PDA

View Full Version : FCS a haven for Drop Downs....USA Today

putter
November 21st, 2007, 11:57 AM
centers on Flacco but others are mentioned.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2007-11-20-transfer-players_N.htm

OL FU
November 21st, 2007, 12:03 PM
My comment has nothing to do with UD and Flacco since FU got one of those big names a few years ago, but I do wonder if something should not be done to lessen the impact of transfers. Perhaps make all transfers sit out a year no matter which division they transfer from or to.

Personally, I would prefer teams to make it on their recruiting rather than the ability to snag a transfer.

putter
November 21st, 2007, 12:10 PM
I agree and I think that is why they changed the rule to make these players committ to 2 years. I think the term "hired gun" was used. Montana last year had Swogger come in and be done. Did it really help? Who knows if that helped Bergquist or not but I like the 2 year rule so kids really have to think before making the switch.

BlueHen86
November 21st, 2007, 12:25 PM
My comment has nothing to do with UD and Flacco since FU got one of those big names a few years ago, but I do wonder if something should not be done to lessen the impact of transfers. Perhaps make all transfers sit out a year no matter which division they transfer from or to.

Personally, I would prefer teams to make it on their recruiting rather than the ability to snag a transfer.

Then FCS would not get as many FBS transfers; the guy who is not happy at Pitt or Notre Dame will transfer to Penn St. or Purdue instead of Delaware or Furman. If you're okay with that - fine.
I think it would hurt FCS. We would have fewer 'stud' players.xtwocentsx

Syntax Error
November 21st, 2007, 12:29 PM
Transfers head down to I-AA to move up
By Andy Gardiner, USA TODAY
Fullerton says. "If you watch the way the media handles our level of play, especially in the playoffs, it tends to focus on the I-A transfers."Ouch, that's got to hurt ya Andy and your article focusing on transfers in the playoffs. xlolx

Syntax Error
November 21st, 2007, 12:30 PM
Then FCS would not get as many FBS transfers; the guy who is not happy at Pitt or Notre Dame will transfer to Penn St. or Purdue instead of Delaware or Furman. If you're okay with that - fine. I think it would hurt FCS. We would have fewer 'stud' players.xtwocentsxThey already have to sit a year to do that. Most of FCS stud players are not FBS transfers.

OL FU
November 21st, 2007, 12:35 PM
Then FCS would not get as many FBS transfers; the guy who is not happy at Pitt or Notre Dame will transfer to Penn St. or Purdue instead of Delaware or Furman. If you're okay with that - fine.

I would be fine with it. I am more concerned about athletes attending the school they wish to attend than the ability of FU or UD or UM to get a parade all americanxtwocentsx

danefan
November 21st, 2007, 12:36 PM
I thought it was a good article. Anybody else get the sense that Andy Gardiner went in with the intention to write about the huge impact FBS transfers have on the FCS but then realized after he was smacked in the face by this:

Fullerton says. "If you watch the way the media handles our level of play, especially in the playoffs, it tends to focus on the I-A transfers."

BlueHen86
November 21st, 2007, 12:47 PM
They already have to sit a year to do that. Most of FCS stud players are not FBS transfers.

I didn't say most. I said not as many.

BlueHen86
November 21st, 2007, 12:50 PM
I would be fine with it. I am more concerned about athletes attending the school they wish to attend than the ability of FU or UD or UM to get a parade all americanxtwocentsx

Fair enough.xthumbsupx
To me, recruiting is recruiting, whether it's a high school senior or an unhappy FBS player. As long as they represent my school well once they get there, I don't care how they got there.

dungeonjoe
November 21st, 2007, 12:52 PM

We being Delaware or FCS in general...

DOME
November 21st, 2007, 12:54 PM
UNI got a transfer from USC, who out of highschool was rated higher than Reggie Bush. Got to college and got lazy, didn't get much playing time behind Bush and came to UNI.
Still lazy and doesn't get much playing time behind Corey Lewis.
Not all FBS transfers make the highlight reels, some move down because they couldn't hack it.

BlueHen86
November 21st, 2007, 01:01 PM
Obviously Delaware has benefited from transfers. But I meant FCS in general.

Although recruiting tranfers can have a negative effect as well. A friends nephew was being recruited out of high school to play QB at Delaware. In the end he decided not to attend UD because was concerned that he could lose his job to a transfer.

ChickenMan
November 21st, 2007, 01:38 PM

Delaware does NOT take an inordinate number of transfers.. in fact UD is very average to below average.. when compared to the rest of the FCS in the number of transfers they accept. In the CAA alone.. UMass takes FAR more transfers than UD. The only reason that Delaware gets 'ragged' EVERY time the 'transfer' issue is debated is NOT because they take an inordinate number transfers.. it's due to the QUALITY of some their transfers. Transfers like Andy Hall, Shawn Johnson, Joe Flacco have turned into GREAT players.. which obviously continues to irritate the 'bitch and moan' crowd to no end.

ChickenMan
November 21st, 2007, 01:42 PM
Obviously Delaware has benefited from transfers. But I meant FCS in general.

Although recruiting tranfers can have a negative effect as well. A friends nephew was being recruited out of high school to play QB at Delaware. In the end he decided not to attend UD because was concerned that he could lose his job to a transfer.

What he should have been concerned about was "losing his job" because he wasn't GOOD ENOUGH. If a player.. QB or otherwise plays well.. they have no need to be concerned about a transfer being brought in to take their job.

rfeng
November 21st, 2007, 02:20 PM
Out of a roster of 100 players or approximately 25 recruits each year, I believe UMass has 4 transfers/year on scholarship. The basketball program has received transfers who are not on scholarship.

I am not sure how you can prevent a school from giving out scholarships or partial scholarships to athletes who wish to come to their school. A more equitable solution would be to limit the number of transfer scholarships that could be given out by each school.

A student athlete could chose to transfer and play football as a walk-on (if they could afford it)with the expectation of receiving a scholarship the following year. This would place schools with higher tuition than most state universities at a decided disadvantage.

OL FU
November 21st, 2007, 03:04 PM
Out of a roster of 100 players or approximately 25 recruits each year, I believe UMass has 4 transfers/year on scholarship. The basketball program has received transfers who are not on scholarship.

I am not sure how you can prevent a school from giving out scholarships or partial scholarships to athletes who wish to come to their school. A more equitable solution would be to limit the number of transfer scholarships that could be given out by each school.

A student athlete could chose to transfer and play football as a walk-on (if they could afford it)with the expectation of receiving a scholarship the following year. This would place schools with higher tuition than most state universities at a decided disadvantage.

I don't think we should stop transfers just make the rules the same no matter where you transfer. Personally, if a guy wants to transfer from Penn St to North Carolina why should the waiting period be any different than transferring to Chattanooga.

RadMann
November 21st, 2007, 04:04 PM
Actually Flacco did sit out a year since he was not released from his scholarship by Pitt. That did not lessen his impact, but he could have been even better if the Pitt coach had not been such an a$$.

TokyoGriz
November 21st, 2007, 04:17 PM
Athletes are students first, and being students they should have the first say in were they attend school.

The two year rule doesnt help the kids at all, in fact it screws them. It only helps sub-per FCS teams who feel jealous.

Focus should be on whats best for the student athletes not whiney FCS programs who feel left out if they dont get transfers.

Minuteman87
November 21st, 2007, 04:31 PM
Some of the transfers UMass gets were originally recruited by UMass in the first place, for example, Reshaude Goodwin, the defensive back from BC (who had an interception against the Eagles wiped out by a penalty).

BTW, rumor has it UMass is getting another transfer from BC, a 6-5, 270-pound DL who goes by Corey Eason. 3* coming out of high school. He went to HS in Mass., so there is a good chance UMass recruited him then too.

I've made this point before ... UMass has lots of transfers, but few are impact players. If a kid wants to transfer, why stop him? There are many reasons kids transfer, not just to go from dud to stud on the football field. It may because he wants to be closer to home, maybe he wants to be in a place he's more comfortable, maybe a place that has the academic path he wants to pursue. I like the rules as they are now.

Hey, even Harvard gets transfers from FBS schools.

Minuteman87
November 21st, 2007, 04:33 PM
Just read your post TokyoGriz. Well put.

Walkon79
November 21st, 2007, 04:36 PM
Athletes are students first, and being students they should have the first say in were they attend school.

The two year rule doesnt help the kids at all, in fact it screws them. It only helps sub-per FCS teams who feel jealous.

Focus should be on whats best for the student athletes not whiney FCS programs who feel left out if they dont get transfers.

The two year rule will most definitely help with APR issues, however. How many senior transfers actually attend classes and finish their degrees? That's why it's in place now. I know for a fact that Jefferson quit school right after football last year to train for NFL scouts, and MSU took a hit on the APR rating because of it. I think its a needed change to the rule.

Franks Tanks
November 21st, 2007, 04:37 PM
Didnt realize Flacco was a transer--Deleware would probably beat Pitt anyway there terrible.

Who was the Rico guy or whatever who played QB for Delaware in 2004- wasnt he a Missouri Transfer.

blukeys
November 21st, 2007, 05:12 PM

Restrictions on Transfers only helps FBS schools intent on maintaining a system of servitude. The Flacco case is an excellent example. Flacco was recruited by the prior coach at Pittsburgh who was replaced by that piece of slime who ruined the Miami Dolphins, Wannstadt. (Hereinafter referred to as POS for Piece of sh@#$$$t Wannstadt)

At any rate Flacco after his redshirt year asked POS WANNSTADT if he would be allowed to COMPETE for the starting job at PU.

POS WANNSTADT told him NO. In POS WANNSTADT opinion there was no way that Flacco would ever start until his current QB graduated. This meant Flacco would only be considered for a starting job his senior year and of course POS WANNSTADT would not give him any assurances that even that would happen.

SOOOO as any young man who wants to play football would do Flacco considered his options. He chose to transfer to UD. He just wanted to play. Flacco probably would have gotten pro consideration if he played for one year at PU.

POS WANNSTADT in a fit of childish anger chose to not release Flacco from his scolly which meant that Flacco could not play the year he transfered unlike other FBS to FCS players but he also had to pay for his year at UD.

This was all done and Flacco has flourished at UD unlike POS WANNSTADT.

At any rate Joe Flacco is a perfect example of how student-athletes should have the free reign to go to schools that allow them to play as they all want to do. Restricting the student athletes only lead to abuses by disgusting, incompetent, lame brained, ethically challenged coaches such as POS WANNSTADT!!!!!!xnodx :o xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

Franks Tanks
November 21st, 2007, 05:16 PM
Restrictions on Transfers only helps FBS schools intent on maintaining a system of servitude. The Flacco case is an excellent example. Flacco was recruited by the prior coach at Pittsburgh who was replaced by that piece of slime who ruined the Miami Dolphins, Wannstadt. (Hereinafter referred to as POS for Piece of sh@#$$$t Wannstadt)

At any rate Flacco after his redshirt year asked POS WANNSTADT if he would be allowed to COMPETE for the starting job at PU.

POS WANNSTADT told him NO. In POS WANNSTADT opinion there was no way that Flacco would ever start until his current QB graduated. This meant Flacco would only be considered for a starting job his senior year and of course POS WANNSTADT would not give him any assurances that even that would happen.

SOOOO as any young man who wants to play football would do Flacco considered his options. He chose to transfer to UD. He just wanted to play. Flacco probably would have gotten pro consideration if he played for one year at PU.

POS WANNSTADT in a fit of childish anger chose to not release Flacco from his scolly which meant that Flacco could not play the year he transfered unlike other FBS to FCS players but he also had to pay for his year at UD.

At any rate Joe Flacco is a perfect example of how student-athletes should have the free reign to go to schools that allow them to play as they all want to do. Restricting the student athletes only lead to abuses by disgusting, incompetent, lame brained, ethically challenged coaches such as POS WANNSTADT!!!!!!xnodx :o xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

A coach refusing to release a kid from a scholarship is the most d*ck move ever. Its hard to make a perfect choice when your 17--they should let the kid move on to take advantage of his precious playing time.

ucdtim17
November 21st, 2007, 06:20 PM
A coach refusing to release a kid from a scholarship is the most d*ck move ever. Its hard to make a perfect choice when your 17--they should let the kid move on to take advantage of his precious playing time.

There are reasons to not release a kid from his schollie other than spite. Players have to be responsible about transferring and follow the rules to be fair to both institutions

Seawolf97
November 21st, 2007, 07:09 PM

Its funny we picked up Brandon Mason who was a Pitt recruit. I dont know what transpired at Pitt but he became an instant starter for us. He rushed for over 600 yards and had 8 touchdowns this season. He provided great balance for our running game and he is back in 2008.

Maroon&White
November 21st, 2007, 07:29 PM
Delaware does NOT take an inordinate number of transfers.. in fact UD is very average to below average.. when compared to the rest of the FCS in the number of transfers they accept. In the CAA alone.. UMass takes FAR more transfers than UD. The only reason that Delaware gets 'ragged' EVERY time the 'transfer' issue is debated is NOT because they take an inordinate number transfers.. it's due to the QUALITY of some their transfers. Transfers like Andy Hall, Shawn Johnson, Joe Flacco have turned into GREAT players.. which obviously continues to irritate the 'bitch and moan' crowd to no end.

A thread on transfers and it took 14 posts until UMass was mentioned?? No surprise it was by a UD fan.

xcoffeex

Ud1Hens
November 21st, 2007, 07:42 PM
UD recruited Flacco hard out of high school...so when things didn't go right at Pitt., he remembered the FCS team that wanted him the whole time.

In an article earlier this season KC Keeler said that Delaware only takes about 4-5 transfers every year...out of over 100 that want to come to UD.

MR. CHICKEN
November 21st, 2007, 08:59 PM
DON'T YA GET THREE DAYS...TA VOID UH PURCHASE...IFIN' YA CHANGE YER MIND?..........DEN WHAA CAIN'T FBS PLAYERS......HAVE DUH OPTION TA DROP DOWN.......WHEN DEY REALIZE DERE SITUATION..IS UH MISTAKE???????????

ChickenMan
November 22nd, 2007, 08:58 AM
A thread on transfers and it took 14 posts until UMass was mentioned?? No surprise it was by a UD fan.

xcoffeex

Just putting the FACTS out there.. not intended as a shot at UMass.

I have no problem with UMass.. UD or anyone else in the FCS accepting 'transfers'.. but it gets very tiresome when EVERY time the transfer issue is discussed.. UD is ALWAYS the school that is identified as the leading haven for FBS transfers. The FACT is that UD accepts a very 'average' number of transfers and no where near the number of many of the other schools in the FCS or the CAA.

phillyAPP
November 22nd, 2007, 09:10 AM
Just putting the FACTS out there.. not intended as a shot at UMass.

I have no problem with UMass.. UD or anyone else in the FCS accepting 'transfers'.. but it gets very tiresome when EVERY time the transfer issue is discussed.. UD is ALWAYS the school that is identified as the leading haven for FBS transfers. The FACT is that UD accepts a very 'average' number of transfers and no where near the number of many of the other schools in the FCS or the CAA.

Don't worry about what people say, just enjoy the results. Winning is nice!
Its the coaches job to find and play the best players within the rules. Transfers are within the rules.

BlueHen86
November 22nd, 2007, 01:10 PM
Don't worry about what people say, just enjoy the results. Winning is nice!
Its the coaches job to find and play the best players within the rules. Transfers are within the rules.

xnodx