PDA

View Full Version : Montana State OC In Trouble

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 11th, 2023, 11:21 PM
This seems like grounds for termination. Also of note, Housewright is the second coordinator to be cited for DUI in the last few months. Not a good look for the Bobcat program and their head coach. These guys likely have a history with alcohol use and compromised decision making....

According to charging documents obtained by MTN Sports, Housewright was cited at 12:28 a.m. after being pulled over and refusing a blood-alcohol test. In the documents, it is alleged that Housewright had earlier crashed a university-issued vehicle and fled the scene; the description of the violation states that a friend of Housewright's drove the crashed vehicle while Housewright drove a different vehicle.

https://www.montanasports.com/sports/big-sky-conference/montana-state-bobcats/montana-state-offensive-coordinator-taylor-housewright-cited-for-aggravated-dui

uofmman1122
May 15th, 2023, 09:57 PM
So the OC calls the RB coach, who comes and switches cars with him, and they both end up getting pulled over and cited. I'm going to try and keep my Griz fandom out of this, but this whole thing seems insane to me.

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/montana-state-university/montana-state-rbs-coach-sam-mix-cited-for-violations-on-night-of-taylor-housewrights-alleged/article_b0a7719e-f36e-11ed-a3de-bbc7a7036524.html

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 15th, 2023, 10:09 PM
So the OC calls the RB coach, who comes and switches cars with him, and they both end up getting pulled over and cited. I'm going to try and keep my Griz fandom out of this, but this whole thing seems insane to me.

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/montana-state-university/montana-state-rbs-coach-sam-mix-cited-for-violations-on-night-of-taylor-housewrights-alleged/article_b0a7719e-f36e-11ed-a3de-bbc7a7036524.html

It is obvious there are serious character/behavioral issues among the coaching staff at Montana State. As a former resident of Bozeman and MSU supporter, this is beyond embarrassing. It's an egregious failure.

If you dig a little deeper Housewright seems to have developed a reputation as a "town drunk" so Vigen and others knew he either struggled with alcohol addiction or acted like an idiot when he did drink. Both of which will inevitably lead to a destructive/negative outcome if not corrected.

I honestly can't believe more people aren't talking about this given MSU's status in FCS and the level of stupidity/human failure that occurred here.

uofmman1122
May 15th, 2023, 10:27 PM
It is obvious there are serious character/behavioral issues among the coaching staff at Montana State. As a former resident of Bozeman and MSU supporter, this is beyond embarrassing. It's an egregious failure.

If you dig a little deeper Housewright seems to have developed a reputation as a "town drunk" so Vigen and others knew he either struggled with alcohol addiction or acted like an idiot when he did drink. Both of which will inevitably lead to a destructive/negative outcome if not corrected.

I honestly can't believe more people aren't talking about this given MSU's status in FCS and the level of stupidity/human failure that occurred here.
As a fan of FCS, it's an incredibly embarrassing bad look that they need to get out in front of.

As a Griz fan, I am not surprised at all that nothing has come out because they will do anything to keep riding the high they're on right now as a university, including sweep anything negative as far under the rug as they can. lol

Bisonoline
May 15th, 2023, 10:37 PM

Garza has had a reputation for YEARS. Vigen had to know.

Bisonoline
May 15th, 2023, 10:39 PM
As a fan of FCS, it's an incredibly embarrassing bad look that they need to get out in front of.

As a Griz fan, I am not surprised at all that nothing has come out because they will do anything to keep riding the high they're on right now as a university, including sweep anything negative as far under the rug as they can. lol

This has nothing to do with the FCS as a whole. Back away from the ledge.

uofmman1122
May 15th, 2023, 10:52 PM
This has nothing to do with the FCS as a whole. Back away from the ledge.
What I mean is this would be a terrible look for any school, and I’m trying to express the situation without my hate for MSU in mind.

ElCid
May 16th, 2023, 08:00 AM
What I mean is this would be a terrible look for any school, and I’m trying to express the situation without my hate for MSU in mind.

It is unfortunate. We had a situation 30 years ago where our head coach, who had previously taken us to number 1 in the regular season and generally had multiple outstanding seasons, had some alcohol related issues. I didn't know the dirty details, but once it involved the cops, he was gone regardless of his success. And he reigned over what could arguably be our best period ever.

We can all have sympathy when this happens to people and for their issues. In this case, sympathy does not necessarily mean allowing continued association with him. Seems cut and dry from the police side although the reporting didn't give a very clear account. But it involved a crash. That could have been a crash into a car full of children. Next time it might be. And there always seems to be a next time in situations like these until he gets himself straightened out. In any event, he should probably be let go. The sooner the better for everyone involved. The school may simply be trying to get their legal ducks in a row and are making sure there aren't any errors in judgement. Not sure it has any impact on FCS, but could have a huge impact on the school itself depending on their actions.

Go Green
May 16th, 2023, 08:28 AM
Columbia had a HC resign because of alcohol abuse--although he adamantly denied ever consuming alcohol during team functions.

Larry McElreavy resigned as Columbia football coach,... - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com) (https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1988-11-30-sp-623-story.html)

uofmman1122
May 16th, 2023, 09:53 AM
It is unfortunate. We had a situation 30 years ago where our head coach, who had previously taken us to number 1 in the regular season and generally had multiple outstanding seasons, had some alcohol related issues. I didn't know the dirty details, but once it involved the cops, he was gone regardless of his success. And he reigned over what could arguably be our best period ever.

We can all have sympathy when this happens to people and for their issues. In this case, sympathy does not necessarily mean allowing continued association with him. Seems cut and dry from the police side although the reporting didn't give a very clear account. But it involved a crash. That could have been a crash into a car full of children. Next time it might be. And there always seems to be a next time in situations like these until he gets himself straightened out. In any event, he should probably be let go. The sooner the better for everyone involved. The school may simply be trying to get their legal ducks in a row and are making sure there aren't any errors in judgement. Not sure it has any impact on FCS, but could have a huge impact on the school itself depending on their actions.
Yeah, poor wording on my part lol

It doesn't have anything to do with or reflect poorly on FCS. It was basically "Here's my unbiased opinion, and here's my Griz fan opinion" lol

As for the next steps, they didn't really do anything when Garza got his DUI, so I doubt they'll do anything here, which to me is an extremely poor look. At the very least, suspend him until the legal part is played out.

caribbeanhen
May 16th, 2023, 10:20 AM
Do we need a DUI tracker… seems like it’s always the offensive coordinator

wapiti
May 16th, 2023, 11:34 AM
There is a big thread about this on Bobcat Nation and the fans are displeased:
https://bobcatnation.com/bobcatbb/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=52657

MR. CHICKEN
May 16th, 2023, 01:24 PM
Do we need a DUI tracker… seems like it’s always the offensive coordinator

....ALCOHOL.....IT'S WHERE DUH.....TRICK PLAYS COME FROM........BRAWK!

caribbeanhen
May 17th, 2023, 07:42 AM
....ALCOHOL.....IT'S WHERE DUH.....TRICK PLAYS COME FROM........BRAWK!

lol classic