PDA

View Full Version : Why EWU has a chance

kalm
November 25th, 2007, 07:24 PM
ASU is the sure-fire favorite in this one, and for many good reasons. But for those of you unfamiliar with the Eagles, here's a few reasons why they might be able to keep it close or even pull off the upset:

1) Offense - A complex, no huddle offense with a variety of looks and personell packages. The Eagles like to put receivers in motion and run end-arounds and reverses. They also throw quite a few WR screens and pick plays. We have four capable receivers, all somewhat speedy (we've broken several short crossing routes for long TD's), and two with decent size in the 6'2" range.

And with five seniors on the o-line, the Eagles are good in pass protection (no sacks against McNeese), and can also run the ball effectively.

2) Defense - Great up front with speedy and athletic ends. The D has shown improvement throughout the season, but has really turned it up of late, taking away NAU's rushing attack, shutting down a potent Weber St. offense that had been scoring in the 50's, and holding McNeese, a team who averages 37 ppg to one offensive touchdown. The Eagles are not a lock down D, but create turnovers, and, with their d-line play, can make teams one dimensional

3) Experience. It may surprise some of you to hear that this is not Eastern's first dance. This is the 3rd trip to the playoffs in 4 years, and the seniors and coaching staff on this team have now won road games against a #1 (SIU in '04) and #2 seed (yesterday). They have played road games @ Air Force, West Virginia, Oregon State, and BYU. They had UNI down 10 in the dome late in 2005, and have beat Montana @ Washington Grizzly Stadium (2005).

Kid Brewer sounds like an awesome place to play, but EWU may be better equiped and less star struck than some teams in regards to playing in hostile environments and under pressure.

Again, none of this analysis is to suggest that Eastern has a competitive advantage. Just that they might be able to hang with ASU in they're house.

Here's to a great game. xthumbsupx

AppIAA
November 25th, 2007, 07:27 PM
after the msu beating ewu handed, I dont think many app fans are discounting the eagles at all.. its going to be a good game

ASUMountaineer
November 25th, 2007, 07:28 PM
ASU is the sure-fire favorite in this one, and for many good reasons. But for those of you unfamiliar with the Eagles, here's a few reasons why they might be able to keep it close or even pull off the upset:

Again, none of this analysis is to suggest that Eastern has a competitive advantage. Just that they might be able to hang with ASU in they're house.

I agree with you, EWU does have a chance. From everything I have read about you guys, you like to throw the ball. Thank goodness Edub isn't run first then pass--considering our questionable run defense. I am looking forward to seeing you guys in Boone. I always enjoy seeing us play teams we would otherwise be unlikely to play. I hope it's a good game (not as good as yesterday's) and an Appalachian victory.

APPSTER
November 25th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Let me speak for every single ASU poster on this board....we respect EWU and know that this could be as tough a game as we've ever played @ Kidd Brewer. Nobody is overlooking EWU. You've got a great QB and a senior laden O-line. That's enough by itself.

proasu89
November 25th, 2007, 07:41 PM
because....you're good enough to be 9-3 and in the second round.

AND

It's all about the AGS.

unicat87
November 25th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Anyone left in the field has a chance, and I really thought EWU would win last night. EWU has only gotten better since the UNI comeback in that game. Best wishes and good luck to both teams this Saturday and may the best team win. -unicat87

appstate38
November 25th, 2007, 08:11 PM

1) Offense - A complex, no huddle offense with a variety of looks and personell packages. The Eagles like to put receivers in motion and run end-arounds and reverses. They also throw quite a few WR screens and pick plays. We have four capable receivers, all somewhat speedy (we've broken several short crossing routes for long TD's), and two with decent size in the 6'2" range.

And with five seniors on the o-line, the Eagles are good in pass protection (no sacks against McNeese), and can also run the ball effectively.

I would have thought that we wouldn't have been at a disadvantage against JMU because they like to run the spread option alot too. But we were out coached and out played on defense for much of the afternoon. That being said, EWU's version of the spread offense will present in and of itself a whole other level of defense matchup problems. Hopefully the D will rise up again when it counts. Should be another good offensive game.

ASU88
November 25th, 2007, 08:16 PM
After watching our defense against JMU (and much of the year) I'm not convinced we should be favored at all in this game.

HaveFunKc
November 25th, 2007, 08:55 PM
We're down to the last 8... No one will be taken lightly at this point. It wouldn't matter if your QB is a true freshman and your receivers had never caught over 1,000 yards before this year. You made this far - you could win it all. xnodx Here's to a great game!! xhurrayx

This is the playoffs! To be the best, you have to beat the best! xthumbsupx

Welcome to The Rock EWU!!!

mistersykes
November 25th, 2007, 09:06 PM
After watching our defense against JMU (and much of the year) I'm not convinced we should be favored at all in this game.

Agreed!:) However, the Mountaineers will probably be favored just because we have continued to win, no matter how ugly or improbable. After JMU, App will surely be prepared and ready for anything. Plus, EWU has proven that they're a force to be reckoned with.

For any Eagle fans making the trip to Boone, I hope your journey is safe and your experience at The Rock is a great one!

MSU_77
November 25th, 2007, 09:30 PM

2) Defense - Great up front with speedy and athletic ends. The D has shown improvement throughout the season, but has really turned it up of late, taking away NAU's rushing attack, shutting down a potent Weber St. offense that had been scoring in the 50's, and holding McNeese, a team who averages 37 ppg to one offensive touchdown. The Eagles are not a lock down D, but create turnovers, and, with their d-line play, can make teams one dimensional

3) Experience. It may surprise some of you to hear that this is not Eastern's first dance. This is the 3rd trip to the playoffs in 4 years, and the seniors and coaching staff on this team have now won road games against a #1 (SIU in '04) and #2 seed (yesterday). They have played road games @ Air Force, West Virginia, Oregon State, and BYU. They had UNI down 10 in the dome late in 2005, and have beat Montana @ Washington Grizzly Stadium (2005).

Kid Brewer sounds like an awesome place to play, but EWU may be better equiped and less star struck than some teams in regards to playing in hostile environments and under pressure.

How in the hell did you guys manage to lose to Portland State when McNeese smoked them? I'm still shaking my head over that.

Anyway, you guys have an awesome team. Best of luck to both EWU and App State.

chanharrison
November 25th, 2007, 10:00 PM
I am an Appalachian fan.. and i have to say EWU is scary scary good.... It would not surprise me to see EWU take us to the woodshed because we are not playing the kind of defense we are capable of... I expect the game will be a shootout.. and I feel that EWU will win.. sigh.. i hope not but i have that feeling.. this is a team on the rise... Go Apps

KiddBrewer
November 25th, 2007, 10:34 PM
I am an Appalachian fan.. and i have to say EWU is scary scary good.... It would not surprise me to see EWU take us to the woodshed because we are not playing the kind of defense we are capable of... I expect the game will be a shootout.. and I feel that EWU will win.. sigh.. i hope not but i have that feeling.. this is a team on the rise... Go Apps

dang son, dont be spreadin your feeling around....they are good and i know it, and i dont wanna catch that feeling too. im countin on a few things in my mind that give us an edge, hopefully.

1) CROWD
2) atleast they pass first then run
3) crowd
4) jet lag
5) armanti
6) our linebackers are gonna have one heck of a game
7) jerry moore
8) scott satterfield (offensive coordinator)
9) crowd ......lets get out there and be as loud as last week!

Peems
November 25th, 2007, 10:49 PM
How in the hell did you guys manage to lose to Portland State when McNeese smoked them? I'm still shaking my head over that.

Anyway, you guys have an awesome team. Best of luck to both EWU and App State.

Both of those games were early on. PSU got better and so did EWU.

Also to the App fans: EWU uses the pass as the run in some respects. They always seem to drag a WR across the middle who Nicholls hits when the blitz comes. It also seems that their running game is definitely stepping it up as of late with Dale Morris.

BigApp
November 25th, 2007, 11:13 PM

I don't get it kalm. Last week you were smackin' about how weak Appalachian and the Southern conference were, and how much tougher the Big Sky was. Now this mea culpa.

What gives? xeyebrowx

thmst30
November 25th, 2007, 11:23 PM
EWU has more than a chance. App hasn't played well in 5 games this year, and looked defensively disgusting against JMU. We just simply haven't been the same team we were last year. Good luck, but not really.xsmiley_wix

boonedocks
November 25th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Also to the App fans: EWU uses the pass as the run in some respects. They always seem to drag a WR across the middle who Nicholls hits when the blitz comes.

It seems to me that App doesn't blitz (they are at most few and far between), so that may not be as effective.

Peems
November 25th, 2007, 11:35 PM
It seems to me that App doesn't blitz (they are at most few and far between), so that may not be as effective.

Does App create enough of a pass rush with their line to cause disruption, because you do not want to give him time.

Appstate29
November 25th, 2007, 11:43 PM
Does App create enough of a pass rush with their line to cause disruption, because you do not want to give him time.

no, we just don't blitz for some reason. It is because our d-line for the past two years was nasty and always got penetration just rushing 4

boonedocks
November 26th, 2007, 12:31 AM
Exactly, Last few seasons rushing four we were able to generate a great pass rush. This year I thought we mixed in some blitzes effectively at Michigan. Since then (much to my dismay) I haven't seen any effort to blitz opponents.

I know many times when facing the spread, a good running team etc. the blitz can cause more problems for the D than the offense. However, there have been many times that I wanted to see a blitz and it never came.

Appaholic
November 26th, 2007, 07:18 AM

I agree......and certainly not HEAVILY favored........

EdubAlum
November 26th, 2007, 07:56 AM
dang son, dont be spreadin your feeling around....they are good and i know it, and i dont wanna catch that feeling too. im countin on a few things in my mind that give us an edge, hopefully.

1) CROWD
2) atleast they pass first then run
3) crowd
4) jet lag
5) armanti
6) our linebackers are gonna have one heck of a game
7) jerry moore
8) scott satterfield (offensive coordinator)
9) crowd ......lets get out there and be as loud as last week!

except that me and at least one other EWU fan will be attending....making it KBS - 2 ASU fans. I'd like to think that should swing the favor our way:D

kalm
November 26th, 2007, 07:56 AM
I don't get it kalm. Last week you were smackin' about how weak Appalachian and the Southern conference were, and how much tougher the Big Sky was. Now this mea culpa.

What gives? xeyebrowx

Good one.xthumbsupx

asu7
November 26th, 2007, 09:10 AM
We can sit here and talk about how this one is better and how that one is better and how we can beat you here and how we can get ya there ...

Basically everyone wants us to lose and rightfully so ... we have won the past 2 championships ... I used to hate it when the cowboys would win all the time and now the patriots ...

However this game is played in KBS and the only team to beat us there was an option team who wanted payback for us getting one in the boro ...

I do not care who is bigger who is faster and who is better on paper ... paper can be thrown away, burnt, and torn to shreads ...

We are at home at there is magic this time of year ... especially at THE ROCK ...

This game will be tough but I believe my lowly APPS 2 time defending champs will prevail

To some of you we shouldnt even go on the field ...

Bring me your best sheet of paper anyday ... I will take my APPS

Mountaineer#96
November 26th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Ok I'm gonna bring football back to the thread here.

Our defense seems to show up only when they have to. They also give up rushing yards like they are going out of style. The front 6 are very young and have not played many games together as a complete unit. I say 6 because #31 Pierre Banks plays his heart out and makes plays every game. As ASU fans we have not seen something like this in years (2004 rings a bell)so this has become very frustrating to watch. I honestly think that if our offense does not score more than 40 on EWU we will lose, and that goes for the rest of the games should we advance.

The two biggest matchups on Saturday will be the ASU front 7 vs. EWU O-line, and Special teams vs. Special teams.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 26th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Fearless Prediction: Best game of the second round.