PDA

View Full Version : Football clock rules question

JayJ79
November 25th, 2007, 03:03 AM
Scenario:
First Down, offense throws an incomplete pass. clock stops and it brings up 2nd and 10.

Second Down, flag is thrown for offsides on the defense, but play is allowed to continue (i.e. the offense is given a "free play"). Short pass is completed, receiver goes down inbounds. But the offense elects to accept the 5 yard penalty instead.

So obviously, the next play is 2nd and 5. But shouldn't the clock start with the snap instead of when the play clock is started? (since the last official play was an incomplete pass)

93BlueHen
November 25th, 2007, 08:53 AM
NCAA Rules/Regs, see pgs FR 68-69, Article 5:

http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/2007/2007_football_rules.pdf

JayJ79
November 25th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the reference.
Though I'm afraid it still goes over my head.

93BlueHen
November 25th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the reference.
Though I'm afraid it still goes over my head.

Lol, yeah, mine too. That's why I gave you the rules. I was afraid to try to interpret them, and it looks like no one else is going to take a stab either.

To me, intuitively, the clock would not start because of the penalty, but I'll defer to an expert.

appfan2008
November 25th, 2007, 01:35 PM
not an expert but if i had to guess it shouldnt start

AppIAA
November 25th, 2007, 11:20 PM
The clock does start since the penalty is a live ball foul -- meaning the play continues. No matter what would have happened (i.e. offense not taking the penalty, a greater penalty ensuing after the offsides, etc) the time would be taken off the clock.

Had it been a penalty where a play does not ensue afterwards (dead ball foul -- false start), the time would not be started