PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Officials

nmatsen
November 25th, 2007, 08:44 AM
I am glad that UNI beat UNH last night because had they not I wouldn't have been able to come on here and make this claim as people would have thought I was making excuses.

BIG SKY OFFICIALS ARE THE WORST OFFICIALS IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD AND ALMOST GAVE THE FOOTBALL GAME TO UNH!!!!!!!!!!

A UNI player gets PUSHED out of bounds right in front of an official and makes a touchdown catch. They call illegal touching????? WTF?? He was pushed out clearly and made every effort to get right back in immediately. If you don't give him the TD you at least have to throw the pass interference flag.

Next play...A field goal attempt. (first off I feel I need to let everyone know that I am standing on top of the UNI Locker room RIGHT BEHIND THE UPRIGHTS!!!!!!) The ball goes through the left upright by 5 FEET!!!, the official under the upright that should have made the call looks at the official under the right upright and says "well"? and then the official farthest away from the ball waves it off. This was not even close and now has me thinking that this official is corrupt. NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!!!!!!! This ball was clearly good and we got screwed!!!!

Every time UNH ran there stretch play effectively the tackles pulled the D Ends to the ground and the strong side guard would take the 3 tech tackle high while the pussy @$$ cheap shot center for UNH would take him at the knees. Not once did UNH have a flag thrown on offense. Odd, isn't it?

The play that should have cost UNI the game. A UNI player laying on his freaking back, 15 yards from me, rolls over, stretches the ball out and the official CALLS A FUMBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW!!!!!!!!

These officials had no business reffing a high school game, let alone a division one championship game. No wonder Montana was 11-0, and when the big sky officials were gone they lost right away. I bet Montana was heavily penalized yesterday with other officials, I would love to see.

Thanks for listening to me rant, I am sure that UNH has complaints too, I would love to here them. I don't think that UNH had an unfair officiating advantage, like I said these refs were just that bad.

grizchamp
November 25th, 2007, 09:45 AM
I am glad that UNI beat UNH last night because had they not I wouldn't have been able to come on here and make this claim as people would have thought I was making excuses.

BIG SKY OFFICIALS ARE THE WORST OFFICIALS IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD AND ALMOST GAVE THE FOOTBALL GAME TO UNH!!!!!!!!!!

These officials had no business reffing a high school game, let alone a division one championship game. No wonder Montana was 11-0, and when the big sky officials were gone they lost right away. I bet Montana was heavily penalized yesterday with other officials, I would love to see.

You are voicing the same opinion that ALL big sky fans, not just montana fans have been throwing out there. Big Sky officials are terrible. Montana fans are the most prevalent from the big sky here so its not a surprise that manyt people just think they are whining, but Montana fans ( myself being one of them) are many things some of them good some of the terrible, but they are for the most part just as smart as other true fans here. They know the rules too and they know that Big Sky officials have no business on the field.

As for your comment about betting the griz were penalized heavily. 4 times for 40 yards. really not too significant. and Im glad casue that gives people one less excuse to use as to why the Griz had it handed too them. yes I know it was a one point loss, but the griz were pretty lucky to have the defense they did. Next year could get interesting. Good luck to the rest of the teams. I think most games from here on out are on some form of national television so lets put on a good show for the rest of the country!

DaGriz
November 25th, 2007, 09:49 AM
First of all, tell us something we don't know. Second, they're Big Sky officials jackarse, not Montana officials. They suck, that doesn't mean they care who wins a Big Sky game.
I thought who ever officiated our game yesterday sucked too, and that was in our favor. Wofford had their 2-point conversion called no good and to me it clearly looked good. We also had a TD called by our running back that didn't look like it got near the goal line and it was called a TD.

Cleets
November 25th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Well I've seen the Socon Officials up close and let me tell you... They are as bad as I've ever seen...

You know Ed Hockuli is a former Big Sky official...

http://moogie.info/football/nfl/ref/085Hochuli98.jpg

grizchamp
November 25th, 2007, 09:59 AM
First of all, tell us something we don't know. Second, they're Big Sky officials jackarse, not Montana officials. They suck, that doesn't mean they care who wins a Big Sky game.
I thought who ever officiated our game yesterday sucked too, and that was in our favor. Wofford had their 2-point conversion called no good and to me it clearly looked good. We also had a TD called by our running back that didn't look like it got near the goal line and it was called a TD.

No Way the 2 Point conversion was good, didnt have the foot down in bounds and wasnt pushed out. I watched the reply like 5 times.

Our touchdown... hard to say, RB knocked over the pylon and had the ball out in front of him so the ball certainly crossed the plain. You couldnt tell where he went out of bounds though on the replay.

These guys were a million times better than what we normally end up with.

biobengal
November 25th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Well I've seen the Socon Officials up close and let me tell you... They are as bad as I've ever seen...

One of the best in the biz.

UMTbuds
November 25th, 2007, 10:05 AM

I was glad to see an outsiders perspective agreeing with everybody else who watches the games in the Big Sky.

No wonder Montana was 11-0

I don't think that UNH had an unfair officiating advantage, like I said these refs were just that bad.

However, you claim that UMT went undefeated because the officials are biased towards the Griz, then in the next paragraph state that you didn't think UNH had an advantage over your UNI. What's your basis for your former argument...

I bet Montana was heavily penalized yesterday with other officials, I would love to see.

Well, then why don't you have a look...

Penalties-Yards...Wofford...3-15...UMT...4-40

http://http://missoulian.com/articles/2007/11/25/sports/sports01.txt

If I could find a link for season stats I would've posted, but I think the Griz were averaging around 10 penalties per game. Could be a little off, but that was close.

So, thanks for trying to diminish UMT's great season by blaming the refs. Have a great Sunday.

EdubAlum
November 25th, 2007, 10:07 AM
i love how no one from the big sky will argue in favor of our refs:)

WVAPPmountaineer
November 25th, 2007, 10:11 AM
After seeing an entire season of poor SoCon officiating I thought yesterday's game in Boone was well officiated (OVC, I believe) - other than the Ref not knowing how to pronounce App - ah - LATCH - un -

cats2506
November 25th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Go over to Bobcatnation and you will see that we have been saying this all year, I seems like every year they get worse. We had numerous call in games this year that were unbelivable. NAU got a pass interception in the EZ by catching a ball that bounced off the ground right in front af an official. Holding seems to be called on a selective basis. The examples are unending. Also at times the seem to have long conferences before deciding the call, it sometimes appears like they dont know what the rules are. The griz did get their share of bad calls against them too. These officials are not corrupt but the are completly incompetent. I hope that you coach lodges protests so that maybe the big sky will not ingore the problem further.

In the big sky a coach is not allowed to comment on the officals, he faces suspension for a game if he does and it gets in the media, the suspensions have happened. Do any other conferences have these type of rules to protect their incompetent refs.

griz8791
November 25th, 2007, 10:16 AM
I can't provide actual stats, but 4 for 40 yesterday struck me as well below whatever our season average has been. And yes, Big Sky refs do suck. My condolences to whoever draws them next week.

biobengal
November 25th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Come on, if they weren't bad how would you justify the losses?

WVAPPmountaineer
November 25th, 2007, 10:20 AM
And yes, Big Sky refs do suck. My condolences to whoever draws them next week.

If I'm not mistaken, APPs 2005 Championship game against UNI was officiated by the Big Sky and even though it was 2 years ago and I'm an old head, I can still remember how poor they were - AND we won the game, so no sour grapes ---

cats2506
November 25th, 2007, 10:23 AM
No Way the 2 Point conversion was good, didnt have the foot down in bounds and wasnt pushed out. I watched the reply like 5 times.

Our touchdown... hard to say, RB knocked over the pylon and had the ball out in front of him so the ball certainly crossed the plain. You couldnt tell where he went out of bounds though on the replay.

Yes but the guy that caught the 2 point conversion was dragging the DB, watch when you first see him in the screen, obvous PI.

I agree that your touch down is hard to say, angle is bad but it sure didnt look like it to me, the pylon fell straight into the EZ. If it was only Lex that touched it I would expect it to fall to the back of the EZ.

Reed Rothchild
November 25th, 2007, 11:40 AM
This is Division I. This is the playoffs. There is no reason the NCAA can't have replay.

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
November 25th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Yes the Big Sky officials do suck but saying the only reason we have an 11-0 season is because of the conference officials is ludicrous. You don't have to turn every issue into smack against Montana

JALMOND
November 25th, 2007, 12:41 PM
I myself have refrained from commenting on officials calls but there have numerous instances where Glanville and Davis have complained to the offices in SLC about the officials and the conference has responded. The following is just a partial listing...

1. 10/6 vs NAU---PSU lines up for a PAT attempt and the Viking coaches decide to go for two. Glanville runs onto the field next to the line judge and calls timeout. The line judge starts blowing his whistle, the ball is snapped, the NAU players and about five of the Viking players start the play. NAU blocks the kick, recovers it and runs into the end zone. Glanville is running next to the line judge, who is following the play and signals 2 points for NAU. NAU wins the game 45-44. Conference decision, the play should have been dead and PSU should have been granted a timeout.

2. 10-13 vs ISU---Viking back Sobomohein stretches out for a first down with his knee on the ground. Ball hits the turf and bounces loose. ISU recovers and starts running the other way. Officials stop and look at each other, then start running with the Bengal defender and signal touchdown. Conference decision, should have not been a fumble. PSU should have retained possession.

3. 10-20 vs WSU---Before halftime, PSU defender Jackson breaks up a pass play on third down. As he gets up, he gives the Viking bench and the crowd three signals of incomplete pass. He is flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct, WSU gets an automatic first down. Glanville, protesting the call, also gets flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct. Next play Weber scores a TD. Weber wins 73-68. Conference decision, was not excessive celebration, should not have been flagged.

4. 11-3 vs Montana---PSU sacks the Grizzly QB on third down and, while he is going down, the QB throws the ball and it hits an offensive lineman with no clear eligible receiver around. Griz are penalized five yards but no loss of down. Next play, Montana scores a TD. Griz win 37-34. Conference decision, should have been loss of down. Also, conference sends notice to both Glanville and Davis that any more complaints will result in the coaches being suspended. Davis is given notice that he is suspended for the Montana State game, a decision that was reversed before the Cat game.

5. 11-10 vs Montana State---PSU sends notice to the conference about a few pass interference calls. Conference decision, Davis is suspended for the Northern Colorado game.

I did not make a big deal about these at the time for a few reasons. Being objective means both teams have to put up with the officials. I do know the league also said our last defensive touchdown against Weber should not have been allowed either, so the officials were bad for both sides. I also recall Glanville not being too kind to officials in the NFL so I just put this down as Glanville being Glanville. Hearing others, particularly those at UNH/UNI made me post these items and what the conference decided. I think it will be interesting this winter at the coaches meetings when officiating is discussed. I would love to be a fly on the wall at those.

DuckDuckGriz
November 25th, 2007, 12:46 PM
I remember in 2004 when Montana played Idaho State and it was a really close game and the Griz had stopped ISU in the closing minutes and their punter lined up to punt it away. After he punted it he slipped under his own power - no UM player was within 5 yards of him and the flag went up for roughing the punter.

That still makes me mad xlolx

nmatsen
November 25th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Okay, maybe I was a little harsh in the Montana references. I will say this, the comment I made about how I bet Montana was heavily penalized yesterday was not smack. Just comparrison, I truly thought that if they got away with so much during conference play (which was an assumption due to how poor the Big Sky officials are). I can also say that UNI was under penalized. For crying out loud there were two flags to whole game between UNI and UNH. UNH had ZERO!!!!

Casey_Orourke
November 25th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Let me add my own observations on Big Sky Officials. When NAU was in Portland to play the Vikes, two instances stick in my mind. One was a PSU reciever going deep for a pass (Kirkland (I think)), he was tripped by a NAU player, and the reciever was called for pass interference... xconfusedx

Another was after PSU scored a TD, the team was lining up for an extra point, but Coach Glanville started running down the sideline yelling "TIME OUT." He stood beside an official yelling it and was ignored. The holder and the kicker heard him, but the snapper didn't, and he snapped the ball. The holder muffed the snap which NAU recovered and ran back to the other end for two points. xmadx I doubt this was an isolated incident either.

patssle
November 25th, 2007, 01:10 PM
The SLC had some bad officiating in previous seasons. However we have teamed up with the Big 12 conference and are sharing officials and getting training or something...and its paid off. Officials were good this year.

Purple For Life
November 25th, 2007, 01:11 PM

REALLY?!?

Perhaps he should come back and give the refs some pointers.

My BF emailed him once to say that he really enjoyed the job he did, and Ed was nice enough to write him back. He also said Larry Nemmers was a mentor to him when he started NFL reffing, which was a delight to hear.

DuckDuckGriz
November 25th, 2007, 01:11 PM
OOOOOH Griz fans will remember this one: in 2002 when we the longest win-streak in FCS history and were playing Eastern Washington. Levander Segars goes up for a pass and gets pulled to the ground 5 seconds before it gets to him. No PI. Joe Glenn just sits behind the official and points at LV's jersey which has been pulled out from over his pads, etc. I've never seen Joe Glenn so angry.

How about a BSC ref horror stories thread that seems to be where this is going.

DuckDuckGriz
November 25th, 2007, 01:12 PM
REALLY?!?

Perhaps he should come back and give the refs some pointers.

My BF emailed him once to say that he really enjoyed the job he did, and Ed was nice enough to write him back. He also said Larry Nemmers was a mentor to him when he started NFL reffing, which was a delight to hear.

Was anyone else watching Monday Night Football a few weeks ago when Jon Madden and Al Michaels were commenting on how nice Ed's upper body is.....xconfusedx xeekx

CowboyUp
November 25th, 2007, 02:14 PM
OMG folks I will have to tell you the Big Sky officials are the WORST. We had big sky officials for the Villanova game back in the 2002 semifinals and they nearly cost us the game. Everytime we've had Big Sky officials they have been HORRIBLE. Last night we had officials from the Patriot League and for the most part I think they called a pretty good game. There were a couple of calls that got by that I thought were questionable but for the most part it was a fairly called game. There were just no blantantly obviously wrong calls made with these officials like the BSC has done in the past.

already123
November 25th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Very very true...the BSC officials are horrible! However, they are very good at blowing calls. I always say that if ur gonna do something, be the best at it!xthumbsupx

Rob Iola
November 25th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Had Gateway officials at the UD-DSU game - they let the players play (notwithstanding a bunch of non-calls on clear holdings - but then you could call holding on every play).

To me MEAC officials are clearly the worst in all of I-AA, er, FCS...

Barnstormer
November 25th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Okay, maybe I was a little harsh in the Montana references. I will say this, the comment I made about how I bet Montana was heavily penalized yesterday was not smack. Just comparrison, I truly thought that if they got away with so much during conference play (which was an assumption due to how poor the Big Sky officials are). I can also say that UNI was under penalized. For crying out loud there were two flags to whole game between UNI and UNH. UNH had ZERO!!!!

They had a false start and a roughing the kicker on a FG..

EDIT: Actually, they had 5 for 31 yards.. we had 3 for 10 yards.

mvemjsunpx
November 25th, 2007, 02:52 PM

The Big Sky refs usually throw more flags than any other conference, that's why all the BSC teams generally rank low in penalties. That obviously didn't happen in Cedar Falls yesterday, however.

The Griz always commit fewer penalties in the playoffs with neutral officials than they do in the regular season with BSC officials. I'm guessing that's true of other Big Sky teams, as well.

matfu
November 25th, 2007, 06:11 PM

i watched this play on tv several times. it truly looked to me like he DID get pushed out. one man's opinion.

TCisMYhero
November 25th, 2007, 06:15 PM
Doesn't matter if he gets pushed out, that's legal in NCAA.

proasu89
November 25th, 2007, 06:19 PM

Yes, Cleets you are correct.
xlolx I was wondering, who got stuck with our crew this weekend?

ursus arctos horribilis
November 25th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Doesn't matter if he gets pushed out, that's legal in NCAA.

That's true, the guy can't be carried out of bounds but can be pushed out. That has happened to us in the past as I remember losing to Idaho in 1995 on the same play.

crunifan
November 25th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Another thing is those officials gave both teams REALLY REALLY bad spots.

In all honesty, New Hampshire got a few of those worst spots, but UNI had some bad ones too.

I can't comment on the touchdown that was called back since I could not see it and they didn't show it on replay, but the crowd got pretty upset over that. Again, that is to be expected as the crowd it biased.

But I agree, horrible horrible job by the Big Sky officials.

Purple For Life
November 25th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Was anyone else watching Monday Night Football a few weeks ago when Jon Madden and Al Michaels were commenting on how nice Ed's upper body is.....xconfusedx xeekx

That dude's effing ripped! Have you SEEN his muscles? God, he could go make some plays out there on the field.

If you google for him you'll find an article on his workout routine. It's intense.

Oh, and I call him Ed Hunkuli. ;)

T-Dog
November 25th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Yes, Cleets you are correct.
xlolx I was wondering, who got stuck with our crew this weekend?

UMass/Fordman.

I want to know what conference our officials were from. They seemed to not know what offensive holding was or how to spot a ball correctly.

Appdad
November 25th, 2007, 08:46 PM
I think ASU vs JMU's crew was from the OVC

Ronin
November 25th, 2007, 08:54 PM
The officials at the UNI game were horrible. The originally poster is correct that they shouldn't be working a HS game, let alone a college championship game.

As for Montana... I have no idea if Montana has benefited or not from the officials.

Torgo
November 25th, 2007, 09:37 PM
I'm shocked. No, really, shocked.

The reffing in high school football is far better where I'm from (granted Southwestern Pennsylvania high school football is some of the best in the country) than the garbage that is the Big Sky officials.

Phantom calls, blatant misses, terrible spots...they run the gamut.

I'm probably a bit biased, but at least as many bad calls went against the Griz as went the other way.

Tailbone
November 25th, 2007, 09:56 PM
I thought this year's officiating was evidence of a conspiracy to change the BSC from "Montana and a bunch of other guys", to a conference with artificially created parity.....
.....or a bunch of gamblers manipulating the spread.

DOME
November 25th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Agree, I was not happy about the officiating of the game.

WyomingGrizFan
November 25th, 2007, 11:33 PM
4. 11-3 vs Montana---PSU sacks the Grizzly QB on third down and, while he is going down, the QB throws the ball and it hits an offensive lineman with no clear eligible receiver around. Griz are penalized five yards but no loss of down. Next play, Montana scores a TD. Griz win 37-34. Conference decision, should have been loss of down.

I believe that occurred in the second quarter, if not mistaken. Actually, the next play after that call was a 56-yd pass completion to #3 Ryan Bagley with a late hit/block call on #5 Eric Allen. Subsequently, afterwards, at the 10:01 mark #38 Lex Hilliard scored on a 7-yd TD run.

The instance that you refer to was an odd call, none the less. Had me confused, first time I had ever seen a no-loss of down with a pass caught illegally by an offensive lineman, #71 Cody Balogh. The referees must of construed it as the same as an illegal procedure type of play. But, if memory serves me correctly, the impression I had at the time was, with the call, at least we had one more play before a punting situation; that is, with the loss of down that would ensue with the illegal pass as well. Not for certain, but I recall the near sack occurred on a second down in place of a third down. Checking the Griz-Rewind the following week as well on montanasnewsstation.com. Hauck wasn't sending in the punting crew onto the field in anticipation at the time the call was being made on the field, with the stoppage of the clock by the referees. With the perceived forthcoming penalty making it a punting situation if it was on a third down. Without the loss of down it was a second and thirteen situation (+ five yard penalty) instead of a third and eight; if not mistaken. You can correct me if I'am wrong but I'am pretty certain that's how it went.

SactoHornetFan
November 26th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Preaching to the Big Sky choir. One of the refs in our league also umpires baseball games at Sacramento State. He is atrocious on the diamond as well xmadx

Ronin
November 26th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Does anyone know who the officials will be for the Delaware / UNI game?

Barnstormer
November 26th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Does anyone know who the officials will be for the Delaware / UNI game?

Gateway refs. :)

catbob
November 26th, 2007, 05:03 PM
I'll always remebenr the game against, well crud the team eludes me, it either either Sac, PSU or Poly. Anyhoo, not once but TWICE while they were punting the playclock clearly expired, and not just by a hair. It was a good two seconds after before they snapped it. Neither time a flag was thrown, the entire stadium was in an uproar.

More recently against PSU, Green was diving in the endzone for a catch, just got a hand on the ball, but the ball clearly bounced off the turf, right back up into the hands of the PSU defender, who returns it for like 30 yards.

Then that awful no TD call @ ISU a few years back, that would have won the game in the final seconds. Clearly had a foot down, but ruled incomplete. Cost us the game.

Hell there have been a couple times in the last 5 years that the refs have made calls I have never even heard of, and have never heard of again.

They do huddle a lot and discuss the play, and still get it wrongs 95% of the time.

I'm glad someone else outside the BSC agrees that they are terrible, though I am sorry you had to see it firsthand. :(

DuckDuckGriz
November 26th, 2007, 05:26 PM
I'll always remebenr the game against, well crud the team eludes me, it either either Sac, PSU or Poly. Anyhoo, not once but TWICE while they were punting the playclock clearly expired, and not just by a hair. It was a good two seconds after before they snapped it. Neither time a flag was thrown, the entire stadium was in an uproar.

More recently against PSU, Green was diving in the endzone for a catch, just got a hand on the ball, but the ball clearly bounced off the turf, right back up into the hands of the PSU defender, who returns it for like 30 yards.

Then that awful no TD call @ ISU a few years back, that would have won the game in the final seconds. Clearly had a foot down, but ruled incomplete. Cost us the game.

Hell there have been a couple times in the last 5 years that the refs have made calls I have never even heard of, and have never heard of again.

They do huddle a lot and discuss the play, and still get it wrongs 95% of the time.

I'm glad someone else outside the BSC agrees that they are terrible, though I am sorry you had to see it firsthand. :(

Didn't MSU one time get a controversial call (I don't remember if it was for or against them) at Sac State a few years ago for roughing the punter or roughing the kicker in the final seconds that cost/won them the game?

AppIAA
November 26th, 2007, 08:34 PM
I know this is WAY off topic, but I just got back from the ASU/Davidson game and wow.. Now I am not going to say the refs lost the game for us, cause we did not play well at all, but the SoCon bball refs tonight were HORRIBLE!!!

Many no calls going against both teams, but a pinky touching the jersey was also a foul.. very inconsistent

WyomingGrizFan
November 26th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Many no calls going against both teams, but a pinky touching the jersey was also a foul.

Sounds like they had a quota system going. 20 fouls per team at games end looks good in the newspapers the next day; then no complaints, right?

cats2506
November 26th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Didn't MSU one time get a controversial call (I don't remember if it was for or against them) at Sac State a few years ago for roughing the punter or roughing the kicker in the final seconds that cost/won them the game?

I dont remember what game it was but I remember a roughing the punter call where the rusher slid on the ground and his hand touched the punters foot after he landed, the punter didnt feel it and fake fall or anything. Gave them the ball back.

Walkon79
November 26th, 2007, 11:10 PM
I myself have refrained from commenting on officials calls but there have numerous instances where Glanville and Davis have complained to the offices in SLC about the officials and the conference has responded. The following is just a partial listing...

1. 10/6 vs NAU---PSU lines up for a PAT attempt and the Viking coaches decide to go for two. Glanville runs onto the field next to the line judge and calls timeout. The line judge starts blowing his whistle, the ball is snapped, the NAU players and about five of the Viking players start the play. NAU blocks the kick, recovers it and runs into the end zone. Glanville is running next to the line judge, who is following the play and signals 2 points for NAU. NAU wins the game 45-44. Conference decision, the play should have been dead and PSU should have been granted a timeout.

2. 10-13 vs ISU---Viking back Sobomohein stretches out for a first down with his knee on the ground. Ball hits the turf and bounces loose. ISU recovers and starts running the other way. Officials stop and look at each other, then start running with the Bengal defender and signal touchdown. Conference decision, should have not been a fumble. PSU should have retained possession.

3. 10-20 vs WSU---Before halftime, PSU defender Jackson breaks up a pass play on third down. As he gets up, he gives the Viking bench and the crowd three signals of incomplete pass. He is flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct, WSU gets an automatic first down. Glanville, protesting the call, also gets flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct. Next play Weber scores a TD. Weber wins 73-68. Conference decision, was not excessive celebration, should not have been flagged.

4. 11-3 vs Montana---PSU sacks the Grizzly QB on third down and, while he is going down, the QB throws the ball and it hits an offensive lineman with no clear eligible receiver around. Griz are penalized five yards but no loss of down. Next play, Montana scores a TD. Griz win 37-34. Conference decision, should have been loss of down. Also, conference sends notice to both Glanville and Davis that any more complaints will result in the coaches being suspended. Davis is given notice that he is suspended for the Montana State game, a decision that was reversed before the Cat game.

5. 11-10 vs Montana State---PSU sends notice to the conference about a few pass interference calls. Conference decision, Davis is suspended for the Northern Colorado game.

I did not make a big deal about these at the time for a few reasons. Being objective means both teams have to put up with the officials. I do know the league also said our last defensive touchdown against Weber should not have been allowed either, so the officials were bad for both sides. I also recall Glanville not being too kind to officials in the NFL so I just put this down as Glanville being Glanville. Hearing others, particularly those at UNH/UNI made me post these items and what the conference decided. I think it will be interesting this winter at the coaches meetings when officiating is discussed. I would love to be a fly on the wall at those.

And I'll bet NAU, ISU, WSU, UM and MSU all had similar calls go against them in those same games.

blukeys
November 26th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Had Gateway officials at the UD-DSU game - they let the players play (notwithstanding a bunch of non-calls on clear holdings - but then you could call holding on every play).

To me MEAC officials are clearly the worst in all of I-AA, er, FCS...

Agree 100%. As bad as CAA officials can be they are absolute professionals compared to the MEAC. I have watched MEAC games since the 80's and the officials never fail to disappoint.

Anyone who saw the UD-Lafayette 2004 playoff game witnessed a clinic in officiating ineptitude for the ages. The game almost got out of hand despite the fact that both teams were very professional and disciplined. (which is more than I can say for the officiating crew.)

If you win with MEAC officials, you just count your lucky stars and move on to the next game.

Fortunately for the rest of FCS we only see MEAC officials in November. I pity the poor MEAC teams who have to deal with these morons from August on.

TheKDL
November 26th, 2007, 11:30 PM

Ed Hockuli will beat the crap out of you if you say he sucks... he's huge.. then he'll throw you in jail b/c he's a lawyer..and he's one of the best NFL officials... DON'T MESS W/ HOCKULI.xnonox

Walkon79
November 27th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Another thing is those officials gave both teams REALLY REALLY bad spots.

In all honesty, New Hampshire got a few of those worst spots, but UNI had some bad ones too.

I can't comment on the touchdown that was called back since I could not see it and they didn't show it on replay, but the crowd got pretty upset over that. Again, that is to be expected as the crowd it biased.

But I agree, horrible horrible job by the Big Sky officials.

We got a horrible spot in the Cat /Gtriz game. Griz had a third and 1 from the two. Lex got stood up at the three and made no forward progress. (I have a sequence of pictures to prove it). They spotted the ball right on the first down marker, and the Griz scored on the next play. Didn't make a difference in the outcome, I'll admit, but this is just one example.

Walkon79
November 27th, 2007, 11:39 AM
I thought this year's officiating was evidence of a conspiracy to change the BSC from "Montana and a bunch of other guys", to a conference with artificially created parity.....
.....or a bunch of gamblers manipulating the spread.

Now that's just wrong. Their inept, not crooked, and just as many bad calls favored the Griz, IMHO

griz37
November 27th, 2007, 12:13 PM
We got a horrible spot in the Cat /Gtriz game. Griz had a third and 1 from the two. Lex got stood up at the three and made no forward progress. (I have a sequence of pictures to prove it). They spotted the ball right on the first down marker, and the Griz scored on the next play. Didn't make a difference in the outcome, I'll admit, but this is just one example.

That is just one example of the horrible calls that went in favor & against the Griz this year. Fortunately I think the ineptitude evens out in the end.

RE/MAXGriz
November 27th, 2007, 12:52 PM
I feel sorry for the poor souls who the our conference refs this weekend.

Thanks for the posts guys, this thread made me smile, we're not that crazy by saying the Big Sky has the worst refs of all.

biobengal
November 27th, 2007, 02:20 PM

So clear that only Bobcat fans would agree. xcoolx

Houndawg
November 27th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Agree 100%. As bad as CAA officials can be they are absolute professionals compared to the MEAC. I have watched MEAC games since the 80's and the officials never fail to disappoint.

Anyone who saw the UD-Lafayette 2004 playoff game witnessed a clinic in officiating ineptitude for the ages. The game almost got out of hand despite the fact that both teams were very professional and disciplined. (which is more than I can say for the officiating crew.)

If you win with MEAC officials, you just count your lucky stars and move on to the next game.

Fortunately for the rest of FCS we only see MEAC officials in November. I pity the poor MEAC teams who have to deal with these morons from August on.

Amen to that schit. The MEAC refs were AWFUL when SIU played @ Hampton, and I say that after we won by three TDs.

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 27th, 2007, 02:55 PM

Zero?...ZERO? Perhaps you should look at the box score.

I'm really getting tired of this "we almost gave to them"..."the refs hate us" crap. Your viewing the game thru purple glasses. You won the game. UNH delt with the same questionable calls. Give UNH credit for giving you FAR more of a game then you expected. Now suck it up...It's football. How can you enjoy the game if you get all bent out of shape everytime EVERYTHING doesn't go UNIs way? Good luck and move along.

UNCBears2010
November 27th, 2007, 03:47 PM
The final play of UNC's season was the epitome of Big Sky officiating:

PSU has 4th down with 29 seconds left up 10, they let the play clock run out and take the delay of game with 4 seconds left. After the penalty, the refs wind the clock and the last 4 seconds run off! That's not how it works, or else it would be extremely easy to run the clock out. Thanks guys.

Also, there was never a good spot at Nottingham this year, they were always bad and it went both ways.

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 27th, 2007, 06:16 PM

A UNI player gets PUSHED out of bounds right in front of an official and makes a touchdown catch. They call illegal touching????? WTF?? He was pushed out clearly and made every effort to get right back in immediately. If you don't give him the TD you at least have to throw the pass interference flag.

Next play...A field goal attempt. (first off I feel I need to let everyone know that I am standing on top of the UNI Locker room RIGHT BEHIND THE UPRIGHTS!!!!!!) The ball goes through the left upright by 5 FEET!!!, the official under the upright that should have made the call looks at the official under the right upright and says "well"? and then the official farthest away from the ball waves it off. This was not even close and now has me thinking that this official is corrupt. NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!!!!!!! This ball was clearly good and we got screwed!!!!

Every time UNH ran there stretch play effectively the tackles pulled the D Ends to the ground and the strong side guard would take the 3 tech tackle high while the pussy @$$ cheap shot center for UNH would take him at the knees. Not once did UNH have a flag thrown on offense. Odd, isn't it?
The play that should have cost UNI the game. A UNI player laying on his freaking back, 15 yards from me, rolls over, stretches the ball out and the official CALLS A FUMBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW!!!!!!!!

Thanks for listening to me rant, I am sure that UNH has complaints too, I would love to here them. I don't think that UNH had an unfair officiating advantage, like I said these refs were just that bad.

They ran this play all year and don't recall many if any flags thrown on the way thay blocked it. I sorry if it offended you the way they pushed the purple guys to the down. ITS FOOTBALL My word,thank God UNI won (they deserved to) what would you be saying?

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 27th, 2007, 06:19 PM

So why then would you say that the refs "almost gave the game to UNH"?

WyomingGrizFan
November 27th, 2007, 06:48 PM

I remember that call and I agree. Actually, I thought LH lost a yard or so on the play and the spotting had me completely confused as well. Of course, I was watching the play unfold from an angle but it didn't look good until the referee spotted the ball a couple yards ahead of where I thought LH was stopped.

boonegoon
November 28th, 2007, 10:10 AM
The final play of UNC's season was the epitome of Big Sky officiating:

PSU has 4th down with 29 seconds left up 10, they let the play clock run out and take the delay of game with 4 seconds left. After the penalty, the refs wind the clock and the last 4 seconds run off! That's not how it works, or else it would be extremely easy to run the clock out. Thanks guys.

Also, there was never a good spot at Nottingham this year, they were always bad and it went both ways.

That has got to be the funniest/ worst football things that I have heard this year.xoopsx

catbob
November 28th, 2007, 06:23 PM
So clear that only Bobcat fans would agree. xcoolx

I'm pretty sure it was made public that the call was wrong after the game.

AZGrizFan
November 28th, 2007, 06:29 PM

I had ignored this thread until now, and after reading your diatribe, I can see why....WTF is that statement? So you think that ONLY Montana was the beneficiary of bad calls? Are you part of the conspiracy group that thinks the Butte Mafia controls all of the Griz games?

Get over yourself, dude. If UNI was so fricking good, they'd have blown out UNH, and wouldn't have needed a last second TD to save their season. Yeah, BSC officials suck....but it had NOTHING to do with Montana going 11-0.

biobengal
November 28th, 2007, 06:38 PM
I'm pretty sure it was made public that the call was wrong after the game.

Absolutely incorrect.