PDA

View Full Version : HBCU National Championship -- Who Is It?

TexasTerror
November 24th, 2007, 09:28 PM
Grambling lost to Southern...
Delaware St got slammed by Delaware...

Will it be Tuskegee? They are undefeated at 11-0. Or could Southern, with the win over Grambling, hop them all? A non-SWAC title game participant with the crown? Or could Grambling move up with a win over Jackson St in "Gramblingham"...?

Heading into this week...

1. Delaware State Hornets (22) 10-1 262 1
2. Tuskegee Golden Tigers (4) 10-0 216 2
3. Grambling State Tigers (4) 8-2 190 3
4. Norfolk State Spartans 8-3 148 6
5. Southern Jaguars 7-3 124 7
6. South Carolina State Bulldogs 7-4 91 8
7. Virginia Union Panthers 9-2 67 10
8. Prairie View A&M Panthers 7-3 56 NR
9. Albany State Rams 8-3 45 4
10. Alabama A&M Bulldogs 8-3 41 5
Others receiving votes (in order of points): Jackson State 38, Shaw 26, Winston-Salem State 23, Fort Valley State 19, North Carolina Central 14.

TexasTerror
November 26th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Just released...it may end up being Tuskegee...

Sheridan Broadcasting Network Black College Football Poll
Team (First-place votes) Record Points Previous Rank
1. Tuskegee Golden Tigers (28) 11-0 289 2
2. Delaware State Hornets (2) 10-2 206 1
3. Southern Jaguars 8-3 183 5
4. Norfolk State Spartans 8-3 167 4
5. Grambling State Tigers 8-3 122 3
6. South Carolina State Bulldogs 7-4 91 6
7. Virginia Union Panthers 9-2 68 7
8. Prairie View A&M Panthers 7-3 56 8
9. Albany State Rams 8-3 45 9
10. Alabama A&M Bulldogs 8-3 41 10
Others receiving votes (in order of points): Jackson State 38, Shaw 26, Winston-Salem State 23, Fort Valley State 19, North Carolina Central 14

unicat87
November 26th, 2007, 09:35 PM
When is the final HBCU poll released? -unicat87

GeauxColonels
November 26th, 2007, 10:11 PM
I can see it being Tuskeegee since they are unbeaten. But I think it's really hard to tell how they would stack up against a team like Grambling or Southern.

SU Jag
November 26th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Tuskegee.......they played their worst game of the season on Thursday and still beat Bama State to put them over 600 wins which makes the the winningest HBCU. Tuskegee is very solid, they can beat Grambling or DSU.

GeauxColonels
November 26th, 2007, 11:06 PM
Delaware State didn't show me anything in the playoff game. I was highly unimpressed. The same with Grambling State, but you really never know with the rivalry games.

mikebigg
November 27th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Delaware State didn't show me anything in the playoff game. I was highly unimpressed. The same with Grambling State, but you really never know with the rivalry games.

To be honest, Grambling overachieved this year in my opinion. Despite last year's 3-8 record, that team had more overall talent.

FCS Preview
November 27th, 2007, 09:39 AM
When is the final HBCU poll released? -unicat87
Probably December 17/18, after the SWAC Championship Game (12/15)

813Jag
November 27th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Don't forget Tuskegee still has the Pioneer Bowl this weekend.

HIU 93
November 27th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Don't forget Tuskegee still has the Pioneer Bowl this weekend.

Which they will win easily. I am a CIAA fan, but the CIAA has no one that can compete against TU this year.

3rd Coast Tiger
November 27th, 2007, 12:53 PM
I gotta go with Tuskegee this year.

I love that school! So much tradition!

TexasTerror
November 27th, 2007, 01:57 PM
The HBCU national title is similar to that of the FBS title...

No on the field game to determine the champion, but I do like how a Div II team can be the champion!

dgreco
November 27th, 2007, 01:59 PM
I would say Tuskegee. They played a hell of season, and if they were in the playoffs they would of been a team to make it far this year.

DetroitFlyer
November 27th, 2007, 02:58 PM
A Division II team.... What's next, Grand Valley State being voted #1 in the final FCS polls? I understand that this is an HBCU thing, but this would not fly in any other segment of college football.... Kind of a weird quirk in the world of college football....

WileECoyote06
November 27th, 2007, 03:07 PM
A Division II team.... What's next, Grand Valley State being voted #1 in the final FCS polls? I understand that this is an HBCU thing, but this would not fly in any other segment of college football.... Kind of a weird quirk in the world of college football....

Yeah, but hey at least a team gets additional recognition for a successful season. Especially when it comes from among those who do not participate in the playoffs.

2006 BCF Champions North Carolina Central University

2007 FCS whipping boys. . xnonono2x

FCS Preview
November 27th, 2007, 03:15 PM
They beat Alabama State last weekend...

People here complain that the MEAC (for example) is a weak conference. So is a very good D-II conference equal to or better than a weak FCS conference? Or could a very good D-II school be better than an FCS one? I'm sure Grand Valley State and Chadron could beat a bunch of FCS teams regularly. Probably not the top ones from the SoCon, CAA, Gateway, Big Sky...but Indiana State? Almost definitely.

DSUHornet
November 27th, 2007, 03:19 PM
where does tuskegee play? (division, conference etc...)

FCS Preview
November 27th, 2007, 03:23 PM
where does tuskegee play? (division, conference etc...)
D-II, SIAC

Ud1Hens
November 27th, 2007, 03:25 PM
If they gave it to a DII school that would be a joke. Delaware St. deserves it without a doubt. Yeah they got crushed by Delaware but atleast they were in a real Playoff

3rd Coast Tiger
November 27th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Well TT,

You got what you asked for. xthumbsupx

Mr. Tiger
November 27th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Tuskegee might be undefeated but they struggled to beat a very average 5-6 Alabama State team. Of course, it is a rivalry game. But I think there are several SWAC teams that could beat Tuskegee, including JSU, Alabama A&M, Prairie View, Southern, and Grambling.

DSUHornet
November 27th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Tuskegee.......they played their worst game of the season on Thursday and still beat Bama State to put them over 600 wins which makes the the winningest HBCU. Tuskegee is very solid, they can beat Grambling or DSU.

did you type that with a straight face?

FCS Preview
November 27th, 2007, 03:31 PM
If they gave it to a DII school that would be a joke. Delaware St. deserves it without a doubt. Yeah they got crushed by Delaware but atleast they were in a real Playoff
Tuskegee won it in 2000. NC Central won it last year.

WileECoyote06
November 27th, 2007, 03:34 PM
They beat Alabama State last weekend...

People here complain that the MEAC (for example) is a weak conference. So is a very good D-II conference equal to or better than a weak FCS conference? Or could a very good D-II school be better than an FCS one? I'm sure Grand Valley State and Chadron could beat a bunch of FCS teams regularly. Probably not the top ones from the SoCon, CAA, Gateway, Big Sky...but Indiana State? Almost definitely.

There are several division II teams that can compete with and beat most FCS teams

North Dakota beat UNI at home last year
NCCU (DII at the time) beat Southern in Baton Rouge last year
Chadron State beat Montana State in 2006
Delta State beat Jackson State at home in 2007
Carson-Newman beat UTC at home in 2007
Tuskegee regularly beats Alabama State

There are plenty of other examples as well.

However, I don't think there are ANY division II conferences that are stronger than a scholarship FCS conference.

R.A.
November 27th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Tuskegee ducks their own DII playoff almost each season... then they refuse to move up into the SWAC to play a more competitive schedule.

SU Jag
November 27th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Tuskegee ducks their own DII playoff almost each season... then they refuse to move up into the SWAC to play a more competitive schedule.

Tuskegee plays in the oldest HBCU classic against Alabama State. Thats they dont go to the play-offs. You should know that.xnonono2x

DSUHornet
November 27th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Tuskegee plays in the oldest HBCU classic against Alabama State. Thats they dont go to the play-offs. You should know that.xnonono2x

i know. it has absolutely nothing to do with fear of getting exploited for the pigskin that they really play xeyebrowx

SU Jag
November 27th, 2007, 06:34 PM
In 2003 and 2004 Tuskegee beat the SWAC EASTERN Division champs, hell they beat the conference Champs in 04. Last season towards the end of the season they were playing better than anyone. Who does DSU play outside the MEAC?

DSUHornet
November 28th, 2007, 09:39 AM
In 2003 and 2004 Tuskegee beat the SWAC EASTERN Division champs, hell they beat the conference Champs in 04. Last season towards the end of the season they were playing better than anyone. Who does DSU play outside the MEAC?

we crushed coastal this yearxnodx