrimmage, those are three possible indicators that "something has changed." Last year, at our peak, we could pass the ball well, but we couldn't run the ball well enough, and our defense couldn't stop anyone. I don't expect us to be able to slow down Pitt relative to the averages they eventually produce, but I think Watson's style of play will be conducive to getting some yardage and points. So keeping them under 30, or us scoring 20, or holding them to a low ypc while running for more than 3ypc on our end will make me feel good going into W&M

I think the William & Mary game will be winnable and the reasoning is simple: I think the Socon is better than the CAA at moment. At the beginning of the year last year, Wofford was absolute trash, getting shut out by Elon 26-0. By the end of the year, we weren't good, but we weren't trash, and lost to Furman 63-28 (with one of those TD's being a blocked kick). The next week, Elon played Furman and got smacked by a similar margin 31-6. And Elon was one of the better teams in the CAA. On top of that, Wofford beat Elon in 2021 and it was the only one Wofford got! While Elon finished mid-tier.

Am I certain of this? Not really, but it's the only few data points I really have. It could be the case that Wofford is "back" and we lose to William and Mary; because it can also be true that the CAA is inferior to the Socon and they have a couple really good teams. Even if we lose to William and Mary, I don't expect it to be a blowout, and I think the best thing we have going for us is that William & Mary players may expect a blowout. I'm just not impressed with William & Mary's resume yet to say their a top 8 FCS team, for reasons I already explained (Mercer also beat Gardner webb by 40). By the same token, I think if Wofford beats W&M, it's because we're good, not because W&M is overrated.

If Wofford beats William & Mary, I'd say we're "back" as I think we'll win at least 7 games

Hope that's comprehensive enough!

In the context of this thread, if you truly believe Wofford is a bottom 10 team or will finish with the same record as VMI or the Citadel, I will take bets now.

KPSUL
August 17th, 2023, 12:39 PM
You keep quoting me, but for getting the conditional *if*. That's a big omission!

I think you can expect Wofford to win no less than 5 games, and should be surprised if we won 6 or 8. Let me break down my reasoning for each game.

I expect us to beat PC, VMI, and the Citadel. We beat them last year, or were better than them last year, and I expect our improvement this year to be better than theirs. Or at the very least, the improvement that VMI/Citadel has won't be enough to beat us.
I'm pretty confident (65%+) we can beat Western Carolina and ETSU. The reason why is because we either beat them last year, or came close. I expect ETSU's defense to regress and our offense to improve, which favors us. I don't expect Western to have an elite defense by any means, and I expect our defense to better. Since the game is at home and we lost a lead last year in the second half, that favors us. But I'm not as confident in believing this as the first bullet point.
I'm confident that we have within us to beat Chattanooga, William & Mary, or Mercer (coin flip) because we've either never played those teams, or I think we match up decently with their style of play. This is probably the hottest take of my predictions, but it comes down to the fact that Chattanooga and Mercer have found ways to lose games they shouldn't have in the last couple years. And this team is completely different from the last time we played (much how Mercer beating Wofford in the fall of 2021 was a different matchup from the spring of 2021). I'll talk about W&M in a second.
I'm not confident Wofford can beat Samford or Furman *at this point in time* because I think they're both on the same level. We haven't beaten Samford since the Obama administration, for reasons both complicated and simple. But young, promising teams get better over the course of a year. If Wofford is sitting at 4-1 going into Samford or 7-3 going into Furman, I would nudge the games up to a coin flip.
We're not going to beat Pitt, but if we're the team I think we can be, I'd expect us to keep it close for at least 20-30 minutes.

How can we tell if Wofford's back? I'd say the manner in which we play the first two games. I don't expect to beat Pitt, as I said, but if we can do anything from turn it into a track meet (we score more than 20) or keep them under 30 or play well at the line of scrimmage, those are three possible indicators that "something has changed." Last year, at our peak, we could pass the ball well, but we couldn't run the ball well enough, and our defense couldn't stop anyone. I don't expect us to be able to slow down Pitt relative to the averages they eventually produce, but I think Watson's style of play will be conducive to getting some yardage and points. So keeping them under 30, or us scoring 20, or holding them to a low ypc while running for more than 3ypc on our end will make me feel good going into W&M

I think the William & Mary game will be winnable and the reasoning is simple: I think the Socon is better than the CAA at moment. At the beginning of the year last year, Wofford was absolute trash, getting shut out by Elon 26-0. By the end of the year, we weren't good, but we weren't trash, and lost to Furman 63-28 (with one of those TD's being a blocked kick). The next week, Elon played Furman and got smacked by a similar margin 31-6. And Elon was one of the better teams in the CAA. On top of that, Wofford beat Elon in 2021 and it was the only one Wofford got! While Elon finished mid-tier.

Am I certain of this? Not really, but it's the only few data points I really have. It could be the case that Wofford is "back" and we lose to William and Mary; because it can also be true that the CAA is inferior to the Socon and they have a couple really good teams. Even if we lose to William and Mary, I don't expect it to be a blowout, and I think the best thing we have going for us is that William & Mary players may expect a blowout. I'm just not impressed with William & Mary's resume yet to say their a top 8 FCS team, for reasons I already explained (Mercer also beat Gardner webb by 40). By the same token, I think if Wofford beats W&M, it's because we're good, not because W&M is overrated.

If Wofford beats William & Mary, I'd say we're "back" as I think we'll win at least 7 games

Hope that's comprehensive enough!

In the context of this thread, if you truly believe Wofford is a bottom 10 team or will finish with the same record as VMI or the Citadel, I will take bets now.

Yes, thanks I knew it would be! If your analysis is sound, then it is going to be even harder to project the outcome of SoCon games this season.

Any thoughts about VMI under new head coach Danny Rocco from the SoCon faithful? Although mucho grande maligned by Delaware fans, Rocco has put up winning records in three previous head coaching jobs: Delaware, Richmond and Liberty.

kdinva
August 17th, 2023, 01:00 PM
......Any thoughts about VMI under new head coach Danny Rocco from the SoCon faithful? Although mucho grande maligned by Delaware fans, Rocco has put up winning records in three previous head coaching jobs: Delaware, Richmond and Liberty.

I expect VMI to win two or three SoCon games....

FUBeAR
August 17th, 2023, 01:09 PM
Which 3 SoCon Teams will lose to VMI in 2023?

FUBeAR saw the Keydets RUIN & WRECK Mercer's 2021 Season @ Mercer 45-7 when VMI was only 6-5/4-4...and Mercer was, only 1 month later, just inches away from winning the SoCon Championship over 10-1 Seeded Playoff Team, ETSU, in the final Regular Season game. But, the VMI devastation kept Mercer from winning the SoCon Championship, and making the Playoffs, even with the very narrow loss to ETSU. It was the VMI game that scuttled the Bear's ship.

So...FUBeAR knows the 'roos can do it.

Whose season are they gonna WRECK, most likely, in 2023?

uni88
August 17th, 2023, 01:32 PM

FUBeAR saw the Keydets RUIN & WRECK Mercer's 2021 Season @ Mercer 45-7 when VMI was only 6-5/4-4...and Mercer was, only 1 month later, just inches away from winning the SoCon Championship over 10-1 Seeded Playoff Team, ETSU, in the final Regular Season game. But, the VMI devastation kept Mercer from winning the SoCon Championship, and making the Playoffs, even with the very narrow loss to ETSU. It was the VMI game that scuttled the Bear's ship.

Furman's ...xsmiley_wix

MR. CHICKEN
August 17th, 2023, 01:34 PM

.......................xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxl olxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx...........xnodx.....B RAWK!

FUBeAR
August 17th, 2023, 01:46 PM
Furman's ...xsmiley_wix
At home, on Sr. Day, when Furman could have as many as 49 Sr's...bold prediction. Since you are predicting a WIN for VMI, how many points are you willing to give FUBeAR and what would you like to wager on this game?

uni88
August 17th, 2023, 02:49 PM
At home, on Sr. Day, when Furman could have as many as 49 Sr's...bold prediction. Since you are predicting a WIN for VMI, how many points are you willing to give FUBeAR and what would you like to wager on this game?

Does FUBARe not know what this xsmiley_wixmeans?

FUBeAR
August 17th, 2023, 03:33 PM
Does FUBARe not know what this xsmiley_wixmeans?
Sure. It means you like FUBeAR in a less-than-pure manner. FUBeAR is used to that.

Reign of Terrier
August 17th, 2023, 05:03 PM
Yes, thanks I knew it would be! If your analysis is sound, then it is going to be even harder to project the outcome of SoCon games this season.

Any thoughts about VMI under new head coach Danny Rocco from the SoCon faithful? Although mucho grande maligned by Delaware fans, Rocco has put up winning records in three previous head coaching jobs: Delaware, Richmond and Liberty.

I don't know much about Rocco, but from memory, he did well at Liberty, he did well at Richmond, and so he probably knows how to recruit Virginia, which is essential for VMI, given their constraints. But in the era of NIL and the transfer portal, and with VMI not having a graduate school like the Citadel does, I just don't see how you get buy-in over a long period of time. We saw this after VMI won the socon - a lot of their players hit the portal! It's hard place to recruit students period, let alone student athletes.

VMI (and the Citadel) will always fight you like hell, and look to find ways to innovate on the field, given off-the-field constraints. That amounts to I think a reasonable expectation of winning 3-5 games any year - if anything by scheduling 2 cupcake FCS teams. Upsets can happen and will happen. I just don't think all of that amounts to playoff spots and conference championships. Having said all of that, Rocco could definitely be a perennial 4-5 win coach, which would be like winning 8 or 9 anywhere else. I wouldn't be surprised by that at all, given his history.

This isn't unreasonable. If you can't play defense well or can't score a lot of points, VMI can beat you. Based on last year's outcomes, I'd say ETSU, Western, and the Citadel are all vulnerable, and possibly Chattanooga too (because VMI is their second to last FCS opponent and UTC has collapsed in October/November the last couple of years).

Furman's ...xsmiley_wix

I believe this forum is in consensus, that if a team goes 2-6 in Socon play, the 2 wins are against Furman and Mercer. It doesn't matter who. It's consensus :D

caribbeanhen
August 17th, 2023, 05:37 PM

VMI is perfect for Danny Rocco

he doesn’t need to learn how to work the portal, that’s essential now but not at VMI

He was loyal to senior players to a fault, he rightfully got labeled as stubborn for this but his ideology should work better at VMI

and let’s face it, expectations are much higher at Delaware…

recruiting? Well the overall talent level was trending down at Delaware, lots of misses. This holes will show up this year for the Hens as Ryan Carty is patching holes with transfers