PDA

View Full Version : Early Predictions on Conference preseason polls

McCowboys
June 21st, 2023, 06:50 PM
I am just wondering how everyone thinks their conference will place teams in its preseason poll.

Here is my take on the Southland Conference as to what the preseason SLC poll may be:

1. Southeastern Louisiana
2. UIW
3. Nicholls
4. McNeese
5. Northwestern State
6. HCU
7. A&M-Commerce
8. Lamar

However, I really think Nicholls should be preseason favorites. They took lumps last year with a young team, but have a veteran crew this season.
So I would go

1. Nicholls
2. SLU
3. UIW
Any of those three could take the crown and all three should be contenders for the playoffs.
4. McNeese under second year Goff has upgraded its squad and should have much better quarterback play. How soon will they gel?
5. NSU's Coach Laird is on the hot seat. Demons are always dangerous.
6-8. These teams could be interchanged. All have new head coaches. So does UIW for that matter (all four SLC Texas schools have new head coaches), but UIW was a promotion, and so I don't see a big drop off.

How do you see your conference?

lionsrking2
June 21st, 2023, 07:17 PM
I am just wondering how everyone thinks their conference will place teams in its preseason poll.

Here is my take on the Southland Conference as to what the preseason SLC poll may be:

2. UIW
3. Nicholls
4. McNeese
5. Northwestern State
6. HCU
7. A&M-Commerce
8. Lamar

However, I really think Nicholls should be preseason favorites. They took lumps last year with a young team, but have a veteran crew this season.
So I would go

1. Nicholls
2. SLU
3. UIW
Any of those three could take the crown and all three should be contenders for the playoffs.
4. McNeese under second year Goff has upgraded its squad and should have much better quarterback play. How soon will they gel?
6-8. These teams could be interchanged. All have new head coaches. So does UIW for that matter (all four SLC Texas schools have new head coaches), but UIW was a promotion, and so I don't see a big drop off.

No on Nicholls. They could have another rough year.

McCowboys
June 21st, 2023, 07:23 PM
No on Nicholls. They could have another rough year.

That would be fine with me. How do you think things will shape up?

DFW HOYA
June 21st, 2023, 07:28 PM
Patriot League Poll:

1. Holy Cross
2. Fordham
3. Lafayette
4. Colgate
5. Bucknell
6. Lehigh
7. Georgetown

My picks right now:
1. Holy Cross (lock)
2. Lafayette
3. Colgate
4. Fordham
5. Lehigh
6. Bucknell
7. Georgetown

McCowboys
June 21st, 2023, 07:34 PM
Patriot League Poll:

1. Holy Cross
2. Fordham
3. Lafayette
4. Colgate
5. Bucknell
6. Lehigh
7. Georgetown

My picks right now:
1. Holy Cross (lock)
2. Lafayette
3. Colgate
4. Fordham
5. Lehigh
6. Bucknell
7. Georgetown

What do you think the conference sees in Fordham that you do not see?

DFW HOYA
June 21st, 2023, 08:02 PM
What do you think the conference sees in Fordham that you do not see?

They see the returning depth from recruiting, but the loss of Tim DeMorat is probably worth 14 points a game in sheer productivity. He threw for 56 TD passes last season and no one on this depth chart (even C.J. Montes, the New Mexico transfer) is going to approach that this season.

MR. CHICKEN
June 21st, 2023, 08:02 PM

2. UIW
3. Nicholls
4. McNeese
5. Northwestern State
6. HCU
7. A&M-Commerce
8. Lamar

So I would go

1. Nicholls
2. SLU
3. UIW

....NICHOLLS.........FIRST THREE GAMES....SAC. ST./TCU/TULANE........xthumbsdownx......AWK!

MR. CHICKEN
June 21st, 2023, 08:30 PM
Patriot League Poll:

1. Holy Cross
2. Fordham
3. Lafayette
4. Colgate
5. Bucknell
6. Lehigh
7. Georgetown

My picks right now:
1. Holy Cross (lock)
2. Lafayette
3. Colgate
4. Fordham
5. Lehigh
6. Bucknell
7. Georgetown

.....FORDHAM....SCORED 40 POINTS OR BETTERAH....IN ALL 12 OF DEY'RE GAMES.........LOSS UH QB/WR's.......STILL SHOOD BE SOME OFFENSIVE CARRY-OVER..........BRAWK!

.....BESIDES HC & FORDHAM......NO ONE ELSE HAD WINNIN' RECORDS...BE IT.....CONFERENCE OR OVERALL.........AWK!

FUBeAR
June 21st, 2023, 08:36 PM
We'll take a shot...

SoCon Coaches and Media will vote pretty much like this, with some variation within the 3 tiers FUBeAR has divided. This ranking is not necessarily the opinion of FUBeAR.

1) Furman
2) Samford

3) Mercer
4) Chattanooga
5) WCU

6) ETSU
7) The Citadel
8) Wofford
9) VMI

McCowboys
June 21st, 2023, 08:48 PM
....NICHOLLS.........FIRST THREE GAMES....SAC. ST./TCU/TULANE........xthumbsdownx......AWK!

Yep, that's a tough way to start, but it's the conference games that really matter.

caribbeanhen
June 21st, 2023, 08:49 PM
Mr Chicken was nice enough to post Lindy’s predicted order of finish for the CAA on here somewhere

LINDY'S 2023 CAA PROJECTION..........AWK!

1. WILLIAM & MARY
2. NEW HAMPSHIRE
3. RICHMOND
4. DELAWARE
5. VILLANOVA
6. ELON
7. RHODE ISLAND
8. MONMOUTH
9. TOWSON
10. ALBANY
11. STONY BROOK
12. N. CAROLINA A&T
13. MAINE
14. HAMPTON
15. CAMPBELL

MR. CHICKEN
June 21st, 2023, 08:57 PM
Yep, that's a tough way to start, but it's the conference games that really matter.

.....WELL YA's...AIN'T BEATIN' INCARNATE/SE LA...EITHER...xsighx...DOODLE-DOO!

....LINDY'S....HAS NICHOLLS...(6th).....BEHIND NORFFWESTERN ST/MCNEESE & TEXAS A&M COMM....TA BOOT..........BRAWK!

NY Crusader 2010
June 22nd, 2023, 06:11 AM
No way Campbell finishes LAST in the CAA IMO.

Are they in this year or is it 2024?

crusader11
June 22nd, 2023, 06:48 AM
Patriot League Poll:

1. Holy Cross
2. Fordham
3. Lafayette
4. Colgate
5. Bucknell
6. Lehigh
7. Georgetown

My picks right now:
1. Holy Cross (lock)
2. Lafayette
3. Colgate
4. Fordham
5. Lehigh
6. Bucknell
7. Georgetown

I don't know about Fordham at 4, DFW. They still have a lot of talent on that team.

Lafayette, I hope, takes a step forward this year in year two of Troxell. They need to get their offense in order and find a QB first, though.

The other four programs are in different stages of disarray.

McCowboys
June 22nd, 2023, 06:56 AM

....LINDY'S....HAS NICHOLLS...(6th).....BEHIND NORFFWESTERN ST/MCNEESE & TEXAS A&M COMM....TA BOOT..........BRAWK!

That is fine with me. I am not a Nicholls fan. ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

So Lindy's is the final authority? Thanks for the info!

caribbeanhen
June 22nd, 2023, 07:12 AM

I agree on Campbell not finishing last and posted that just to remember who was actually in the CAA nowadays

ElCid
June 22nd, 2023, 07:37 AM

They are inconsistent, but they could be 5-6 spots higher if they are par with last year's effort.

MR. CHICKEN
June 22nd, 2023, 08:47 AM

...THEY ARE IN......AN' WON'T BE LAST PLACE......DAT HONOR WILL GO TA.......HAMPTON.......BRAWK!

MR. CHICKEN
June 22nd, 2023, 08:52 AM
That is fine with me. I am not a Nicholls fan. ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

So Lindy's is the final authority? Thanks for the info!

....AH MENTIONED LINDY'S......IT'S UH SPORTS MAGAZINE.....WHIFF PAID WRITERS.....WHOM YOU'D ASSUME.....GATHER INFO & TALK TA CONFERENCE BEAT WRITERS AN' SUCH....TA GIVE DEY'RE BEST GUESS.....MAY NOT KNOW ANYMO' DAN ME/YOU......AH....JES' PUT IT OUTDERE.......YOUSE CAN WIPE WHIFF IT.....IFIN' YA WANT......DOODLE-DOO!

McCowboys
June 22nd, 2023, 09:00 AM
....AH MENTIONED LINDY'S......IT'S UH SPORTS MAGAZINE.....WHIFF PAID WRITERS.....WHOM YOU'D ASSUME.....GATHER INFO & TALK TA CONFERENCE BEAT WRITERS AN' SUCH....TA GIVE DEY'RE BEST GUESS.....MAY NOT KNOW ANYMO' DAN ME/YOU......AH....JES' PUT IT OUTDERE.......YOUSE CAN WIPE WHIFF IT.....IFIN' YA WANT......DOODLE-DOO!

No offense, Mr. Chicken, I have always had great respect for you.

Lindy's, Mr. Lion, and you are not high on Nicholls. I'm just trying to understand why.

MR. CHICKEN
June 22nd, 2023, 09:24 AM

Lindy's, Mr. Lion, and you are not high on Nicholls. I'm just trying to understand why.

.......xhandshakexxhighfivexxhugx...........IT'S ALL FUN FO' ME............xnodx............AWK!

.....WHY?.......SAC. ST......TCU.......TULANE........WORD.......SE. LA.................................BRAWK!

caribbeanhen
June 22nd, 2023, 09:36 AM

We’re all waiting to hear why you are so high on Nichols

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 22nd, 2023, 09:38 AM
The Patriot League in reality. I think Fordham still has the horses to give HC a run, especially in the Bronx. However, it's so hard to bet on Conlin over Chesney when the chips are on the line. I think the biggest gap is after the top 2. At least from a talent standpoint.....

1. Holy Cross
2. Fordham, I trust the Rams to be talented/athletic on both sides of the ball relative to their PL competition. The question is can Conlin and the Rams avoid their typical blunders which always cost them a game or two each year. Their margin for error in 2023 will be quite thin....
3. Lafayette, offense is atrocious but they have a proven coach and remain committed to top-tier FCS defense. They are without a doubt a wildcard but the fact remains their last winning season (excluding 2021 spring) was 2009.
4. Colgate - at this point it's completely irrelevant
5. Lehigh
6. Georgetown
7. Bucknell

caribbeanhen
June 22nd, 2023, 09:47 AM
Sluka > Fordham

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 22nd, 2023, 10:01 AM
Sluka > Fordham

I think the biggest disparity is at coach. Conlin has a proven history of terrible errors of judgement in the 4th quarter which have cost the Rams numerous games since he took over. I trust Fordham having another talented QB in the wings capable of producing at a relatively high level more than I trust Conlin in crunch time.

HC does not have a walk in the park despite the league overall being terrible. At Fordham and at Lafayette will not be easy. Lafayette has the physical mindset to battle the Crusaders again for 60 minutes.

From a Lehigh standpoint, what is their ceiling with a new staff? I still question the Cahill hire and his OC/DC choices were "interesting". I feel there's a serious "boom or bust" possibility with these three leading the way. What will the offense's identity be under Hunt? He and Cahill are not known for their imagination.....

SU DOG
June 22nd, 2023, 10:07 AM
I think that Western Carolina is going to be a surprisingly dangerous team in the SoCon this year. It may or may not be only in the role of a spoiler, but I see the Catamounts pulling some upsets. They were inconsistent last season but finished with wins in their last three games. Looks like they have also added some really good defensive players to their roster. IMO, you overlook that team at your own peril. We shall see.

crusader11
June 22nd, 2023, 10:29 AM
HC does not have a walk in the park despite the league overall being terrible. At Fordham and at Lafayette will not be easy. Lafayette has the physical mindset to battle the Crusaders again for 60 minutes.

HC gets Lafayette in Worcester this year.

You're right about Lafayette. Probably the second most physical team we played last year outside of SDSU.

In fact, that's a game we should have lost. Had Lafayette been more competent on offense and were able to string a couple of first downs together late in the 4th, we lose.

No one stymied the HC offense as well as Lafayette did last season. Sluka had 25 yards rushing and 82 yards passing. I'd love to know how many teams have won a game after only getting seven first downs...

Mike Saint Germain appears to be a helluva defensive coach.

FUBeAR
June 22nd, 2023, 10:54 AM
I think that Western Carolina is going to be a surprisingly dangerous team in the SoCon this year. It may or may not be only in the role of a spoiler, but I see the Catamounts pulling some upsets. They were inconsistent last season but finished with wins in their last three games. Looks like they have also added some really good defensive players to their roster. IMO, you overlook that team at your own peril. We shall see.
Looks like SU DOG is laying some groundwork for the defending SoCon Champion, Samford Bulldogs, to get upset on the road in the SoCon early-season opener ...

2023 Samford Football Schedule

Date

Opponent
Time/TV

Saturday
Sep. 9
https://fbschedules.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/western-carolina-hel-2022.png (https://fbschedules.com/2023-western-carolina-football-schedule/)
at Western Carolina Catamounts (https://fbschedules.com/2023-western-carolina-football-schedule/)

E.J. Whitmire Stadium, Cullowhee, NC
2:30pm ETTV TBA

...or at least not to lose any ground in the rankings if Samford is just barely able to squeak out a close win.

Y'all skeered?

Baron Sardonicus
June 22nd, 2023, 11:56 AM
Pioneer Football League

The only poll is the league coaches' poll. I think the votes will go as follows.

1. St. Thomas
2. Davidson
3. Dayton
4. San Diego
5. Butler
6. Drake
7. Valparaiso
8. Morehead St.
9. Marist
10. Stetson
11. Presbyterian

SU DOG
June 22nd, 2023, 12:54 PM
Looks like SU DOG is laying some groundwork for the defending SoCon Champion, Samford Bulldogs, to get upset on the road in the SoCon early-season opener ...

2023 Samford Football Schedule

Date

Opponent
Time/TV

Saturday
Sep. 9
https://fbschedules.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/western-carolina-hel-2022.png (https://fbschedules.com/2023-western-carolina-football-schedule/)
at Western Carolina Catamounts (https://fbschedules.com/2023-western-carolina-football-schedule/)

E.J. Whitmire Stadium, Cullowhee, NC
2:30pm ETTV TBA

...or at least not to lose any ground in the rankings if Samford is just barely able to squeak out a close win.

Y'all skeered?

Skeered? NO! My message was partly from observation and ironically partly from your in-depth discussion of the Catamounts' roster/transfers on the SoCon thread. Also, speaking of close wins, wasn't the WCU loss at Paladin Stadium last season a 7 point affair? I'm not scared, but yes, I am wary of what IMO is the sleeper of the SoCon this season.

FUBeAR
June 22nd, 2023, 01:37 PM
Skeered? NO! My message was partly from observation and ironically partly from your in-depth discussion of the Catamounts' roster/transfers on the SoCon thread. Also, speaking of close wins, wasn't the WCU loss at Paladin Stadium last season a 7 point affair? I'm not scared, but yes, I am wary of what IMO is the sleeper of the SoCon this season.
You mean the game where Furman lost interest after going up by 4 scores at the end of the 3rd quarter and WCU connected on a couple of late 4th quarter long Hail Mary passes to make the final score appear a whole lot closer than the game actually was? Yep - you correctly identified the final scoring margin in that Furman victory.

ElCid
June 22nd, 2023, 03:04 PM
You mean the game where Furman lost interest after going up by 4 scores at the end of the 3rd quarter and WCU connected on a couple of late 4th quarter long Hail Mary passes to make the final score appear a whole lot closer than the game actually was? Yep - you correctly identified the final scoring margin in that Furman victory.

I didn't realize late 4th quarter Hail Mary passing scores didn't count. Nice to know for the future.

FUBeAR
June 22nd, 2023, 03:09 PM
I didn't realize late 4th quarter Hail Mary passing scores didn't count. Nice to know for the future.
If they didn't count, then SU DOG's insightful identification of the margin of the final score would have been incorrect.

FUBeAR acknowledging that he had absolutely nailed that fact right on the money clearly indicates those scores counted. Where are you becoming confused in processing this calculus?

The Cats
June 22nd, 2023, 03:16 PM

WCU's 4th quarter scoring. I don't see a hail mary pass... I don't think a 69 yard pass with 2:18 left in the game qualifies as a hail mary...

4th
12:42
WCU - TJ Jones 9 yd run (R. McCollum kick), 8 plays, 68 yards, TOP 3:04

4th
07:54
WCU - Censere Lee 42 yd pass from Gonzales,Cole (R. McCollum kick) 2 plays, 56 yards, TOP 0:31

4th
02:18
WCU - Censere Lee 69 yd pass from Gonzales,Cole (R. McCollum kick blocked) 1 plays, 69 yards, TOP 0:08

Hail Mary pass
A Hail Mary pass is a very long forward pass in American football, typically made in desperation, with an exceptionally small chance of achieving a completion. Due to the difficulty of a completion with this pass, it makes reference to the Catholic "Hail Mary" prayer for strength and help.The expression goes back at least to the 1930s, when it was used publicly by Elmer Layden and Jim Crowley, two former members of the Notre Dame Fighting Irish's Four Horsemen. Originally meaning any sort of desperation play, a Hail Mary pass gradually came to denote a long, low-probability pass, typically of the "alley-oop" variety, attempted at the end of a half when a team is too far from the end zone to execute a more conventional play, implying that it would take a miracle for the play to succeed. For more than 40 years, use of the term was largely confined to Notre Dame and other Catholic universities.The term became widespread after an NFL playoff game between the Dallas Cowboys and the Minnesota Vikings on December 28, 1975 (see Cowboys–Vikings rivalry), when Cowboys quarterback Roger Staubach said about his game-winning touchdown pass to wide receiver Drew Pearson, "I closed my eyes and said a Hail Mary."

ElCid
June 22nd, 2023, 03:23 PM
We'll take a shot...

SoCon Coaches and Media will vote pretty much like this, with some variation within the 3 tiers FUBeAR has divided. This ranking is not necessarily the opinion of FUBeAR.

1) Furman
2) Samford

3) Mercer
4) Chattanooga
5) WCU

6) ETSU
7) The Citadel
8) Wofford
9) VMI

As always, it will be a crap shoot. Favorites always seem to falter, and/or underdogs rise up and screw up the autobid and/or a third playoff team, etc. The portal will probably make it even more so depending on who gets a gem and who gets shafted.

Also with WCUs coach in his third year, Wofford's in his first full season, and the new coach at The Citadel, they might throw some wrenches in the works.

FUBeAR
June 22nd, 2023, 04:02 PM
I don't think a 69 yard pass with 2:18 left in the game qualifies as a hail mary...
FUBeAR disagrees. He was Hailing Mary, Jesus, and Joseph when the ball went into the air.

McCowboys
June 22nd, 2023, 05:00 PM
We’re all waiting to hear why you are so high on Nichols

Half of the 8 teams in the SLC have new head coaches. The Nicholls coach has been at Nicholls for a good period of time. Last year, they had a rather young team. When I look at their roster now, it is a veteran team of lots of juniors and seniors. So for that and the stability of the program, that is why I think they may be overlooked.
But I just looked at their schedule from last year. I thought they had done better than they did. So actually now I think they should be run out of the SLC and FCS football. ;-)

Mike296
June 22nd, 2023, 09:23 PM
Pioneer Football League

The only poll is the league coaches' poll. I think the votes will go as follows.

1. St. Thomas
2. Davidson
3. Dayton
4. San Diego
5. Butler
6. Drake
7. Valparaiso
8. Morehead St.
9. Marist
10. Stetson
11. Presbyterian

Watch out for St Thomas when they become eligible for the Playoffs in a few years. I could genuinely see this team knocking off someone in the playoffs in a few years time.

SteelSD
June 23rd, 2023, 12:02 AM
Watch out for St Thomas when they become eligible for the Playoffs in a few years. I could genuinely see this team knocking off someone in the playoffs in a few years time.
You mean the same Tommies who lost by 31 to Southern Utah?

Mike296
June 23rd, 2023, 12:18 AM
You mean the same Tommies who lost by 31 to Southern Utah?

I’m cutting them a bit of slack on that one for a few reasons: 1. They’re in year 2 of a D3-D1 transition and have only had two full D1 recruiting classes under their belts. 2. Their sort of transition hasn’t really happened since the PFL formed in the Early - Mid 90’s so we didn’t really have much data to go on as to whether or not they’d be competitive in the PFL, let alone on a national level. 3. Southern Utah was better than their record indicated last season. They were competitive in every single game barring the FBS loss so I genuinely wouldn’t expect a St Thomas team in Year 2 of an unprecedented transition period to be competitive in a game like this.

Give them a few years time and who knows what we’ll see.

crusader11
June 23rd, 2023, 05:35 AM

Totally agree.

They’ll take the first opportunity to jump out of the PFL, too.

Mike296
June 23rd, 2023, 06:00 AM
Totally agree.

They’ll take the first opportunity to jump out of the PFL, too.

Where would they go? MVFC? maybe even OVC as an affiliate football member if they figure their crap out lol. With them being a Summit League member MVFC would probably be more likely than OVC.

clenz
June 23rd, 2023, 10:48 AM
<1% chance they go scholarship almost ever.

Professor Chaos
June 23rd, 2023, 12:02 PM
>1% chance they go scholarship almost ever.
Way to go out on a limb there. ;)

(I assume you meant less than a 1% chance)

Professor Chaos
June 23rd, 2023, 12:04 PM
My guess for the MVFC preseason poll:

1. SDSU
2. NDSU
3. UNI
4. UND
5. YSU
6. SIU
7. MoSU
8. IlSU
9. USD
10. InSU
11. MuSU
12. WIU

crusader11
June 23rd, 2023, 12:28 PM
For the Patriot League, here goes (my predicted finish, not how the league will vote)...

1) Holy Cross
2) Fordham
3) Colgate
4) Lehigh
5) Lafayette
6) Georgetown
7) Bucknell

Doc QB
June 23rd, 2023, 12:50 PM
The Patriot League in reality. I think Fordham still has the horses to give HC a run, especially in the Bronx. However, it's so hard to bet on Conlin over Chesney when the chips are on the line. I think the biggest gap is after the top 2. At least from a talent standpoint.....

1. Holy Cross
2. Fordham, I trust the Rams to be talented/athletic on both sides of the ball relative to their PL competition. The question is can Conlin and the Rams avoid their typical blunders which always cost them a game or two each year. Their margin for error in 2023 will be quite thin....
3. Lafayette, offense is atrocious but they have a proven coach and remain committed to top-tier FCS defense. They are without a doubt a wildcard but the fact remains their last winning season (excluding 2021 spring) was 2009.
4. Colgate - at this point it's completely irrelevant
5. Lehigh
6. Georgetown
7. Bucknell

Fordham lost a tremendous QB, several receivers. AND their OC who is now at ODU, as well as the Oline coach.
No one has mentioned that, and it is huge.
Asselta has good resume, but losing Decker I think is an enormous loss. Promoted Asselta to OC, seems to have some pedigree, but was a position guy beneath OC Decker, despite being older and more seasons coaching.
I think losing two coaches like that is a relevant point and can sting the Rams as much as the QB and WRs production loss.

SFA 93
June 23rd, 2023, 02:22 PM
UAC 2023

1.) CENTRAL ARKANSAS
2.) EASTERN KENTUCKY
3.) ABILENE CHRISTIAN
4.) AUSTIN PEAY
5.) TARLETON STATE
6.) STEPHEN F. AUSTIN
7.) SOUTHERN UTAH
8.) NORTH ALABAMA
9.) UTAH TECH
10.) UTRGV (2025)

Mike296
June 23rd, 2023, 02:25 PM
>1% chance they go scholarship almost ever.

I was mostly being sarcastic but you can’t really tell on message boards all that well now can you? I doubt they go scholly Football either. I was just humoring the guy who suggested it.

Baron Sardonicus
June 23rd, 2023, 04:05 PM
Unless something akin to Patriot League football sprouts up in their region (ain't gonna be the PFL), Tommie football will stay right where it is. I don't think the Patriot is expanding westward, but maybe they'll pull a Big East. Lol

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 23rd, 2023, 08:24 PM
Fordham lost a tremendous QB, several receivers. AND their OC who is now at ODU, as well as the Oline coach.
No one has mentioned that, and it is huge.
Asselta has good resume, but losing Decker I think is an enormous loss. Promoted Asselta to OC, seems to have some pedigree, but was a position guy beneath OC Decker, despite being older and more seasons coaching.
I think losing two coaches like that is a relevant point and can sting the Rams as much as the QB and WRs production loss.

Losing assistants, while naturally compromising some level of continuity, is part of the "deal" and good PROGRAMS are able to withstand such attrition. Holy Cross also lost a key assistant (DC?) iirc but given Chesney's pedigree at this point, I trust the Crusaders ability to still ascend.

Conlin is a legitimately good coach but he's not without faults relative to some of the true elites in the profession at this level. The shake-up will "hurt" Fordham more relative to Holy Cross but I still believe the foundation in the Bronx is still very solid. This is a program that has been to the playoffs with several head coaches over the last 20 years. So long as health is in their corner, they will be relevant in the league race and perhaps be up for at-large playoff consideration again.

I don't think Fordham will be as good as last year simply because Demorat was THAT transcendent of a talent and PL programs sadly don't have the depth of talent to overcome such a loss. They'll still be fun to watch...

How about Lehigh? What's cooking on South Mountain? Never in the last 25 years did I feel like Lehigh football was such an after thought. There's just no energy heading into the season despite the new staff. I figured the staff/athletic department would be trying their best to rid the team of the malaise of the Gilmore Era. As it is, not so much...

Mike296
June 23rd, 2023, 11:46 PM
Unless something akin to Patriot League football sprouts up in their region (ain't gonna be the PFL), Tommie football will stay right where it is. I don't think the Patriot is expanding westward, but maybe they'll pull a Big East. Lol

I agree with this sentiment also. Living in the Midwest where you have your fair share of Non Scholly teams in the FCS it sure would be nice to have another Scholly program to root for that isn’t an Illinois school lol. No offense to the Illinois schools I just feel like every other state in the Midwest just doesn’t have more than 1. Wisconsin has 3 D1 schools and only one of them has football. Minnesota until St Thomas moved up only had 1 D1 Football school in the Goofers. I think you get my point here.

Go...gate
June 24th, 2023, 10:31 PM
Patriot League 2023:

Holy Cross

Fordham

Lafayette

Lehigh

Colgate

Bucknell

Georgetown

Ridge1982
June 25th, 2023, 10:16 AM
Big South-OVC

SEMO
UT Martin
Charleston Southern
Lindenwood
Tennessee State
Gardner Webb
Tn Tech
Robert Morris
Bryant
E. Illinois
W. Illinois

Lindenwood just got the best QB in Illinois and St. Louis area this weekend.

Tribe4SF
June 25th, 2023, 04:00 PM
Big South-OVC

SEMO
UT Martin
Charleston Southern
Lindenwood
Tennessee State
Gardner Webb
Tn Tech
Robert Morris
Bryant
E. Illinois
W. Illinois

What do you know about Charleston Southern that has you showing them 3rd coming off a 2-8 season? Tribe plays there Sept. 16 so I'm curious.

MR. CHICKEN
June 25th, 2023, 04:06 PM
Big South-OVC

SEMO
UT Martin
Charleston Southern
Lindenwood
Tennessee State
Gardner Webb
Tn Tech
Robert Morris
Bryant
E. Illinois
W. Illinois

....GARDNER-WEBB & BRYANT.....ARE...WAY TO LOW.......ROBERT MORRIS WAS 0-11 LAST YEAR & OUTSCORED 377-109.......BRAWK!

...THIS 10 TEAM LEAGUE WILL OWN-LAH....PLAY UH 6 GAME CONFERENCE SKED....NOT ALL TEAMS PLAY EACH OTHER...LAST YEARS.....PLAY-OFF TEAMS....G-W WON'T PLAY SE MIZZ.....FO' INSTANCE........AWK!

....LINDENWOOD IS INELIGIBLE.....FO' 2023 PLAYOFFS......BAWK!

.....KEEP YER LUCKY...SILVER DOLLAR @ DUH READY....FO' TIE BREAKERS.......DOODLE-DOO!

....CHUCK SOUFF....HAS UH NEW COACH...IN EX-ALBANY STATE....GABE GIARDINA......WHO IS 37-17...BUT 8 LOSSES WILL BE.....HARD TA CORRECT.........AWK!

....WESTERN ILLINOIS.....IS STILL IN MVFC....FO' FOOTBALL.....TIL 2024..........BRAWK!

FUBeAR
June 25th, 2023, 07:12 PM
...THIS 10 TEAM LEAGUE WILL OWN-LAH....PLAY UH 6 GAME CONFERENCE SKED....NOT ALL TEAMS PLAY EACH OTHER...LAST YEARS.....PLAY-OFF TEAMS....G-W WON'T PLAY SE MIZZ.....FO' INSTANCE........AWK!

.....KEEP YER LUCKY...SILVER DOLLAR @ DUH READY....FO' TIE BREAKERS.......DOODLE-DOO!
https://twitter.com/ovcsports/status/1594117135789264897
https://cos.h-cdn.co/assets/15/32/1438829389-eye-roll-3.gif

The Cats
June 25th, 2023, 11:13 PM
...THIS 10 TEAM LEAGUE WILL OWN-LAH....PLAY UH 6 GAME CONFERENCE SKED....NOT ALL TEAMS PLAY EACH OTHER...

Sounds just like the way the MVFC, the CAA, and Big Sky conduct business...

Just to even things up, maybe the SoCon should go to a 6 or 7 game conference schedule...

MR. CHICKEN
June 26th, 2023, 07:48 AM
[QUOTE=caribbeanhen;3129772]Mr Chicken was nice enough to post Lindy’s predicted order of finish for the CAA on here somewhere

SOME CAA MEANDERIN'S:

1. WILLIAM & MARY...........BILL & MARTHA.....ERR MARY......HAVE...CAT TREAD NIKES....ON ORDER!
2. NEW HAMPSHIRE...........TAKE UH LIESURELY STROLL...'ROUND STADIUM.....MAYBE PICK SOME.....PINK LADY SLIPPERS...PRIOR TA 'CAT'S ROUT.....UH CAA SKED!
3. RICHMOND.............BRING YER BOTTLE UH ZIMPH..&..PLATE UH BRIE.....AS DEFENSE COOD BE SECRET TA ARACHNID SCUCCESS!
4. DELAWARE.........HENS WERE 4-4 IN CONF...WHIFF GOOD "D"......NOW IT'S PATCHED........WHIFF WD-40/DUCT TAPE ....'N HOPE!
5. VILLANOVA............PENNDOT......REPAIRS IN ORDER....FO' BOTTOM HALF...UH....CONFERENCE........OFFENSE & DEFENSE!
6. ELON...................PHOENIX......ALWAYS...UH TOUGH OUT!
7. RHODE ISLAND.........SHEEPISHLY.....SEEKS UH PLAYOFF BERTH!
8. MONMOUTH...........HAS UH CHANCE....WHEN SHIRDEN.....CARRIES DUH ROCK!
9. TOWSON................SHINNICK WAS....56-21 @ DII WEST FLA.......WILL PUT BITE....BACK IN TAGGERS!
10. ALBANY..............REECE'S PIECES.....SHOOD IMPROVE.....ON..LAST SEASONS.....3-8...!
11. STONY BROOK...........STONERS HAVE LESS TALENT.....DAN......VANNAH WHITE!
12. N. CAROLINA A&T..........AGGIES...WILL DISCOVER CAA...IS..NO BIG SOUFF!
13. MAINE..................."DUH BEARS"....HAVE TRAVEL SKED..........DAT RIVALS...DUH SWIFT TOUR!
14. HAMPTON........PIRATES....MANAGED ONE....CAA DUBBYA....LAST YEAR......'NUFF SAID!
15. CAMPBELL............BUIES CREEK....IS NO OASIS.....BUT GOOD RECRUITIN'........WILL KEEP CAMELS FIGHTIN'!

caribbeanhen
June 26th, 2023, 09:36 AM
[QUOTE=caribbeanhen;3129772]Mr Chicken was nice enough to post Lindy’s predicted order of finish for the CAA on here somewhere

SOME CAA MEANDERIN'S:

1. WILLIAM & MARY...........BILL & MARTHA.....ERR MARY......HAVE...CAT TREAD NIKES....ON ORDER!
2. NEW HAMPSHIRE...........TAKE UH LIESURELY STROLL...'ROUND STADIUM.....MAYBE PICK SOME.....PINK LADY SLIPPERS...PRIOR TA 'CAT'S ROUT.....UH CAA SKED!
3. RICHMOND.............BRING YER BOTTLE UH ZIMPH..&..PLATE UH BRIE.....AS DEFENSE COOD BE SECRET TA ARACHNID SCUCCESS!
4. DELAWARE.........HENS WERE 4-4 IN CONF...WHIFF GOOD "D"......NOW IT'S PATCHED........WHIFF WD-40/DUCT TAPE ....'N HOPE!
5. VILLANOVA............PENNDOT......REPAIRS IN ORDER....FO' BOTTOM HALF...UH....CONFERENCE........OFFENSE & DEFENSE!
9. TOWSON................SHINNICK WAS....56-21 @ DII WEST FLA.......WILL PUT BITE....BACK IN TAGGERS!
10. ALBANY..............REECE'S PIECES.....SHOOD IMPROVE.....ON..LAST SEASONS.....3-8...!
13. MAINE..................."DUH BEARS"....HAVE TRAVEL SKED..........DAT RIVALS...DUH SWIFT TOUR!
14. HAMPTON........PIRATES....MANAGED ONE....CAA DUBBYA....LAST YEAR......'NUFF SAID!
15. CAMPBELL............BUIES CREEK....IS NO OASIS.....BUT GOOD RECRUITIN'........WILL KEEP CAMELS FIGHTIN'!

Now that’s funny

In all seriousness, in between all the humor is a ton of research….

Thanks for doing what you do Mr Chicken

Sader87
June 26th, 2023, 02:47 PM
Just a hunch, but I have Laffy as being the most serious threat to HC's continued success in the PL this Fall. Thankfully that game is at Fitton.

Tribe4SF
June 26th, 2023, 03:04 PM

SOME CAA MEANDERIN'S:

:D

For the record we learned they were Reebocks with tape over the logo.

Catbooster
June 26th, 2023, 05:06 PM
[QUOTE=MR. CHICKEN;3130104]

:D

For the record we learned they were Reebocks with tape over the logo.
I hope the Tribe gains some traction in the playoff hunt this year and slides into a berth that will get them back to Bozeman in December again.

Good Luck!

lionsrking2
June 29th, 2023, 08:28 PM
That would be fine with me. How do you think things will shape up?

I don't make firm predictions this far out because too much can happen. Last minute transfers, injuries, ineligibles, there are all kinds of things that can happen between now and week one. I feel pretty confident the winner will be one of three teams: SLU, UIW, McNeese (not necessarily that order).

I do like our chances and I think this may be our deepest and most talented team yet, but we have to stay healthy. We've been plagued by injuries for four straight years so that trend isn't good. But we're loaded on both lines of scrimmage, have a quality QB coming back, a couple of solid ones coming in and good skill players around them. We have to replace some really good players but I'm confident we will and should upgrade at a couple of spots.

UIW lost a ton but they brought in a ton. Remains to be seen if they are reloading or rebuilding but they will be talented for sure.

McNeese should be much improved and give me similar vibes as our 2013 team, Ron Roberts second year. We got off to a bad start in 2012, finished strong, brought in some transfers and won the league in '13.

Nicholls has no choice but to be improved and expect they will, but not sure they did enough in the off-season to blow past everybody else. They'll always be a tough out for us regardless.

The rest of the league has too many unknowns.