PDA

View Full Version : Cornell Votes To Subsidize Football

Lehigh Football Nation
November 26th, 2007, 03:25 PM
More accurately, admission will now be free for sporting events.

http://cornellsun.com/node/26174

Amidst a controversial decision by the Student Assembly executive committee to revise the policy of appropriating funds, the S.A. Appropriations Committee approved an arrangement with the Athletics Department to make Big Red Sports Passes available to all undergraduate students at no cost. The plan, finalized by a vote taken last night, will subsidize the cost of the Pass with funds from the 2008-2010 Student Activity Fee.

The new policy will permit all undergraduate students who sign up within a specified time frame to receive subsidized sports passes, as opposed to paying the current fee of $40. Homecoming will remain free to all students, including those who do not sign up for the Pass.

According to the S.A. website, the current Student Activity Fee is $182. None of it is distributed to athletics. Under the new policy, according the Adam Gay ’08, vice president for finance of the S.A., the recommended funding distributed to athletics would be $9.95 per student, taken from the Fee.

Of the total allocation to the Athletics Department, $3.85 per student, will fund promotions and marketing campaigns, targeted at undergraduate students to attend athletic events.

“I have full faith that whatever money you get will be spent well,” Salem expressed to the representatives of the Athletic Department. “I just want to say, from what I hear from students, hockey is where the biggest school spirit is.”

According to Noel, the current athletic season has seen a great increase in the number of attendees. Noel cited that this year’s football season has averaged 8,900 attendees per home game football, an increase from the average of 5,000 attendees per game last season.

Free admission to athletic events is not a new policy. Prior to the fall of 2006, students were granted free admission to all varsity athletic events with the exception of men’s ice hockey games and playoff contests. According to The Sun, the Athletics Department was forced to begin charging an entrance fee to athletic events after “being denied byline funding by the S.A. after missing the proposal deadline.”

What does this mean to Cornell, if anything? Of course, a big xthumbsupx to them drawing an extra 3,000 to their games this year...

MplsBison
November 26th, 2007, 03:58 PM
When will Cornell start offering 63 scholarships in football?

TheValleyRaider
November 26th, 2007, 05:50 PM
When will Cornell start offering 63 scholarships in football?

As soon as the rest of the Ivies do

...which is to say never

As for what this means for Cornell, well, it sounds like they did this in the past, dropped it, and are now bringing it back. Charging for games isn't a great idea at a school like Cornell because the love for the Football team isn't strong enough. Only in Hockey do people truly care enough to plop down the dough to see the team. Switching to a paying format was not a good idea when it happened, so better for them that they'd be switching back.

ngineer
November 26th, 2007, 07:27 PM
I'm surprised Cornell was charging its students to attend football games. At Lehigh students get in with their student I.D., and I think most PL schools are like that. Plus, I was impressed at Princeton that they don't even charge for their programs.

Syntax Error
November 26th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Does Cornell hockey draw 8,900 attendees per home game like they do in football? Oops, looks like hockey draws half as much... http://collegehockeystats.net/0708/schedules/corm
Salem expressed to the representatives of the Athletic Department. “I just want to say, from what I hear from students, hockey is where the biggest school spirit is.” Salem needs to look again and get an adjustment to reality.

Grizalltheway
November 26th, 2007, 07:34 PM
I'm surprised Cornell was charging its students to attend football games. At Lehigh students get in with their student I.D., and I think most PL schools are like that. Plus, I was impressed at Princeton that they don't even charge for their programs.

Well, when you're paying 33K+ a year...

brownbear
November 26th, 2007, 07:45 PM
I think Cornell is (was) the only Ivy League school to still charge students to go to games. When I went to Brown's game this year in Ithaca, there were almost zero Cornell students at the game. For a school with 13,000 undergrads to have only a hundred show up is awful.

Cornell is very unusual in that it's part state school, part privately endowed, and the school is about double the size of each of the other Ivies. It has seemed like they have tried to run that program as if they were a giant FBS state school and not a non-scholarship program.

Now Brown doesn't charge students for any events. Just show your ID and walk in, and for playoff games, the athletic department subsidizes events so students can go for free. If they didn't do this, they would have barely any fans.

TheValleyRaider
November 26th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Does Cornell hockey draw 8,900 attendees per home game like they do in football? Oops, looks like hockey draws half as much... http://collegehockeystats.net/0708/schedules/corm Salem needs to look again and get an adjustment to reality.

Lynah Rink holds ~4,000, sells out nearly every game, and the line for season tickets could stretch across half of their significantly-sized campus. The Lynah Faithful are as good a fanbase for any sport anywhere and the pride Cornellians feel for any other Big Red team pales in comparison to the spirit they have for hockey.

brownbear
November 26th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Lynah Rink holds ~4,000, sells out nearly every game, and the line for season tickets could stretch across half of their significantly-sized campus. The Lynah Faithful are as good a fanbase for any sport anywhere and the pride Cornellians feel for any other Big Red team pales in comparison to the spirit they have for hockey.

It's like Cameron Stadium at Duke for basketball. Small arena, good team, and tickets are impossible to get.

TheValleyRaider
November 26th, 2007, 07:55 PM
It's like Cameron Stadium at Duke for basketball. Small arena, good team, and tickets are impossible to get.

I've been to both, Cameron has nothing on the Lynah Faithful

brownbear
November 26th, 2007, 07:59 PM
I've been to both, Cameron has nothing on the Lynah Faithful

Two weeks ago, Brown played Cornell in hockey in Providence, and more than half of the arena was Cornell fans. I was wondering how many live in Providence or Boston vs. how many traveled from New York and go to all of the games.

TheValleyRaider
November 26th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Two weeks ago, Brown played Cornell in hockey in Providence, and more than half of the arena was Cornell fans. I was wondering how many live in Providence or Boston vs. how many traveled from New York and go to all of the games.

It's a combination of the two. Because it was a conference game, I bet there were more regulars, but they definately have a widely-spread fanbase. I was at the Cornell-BU game at Madison Square Garden this past Saturday (sitting in the middle of the Cornell student section, which for me is like walking through fire), and the sold-out arena was at least 70% Cornell fans. They are dedicated, and slightly crazy. I have no problem saying that I respect the heck out of them. But I also want to beat them to the ground twice each and every year, more if the playoffs call for it.

Syntax Error
November 26th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Sorry twice as many show for FOOTBALL xrulesx

Put up or shut up...........

Play a game that gets more people than football averages.

AZGrizFan
November 26th, 2007, 11:30 PM

Oops, looks like syntax error forgot to check his facts before blasting Cornell hockey. xlolx xlolx xlolx

Syntax Error
November 26th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Oops, looks like syntax error forgot to check his facts before blasting Cornell hockey. Looks like I did check and you stuck your nose in when you didn't............ AGAIN! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

xlmaox

AZGrizFan
November 26th, 2007, 11:35 PM
Looks like I did check and you stuck your nose in when you didn't............ AGAIN! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

xlmaox

Let's see.....the hockey stadium fills up, and they have to GIVE away football tickets to get people to come. Yeah, sounds like a winner argument there. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

Syntax Error
November 26th, 2007, 11:38 PM
Let's see.....the hockey stadium fills up, and they have to GIVE away football tickets to get people to come. Yeah, sounds like a winner argument there.Geee, reduce the football stadium to 4K and have to turn away 4.5K average...

AZGrizFan
November 26th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Geee, reduce the football stadium to 4K and have to turn away 4.5K average...

Do they pay for hockey tickets? xeyebrowx

Syntax Error
November 26th, 2007, 11:42 PM
Do they pay for hockey tickets? xeyebrowxDo Montana students pay for basketball tickets?

AZGrizFan
November 26th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Do Montana students pay for basketball tickets?

I have no idea.

Syntax Error
November 26th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Point is hockey does not compare with football no matter what the admins say.

TheValleyRaider
November 26th, 2007, 11:47 PM
Point is nothing at Cornell compares with hockey, no matter what I say.

Fixed it xthumbsupx xlolx

Syntax Error
November 26th, 2007, 11:49 PM
Point is hockey does not compare with football no matter what the admins say.Tens of more student-athletes involved, bigger venues, there's no way it can and it will never. Football is the bedrock of collegiate sports and will never be unseated. It is what it is and for anyone to say anything else is ridiculous. Especially in the Ivy League.

Syntax Error
November 26th, 2007, 11:56 PM
Fixed it xthumbsupx xlolx
Very funny and I have been at frozen four regionals with the Colgate team and the attendance is NOWHERE as big as football.

TheValleyRaider
November 27th, 2007, 12:11 AM
Very funny and I have been at frozen four regionals with the Colgate team and the attendance is NOWHERE as big as football.

You're mixing Colgate and Cornell. Two very different schools. For example, Cornell is a desolate place, pushed up on a hill near a gorge outside the People's Republic of Ithaca. Colgate, on the other hand, is a beautiful campus nestled on the side of a hill in the Chenango Valley. Chenango is an old Indian word that means "Beat Cornell" xnodx

Colgate, in addition to having 1/10 the student body of Cornell, has far fewer hardcore dedicated hockey fans.

colorless raider
November 27th, 2007, 09:41 AM
You're mixing Colgate and Cornell. Two very different schools. For example, Cornell is a desolate place, pushed up on a hill near a gorge outside the People's Republic of Ithaca. Colgate, on the other hand, is a beautiful campus nestled on the side of a hill in the Chenango Valley. Chenango is an old Indian word that means "Beat Cornell" xnodx

Colgate, in addition to having 1/10 the student body of Cornell, has far fewer hardcore dedicated hockey fans.

Well put Valley Raider. Go 'Gate!!

AZGrizFan
November 27th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Tens of more student-athletes involved, bigger venues, there's no way it can and it will never. Football is the bedrock of collegiate sports and will never be unseated. It is what it is and for anyone to say anything else is ridiculous. Especially in the Ivy League.

Of course it's ridiculous. They disagree with you. In fact, I'd go so far as to call it unreasonable, uneducated smack. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

Dane96
November 27th, 2007, 10:24 AM
xnonox
Sorry twice as many show for FOOTBALL xrulesx

Put up or shut up...........

Play a game that gets more people than football averages.

You mean like the 18,000+ that showed up for Cornell's "HOME GAME" vs. BU in Madison Square Garden last week?

Dane96
November 27th, 2007, 10:26 AM

Really-- Interesting.

YaleFootballFan
November 27th, 2007, 11:08 AM

Cornell fans travel and they bring their fun antics with them on the road. Their pep band travels too. I have season tickets at QUINNIPIAC. Last year when the Cornell/QU game was played at Quinnipiac's old rink, there were hundreds of Big Red fans in the stands. There's no other ECAC school that has a fan base that travels as well as Cornell's. Clarkson and SLU fans travel, but not as much as Cornell.

Go Quinnipiac Bobcats!

Marcus Garvey
November 27th, 2007, 12:17 PM
I think everyone here is missing the point. Rather than subsidizing the cost of attending football for Cornell students, the administration should PAY students to attend games. Consider it compensation for having to watch such an underachieving program!

Seriously, when the Ivy League was formed in the early 50's, Cornell was one of the better teams in the east, near the end of the most successful era in the school's history. In the 42 season of formal Ivy play, they have won only 3 shared League titles and exactly ZERO outright titles.

Even Brown and Columbia have won outright league titles. Cornell football is underated as a symbol of underachieving futility.

bulldog10jw
November 27th, 2007, 12:49 PM
I think everyone here is missing the point. Rather than subsidizing the cost of attending football for Cornell students, the administration should PAY students to attend games. Consider it compensation for having to watch such an underachieving program!

Seriously, when the Ivy League was formed in the early 50's, Cornell was one of the better teams in the east, near the end of the most successful era in the school's history. In the 42 season of formal Ivy play, they have won only 3 shared League titles and exactly ZERO outright titles.

Even Brown and Columbia have won outright league titles. Cornell football is underated as a symbol of underachieving futility.

I don't think Columbia ever won an outright title. As far as I know they shared the '61 title with Harvard and that's it.

Marcus Garvey
November 27th, 2007, 12:51 PM
I don't think Columbia ever won an outright title. As far as I know they shared the '61 title with Harvard and that's it.

You're right, my bad. But still won their first shared title 10 years before Cornell.

aceinthehole
November 27th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Cornell fans travel and they bring their fun antics with them on the road. Their pep band travels too. I have season tickets at QUINNIPIAC. Last year when the Cornell/QU game was played at Quinnipiac's old rink, there were hundreds of Big Red fans in the stands. There's no other ECAC school that has a fan base that travels as well as Cornell's. Clarkson and SLU fans travel, but not as much as Cornell.

Go Quinnipiac Bobcats!

xnonono2x YFF - I liked you until this statement. xnonono2x

What is up with the unholy alliance between Yale and QU hockey? It all just makes me sick. I would think most Yale fans can't stand QU. How can you root against your Yale in the ECAC?

bulldog10jw
November 27th, 2007, 01:06 PM

What is up with the unholy alliance between Yale and QU hockey? It all just makes me sick. I would think most Yale fans can't stand QU. How can you root against your Yale in the ECAC?

I'm pretty sure YFF is a QU alum. That's why he calls himself Yale Football FAN.

YaleFootballFan
November 28th, 2007, 02:09 AM

As bulldog pointed out, I'm a Quinnipiac alum and a supporter of all Quinnipiac athletic programs. I have season tickets for men's hockey and I've been a member of the "Bobcat Club" since its inception six years ago.

I've also been attending Yale football games since the late '70s and I've been an avid fan since. I've only missed a handful of home games over the last 25 years. I've even logged some serious mileage over the years to see Yale on the road, from all 7 Ivy schools to Colgate, Lafayette, Army, Holy Cross....etc.

Once in a while I'll follow what Yale does in other sports, but football is the one sport at Yale that concerns me the most (hence the name "YaleFootballFan" as opposed to just "YaleFan"). And since Quinnipiac doesn't field a varsity football program, there's no conflict of interest. If QU does ever decide to start up varsity football at the FCS level, which they never will, then I have a tough decision to make. But I'm pretty sure that day will never come.

So in football, it's Go Elis!

Everything else, Go Bobcats! We want that NEC title in basketball! :D

colgate13
November 28th, 2007, 07:39 AM
Cornell Hockey is much, much bigger than football - sorry Syntax. If they had a hockey rink that could seat 10K, I would venture you'd have a larger hockey attendance.

Probably more importantly, if you had a hockey rink that sat 15K, and only had 5 home games a year, I bet Cornell hockey would sell out that venue.

It's an apples to oranges comparison that can't be made across sports and venues.

(seriously though, I saw this title and for a split second thought Cornell might try to do a grants in aid PL model for football. Then I remembered they were in the Ivy league!)

aceinthehole
November 28th, 2007, 09:25 AM
As bulldog pointed out, I'm a Quinnipiac alum and a supporter of all Quinnipiac athletic programs. I have season tickets for men's hockey and I've been a member of the "Bobcat Club" since its inception six years ago.

I've also been attending Yale football games since the late '70s and I've been an avid fan since. I've only missed a handful of home games over the last 25 years. I've even logged some serious mileage over the years to see Yale on the road, from all 7 Ivy schools to Colgate, Lafayette, Army, Holy Cross....etc.

Once in a while I'll follow what Yale does in other sports, but football is the one sport at Yale that concerns me the most (hence the name "YaleFootballFan" as opposed to just "YaleFan"). And since Quinnipiac doesn't field a varsity football program, there's no conflict of interest. If QU does ever decide to start up varsity football at the FCS level, which they never will, then I have a tough decision to make. But I'm pretty sure that day will never come.

So in football, it's Go Elis!

Everything else, Go Bobcats! We want that NEC title in basketball! :D

OK, but the NEC basketball title runs through New Britain, so don't get too excited. I wouldn't make any plans for March just yet :p

Syntax Error
November 28th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Tens of more student-athletes involved, bigger venues, there's no way it can and it will never. Football is the bedrock of collegiate sports and will never be unseated. It is what it is and for anyone to say anything else is ridiculous. Especially in the Ivy League.
Cornell Hockey is much, much bigger than football - sorry Syntax. If they had a hockey rink that could seat 10K, I would venture you'd have a larger hockey attendance.I see. I shouldn't have added the school spirit part in. :o I guess I was just talking about the football attendance, venue, amount of students involved, etc. Obviously a perenially losing football team is not going to garner a ton of school spirit! xsmhx