PDA

View Full Version : FCS Coverage on ESPN

CoastalFan2005
November 23rd, 2007, 02:27 PM
I don't know about you guys, but as I sit here watching the Del State/Delaware game on ESPN (not ESPN2, ESPN Classic or ESPNU), I'm actually far more impressed by the amount of time they spent talking about the FCS during halftime than they have in recent years. In the past, they just ignored it altogether and spent more time talking about whether or not Southern Cal deserved to do something. This year, they actually showed the teams in the playoffs, asked who Lou Holtz & Mark May thought would win the whole thing...

Don't get me wrong, I'd still like to see a tad bit more coverage sent our way - but I think what I saw during the halftime show today is a step in the right direction, at the very least.

Col Hogan
November 23rd, 2007, 03:00 PM
I don't know about you guys, but as I sit here watching the Del State/Delaware game on ESPN (not ESPN2, ESPN Classic or ESPNU), I'm actually far more impressed by the amount of time they spent talking about the FCS during halftime than they have in recent years. In the past, they just ignored it altogether and spent more time talking about whether or not Southern Cal deserved to do something. This year, they actually showed the teams in the playoffs, asked who Lou Holtz & Mark May thought would win the whole thing...

Don't get me wrong, I'd still like to see a tad bit more coverage sent our way - but I think what I saw during the halftime show today is a step in the right direction, at the very least.

A baby step...but agreed...in the right direction...xpeacex

Mr. Tiger
November 23rd, 2007, 03:18 PM
I am impressed. ESPN has done a good job today.

RadMann
November 23rd, 2007, 03:22 PM
Agreed, this is the best FCS ESPN coverage I have seen. I remember how bad it was in '03 when UD won the championship. Comparatively, this is great.

Bear84
November 23rd, 2007, 03:22 PM

Just got in and missed the halftime. Not that these guys are FCS experts, but who did they pick?

Bear84
November 23rd, 2007, 03:27 PM
Never mind, just saw the other post about this. Lou picked UNI and May picked Montana.

Col Hogan
November 23rd, 2007, 03:27 PM
Holtz - UNI
May - Montana

dgreco
November 23rd, 2007, 04:00 PM
even the announcers did a good job and stayed away from the whole backstory about DSU/UD and talked about the teams and FCS more from what I caught.

mistersykes
November 23rd, 2007, 04:03 PM
I was very impressed. In past years, the ESPN FCS coverage has been so dismal that it was better to leave it on "mute" and leave the covering to the radio.

I hope they keep it up throughout the playoffs and continue to improve!xthumbsupx

DC 'gater
November 23rd, 2007, 04:04 PM
Now if they can keep Gilmore, ESPN's not Holy Cross', off the Title game it will be great.

slostang
November 23rd, 2007, 04:07 PM
Are any of the other first round games on ESPN or ESPN2? If so, what time?

RAMS83
November 23rd, 2007, 04:55 PM
FORDHAM - UMASS ESPNU. NOT SURE IF YOU GET THE CHANNEL BUT TOLD YOU CAN GET FOR 9.95 FOR THE DAY. UMASS IS FAVORED AND SHOULD BE. TOUGHER CONFERENCE AND 16 1A TRANSFER. IM A FORDHAM FAN AND WE HAVE A TERRIFIC QB 6;5 200 GUNSLINGER AND EXCITING OFFENSE USING 4 AND 5 WIDEOUTS. HOPING WE MAKE IT A GAME. ILL CROSS MY FINGERS AND HOPE FOR A FORDHAM RAM WIN.

FORDHAM 31
UMASS 30

Uncle Buck
November 23rd, 2007, 04:59 PM
I have to agree about the game today, Donnan's (sp?) 1AA experience brought a lot IMO. He complimented players and called the game as it should be, at the level of two playoff teams. Sometimes the announcers dummy it down like the viewers are watching little league kids go at it. Much better job today.

KiddBrewer
November 23rd, 2007, 05:02 PM
never thought id see the day, but they did actually do a good job today....too bad the game sucked xthumbsupx

FCS Go!
November 23rd, 2007, 05:03 PM
I didn't even bother to watch at half-time and now I'm bummed I missed it :( . Nice to hear that there is some progress.

unigriff
November 23rd, 2007, 05:20 PM
at least Lou said we were UNI and not NIU:)

RadMann
November 23rd, 2007, 05:44 PM
Yeah, and they did not call UD "DU"....

Griz40
November 23rd, 2007, 05:46 PM

IMO today was much better than anything they had going on last year with the coverage they had. I hope it is a positive trend that keeps going. I have to wonder if some of this isn't due to the App win over michigan tho? If so, GREAT, if not....even better!!!!!

89Hen
November 23rd, 2007, 06:46 PM
Full house looked good too. 89Hen even made it on TV twice in the third quarter. xsmiley_wix xnodx

blackfordpu
November 23rd, 2007, 06:52 PM
Which of the games tomorrow are going to be televised?

Syntax Error
November 23rd, 2007, 07:01 PM
Which of the games tomorrow are going to be televised?click on the link banner at the top of the page

danefan
November 23rd, 2007, 07:06 PM
Not sure if it was posted yet or not, but here is the ESPN.com recap:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=273270048

Syntax Error
November 23rd, 2007, 09:22 PM
ESPN halftime coverage:

USC recap

then Arkansas recap

then Kansas preview

then Missouri preview

then commercial

then EGG BOWL review

then Nebraska review

then commercial

then Holtz pep talk for FBS

then commercial

then FBS loooooooooooong preview

THEN FCS talk for 60 seconds (I timed it)

then MLB talk

then commercial

===============

You guys are easy to please. ESPN, "STILL BLOWING CHUNKS AFTER ALL THESE YEARS"

CoastalFan2005
November 24th, 2007, 12:18 AM
ESPN halftime coverage:

USC recap

then Arkansas recap

then Kansas preview

then Missouri preview

then commercial

then EGG BOWL review

then Nebraska review

then commercial

then Holtz pep talk for FBS

then commercial

then FBS loooooooooooong preview

THEN FCS talk for 60 seconds (I timed it)

then MLB talk

then commercial

===============

You guys are easy to please. ESPN, "STILL BLOWING CHUNKS AFTER ALL THESE YEARS"

Dude: Chill out. I didn't say it was the best it could be. I said it was a step in the right direction. I don't think I've read anyone in this thread say, "WOW OMG ESPN IS THE BEST AFTER TODAY OMG OMG OMG!"

If we're easy to please, then you're beyond hard to please.

PS - as for the MLB talk, I'm sure they would have mentioned that during halftime of ANY game, not just an FCS one. The dude DIED. I think that deserves a mention, yet it seems to me like you're trying to somehow suggest that FCS is more important than someone's death.

Calif_Colonial
November 24th, 2007, 12:47 AM
IMO today was much better than anything they had going on last year with the coverage they had. I hope it is a positive trend that keeps going. I have to wonder if some of this isn't due to the App win over michigan tho? If so, GREAT, if not....even better!!!!!

I agree, last couple of years I would have a classic rock station playing on my system with the sound muted on the TV. Switch back and forth for awhile unitll they would start saying Division II Football etc. . . . . and I would have to back to the music.

Syntax Error
November 24th, 2007, 01:18 AM
Dude: Chill the hell out. I didn't say it was the best it could be. I said it was a step in the right direction. I don't think I've read anyone in this thread say, "WOW OMG ESPN IS THE BEST AFTER TODAY OMG OMG OMG!"
If we're easy to please, then you're beyond hard to please. xrolleyesx
PS - as for the MLB talk, I'm sure they would have mentioned that during halftime of ANY game, not just an FCS one. The dude DIED. I think that deserves a mention, yet it seems to me like you're trying to somehow suggest that FCS is more important than someone's death.On your shoulder is there a chip? All I did was point out that of the entire halftime there was 60 seconds of halftime coverage. I also noted that many here were thankful for that and I hinted that I thought that might be a little too easy to receive. One even said it "IS THE BEST" so please cool off CF2005. There are higher bars to aim for than 60 seconds in a 20 minute break. I guess that's "beyond hard to please." NOT! The only way I'd appreciate that halftime of a D-I championship is if they spent more than a tiny fraction of it talking about the actual championship playoff game they were covering.

As Steve Martin used to say, "EXCUUUUUUUUUUUSE MEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

You may like the FBS talk and all but I want to hear analysis of the event. As someone who actually has recordings from the past, this year was no more or less than last year.

Syntax Error
November 24th, 2007, 01:21 AM
I agree, last couple of years I would have a classic rock station playing on my system with the sound muted on the TV. Switch back and forth for awhile unitll they would start saying Division II Football etc. . . . . and I would have to back to the music.You should continue that. Rock out! xnodx

CoastalFan2005
November 24th, 2007, 01:37 AM
One even said it "IS THE BEST" so please cool off CF2005.

If you're referring to this...

Agreed, this is the best FCS ESPN coverage I have seen. I remember how bad it was in '03 when UD won the championship. Comparatively, this is great.

I'm not sure I agree that RadMann is implying that, as I said, ESPN is "OMG THE BEST AFTER TODAY." RadMann is saying that ESPN's coverage today is the best he has seen to date. Methinks there's a difference.

As for the rest of your post...

On your shoulder is there a chip?

Nope. Thanks for asking.

All I did was point out that of the entire halftime there was 60 seconds of halftime coverage. I also noted that many here were thankful for that and I hinted that I thought that might be a little too easy to receive.

And all I did was point out that ESPN's coverage today was better than in previous years. If being thankful for something being better is a bad thing, then allow me to be wrong for a moment.

There are higher bars to aim for than 60 seconds in a 20 minute break. I guess that's "beyond hard to please." NOT! The only way I'd appreciate that halftime of a D-I championship is if they spent more than a tiny fraction of it talking about the actual championship playoff game they were covering.

Again...all I pointed out in my initial post was that this year was better than past years. I even kicked in a "I'd like to see more, but this is a step in the right direction"-type comment. Didn't say I disagreed with it not being enough coverage; just said I was impressed at how much better I noticed it being this year than previous years.

As Steve Martin used to say, "EXCUUUUUUUUUUUSE MEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

You may like the FBS talk and all but I want to hear analysis of the event. As someone who actually has recordings from the past, this year was no more or less than last year.

Did I SAY I liked "FBS talk?" Search the thread - don't think I did. And I know you'll likely come back with "I never said you said you liked FBS talk" - however, it's implied right there above.

xpeacex :)

Syntax Error
November 24th, 2007, 01:41 AM
It wasn't any better than the past.

I'm still not willing to do cartwheels or start a thread in thanks. xtwocentsx

CoastalFan2005
November 24th, 2007, 01:43 AM
It wasn't any better, maybe even less.

Opinions are like buttholes - everyone has them, and they all stink. We obviously differ and aren't going to agree, but that's cool. Later! xpeacex

Syntax Error
November 24th, 2007, 01:45 AM
Opinions are like ...At least I have proof.

CoastalFan2005
November 24th, 2007, 01:48 AM
At least I have proof.

Dude, I'm trying to end the conversation amicably before we both get way too involved over something that matters naught in our daily lives. I have no clue what the quoted post above means, but as far as I'm concerned, our discussion is over because there's no point in arguing about this topic. Let's drop it and move on with our lives! :) xpeacex

Syntax Error
November 24th, 2007, 02:01 AM
You know I have been a critic of the slight coverage ESPN gives the D-I playoffs. So you knew I would be able to bring a knowlegable argument to this thread. No offense to you personally, so let's not get personal. One minute is a disgrace. I think you would agree with that. I was not surprised. I was surprised with this thread where people said it was fine and good and dandy and even the best. ESPN has continually underperformed in its committment to the D-I playoffs and treats it like the stepchild in its contract with the NCAA. I do wish the NCAA would split the contract in the future (which I've heard it may do) to get the appropriate coverage for its different sports. Geez we know the halftime show should be all about FCS but we only got a minute! Gnite.

Griz40
November 24th, 2007, 02:22 AM
It wasn't any better than the past.

I'm still not willing to do cartwheels or start a thread in thanks. xtwocentsx

It WAS better than the past.....I can't remember where there were comments made beyond picks. I also saw reruns of App blocking a punt and running it back for a touchdown. I don't recall who they were playing, but it doesn't matter because of the national coverage that FCS got. If you got that good of a memory that you can recall better FCS coverage then please correct me. Don't do cartwheels unless you need to for exercise or playing with the kids. This thread was not a "Thank you ESPN for props to the FCS" thread. None of us are happy with the amount of halftime coverage.....but it was improved over last year.