PDA

View Full Version : We Gotta Do It Again

ngineer
September 11th, 2005, 11:54 AM
I didn't get home til 2 AM today, so I slept in. Ruminated over the sports page upon finally crawling out--the wife has gone to visit our daughter--probably figures a good day to stay away from me :D Actually, she's wrong. I thought last night's game was magnificient. Like a heavyweight prize fight-each trading haymakers and still standing proud at the end.
There was a lot of sloppiness and significant mistakes on both teams, that it is impossible to point to one turning point. Sure, Musiek's missed/tipped field goal and extra point seem to stick out, but there were a host of other opportunities that were missed. As I've stated previously, LU's achilles heel is it's kicking game and lack of depth and both were major contributors last night.
The depth aspect showed up in the fourth quarter. To me the crucial shift in the game was when UD responded to Lehigh's last regulation score in such quick fashion. If the D had been able to at least force the Hens to drive the 65 yards in 5 min. versus a few big gains in about 1:20, it would have had a significant effect on the clock management later on. PLus, the quick turnaround carries a major psychological shift. Up two scores, LU had the chance to take a stranglehold of the game and didn't. While it was a pleasant night for the fans, it was warm for football, and LU was unable to rotate enough fresh bodies and certainly looked tired hanging on in the last 8 minutes. While much was made of UD's youth, Lehigh's youth was again tested in the nature of the cornerbacks--Nelson did not dress and Thomas went down in the second half. The two soph replacements had great difficulty covering the UD receivers--hence the quick strike turnaround.. Gerran Walker left the game, not to return, after his great touchdown catch in south endzone and his threat was sorely missed in the second half.
I thought Lehigh's defensive front played magnificently. Morgan was being doubleteamed most of the night and still played great. Graziani was everywhere. The O line has also shown great improvement. Borda got hit a few times, but overall he had enough time. Mark showed the warrior he is, but definitely didn't play his best-overshooting several wr's who had beaten the UD secondary. Of course, UD can say the same. Riccio missed a few wide open receivers as well, but, again, showed a great arm and resiliency--he will be fine for the Hens this year.
This was not a moral victory for Lehigh. It is a bitter loss. To go into The Tub and play so hard and have victory within your grasp, only, to lose in such dramatic fashion can be tough to accept. I believe the game showed both teams are top 15 schools--especially in light of what I see having occured around the country. It's too bad this series cannot be renewed on a more regular basis. Hens--beg your AD to get out of the love affair with West Chester and make this a regular 'one night stand' every year. Last night's game is was truly what "college football is all about". A lot of players learned alot about themselves last night.
Here's hoping we can 'do it again' in December. ;)

Lehigh Football Nation
September 11th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Great analysis, ngineer. I dont' think I've ever seen such physical battering in a Lehigh game in all the games I've seen. 2 starting corners down, Matt Purdy not at 100% - and Borda and Rath getting punished seemingly on every other play. I will not forget that OT drive by Lehigh for a long time. Rath, Borda and the offensive line did it on pure blood and spit. If there is a big building block for Lehigh the rest of the year, it's that drive. They should play that tape before every game. The CN8 announcers, whom all night couldn't seem to praise UD enough, were absolutely beside themselves with praise.

It's just too bad that it had to end the way it did. Poor VMI. They are going to really feel it 2 weeks from now.

RadMann
September 11th, 2005, 03:02 PM
The Lehigh team did show a lot of guts on that OT drive.

http://www.hazelnet.org/icon/monkeydance.gif

Delaware Ghostrider II
September 11th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Great post...that HAS to go down as one of the game of the year candidates for 2005!!!!!

blukeys
September 11th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Hens--beg your AD to get out of the love affair with West Chester and make this a regular 'one night stand' every year. Last night's game is was truly what "college football is all about". A lot of players learned alot about themselves last night.
Here's hoping we can 'do it again' in December. ;)

We have a contract with West Chester that lasts until the end of the decade. Believe me the Hen faithful have made their feelings regarding the Rams known to the AD. However the AD's boss Roselle is a West Chester grad. Guess who wins in that situation? In addition the West Chester head coach is a former UD QB who took the Hens to a NC game in 1974.

In all fairness to WCUPA they bring as many visitors to the Tub as any visiting team and so the game is always well attended. (I think it may be sold out this year)

I think Lehigh's chances of making the playoffs are excellent. I watched the Colgate Umass game and while Colgate played inspired football they don't have the playmakers that Lehigh has. Delaware's road to the playoffs is tougher in my view. Yesterday's losses by Umass and JMU will only make the Delaware game more important to those 2 teams. Typically very few A-10 teams have trouble getting up for Delaware. One observation, Delaware will be a much better team in December than they were last night.

colgate13
September 11th, 2005, 06:13 PM
I watched the Colgate Umass game and while Colgate played inspired football they don't have the playmakers that Lehigh has. .

Agreed... yet. You saw two freshman running backs, a freshman right tackle and a sophomore QB. We may fall short this year, but there is some talent that you will hear about in a few. Stay tuned! ;)

hawkineer
September 11th, 2005, 07:14 PM
I agree that LU and UD need to play regularly. It was a special rivalry when I was at LU in the late 70's/early 80's. It certainly appears that it could be again.

However, based on the commitment to Villanova for the next 4 years it appears aways off.

If the two ADs can work something out in the future, it needs to be a home and home arrangement. While the atmosphere at Delaware Stadium has to be experienced, I suspect a full house at Goodman for Delaware-LU would be something special too.

blukeys
September 11th, 2005, 07:20 PM
Agreed... yet. You saw two freshman running backs, a freshman right tackle and a sophomore QB. We may fall short this year, but there is some talent that you will hear about in a few. Stay tuned! ;)

Agreed 13. I was amazed at how Biddle got this team turned around after last week's loss. Beating a quality opponent with a back up quarterback also ranks up there. Physically, Colgate looked more intense and in my view that was a factor in the turnover battle.

UD77
September 11th, 2005, 07:23 PM
Lehigh is a class act team with good coaching and players. I would love to see UD drop West Chester for Lehigh in the future. Don't think it will happen but would love to see it. :(