PDA

View Full Version : Former Harvard Teammates Torn by Approaches to Concussions

Go Green
May 15th, 2023, 11:56 AM
Washington Post did a long (and very well-written, IMHO) story on former Harvard teammates being torn apart based on their approaches to concussions. Sadly, one of them lost his life...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/interactive/2023/chris-nowitski-chris-eitzman-cte-harvard/

My (sad) gut is that there are probably stories like this at every school...

bonarae
May 15th, 2023, 04:46 PM
Sadly, there are untold stories similar to this at almost every school. Just take a former Bozeman Cat who refused a state HOF invitation due to his past.

Milktruck74
May 16th, 2023, 06:23 AM
My Chattanooga teammate passed away at 35 due to long term head trauma. HE was an undersized safety that had to always prove himself, so he led with his head!

caribbeanhen
May 16th, 2023, 07:58 AM
Football players at greater risk just playing football more so than some of the absurd COVID policies

Go Green
May 16th, 2023, 08:23 AM
My Chattanooga teammate passed away at 35 due to long term head trauma. HE was an undersized safety that had to always prove himself, so he led with his head!

Very sorry to hear that. I've lost one teammate to suicide (although no idea if it was CTE-related), and another has been pretty open about dealing with concussion-symptoms.

Milktruck74
May 16th, 2023, 01:29 PM
Very sorry to hear that. I've lost one teammate to suicide (although no idea if it was CTE-related), and another has been pretty open about dealing with concussion-symptoms.

My father is 79, and after a 13 year pro career, he is a mess structurally (83% disabled according to the players association)...but doesn't take a single maintenance med...so, otherwise in outstanding "organic" health...EXCEPT for his mental acuity. HE has really diminished over the last 4 years, and I think much of it can be attributed to5 documented concussions (and who knows how many others) finally catching up to him. I guess I should be glad to still have him around, since very few of his team mates are still alive and there really aren't many 6'8" 300# Octogenarians out there either, regardless of the number of concussions....but it is concerning.

Milktruck74
May 19th, 2023, 07:40 AM
I was talking to a friend about this article and he mentioned Bud Grant. I admit I had to look him up...Coach at Minnesota Vikings...first round pick in 1950, and only person to play in both NFL and NBA (back when both were dominated by white dudes, ha)...but, he died this year at 95 and until a year or so ago was sharp as a tack. He said he couldn't count on his hands the number of times he was knocked out cold and carried off the field...back then it wasn't a "documented concussion" it was just getting your bell rung and after some smelling salts you were back in for the second half. Anyway, he said in an interview a few years back that he felt the reason he had little or no cognitive declien had more to do with genetics than actual head trauma. I can see it . My friend said once they figure it out there may be a blood test to determine if you are a good or bad candidate for contact sports... interesting thought.

I mean I see it, I work with a guy that is 145#, 10 years younger than me, works out daily, and eats very healthy.... and has extremely high cholesterol and high blood pressure...I'm old and fat and eat horribly and work out occasionally and my numbers are almost perfect. As I mentioned above, my father takes no daily maintenance medication 79...So, that is obviously genetics...so, why couldn't the protein levels in the brain and hardening/scaring be genetically related?

caribbeanhen
May 19th, 2023, 08:20 AM
I was talking to a friend about this article and he mentioned Bud Grant. I admit I had to look him up...Coach at Minnesota Vikings...first round pick in 1950, and only person to play in both NFL and NBA (back when both were dominated by white dudes, ha)...but, he died this year at 95 and until a year or so ago was sharp as a tack. He said he couldn't count on his hands the number of times he was knocked out cold and carried off the field...back then it wasn't a "documented concussion" it was just getting your bell rung and after some smelling salts you were back in for the second half. Anyway, he said in an interview a few years back that he felt the reason he had little or no cognitive declien had more to do with genetics than actual head trauma. I can see it . My friend said once they figure it out there may be a blood test to determine if you are a good or bad candidate for contact sports... interesting thought.

I mean I see it, I work with a guy that is 145#, 10 years younger than me, works out daily, and eats very healthy.... and has extremely high cholesterol and high blood pressure...I'm old and fat and eat horribly and work out occasionally and my numbers are almost perfect. As I mentioned above, my father takes no daily maintenance medication 79...So, that is obviously genetics...so, why couldn't the protein levels in the brain and hardening/scaring be genetically related?

using genetics and blood testing to predict future disease could save an individual thousands of dollars on health care premiums, many should just pocket the money and pay for doctors visits if you need to go, especially a 22 year old. The industry relies on the money though so it probably won’t happen anytime soon

Bisonoline
May 19th, 2023, 01:55 PM

Its called genetic predisposition. Every ones metabolism is different. But they cant make any money if you dont swallow the fear koolaid.

KPSUL
May 20th, 2023, 09:56 AM
I'm glad to see, and am fully supportive of, the current targeting rules; until they call it on my team!!

Ivytalk
May 26th, 2023, 01:45 PM
Wonderful story. Thanks for posting, GG.