PDA

View Full Version : JMU - I don't know what to say....

ASUG8
November 24th, 2007, 02:19 PM
You guys outplayed us completely, and we snatched a victory from you. How you finished only 8-3 in conference is surprising. Thanks for shortening my hearts' life span by 20 years today. Incredible game, amazing effort, and congrats on a superbly played game. The 4th and 2 killed you today, but you got nearly every 3rd down conversion today. Thanks for a phenomenal game - it's too bad someone has to lose in an effort like this.

Dukie95
November 24th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Thanks,

Actually, in hindsight, the 4th and 2 wasn't so bad, because you guys scored so fast, we got the ball back for a chance to win. You would have taken more time off the clock had we punted.

89Hen
November 24th, 2007, 02:21 PM
How you finished only 8-3 in conference is surprising.
Uh... nevermind.

AppChicago
Amazing game, JMU. MUCH respect to you. I truly look forward to our meeting next year.

Well, my sense of sportsmanship looks forward to it. My hope of maintaining a strong record next year is shaking in its boots!

Great game. Great effort.

Ud1Hens
The CAA is tough...ASU won it with a little help from Mickey Matthews. Good wins ASU good lcuk next round.

Go Hens

Dukie95
November 24th, 2007, 02:23 PM
How you finished only 8-3 in conference is surprising.

You just saw it...were it not for key, bad turnovers, we're 10-1.

ASUG8
November 24th, 2007, 02:26 PM
The CAA is tough...ASU won it with a little help from Mickey Matthews. Good wins ASU good lcuk next round.

Go Hens

Agreed - a W is a W, but the stats won't support an ASU win. Our D was absolutely a revolving door, but that is no excuse for an extremely effective JMU offense. There was some ballsy coaching on the JMU side, and sometimes that bites you. I'm just glad it was today and we escaped with a win. Nothing but respect to JMU from me today - my wife is worse than me - I think she's had 4 Xanax so far.

JMU_Fan_2007
November 24th, 2007, 02:27 PM
you've got to think of those JMU players. what an absolutely terrible way to lose. that's the definition of a heartbreaker.

ab4app
November 24th, 2007, 02:43 PM
I knew it would be close but man, who could have thought of that. All of the respect in the world to JMU and the JMU fans, what a game, yall outplayed us for sure, cant say enough about that game. i hate that that game ends yalls season because yall are an amazing team, had that last turnover gone the other way I can see JMU goin to chatty real easy. Tough break, cant wait till 08 , i know yall will bring it again, much respect for your school and program, yall are the real deal, thanks for a superb game.xeekx

proasu89
November 24th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Outplayed and outcoached for 9/10ths of the game.
Great call and execution on the fake FG.xbowx
Thank you to our guys for not giving inxthumbsupx

Longhorn
November 24th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Congrats to ASU...a tough, tough loss for us JMU fans, but a truly amazing game. We'll be debating our coaching staff's decision to run that last play on the 9 when a FG would have won it for a long, long time. Good luck to ASU in the rest the playoffs, but I'll be rooting for the other CAA teams to bring home the NC. Look forward to seeing ASU in our house next year. :)

WrenFGun
November 24th, 2007, 03:20 PM
As a UNH fan, congrats to both teams. JMU has owned UNH for years and they are the real deal. Landers is borderline unstoppable. Have to be terrified if Holloman gets the medical RS. He'll be even better as a senior next year.

JMU2004
November 24th, 2007, 03:24 PM
As a UNH fan, congrats to both teams. JMU has owned UNH for years and they are the real deal. Landers is borderline unstoppable. Have to be terrified if Holloman gets the medical RS. He'll be even better as a senior next year.

He never redshirted, so he is back regardless next year. Landers and Holloman in the same backfield next year!

ASUG8
November 24th, 2007, 03:24 PM
You just saw it...were it not for key, bad turnovers, we're 10-1.

I understand - we were less than flawless on that end as well.

ASUG8
November 24th, 2007, 03:30 PM

Yeah, for a guy who was "questionable" Wednesday he seemed to shake it off pretty quickly. Maybe a little sandbagging on the JMU sidelines?

Longhorn
November 24th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Yeah, for a guy who was "questionable" Wednesday he seemed to shake it off pretty quickly. Maybe a little sandbagging on the JMU sidelines?

lol...true, but I don't think Jerry Moore was fooled at all...nobody was fooled really...just the fans who were somewhat on the outside looking in were left with questions about Lander's health. I got the word from our OC during the week and knew Landers and our two starting OL were going to play, but hey, that's inside info and not for public consumption. xsmiley_wix

By the way...look forward to seeing you guys in Harrisonburg next season. Edwards is a phenom.

ERASU2113
November 24th, 2007, 03:41 PM
As Mathews said in the press conference....

The 4th down call was a play he had no problem calling. The fumble without going for the kick...is a play he'll take to the grave.

james_lawfirm
November 24th, 2007, 04:23 PM
I agree with the earlier poster who said it was too bad someone had to lose today. JMU played a great game. When both coaching staffs know what to expect, games like this one become possible. Wow!

In all, this was a cardiac thriller of a game. Now, for next week, can we just have an old-fashioned blow-out?

Tubby Raymond
November 24th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Congrats to ASU...a tough, tough loss for us JMU fans, but a truly amazing game. We'll be debating our coaching staff's decision to run that last play on the 9 when a FG would have won it for a long, long time. Good luck to ASU in the rest the playoffs, but I'll be rooting for the other CAA teams to bring home the NC. Look forward to seeing ASU in our house next year. :)

How do you like your boy Mickey nowxlolx xlolx xlolx

blackfordpu
November 24th, 2007, 04:39 PM
you've got to think of those JMU players. what an absolutely terrible way to lose. that's the definition of a heartbreaker.

I didn't get to listen to it, how did it end?

ERASU2113
November 24th, 2007, 04:46 PM
I didn't get to listen to it, how did it end?

JMU had it 3rd and 1 inside the ASU 10....ASU was up 28-27 with less than 30 seconds to go.

Rather than kick a game winning FG, JMU runs the ball....fumbles it. ASU recrovers. Game Over.

More things happened before that, just the ending was insane.

boonegoon
November 24th, 2007, 04:48 PM
It was awesome and I will definitly be at the APP/JMU game next year. Great season JMU!

bench
November 24th, 2007, 04:57 PM
I thought the fourth-and-2 was nuts at the time, but I can almost defend it now: If JMU gets the first down, they would probably have been able to run the clock out. If they don't get it, they give App the short field and a likely score, but JMU will get the ball back. I don't think Mickey thought they could stop App on a longer drive even if they punted, so why not take a chance? It was a whoever-has-the-ball-last-wins kind of game, and Mickey realized that.

The fumble? Eh, not so much. The ball should never have left Landers' hands. A keeper ending in a kneel gives the Dukes the best shot. Mickey got greedy. Tough way to drop one. I actually do feel for JMU's kids.

Longhorn
November 24th, 2007, 04:58 PM
How do you like your boy Mickey nowxlolx xlolx xlolx

I like MM just fine...thank you very much. xthumbsupx

Rather classless post IMO.

Longhorn
November 24th, 2007, 05:02 PM
I thought the fourth-and-2 was nuts at the time, but I can almost defend it now: If JMU gets the first down, they would probably have been able to run the clock out. If they don't get it, they give App the short field and a likely score, but JMU will get the ball back. I don't think Mickey thought they could stop App on a longer drive even if they punted, so why not take a chance? It was a whoever-has-the-ball-last-wins kind of game, and Mickey realized that.

The fumble? Eh, not so much. The ball should never have left Landers' hands. A keeper ending in a kneel gives the Dukes the best shot. Mickey got greedy. Tough way to drop one. I actually do feel for JMU's kids.

I completely agree with your post. I think the decision on the 4th and short was exactly what Matthews was thinking. But the decision to run and not line up the FG by taking a knee was a mistake. But hindsight is 20-20...I think Matthews was aware of ASU's ability to block FGs (ala Michigan) and wanted to punch it in if he could and not risk having to kick. A poor decision on his part in hindsight, and one he accepted the blame for in his postgame interview.

Tubby Raymond
November 24th, 2007, 05:02 PM
I like MM just fine...thank you very much. xthumbsupx

Rather classless post IMO.

Yep, you sure are a regular Emily Post boyxoopsx

Longhorn
November 24th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Yep, you sure are a regular Emily Post boyxoopsx

Take it elsewhere. xnonono2x

blackfordpu
November 24th, 2007, 05:06 PM
JMU had it 3rd and 1 inside the ASU 10....ASU was up 28-27 with less than 30 seconds to go.

Rather than kick a game winning FG, JMU runs the ball....fumbles it. ASU recrovers. Game Over.

More things happened before that, just the ending was insane.

Sounds like a bonehead play like the famous Tx State "knee" play. Tough way to drop such an important game.

rjg129
November 24th, 2007, 05:21 PM
the game was awesome, it sucks that i have to go from a game like that back to work...i lost bout 5years of my life

ERASU2113
November 24th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Heck if I was Mathews I would have called the same thing. You run all over all game, 4 straight 4th down conversions, why not go for it? You get it it's game over.

feb18blacksunday
November 25th, 2007, 12:04 AM
4th down call was expected after the success that JMU had. I would question the run at the end, should've just kicked the FG. We were given an early Christmas present today. JMU had 40 minutes time of possesion to ASU's almost 20. It's gonna be another war up there next year.

feb18blacksunday
November 25th, 2007, 12:05 AM
4th down call was expected after the success that JMU had. I would question the run at the end, should've just kicked the FG. We were given an early Christmas present today. JMU had 40 minutes time of possesion to ASU's almost 20. It's gonna be another war up there next year.

ASU
November 25th, 2007, 12:41 AM
Everyone is questioning running the ball with 22 seconds or so left.....remember Appalachian kicking a field goad on 1st down at Michigan with what, 30 seconds remaining. Michigan got within field goal range after that and almost won the game. With the way both defenses were not able to hold toward the end of the game.....I would have run it, even after having almost 11 hours to think about it.

B&G
November 25th, 2007, 12:57 AM
Maybe he felt the kicking game had been shaky all day for both teams. I feel bad for Coach Matthews. They would've been better off going 4 and out on that possession rather than the way it ended. I wonder if the two coaching staffs will meet with each other again like they famously did in 2005.

Madisonian
November 25th, 2007, 10:42 AM
To the ASU posters on this board, I enjoyed the game very much; your facilities are excellent; your program has a lot of pride; and I appreciate your kind words over a game that I have thought about all the way home and all through the night. I would like to comment on my post game experience, however. I know I am preaching to the choir here as I know you guys see some of the idiots (same is true of JMU) that show up in Boone and are soar winners.

As I walked out of the stadium, there was the first comment "Maybe next year Dukes, Maybe...another ASU a$$whippin'."

Then there was a gentlemen who bumped into me named Matt who proceded to tell me how we had just played the greatest team in college history, a team that beat Michigan. Sadly, Matt's stature was not large enough to contain his ego nor his alcoholism. Matt's friend continued to bump into my brother-in-law (intending to start a fight), while my brother-in-law was carrying his 7 month old son.

As I stood outside the portoilet waiting on my pregnant wife, three students came by chanting "get some, get some, get some, you tried but you couldn't." I knew these were "real" fans because they weren't even wearing the team colors.

Finally, the classiest fan of all was the gentlemen hanging out of the passenger side of a blue Saab saluting the entire line of JMU fan cars as we exited River Street with his middle finger and commenting how "we just ended your season, go back and play intramurals like you deserve."

Now on a positive note, I would like to thank the gentlemen in the Neon Yellow Overalls that invited our group back to his car for drinks. I would also like to thank the folks in line with me at the portoilet that apologized for the students' antics. I would also like to thank the five gentlemen I met at the Exxon in Banner Elk who were extremely complementary and highly gracious winners.

My hats off to your team. I hope you guys can find a way to discourage the casual bandwagon fans from ruining a great AppState experience.

We have some of the same fans at JMU, and I can tell you I will be calling them out in the future and putting them on notice.

Good luck in the playoffs!

spdram
November 25th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Madisonian one of the best posts I have ever read, GREAT JOB! We all need to be reminded these kids play their hearts out, sometimes they win and sometimes they lose. The fans never play a down. We all have to be reminded our opponents are our guests, kick their butts but keep it on the field.

As for the disucssions about the game in another thread I said I felt most sorry for the JMU players, I still feel the same way. But having read the accounts of those that were there and now MM's comments, I may have gone for it on 4th and 2 also.

ASUG8
November 25th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Madisonian -
Tried to give you some points for a classy post. All schools have idiots, toss in some alcohol and you've got an a$$hat. Sorry you had a bad experience, but hopefully when you guys come back in a couple of years it will be a better experience (real toilets!). It wouldn't have hurt my feelings if you slapped all those folks - we stole a victory from you, and I feel bad that the lesser team won yesterday. We're a better team than we demonstrated yesterday, but we didn't deserve the W on this particular Saturday. Too bad the folks you ran into don't share my sentiments - they should have been congratulating or apologizing, not gloating about an ugly win. See you guys in VA next year.

Sam Adams
November 25th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Great post Madisonian. All schools have similar small % of fans. Usually young males who can't hold their liquor. In the UK they'd be known as hooligans. Why this small subsection of fans cannot seem to enjoy a sporting event without trying to start a brawl is an interesting question for sociologists. The good news is that 95% of the fans that I meet from other schools are cool. The bad news is that the remaining 5% can ruin the game experience for cool fans just trying to root for their team and have some fun.

I feel bad for JMU today, it sounds like the Dukes did everything necessary to win but didn't. Tough way to end the season, but losing to a great team like App. State is no reason to hang your head. The App State fans should be embarrassed by their own 5%.

ASUG8
November 25th, 2007, 11:33 AM
The App State fans should be embarrassed by their own 5%.

I am. Hope that came through in my prior post.

Sam Adams
November 25th, 2007, 11:49 AM
It did come through loud & clear.

The AGS folks are top notch. We aren't the ones staggering around flipping people off, starting fights and acting like a bunch of low class losers.

GboroAppFan
November 25th, 2007, 12:20 PM
[QUOTE=Madisonian;763951]...I know I am preaching to the choir here as I know you guys see some of the idiots (same is true of JMU) that show up in Boone and are soar winners.

I certainly hate to hear about your post-game experience. Sadly, the no alcohol policy is never enforced (at any stadium I have been to at least.) For what it is worth, ASU's radio play-by-play announcer really lambasted our fans that were on the field after the game.

Then again, with or with-out alcohol, some folks are just jerks. We all got them I guess, though when it is your own family, it is embarrassing.

Thank you for pointing out a problem in a very classy way. All the best to JMU and it's fans.

JMUSaxMRD
November 25th, 2007, 01:05 PM
A lot of the students were the drunks JMU does have, but I ran into a really nice guy walking back from the bus, saying how it was an amazing game and ASU just got lucky. He said the drunks and people gloating weren't the real fans, and I knew he was a real fan because he was excited about the rematch next year at the beginning of the season. In crowds like that there are always people who are nice, and people who gloat, I'm just glad I got to talk to a nice one.

AppStateold299
November 25th, 2007, 01:15 PM
I do understand that gloating is not the sportsman way to handle things, but after a gift wrapped win like that you can't really tell the fans to just walk out and say good game. Should the students charge the field? No...they shouldn't. I thought that was a little much since we were ranked #5 and JMU #13, but it was an unbelievable endiing. They got extremely excited as everyone did. If you were there you saw and heard how we errupted after the score and the turnover. I have to say JMU deserved to win that game and I feel for everyone of their players. What a horrible way to lose a game. I know there are a lot of crappy drunk fans, but there are far more excited fans.

JMUSaxMRD
November 25th, 2007, 01:18 PM
I do have to admit the halftime boxer streaker was hilarious! He got tackled right in front of the section I was in (section 7 i believe). It was a great atmosphere, its just too bad we lost :(.

AppStateold299
November 25th, 2007, 01:22 PM
I would be upset about the end of the game play calling by the coach, but it worked for him all day so I can't blame him that much. You guys played a hell of a game and it is bad that you guys had to lose, but I'm not too sad because we won. I loved seeing that streaker get tackled right there on the track.

AppMan
November 25th, 2007, 02:42 PM
To the ASU posters on this board, I enjoyed the game very much; your facilities are excellent; your program has a lot of pride; and I appreciate your kind words over a game that I have thought about all the way home and all through the night. I would like to comment on my post game experience, however. I know I am preaching to the choir here as I know you guys see some of the idiots (same is true of JMU) that show up in Boone and are soar winners.

As I walked out of the stadium, there was the first comment "Maybe next year Dukes, Maybe...another ASU a$$whippin'."

Then there was a gentlemen who bumped into me named Matt who proceded to tell me how we had just played the greatest team in college history, a team that beat Michigan. Sadly, Matt's stature was not large enough to contain his ego nor his alcoholism. Matt's friend continued to bump into my brother-in-law (intending to start a fight), while my brother-in-law was carrying his 7 month old son.

As I stood outside the portoilet waiting on my pregnant wife, three students came by chanting "get some, get some, get some, you tried but you couldn't." I knew these were "real" fans because they weren't even wearing the team colors.

Finally, the classiest fan of all was the gentlemen hanging out of the passenger side of a blue Saab saluting the entire line of JMU fan cars as we exited River Street with his middle finger and commenting how "we just ended your season, go back and play intramurals like you deserve."

Now on a positive note, I would like to thank the gentlemen in the Neon Yellow Overalls that invited our group back to his car for drinks. I would also like to thank the folks in line with me at the portoilet that apologized for the students' antics. I would also like to thank the five gentlemen I met at the Exxon in Banner Elk who were extremely complementary and highly gracious winners.

My hats off to your team. I hope you guys can find a way to discourage the casual bandwagon fans from ruining a great AppState experience.

We have some of the same fans at JMU, and I can tell you I will be calling them out in the future and putting them on notice.

Thanks for the well wishes and please realize ASU is aware of the problem and is working very diligently on trying to curb that kind of behavior. Our group tried to meet as many JMU folks as possible and welcome them to ASU. Same after the game except there isn't much you can say after a loss like that except great game and your team deserved a better fate. We look forward to visiting JMU next fall.

mountaineer in Cane Land
November 25th, 2007, 02:45 PM
I'm not making excuses for idiot behavior by our fans, anyone causing problemls should be kicked out, but bad behavior has become the norm at almost all collage football games. LSU, Georgia, VT, have all admitted they have a major problem with students getting drunk and out of control at the games. What makes matters worse, is the students know that as long as they stick togeather (7 to 10 thousand students in one section) there is nothing the authorities can do to stop them. Schools are trying to educate the students about proper behavior, but alot of the kids are almost defient, and consider it there right to express themselves any way they please. We think it is bad at App when a small number of students act like idiots, imagine the problems LSU, Vt etc. has to deal with several thousand " problem students" every weekend.

AppMan
November 25th, 2007, 02:49 PM
The only thing I'd have a problem with is handing the ball off to a redshirt freshman in that situation. Why not just have your QB run over and take a knee where you want to kick from. In my book zero handoffs ='s zero possible mistakes. You guys beat us all over the field and we had luck on our side today. We've seen far to many games come down to a game deciding play like this over the past three years and our kids know to keep on fighting and never quit. Our streak of amazing good fortune continues.

gomer
November 25th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Amen...put landers in shotgun...run straight ahead...should have done that on the 4th down play as well

mcveyrl
November 25th, 2007, 03:53 PM
I would be upset about the end of the game play calling by the coach, but it worked for him all day so I can't blame him that much. You guys played a hell of a game and it is bad that you guys had to lose, but I'm not too sad because we won. I loved seeing that streaker get tackled right there on the track.

Holy Crap!! That happened right in front of me!!!! It was great!!!

CamelCityAppFan
November 25th, 2007, 04:10 PM
First of all, great effort by JMU; helluva way to lose a game and end a season. Looking forward to the rematch at your house next season. xthumbsupx

I've been thinking about "that play", when the fumble occurred and ended the game for the Dukes. I wonder how much App's reputation as a FG blocking team played in to that, or was he just trying to get a TD to go up by 5 or 6?

It just seems like an odd choice given the circumstances...kick the figgie, take the lead, then trust your defense to hang on for a few seconds...

ChickenMan
November 25th, 2007, 04:15 PM
The only thing I'd have a problem with is handing the ball off to a redshirt freshman in that situation. Why not just have your QB run over and take a knee where you want to kick from. In my book zero handoffs ='s zero possible mistakes. You guys beat us all over the field and we had luck on our side today. We've seen far to many games come down to a game deciding play like this over the past three years and our kids know to keep on fighting and never quit. Our streak of amazing good fortune continues.

Teams that play hard tend to be 'luckier' than those who don't. ;)

james_lawfirm
November 25th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Holy Crap!! That happened right in front of me!!!! It was great!!!

That was interesting! I bet our streaker had to spend a night in jail for his moment of entertaining the crowd.

I was watching the police officer when he broke into a run from the home side of the north end zone. He hit the streaker full speed with a flying tackle that may have been the best bone jarring hit of the game. Anyone care to offer the policeman a schollie?

james_lawfirm
November 25th, 2007, 05:10 PM

GREAT POST! My sentiments 110%. I plan to travel to JMU next Sept.
Sorry for the obnoxious fans you experienced in Boone. I guess that is one unpleasant side effect of a good football team.

What a game! That was one for the ages! Playoff football does not get much better. (Well, I'd understand if you JMU fans would disagree somewhat.) But, regardless of your affiliation that was a great game, albeit a sloppy one, played by two great teams, and called by two classy coaches.

TCisMYhero
November 25th, 2007, 05:11 PM
I feel terribly for JMU fans. You gotta wonder about the playcalling. Oh well, great season, and I'm sure they'll be back next year.

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 25th, 2007, 05:15 PM
That was interesting! I bet our streaker had to spend a night in jail for his moment of entertaining the crowd.

I was watching the police officer when he broke into a run from the home side of the north end zone. He hit the streaker full speed with a flying tackle that may have been the best bone jarring hit of the game. Anyone care to offer the policeman a schollie?

....I had to laugh....great tackle........I told my wife he was probably going to moon the band.....lol

Tubby Raymond
November 25th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Take it elsewhere. xnonono2x

2009 come a little quick for ya?xbawlingx

Appdad
November 25th, 2007, 05:58 PM
I don't wonder about the play calling. Given JMU's success all day and ASU's quick score capabilities I would have made the same calls myself!

JMU has great coaches that have recruited great kids to a great school and the are coaching them up just fine!

feb18blacksunday
November 25th, 2007, 06:08 PM

The guy that really lit up the streaker is a former Linebacker @UNC. I was on the sideline during the game and some of the ASU students were outta control. I appogize to the JMU fans for their behavior , some of our fans just don't" get it" we've been to the mountain top and we need to act like it. Great game JMU and here's to next years rematch at your House.

Blue42
November 25th, 2007, 07:23 PM

Can't say I'm surprised to hear that story. After having the pleasure to interact with some of Boone's finest citizens in Chattanooga a couple years ago, nothing really surprises me.

App State has a great football team. And many of their fans are excellent. But I've seen and heard too many of these stories to not feel comfortable in saying that ASU has more than their share of young thugs looking for trouble at the games.

Bumping into a man carrying a 7 month old child?!? Well...like I said, nothing really surprises me.

AppGirl
November 25th, 2007, 07:28 PM
I do understand that gloating is not the sportsman way to handle things, but after a gift wrapped win like that you can't really tell the fans to just walk out and say good game. Should the students charge the field? No...they shouldn't. I thought that was a little much since we were ranked #5 and JMU #13, but it was an unbelievable endiing. They got extremely excited as everyone did. If you were there you saw and heard how we errupted after the score and the turnover. I have to say JMU deserved to win that game and I feel for everyone of their players. What a horrible way to lose a game. I know there are a lot of crappy drunk fans, but there are far more excited fans.

Why not? xconfusedx I did my yelling and screaming while still in the stands. Went on the field for a little while with my boys. Made a point of going up to a JMU fan still in the stands to tell her good game. Her son (3-4) said, "We lost." I told him that his team still played really well. He said that when he saw his Daddy, he was going to say, "Bad game!" His mom and I both went nuts, saying, don't say that. Not sure who exactly his dad is (coaching staff), but I hope he didn't hear that from his son. The point is, after a gift like that, there is even more reason to be a good winner and show some class.

Daved
November 25th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Even though I don't like JMU I still feel bad about their loss.Two years in a row they have suffered heart-breaking losses in which they outplayed their opponents on the road and had both games in the bag.When they came to YSU last year I was very impressed with how loud their fans cheered,how outstanding their band was ,and how hard their team played.Hopefully they will not blame these losses on their coach and will keep him there for a long long time.

74AppState
November 25th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Its pretty interesting. Some heckling Delaware fan being obnoxious to JMU with his posts like the drunk students--thanks for illustrating what most men here have that you seem to be missing: class.

Appstate29
November 25th, 2007, 08:23 PM
The guy that really lit up the streaker is a former Linebacker @UNC. I was on the sideline during the game and some of the ASU students were outta control. I appogize to the JMU fans for their behavior , some of our fans just don't" get it" we've been to the mountain top and we need to act like it. Great game JMU and here's to next years rematch at your House.

I rushed the field after the game. Why not?? It was a hell of an ending. I made it a point not to go anywhere near any JMU player and definitely not over to the visitors section of the stands though, with emotions running high over a loss like that, even seeing a guy decked out in ASU gear might have been enough to have my a** handed to me. BTW sorry to all the JMU fans who had a bad experience, we take football and drinking both very seriously, and sometimes it leads to inappropriate behavior. As a student, I can say that I've seen things that have made me ashamed of the people that attend my University, and it is something we are working on, just need to learn to hold each other accountable.

ASU88
November 25th, 2007, 08:35 PM
... But I've seen and heard too many of these stories to not feel comfortable in saying that ASU has more than their share of young thugs looking for trouble at the games.

Why don't you feel comfortable saying that?

Kidding. xlolx

I really don't imagine we have a bigger problem than most other schools. I go to quite a few games, tailgate early and often in Raley Lot and I don't see a lot of serious problems.

I do believe our recent successes have brought forth a spirit in many fans that can cross a line after a few too many drinks. Pride becomes cockiness. Debates become louder and more rude. Good-natured smack turns ugly. But it is still a small minority, no doubt.

Skjellyfetti
November 25th, 2007, 08:36 PM
I rushed the field after the game. Why not??

Same. The student section didn't erupt into the field until at least 5 or 6 players turned around and encouraged us.

I didn't see the fans taunting JMU players or coaches or fans. I believe it could have happened, and if it did I apologize for it.

Appstate29
November 25th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Same. The student section didn't erupt into the field until at least 5 or 6 players turned around and encouraged us.

I didn't see the fans taunting JMU players or coaches or fans. I believe it could have happened, and if it did I apologize for it.

I didn't either, but then again, I wasn't paying attention, too much jumping around in the middle of the field. Who would want to do that anyway?? These are huge guys, that lift weights all day, in pads and a helmet, it wouldn't even be a contest. I think even at blackout drunk I wouldn't attempt to do that (ok maybe at blackout I would).

T-Dog
November 25th, 2007, 08:44 PM

I saw a few ASU fans doing it on the field. Maybe 5-6 that I saw personally.

And we do have the issue of the bad fan with our influx of our fan base. A pitfall with every major team. It is getting better though compared to 2005 and 2006.

asufan87
November 25th, 2007, 08:48 PM
we take football and drinking both very seriously

When you say we take drinking very seriously, I hope you mean in the sense of being responsible for the safety one's self and others. If not, how sad, immature, and irresponsible.

Appstate29
November 25th, 2007, 08:57 PM
When you say we take drinking very seriously, I hope you mean in the sense of being responsible for the safety one's self and others. If not, how sad, immature, and irresponsible.

to be honest, while one's self and others safety are paramount, I meant we like to get good and drunk before a game. I am 21 years old and have the rest of my life to be happy,mature, and responsible. I think I will live a little while I can before I get a job :( , wife :( :( , and kids (which I know will be :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) but at 21 years old the prospect of having kids is actually :( :( :( , so you may look at me as an immature kid, but thats because I am.

JMU2004
November 25th, 2007, 09:02 PM
I'm sorry, but why are UD fans posting here?

Congrats go out to ASU.

JMU players/coaches/fans are heartbroken again. We feel more than a little snakebitten....

Go for 3 ASU!

asufan87
November 25th, 2007, 09:09 PM
I meant we like to get good and drunk before a game. I am 21 years old and have the rest of my life to be happy,mature, and responsible.

My sincere hope for you is that don't someday have to deal with the loss of a friend or a loved one due to the abuse of alcohol.

mistersykes
November 25th, 2007, 09:15 PM

As others have previously stated, I would like to personally express my disapointment that something like the lack of class you experienced could exist here at a great institution like ASU. I know that classless fans are a (unfortunately) vocal minority, and I know that most schools have some, but that doesn't make it okay. I hope you still enjoyed your WNC and game experience.

I look forward to the rematch, JMU Dukes!xthumbsupx

Grabholdofyosef
November 25th, 2007, 09:30 PM
I do have to admit the halftime boxer streaker was hilarious! He got tackled right in front of the section I was in (section 7 i believe). It was a great atmosphere, its just too bad we lost :(.
Please do not devalue streakers everywhere by calling someone who runs across the field in boxers a streaker. I am highly offended : )

The Moody1
November 26th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Can't say I'm surprised to hear that story. After having the pleasure to interact with some of Boone's finest citizens in Chattanooga a couple years ago, nothing really surprises me.

App State has a great football team. And many of their fans are excellent. But I've seen and heard too many of these stories to not feel comfortable in saying that ASU has more than their share of young thugs looking for trouble at the games.

Bumping into a man carrying a 7 month old child?!? Well...like I said, nothing really surprises me.

It must have been similar to the UNI fans that cussed and yelled at my wife, 9 year old son and I after we beat you. Unfortunately, no team is immune form this.

Longrifle
November 26th, 2007, 12:06 PM

Hey Madisonian. I am one of the guys from the Exxon station (dark blue chevy blazer). I apologize for the idiots. I have even called some of them out at other games. It's a shame that people can't tell the difference between opponents and enemies. We should all try to be classy and gracious (win or lose). Your QB is the real deal, the game should have been left in his hands. I for one dread the return trip next year.

Tubby Raymond
November 26th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Its pretty interesting. Some heckling Delaware fan being obnoxious to JMU with his posts like the drunk students--thanks for illustrating what most men here have that you seem to be missing: class.

Longhorn is getting back as good as he has givenxnodx . Interesting he is so polite here but so obnoxious on the CAA site.

You reap what you sow, he deserves every bit of it.xthumbsupx

FanOfAllThatIsJMU
November 26th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Once again, another good thread between JMU and ASU fans. I did not have any problems with any App State fans at all. I ate at the Boone Bagelry downtown for breakfast, which was delicious and there were plenty of App fans there and I got into a quick convo with a couple students (or young alumni) in some good natured ribbing. Just a fun atmosphere. Maybe we can get a few of the AGS posters together for a tailgate prior in Hburg next year. Good luck the rest of the way, just another unfortunate early exit for JMU.

Madisonian
November 26th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Hey Madisonian. I am one of the guys from the Exxon station (dark blue chevy blazer). I apologize for the idiots. I have even called some of them out at other games. It's a shame that people can't tell the difference between opponents and enemies. We should all try to be classy and gracious (win or lose). Your QB is the real deal, the game should have been left in his hands. I for one dread the return trip next year.

Thanks Longrifle. You and your friends are welcome at my tailgate next fall in Harrisonburg. Keep up that winning home record this December!

BDKJMU
November 27th, 2007, 11:22 AM
If this wasn't posted earlier:
http://www.dnronline.com/search_details.php?AID=13514&CHID=3&key=JMU%20football&title=&author=&channelid=

JMU Monday press conference:
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=13547&CHID=3&sub=

Maybe not JMU's most devastating sports loss ever, but cetainly the worse in 30+ years of JMU football than any of the below:
1.-91' Samford @ JMU quarterfinal playoff game (one of only 2 at home in JMU history) (Samford coached by Terry Bowden the year before he got hired by Auburn and 2 years before he coached a probationary Auburn team to 11-0 record, received national coach of the year). JMU missed last second field goal, lost I think 24-21
2. -92' ASU @ JMU ASU scored 3 TDS in the last few minutes to pull out a win by a few points, but that was a regular season game where JMU finished 4-7 (mostly close losses).
3. 94' JMU @ Marshall quarterfinal playoff game. JMU loses to #2 seed Marshall in OT 28-21.
4. -95' UR @ JMU UR scored I think it was 3 TDs late in 4th quarter to go ahead, JMU WR Macey Brooks (97' 4th round draft pick Chicago) gets tackled on the 4 yard line as time expired. JMU finishes 8-3 and loses @ ASU in the 1st round
06' 1st round playoff loss @ YSU. YSU scores with about a minute left to go ahead 35-31 and wins the game.

For those who call JMU going for it on 4th down and 1 when up 27-22 with about 3 min left at JMU's own 31 a dumb***** call here's what I posted on the CAAZone JMU board, because there was a huge debate about this call:

"Prior to being stiffed on 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 from the JMU 31, JMU was 4 for 4 on 4th down conversions and 11 of 18 on 3rd down conversions. I believe EVERY single 3rd and 1-2 and 4 and 1-2 prior to that JMU had converted. Over 300 yards rushing during the game, 40+ minutes of possession. ASU hadn't stopped JMU in that situation the WHOLE FUC*KIN GAME! Mickey's line of thinking had to be, 4th and one 80+% chance JMU makes a 1st down, runs out the clock, BALLGAME! He's got to be thinking why punt it when JMU's punting game SUCKED, (3rd team All CAA punter was a joke), and give ASU's explosive offense (ended up with 330 yards of total offense in less than 20 minutes (at that point it had been about 300 in 18)) another shot. Make that 1st down, the ASU defense had to be out of gas, and despite 2-3 ASU timeouts left, that would have been the BALLGAME and I guarantee every single person on here who is calling it a idiotic call would have been saying how ballsey it was. I have zero problem with that 4th and 1 call. In a SIMILAR situation (JMU around 300 yards rushing, 40 minutes time of possession, converted 3rd and 4th and short all game long) I hope Mickey does it again, because 8-9 times out of 10 JMU makes that 1st down and JMU wins.

Now as far as the fumble, dumb as% call to handoff to Sullivan, MM admitted so. If there was going to be a handoff to any back, it should have been Bolton (correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he is the only one in the backfield who hasn't fumbled all year- even Rodney had fumbled at least 3 times (UNC, UNH, URI) prior. But I would have had Rodney either take a knee or keep it off tackle to the left. If he got stuffed, the ball would be in the center of the field for a 26 yard field goal."

I turned to someone in the 4th and said whoever wins this game will be in Chattanooga, and I still believe that. Congrats to ASU. See you Sept 5 or 12 or whenever the ASU @ JMU game is.

BDKJMU
November 27th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Sullivan had both hands wrapped around the ball. It was just a great, prefect hit by the ASU player, helmet on ball. Hope this kid can recover from this. With JMU's All A-10/pre season All CAA Holloman back next season after receiving a med redshirt after going out for the season after the 2nd game, Sullivan should be 3rd back next year behind Holloman and Yancey.
http://www.fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2007/112007/11262007/336243

BDKJMU
November 27th, 2007, 11:40 AM
3 times this season:

UR @ JMU, UR up 17-16, (10 UR points off 2 previous JMU turnovers) JMU driving in UR territory with about a minute left, going to kick a field goal or score a TD and win the game!...interception, UR wins

JMU @ UD, UD up 37-34, (17 UD points off 3 previous turnovers) JMU driving deep in UD territory, I think around going to kick a field goal to tie or score a TD and win the game!...fumble, UD wins

Now the ASU ending.

3 quarterfinal playoff opponents, 3 potential game tying or winning drives in opponents territory with about 1/2 to 2 min left, 3 turnovers, 3 losses by 1, 3, and 1 point. ASU was almost like same *****, different team. Those 3 games 10 JMU turnovers, only 4 by opponents. Turnovers kill you, duh...

JMU fans, take heart. I've been saying since 06' that 08' would have another shot at the title. This season was a VERY young JMU team. 08' have 17-18 starters back, 10 on offense + all conference tailback Holloman, 7-8 on defense (defensive end listed as a senior can supposedly come back next season if he graduates in Dec, don't understand that). Only lose LC Baker on offense, and he missed about half the season anyway. Offense 6 of 7 top receivers, 5 of 6 top tailbacks, Landers, entire O-line, Caussin at tightend, offense will be sick next year. 20 of 22 on 2 deep offense, 18 of 22 on 2 deep defense, defense will be good. Still have to replace Lezotte and Baranowsky.