PDA

View Full Version : Wofford blog regarding Griz fans

DuckDuckGriz
November 25th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Sorry if this was posted.

Griz fans are classy bunch
Posted November 25th 2007 10:50 AM by GoUpstate
Categories: Montana

Wofford senior running back Kevious Johnson was the last player to leave the field Saturday and I was about 25 yards behind, following him through the tunnel toward the locker room.

Montana fans, meanwhile, were filing out of Washington-Grizzly Stadium after their heartbreaking 23-22 defeat to the Terriers. One set of stairs is right next to the visiting players’ walkway. I saw people yelling and pointing at Kevious, so I hurried to catch up to hear what they were saying.

It was things like this:

“You’re awesome, man.”

“Congratulations.”
“You guys have a great team.”

“Take it all the way.”

Montana fans are the best. They prove that you can support your team with incredible enthusiasm and make things difficult for the opponents during the game, yet do it with pure class and make the visitors feel welcome the whole time.

The whole town of Missoula was like that this week. And the Terriers fans message board blew up with so many posts from Montana fans, but nobody was ugly. They didn’t curse or try to intimidate during the game. They weren’t sloppy drunk. They showed mutual respect. And when they lost, they simply applauded the other team and went home. You certainly can't say that for every team in the Southern Conference, that's for sure.

“They are the loudest, but classiest fans I’ve ever seen in my life,” Wofford coach Mike Ayers said.

Keep in mind, too, that the fans on the first rows are within spitting distance of the players and coaches. That, of course, would never enter their minds.

“They are right there. They can touch you. They’re that close,” Ayers said. “They’re rooting hard for their team and they’re giving you stuff like, ‘Hey, coach, you guys can’t complete a pass. Are you ever going to throw again?’ Believe me, I heard them. I heard them too much. But at the end, every one of them told us, ‘Good job. Hope you win it all.’ Awesome people. Just awesome people.”

Peems
November 25th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Makes me feel a little better(not much though:o)

RadMann
November 25th, 2007, 12:39 PM
I've always found the Montana fans to be some of the best overall. They really seem to appreciate good football.

cats2506
November 25th, 2007, 12:39 PM
WOW, DDG bragging about what good losers the griz are.
I was just over on egriz reading about the fan that was booing Carpenter after the game. I think you have the whole spectrum of fans in missoula just like everywhere else.

RadMann
November 25th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Have you ever been to games at Marshall? No, all programs' fans are not the same... lol

DuckDuckGriz
November 25th, 2007, 12:43 PM
I also hear alot of nasty things about Hawaii and Texas Tech these days.

Bronco
November 25th, 2007, 12:52 PM
I was just over on egriz reading about the fan that was booing Carpenter after the game. I think you have the whole spectrum of fans in missoula just like everywhere else.

Leave it to the cat fan to understand bad fan behavior. You guys have it down to a science.

I was there at the Tunnel clapping when the Griz were leaving the field and I have no idea what that Griz fan was posting ...I didn't see or hear any booing. Carpenter was upset and all I heard was encouraging words.

Grizaholic17
November 25th, 2007, 12:55 PM

Griz fans get down on their team...but I never heard any booing to Dan Carpenter (maybe b/c you said it was a FAN, not fans). The fans gave the griz team a round of applause afterward. It was amazing. I heard Wofford fans when I was going in Wa/Griz say "Win or lose, these people are the nicest people I've ever met".

cats2506
November 25th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Then, the end of the game. We're standing there, being in section 108 we're right above the tunnell. Here comes Dan Carpenter and a lot of us start clapping and cheering. Dan's face is red, he's really broken down and crying. With him is Lorin Utterback, Lex, Cody Balogh and few other guys. And then I hear it. "BOOOOOOOOOO!!" This SOB booed our players walking off the field.

http://www.egriz.com/GrizBoard/topic28800.php

I didnt write it I just said I had seen it.

All I am saying is that for those of us that live among the griz we know that they are not ALL classy fans. They have good and bad just like the rest of us. If you have to use that as an excuse to attack me as a cat fan then it pretty well proves why I am saying that.

DuckDuckGriz
November 25th, 2007, 01:05 PM
http://www.egriz.com/GrizBoard/topic28800.php

I didnt write it I just said I had seen it.

All I am saying is that for those of us that live among the griz we know that they are not ALL classy fans. They have good and bad just like the rest of us. If you have to use that as an excuse to attack me as a cat fan then it pretty well proves why I am saying that.

Funny how you look over the 99.9% of them clapping and cheering. We get it. You don't like the Griz. Post a new thread in the smack board.

93BlueHen
November 25th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Have you ever been to games at Marshall? No, all programs' fans are not the same... lol

Yep, it's amazing how loud people are that have no teeth.

Herdman
November 25th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Have you ever been to games at Marshall? No, all programs' fans are not the same... lolWhat are you insinuating?

Sir William
November 25th, 2007, 08:59 PM
I've stated this before, but will reiterate it again: Montana fans are trluy great ones. When Furman played the Griz for the title back in 2001, the Griz fans I encountered were not only cordial before the game, but classy afterwards as well. That's one reason I normally pull for the Griz (except of course on Saturday when I had to support the Terriers).

Griz fans are the best. Congrats on a great season and best of luck to you next year.

Cincy App
November 25th, 2007, 09:13 PM
My oldest son and I attended ASU's semifinal game at Montana in 2000. We had a great time other than the OT session! Griz fans were the friendliest we have encountered anywhere. Montana is probably my favorite FCS team outside of the SoCon.

Griz40
November 25th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Wofford was the classiest southern team that has been in Wa/Griz.

D1B
November 25th, 2007, 09:35 PM
I'll pile on a bit. Griz fans are some of the best, hands down. Classy, fun, and nice folk.xnodx

slostang
November 25th, 2007, 09:45 PM
I have been to Missoula three times to watch the Mustangs and have had nothing but a great time. If you are wearing your teams gear you have a hard time buying yourself a beer in a bar because there are usually two in front of you bought by Griz fans. They are always numerous invitations to tailgates and they are always generous.

When Cal Poly beat them in the playoffs in 2005 all I encounter was Griz fans saying wishing us luck and saying what a great team we had. I will go back for sure the next time the Mustangs travel to Missoula. They have one of the greatest game day atmospheres in the FCS and I would not miss it.

Congrats on the fine season.

GrizFamily
November 25th, 2007, 09:48 PM
I've stated this before, but will reiterate it again: Montana fans are trluy great ones. When Furman played the Griz for the title back in 2001, the Griz fans I encountered were not only cordial before the game, but classy afterwards as well. That's one reason I normally pull for the Griz (except of course on Saturday when I had to support the Terriers).

Griz fans are the best. Congrats on a great season and best of luck to you next year.

Right back at you Sir William and the FU fans. I was there for that game and on the field after the game. I shook Lious Ivory's (sp, it's been a while) hand after the game and he was very gracious as were all of your players and fans. That was a great game and great season for both teams.

I was also at the game on Saturday, and I hated to lose that game, but it didn't sting like some previous losses. That Wofford team was a very good football team. All you promised that we had not seen a team execute as well as Wofford, and you were correct. Their play was crisp, clean and focused. Some teams have come in a totally lost their composure, but not Wofford. Even when they made mistakes they focused and played through it. One of the main differences in the game was the fact that you did not let us capitalize on your mistakes. And that offense. Even in the seats I had a hard time following the rock. And the fans that made the trip were very supportive of their team. It was truly a tragedy that either team had to lose. I liked our chances at the end, but it wasn't to be. But we got beat by a very good team. Congrats and good luck to you in the playoffs.

terrierbob
November 25th, 2007, 09:58 PM
I sense a Christmas spirit. I'm glad to be a fan of the kind of football played in the FCS. Great fans, great teams, great schools. We have a lot to be thankful for.

mistersykes
November 25th, 2007, 10:04 PM
I'm jealous. You've got a lot to be proud of, Montana.xthumbsupx

unicat87
November 25th, 2007, 10:10 PM
I sense a Christmas spirit. I'm glad to be a fan of the kind of football played in the FCS. Great fans, great teams, great schools. We have a lot to be thankful for.

Isn't that the truth?! We sure do have a lot for which to be thankful! :) -unicat87

KiddBrewer
November 25th, 2007, 10:27 PM
as an appalachian student and fan who knows how our crowd can be.....xsmhx

ill stay out of this one, and just applaude Montana. Incredible article, and every fan and every team, my team included, can take a page out of yalls sportsmanship display handbook. GREAT JOBxthumbsupx xbowx

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 25th, 2007, 10:38 PM
I agree with what he is saying about Griz fans, but why did he have to make the comment about the SoCon at the end of the post? That makes me think that he is just trying to spite GSU. I'm so tired of people writing off GSU's entire fan base as being classless just because GSU stupidly decided to have the student section placed behind the opposing team's sideline and next to the visiting team's seating section. Most any relatively large public school would get a bad rap if that were the case at their school.

Anyways, I'm getting off of the subject of the thread.

Squealofthepig
November 25th, 2007, 10:41 PM

Amen. I'm also thankful for the playoffs giving us matchups like this - Montana/Wofford wouldn't happen in the regular season and (even though, from my perspective, the wrong team won!) such contrasting styles are what make FCS football so special.

I actually graduated from an FBS school (Missouri, of all places) but have been a Montana fan since a friend dragged me to Missoula to show me that my previous I-AA experience (SMSU, now Missouri State) was not what this type of football could be about. And it was entirely the fans that made me a Griz fan - the fact that the Griz win a heckuva lot of games helped, of course.

RazorEdge19
November 25th, 2007, 10:57 PM
Wofford was the classiest southern team that has been in Wa/Griz.

While we do our best, Montana has solidified itself, forever, as having the classiest fans in college football. I will always root for Montana, even if they play Wofford again (just then I'll want another game like Saturday) because of the true class act they are.

thmst30
November 25th, 2007, 11:12 PM
The thing about App. St. fans is that we too are extremely nice and classy, IF you don't count the students. Sure some adults are asses and cause problems, but the majority of the older and mature fans are very nice and well behaved. Its all our prick students who think they can beat their chest and talk **** to all opposing crowds because of our recent success. They don't care about the history of FCS and all the other MORE storied programs out there that deserve much respect. However I do agree that as a whole fan base Montana has incredible fans, as do most of the FCS schools. FCS and all divisions below easily have the best fans in college football.

thmst30
November 25th, 2007, 11:19 PM
I agree with what he is saying about Griz fans, but why did he have to make the comment about the SoCon at the end of the post? That makes me think that he is just trying to spite GSU. I'm so tired of people writing off GSU's entire fan base as being classless just because GSU stupidly decided to have the student section placed behind the opposing team's sideline and next to the visiting team's seating section. Most any relatively large public school would get a bad rap if that were the case at their school.

So true, App would have a horrendous rep if we did that because of how some students act.

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
November 26th, 2007, 12:27 AM

This coming from someone who represents a base of fans that chant

"Eat ***** Grizzlies, Go Cats GO"

Ugh I had to listen to it at the sattelite party...so unsportsmanlike

CrazyCat
November 26th, 2007, 10:39 AM

Most Griz fans are classy, when they are playing any other team than the Bobcats.

citdog
November 26th, 2007, 10:55 AM

the only gsu fan with any class is bobbythekid.

Mountaineer#96
November 26th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Most Griz fans are classy, when they are playing any other team than the Bobcats.

That is why we call games like that rivalries.

Walkon79
November 26th, 2007, 12:02 PM

I wasn't at Cat/Griz this year, but by all accounts on BobcatNation, I think the rivalry has matured in the past few years. I think this year's game was generally a positive experience for most of the visiting Griz fans. i hope it's the same next year at WaGriz. The attitude starts with the head coaches, and I think there was mutual respect between Kramer and Hauck, and now between Hauck and Ash.

Also I think the thug factor on both teams is WAY down from previous years. (Just need to get rid of Eric Allen). By the way, I also hate that chant. It's giving our school song a bad name. I can understand the student section but I wish the grown-ups would just stop!! I can't believe this has permeated to satellite parties as well.

Good season, Griz. See you next November!!

EIUsuperfan
November 27th, 2007, 02:00 PM
I also hear alot of nasty things about Hawaii and Texas Tech these days.

Two seasons ago EIU played Hawaii. I was fortunate enough to be able to attend the game and I was on the sideline. I will agree that their fans in the stands were very rude and I even had a close call with a beverage being spilled on me. But, when we arrived at Aloha Stadium some of the fans that were tailgating welcomed us and said, "It's good to have you here, how has your trip been?", and wished the team good luck. So I will agree that Hawaii fans are nasty but whether a group of fans are inherently nasty or nice, there are always exceptions both ways.

Appaholic
November 27th, 2007, 02:12 PM
The thing about App. St. fans is that we too are extremely nice and classy, IF you don't count the students. Sure some adults are asses and cause problems, but the majority of the older and mature fans are very nice and well behaved. Its all our prick students who think they can beat their chest and talk **** to all opposing crowds because of our recent success. They don't care about the history of FCS and all the other MORE storied programs out there that deserve much respect. However I do agree that as a whole fan base Montana has incredible fans, as do most of the FCS schools. FCS and all divisions below easily have the best fans in college football.

I agree....the current students do not know anything BUT success and most are bandwagon fans anyway.....let us go through a losing stretch and see if they continue to fill the stands. Us older alumni have become quite familiar with the sting of losing and potential unrealized. These students were swinging from their mother's teet or were no more than a glint in their daddy's eye when App fans were proud of going .500 under Mack Brown in '84. The older fans respect the traditional powers and appreciate te current success as they have lived through the other....the students just think success happens because it's App State....xcoffeex

ChickenMan
November 27th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Griz fans SUCK.. all they did when my wife and I were in Missoula was provide game tickets, alcohol, food, transportation, great tailgating, fun bar hopping and tours of the UM campus. We have never been treated so poorly in all our lives... so badly that we still keep in touch with some of the Griz fans we met out there... :D

Appaholic
November 27th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Griz fans SUCK.. all they did when my wife and I were in Missoula was provide game tickets, alcohol, food, transportation, great tailgating, fun bar hopping and tours of the UM campus. We have never been treated so poorly in all our lives... so badly that we still keep in touch with some of the Griz fans we met out there... :D

Have to agree.......the only time I've been to Missoula, I wore my App St Natl Championship shirt and didn't get beat up.....that's worth something...xthumbsupx

GreatAppSt
November 27th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Griz fans, Wofford fans:o ---------> get at room!:D

asu7
November 27th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Griz fans, Wofford fans:o ---------> get at room!:D

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

I have to say all schools have their idiots ... I wish ours would get a little better ...

I am 25 will be 26 in Jan. love my APPS and will cheer loudly for them but I will only fuss at the refs just when needed ;)

But in the most part it is safe to come to KBS as long as you do not go around the student tailgates ... and it isnt all students just a few who like to ruin the rep of the rest

I sit on the EAST side of the stadium next to the visitors at THE ROCK and I have a blast!!!

NZNCRZY
November 27th, 2007, 04:35 PM
This is an article written by a Huntsville Item sports writer after our game with SHSU in 2003. Sorry I couldn't find the link so I just pasted the entire article. I really liked the article so I have keep all these years.

Griz Fans showed how it should be done

By Jason Bartfield/Assistant Sports Editor

Incredible. Truly incredible. Those are the only words that come to mind when thinking about the crowd at Washington-Grizzly Stadium on Saturday.

Everyone has always said that Montana has the best crowd in Division I-AA. Well I’m willing to go one better-Montana has the best crowd in all of college football.

Not only were there more than 23,000 people packed into the stadium, but the fans were loud- real loud. They were also very knowledgeable. When the Grizzlies were on offense, the stadium was silent. Everyone on the sideline could hear the quarterback audible a play.

When the Bearkats were on offense it was totally different. Every single person in the stadium was on their feet making as much noise as possible. It is hard to describe how loud the crowd actually was. Try to imagine standing inside an airplane engine- it was louder.

Texas A&M fans pride themselves on how loud they are during a game, calling themselves the 12th man. Well if Kyle Field is the home of the 12th man, then Washington-Grizzly Stadium is home of the 12th 14th and 15th men.

From the moment the official signals the start of the play clock, the noise is deafening. All day long, the SHSU offense was forced to go on a silent count. Three times in the first half, the Bearkats were called for a false start and once, they were given a delay-of-game penalty.

After the game, SHSU quarterback Travis Tobaben said the crowd was giving the offense fits all day.

The game day atmosphere is incredible as well. Beginning on Friday night, fans started arriving at the stadium, and early Saturday morning they are already tailgating.

Some of the parties are private, but many were open to the public. Everyone was very hospitable, and I was able to eat just about anything I wanted. Even if I didn’t feel like eating, it didn’t matter. They all made sure I tried something. It was like that at nearly tailgate party

Another nice thing about the fans is they are all positive. They wished the SHSU players good luck before the game and afterwards were there to tell them good game. Even during the contest, there was never a negative word spoken to the SHSY players

It was very refreshing atmosphere after years of making road trips in the Southerland Conference. Some of our neighbors to the esas could certainly take note of how to behave at a football game.

The trip to Missoula was by far the best trip I have taken in nine years following SHSU football, and I hope it is not the last.

The Montana Grizzlies are the class of the Big Sky Conference and year in and year out contend for the national title. If the Kats are going to win it all, they will probable have to go through Missoula to do it.

Next season Montana will visit Huntsville, and I hope the SHSU fans can show just as much hospitality and courtesy as the 23,000 Griz fans showed us. Hopefully, the Montana offense will also have as much problem with the noise as the BearKats did.

DuckDuckGriz
November 27th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Let it be known that at Wash-Griz no one curses if an elderly woman is within 25 yards. Everything including the chairs and cups are recycleable. Everyone is complimented on their shoes and/or pants upon entrance. And if you're interested, we have Red Cross blood donor stations in the northeast corner and southendzone of the stadium. If you are from Montana State, please avoid these stations as we do not want to take any risks.

PDXCat
November 27th, 2007, 05:54 PM
I have to say the cat griz thing has calmed down a bit since we've shown we can win once in a while (3-3 last 6 years). It was truley acrimonious for a while, but it was a 16 year dry spell, we couldn't forget that and most griz fans made sure we didn't. However, times have changed. In fact, the last time we played at wg there was a cute drunk griz girl who gave me a hug while standing in line to get tickets. If that happened to everyone on the way in, I think the griz fan reputation would spread even faster. How about next time, a hug (gotta be a cute girl though) and a beer on the way in?

mtgrizfan4life
November 29th, 2007, 03:28 PM
GRIZ fans this letter to our athletic office is every reason to be proud to be part of GRIZNATION. GRIZNATION certainly extends well beyond on the field results. I pray and hope this part of GRIZ football never changes. This is something to be so proud of as a fan, player, coach, student or faculty member. Also, as much as the loss to Wofford will aways hurt, I have to say honestly theWofford team and fans, have made huge impression on me. How can I not be pulling for Wofford after this letter?

Sirs,

I am writing to express my sincere compliments to you Dr. Dennison, your athletic director, Mr. O’Day, and your fine football coach, Bobby Hauck. I had the extreme privilege of attending the Montana – Wofford game last Saturday. My wife and I have traveled coast to coast and border to border during my career experiencing college athletics at every level and in many venues. Last week found us making the trek to your campus to watch our son, Ben, one of Wofford’s linemen. From our first contact the previous Sunday night with your ticket office, we found the University of Montana to be one of the most professional, exciting, accommodating, friendly places we have ever visited. Be assured that many of our fellow parents and members of the Wofford community feel the same way. I have already met with my staff to communicate how impressed I was with your operation and that we need to work diligently to insure that visitors to our campus leave with a comparable impression. You were ranked #2 in the nation going into last weeks game, you have a storied history on the gridiron, you are truly a championship institution, but the thing that sets you apart from others is that you do it with class. I know that your entire institution must be very disappointed by the games outcome, but know that as a parent, as a coach, and as an administrator I proud that my son had the opportunity to have his life influenced by the example of your university. Best wishes for much continued success!

Respectfully,
Greg Quick
-------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------
Greg Quick
Concord University
Athletic Director/Head Football Coach

WallyTerrier
November 29th, 2007, 03:51 PM
First time I have posted in awhile. First a hearty congrats to Wofford for winning at one of the if not the toughtest venue in football, bar none.

I have always heard how classy the grizzly fans were by others. After speaking to some friends last evening who attended the game and reading the comments here, I think all of us could learn something.

Overall, I think WoCo fans are quite classy too, excluding some of the students of course. Hopefully, we can be as gracious in losing as well as in winning.

Go T-Dawgs! Beat the Spiders

ursus arctos horribilis
November 29th, 2007, 04:06 PM
GRIZ fans this letter to our athletic office is every reason to be proud to be part of GRIZNATION. GRIZNATION certainly extends well beyond on the field results. I pray and hope this part of GRIZ football never changes. This is something to be so proud of as a fan, player, coach, student or faculty member. Also, as much as the loss to Wofford will aways hurt, I have to say honestly theWofford team and fans, have made huge impression on me. How can I not be pulling for Wofford after this letter?

Sirs,

I am writing to express my sincere compliments to you Dr. Dennison, your athletic director, Mr. O’Day, and your fine football coach, Bobby Hauck. I had the extreme privilege of attending the Montana – Wofford game last Saturday. My wife and I have traveled coast to coast and border to border during my career experiencing college athletics at every level and in many venues. Last week found us making the trek to your campus to watch our son, Ben, one of Wofford’s linemen. From our first contact the previous Sunday night with your ticket office, we found the University of Montana to be one of the most professional, exciting, accommodating, friendly places we have ever visited. Be assured that many of our fellow parents and members of the Wofford community feel the same way. I have already met with my staff to communicate how impressed I was with your operation and that we need to work diligently to insure that visitors to our campus leave with a comparable impression. You were ranked #2 in the nation going into last weeks game, you have a storied history on the gridiron, you are truly a championship institution, but the thing that sets you apart from others is that you do it with class. I know that your entire institution must be very disappointed by the games outcome, but know that as a parent, as a coach, and as an administrator I proud that my son had the opportunity to have his life influenced by the example of your university. Best wishes for much continued success!

Respectfully,
Greg Quick
-------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------
Greg Quick
Concord University
Athletic Director/Head Football Coach

Any Montana fans who would like to send him an email to thank him:
[email protected]

mtgrizfan4life
November 29th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Just sent him an email to thank him and all of Wofford for their class. I did so proudly, and hope this is not the 1st or last to be sent to future opponents. Wofford fans and team should be proud of their class too!!! Thank you all associated with Wofford, now go win the NC! Good luck Wofford! EWU/Wofford, who in the hell would I pull for if they were to play? I would thoroughly enjoy the game regardless of outcome.