View Full Version : College Baseball World Series, how are FCS teams doing.

CenMEBlackBearFan
June 5th, 2023, 02:42 PM
I have never followed the college world series much but since my team, Maine, was in the top 64 by winning the America East conference I thought I would give it a watch on ESPN plus. After Maine was eliminated by losing to Miami and then Louisiana Tech I happened to catch "Squeeze Play" on ESPN plus. They carry 4 games simultaneously and do a great job giving audio to the game with the most action at the time, sort of like the "Red Zone". I found myself rooting for the underdog and any FCS teams. For those of you who have ESPN plus I encourage you to check it out today for the final regional games and next weekend for the super regionals.
Here the list of FCS schools that were in the 64, I may have missed some.

Indiana State- won their regional
Penn-only other FCS school that has a chance to move on, playing USM at 3:00pm today
Sam Houston
Campbell
Central Conn.
Maine
Eastern Illinois
Indiana State
Nicholls
Sort of neat watching Clemson and Vanderbilt go out as host schools. Here is a link showing regionals and who has beat who. https://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/article/2023-06-05/2023-ncaa-baseball-bracket-mens-college-world-series-scores-schedule

crusader11
June 5th, 2023, 02:43 PM
NCAA baseball tournament is one of the most underrated sports events of the year.

DFW HOYA
June 5th, 2023, 03:19 PM
Penn-only other FCS school that has a chance to move on, playing SMU at 3:00pm today

Correction: that's USM (Southern Miss), not SMU. The Mustangs dropped baseball in 1980.

https://smudailycampus.com/news/the-nightcap-asks-why-no-baseball-at-smu

CenMEBlackBearFan
June 5th, 2023, 04:35 PM
Correction: that's USM (Southern Miss), not SMU. The Mustangs dropped baseball in 1980.

https://smudailycampus.com/news/the-nightcap-asks-why-no-baseball-at-smu

My bad, USM is up 8-7 top of the 8th, go Quakers!!!

ElCid
June 5th, 2023, 04:51 PM
By my count, only 16 current FCS teams have actually made it to Omaha. Many prior to the split. Always good to see FCS teams do well in other sports.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_College_World_Series_appearances_by_team

SU DOG
June 5th, 2023, 06:26 PM
I have never followed the college world series much but since my team, Maine, was in the top 64 by winning the America East conference I thought I would give it a watch on ESPN plus. After Maine was eliminated by losing to Miami and then Louisiana Tech I happened to catch "Squeeze Play" on ESPN plus. They carry 4 games simultaneously and do a great job giving audio to the game with the most action at the time, sort of like the "Red Zone". I found myself rooting for the underdog and any FCS teams. For those of you who have ESPN plus I encourage you to check it out today for the final regional games and next weekend for the super regionals.
Here the list of FCS schools that were in the 64, I may have missed some.

Indiana State- won their regional
Penn-only other FCS school that has a chance to move on, playing USM at 3:00pm today
Sam Houston
Campbell
Central Conn.
Maine
Eastern Illinois
Indiana State
Nicholls
Sort of neat watching Clemson and Vanderbilt go out as host schools. Here is a link showing regionals and who has beat who. https://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/article/2023-06-05/2023-ncaa-baseball-bracket-mens-college-world-series-scores-schedule

I am very proud of Samford Baseball for their SoCon Championship and making it to the Auburn Regional. We were eliminated yesterday by Southern Mississippi but we did have a win vs them. Auburn went 0-2 and Penn was beaten today in the final. The Quakers made a really good showing and beat us 5-4. Some outstanding baseball played in that Regional.

Laker
June 5th, 2023, 06:33 PM
Indiana State won the regional that they hosted. They were supposed to host the super-regional but now will have to go to TCU because ISU is hosting a Special Olympics event and the hotels are taken. Unlike Kentucky who put athletes into the dorms because their hotels were full, instead of going to a nearby neutral site- Indiana, Purdue and Notre Dame come to mind not to mention the city of Indianapolis- they are going all the way to Texas.

For some schools, even when something goes right it ends up going wrong.

SU DOG
June 5th, 2023, 06:42 PM
Technically wasn't Coastal still considered FCS the year they won the College World Series? It may have been a transition year, but I believe it was the year after that feat before they were full FBS.

crusader11
June 6th, 2023, 06:37 AM
I am very proud of Samford Baseball for their SoCon Championship and making it to the Auburn Regional. We were eliminated yesterday by Southern Mississippi but we did have a win vs them. Auburn went 0-2 and Penn was beaten today in the final. The Quakers made a really good showing and beat us 5-4. Some outstanding baseball played in that Regional.

Penn certainly didn't look like a 4 seed and Auburn not a 1.

CenMEBlackBearFan
June 6th, 2023, 10:20 AM
Penn certainly didn't look like a 4 seed and Auburn not a 1.

It is so awesome seeing little brother take out Big Brother, won't see it in football so enjoy it in other sports. Looks like we root for the Sycamores!!!

clenz
June 6th, 2023, 10:43 AM
Indiana State won the regional that they hosted. They were supposed to host the super-regional but now will have to go to TCU because ISU is hosting a Special Olympics event and the hotels are taken. Unlike Kentucky who put athletes into the dorms because their hotels were full, instead of going to a nearby neutral site- Indiana, Purdue and Notre Dame come to mind not to mention the city of Indianapolis- they are going all the way to Texas.

For some schools, even when something goes right it ends up going wrong.
ISUB was lucky to get to host Regionals. Their baseball facility is bad. Like real bad.

ESPN had to chip in to get bleachers brought in, extra work to get the ability to properly broadcast the games, enough lighting for games, locker rooms, etc.

Professor Chaos
June 6th, 2023, 10:48 AM
They don't have a football program but Oral Roberts out of the Summit League is going to the super regional after winning the Stillwater regional. They have a player (Jonah Cox) who is on a 44 game hitting streak. They'll face Oregon who also pulled off an upset last weekend winning the Nashville (Vanderbilt) regional so they've got a puncher's chance at making it to Omaha.

ST_Lawson
June 6th, 2023, 02:44 PM
They don't have a football program but Oral Roberts out of the Summit League is going to the super regional after winning the Stillwater regional. They have a player (Jonah Cox) who is on a 44 game hitting streak. They'll face Oregon who also pulled off an upset last weekend winning the Nashville (Vanderbilt) regional so they've got a puncher's chance at making it to Omaha.

Yeah, ORU is just ridiculous this year. They're 49-11, 23-1 in the Summit League, and swept through both the Summit League tournament and the first regional including beating "neighbor" (80 miles down the road), #11 Oklahoma State. They have the 4th best batting average and 5th best team ERA in Division I.

clenz
June 7th, 2023, 10:25 AM
ISUB was lucky to get to host Regionals. Their baseball facility is bad. Like real bad.

ESPN had to chip in to get bleachers brought in, extra work to get the ability to properly broadcast the games, enough lighting for games, locker rooms, etc.
Based on updates to this - ISU's AD may lose his job over this and how he handled this.

He absolutely ****ed his program from a once in that school history opportunity to host a super regional and have a real shot to get to Omaha. Instead, they now have to go to, what is likely, the toughest place to paly in all of college baseball.

Tree fans are PISSED, as they should be.

ESPN and the NCAA were willing to help ISU for the supers as well, and I promise you the Special Olympics would have been the most accommodating group he could have worked with for any project at any point in his time as AD.

CenMEBlackBearFan
June 7th, 2023, 11:25 AM
Based on updates to this - ISU's AD may lose his job over this and how he handled this.

He absolutely ****ed his program from a once in that school history opportunity to host a super regional and have a real shot to get to Omaha. Instead, they now have to go to, what is likely, the toughest place to paly in all of college baseball.

Tree fans are PISSED, as they should be.

ESPN and the NCAA were willing to help ISU for the supers as well, and I promise you the Special Olympics would have been the most accommodating group he could have worked with for any project at any point in his time as AD.

Not knowing much about ISU I checked out their facilities and the Bob Warn baseball diamond looks undersized with limited seating just on the first base line but what popped up first was the AD's rebuttal to not hosting the Super Regional. The school submitted to hosting regional and Super Regional but with drew their request after the deadline. Not a good time for this guy, here is the link. https://gosycamores.com/sports/baseball

crusader11
June 7th, 2023, 11:53 AM
I just watched a statement and interview made by the ISU AD Sherard Clinkscales (https://gosycamores.com/news/2023/6/6/baseball-athletic-director-sherard-clinkscales-speaks-on-ncaa-super-regional.aspx)

Doesn't come across great here. Seems like the kind of thing where "if there's a will, there's a way."

I'd be pissed if I was an ISU alum and the team has to travel to Knoxville instead of hosting.

clenz
June 7th, 2023, 01:43 PM
Not knowing much about ISU I checked out their facilities and the Bob Warn baseball diamond looks undersized with limited seating just on the first base line but what popped up first was the AD's rebuttal to not hosting the Super Regional. The school submitted to hosting regional and Super Regional but with drew their request after the deadline. Not a good time for this guy, here is the link. https://gosycamores.com/sports/baseball
Like I mentioned before, they were lucky ESPN and the NCAA helped get them seating, lockerrooms, and AV for the regionals. They were willing to do it again for the Super Regionals.

But he withdrew the bid because of the Special Olympics, who 1000000% would have worked with ISU/the NCAA to find a a new home for the few events.

CenMEBlackBearFan
June 11th, 2023, 08:46 AM
The Sycamores gave TCU all it could handle but lose the 2nd game 6-4 and are eliminated, 2-0. Have to wonder if not playing at home was a factor.

Definitley a Oral Roberts fan after their walkoff win over Oregon to even their series at 1-1. After ORU blew a 8-0 lead on Friday they showed a lot of resilience to come back yesterday. ESPN U and ESPN + have the elimination game at 6:00 pm tonight.

Three other games at noon (Tenn-SMU suspended make up,and Alabama-Wake Forest andVirginia& Duke)
Kentukcy-LSU at 6:00pm
Texas-Sanford 9:00 pm
Make sure to watch Squeeze Play if watching on ESPN+ to watch all games simultaneoulsy.

clenz
June 11th, 2023, 10:18 PM
And that 6-4 loss for ISU in game 1 was a direct result of a 5 run 4th inning for TCU. Outside of that one inning you could (should?) argue ISU was the better team.

SDFS
June 12th, 2023, 10:11 AM
ORU on to the World Series and I didn't watch the games but ISU-B lost two straight. They were out scored 10 to 5 in a 2 games. Not sure why you would say - they could have been the better team.

Game 1: TCU (20) 4, No. 14 Indiana State 1
Game 2: TCU (20) 6, No. 14 Indiana State 4
TCU advances to the MCWS

To get into the Super Regional - they beat (RPI) Iowa (32) and Wright State (81). Not exactly murders row to get to the College World Series. I would say ISU-B had an easy path and blew it.

Sader87
June 12th, 2023, 10:14 AM
By my count, only 16 current FCS teams have actually made it to Omaha. Many prior to the split. Always good to see FCS teams do well in other sports.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_College_World_Series_appearances_by_team

I believe Holy Cross is the only current FCS school to have won the College World Series, winning it all in 1952.

Holy Cross was a very strong baseball school in the 1st half of the 20th Century....at one point during that era, they sent more players to the Majors than any other school in the country.

CenMEBlackBearFan
June 12th, 2023, 11:30 AM
Two elimination games tonight with USM-Tennesee at 6:00pm and Stanford-Texas at 8:00pm then on to Omaha.
Here are the brackets for Omaha, rooting for Oral Roberts.

https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/baseball/d1/2023?utm_campaign=inline-article

crusader11
June 12th, 2023, 12:05 PM
I believe Holy Cross is the only current FCS school to have won the College World Series, winning it all in 1952.

At a quick scan of past champions, that looks right.

Coastal Carolina and Wichita State look to be the only champions who played IAA / FCS football at some point.

NY Crusader 2010
June 12th, 2023, 07:30 PM

Holy Cross was a very strong baseball school in the 1st half of the 20th Century....at one point during that era, they sent more players to the Majors than any other school in the country.

And I believe we're also the only school in the Northeast to win the CWS. Most famous baseball alum might be Joe Dugan, who was the starting 3B on the powerful Yankees dynasty in the late 1920's, to include the 1927 season where they won 110 games. Another notable alum is Louis Sockalexis, a Native American who played for the Cleveland Spiders for a few seasons in the late 1890's. He was what led to the squad being nicknamed the Indians. I think part of the need for a name change lie in the fact that the Cleveland Spiders around that time had the worst season in the history of major league baseball to this day. Something like 20-130 overall record. The Cleveland franchise hopped the fence over to the American League once the "junior circuit" was formed in 1901.

A total of 75 Holy Cross players have appeared in a major league game but none since 1977. We do have a recent alum in AAA now with the White Sox affiliate in Charlotte -- 25 years old so clock ticking but he's been pitching well this year. NY guy actually -- an alum of Regis High School in Manhattan.

Another baseball fun fact: the first perfect game in MLB history was pitched in the late 1880's in Worcester. The city had a team in the National League for at least a handful of years prior to the turn of the century.

CenMEBlackBearFan
June 13th, 2023, 07:07 AM
Louis Sockalexis is a well renown name in Maine having grown up on Indian Island just north of the UMaine campus. His tribe, Penobscot Nation, protested the use of Chief Wahoo as the mascot for the Cleveland Indians. Did not know Sockalexis attended Holy Cross as he was recruited after Holy Cross played his team in Maine. From there to Notre Dame and then a not so good career with the Cleveland Indians- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Sockalexis

Final 8 is set for Omaha, definitely rooting for Oral Roberts as an undergdog. Crazy finish to the Texas-Stanford game as a walkoff flyball was lost in the sky by both Texas outfielders in the bottom of the 9th to give the Trees the W.
Here are the brackets for the World Series- https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/baseball/d1/2023

POD Knows
June 13th, 2023, 08:01 AM
Louis Sockalexis is a well renown name in Maine having grown up on Indian Island just north of the UMaine campus. His tribe, Penobscot Nation, protested the use of Chief Wahoo as the mascot for the Cleveland Indians. Did not know Sockalexis attended Holy Cross as he was recruited after Holy Cross played his team in Maine. From there to Notre Dame and then a not so good career with the Cleveland Indians- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Sockalexis

Final 8 is set for Omaha, definitely rooting for Oral Roberts as an undergdog. Crazy finish to the Texas-Stanford game as a walkoff flyball was lost in the sky by both Texas outfielders in the bottom of the 9th to give the Trees the W.
Here are the brackets for the World Series- https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/baseball/d1/2023
Oral Roberts has a guy with a 50 game hitting streak going. They just blew through the Summit this year. It was men against boys.

SDFS
June 13th, 2023, 10:49 AM
Oral Roberts has a guy with a 50 game hitting streak going. They just blew through the Summit this year. It was men against boys.

That could be changing - it looks like St Thomas had a nice recruiting class this year for Baseball.

crusader11
June 13th, 2023, 11:36 AM
That could be changing - it looks like St Thomas had a nice recruiting class this year for Baseball.

St. Thomas was 10-34 this season (6-18 in conference), swept by Oral Roberts (six games), and were outscored by them 66-12

Sorry if your post was in jest and went over my head.

SDFS
June 13th, 2023, 04:24 PM
St. Thomas was 10-34 this season (6-18 in conference), swept by Oral Roberts (six games), and were outscored by them 66-12

Sorry if your post was in jest and went over my head.

I have heard that they had a nice recruiting class this year. They are putting some scholarship dollars toward baseball. So, things could be building for them quickly. And yes, current team is not very good. But, StT is moving quickly into the DI athletics.

1) First year they won the PFL - I know non scholarship - but most people thought that they would be middle of the pack.
2) Basketball first year 4-14, second year 9-9 - heard the same thing last year (nice recruiting class coming in) and they improved significantly.
3) Hockey first year 7th place in CCHA. But they have a $175 million dollar on campus hockey/basketball facility opening up in 2025.

StT has always supported athletics and they are being very aggressive about the move to DI. The school is all in on the move. And it looks like the priorities are: hockey, basketball and baseball. I think football will be trailing behind slightly.

crusader11
June 13th, 2023, 04:40 PM
Agree with you that the Tommies are really emphasizing athletics and it won’t be long until they make noise nationally.

Their game against Harvard this year is one I’ll certainly have my eye on.

nodak651
June 13th, 2023, 05:08 PM
I have heard that they had a nice recruiting class this year. They are putting some scholarship dollars toward baseball. So, things could be building for them quickly. And yes, current team is not very good. But, StT is moving quickly into the DI athletics.

1) First year they won the PFL - I know non scholarship - but most people thought that they would be middle of the pack.
2) Basketball first year 4-14, second year 9-9 - heard the same thing last year (nice recruiting class coming in) and they improved significantly.
3) Hockey first year 7th place in CCHA. But they have a $175 million dollar on campus hockey/basketball facility opening up in 2025.

StT has always supported athletics and they are being very aggressive about the move to DI. The school is all in on the move. And it looks like the priorities are: hockey, basketball and baseball. I think football will be trailing behind slightly.

They will be building a nice baseball/softball facility, as will. Similar to the Omaha's (UNO). I'll be cheering for them since my brother in law played baseball and UND cut their team when they were playing as a WAC affiliate. Dumb move by douple not to offer UND a baseball spot, especially in hindsight.

It will be interesting to see how hockey and basketball draw once the new arena is built. Will they draw similar attendance or will there be a clear fan favorite?

BisonFan02
June 13th, 2023, 08:48 PM

No way about baseball. Northern schools wont sniff good recruits. Oral Roberts being in Tulsa helps them on that front. They will always be a Summit outlier.

CenMEBlackBearFan
June 16th, 2023, 06:36 AM
Here is the schedule for Omaha, basically 2pm and 7pm for the next week, GO ORU!!!
https://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/article/2023-06-15/2023-ncaa-baseball-bracket-mens-college-world-series-scores-schedule-omaha