PDA

View Full Version : CAA & Southern Conference

UMassive
November 24th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Whether you like it or not both these conferences are proving that they were the deepest top to bottom in 07. New Hampshire was the the fifth place in conference and is making us proud. Let's see if they can keep it up in the second half.

Peems
November 24th, 2007, 08:08 PM
The Southern Conference has been more impressive. UMass beat a clearly overmatched Fordham, UD beat a clearly overmatched Del St. Richmond beat a weak OVC team. James Madison lost. Really UNH has been the only team to be "impressive"

Meanwhile ASU holds of JMU and Wofford beats Montana at home, though really those two games could have gone either way.

Houndawg
November 24th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Whether you like it or not both these conferences are proving that they were the deepest top to bottom in 07. New Hampshire was the the fifth place in conference and is making us proud. Let's see if they can keep it up in the second half.

YSU lost to them by 1. They'd be doing fine today, too.

93BlueHen
November 24th, 2007, 08:09 PM
ASU holds off JMU? Try "JMU hands game to ASU".

FCS Preview
November 24th, 2007, 08:20 PM
The Southern Conference has been more impressive. UMass beat a clearly overmatched Fordham, UD beat a clearly overmatched Del St. Richmond beat a weak OVC team. James Madison lost. Really UNH has been the only team to be "impressive"

Meanwhile ASU holds of JMU and Wofford beats Montana at home, though really those two games could have gone either way.

Wofford's game was impressive. App State at home should have handily beaten JMU. I was more impressed with JMU than App State today.

Peems
November 24th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Wofford's game was impressive. App State at home should have handily beaten JMU. I was more impressed with JMU than App State today.

Good points. It is also hard to compare the two conferences, when one conference has five and the other only two.

appfan2008
November 24th, 2007, 08:40 PM
I was more impressed with jmu than asu also but... asu is still playing next week

CID1990
November 24th, 2007, 08:43 PM

Impressed or not, both SoCon teams are still in.

Maybe JMU just had their One Given Saturday and it wasn't good enough?

UncleSam
November 24th, 2007, 08:45 PM
I was more impressed with jmu than asu also but... asu is still playing next week

And that is all that matters.

FCS Preview
November 24th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Impressed or not, both SoCon teams are still in.

Maybe JMU just had their One Given Saturday and it wasn't good enough?
The coaches blew that game...

Mountaineer
November 24th, 2007, 08:47 PM

Totally..when Micky Matthews fumbled the ball at the..oh wait. Nevermind. xwhistlex xcoffeex ;)

SunCoastBlueHen
November 24th, 2007, 08:49 PM
The #5 CAa team is giving the #1 team in the nation all that they can handle...

JMU lost, but outplayed the FCS darlings.

I think the CAA, as expected, has made a darn good showing thus far. xpeacex

FCS Preview
November 24th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Totally..when Micky Matthews fumbled the ball at the..oh wait. Nevermind. xwhistlex xcoffeex ;)

Joe Pisarcik gets the blame too, when he simply ran the play the coaches called...
Take a knee, run down the clock and then kick the GWFG

Griswold
November 24th, 2007, 08:52 PM

I'm impressed that on 4th and 4 Satterfield goes deep down the field with the season on the line! What a call. xeekx

Give ASU credit for making a play on Defense and forcing the fumble. I couldn't believe it either but give them credit. xrotatehx

matfu
November 24th, 2007, 08:53 PM
APP STATE headlines "the great escape"; james madison outplayed them but as furman learned in 2004 when we fumbled at the 1 yard line and james madison won 14-13 and went on to win it all...a win is a win is a win. it is a shame the southern confernece did not get more teams in as i believe ga southern and furman at the end of the season were among the top 16 teams.

the most impressive team today has been wofford.

Houndawg
November 24th, 2007, 08:58 PM

Against DSU and Fordham and EKU? xrolleyesx I'd be a little worried about giving up 35 to Fordham if I were the UMass D coordinator. CAA did a good job of putting only their guys on both sides of the bracket, though.

Griswold
November 24th, 2007, 08:58 PM
I didn't see the game so I've got to ask the first thing that came to my mind, what end of the field was the fumble on? Was it the South end?

UncleSam
November 24th, 2007, 09:00 PM

The CAA and SoCon schools appeared to be as advertised, but with Montana losing at home and McNeese trailing, at home, the suspicions that Griz and Cowboys schedules were subpar, seem to be correct.

ASU88
November 24th, 2007, 09:01 PM
I didn't see the game so I've got to ask the first thing that came to my mind, what end of the field was the fumble on? Was it the South end?
North end.

AZGrizFan
November 24th, 2007, 09:02 PM
The CAA and SoCon schools appeared to be as advertised, but with Montana losing at home and McNeese trailing, at home, the suspicions that Griz and Cowboys schedules were subpar, seem to be correct.

You know, it's not like we lost at home to Western Carolina. xrolleyesx

UncleSam
November 24th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Against DSU and Fordham and EKU?

As or more impressive than SIU's win over the 2d place finisher in the OV... :p

Houndawg
November 24th, 2007, 09:04 PM

Maybe, but I think it is a distinct disadvantage to go into the playoffs undefeated. The streak becomes a distraction subconciously.

UncleSam
November 24th, 2007, 09:05 PM
You know, it's not like we lost at home to Western Carolina. xrolleyesx

No, but you lost....... at home. Not good.

Houndawg
November 24th, 2007, 09:06 PM
As or more impressive than SIU's win over the 2d place finisher in the OV... :p

I don't hear any Gateway fans talking about it like it's a big deal. So far the CAA has won the games they were supposed to win against a hand picked schedule.

Dukie95
November 24th, 2007, 09:07 PM
I had predicted that this year's champ would be UNI or a school from the CAA or SoCon. I honestly don't think any other schools play the type of schedule week after week that adequately prepares them for the playoffs.

Houndawg
November 24th, 2007, 09:09 PM
I had predicted that this year's champ would be UNI or a school from the CAA or SoCon. I honestly don't think any other schools play the type of schedule week after week that adequately prepares them for the playoffs.

I honestly think you are wrong.

UncleSam
November 24th, 2007, 09:10 PM
I don't hear any Gateway fans talking about it like it's a big deal.

That's because it isn't. ;)

PS - UNH (the 5th CAA team) has already scored more points on UNI than ANY Gateway school was able to put up.

Houndawg
November 24th, 2007, 09:12 PM

PS - UNH (the 5th CAA team) has already scored more points on UNI than ANY Gateway school was able to put up.

But beating EKU, Fordham, and DSU is?

ButlerGSU
November 24th, 2007, 09:15 PM

I agree, both teams played very well but JMU just made too many mistakes and/or bad decisions.

FCS Preview
November 24th, 2007, 09:15 PM

Any team, including Iowa State. (Not just Gateway)

UncleSam
November 24th, 2007, 09:16 PM
But beating EKU, Fordham, and DSU is?

No, but the fact that JMU should have won at ASU and UNH, the last CAA entry, is giving UNI all they want in the dreaded UNI Dome, is quite impressive. ;)

Houndawg
November 24th, 2007, 09:20 PM
No, but the fact that JMU should have won at ASU and UNH, the last CAA entry, is giving UNI all they want in the dreaded UNI Dome, is quite impressive. ;)

I agree with that. But the bottom line is that JMU didn't get it done. Not what you'd expect from such a powerhouse conference, and as I stated earlier, imo it's a big disadvantage to go into the playoffs undefeated. UNI has had two missed FGs and a TD called back, so right now I'd say it's a case of UNI letting UNH hang around.

AZGrizFan
November 24th, 2007, 10:27 PM

Wow. Way to go out on a limb there. xlolx xlolx xrolleyesx

BigApp
November 24th, 2007, 10:40 PM

wow. you picked 21 teams to win it. sweet. xcoffeex

Eagle22
November 24th, 2007, 11:02 PM

Them's the playoffs. Ask Furman about how they gift wrapped JMU's win in 2004 ... etc, etc. GSU did the same in the 2001 semi's losing two fumbles inside the 20 on consecutive series.

Most every team in the playoffs have a moment or two during their season that set them on a different course. Championship caliber teams don't fumble away their chances.

ASU
November 25th, 2007, 12:18 AM

Coaching is part of it. Coaching also kept to a game plan that gave the ball to JMU twice as much as ASU.....yet they could not score as many points.
Coaching is a large part of the game....just look at the NFL teams that change for the good or bad with a simple thing like coaching....for instance the San Diego Chargers this year compared to last.
Coaching kept JMU in the game and probably lost it toward the end.....but if they Could have converted on 4th down and kept the ball away from ASU's offense like they had been doing....then they could have just run out the clock....If, If, If.....that's why I love football.

McNeese_beat
November 25th, 2007, 12:40 AM

I thought JMU was dangerous because they run the ball and play D.

But apparently they don't manage late-game situations, ha.

BULLDOG8180
November 25th, 2007, 12:44 AM
APP STATE headlines "the great escape"; james madison outplayed them but as furman learned in 2004 when we fumbled at the 1 yard line and james madison won 14-13 and went on to win it all...a win is a win is a win. it is a shame the southern confernece did not get more teams in as i believe ga southern and furman at the end of the season were among the top 16 teams.

the most impressive team today has been wofford.

FU would have been the 6th team.xrolleyesx

GolfingGriz
November 25th, 2007, 12:45 AM
Although the CAA was 3-2 today i dont think you can really judge how strong they are yet. With the matchups they have next week, we will be able to tell. Sounds like JMU gave it away, but championship teams dont do that and i was very impressed with wofford today. Interesting matchup with them playing Richmond next week, should only take about 2 hours and 15 minutes...

McNeese_beat
November 25th, 2007, 12:49 AM

McNeese's schedule was definitely subpar thanks to the SLC being down (2 years in a row now...are they down or are they down and out?) and non-conference teams PSU and ULL not being as good as advertised.

But in fairness to McNeese, they played without their Buchanan candidate, Smith, and that had a domino effect on the defense. Basically, they had to re-invent themselves to try to pressure the QB and it didn't work so well.

McNeese lost its all-American Payton candidate (Whitehead) back in game 2, their leading rusher (Leonard) who was averaging 7.4 yards a pop (nobody else averaged more than 5) in game 4 and then Smith in game 10.

That's a lot of studly performers to lose. That's like taking Edwards, Lynch and Richardson away from ASU at the same time.

It's a testament to how weak the SLC was this year that McNeese rolled through its conference schedule without Whitehead and Leonard and still blew out Central Arkansas for the conference title in game 11 without Whitehead, Leonard or Smith.

th0m
November 25th, 2007, 08:48 AM

Case in point: UNI, Socon and CAA amount to half the playoff field (and 6/8 of the second round contenders)