PDA

View Full Version : Sitting in Harrisonburg...

AlphaSigMD
November 24th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Ok, I just got to my hotel room in Harrisonburg (odd, yes...I know) on my way back to NJ after the game. I just wanted to write a couple of thoughts about today's events.

1. ASU had no business winning that game today. Yes, we did (just) enough on offense to scrape by in the 2nd most unlikely way that the rock has ever witnessed (see: Furman Oct 12th, 2002). But our defense was just not flying to the ball. IN FACT, they were often a mismash of lackluster pursuit mixed with overpursuit. For that, I give a LOAD of credit to the JMU offense. They made look flat out weak. However, we consistently missed the 1st tackle on play after play, and that onus weighs solely on the guys in black. We've been given a gift seed in our side of the bracket. I posted here last sunday about how this position was the best possible outcome for ASU, and the cards fell perfectly for ASU today. I didn't realize that we would need a gift from JMU as well in order to be able to take advantage of this position. I will humbly accept the gift, and hope that ASU can make some modifications in the Run D. While they will match up well against Pass-Happy EWU next week, IF they can get past the surging EWU, they will face 2 top notch running squads in UR or Wofford. Howver, they certainly cannot overlook EWU (and given the score of the McNeese game today, its doubtful that they will) and will have to shore up some blown coverages today quickly.

2. UM and McNeese had great seasons. UM was a good team, but they ran into a determined Wofford team that was probably the best team they have faced all year. Same for McNeese, but I feel they might be feeling as exposed. Its sad to see McNeese get bit by the same BigSky bug (although not the same team) as a few seasons back, but they too ran into a hot team looking to make a statement.

3. Thanks to UR and Wofford.

4. This tournament could be won by ANY of the 8 teams remaining.

5. Wow. UNH really played UNI really close. I didn't think it would be that close.

6. OK, I'm on the CAA bandwagon xbowx
UMass wins
Delaware wins BIG
Richmond wins
JMU deserved to win and makes the ASU defense look anemic.
UNH plays UNI to the wire at the dome.

ASU
November 25th, 2007, 12:11 AM
Look at it this way....JMU had the ball twice as long as App State, but could not score as many points as we did.
They were extremely lucky on getting so many 3d and 4th down almost exactly the yardage they needed.
Our defense did step up when they had no choice.
It's not all just being lucky.....I am sure those really tired ASU defensive players do not think so.

feb18blacksunday
November 25th, 2007, 12:11 AM
We have had trouble stoppin runnin teams all year. Losing three studs from the DL hurt very much. However the heart of the team should not be questioned cause they laid it out there on the field. Gary Tharrington is just a warrior; a wounded on at that. We'll just hitch em up and get ready for next week.

KiddBrewer
November 25th, 2007, 12:15 AM
to quote herm, "you play to win the game", i think weve all, myself included been to hard on them lately, yes the defense is shady sometimes, ok a lot, but lets harass them if we lose.

back2back
November 25th, 2007, 07:12 AM
Alpha Sig,

Good post except for the CAA butt kissing. UMass, Richmond and Delaware played no one and UNH and JMU are seasoned teams with great players and good coaching. I will be in Harrisonburg next year for the rematch. Go APPS!

APPride
November 25th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Look at it this way....JMU had the ball twice as long as App State, but could not score as many points as we did.
They were extremely lucky on getting so many 3d and 4th down almost exactly the yardage they needed.
Our defense did step up when they had no choice.
It's not all just being lucky.....I am sure those really tired ASU defensive players do not think so.

let's all remember that fact...I am always amazed at ASU'S ability to find a way to win...hence my dis-belief on Black Saturday (GSU game) when Armanti didn't pick up that 1st down on the final drive...(just hadn't seen that much during the last 3 years!)

BigApp
November 25th, 2007, 12:39 PM
a Mountaineer is NOT a metrosexual. Enough of the self-deprecation posts.

Please?

appfan2008
November 25th, 2007, 12:50 PM
we won we move on... we have some things to work on but we will do just that and we WILL be ready for next week