PDA

View Full Version : Hauck rumors

CrazyCat
November 26th, 2007, 04:11 PM
C'mon Grizzlies, what's the scoop. Rumor has him going to Colorado State and the Washington State job is going to be open this afternoon.

Syntax Error
November 26th, 2007, 04:15 PM
for every yin there's a yang....... so if Griz fans don't give us the scoop there's always:
http://www.wrapables.com/images/product/C55661.jpg

:)

Cleets
November 26th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Chan Gaily has a Ranch in Montana...
Uh Oh.. if Bobby Hauck Goes.. Does Chan go to the crappy low-down dumps of the Big Sky...???

FCS Go!
November 26th, 2007, 04:20 PM
I don't have a scoop but I would bet on Washington St. Hauck wants to be PAC-10, he is already familiar with recruiting in the Pacific NW and has coached at Washington before.

CrazyCat
November 26th, 2007, 04:23 PM
for every yin there's a yang....... so if Griz fans don't give us the scoop there's always:

You were waiting for the right moment to use that and you finally got your chance.:D

griz37
November 26th, 2007, 04:39 PM
posters on Ramnation.com, the CSU board, are saying Hauck to Ft. Collins is already a done deal.

www.ramnation.com

kalm
November 26th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Would Hauck be more of a candidate than Wulff? He played at WSU, has even more experience recruiting the NW, Washington State, and Cali, has been great at developing players, and has done well with less resources at EWU - kind of like how WSU is in the PAC-10.

Cripes, I hope the WSU AD doesn't read this board.

DuckDuckGriz
November 26th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Would Hauck be more of a candidate than Wulff? He played at WSU, has even more experience recruiting the NW, Washington State, and Cali, has been great at developing players, and has done well with less resources at EWU - kind of like how WSU is in the PAC-10.

I actually have heard rumors that Wulff may be on his way to Missoula xnodx

Syntax Error
November 26th, 2007, 04:48 PM
posters on Ramnation.com, the CSU board, are saying Hauck to Ft. Collins is already a done deal.
www.ramnation.comPuleeeeeeeze! That place is a ZOO!

ursus arctos horribilis
November 26th, 2007, 04:52 PM
I actually have heard rumors that Wulff may be on his way to Missoula xnodx

Personally, I hope it's Van Diest. But I don't know as much as those that would be making the decision so.....
He does have prior ties to the program as Joe Glenn did. You can't argue with his success at Carroll.

Grizo406
November 26th, 2007, 04:52 PM

"Everybody's wearing a disguise
To hide what they've got left behind their eyes.
But me, I can't cover what I am
Wherever the Griz go I'll follow them."
-BDylan
-Grizo

mvemjsunpx
November 26th, 2007, 04:54 PM

Paul Wulff could be out of the WSU job simply because he's not done coaching yet. It probably will be too late if EWU beats Appalachian St. this week (assuming WSU fires Doba).

Wulff would be a good choice for Montana. Mike Kramer made a similar move when he left EWU for Montana State.

DuckDuckGriz
November 26th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Paul Wulff could be out of the WSU job simply because he's not done coaching yet. It probably will be too late if EWU beats Appalachian St. this week (assuming WSU fires Doba).

Wulff would be a good choice for Montana. Mike Kramer made a similar move when he left EWU for Montana State.

I think Wulff would be ideal for the Griz. He knows the conference well enough and I think all Griz fans would be happy with Wulff's aggressive pass-style schemes.

Syntax Error
November 26th, 2007, 04:55 PM
"I'm lettin' the cat out of the cage, I'm keeping a low profile
Well, I cried for you - now it's your turn, you can cry awhile"
-BDylan

Peems
November 26th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Would it be lateral, if Wulff wins this weekend and makes it to the semis? All indications are that EWU should be BETTER next year. I think he would like to finish things off there, or move up to FBS

grizbeer
November 26th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Would it be lateral, if Wulff wins this weekend and makes it to the semis? All indications are that EWU should be BETTER next year. I think he would like to finish things off there, or move up to FBSHopefully EWU wins this weekend, and gets to host a semifinal game at Joe Albi - then 10,000 Montana fans could show up to show Wulff how much we admire and appreciate his coaching style and would like him to come to Montana - then it might not seem so much like a lateral move. I agree, though, EWU should be the favorite to win the conference next year.

mvemjsunpx
November 26th, 2007, 05:12 PM
I think Wulff would be ideal for the Griz. He knows the conference well enough and I think all Griz fans would be happy with Wulff's aggressive pass-style schemes.

He'd be my first choice, assuming he's available.

Paul Wulff has led EWU, the smallest school in the Big Sky with no home football attendance, to 7 winning seasons in 8 years.

Van Diest is a solid choice, but I would prefer Wulff. I think Rob Ash was a better choice for the Bobcats, given what he did at Drake. He's also a member of the AFCA Board of Trustees (so is Joe Glenn). I don't see why the Griz can't find someone better than Van Diest, as well. The Griz can recruit Montana regardless of who the coach is, so I would prefer someone who has non-Montana recruiting credentials.

mvemjsunpx
November 26th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Hopefully EWU wins this weekend, and gets to host a semifinal game at Joe Albi - then 10,000 Montana fans could show up to show Wulff how much we admire and appreciate his coaching style and would like him to come to Montana - then it might not seem so much like a lateral move. I agree, though, EWU should be the favorite to win the conference next year.

Unfortunately, I believe EWU only averaged about 5000-6000 fans this year. I don't see them being chosen to host over Wofford or Richmond unless one of them declines to put up the minimum bid.

Oh yeah, & Joe Albi's a piece of crap.

DuckDuckGriz
November 26th, 2007, 05:20 PM
What are the chances of Joe Glenn coming back to Montana or is he locked in at Wyoming or moving up

Pattycakes
November 26th, 2007, 05:22 PM
who knows if haucks even leaving yet, i mean a few years ago everyone said hauck was leaing for san diego state but that never happened. i would not be sad if hauck did leave though.

blueballs
November 26th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Chan Gaily has a Ranch in Montana...
Uh Oh.. if Bobby Hauck Goes.. Does Chan go to the crappy low-down dumps of the Big Sky...???

GT owes him 4 more years at $1mm/year... pretty good work if you can find it. My money would be for him to semi-retire but who knows?

griz37
November 26th, 2007, 05:23 PM
What are the chances of Joe Glenn coming back to Montana or is he locked in at Wyoming or moving up

He just fired his OC & former Griz WR Billy Cockhill to save his job at Wyo. so he will not be coming back & I don't think a lot of Griz fans want him back.

DuckDuckGriz
November 26th, 2007, 05:23 PM
who knows if haucks even leaving yet, i mean a few years ago everyone said hauck was leaing for san diego state but that never happened. i would not be sad if hauck did leave though.

Hauck opted for the one-year contract instead of a multi-year deal (the first multiyear offer in UM history I think) - so I believe he's been waiting on this and will go the first chance he gets to the FBS level. He loves it there and has actually been known to prefer the bowl system.

DuckDuckGriz
November 26th, 2007, 05:24 PM
He just fired his OC & former Griz WR Billy Cockhill to save his job at Wyo. so he will not be coming back & I don't think a lot of Griz fans want him back.

Really?? I would think Griz fans would LOVE to have Glenn back - I certainly would not just for our on the field play but to possibly add some insurance to our reputation off the field as well. Joe runs a clean program.

griz37
November 26th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Really?? I would think Griz fans would LOVE to have Glenn back - I certainly would not just for our on the field play but to possibly add some insurance to our reputation off the field as well. Joe runs a clean program.

He burned a lot of bridges with the way he left in '02. A lot of people feel that he gave up on that season so that he could hurry up & get to Wyoming. Not saying that is how I feel personally but there is a lot of bad blood towards him in Missoula.

Syntax Error
November 26th, 2007, 05:27 PM
coming to Montana

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/186/436467160_fe76866709.jpg

DuckDuckGriz
November 26th, 2007, 05:27 PM
He burned a lot of bridges with the way he left in '02. A lot of people feel that he gave up on that season so that he could hurry up & get to Wyoming. Not saying that is how I feel personally but there is a lot of bad blood towards him in Missoula.

I can see that but I don't see how that would be true. We blew a 17 point lead at McNeese and probably would have been in the national championship that year. However that was two weeks after what I consider the only blemish of Glenn's tenure: not putting in Brandon Neil at QB against the Bobcats in 2002 xnonono2x

NE MT GRIZZ
November 26th, 2007, 05:28 PM

THe way he left was very chickensh$t. I wouldn't want him back.

If Wyoming has another year like this, Joe may be out in Laramie, and back at Northern Colorado.:D

griz37
November 26th, 2007, 05:29 PM
I can see that but I don't see how that would be true. We blew a 17 point lead at McNeese and probably would have been in the national championship that year. However that was two weeks after what I consider the only blemish of Glenn's tenure: not putting in Brandon Neil at QB against the Bobcats in 2002 xnonono2x

Don't forget the rumor is that he walked out of the team meeting the Monday after the McNeese loss to take a call from Wyoming & never returned.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 26th, 2007, 05:30 PM

I can honestly say that I don't know a single fan that wouldn't want him back although I'm sure there are a few. He and his staff have kept close ties to those of us that had ties with them when they were here. Even bringing back quite a bit of Wyoming swag for a group of us over the 4th of July this year at a BBQ in Missoula.

DuckDuckGriz
November 26th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Don't forget the rumor is that he walked out of the team meeting the Monday after the McNeese loss to take a call from Wyoming & never returned.

If that rumor were true I would be very surprised. I know I sound very defensive of Glenn but that just does not seem like his style. If it is true though you are right I don't want him back - although can anyone really say that Bobby Hauck wouldn't do the same thing

mvemjsunpx
November 26th, 2007, 05:32 PM

I don't know about that. Remember Brandon Malcolm & David Gober? Hauck also has a much better reputation for academic success from his players.

Syntax Error
November 26th, 2007, 05:32 PM
is someone coming?
http://moldychum.typepad.com/moldy_chum/images/montana.jpg

DuckDuckGriz
November 26th, 2007, 05:34 PM
I don't know about that. Remember Brandon Malcolm & David Gober? Hauck also has a much better reputation for academic success from his players.

Brandon Malcolm I remember very well and Glenn did not even invite him back to spring ball in 02. I spoke to him personally about it and he simply said "Brandon is a guy that does not have both oars in the water and right now he is not fit to be a Grizzly."

DuckDuckGriz
November 26th, 2007, 05:35 PM
is someone coming?
http://moldychum.typepad.com/moldy_chum/images/montana.jpg

We won't know for atleast a week or more - all we will know about in the near future is if someone is leaving ;)

OB55
November 26th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Could it be somebody on the INSIDE?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5b/Brubaker_movie_poster.jpg

DuckDuckGriz
November 26th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Could it be somebody on the INSIDE?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5b/Brubaker_movie_poster.jpg

If it turns out to be Rob Phenecie I imagine that someone in Missoula will get murdered and it won't be by one of our players :o (only saying this due to my observations)

ursus arctos horribilis
November 26th, 2007, 05:59 PM
If that rumor were true I would be very surprised. I know I sound very defensive of Glenn but that just does not seem like his style. If it is true though you are right I don't want him back - although can anyone really say that Bobby Hauck wouldn't do the same thing

This rumor is just that a rumor from what some of the players I talked to said. And this does not fit into his character AT ALL so I didn't believe it when I heard it. Joe also called Dennison after he heard this rumor and basically said that he didn't know where this rumor came from but wished it would stop. I don't know if Dennison did anything from that point to dispel the rumor but I didn't hear much about it after the usual "he lost that last game because he was thinking about his next job" kinda BS that goes on every time a coach moves on. I can't figure out how Joe leaving was Chicken***** to anybody. If I, or you were offered a job in your same profession for 5-6 times the money you were making now then you would probably think about taking it.

Stubbins
November 26th, 2007, 06:13 PM

Oh God, Please Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!xnonono2x

Stubbins
November 26th, 2007, 06:16 PM

wouldn't have mattered, receivers couldn't catch a cold that game.xbawlingx

OB55
November 26th, 2007, 06:31 PM

When asked about the possibility of a return to the Griz, Joe responded
http://www.thefansports.com/blog/1/custom/GlennSmall.jpg

ursus arctos horribilis
November 26th, 2007, 06:35 PM
When asked about the possibility of a return to the Griz, Joe responded
http://www.thefansports.com/blog/1/custom/GlennSmall.jpg

All right, that does it, now I am mad at him!

TokyoGriz
November 26th, 2007, 07:06 PM
A new coach is going to do the Griz a world of good. Hauck has really been hanging on, sort of in cruise control waiting for the big step up the FBS this year.

Hes not a bad coach, just has not pressured the OC ROb Phonecie or the other Offensive coaches much since he began here. Eastern Washington has an offense they can be proud of. Montana does not. This speaks volumes about Haucks coaching style and lack of focus on offense.

Rob Phonice needs to get a one way ticket out of town when Hauck leaves. Well, at least not be OC anymore, its not really that personal.

The current EWU coach Wulff would be a awesome pick for the University of Montana team. The reality is the vast majority of UM fans like to win and win big. We were born on raised on the west coast offenses that really made this team in the 90s. The offense you see in EWU atm is exatcly what 99% of griz fans want to see when they go to a game here in missoula.

Bobby Hauck has really cruised the last 5 years taking his teams to the playoffs but nothing further. Time for a coach who wants and expects to go all the way every year, not settle for conf championships and 1st round losses. Hauck plays not to lose and lacks the killer instinct we need for a good offensive team.

But if CSU thinks hes the shizzle then good luck to them! And thanks for taking BH and his loser OC Robbie boy off our hands.

Hey Bobby, dont forget to take Robbie boy with ya!

And good luck in Colorado!

ncbears
November 26th, 2007, 07:18 PM
THe way he left was very chickensh$t. I wouldn't want him back.

If Wyoming has another year like this, Joe may be out in Laramie, and back at Northern Colorado.:D

Fine by me. Everyone here would welcome him.

AZGrizFan
November 26th, 2007, 08:41 PM

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx
xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

That man can flat RECRUIT QB's!!! xnodx

Grizo406
November 26th, 2007, 09:03 PM
"I'm lettin' the cat out of the cage, I'm keeping a low profile
Well, I cried for you - now it's your turn, you can cry awhile"
-BDylan

True dat, but...

"Come on brother, join the band,
Come on sisters, clap your hands,
Tell everybody that's in Griz land,
We ain't a-gonna grieve no more."
-BDylan
-Grizo
:D

Shellin
November 26th, 2007, 09:21 PM
I am currently attending Washington State and Doba did resign/get fired or whatever it was this afternoon. Our AD has been pretty quiet about potential candidates for the job so far but the two names that I have seen mentioned are Mike Price and Bobby Hauck.

AZGrizFan
November 26th, 2007, 09:25 PM
I am currently attending Washington State and Doba did resign/get fired or whatever it was this afternoon. Our AD has been pretty quiet about potential candidates for the job so far but the two names that I have seen mentioned are Mike Price and Bobby Hauck.

You have GOT to be ****tin' me.

Again?

You know, "Roll Cougars" just doesn't sound the same as "Roll Tide!" when you're being ridden by a hooker. xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

Walkon79
November 26th, 2007, 09:36 PM

I hope he does. On the other hand, you could get Kramer back then!!

Sorryass
November 26th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Every year there are rumors --maybe it's true, maybe not. Some of us would love Wulff to come to Montana. I like Van Diest, but many say he can't bring the same thing he's done at Carroll to the FCS. He would need a full staff of coaches to come with him; Carroll doesn't have that. They're a great team in their league - but a jump to FCS is a big one.

I've been a Hauck doubter for 4 years -- but he is second only to Don Read in number of wins, and with fewer seasons as head coach. So what do we know????

Montana had a great year; disappointing loss Saturday, but no shame in being beat by Wofford. I'm hoping Wofford goes all the way to the championship, if Eastern Washington doesn't get there.

TokyoGriz
November 26th, 2007, 11:04 PM
Every year there are rumors --maybe it's true, maybe not. Some of us would love Wulff to come to Montana. I like Van Diest, but many say he can't bring the same thing he's done at Carroll to the FCS. He would need a full staff of coaches to come with him; Carroll doesn't have that. They're a great team in their league - but a jump to FCS is a big one.

I've been a Hauck doubter for 4 years -- but he is second only to Don Read in number of wins, and with fewer seasons as head coach. So what do we know????

We know that Hauck plays ball just good enough to win our conference with his play to not lose strategy. This Offensive ineptness hasnt gotten us into the National Championship in 5 years, with mostly early exits in 1st rounds.

Not good enough for most Montana fans and understandibly so. It would be better for the team to take some chances on offense and lose a few games if it leads to learning to play offensive football. Theres no shame in losing to learn a lesson on the way to the championship. Look at the teams in the playoffs this year, having a loss or two is often and asset not a deficit.

Seems that Bobby and the AD think padding our schedule is a good idea for the perfect seasons. But it makes us weak as a team when crunch time comes.

Having the most wins in grizzly coaching history means exactly jack-s### without some NC rings to show for it. Thats what we know and thats what Hauck has brought to Montana football. Padding his resume with close wins means jack to fans. Might help him get a job, but us not getting into the championship game is not ok.

Griz fans want to play to win the National Championship ! Hauck doesnt get that.

mvemjsunpx
November 26th, 2007, 11:58 PM
A new coach is going to do the Griz a world of good. Hauck has really been hanging on, sort of in cruise control waiting for the big step up the FBS this year.

Hes not a bad coach, just has not pressured the OC ROb Phonecie or the other Offensive coaches much since he began here. Eastern Washington has an offense they can be proud of. Montana does not. This speaks volumes about Haucks coaching style and lack of focus on offense.

Rob Phonice needs to get a one way ticket out of town when Hauck leaves. Well, at least not be OC anymore, its not really that personal.

The current EWU coach Wulff would be a awesome pick for the University of Montana team. The reality is the vast majority of UM fans like to win and win big. We were born on raised on the west coast offenses that really made this team in the 90s. The offense you see in EWU atm is exatcly what 99% of griz fans want to see when they go to a game here in missoula.

Bobby Hauck has really cruised the last 5 years taking his teams to the playoffs but nothing further. Time for a coach who wants and expects to go all the way every year, not settle for conf championships and 1st round losses. Hauck plays not to lose and lacks the killer instinct we need for a good offensive team.

But if CSU thinks hes the shizzle then good luck to them! And thanks for taking BH and his loser OC Robbie boy off our hands.

Hey Bobby, dont forget to take Robbie boy with ya!

And good luck in Colorado!

This post is so full of crap I don't know where to begin.

First of all, Montana never ran the West Coast Offense. From 1986-98, Montana ran the Run & Shoot, essentially the same thing Portland runs now under Glanville. Some of principles are the same (controlling the ball with the pass), but West Coast teams (like Eastern Washington) don't line up in 4 WR & 5 WR packages every down. West Coast teams also use a fullback, something that Montana hasn't used (for the most part) since Don Read came in. West Coast teams don't pass the ball 80% of the time, either.

Also, why do you, & so many other Griz fans, hate Rob Phenicie so much? Is it because he doesn't pass the ball every down? Well, from what I've heard, Phenecie wants to throw the ball a lot more, but Hauck likes to play conservative & run. Hauck has the final say, so that's why the Griz run so much. I actually prefer Hauck's thinking given Montana's personnel during his tenure. Is it the allegedly uncreative playcalling? First of all, I don't see what's that uncreative about it. Second of all, playcalling isn't just about fooling the other team on every play, it's also about playing to your team's strengths. I know most teams' fans hate their OC, so this thinking isn't really unique. However, Griz fans seem to think he's responsible for every mistake the Griz make, even on defense. I'm not going to say he's the best OC ever, far from it, but he's decent enough to get the job done. I don't think he's any worse than Bill Cockhill or Brent Pease were. Bob Cole was great, but he was only at Montana 1 year (1999). If you want us to return to the run & shoot, just say so. That's just not the type of offense Phenicie runs. As for me, I don't think the type of offense matters that much as long as you have the players to fit that offense.

The results speak for themselves. In addition to all the wins, Montana has had one of the best statistical offenses every year under Hauck with the exception of 2005, and that's partially because we started a Freshman QB most of the year. Remember how good the offense was in 2004, particularly after the running game got going just before the playoffs? Even with a sub-200 yard game against Sac State thrown in, the Griz still averaged 415 yards per game this season. Cole Bergquist, who I think we would all agree is good, but not nearly a phenom, threw for 2623 yards & 20 TD's & had a passing efficiency rating of 141.6, which is way above average. The Griz offense also averaged 180 yards per game on the ground. I'm sure I could produce more evidence to support the offense, but I don't think that's necessary. The Griz defense has been anywhere from good to great from 2003-07 & the special teams, which Hauck coaches himself, have been consistently among the best units in I-AA/FCS during his tenure. Hauck is also an outstanding recruiter, as the constantly high talent level shows.

Looking at the losses in Bobby Hauck's tenure, only one of them is obviously attributable to coaching, and that is last Saturday's Wofford loss. That loss was not Rob Phenicie's fault, though, it was largely Kraig Paulson's. If you're that desperate to get coaches noticeably better than Hauck & his staff at an FCS school, you're going to be desperate for a long time.

Green26
November 27th, 2007, 12:43 AM
Tokyo, what kind of Griz fan are you--not even knowing that the Griz went to the national championship game in 2004 (losing to James Madison)? Jeez, why are you so negative at times, and where do you get some of this material you post?

OB55
November 27th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Don't have to be a grand wiz of football prognostication to see that tokyo is right on. Paying off teams to avoid road games, playing RMAC schools at Wash/Griz ILO quality FCS OOC opponents, hell, not even playing quality D-II squads like some other conference members :D. Hardly a way to prepare your squad for the stepped up intensity of the play off environment. Obvious to me that Hauck is padding his stats and jerking the Griz fans off with gaudy regular season W/L records.

Really he shoots himself in the foot with regards to getting a higher paying position at a successful program, those folks who hire for positions like that are much smarter than your average home town tailgater.

OK, you had a perfect record, got a #3 seed and crapped down your leg in the first round, at home.

Go ahead and play Western State at home next fall, have another perfect record, but don't cry foul when you do not receive a seed next year in the play-offs.

AZGrizFan
November 27th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Don't have to be a grand wiz of football prognostication to see that tokyo is right on. Paying off teams to avoid road games, playing RMAC schools at Wash/Griz ILO quality FCS OOC opponents, hell, not even playing quality D-II squads like some other conference members :D. Hardly a way to prepare your squad for the stepped up intensity of the play off environment. Obvious to me that Hauck is padding his stats and jerking the Griz fans off with gaudy regular season W/L records.

Really he shoots himself in the foot with regards to getting a higher paying position at a successful program, those folks who hire for positions like that are much smarter than your average home town tailgater.

OK, you had a perfect record, got a #3 seed and crapped down your leg in the first round, at home.

Go ahead and play Western State at home next fall, have another perfect record, but don't cry foul when you do not receive a seed next year in the play-offs.

Come on, OB. You're smarter than that. You make it sound like BH MAKES the schedule. xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

OB55
November 27th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Come on, OB. You're smarter than that. You make it sound like BH MAKES the schedule. xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

A valid point AZ, he may not make the batter, but he fries the flapjacks.

A prod to the AD would be a good idea for sure.

grizbeer
November 27th, 2007, 08:59 AM
From Today's Seattle Times:

Sterk said Bill Moos, a former WSU player who most recently was athletic director at Oregon, will work as a consultant in the Cougars' coaching search. Moos now lives outside Spokane.

Sterk said professor Ken Casavant, WSU's faculty representative to the Pac-10, will work with John Johnson, senior associate athletic director, to screen candidates. Sterk said Doba has agreed to be involved as an adviser, though Doba didn't sound very enthusiastic about the assignment when asked by reporters.

California defensive coordinator Bob Gregory, a Spokane native who played at WSU in the mid-1980s, is considered an obvious candidate. And former Cougars coach Mike Price, 61, has been mentioned, too. Price, who coached at WSU from 1989-2002 before leaving to become head coach at Alabama, just completed his fourth year as head coach at Texas-El Paso.

Doba said he isn't interested in a scenario that would have him rejoin WSU staff as defensive coordinator under Price.

"I want to take a couple of years off," Doba said. He said he wants to play golf, fish and watch his grandson play football. Doba is an Indiana native and his children live in the Midwest.

Two other potential candidates are Montana coach Bobby Hauck and Eastern Washington coach Paul Wulff, who played on the 1988 WSU Aloha Bowl team.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/cougars/2004036973_coug27.html

FWIW Moos was the AD at Montana before moving on to Oregon.

mvemjsunpx
November 27th, 2007, 02:54 PM
A valid point AZ, he may not make the batter, but he fries the flapjacks.

A prod to the AD would be a good idea for sure.

Actually, O'Day should be getting props, not criticism. When the Griz were playing non-conference road games in the first part of this decade, the Athletic Department ran up a $1 million deficit. Now, we have one of the highest profits in DI athletics.

I also would have preferred another FCS game over Ft. Lewis, but it just wasn't realistic. Virtually no-one wants to come to Missoula without a home & home, & the Griz don't like non-conference road games without big payouts. Who can blame them? The difference in profit margin at home versus on the road is enormous as long as Montana keeps selling out every game.

Tom W
November 27th, 2007, 03:00 PM
xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx
xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

That man can flat RECRUIT QB's!!! xnodx

It's not just that Wulff can recruit QB's They get them DEVELOPED into great QB's.