PDA

View Full Version : Wofford V.S. Richmond

Zoo
November 24th, 2007, 11:27 PM
I think this should be a pretty good matchup, what do you guys think?

Nice job to Richmond for defeating EKU, and to Wofford who beat Montana in dramatic fashion.

GannonFan
November 24th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Richmond won't be troubled by the option offense like Montana was as they've seen option offenses quite often. Big question will be whether Wofford will be able to contain Richmond. I'm not sure Wofford will be able to keep up with the score that Richmond will put up - Richmond is scary good on the offensive side. Will be a lot of rushing yards in this game.

millwoga1
November 24th, 2007, 11:45 PM
This all sounds familiar. Montana thought the same thing

mvemjsunpx
November 24th, 2007, 11:48 PM
If Wofford can stop Richmond's running attack, they'll win.
That's a big "if", though.

Mountaineer
November 24th, 2007, 11:48 PM

Well..you're dealing with a bunch of conference partisans once the playoffs start. Say goodbye to objectivity and hello to a bunch of xhomerx-ing. :D xnodx

GannonFan
November 24th, 2007, 11:55 PM

Oh stop it. Montana hadn't seen an option in years. Richmond sees variations on the option about 4-5 times a year - to say that Montana and Richmond are in anyway similar in terms of their exposure to the type of offense Wofford runs is just silly. Heck, even Richmond themselves runs some option out of their offense. If anyone actually thought Montana would've been properly prepared for Wofford's offense then they weren't worth listening to - but if you really think Richmond's going to be grasping at air going up against the same offense then I'm sure you'll be plenty surprised come Saturday.

youwouldno
November 24th, 2007, 11:56 PM
Well the game I guess is at Wofford per CSN's bracket. Wofford doesn't exactly draw enormous, rowdy crowds, but it's still home field advantage. Wofford uses unusual schemes so while Richmond has faced option offenses, they haven't faced anything quite like the Terrier version; Wofford also plays a fairly unusual defense that Montana had a lot of trouble with.

Wofford has seen better than Richmond so far as offenses go. Hightower is the real deal but he isn't enough. Ward will have to make plays and he's usually more of a game manager.

GannonFan
November 25th, 2007, 12:04 AM
Well the game I guess is at Wofford per CSN's bracket. Wofford doesn't exactly draw enormous, rowdy crowds, but it's still home field advantage. Wofford uses unusual schemes so while Richmond has faced option offenses, they haven't faced anything quite like the Terrier version; Wofford also plays a fairly unusual defense that Montana had a lot of trouble with.

Wofford has seen better than Richmond so far as offenses go. Hightower is the real deal but he isn't enough. Ward will have to make plays and he's usually more of a game manager.

Richmond's won in the tiny, sparse crowds at Parson's Field, and won at the big venues at both JMU and UD - Wofford's advantage of being at home will just be that they don't need to travel - other than that the game will be decided on the field, not the location of the stadium.

And Richmond is more than just Hightower - Vaughan is a stud behind him and more of the home run hitter, and Ward is certainly more than a game manager - heck, I thought he looked better than the more touted Landers from JMU.

mvemjsunpx
November 25th, 2007, 12:12 AM
Oh stop it. Montana hadn't seen an option in years. Richmond sees variations on the option about 4-5 times a year - to say that Montana and Richmond are in anyway similar in terms of their exposure to the type of offense Wofford runs is just silly. Heck, even Richmond themselves runs some option out of their offense. If anyone actually thought Montana would've been properly prepared for Wofford's offense then they weren't worth listening to - but if you really think Richmond's going to be grasping at air going up against the same offense then I'm sure you'll be plenty surprised come Saturday.

You don't need to have seen the option recently to figure out how to defend it. It's not exactly complicated & most everyone has seen it at some point, particularly in high school football. Montana certainly didn't gameplan well on defense today, but they've done fine with the option most every other time they've faced it since the Don Read era ended. Look at the 2001 title game against Furman for an example. Southern Utah gave Montana problems in 1998 & 2002, but they ran a very strange form of the option with tackles lining up as receivers & other crazy stuff. Also, Kraig Paulson was the Griz DC in 1998, as well, & he doesn't seem to have much clue as to how to stop the option, then or now.

GannonFan
November 25th, 2007, 12:18 AM
You don't need to have seen the option recently to figure out how to defend it. It's not exactly complicated & most everyone has seen it at some point, particularly in high school football. Montana certainly didn't gameplan well on defense today, but they've done fine with the option most every other time they've faced it since the Don Read era ended. Look at the 2001 title game against Furman for an example. Southern Utah gave Montana problems in 1998 & 2002, but they ran a very strange form of the option with tackles lining up as receivers & other crazy stuff. Also, Kraig Paulson was the Griz DC in 1998, as well, & he doesn't seem to have much clue as to how to stop the option, then or now.

Knowing how to stop it and doing it is entirely different, and if you don't practice against it often then it is difficult to prepare for. The more you prep for some version of it the better.

mvemjsunpx
November 25th, 2007, 12:27 AM
Knowing how to stop it and doing it is entirely different, and if you don't practice against it often then it is difficult to prepare for. The more you prep for some version of it the better.

That's true. With the personnel the Griz have on defense, though, they should have done a much better job than they did.

The Griz did play 2 spread option teams (NAU & Southern Utah). Montana also occasionally runs spread option themselves. I know it's not the same as the flexbone, but it's not like the Griz were clueless. Or, at least, they had no excuse for being clueless.

AZGrizFan
November 25th, 2007, 12:32 AM

Montana held Wofford to 14 points below their season average. They lost the game on the offensive side of the ball, not the defensive one. xcoolx

mvemjsunpx
November 25th, 2007, 12:45 AM
Montana held Wofford to 14 points below their season average. They lost the game on the offensive side of the ball, not the defensive one. xcoolx

Seriously, did you watch the game? We could not stop them at all. Other than when Wofford stupidly gave Montana the ball a few times, they ran all over the Griz. Wofford only punted once. We managed to get a few gutsy 4th. down stops to stay in the game (they shouldn't have gone for it on at least one of those), but they were in our territory most of the day. Oddly enough, they probably would have beaten us worse if they had never thrown a pass (2 INT's). And they certainly never needed to pass.

I know it's fashionable for Griz fans to blame the offense for everything under the sun, including football losses, terrorism & bad weather, but they were not the primary culprit today. They made some mistakes, but they did a decent job against a defense that played much better than they'd shown earlier in the year (the latter part of that sentence was Hauck's assessment). They did make mistakes (the false start on the 1 was a killer), but they didn't commit any turnovers & moved the ball well most of the day. We just couldn't get Wofford's offense off the field.

Griz40
November 25th, 2007, 12:47 AM
Thank you AZ! Montana's defense did great! By the way the Don Read era defense did extremely good against the option as well (i.e. MSU).

GolfingGriz
November 25th, 2007, 12:51 AM
I thought this was about wofford and richmond...how easily we get distractedxlolx xlolx

Griz40
November 25th, 2007, 12:52 AM
Seriously, did you watch the game? We could not stop them at all. Other than when Wofford stupidly gave Montana the ball a few times, they ran all over the Griz. Wofford only punted once. We managed to get a few gutsy 4th. down stops to stay in the game (they shouldn't have gone for it on at least one of those), but they were in our territory most of the day. Oddly enough, they probably would have beaten us worse if they had never thrown a pass (2 INT's). And they certainly never needed to pass.

I know it's fashionable for Griz fans to blame the offense for everything under the sun, including football losses, terrorism & bad weather, but they were not the primary culprit today. They made some mistakes, but they did a decent job against a defense that played much better than they'd shown earlier in the year (the latter part of that sentence was Hauck's assessment). They did make mistakes (the false start on the 1 was a killer), but they didn't commit any turnovers & moved the ball well most of the day. We just couldn't get Wofford's offense off the field.

Did you watch the game as well? 3 turnovers in our favor and no points. Do you remeber "the rabbits"? Or wait...even better, a guy named Dave? The offense lost the game today against Wofford. The kicking game will get a lot of the blame but to be honest....it shouldn't have even come down to that. Dan Carpenter did not lose the game by missing a field goal.....the offense lost it by not being up by more. The Wofford defense wasn't that good. (no offense Wofford fans.....I am pulling for you the rest of the way!)

Griz40
November 25th, 2007, 12:53 AM
I thought this was about wofford and richmond...how easily we get distractedxlolx xlolx
Good point...just complaining....my bad. GO WOFFORD!!!

ButlerGSU
November 25th, 2007, 01:28 AM
Richmond won't be troubled by the option offense like Montana was as they've seen option offenses quite often. Big question will be whether Wofford will be able to contain Richmond. I'm not sure Wofford will be able to keep up with the score that Richmond will put up - Richmond is scary good on the offensive side. Will be a lot of rushing yards in this game.

Wofford has faced a few high powered offenses in conference play this season. I thought they did a great job shutting down Montana after those turnovers. It should be an interesting game.

youwouldno
November 25th, 2007, 01:30 AM
Richmond's won in the tiny, sparse crowds at Parson's Field, and won at the big venues at both JMU and UD - Wofford's advantage of being at home will just be that they don't need to travel - other than that the game will be decided on the field, not the location of the stadium.

And Richmond is more than just Hightower - Vaughan is a stud behind him and more of the home run hitter, and Ward is certainly more than a game manager - heck, I thought he looked better than the more touted Landers from JMU.

Ward had a big game against Delaware but most of his game performances have been mediocre, at least from a statistical standpoint. Against JMU for instance he went 11/22 for 74 yards, a TD and INT. W&M has a horrible defense and he went 11/21 for 153, no TD's and 2 INT's. He's played over 20 games and only has 3 with more than 200 yards passing, and those were barely over. Landers isn't the greatest passer but he has greater running ability- and still 3 times this year Landers threw for more yards than Ward ever has in a game.

In any case, it should be a close contest. Both teams are well tested and fundamentally sound. I've been high on Richmond since the pre-season but I think Wofford wins.

B&G
November 25th, 2007, 01:42 AM
Wofford has been turnover prone late in the season. Richmond has an offense that could make them pay for those mistakes. I have no idea what to expect in this game although I feel safe saying it'll be a closer game than Richmond played this week and obviously not as close as the one Wofford played.

Griz40
November 25th, 2007, 01:56 AM
Wofford has been turnover prone late in the season. Richmond has an offense that could make them pay for those mistakes. I have no idea what to expect in this game although I feel safe saying it'll be a closer game than Richmond played this week and obviously not as close as the one Wofford played.
I hope Wofford isn't as turnover prone next week. We didn't capitalize but someone else might.

grizdax
November 25th, 2007, 03:40 AM
I don't know Richmond....And to their Spider Fans.....I want to wish the best of luck.....But....."Best of luck" is the best I can give you....>The Terriers came into a tough......And the Loudest Crowd Washington Grizzly can give you and you perservered......and won the game....>CONGRATS WOFFORD!!!! You are an Awesome team and I am ROOTING FOR YOU!!! Unless you play EWU. Richmond......you don't stand a chance.

grizdax
November 25th, 2007, 03:43 AM
P.S. Griz fans Posting.......You and I both know.....Phenocie is the one and only one reason we lost the game. Cole played well all season long, Lex played as well as any TB can play, and the plays were less than average. And yet the fired Wyoming Offensive Coordinator remains in his job.........Food for thought.

Tribe4SF
November 25th, 2007, 07:04 AM
This should be a terrific matchup. Two strong rushing offenses facing two strong rushing defenses.

As far as Wofford's flex-bone goes, I think Gannonfan is right that UR certainly will not be starting from scratch in preparing for it. Defensing that offense is all about assignment football, and those assignments are unique for teams not used to preparing for it. Carrying out those assignments is another story, and I think it's safe to say that Wofford runs this better than anyone Richmond has seen.

Richmond looked very good last night, with strong showings on offense, defense and special teams.

Coulson (of course) and the pundits will probably take Wofford, but I think this is the all-time tossup.

spdram
November 25th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the support CAA fans, this game will be tough! I hope the Wofford crowd is loud and raucous, I have heard this team say many times they get fired up more when the opponents cheer louder. Remember our only FCS loss, Towson. Other than their band the 4-500 Richmond fans were louder. Message to Wofford fans, be quiet, maybe you will put us to sleep.

Ward has not put up stellar numbers this season, but I'm happy he's our QB. Clawson does not put the game on his shoulders, eg Landers, Santos. Has he had a few INT's, sure, but he's getting better. The thing that makes this UR team strong is the balance, we can run, we can pass, we can defend and our special teams are well "special". I'll say this whoever wins will deserve it.

Appdad
November 25th, 2007, 08:45 AM

My take, Richmond is in trouble.

Oldhen
November 25th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Ward had a big game against Delaware but most of his game performances have been mediocre, at least from a statistical standpoint.

A lot of that comes from what he was asked to do in the gameplan. Many (most?) of UR's gameplans have been very conservative, just calling for stout D and Hightower and Vaughn to run the ball. In a shootout against UD, he was asked to do a lot more, and showed what he was capable of. If they need to get him more involved in the O aginst Woffy, either running or passing, he'll be there.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 25th, 2007, 09:14 AM

I seriously doubt that they have played an option team with the same speed and offensive versatility as Wofford.

Oldhen
November 25th, 2007, 09:21 AM
I seriously doubt that they have played an option team with the same speed and offensive versatility as Wofford.

Only one I've seen better is USNA.

Eight Legger
November 25th, 2007, 09:28 AM
This should be a great game. I haven't seen Wofford at all, but it is obviously the best option team we've faced this year. However, I would venture to say that Delaware and New Hampshire are probably the two of the best three offensive teams in the nation, and we did enough to beat both of them. It's pretty tough to keep our offense under 30 points. . . take a look at our season. JMU did it, and we still won. Towson did it somehow and won on the last play of the game. I think it will take that kind of effort from Wofford's D to beat us.

Keep thinking Ward is a game manager. . . you obviously haven't seen him. He's had two bad games, and the other games he hasn't needed to throw. The W&M game is a perfect example. Why should he throw when we're ahead by two touchdowns or more? We have two great running backs and as long as they are gaining yards, we will keep pounding it.

We are a great road team, so I expect a 3-5 point game either way here. The fact that JMU went into Appy and should have won that game 3 different ways tells me that the CAA is still the cream of the crop, but we'll see on Saturday.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 25th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Only one I've seen better is USNA.

I don't know about that. Wofford may actually have more athletic players and they are almost as disciplined as any military team.

Tribe4SF
November 25th, 2007, 09:48 AM
I don't know about that. Wofford may actually have more athletic players and they are almost as disciplined as any military team.

Agreed, and that's why this is such a great match-up. Wofford is obviously a team that can win this game, but if anyone thinks they are a clear favorite they're kidding themselves. Richmond is a potent, and balanced team, that defends the run very well. EKU had made their name with a big turnover margin, but Richmond showed their discipline last night, winning that battle 4-0.

Baldy
November 25th, 2007, 10:07 AM

Bingo...nail meets head. xthumbsupx

youwouldno
November 25th, 2007, 10:13 AM
EKU wasn't a strong opponent. It's the OVC, an automatic win. The SoCon isn't that-- Richmond fans should know, from the last time the Spiders made the 2nd round.

Tribe4SF
November 25th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Bingo...nail meets head. xthumbsupx

And Richmond has seen better than Wofford as far as defenses go.

Bingo...nail meets head.xthumbsupx

FurmanPaladins4138
November 25th, 2007, 10:25 AM
EKU wasn't a strong opponent. It's the OVC, an automatic win. The SoCon isn't that-- Richmond fans should know, from the last time the Spiders made the 2nd round.

Yes, as a Furman fan I remember that well...

Oldhen
November 25th, 2007, 10:29 AM

Not that statistics are the end-all and be-all, but USNA is averaging 458 total offense vs Woffy's 437, with 357 rushing vs Woffy's 319, and 40 pt vs Woffy's 36. All this against a tougher schedule.

RazorEdge19
November 25th, 2007, 10:41 AM
And Richmond has seen better than Wofford as far as defenses go.

Bingo...nail meets head.xthumbsupx

Funny, I think Montana said the same thing xrolleyesx

Tribe4SF
November 25th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Yes, as a Furman fan I remember that well...

I was there, as well. If Richmond had a receiver who could catch the ball, they would have won. That was a truly one dimensional team (Stacy Tutt). This Richmond team is much better offensively than the 2005 squad.

spdram
November 25th, 2007, 11:23 AM
From Tribe4SF "I was there, as well. If Richmond had a receiver who could catch the ball, they would have won. That was a truly one dimensional team (Stacy Tutt). This Richmond team is much better offensively than the 2005 squad"

I agree, Stacy was the '05 UR offense. I'm told we may have all of our WR's for the first time this season, if we do we will be a completely different team than we have been all season. If we have had one offensive weakness this season it has been the ability to consistantly spread out the D, if we have all of our WR's at once that will no longer be a problem.

Cocky
November 25th, 2007, 11:36 AM
My predictions is the game will not last over 2 hours.

ASUdrummer
November 25th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Okay, I went through ALL of these posts, maybe not in great detail, but where is this game?! Should I assume it's at Richmond since the topic title has them listed last??? Anyways, it should be a great game between two great teams. I'm not sure what to think about Richmond since they really weren't tested in the 1st Round. However, going off of their Conference record in the tough CAA this should be another great game for Wofford. Gotta go with the SoCon (and the possibility of Wofford @ App), Go Terriers!!!

Tribe4SF
November 25th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Game is at Wofford.

Tribe4SF
November 25th, 2007, 11:59 AM
From Tribe4SF "I was there, as well. If Richmond had a receiver who could catch the ball, they would have won. That was a truly one dimensional team (Stacy Tutt). This Richmond team is much better offensively than the 2005 squad"

I agree, Stacy was the '05 UR offense. I'm told we may have all of our WR's for the first time this season, if we do we will be a completely different team than we have been all season. If we have had one offensive weakness this season it has been the ability to consistantly spread out the D, if we have all of our WR's at once that will no longer be a problem.

Does that mean Arman Shields is ready to go? He's a real difference maker, and if he's back at anything approaching 100% he greatly enhances the Richmond offense.

Eight Legger
November 25th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Clawson said last week that if UR won it was likely that Shields would be able to play. Hopefully that will be correct. If he's healthy or close to it, we have 6 real threats on offense.

spdram
November 25th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Legit 4.35 speed check out what the Vanderbilt fans had to say about him.

CID1990
November 25th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Not that statistics are the end-all and be-all, but USNA is averaging 458 total offense vs Woffy's 437, with 357 rushing vs Woffy's 319, and 40 pt vs Woffy's 36. All this against a tougher schedule.

Army, Air Force, Delaware, Duke, Ball State and (this year) Notre Dame is not necessarily a harder schedule. ASU is a scarier opponent than any of those.

CID1990
November 25th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Guess what last weekend will have in common with this coming weekend?

Another CAA team and another Big Sky team will go home, compliments of the SoCon.

Oldhen
November 25th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Army, Air Force, Delaware, Duke, Ball State and (this year) Notre Dame is not necessarily a harder schedule. ASU is a scarier opponent than any of those.

You left out a couple.

Tribe4SF
November 25th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Legit 4.35 speed check out what the Vanderbilt fans had to say about him.

As important as his speed is his experience. 160 career receptions. 12 against Vandy in the opener. His presence will make things easier on Grayson, who has really developed well, and has faced double coverage alot.

CID1990
November 25th, 2007, 04:19 PM
You left out a couple.

Those were just the ones I know without actually looking at the schedule. You mean there was a tougher opponent than Delaware in there?

blueballs
November 25th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Richmond won't bring any more speed or a more potent offense to the table than what Wofford has already seen from ASU and GSU and I highly doubt Wofford is any better offensively than UD or UNH.

Both teams are solid and I would imagine turnovers will decide the outcome. Remember this though... Wofford's coach is a sly one and they have a boatload of tricks in that offense and he will use them anywhere anytime, the guy's a master.

Tribe4SF
November 25th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Those were just the ones I know without actually looking at the schedule. You mean there was a tougher opponent than Delaware in there?

Rutgers, Pittsburgh and Wake Forest.

CID1990
November 25th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Rutgers, Pittsburgh and Wake Forest.

They are tougher than Delaware? xsmiley_wix

Tribe4SF
November 25th, 2007, 04:51 PM
They are tougher than Delaware? xsmiley_wix

No, but tougher than anyone Wofford has played.xsmiley_wix

Tim James
November 25th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Playoff history.

Richmond never gets past round 2.

Pitbull
November 25th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Will this game be televised....?

Eight Legger
November 25th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Right, and I guess the way the future works is that nothing that hasn't already happened will happen? Please. This is the most balanced team we've ever had. I forget how many national championship Wofford has won? I guess if it's zero, they might as well just quit playing then, since it's impossible for them to win one this year.

Tubby Raymond
November 25th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Ward had a big game against Delaware but most of his game performances have been mediocre, at least from a statistical standpoint. Against JMU for instance he went 11/22 for 74 yards, a TD and INT. W&M has a horrible defense and he went 11/21 for 153, no TD's and 2 INT's. He's played over 20 games and only has 3 with more than 200 yards passing, and those were barely over. Landers isn't the greatest passer but he has greater running ability- and still 3 times this year Landers threw for more yards than Ward ever has in a game.

In any case, it should be a close contest. Both teams are well tested and fundamentally sound. I've been high on Richmond since the pre-season but I think Wofford wins.

Why the heell did he decide to have his great game against us?xeekx

terrierbob
November 25th, 2007, 06:57 PM
I'm glad the game's in Spartanburg. I suppose I'm showing my FCS ignorance, but how did we get the home game?

ASUG8
November 25th, 2007, 07:01 PM

Still trying to figure this out for App - our D sees it daily, yet we can't defend it.xconfusedx

Appdad
November 25th, 2007, 07:02 PM
I'm glad the game's in Spartanburg. I suppose I'm showing my FCS ignorance, but how did we get the home game?

Either you bid more than Richmond or the NCAA wanted to make sure you got a home game if you make it to the finals since JMU in 2004 didn't get one.

I think that is why Furman had to go to Richmond in either 05 or 06.

terrierbob
November 25th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Either you bid more than Richmond or the NCAA wanted to make sure you got a home game if you make it to the finals since JMU in 2004 didn't get one.

Thanks.

terrierbob
November 25th, 2007, 07:07 PM
This should be a great game. I haven't seen Wofford at all, but it is obviously the best option team we've faced this year. However, I would venture to say that Delaware and New Hampshire are probably the two of the best three offensive teams in the nation, and we did enough to beat both of them. It's pretty tough to keep our offense under 30 points. . . take a look at our season. JMU did it, and we still won. Towson did it somehow and won on the last play of the game. I think it will take that kind of effort from Wofford's D to beat us.

Keep thinking Ward is a game manager. . . you obviously haven't seen him. He's had two bad games, and the other games he hasn't needed to throw. The W&M game is a perfect example. Why should he throw when we're ahead by two touchdowns or more? We have two great running backs and as long as they are gaining yards, we will keep pounding it.

We are a great road team, so I expect a 3-5 point game either way here. The fact that JMU went into Appy and should have won that game 3 different ways tells me that the CAA is still the cream of the crop, but we'll see on Saturday.

Eight legger- what's your fan site? Ours is www.terrierfans.com

Millwoch
November 25th, 2007, 07:18 PM

It is not weather you have seen it or not, but if you can stop it. This Wofford team is also deep in talent and rarely makes mistakes. They only need to average 3-4 yards a play to punish you and keep your D on the field most of the game. That is Woffords best D, keep you O off the field. We will see Saturday if this happens again. I watched the game in Montana sat. and was amazed at how wofford took the Grizs fans out of the game...

Spider
November 25th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Playoff history.

Richmond never gets past round 2.

past history

Oldhen
November 25th, 2007, 07:32 PM

Rutgers and Wake Forest... both top 25 when Navy played them

Tribe4SF
November 25th, 2007, 07:55 PM

Wofford had the higher bid. In '05 UR had the higher bid. That is the only criteria at this point between unseeded teams. That's why they knew so quickly, because the bids were submitted weeks ago. It was announced on the PA system at the conclusion of the UR game.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 25th, 2007, 07:57 PM
UR fan site is spiderfans.com

terrierbob
November 25th, 2007, 09:00 PM
UR fan site is spiderfans.com
Thanks

Saint3333
November 25th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Rutgers and Wake Forest... both top 25 when Navy played them

ASU was receiving Top 25 FBS votes when Wofford beat them.

Wofford is a solid team with a coach that brings a solid game play to each game. I agree with Blueballs whoever wins the turnover battle wins the game. If WC can execute like they did against ASU, they win.

woffordgrad94
November 25th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Call me a ""homer" if you want, but I like the matchup for Wofford, and I think we'll beat the Spiders. First, maybe they've seen options, but they haven't seen OUR option! It really is one of a kind, and EVERYONE, including FBS teams and SoCon teams that have seen it for years, struggles to stop it. When we lose, it's usually because we turned the ball ovew too much, not because our option was stopped. I'm not trying to be a braggart, I'm just telling you what I've seen. Second, our defense has been excellent against the run. We'll give up yards and some points against a quality offense,yes, but we won't implode defensively against a run-oriented team. What I'm saying is unless Richmond has a running attack much better than any of the other teams that we've ever faced (and that includes ASU with Kevin Richardson and GSU with Jayson Foster), we should be OK. I like us in this game for those two reasons. I'm not saying we can't lose, but I really think we should win. I don't have Arachnophobia at all... WOFFORD 35, Richmond 24

Squealofthepig
November 25th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Call me a ""homer" if you want, but I like the matchup for Wofford, and I think we'll beat the Spiders. First, maybe they've seen options, but they haven't seen OUR option! It really is one of a kind, and EVERYONE, including FBS teams and SoCon teams that have seen it for years, struggles to stop it. When we lose, it's usually because we turned the ball ovew too much, not because our option was stopped. I'm not trying to be a braggart, I'm just telling you what I've seen. Second, our defense has been excellent against the run. We'll give up yards and some points against a quality offense,yes, but we won't implode defensively against a run-oriented team. What I'm saying is unless Richmond has a running attack much better than any of the other teams that we've ever faced (and that includes ASU with Kevin Richardson and GSU with Jayson Foster), we should be OK. I like us in this game for those two reasons. I'm not saying we can't lose, but I really think we should win. I don't have Arachnophobia at all... WOFFORD 35, Richmond 24

Yeah, the Spiders have to make the most of turnovers. Wofford's offense is a bit... odd, to say the least (I mean, the Veer?) but they run it relentlessly, and their offensive line can wear teams down. Wofford is beatable, to be certain, but they execute extremely well, and Richmond will have to capitalize on their mistakes. My Griz played pretty well, but didn't really take advantage of Wofford's miscues, and the Terriers earned a hard-fought battle. They're not glamorous, but they are effective, and they're hard for me not to root for. xthumbsupx

B&G
November 26th, 2007, 01:42 AM
I dunno who to root for in this one. I'm not sure I want to see an ASU-Wofford rematch if App gets by EWU. I just hope it is an exciting game. And that both teams beat each other up.

citdog
November 26th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Woffy by 10

Dukie95
November 26th, 2007, 09:03 AM
My two cents on UR.

IMO, UR has the best coaching staff in the CAA. They may not have many marqee players beyond Hightower, but they have a game plan and flat-out get the job done. They're able to do so much with less "marquee" talent than other CAA teams.

Last year, UNH was the unstoppable force in the CAA until UR came with a game plan that exposed them. They didn't win, but they opened the door for other teams to beat UNH.

UR is the only team in the past 3 years to have won at JMU, and they've done it twice - They won at UD and NU this year. They know how to play on the road.

OL FU
November 26th, 2007, 09:10 AM
My two cents on UR.

IMO, UR has the best coaching staff in the CAA. They may not have many marqee players beyond Hightower, but they have a game plan and flat-out get the job done. They're able to do so much with less "marquee" talent than other CAA teams.

Last year, UNH was the unstoppable force in the CAA until UR came with a game plan that exposed them. They didn't win, but they opened the door for other teams to beat UNH.

UR is the only team in the past 3 years to have won at JMU, and they've done it twice - They won at UD and NU this year. They know how to play on the road.

Then this should be interesting because you will hear similar comments about Wofford's staff. The general consensus is that Ayers does more with less and his players always over producexnodx

citdog
November 26th, 2007, 09:18 AM
what was previously posted about the Confederate Capitol's Team and their game planning will be put to the test this week. 6 days to try and prepare for an offense you haven't seen anything like all year is tough. my advice........

pack a lunch

Mountaineer#96
November 26th, 2007, 09:43 AM
what was previously posted about the Confederate Capitol's Team and their game planning will be put to the test this week. 6 days to try and prepare for an offense you haven't seen anything like all year is tough. my advice........

pack a lunch

I'm pretty sure URI runs a offense like Wofford's wing bone. Not trying to upset my southern brother of course.

Dukie95
November 26th, 2007, 09:44 AM
I'm pretty sure URI runs a offense like Wofford's wing bone. Not trying to upset my southern brother of course.

But with better talent and coaching...on the Wofford side, that is.

URMite
November 26th, 2007, 11:00 AM
This game could be really low scoring, with each team only getting one possession each quarter...

If it comes down TOs then we have 3 fumbles in 12 games, so you need to make us throw (7 INTs in last 11 games).

We have faced 2 option teams this year, Bucknell & URI, neither nearly as good as Wofford but gave our D some practice. Your best rushing chance is quick hitters up the middle, otherwise you are likely to see 3 defenders at the line of scrimmage. We don't cause as many negative yardage as we should but lots of 1 or 2 yards (even against good running teams). The best description is that we try to turn the field into a quagmire for running teams.

On offense, Hightower starts as much as 9 yards deep so he can see the holes. Since taking a hit to the knee at UD, he doesn't seem to have that final gear. Still a lot of 8 yard runs and some 20s but less breakaway speed unless he's healthy. Vaughn (next year's starter) has seen more action because of this. He is more elusive than Hightower but doesn't break tackles as easily. Ward (QB) will fill in where needed, 2 to 3 8-10 yard runs for 1st downs, 6 to 8 12-15 yard passes at key times. Shields is our 2nd alltime receiver (12 catches at Vandy, then only 1/2 1st qtr at NU & URI), 50/50% that he could return this game - against his agents advice, expected to be in the thick of it at the NFL combines, and doesn't want to risk further injury.

Lastly our KO returner has 2 games over 200 yards, but I assume the terriers will try to avoid him.

I'm not going to predict a winner but I feel more comfortable of a competitive game against a run-oriented offense, since our biggest breakdowns seem to be when we have to play pass coverage for long stretches.

Spider
November 26th, 2007, 02:14 PM
We have been playing good ball on both sides of the ball all year. The special team play has been 'special'. Dave Clawson is an excellent coach. This game will be decided on turnovers. We have been the underdogs all year and have found ways to win and I don't see anything differently on Sat......xthumbsupx

GaSouthern
November 26th, 2007, 03:11 PM
GOOOOOOOOOO WOFFIE & Kung FOO AYERS!!!!!!

DO IT AGAIN!

terrierbob
November 26th, 2007, 03:12 PM
We have been playing good ball on both sides of the ball all year. The special team play has been 'special'. Dave Clawson is an excellent coach. This game will be decided on turnovers. We have been the underdogs all year and have found ways to win and I don't see anything differently on Sat......xthumbsupx

Nope. We're the underdogs. Don't try to snake that away from us. ;)

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 26th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Then this should be interesting because you will hear similar comments about Wofford's staff. The general consensus is that Ayers does more with less and his players always over producexnodx

This is an extremely interesting matchup, more so than any of the other quarterfinals IMO even if the "marquee" players are not in this game.

My gut says Richmond because of turnovers:

Wofford: +26 / -24 = +2 for the year
Richmond: +20 / -15 = +5 for the year

I think Richmond will hold on to the ball better. Richmond is very fast sideline to sideline and always have great DTs to stuff the run up the middle. They are solid tacklers. Teams that exposed them the most were UNH and Delaware, who both are primarily passing teams (I feel this way despite the Cuff show at UD). Wofford needs to have a great passing game to win on Saturday. Richmond is too disciplined to lose vs. any version of the option. The option offense always lends itself naturally to more TOs. I see UR winning the turnover battle 3-1 on Saturday and winning the game to the tune of 24-21.

Good luck to both teams! xthumbsupx

srgrizizen
November 26th, 2007, 04:08 PM
xlolx xlolx If Gannonfan thinks Richmond won't be troubled by the Wofford offense, he needs to lay off whatever he's smoking. Damn right it troubled Montana, but the Griz still held them under their scoring average. I wonder what the chances are Richmond can hold Wofford to 23 points or less? Slim to none, I'd guess. You can beat Wofford by outscoring them (UM had their chances and fell one missed kick short), and Richmond could too, but if you think you're going to stuff that offense, you're just plain nuts, IMHO. Wish I could watch Wofford some more on TV. A Wofford EWU matchup would be a fantastic contrast of unstoppable running and unstoppable passing.

URMite
November 26th, 2007, 04:31 PM
xlolx xlolx If Gannonfan thinks Richmond won't be troubled by the Wofford offense, he needs to lay off whatever he's smoking. Damn right it troubled Montana, but the Griz still held them under their scoring average. I wonder what the chances are Richmond can hold Wofford to 23 points or less? Slim to none, I'd guess. You can beat Wofford by outscoring them (UM had their chances and fell one missed kick short), and Richmond could too, but if you think you're going to stuff that offense, you're just plain nuts, IMHO. Wish I could watch Wofford some more on TV. A Wofford EWU matchup would be a fantastic contrast of unstoppable running and unstoppable passing.

I'm not entirely convinced of that. I'm fully expected a lot of 7 1/2 - 8 minute drives on both sides of the ball. If that's the case then holding Wofford to 23 is not out of the question (and may not help).

What I'd like to know is how Elon won the TOP and held the Terriers to such a low score!

What I'd also like to ask the Griz now that they have seen Wofford, Are most of the plays close to the sideline? Is the misdirection early or late in the play?

blueballs
November 26th, 2007, 04:44 PM
I'm not entirely convinced of that. I'm fully expected a lot of 7 1/2 - 8 minute drives on both sides of the ball. If that's the case then holding Wofford to 23 is not out of the question (and may not help).

What I'd like to know is how Elon won the TOP and held the Terriers to such a low score!

What I'd also like to ask the Griz now that they have seen Wofford, Are most of the plays close to the sideline? Is the misdirection early or late in the play?

Good possession passing game, Riddle and Hudgins are really good, and Elons LB's were among the best in the country when healthy.

mvemjsunpx
November 26th, 2007, 05:00 PM
As long as Richmond gameplans the option better than Montana did (which shouldn't be too hard), the Spiders will win. I don't think Wofford will be able to stop Tim Hightower, so they're going to need to score. The Terriers will need a stellar homefield advantage Saturday to win this game.

srgrizizen
November 26th, 2007, 05:07 PM

Well, of course you might be right. I thought the main problem for the Griz was how fast Wofford got to the corner (some of their "pitches" are 10 - 12 yards wide) and how well they blocked on the perimeter. UM is not bad at stringing a play out to the sideline, but Wofford was able to cut it up inside and/or block the outside guy pretty effectively. In my opinion, they have a very good but not great defense, so you have to concentrate on taking advantage of every scoring opportunity and not settle for FGs like we did. I have no idea who'll win, not having seen Richmond, but I think Wofford will score. If you bring everybody up to stop the run, the QB can throw well enough to burn you. Good luck to both of you. At least you're still playing.xthumbsupx

Eight Legger
November 26th, 2007, 05:16 PM
I feel we will succeed where Montana failed for a few reasons -- chief among them the fact that we simply played a much harder schedule than Montana and will not be surprised by how good Wofford is. We know how tough it is to go to Montana and win (we got smoked there a few years back in Round Two), but at the same time, talent on the field usually determines the winner. I think Wofford is better than Montana and proved it. The crowd probably kept that game closer than it would have been elsewhere.

I personally think we played a tougher schedule than Wofford too, and we won two huge road games against top-10 teams.

Also having seen two option offenses (granted, much worse than we will see this week) will be helpful since we've already schemed for that style.

I doubt we'll be bothered by being on the road -- we have been solid there all year long when it mattered most. I predict a 7-point win for UR, but I won't be surprised if we lose either -- I'm just arguing our side of things here.

T-Dogg
November 26th, 2007, 05:50 PM
This game will be all about turnovers or the lack of turnovers. Richmond appears to be well rounded and strong. Wofford just needs to hold on to the ball. I can not wait to see it.......

AppGirl
November 26th, 2007, 07:14 PM
This ought to be a great game. There is even a small group of us that are thinking about driving down from Boone after our game at noon, to support our SoCon bretheren for the evening game. After all, we'll all be in black and gold!

Go App!
Go Wofford!
Go SoCon!

terrierbob
November 26th, 2007, 07:23 PM

Four turnovers helped.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 26th, 2007, 07:37 PM
This ought to be a great game. There is even a small group of us that are thinking about driving down from Boone after our game at noon, to support our SoCon bretheren for the evening game. After all, we'll all be in black and gold!

Go App!
Go Wofford!
Go SoCon!

Oh yeah? I am hearing rumors that some of the Eastern Washington fans are coming down to support us!

WyomingGrizFan
November 26th, 2007, 08:13 PM

What you could do is watch the entire game on Griz Re-wind and decide for yourself:

http://www.montanasnewsstation.com/Global/category.asp?C=84452&nav=menu227_10_17

...scroll down to 'Top Videos' near the middle of the page and watch the entire game one quarter at a time.

james_lawfirm
November 26th, 2007, 08:59 PM

I do not agree at all that you don't need to have seen the option to defend it. The version of the option Wofford runs (they call it the wingbone) is tough to defend. Period. They run the same motion, play after play, and often the only difference is which of the six non-OL players gets the ball. Instead of big, fat fullbacks who will bowl you over, Wofford runs small, quick, and very fast players in their option.

It seems to me that even if the D can see who has the ball (and that becomes harder and harder) they usually overrun the play or they don't move to the ball fast enough. The D must stay home and play their position, else the O runs right past them.

Anyone who thinks this is just a high school version of the option has not seen Wofford's version.

If Richmond can defend the option run and force Wofford to pass, then maybe they have a chance. But even that is questionable as Wofford can pass if they must. The key for Richmond is to wind up in as many 3rd and long situations as possible. But be warned, just because its 4th and long, don't assume Coach Ayers will punt. He might, and he might not.

One more comment. I hope both ASU and Wofford win this Saturday, setting up a re-match in Boone the following Saturday. It's hard to beat the same team twice in a season. Unfortunately, Wofford is pretty darn good, so we'll see.

james_lawfirm
November 26th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Oh yeah? I am hearing rumors that some of the Eastern Washington fans are coming down to support us!

Big House:

I think App Girl was serious. ASU game at 12:00. Wofford game at 7:00. 2 hour drive. It can be done.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 26th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Big House:

I think App Girl was serious. ASU game at 12:00. Wofford game at 7:00. 2 hour drive. It can be done.

I get it. I am just humored by all the SoCon belly scratching. I have read about folks from Furman, Citadel and ASU coming to the game now. Anyone from Western Carolina, Elon ... whoever else is in there?

I think defending the Wofford Flexbone won't be nearly as confusing as looking at all the different colors in the stands and trying to figure out who we're playing!

GoldandBlack
November 26th, 2007, 10:17 PM
I get it. I am just humored by all the SoCon belly scratching. I have read about folks from Furman, Citadel and ASU coming to the game now. Anyone from Western Carolina, Elon ... whoever else is in there?

I think defending the Wofford Flexbone won't be nearly as confusing as looking at all the different colors in the stands and trying to figure out who we're playing!

What- CAA members don't support each other in the playoffs?

xwhistlex

gophoenix
November 26th, 2007, 10:19 PM

I'm driving to the game mainly because, well, I like football and this is the SoCon and what else am I going to do...

Sir William
November 26th, 2007, 10:41 PM

Go App!
Go Wofford!
Go SoCon!

I'll be there too. Go Wofford!

DTSpider
November 26th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Hope to see a good crowd. There will be a number of us from UR making the trip.

terrierbob
November 26th, 2007, 10:50 PM
I'm driving to the game mainly because, well, I like football and this is the SoCon and what else am I going to do...

When y'all make the playoffs next year we'll be pulling for the Fightin' Chri (sorry) Phoenix!

spdram
November 27th, 2007, 07:28 AM
I've been watching the Wofford v Montana film and I must admit the Wofford wingbone is impressive. But the UR D is much faster than the Montana D and we have played the option several times this year, we understand assignment football. Montana's coach and their announcers kept saying they haven't seen the option since 1999. I was also very impresed with the Wofford O line, they could push and move from side to side very well. I also thought they did a good job of not signaling the play. The QB is great, the way he runs the O is impressive. I felt the Wofford pass D was suspect (maybe that explains the Elon win). I thought overall the D over pursued which leaves openings, but I also felt they were quick and tackled well. A very good football team!

I would not be surprised to see UR come out passing to set up Hightower and Vaughan, just the reverse of our normal plan. Our TE's could have career days, and they are good! Terriers be ready on special teams there were alot of open lanes for us to exploit. Be ready to defend us on 4 downs, look at our 3rd and 4th down conversion rates this season.

It's going to be a great game, can't wait for Saturday!

APPride
November 27th, 2007, 07:54 AM

Go App!
Go Wofford!
Go SoCon!

AppGirl, if we win, I'm going cause Lord knows my son & I will be so hyper (jacked up actually, but your every bit a lady :) ) that we will definately want to keep it going all night!

appstate38
November 27th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Given the ground attack from both teams. This game should only take about an hour and a half to get done. Sorry Spiders, I have to be a SoCon Homer and say Go Dogs!

Tribe4SF
November 27th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Nope. We're the underdogs. Don't try to snake that away from us. ;)

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Check the poll thread on second round choices. Wofford with 71%. Only bigger favorite is ASU. Coulson will pick Wofford as well.

Eight Legger
November 27th, 2007, 10:24 AM
I think we like being underdogs. Really, of the four home fields in play this week, I think we drew the one that will be the least overwhelming from an intimdiation/noise factor. If Wofford had a dome or some other big advantage, that could help, but I think this game will be decided solely on who plays the best, so I like our odds.

Black Saturday
November 27th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Given the ground attack from both teams. This game should only take about an hour and a half to get done. Sorry Spiders, I have to be a SoCon Homer and say Go Dogs!

Speaking of Dogs

The Spiders will think that 'BAD NEWZ' has gotten ahold of 'em.xlolx

Black Saturday
November 27th, 2007, 11:46 AM
I think we like being underdogs. Really, of the four home fields in play this week, I think we drew the one that will be the least overwhelming from an intimdiation/noise factor. If Wofford had a dome or some other big advantage, that could help, but I think this game will be decided solely on who plays the best, so I like our odds.

UR will be playing at where some of us call THE MORGUE, you may actually be able to hear crickets chirp and the grass grow if it was a few months earlier. Nice and quiet.

tdoggs22
November 27th, 2007, 12:42 PM
i thnk a lot of people are confusing our scheme with traditional option playbooks. 4 years ago, we would play teams directly behind Ga. Southern in conference play, and although they saw the option the week before, it was still hard to stop. Our blocking up front insnt the traditional scoop blocking that Navy, Ga. Southern, and Air Force implement. Our guards are extremely active and do a lot of pulling within the tackle box. Our entire o-line doesnt scream upfield trying to get to the next level. Theres a lot of people going different directions inside and its hard for LBs to get a feel. Not saying it is unstoppable, but dont kid urselves in saying one option is the same as all the others. Generalizing the Wofford offense is a bad idea. When it fails, its UGLY, but when it works, its a masterpiece.

On the perimeter, it is very similar. You have the QB and the HB running downhill at the pitch-key. If theres a leak and another DB is there, the play is spilled. That aspect of the option is constant. Its before you see the QB pop-out with the ball where we differ from others.

I hear that UR has played option offenses, but how many successfull option offenses have they faced!??

Montana did a good job adjusting and allowing their safeties to run the allies. From what i hear, UR plays a 4-3 cover 3, and doesnt rotate coverage or bounce LBs. Schematically, this D cant work. The weak side with no SS is too vulnerable.

GreatAppSt
November 27th, 2007, 12:45 PM
I've been watching the Wofford v Montana film and I must admit the Wofford wingbone is impressive. But the UR D is much faster than the Montana D and we have played the option several times this year, we understand assignment football. Montana's coach and their announcers kept saying they haven't seen the option since 1999. I was also very impresed with the Wofford O line, they could push and move from side to side very well. I also thought they did a good job of not signaling the play. The QB is great, the way he runs the O is impressive. I felt the Wofford pass D was suspect (maybe that explains the Elon win). I thought overall the D over pursued which leaves openings, but I also felt they were quick and tackled well. A very good football team!

I would not be surprised to see UR come out passing to set up Hightower and Vaughan, just the reverse of our normal plan. Our TE's could have career days, and they are good! Terriers be ready on special teams there were alot of open lanes for us to exploit. Be ready to defend us on 4 downs, look at our 3rd and 4th down conversion rates this season.

It's going to be a great game, can't wait for Saturday!

TICK

TICK

TICK

TICK

xsmiley_wix

GannonFan
November 27th, 2007, 12:49 PM
i thnk a lot of people are confusing our scheme with traditional option playbooks. 4 years ago, we would play teams directly behind Ga. Southern in conference play, and although they saw the option the week before, it was still hard to stop. Our blocking up front insnt the traditional scoop blocking that Navy, Ga. Southern, and Air Force implement. Our guards are extremely active and do a lot of pulling within the tackle box. Our entire o-line doesnt scream upfield trying to get to the next level. Theres a lot of people going different directions inside and its hard for LBs to get a feel. Not saying it is unstoppable, but dont kid urselves in saying one option is the same as all the others. Generalizing the Wofford offense is a bad idea. When it fails, its UGLY, but when it works, its a masterpiece.

On the perimeter, it is very similar. You have the QB and the HB running downhill at the pitch-key. If theres a leak and another DB is there, the play is spilled. That aspect of the option is constant. Its before you see the QB pop-out with the ball where we differ from others.

I hear that UR has played option offenses, but how many successfull option offenses have they faced!??

Montana did a good job adjusting and allowing their safeties to run the allies. From what i hear, UR plays a 4-3 cover 3, and doesnt rotate coverage or bounce LBs. Schematically, this D cant work. The weak side with no SS is too vulnerable.

UD faced option teams like URI and Navy in '03, plus had run a Wing-T just 2 years before, and they adapted to the wingbone pretty easily. Richmond's had even more exposure to options this year, granted none as well executed as Wofford's, so I think they'll be fine. However you run it, it's still assignment football. If Wofford wins, it will be because they won the one-on-one battles - they won't win because Richmond can't read the offense.

terrierbob
November 27th, 2007, 01:27 PM
UD faced option teams like URI and Navy in '03, plus had run a Wing-T just 2 years before, and they adapted to the wingbone pretty easily. Richmond's had even more exposure to options this year, granted none as well executed as Wofford's, so I think they'll be fine. However you run it, it's still assignment football. If Wofford wins, it will be because they won the one-on-one battles - they won't win because Richmond can't read the offense.

It is going to be fun to see who's right. xchinscratchx

PS: I believe this team is much faster and more explosive than the '03 team you defeated in the semis. A split second to the corners is all we need. The blocking's been close to perfect at times. Can't tackle if you're on the turf.

LacesOut
November 27th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Lets go Spidah's!!!!!!!

/got nuthin' else....

tdoggs22
November 27th, 2007, 02:39 PM

I highly doubt wofford will win many of the one-on-one battles. We are small and usually weaker than most teams we play. I dont know why, we just cant seem to get the big, burly o-lineman recruits.

I think you totally missed the point of my previous post. Although you have been exposed to option teams, doesnt mean you can read our offense right away. Ask anyone who has played us and theyll tell u we run things differently than most option teams. Our scheme works on some, others have a defensive scheme that is just as effective if not more.

All i am saying is that if the Spider D stays in 4-3 cover 3, and doesnt adjust, it will be a good day to be a Terrier. I played in the offense, and one thing that stands out to me is that teams have trouble stopping us in that D when they dont bounce backers with motion or rotate safeties to the weak side when we motion that way. Im sure the staff there has already addressed that and has a gameplan in place. It should be an awesome game as i hear Richmond has a stellar RB in Hightower.

Tribe4SF
November 27th, 2007, 02:56 PM
[/B]

I highly doubt wofford will win many of the one-on-one battles. We are small and usually weaker than most teams we play. I dont know why, we just cant seem to get the big, burly o-lineman recruits.

I think you totally missed the point of my previous post. Although you have been exposed to option teams, doesnt mean you can read our offense right away. Ask anyone who has played us and theyll tell u we run things differently than most option teams. Our scheme works on some, others have a defensive scheme that is just as effective if not more.

All i am saying is that if the Spider D stays in 4-3 cover 3, and doesnt adjust, it will be a good day to be a Terrier. I played in the offense, and one thing that stands out to me is that teams have trouble stopping us in that D when they dont bounce backers with motion or rotate safeties to the weak side when we motion that way. Im sure the staff there has already addressed that and has a gameplan in place. It should be an awesome game as i hear Richmond has a stellar RB in Hightower.

Richmond has TWO stellar RBs in Hightower and Vaughn. Vaughn had an incredible 40 yard TD run against EKU, and took over for the injured Hightower the week before against W&M. If you aren't paying close attention, it's easy to confuse them. One is #32 and the other #22, and when they start breaking tackles in the second level they look identical. Vaughn is actually a little bigger at 235. They benefit from a stellar FB named Crone, who is a ferocious blocker, and also catches the ball well. This is as good a power backfield as I've seen in FCS. Reminiscent of JMU's Fenner and Banks in 2004.

tdoggs22
November 27th, 2007, 03:15 PM
sounds impressive. Gladly for us, we are decent against the run. We really struggle when teams air it out.

I dont feel confident we can slow their run run game, but i am comfortable that we can control it. We have some crazy idiots on that side of the ball that arent that smart (believe it or not at wofford), but will drive their forehead through a concrete pillar if necessary. I think well be ok... i think.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 27th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Josh Vaughn running downhill is more fortified than a concrete pillar. They could be in trouble.

Sir William
November 27th, 2007, 04:02 PM
I've been watching the Wofford v Montana film and I must admit the Wofford wingbone is impressive. But the UR D is much faster than the Montana D...

So is App State. Ask them about September 22 in Spartanburg. xsmiley_wix

RazorEdge19
November 27th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Josh Vaughn running downhill is more fortified than a concrete pillar. They could be in trouble.

Montana said that about Lex Hilliard, and look what happened to him.

james_lawfirm
November 27th, 2007, 06:48 PM

GREAT POST!!! I've been trying to say the same thing, ever since I saw the game at Wofford this year.

Wofford's version of the option is unique and apt to leave a DC completely flustered.

Having said that, I hope for a re-match in Boone in couple of weeks. I am sure the Apps would LOVE another crack at that wingbone.

Eight Legger
November 27th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Well, after reading all of this, I am now convinced that we have no hope of stopping this offense. It's likely that we will give up 50 or 60 points Saturday, maybe more if we decide to come back out for the second half. It's a shame too, because we've had such a great season. . .

tdoggs22
November 27th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Well, after reading all of this, I am now convinced that we have no hope of stopping this offense. It's likely that we will give up 50 or 60 points Saturday, maybe more if we decide to come back out for the second half. It's a shame too, because we've had such a great season. . .

dont get down on ur team so early. its only tuesday, and there is plenty of time for the UR coaches to formulate a gameplan.

Its not that our offense is unstoppable, because it is prone to having turnovers with all the directional ball handling. There are seondary exchanges on the perimeter which is always tricky.

However, if our offense executes, it is very enjoyable for any true football fan to watch. Todays version of football has adopted three primary offensive schemes: pro-style, west-coast, run 'n' shoot (urban meyer). It is cool to watch the old school triple option every once in while since most teams have scratched it from the playbook.

I just hope you can get your spirits up before saturday, because it would be good to see a full house on saturday. The Spiders will put on a good show im sure.

DTSpider
November 27th, 2007, 08:54 PM
I'm really excited to see Wofford on Saturday in person. UR fans are familiar with the option having run it under Jim Reid. Granted, all options are different, but I love the concepts and agree that Wofford will score points. UR has been pretty balanced all year when necessary. Hightower is definitely a much better back than Vaughan, but Vaughan has really improved the last 4 or 5 weeks. UR could have a huge bonus in Arman Shields if he is ready to go. That would give UR 2 legitimate threats on the outside to go with the running attack.

I see this as a 34-31 type of game with some major swings in scoring. I haven't seen enough of Wofford's special teams, but UR's unit has been very good this year contributing 5 TDs and numerous short field chances. I think that could be the difference in a game where both teams will move the ball.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 27th, 2007, 08:57 PM
dont get down on ur team so early. its only tuesday, and there is plenty of time for the UR coaches to formulate a gameplan.

Its not that our offense is unstoppable, because it is prone to having turnovers with all the directional ball handling. There are seondary exchanges on the perimeter which is always tricky.

However, if our offense executes, it is very enjoyable for any true football fan to watch. Todays version of football has adopted three primary offensive schemes: pro-style, west-coast, run 'n' shoot (urban meyer). It is cool to watch the old school triple option every once in while since most teams have scratched it from the playbook.

I just hope you can get your spirits up before saturday, because it would be good to see a full house on saturday. The Spiders will put on a good show im sure.

I'm convinced we don't have a chance either ... and think I'll just stay at home too.

terrierbob
November 27th, 2007, 09:10 PM
I'm really excited to see Wofford on Saturday in person. UR fans are familiar with the option having run it under Jim Reid. Granted, all options are different, but I love the concepts and agree that Wofford will score points. UR has been pretty balanced all year when necessary. Hightower is definitely a much better back than Vaughan, but Vaughan has really improved the last 4 or 5 weeks. UR could have a huge bonus in Arman Shields if he is ready to go. That would give UR 2 legitimate threats on the outside to go with the running attack.

I see this as a 34-31 type of game with some major swings in scoring. I haven't seen enough of Wofford's special teams, but UR's unit has been very good this year contributing 5 TDs and numerous short field chances. I think that could be the difference in a game where both teams will move the ball.

Our special team return coverage almost cost us the game.

terrierbob
November 27th, 2007, 09:11 PM
I'm convinced we don't have a chance either ... and think I'll just stay at home too.

Someone missed the tounge in cheek, as well. :D

terrierbob
November 27th, 2007, 09:13 PM

The only way we contained Hilliard was gang-tackling. The back that killed us, this year, was the amazing, elusive Jason Foster.

alexale23
November 27th, 2007, 09:25 PM
This will be a greAT game any1 know the spread

Nebuta
November 27th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Dont know the spread, but I like Richmond by 5. I think Hightower and company will be hard to stop.

alexale23
November 27th, 2007, 09:35 PM
I think wofford will be the fav by 3. I dont see how RICHMOND could be playing on the road

terrierbob
November 27th, 2007, 09:47 PM
I think wofford will be the fav by 3. I dont see how RICHMOND could be playing on the road

May have been a big chunk given by one of our alums. Listening to the radio broadcast, I inferred that the long-assed trip to Montana seemed to figure in re: the effect it may have had on the kids.

alexale23
November 27th, 2007, 09:53 PM
SOrry meant to say I dont know how rich could be a favorite on the road. Socon Champs do deserve a home game

mvemjsunpx
November 27th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Montana said that about Lex Hilliard, and look what happened to him.

He gained 119 yards, more than he's averaged on the season?

Seriously though, I think the Terriers will have a lot of trouble with Tim Hightower.

Zoo
November 27th, 2007, 10:26 PM
What do some of you guys see for the score of this matchup?

terrierbob
November 27th, 2007, 10:32 PM
He gained 119 yards, more than he's averaged on the season?

Seriously though, I think the Terriers will have a lot of trouble with Tim Hightower.

Like the old cliche', we couldn't stop him, we contained him.

terrierbob
November 27th, 2007, 10:34 PM
What do some of you guys see for the score of this matchup?

45-38 WC (Homer, I know)

Hey- we probably underestimate Hightower and your run defense, you underestimate the uniqueness of our version of the triple option.

I think it's the toughest one to call out of the four games.

GreatAppSt
November 27th, 2007, 11:26 PM

You Sir win the first "Woe is me post"xrolleyesx for a spider fan this post season.:D Different year, different newbs, same posts. xlolx xlolx

A close second place.

Eight Legger
November 28th, 2007, 09:27 AM
You Sir win the first "Woe is me post"xrolleyesx for a spider fan this post season.:D Different year, different newbs, same posts. xlolx xlolx

No one understands sarcasm on this board, apparently. . .

terrierbob
November 28th, 2007, 09:51 AM
No one understands sarcasm on this board, apparently. . .

"Oh, ho, ho, irony! Oh, no, no, we don't get that here. See, uh, people ski topless here while smoking dope, so irony's not really a, a high priority. We haven't had any irony here since about, uh, '83, when I was the only practitioner of it".

Steve Martin's character C.B. Bales in Roxanne

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

bamamountaineer1013
November 28th, 2007, 10:53 AM
After talking to a few of my friends who attended WoCo, and they are pretty sure that even their offense doesn't know the offensive scheme they run, which is how they are able to confuse other defenses so easily.

j/k good luck guys I'll be rooting for ya...

james_lawfirm
November 28th, 2007, 11:05 AM
After talking to a few of my friends who attended WoCo, and they are pretty sure that even their offense doesn't know the offensive scheme they run, which is how they are able to confuse other defenses so easily.

j/k good luck guys I'll be rooting for ya...

Now, if that's not the truth, I'm not here.

GreatAppSt
November 28th, 2007, 11:22 AM
No one understands sarcasm on this board, apparently. . . And someone checked his sense of humor at the login screen.
You have 0 trackrecord here to go by, my friend.;) It takes more than 20 posts to get a read on folks. xthumbsupx Don't worry some Griz newbs recieved these same awards last week. The cyclic nature of the same (almost verbatim content) posts every playoff season by newbs is what makes it entertaining for us old farts.:D

terrierbob
November 28th, 2007, 12:02 PM
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0WTb_76rE1HiiQAqW.jzbkF/SIG=12ag2ac40/EXP=1196359290/**http%3A//www.homevideos.com/freezeframes8/Roxanne15.jpegI still like my Steve Martin quote.

Yosef92
November 28th, 2007, 01:10 PM
The Woffy option is something that has to be experienced. I really enjoy watching it, although I liked GaSouthern's version better. Wofford is going to move the ball, and if they get ahead or stay even, it's going to be a long frustrating afternoon for UR. UR's O needs to be ready to go from the outset. Score first, and build some sort of lead.

Wofford 28 UR 24 (Richmond scores 10 in the 4th)

Eight Legger
November 28th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Hey if Elon can hold them to 13 points at Wofford, I will gladly take our chances with them there. If they hang 40 on us, more power to them -- they will have earned it.

bosshogg
November 28th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Don't know if this was already posted. if so, my apologies. Bulldog fans think its great! Good luck saturday. Go Terriers!

Marching 101 Band to perform in NYC and on ESPN, Dec. 1 Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Band to perform simultaneously at NCAA FCS playoff game and Big Apple Classic basketball tournament

ORANGEBURG – The football season may have concluded for the SC State Bulldogs, but the University’s world-renowned Marching 101 Band is marching straight on to a few post-season appearances this weekend, including a NCAA FCSS playoff contest and a competition at Madison Square Garden.

The Marching 101 Band will perform on Saturday, Dec. 1, NCAA FCS playoff contest between the Wofford College Terriers and the University of Richmond Spiders. Kickoff for the game is slated for 7 p.m. and the game will be televised live on ESPN GamePlan..............

Terrier fans, you guys are always welcome at our place! Come join us in the SCState "Dog House" message board. The thread where we are just starting to discuss the band travelling up to your place can be found here!
http://www.scstatedoghouse.proboards100.com/index.cgi?board=101&action=display&thread=1196279605&page=1#1196279729

Ivytalk
November 28th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Which school has more preppies? I'm for them!xcoolx

:p

Tribe4SF
November 28th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Which school has more preppies? I'm for them!xcoolx

:p

That would be Richmond...hands down.:D

citdog
November 28th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Don't know if this was already posted. if so, my apologies. Bulldog fans think its great! Good luck saturday. Go Terriers!

Marching 101 Band to perform in NYC and on ESPN, Dec. 1 Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Band to perform simultaneously at NCAA FCS playoff game and Big Apple Classic basketball tournament

ORANGEBURG – The football season may have concluded for the SC State Bulldogs, but the University’s world-renowned Marching 101 Band is marching straight on to a few post-season appearances this weekend, including a NCAA FCSS playoff contest and a competition at Madison Square Garden.

The Marching 101 Band will perform on Saturday, Dec. 1, NCAA FCS playoff contest between the Wofford College Terriers and the University of Richmond Spiders. Kickoff for the game is slated for 7 p.m. and the game will be televised live on ESPN GamePlan..............

Terrier fans, you guys are always welcome at our place! Come join us in the SCState "Dog House" message board. The thread where we are just starting to discuss the band travelling up to your place can be found here!
http://www.scstatedoghouse.proboards100.com/index.cgi?board=101&action=display&thread=1196279605&page=1#1196279729

THERE ARE ONLY ONE REAL BULLDOGS IN SOUTH CAROLINA. THE CITADEL, THE MILITARY COLLEGE OF SOUTH CAROLINA! ALL THE REST ARE FACSIMILIES THEREOF

Tribe4SF
November 28th, 2007, 08:12 PM
THERE ARE ONLY ONE REAL BULLDOGS IN SOUTH CAROLINA. THE CITADEL, THE MILITARY COLLEGE OF SOUTH CAROLINA! ALL THE REST ARE FACSIMILIES THEREOF

Dog....put your hearing aid back in.

terrierbob
November 28th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Someone did a nice, concise summary of all of the TV stations the App State/EWU game is on. Any idea about our little set-to?