PDA

View Full Version : Best QB of this century

The Cats
May 24th, 2023, 07:49 AM
Who's the best FCS football QB of the 21st century?

Keep in mind, the 21 century started on 1 January 2001.

SU DOG
May 24th, 2023, 08:52 AM
Not sure what criteria is to be used. While I would like to have a Samford QB named here, I think I have a good choice in saying Jimmy Garoppolo of Eastern Illinois.

ST_Lawson
May 24th, 2023, 08:54 AM
Who's the best FCS football QB of the 21st century?

Keep in mind, the 21 century started on 1 January 2001.

Like, best when they were playing in the FCS specifically, or best overall? Just asking because sometimes you have players who are spectacular in college and then fizzle out in the NFL (if they even make the NFL) or players who did fairly well in college and just took off in the NFL.

The ones that really stood out to me would be guys like Armanti Edwards (Appalachian State), Taylor Heinicke (Old Dominion), and Eric Barriere (Eastern Washington).

If Lindsey Scott Jr. had done what he did last year for a couple more years in the FCS, he'd be up there.

Jimmy Garoppolo gets points for leading a team that was not really a historic "powerhouse" to a decent amount of success.

MR. CHICKEN
May 24th, 2023, 10:26 AM
JOE FLACCO......32804........DUH!

Tribe4SF
May 24th, 2023, 10:29 AM
Lang Campbell!!!

caribbeanhen
May 24th, 2023, 10:46 AM
Armanti but Flacco if you include his big NFL career

The Cats
May 24th, 2023, 10:50 AM
Like, best when they were playing in the FCS specifically, or best overall? Just asking because sometimes you have players who are spectacular in college and then fizzle out in the NFL (if they even make the NFL) or players who did fairly well in college and just took off in the NFL.

The ones that really stood out to me would be guys like Armanti Edwards (Appalachian State), Taylor Heinicke (Old Dominion), and Eric Barriere (Eastern Washington).

If Lindsey Scott Jr. had done what he did last year for a couple more years in the FCS, he'd be up there.

Jimmy Garoppolo gets points for leading a team that was not really a historic "powerhouse" to a decent amount of success.

Id say best when playing in the FCS...

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 24th, 2023, 11:57 AM
Armanti Edwards would get my vote!

Ryan Fitzpatrick definitely deserves consideration too. I also think Brock Jensen will forever be overlooked despite the fact he was excellent.....

POD Knows
May 24th, 2023, 12:05 PM
Depends on how you define “best”, is it stats, is it winning and leadership? If it is leadership and winning, I would put Easton Stick for NDSU up there.

UNHWildcat18
May 24th, 2023, 02:18 PM
Ricky Santos UNH

FUBeAR
May 24th, 2023, 04:19 PM
Ingle Martin, Furman, 2004-2005

probably not “the best,” but qualifies to be in the conversation.

FUBeAR Hot Take: Furman’s current QB may be better.

uofmman1122
May 24th, 2023, 04:35 PM
It's absolutely Armanti Edwards.

Daytripper
May 24th, 2023, 05:04 PM
Armanti Edwards, but based on FCS production the homer in me might toss out the name of Jeremiah Briscoe.

uni88
May 24th, 2023, 05:29 PM

xthumbsupx Definitely Edwards based on his FCS play vs the others.

Richie Williams was a helluva leader too.

No mention of Tony Romo? 2 of his 3 starting seasons were in this century.

ncspiderfan
May 24th, 2023, 05:49 PM
Armanti Edwards was best remember seeing as far as both throwing it and running it. He gets my vote.

Got to see him a lot too, as Spiders played App State three straight years from 2007-2009 in playoffs.

As for being a team leader will give a shout out to Eric Ward of Spiders 2006-2009 teams. Did not have flashy stats, but just was a great leader and won games. 41-12 for his career including 6-5 freshman year. Compiled a good record playing 5 to 6 ranked conference teams every year during the regular season back in A10/CAA stronger years. 2-2 vs FBS and 1-2 vs Edwards. 7-2 playoff record, if I remember, did not look it up.
Probably not near all time great QB, but figure few remember his leadership of the Spiders from those years, so thought I would give him a plug.

As a sidebar, one of his backups was Will Healy of Austin Peay coaching fame.

caribbeanhen
May 24th, 2023, 06:41 PM
Armanti Edwards was best remember seeing as far as both throwing it and running it. He gets my vote.

Got to see him a lot too, as Spiders played App State three straight years from 2007-2009 in playoffs.

As for being a team leader will give a shout out to Eric Ward of Spiders 2006-2009 teams. Did not have flashy stats, but just was a great leader and won games. 41-12 for his career including 6-5 freshman year. Compiled a good record playing 5 to 6 ranked conference teams every year during the regular season back in A10/CAA stronger years. 2-2 vs FBS and 1-2 vs Edwards. 7-2 playoff record, if I remember, did not look it up.
Probably not near all time great QB, but figure few remember his leadership of the Spiders from those years, so thought I would give him a plug.

As a sidebar, one of his backups was Will Healy of Austin Peay coaching fame.

Eric Ward was damn good

KPSUL
May 24th, 2023, 06:49 PM
JOE FLACCO......32804........DUH!

Flacco vs. Rick Santos:

Santos - 2 wins
Flacco - 2 Losses

Herder
May 24th, 2023, 06:54 PM
Edwards, Jensen, Stick. . . Each with 3 titles. I think that separates them.

ncspiderfan
May 24th, 2023, 07:53 PM
Edwards, Jensen, Stick. . . Each with 3 titles. I think that separates them.

App State's first was 2005. Edwards then had two. 2006 and 2007. Richmond beat them 2008 then Montana beat them in 2009 after App State had eliminated Richmond the week before.

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 24th, 2023, 09:25 PM
App State's first was 2005. Edwards then had two. 2006 and 2007. Richmond beat them 2008 then Montana beat them in 2009 after App State had eliminated Richmond the week before.

Richie Williams was very good in his own right!

https://www.goupstate.com/gcdn/authoring/2005/10/22/NHEJ/ghows-NC-828ab49a-0c8e-4235-b892-3043354c341b-acbf1b13.jpeg?width=300&height=433&fit=crop&format=pjpg&auto=webp

JMU's Rodney Landers was awesome too. It's a shame his injury against Montana in the playoffs happened because I think it altered history a bit. Reminds me a bit of Colt McCoy against Alabama around the same time....

Gil Dobie
May 25th, 2023, 06:55 AM
Easton Stick was 49-3 as a starter.

clenz
May 25th, 2023, 08:07 AM
Flacco vs. Rick Santos:

Santos - 2 wins
Flacco - 2 Losses
Shiney white shoes vs Eric Sanders:

Santos - 0 wins
Sanders - 3 wins

Bisonator
May 25th, 2023, 08:15 AM
Yep

ST_Lawson
May 25th, 2023, 08:34 AM
Easton Stick was 49-3 as a starter.

Which is incredibly impressive, for sure, but I think he doesn't get as much attention because there were so many good players on those teams.
Ground game guys like King Frazier and Chase Morlock, then later Bruce Anderson. O-Line guys Joe Haeg, Zach Johnson, Landon Lechler, Austin Kuhnert, and Tanner Volson.
And I'm not even going to dig into all the defensive power that NDSU had in that timeframe...although I will mention Jabril Cox.

Was Stick a really good QB...absolutely. But I also feel like a number of really good QBs would have succeeded with the rest of those teams. When I think of the best QBs in the FCS, I usually think of guys who took their teams to the playoffs, but without them, might not have even had a winning season. NDSU went 15-0 in 2018 with Stick as QB, but without Stick...they're probably 10-1 or 9-2 going into the playoffs, still end up with a top 8 seed, and still make a deep playoff run. They might not win the championship and go undefeated, but they're still one of the best teams in the FCS.

Compare that with Garoppolo at EIU in 2013...without Jimmy G there, they probably don't make the playoffs.

SFA 93
May 25th, 2023, 10:06 AM
JEREMY MOSES (SFA)
CMP:1,184;YDS:13,401;TD:121

2010 WALTER PAYTON AWARD WINNER
2X SLC POY

100%GRIZ
May 25th, 2023, 10:25 AM
Double DD of MT was kind of good too, as a player in FCS, and a Coach up North!

Gil Dobie
May 26th, 2023, 07:44 AM
Which is incredibly impressive, for sure, but I think he doesn't get as much attention because there were so many good players on those teams.
Ground game guys like King Frazier and Chase Morlock, then later Bruce Anderson. O-Line guys Joe Haeg, Zach Johnson, Landon Lechler, Austin Kuhnert, and Tanner Volson.
And I'm not even going to dig into all the defensive power that NDSU had in that timeframe...although I will mention Jabril Cox.

Was Stick a really good QB...absolutely. But I also feel like a number of really good QBs would have succeeded with the rest of those teams. When I think of the best QBs in the FCS, I usually think of guys who took their teams to the playoffs, but without them, might not have even had a winning season. NDSU went 15-0 in 2018 with Stick as QB, but without Stick...they're probably 10-1 or 9-2 going into the playoffs, still end up with a top 8 seed, and still make a deep playoff run. They might not win the championship and go undefeated, but they're still one of the best teams in the FCS.

Compare that with Garoppolo at EIU in 2013...without Jimmy G there, they probably don't make the playoffs.

Stick is the best college QB the played for NDSU during FCS play. When Wentz got hurt, Stick came in and took NDSU to 8 straight wins, including playoff games, as a Freshman. Wentz came back for the championship game. He has been overlooked because of the players and teams he played with. We didn't see enough of Trey Lance to put him above Stick. Jensen is a close second. Walker and Wentz are in the discussion.

Henny
May 26th, 2023, 08:26 AM
Flacco vs. Rick Santos:

Santos - 2 wins
Flacco - 2 Losses

LOL

Flacco - Super Bowl MVP
Santos - Third stringer for Montreal

The answer to the original question is Armanti Edwards.

caribbeanhen
May 26th, 2023, 09:29 AM
LOL

Flacco - Super Bowl MVP

Boom

It’s all true !

KPSUL
May 27th, 2023, 12:54 PM
LOL

Flacco - Super Bowl MVP

Flacco was an upper tier NFL QB, but he wasn't even among the Top 5 FCS/1AA QBs of the last 22 years. He had a two year career at Delaware, and a losing record his first year. He was a very effective QB his 2nd year, a solid playoffs performance, and a 2nd place finish. I never made the statement that Santos was the #1 FCS QB so far in the 21st Century; however, his performance at the FCS level was more impressive than Flacco's; arguably Rick Santos was a top 5 FCS QB in the period in question. And my very brief post was in response to Mr Chicken's post implying that it was a no brainer that Flacco was the best 21st Century FCS QB - which is a ridiculous assertion.

If you think that pro football achievement should be the primary criteria for evaluating FCS QBs, why did you declare Edwards as the Best FCS QB? Using your logic, it would have to be Flacco.

100%GRIZ
May 27th, 2023, 12:57 PM
Double DD of MT was kind of good too, as a player in FCS, and a Coach up North!

DD aka Dave Dickenson of Montana!

KPSUL
May 27th, 2023, 01:09 PM
Shiney white shoes vs Eric Sanders:

Santos - 0 wins
Sanders - 3 wins

Santos graduated in 2007, and a guy name Grace threw for 250 yards and ran for 82 yards for UNI in 2008 so I'd assume he was the QB.

So: Sanders 2, Santos 0

All three of those UNH vs UNI games were memorable!

uni88
May 27th, 2023, 11:01 PM
DD aka Dave Dickenson of Montana!

This century?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MR. CHICKEN
May 28th, 2023, 07:16 AM
Flacco was an upper tier NFL QB, but he wasn't even among the Top 5 FCS/1AA QBs of the last 22 years. He had a two year career at Delaware, and a losing record his first year. He was a very effective QB his 2nd year, a solid playoffs performance, and a 2nd place finish. I never made the statement that Santos was the #1 FCS QB so far in the 21st Century; however, his performance at the FCS level was more impressive than Flacco's; arguably Rick Santos was a top 5 FCS QB in the period in question. And my very brief post was in response to Mr Chicken's post implying that it was a no brainer that Flacco was the best 21st Century FCS QB - which is a ridiculous assertion.

If you think that pro football achievement should be the primary criteria for evaluating FCS QBs, why did you declare Edwards as the Best FCS QB? Using your logic, it would have to be Flacco.

....UMMMM!.......NEVER SAID BEST FCS QB........THREAD TITLE.......IS NOT COMPLETELY CLEAR...(SPECIFIC)...AH'D AGREE WHIFF ARMANTI....AS FCS........BUT SEVERAL UH QB'S LISTED....WENT ON TA TRY NFL......FLACCO......INKED UH 180 MIL DEAL....(IFIN' NOT MISTAKEN)......AFTER RAVENS....BLING!........HUNG 'ROUND LONG TIME GI......HE'S PREMIER QB...FROM FCS TA NFL.....IN TWO THOUSANDS...BAWK!

ps....POSTS #2/#3.....QUESTIONED THREAD TITLE...AN' ONE MENTIONED GRAPPOLO....SO AH WENT WHIFF FLACCO.......AH'M UH SERIOUS I-AA/FCS....FAN....WHO DILLIGENTLY.....AVOIDS...STUPID POSTS...AH RESSPONDED EARLY IN THREAD......B/4....IT BECAME CLEAR.....TALKIN' FCS........xsighxxsighx......DOODLE-DOO!

caribbeanhen
May 28th, 2023, 09:15 AM

You can say it …. National Championship game

New Hampshire and Ricky Santos have never played in one

MR. CHICKEN
May 28th, 2023, 10:18 AM
Santos graduated in 2007, and a guy name Grace threw for 250 yards and ran for 82 yards for UNI in 2008 so I'd assume he was the QB.

So: Sanders 2, Santos 0

All three of those UNH vs UNI games were memorable!

.....YEAH....OURAH GAMES WHIFF UNI.....WERE MEMORABLE..TOO......'CAUSE....WE WON 'EM.......FLACCO....ENGINEERED ONE OF 'UM!........BRAWK!

KPSUL
May 28th, 2023, 11:23 AM

....UMMMM!.......NEVER SAID BEST FCS QB........THREAD TITLE.......IS NOT COMPLETELY CLEAR...(SPECIFIC)...AH'D AGREE WHIFF ARMANTI....AS FCS........BUT SEVERAL UH QB'S LISTED....WENT ON TA TRY NFL......FLACCO......INKED UH 180 MIL DEAL....(IFIN' NOT MISTAKEN)......AFTER RAVENS....BLING!........HUNG 'ROUND LONG TIME GI......HE'S PREMIER QB...FROM FCS TA NFL.....IN TWO THOUSANDS...BAWK!

ps....POSTS #2/#3.....QUESTIONED THREAD TITLE...AN' ONE MENTIONED GRAPPOLO....SO AH WENT WHIFF FLACCO.......AH'M UH SERIOUS I-AA/FCS....FAN....WHO DILLIGENTLY.....AVOIDS...STUPID POSTS...AH RESSPONDED EARLY IN THREAD......B/4....IT BECAME CLEAR.....TALKIN' FCS........xsighxxsighx......DOODLE-DOO!

I hear ya! The criteria wasn't clear initially, but I figured it meant a QB's total career in 1AA/FCS football. I would concede that Flacco was the best NFL QB to come out of FCS football in the 21st Century; with Tony Romo a pretty close 2nd.

Armanti may be the best pick using only 1AA/FCS performance, but playing on one of the NDSU teams that has won multiple Championships and 90%+ of their games, like Easton Stick or Trey Lance, is also a compelling argument. It's really tough picking a #1, Top Five is probably easier, but drawing a firm line anywhere is not easy.

KPSUL
May 28th, 2023, 11:52 AM
You can say it …. National Championship game

New Hampshire and Ricky Santos have never played in one

Gee, I didn't know that, but there's always next season! Most older UNH fans were also long suffering Red Sox and Patriots fans before they finally won World Series / Super Bowl championships. I'd have to say it ain't that bad supporting a team that plays hard, usually over-achieves, and frequently plays better in the 2nd half of the season than the 1st.

So I'll go back and change it from "2nd Place Finish", to "National Championship Game participant and loser", will that make you happier?

I don't believe that the post of mine you quoted was in response to anything you said. To keep this in context, I'd recommend you stay away from nitpicking semantics, and instead address the substance of my quote which can be found in the last paragraph:

caribbeanhen
May 29th, 2023, 08:41 AM
Gee, I didn't know that, but there's always next season! Most older UNH fans were also long suffering Red Sox and Patriots fans before they finally won World Series / Super Bowl championships. I'd have to say it ain't that bad supporting a team that plays hard, usually over-achieves, and frequently plays better in the 2nd half of the season than the 1st.

So I'll go back and change it from "2nd Place Finish", to "National Championship Game participant and loser", will that make you happier?

I don't believe that the post of mine you quoted was in response to anything you said. To keep this in context, I'd recommend you stay away from nitpicking semantics, and instead address the substance of my quote which can be found in the last paragraph:

save the lecture KPSUL and take your zinger like a man

my comment to you not worth your time….

What has Santos done to improve the Wildcats this off-season?

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 29th, 2023, 11:15 AM
If we're considering FCS and professional accolade then Bo Levi Mitchell has to be up for consideration! Dude has had one helluva run.....

2010 FCS Champ
2011 Walter Payton Award Winner
2x CFL MVP
2x Grey Cup Champion
2x Grey Cup MVP

KPSUL
May 29th, 2023, 02:56 PM
What has Santos done to improve the Wildcats this off-season?

Continued to provide leadership and inspiration to the team.
Retained a very good coaching staff
Lost no one to the transfer portal that was expected to play on the two deep this season.

As far as transfers and incoming Freshmen, there are very few holes left to fill. And there were very few scholarships available.

We added one promising Grad Transfer WR from Div 3 Wesleyan, Logan Tomlinson, who appears to have a very similar game to one of the few graduating senior who played a significant role last season - Brian Espanet. We also lost Sean Coyne who was a productive WR for about 3 seasons and was the only graduating senior to get an Undrafted Free Agent Contract with an NFL team.

The one area on the team that may be a minor question mark is Defensive Tackle, but there are at least three guys with significant game experience.

caribbeanhen
May 29th, 2023, 05:03 PM
Continued to provide leadership and inspiration to the team.
Retained a very good coaching staff
Lost no one to the transfer portal that was expected to play on the two deep this season.

As far as transfers and incoming Freshmen, there are very few holes left to fill. And there were very few scholarships available.

We added one promising Grad Transfer WR from Div 3 Wesleyan, Logan Tomlinson, who appears to have a very similar game to one of the few graduating senior who played a significant role last season - Brian Espanet. We also lost Sean Coyne who was a productive WR for about 3 seasons and was the only graduating senior to get an Undrafted Free Agent Contract with an NFL team.

The one area on the team that may be a minor question mark is Defensive Tackle, but there are at least three guys with significant game experience.

nice review

Go...gate
May 29th, 2023, 10:53 PM
I vote for Flacco.

NY Crusader 2010
May 31st, 2023, 05:19 AM
Armanti Edwards IMO takes the cake. Two national titles, the Michigan game, at this level he was the most talented QB I've seen. Probably should've won at least one more title between his junior and senior years. Upset by 2008 champ Richmond in the quarters I believe. And then lost a tough semifinal in a snowstorm in Missoula in 2009 -- IMO App beats 'Nova in Chatty that year if they make it out of Montana alive.

NY Crusader 2010
May 31st, 2023, 05:22 AM
There's always going to be debate as far as who was #1 with so many great QBs over 25 years. Why don't we do a list of top 3 QBs from everyone's school from the past 25 years?

I can do Holy Cross:

1) Matthew Sluka (2020 - )
2) Dominic Randolph (2005 - 2009)
3) Peter Pujals (2013 - 2017)

ST_Lawson
May 31st, 2023, 08:50 AM
There's always going to be debate as far as who was #1 with so many great QBs over 25 years. Why don't we do a list of top 3 QBs from everyone's school from the past 25 years?

I agree with yours (and many people's) take that Armanti Edwards was overall the best QB at the FCS/I-AA level in a long time...possibly ever.

As for WIU, here's who I'd say are our top 3 QBs of the last 25 years:

1. Matt Barr (2007-2010) - 2010 Conference Offensive PoY, second in Walter Payton Award voting, accounted for 3,410 yards, 27 passing TDs, and 7 rushing TDs in his incredible 2010 season. Led the Leathernecks to the second round of the playoffs in 2010.

2. Russ Michna (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russ_Michna) (2000-2003, but only started 2002 and 2003) - 2002 and 2003 Conference Offensive PoY (the only two years he was the starter), 6th in Walter Payton Award voting in 2003. Took his team all the way to a #2 FCS ranking in 2002 and had back-to-back quarterfinals appearances in '02 and '03. Only player to have been signed to a team in every major professional football league at the time (NFL, CFL, UFL, AFL) and also played in the CIFL. Total of 11 years playing in various professional leagues.

3. Sean McGuire (2015-2018) - holds the school career passing yards (9,819), yards per game (223.2), completions (771), and TDs (72) records. Led the Leathernecks to a second-round playoff appearance in 2015 (took over starting duties mid-season) and a top 10 ranking and first-round narrow playoff loss to Weber State in 2017. Played for 2 years in the CFL.

Baron Sardonicus
May 31st, 2023, 09:25 AM
Honorable mention to San Diego's Josh Johnson. More than a journeyman, he's in the record book, now with his 14th NFL team.

Daytripper
May 31st, 2023, 09:42 AM

I can do Holy Cross:

1) Matthew Sluka (2020 - )
2) Dominic Randolph (2005 - 2009)
3) Peter Pujals (2013 - 2017)

Sam Houston:

1) Jeremiah Briscoe (2015-2017)
2) Eric Schmid (2018-2021)
3) Brian Bell (2010-2013)

BisonFan02
May 31st, 2023, 09:43 AM
Easton Stick has 4 natty rings and is 49-3 as a starter for NDSU....winningest QB in FCS history.

POD Knows
May 31st, 2023, 10:24 AM
Easton Stick has 4 natty rings and is 49-3 as a starter for NDSU....winningest QB in FCS history.Yep, Stick, Jenson, Wentz, in that order

FUBeAR
May 31st, 2023, 10:30 AM
Mercer
1. John Russ
2. Fred Payton
3. N/A

Furman
1. Ingle Martin
2T. Billy Napier
2T. Jordan Sorrells

* Current Furman QB, Tyler Huff, could very well vault to the top of this list if his 2023 performance lives up to the expectations he created with his outstanding 2022 results.

uni88
May 31st, 2023, 12:11 PM
I agree with yours (and many people's) take that Armanti Edwards was overall the best QB at the FCS/I-AA level in a long time...possibly ever.

As for WIU, here's who I'd say are our top 3 QBs of the last 25 years:

1. Matt Barr (2007-2010) - 2010 Conference Offensive PoY, second in Walter Payton Award voting, accounted for 3,410 yards, 27 passing TDs, and 7 rushing TDs in his incredible 2010 season. Led the Leathernecks to the second round of the playoffs in 2010.

2. Russ Michna (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russ_Michna) (2000-2003, but only started 2002 and 2003) - 2002 and 2003 Conference Offensive PoY (the only two years he was the starter), 6th in Walter Payton Award voting in 2003. Took his team all the way to a #2 FCS ranking in 2002 and had back-to-back quarterfinals appearances in '02 and '03. Only player to have been signed to a team in every major professional football league at the time (NFL, CFL, UFL, AFL) and also played in the CIFL. Total of 11 years playing in various professional leagues.

3. Sean McGuire (2015-2018) - holds the school career passing yards (9,819), yards per game (223.2), completions (771), and TDs (72) records. Led the Leathernecks to a second-round playoff appearance in 2015 (took over starting duties mid-season) and a top 10 ranking and first-round narrow playoff loss to Weber State in 2017. Played for 2 years in the CFL.

I'd put Tracy Ham up against Edwards for greatest FCS/I-AA QB of all time. Georgia Southern didn't have a team in 1981 and played club football in 1982 & 1983. Ham led them to an 8-3 record in 1984 and national championships in 1985 & 1986. He and Erk Russell put Southern on the I-AA map.

Bisonoline
May 31st, 2023, 03:38 PM
Yep, Stick, Jenson, Wentz, in that order

Bingo

But I think I might take Walker over Wentz. Maybe.

ST_Lawson
May 31st, 2023, 04:09 PM
I'd put Tracy Ham up against Edwards for greatest FCS/I-AA QB of all time. Georgia Southern didn't have a team in 1981 and played club football in 1982 & 1983. Ham led them to an 8-3 record in 1984 and national championships in 1985 & 1986. He and Erk Russell put Southern on the I-AA map.

That's fair, I misspoke. I meant to say "this century" like the original question, but said "possibly ever". I don't have much knowledge of I-AA prior to the mid-90s, so I can't really speak to much before that timeframe.

POD Knows
May 31st, 2023, 05:12 PM
Bingo

But I think I might take Walker over Wentz. Maybe.Yea, it is a coin flip for me.

Redbird 4th & short
May 31st, 2023, 10:15 PM
Armanti Edwards would get my vote!

Ryan Fitzpatrick definitely deserves consideration too. I also think Brock Jensen will forever be overlooked despite the fact he was excellent.....

I never really got the whole Brock Jensen thing. I know he has diehard fans. But he only had 1 really good year (2013), though playing on the arguably best FCS team ever. Prior to that year, he was middle of the pack in the MVFC, again playing for the best team in the country. I watched ISUr Matt Brown outplay him playing with less. Matt was top MVFC QB in 2012. Jenner was tops in 2013. I though Brown was better, but I wouldn't say he was best this century either .. but he could sling it better than most. Brown also outdueled Garapolo most games. Spack kind of held Brown back some with his conservative ways .. to this day !!!

Reminder how dominant 2013 Bison were .. just crazy how many Team Stats they lead the MVFC in, and by a lot usually.

SCORING OFFENSE
G
TD
FG
XPT
2XP
DXP
Saf

North Dakota State

Youngstown State

South Dakota State

Southern Illinois

Missouri State

Northern Iowa

Illinois State

Western Illinois

Indiana State

South Dakota

SCORING DEFENSE
G
TD
FG
XPT
2XP
DXP
Saf

North Dakota State

Northern Iowa

Missouri State

South Dakota State

Southern Illinois

Western Illinois

South Dakota

Youngstown State

Illinois State

Indiana State

TOTAL OFFENSE
G
Rush
Pass
Plays
Yards
Avg/P
TD
Avg/G

North Dakota State

Youngstown State

Southern Illinois

South Dakota State

Northern Iowa

Missouri State

South Dakota

Western Illinois

Illinois State

Indiana State

TOTAL DEFENSE
G
Rush
Pass
Plays
Yards
Avg/P
TD
Avg/G

North Dakota State

Western Illinois

Northern Iowa

South Dakota

Missouri State

Southern Illinois

Indiana State

Illinois State

South Dakota State

Youngstown State

RUSHING OFFENSE
G
Att
Yards
Avg.
TD
Yards/G

North Dakota State

Youngstown State

Missouri State

South Dakota State

Northern Iowa

Western Illinois

Southern Illinois

South Dakota

Illinois State

Indiana State

RUSHING DEFENSE
G
Att
Yards
Avg.
TD
Yards/G

North Dakota State

Southern Illinois

Northern Iowa

Missouri State

Illinois State

Western Illinois

South Dakota State

Youngstown State

South Dakota

Indiana State

PASS OFFENSE
G
Comp
Att
Int
Pct.
Yards
Avg.
TD
Avg/G

Southern Illinois

South Dakota State

Youngstown State

North Dakota State

South Dakota

Northern Iowa

Illinois State

Western Illinois

Indiana State

Missouri State

PASS DEFENSE
G
Comp
Att
Int
Pct.
Yards
Avg.
TD
Avg/G

Western Illinois

North Dakota State

South Dakota

Indiana State

Northern Iowa

Missouri State

South Dakota State

Illinois State

Southern Illinois

Youngstown State

PASS EFFICIENCY
G
Comp
Att
Int
Pct.
Yards
TD
Effic.

North Dakota State

Youngstown State

South Dakota State

Illinois State

Southern Illinois

Northern Iowa

Missouri State

South Dakota

Indiana State

Western Illinois

PASS DEFENSE EFFIC.
G
Comp
Att
Int
Pct.
Yards
TD
Effic.

North Dakota State

Western Illinois

Northern Iowa

Missouri State

South Dakota

South Dakota State

Southern Illinois

Illinois State

Youngstown State

Indiana State

KICKOFF RETURNS
G
No.
Yards
TD
Avg.

North Dakota State

Youngstown State

Southern Illinois

Missouri State

South Dakota

Northern Iowa

Illinois State

Indiana State

Western Illinois

South Dakota State

PUNT RETURN AVG
G
No.
Yards
TD
Avg.

North Dakota State

Indiana State

Western Illinois

South Dakota State

Illinois State

Missouri State

Youngstown State

Northern Iowa

Southern Illinois

South Dakota

INTERCEPTIONS
G
No.
Yards
TD
Avg.

South Dakota State

Missouri State

North Dakota State

Western Illinois

South Dakota

Indiana State

Northern Iowa

Southern Illinois

Youngstown State

Illinois State

PUNTING
G
No.
Yards
Avg/P
Ret.
Avg.
TB
Net/P

North Dakota State

Youngstown State

Southern Illinois

Missouri State

Illinois State

Northern Iowa

South Dakota State

South Dakota

Western Illinois

Indiana State

NY Crusader 2010
June 1st, 2023, 05:35 AM
Yep, Stick, Jenson, Wentz, in that order

I would go

1. Stick
2. Lance
3. Either Jenson or Wentz => you guys would know better than I who was the better QB at FCS level. Wentz was only the starter for 1 year, right?

I know he left with eligibility remaining, but IMO Lance was perhaps the most talented FCS QB (for this level) since Edwards.

Gil Dobie
June 1st, 2023, 07:10 AM
I would go

1. Stick
2. Lance
3. Either Jenson or Wentz => you guys would know better than I who was the better QB at FCS level. Wentz was only the starter for 1 year, right?

I know he left with eligibility remaining, but IMO Lance was perhaps the most talented FCS QB (for this level) since Edwards.

Stick
Jenson
Walker
Lance
Wentz

Lance and Wentz didn't play as long, therefore lower. Jensen was great at managing the offense, and didn't put up stats like the others. Walker was a great passer, would have made playoff runs, but NDSU was not eligible. Lance over Wentz because he never lost. Wentz played a year and a half. Walker was 20-2 his last 2 seasons.

Redbird 4th & short
June 1st, 2023, 07:17 AM

If not for the driving snow storm against Towson and stud RB Terrance West in the 2013 quarters, EIU would likely have made it to Natty .. only to lose to the best NDSU team ever.

POD Knows
June 1st, 2023, 07:41 AM
I would go

1. Stick
2. Lance

Lance wasn’t here long enough to warrant the ranking. Lance probably had the greatest single season of any Bison QB but I just don’t think one year is enough of a legacy.

caribbeanhen
June 1st, 2023, 09:15 AM
Lance wasn’t here long enough to warrant the ranking. Lance probably had the greatest single season of any Bison QB but I just don’t think one year is enough of a legacy.

I understand that logic but Lance put a lack luster by Bison standards team on his back and beat JMU

JMU the better team until you plug a dynamic QB like Lance into the equation, that’s why I go with Lance as best Bison QB

POD Knows
June 1st, 2023, 11:16 AM
I understand that logic but Lance put a lack luster by Bison standards team on his back and beat JMU

JMU the better team until you plug a dynamic QB like Lance into the equation, that’s why I go with Lance as best Bison QBNope, not going to give the title for a guy that literally was a rookie with a great season. I stated he had the best year of any Bison QB, but that doesn't make him the best Bison QB of this century.

uni88
June 1st, 2023, 01:02 PM
That's fair, I misspoke. I meant to say "this century" like the original question, but said "possibly ever". I don't have much knowledge of I-AA prior to the mid-90s, so I can't really speak to much before that timeframe.

Tracy Ham was amazing. Best option QB I ever saw play, better than Frazier, Holieway, Rice, etc. They called the offense the Hambone when he ran it.

FUBeAR
June 1st, 2023, 02:08 PM
Tracy Ham was amazing. Best option QB I ever saw play, better than Frazier, Holieway, Rice, etc. They called the offense the Hambone when he ran it.
Yep - Unbelievable player and a total gamer. Threw a 25 yard laser shot between 3 tight defenders with 10 seconds left to steal the ‘85 I-AA National Championship from Furman. Still hate him for that…an option QB can’t do THAT…dammit!!!

He was also a STAR for over a decade in the CFL - multiple Grey Cup wins, MVP of Grey Cup, MVP of League. He is pre-21st century, but he would (should) be #1 on everyone’s list without that limitation. Just wish he’d had 1, maybe 2, more incompletions during his college career.

Preferred Walk-On
June 1st, 2023, 08:41 PM
I never really got the whole Brock Jensen thing. I know he has diehard fans. But he only had 1 really good year (2013), though playing on the arguably best FCS team ever. Prior to that year, he was middle of the pack in the MVFC, again playing for the best team in the country. I watched ISUr Matt Brown outplay him playing with less. Matt was top MVFC QB in 2012. Jenner was tops in 2013. I though Brown was better, but I wouldn't say he was best this century either .. but he could sling it better than most. Brown also outdueled Garapolo most games. Spack kind of held Brown back some with his conservative ways .. to this day !!!

It was never about stats with Brock. It was entirely about leadership and clutch playmaking. Period. Brock Jensen was the best DI Bison QB in this category, followed closely by Easton. Some people have their stats…others have their rings. Not trying to say Brock or Easton were “Best FCS QBs of the Century”. Just trying to say exactly why Bison fans appreciated those two so much. If the thread were “Best FCS Leaders of the Century”, those two should be up there with any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NY Crusader 2010
June 2nd, 2023, 06:04 AM
Nope, not going to give the title for a guy that literally was a rookie with a great season. I stated he had the best year of any Bison QB, but that doesn't make him the best Bison QB of this century.

I get both arguments. I actually forgot he only played one season, thought it was 2.

POD Knows
June 2nd, 2023, 10:44 AM
I get both arguments. I actually forgot he only played one season, thought it was 2.He was the starter for one season, he redshirted and got a few snaps in a couple games, he did play one game in the fall of 2020, (played poorly) against Central Arkansas.

uni88
June 2nd, 2023, 01:29 PM
It was never about stats with Brock. It was entirely about leadership and clutch playmaking. Period. Brock Jensen was the best DI Bison QB in this category, followed closely by Easton. Some people have their stats…others have their rings. Not trying to say Brock or Easton were “Best FCS QBs of the Century”. Just trying to say exactly why Bison fans appreciated those two so much. If the thread were “Best FCS Leaders of the Century”, those two should be up there with any.

I appreciated watching Jensen play. He was definitely a leader. Eric Sanders with UNI and Richie Williams with App St were similar.

Redbird 4th & short
June 2nd, 2023, 02:00 PM
Stick is the best college QB the played for NDSU during FCS play. When Wentz got hurt, Stick came in and took NDSU to 8 straight wins, including playoff games, as a Freshman. Wentz came back for the championship game. He has been overlooked because of the players and teams he played with. We didn't see enough of Trey Lance to put him above Stick. Jensen is a close second. Walker and Wentz are in the discussion.
I feel like Trey Lance was the best RS FR QB ever for NDSU .. he was so dominant, talented, disciplined, etc early on. Stick slowly turned into a very good QB - I felt like he grew into a dominant QB, and had some help. Wentz always impressed my a lot as the most NFL ready, but his resume was thin like Lance's. As I said earlier, I was never really impressed with Jensen like I was with the subsequent 3.

But this thread implies, who was the most dominant for their career. Not who had the best year or 2 while they were there.

So ignoring the # of great years (body of work), I would rank NDSU QBs: Lance (off the charts early on), then Wentz a close 2nd (he could have done more if needed), then Stick (became great), then maybe Jensen a distant 4th based largely on 2013 .. I don't know the others prior to Jensen.

For my ISUr .. Matt Brown was really good, and I felt he was held back by Spack's conservatism. Plus he had 3 or 4 OCs in 5 years I think. He could really sling it .. talented, smart, big accurate arm, and fearless. I think of it like the old quip .. who was the only coach to hold Jordan under 20 ppg for his career .. Dean Smith. As for Tre Roberson, he had one great year, but if you watched as close as I did. You would know he was a little inconsistent at times. Fortunately, by game 8 or so, he went on an incredible tear. His QBR the last 7 games was astronomical, plus he was legit dual threat. But the first half of 2014-15 season, he was very sporadic at best.

Gil Dobie
June 3rd, 2023, 08:11 AM
I feel like Trey Lance was the best RS FR QB ever for NDSU .. he was so dominant, talented, disciplined, etc early on. Stick slowly turned into a very good QB - I felt like he grew into a dominant QB, and had some help. Wentz always impressed my a lot as the most NFL ready, but his resume was thin like Lance's. As I said earlier, I was never really impressed with Jensen like I was with the subsequent 3.

But this thread implies, who was the most dominant for their career. Not who had the best year or 2 while they were there.

So ignoring the # of great years (body of work), I would rank NDSU QBs: Lance (off the charts early on), then Wentz a close 2nd (he could have done more if needed), then Stick (became great), then maybe Jensen a distant 4th based largely on 2013 .. I don't know the others prior to Jensen.

For my ISUr .. Matt Brown was really good, and I felt he was held back by Spack's conservatism. Plus he had 3 or 4 OCs in 5 years I think. He could really sling it .. talented, smart, big accurate arm, and fearless. I think of it like the old quip .. who was the only coach to hold Jordan under 20 ppg for his career .. Dean Smith. As for Tre Roberson, he had one great year, but if you watched as close as I did. You would know he was a little inconsistent at times. Fortunately, by game 8 or so, he went on an incredible tear. His QBR the last 7 games was astronomical, plus he was legit dual threat. But the first half of 2014-15 season, he was very sporadic at best.

Jensen was a field general, awesome manager on the field, not a stat compiler. Stick came in when Wentz was hurt, and led the Bison to 8 straight wins as a Redshirt Freshman, and Wentz returned for the championship game. Walker was great, but wasn't playoff eligible. Lance and Wentz had more talent, but didn't play as many games, hence I listed them behind the 3 QBs that played 4 years.

NY Crusader 2010
June 3rd, 2023, 09:56 AM
He was the starter for one season, he redshirted and got a few snaps in a couple games, he did play one game in the fall of 2020, (played poorly) against Central Arkansas.

I think at any other FCS school, he'd have to be a shoe-in for Top 3 even though he only played one full season. Because in that 1 season, he led the Bison to a national championship.

But, as we know, national title's are a dime-a-dozen in Fargo. So, 1 championship doesn't exactly secure immortality at NDSU.

caribbeanhen
June 3rd, 2023, 10:09 AM
Nope, not going to give the title for a guy that literally was a rookie with a great season. I stated he had the best year of any Bison QB, but that doesn't make him the best Bison QB of this century.

And if I could pick any Bison QB for just one season I’ll go with Lance

Bisonoline
June 3rd, 2023, 05:50 PM

JMU the better team until you plug a dynamic QB like Lance into the equation, that’s why I go with Lance as best Bison QB

No way. There are at least six ahead of him.

KPSUL
June 13th, 2023, 05:51 PM
Reference Material for this Thread:

https://theanalyst.com/na/2023/06/air-it-out-fcs-quarterbacks-with-the-most-passing-yards-in-a-game-season-and-career/

Redbird 4th & short
June 14th, 2023, 06:06 AM
No way. There are at least six ahead of him.

Putting aside the "body of work" argument, this seems very doubtful .. you think Lance was 7th best ??

Statistically, I think it was the best single season Bison QB performance ever, passing and running combined. And I would imagine he carried that offense more than any Bison QB ever, for a single season. So who are the 6 after presumably Stick, Wentz, Jensen ?

For full body of actual work, I would go with Stick.

For who was the sheer best, who could have done so much more if he had been required to .. for me, it is Carson Wentz with razor thin edge over Lance. Like if he had been forced to do as much as Trey Lance, then Wentz' stats could have been crazy good. I also think Wentz was the best NFL prospect .. but that isn't the debate.

So would love to see your ranked top 6 ahead of Trey Lance.

AmsterBison
June 14th, 2023, 07:40 AM
Putting aside the "body of work" argument, this seems very doubtful .. you think Lance was 7th best ??

Lance was the best freshman QB I ever saw, and I saw Jeff Bentrim play in 1983 (Bentrim is in the College Football Hall of Fame.)

In the single-season records, Lance sits at #9 on pass attempts but ranks #1 in passing efficiency, #1 in total offense, #2 in passing TDs, and #3 in yardage. He also holds an all-time record with 288 consecutive pass attempts without an interception. And he was the team's leading rusher in 2019.

I think maybe he is undervalued because he had a poor game passing the ball in his game against JMU and that was his last real game. He was way off on his deep balls, but stretching the field like that allowed him to take off and run for 166 yards. The most yards rushing JMU gave up in a game up to that point was 118.

I can't think of what more Trey could've done.

Bisonator
June 14th, 2023, 08:01 AM

Statistically, I think it was the best single season Bison QB performance ever, passing and running combined. And I would imagine he carried that offense more than any Bison QB ever, for a single season. So who are the 6 after presumably Stick, Wentz, Jensen ?

For full body of actual work, I would go with Stick.

For who was the sheer best, who could have done so much more if he had been required to .. for me, it is Carson Wentz with razor thin edge over Lance. Like if he had been forced to do as much as Trey Lance, then Wentz' stats could have been crazy good. I also think Wentz was the best NFL prospect .. but that isn't the debate.

So would love to see your ranked top 6 ahead of Trey Lance.
Lance gets some disrespect from older Bison fans and players for his social stance. It's rather unfortunate but it is what it is now days.

I'd rank Bison QB's on pure talent like this:

1. Wentz
2. Lance
3. Stick
4. Jensen

If I needed a QB to lead a game winning drive I'd probably rank them:

1. Jensen
2. Stick
3. Wentz
4. Lance

That's all just going by their last season at NDSU. They all were very different players from freshmen to seniors except for Lance who only played a short time. Lance wins the freshman award hands down.

Redbird 4th & short
June 14th, 2023, 06:01 PM
ok, so he's in your top 4 then, which makes more sense. And you acknowledged his great RS FR season. So the rest of the debate is a matter of how anyone weighs their individual achievements against whether there was enough body of work. And then from leadership/intangible perspective. That said, Trey Lance clearly proved himself in the limited time he had, then got drafted 3rd in NFL.

Lance gets some disrespect from older Bison fans and players for his social stance. It's rather unfortunate but it is what it is now days.

1. Wentz
2. Lance
3. Stick
4. Jensen

1. Jensen
2. Stick
3. Wentz
4. Lance

That's all just going by their last season at NDSU. They all were very different players from freshmen to seniors except for Lance who only played a short time. Lance wins the freshman award hands down.

NY Crusader 2010
June 14th, 2023, 06:05 PM

1. Wentz
2. Lance
3. Stick
4. Jensen

1. Jensen
2. Stick
3. Wentz
4. Lance

Lance wins the freshman award for the entire history of I-AA/FCS, let alone NDSU. He gets a challenge from Armanti Edwards who helped lead App State to a natty as a true frosh.

Bisonator
June 14th, 2023, 07:54 PM
ok, so he's in your top 4 then, which makes more sense. And you acknowledged his great RS FR season. So the rest of the debate is a matter of how anyone weighs their individual achievements against whether there was enough body of work. And then from leadership/intangible perspective. That said, Trey Lance clearly proved himself in the limited time he had, then got drafted 3rd in NFL.
Yes of course if we are just talking this century. Not sure I'd have him on the mount rushmore of Bison QB's of all time though as we had a couple Harlon Hill award winners and even a couple other QB's that were pretty outstanding in their day as well.

Redbird 4th & short
June 15th, 2023, 05:38 AM
Yes of course if we are just talking this century. Not sure I'd have him on the mount rushmore of Bison QB's of all time though as we had a couple Harlon Hill award winners and even a couple other QB's that were pretty outstanding in their day as well.

Except since 2015, the Bison have put 3 QBs in the NFL. So I think your QBs are at a much higher level now, than before .. unless there are pre-2000 Bison QBs who also got drafted and started (Wentz, Lance) in the NFL. Or at least are still waiting their turn on the 2 deep (Stick). I'm not aware of any anyway.

So IMO the QB bar has been raised considerably over the pre-2000 QBs. Wentz was #2 pick and started, Lance #3 pick and started, and Stick was picked in round 5 (166th pick) and is a backup.

Anyway .. my real point is that all of this just so unfair that the best programd with the most run dominant offense also gets most of the best QBs !!!!

xsmhx

Bisonator
June 15th, 2023, 09:42 AM
Except since 2015, the Bison have put 3 QBs in the NFL. So I think your QBs are at a much higher level now, than before .. unless there are pre-2000 Bison QBs who also got drafted and started (Wentz, Lance) in the NFL. Or at least are still waiting their turn on the 2 deep (Stick). I'm not aware of any anyway.

So IMO the QB bar has been raised considerably over the pre-2000 QBs. Wentz was #2 pick and started, Lance #3 pick and started, and Stick was picked in round 5 (166th pick) and is a backup.

Anyway .. my real point is that all of this just so unfair that the best programd with the most run dominant offense also gets most of the best QBs !!!!

xsmhx
Not sure best college QB's equates to NFL QB's. There's a ton of college HOF QB's who never sniffed the NFL. Not to mention there's a lot of luck involved as far as getting the right opportunity and taking advantage of it at the NFL level. I think there's plenty of D2 QB's that coulda, woulda, shoulda made pretty good if not great NFL QB's if given the chance. The small number of roster spots available any given year makes it incredibly difficult to get those opportunities.

Agree that NDSU has been extremely fortunate to get some of these guys but they've developed most of them too. It's not like they had to beat out a bunch of bigger FBS offers to get most of them. Pretty sure Wentz only FBS offer was from Central Michigan, I think Stick had a Rutgers offer maybe WY too after Bohl went there can't remember, Lance was highly recruited but not as a QB.

NY Crusader 2010
June 15th, 2023, 11:23 AM
Not sure best college QB's equates to NFL QB's. There's a ton of college HOF QB's who never sniffed the NFL. Not to mention there's a lot of luck involved as far as getting the right opportunity and taking advantage of it at the NFL level. I think there's plenty of D2 QB's that coulda, woulda, shoulda made pretty good if not great NFL QB's if given the chance. The small number of roster spots available any given year makes it incredibly difficult to get those opportunities.

Agree that NDSU has been extremely fortunate to get some of these guys but they've developed most of them too. It's not like they had to beat out a bunch of bigger FBS offers to get most of them. Pretty sure Wentz only FBS offer was from Central Michigan, I think Stick had a Rutgers offer maybe WY too after Bohl went there can't remember, Lance was highly recruited but not as a QB.

Absolutely. The other piece is that college QB's become "great" by winning championships. Tim Tebow, AJ McCarron, Josh Heupel, Danny Wuerffel, Ty Detmer, etc. All those guys had the advantage of having phenomenal weapons around them. Josh Allen, of course played at Wyoming and was projected to be a 1st Round pick before his senior year even started but he was never considered great due to a) playing at G5 level, b) not putting up great stats and c) not winning a conference title and/or having Wyoming in the running for a New Year's Bowl.

The other piece is the skill set translating to the next level. Aside from Lamar Jackson (and Vince Young, Colin Kaepernick & RGIII for short stretches each), run-first QBs have had a tough time cracking that "elite" status in the NFL. Part of it's longevity -- you build dynasties and franchises on the guys like Brady, Manning and Rodgers who can play the position at a Pro Bowl-level for 15 years --and you don't have to overhaul your offensive roster to run a new system for them. The Lamar Jackson's of the world are going to be past their prime much earlier than guys like Brady or a Patrick Mahomes.

Holy Cross' Matt Sluka is looking to fall into that category of great FCS QB but likely will get even less of an NFL look than Dominic Randolph '10 and Peter Pujals '17 got. Unless he can go the Chris Streveler route...

Redbird 4th & short
June 15th, 2023, 12:49 PM

THIS !!

So many have failed at next level. NFL is not just better .. they are bigger, stronger, faster, smarter, and they scout the crap out of you. If you have a weakness, they will find it. Back to my Bears .. Rex Grossman could throw it as well as most and was the talk of the league for half a season .. but .. they figured him (and our OC) out, and learned if you take away the middle of the field with 2 big DTs bull rushing the inside .. he couldn't handle it and would panick in the pocket. Plus he had smallish hands. But he may have been the best 7v7 QB coming out of college of his era.

And if you are dual threat QB, you better be a pass first, buy time second, and run as last resort .. or NFL defenses will crush 90% of you eventually. Justin Fields won't last doing what he has been doing. He's got a better OL and WR group this year .. let's see if he can sit in pocket, read his progressions, and just throw it .. he might just last another season. Love his heart and talent regardless, but ...... gotta stay healthy. move chains, and get in the end zone.

Gil Dobie
June 16th, 2023, 07:50 AM

xsmhx

Jeff Bentrim is in the college football Hall of Fame. He was a option QB, different style. He led NDSU to 3 titles, losing thec4th on a last second 50 yd FG. Also a Harlan Hill winner, best QB in DII. Chris Simdorn 2 titles and a Harlan Hill, another option QB. If Lance had stayed, there is a very good chance he would be #1. I'm one of the oldest Bison fans on here, and Lance's social stance has nothing to do with my opinion on his ranking. Check the poli board if you don't believe me. Has nothing to do with age.

Redbird 4th & short
June 17th, 2023, 08:41 AM
Jeff Bentrim is in the college football Hall of Fame. He was a option QB, different style. He led NDSU to 3 titles, losing thec4th on a last second 50 yd FG. Also a Harlan Hill winner, best QB in DII. Chris Simdorn 2 titles and a Harlan Hill, another option QB. If Lance had stayed, there is a very good chance he would be #1. I'm one of the oldest Bison fans on here, and Lance's social stance has nothing to do with my opinion on his ranking. Check the poli board if you don't believe me. Has nothing to do with age.
impressive 4 years, especially to make that last run after losing your head coach.