PDA

View Full Version : Gateway or MVC?

Ronin
November 21st, 2007, 09:41 AM
Which name would you like to have for the 2008 season.

Originally posted by Purple For Life
I was just listening to our play-by-play guy Gary Rima's "On Press Row" show, and he was talking to our AD Rick Hartzell...Rick said that they are trying to switch the Gateway to Missouri Valley next spring.

bandl
November 21st, 2007, 09:43 AM
Which would you like to have for the 2008 season.

Have for what? xconfusedx

dgreco
November 21st, 2007, 10:11 AM
i like the MVC name.

MplsBison
November 21st, 2007, 10:17 AM
With the success of MVC men's hoops, why not try to capitalize?

It also standardizes things for UNI, ILSU, INSU, MSU and SIU.

saluki_in_ohio
November 21st, 2007, 10:27 AM
I picked Gateway.

Now, if the Gateway would move as a conference to FBS, then I would support a name change to the MVC.

BearsCountry
November 21st, 2007, 10:52 AM
MVC to make everything under one conference.

AZGrizFan
November 21st, 2007, 11:30 AM
Big Sky Conference. :D

Barnstormer
November 21st, 2007, 11:33 AM

Heh.

BearsCountry
November 21st, 2007, 11:59 AM
MVC name is reconginzed through college sports, outside of FCS circles - nobody knows the Gateway. Same deal as the Yankee to A-10 to CAA. Capitalzie on the brand people know.

FCS Preview
November 21st, 2007, 12:24 PM
Same deal as the Yankee to A-10 to CAA. Capitalzie on the brand people know.
People didn't know the A-10? ;)

DOME
November 21st, 2007, 12:58 PM
I agree, everything else is MVC.
But then what do we do with those whacky Penguins from the east?

Lets merge them with Indiana St.

igo4uni
November 21st, 2007, 01:14 PM
MVC to make everything under one conference.

yep.

Ronin
November 21st, 2007, 01:21 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx -- Thanks

CollegeSportsInfo
November 21st, 2007, 01:36 PM
The CAA went above an beyond in order to attain football sponsorship. They could have brought in Boston University, which to most was the better of the Boston choices of Northeastern and BU. but NU had football, so they got the invite so that the CAA would have 6 teams.

It makes even more sense for the MVC. If they can switch the name from Gateway to MVC and better the conferences voting position within the NCAA, and be able to do it with only 5 MVC teams (and not be forced to add a 6th)...it makes sense.

UNIFanSince1983
November 21st, 2007, 02:20 PM
I personally like the MVC just to keep it the same for everything else. I mean it basically is run by the MVC anyways. But I do like the gateway too so I guess I don't know.

MplsBison
November 21st, 2007, 02:22 PM
Of course, Drake could wake up tomorrow and decide they want to sponsor 63 scholarships and they'd automatically be in the Gateway/Valley ala UConn to the Big East.

crunifan
November 21st, 2007, 02:28 PM
Definitely MVC.

The MVC is known as the premier basketball league outside the BCS conferences. We should capitalize on that image.

HI54UNI
November 21st, 2007, 08:51 PM

Big Fluff :p :p :p :p :p :p xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix

j/k

skinny_uncle
November 21st, 2007, 11:04 PM
I think Death Valley might be a better name.
xnodx

BearsCountry
November 22nd, 2007, 02:03 AM
I think Death Valley might be a better name.
xnodx

The dumb*** sign man for us has that sign. Makes me not want to hear that term. :)

PantherRob82
November 22nd, 2007, 03:38 AM
don't bring up sign man.....:)

skinny_uncle
November 22nd, 2007, 06:23 AM
Whatever they call it, it is going to be one tough league next year.

dgreco
November 22nd, 2007, 06:25 AM
Whatever they call it, it is going to be one tough league next year.

probably the toughest, or 1b to CAA being 1a.

therealbigredrules
November 22nd, 2007, 09:07 AM
Keep Gateway.

It is not the MVC because the MVC is not expanding to allow all Gateway teams play basketball.

Herdman
November 22nd, 2007, 09:12 AM
I picked Gateway.

Now, if the Gateway would move as a conference to FBS, then I would support a name change to the MVC.Exactly.

BearsCountry
November 22nd, 2007, 09:13 AM
Keep Gateway.

It is not the MVC because the MVC is not expanding to allow all Gateway teams play basketball.

We should have added you guys instead of Evansville. But you guys were real close go blame SLU.

Herdman
November 22nd, 2007, 09:16 AM
Of course, Drake could wake up tomorrow and decide they want to sponsor 63 scholarships and they'd automatically be in the Gateway/Valley ala UConn to the Big East.And then hell will freeze over and track will become the #1 spectator sport in college athletics.

Good one though.xthumbsupx

therealbigredrules
November 22nd, 2007, 09:37 AM
We should have added you guys instead of Evansville. But you guys were real close go blame SLU.

I live in Evansville so I do get a chance to see some MVC games when every I want. It is so sad that UE has lost to two low level OVC teams in BB so far this year. I would agree the MVC made a mistake but what is done is done. Anyway, No blame to SLU or anyone...I am somewhat indifferent to the issue at this point. I see another conference shake up coming in the next 5 years and WKU should be better positioned to make the move out of the Belt.

We shall see. By the way, WKU plays Gonzaga tonight so looking forward to see how we do.

th0m
November 22nd, 2007, 10:31 AM
I know what the Gateway commish was thinking contemplating the name change: "Damn, the A-10 changed their name to the CAA this year, and they got 5 playoff bids! Maybe we should change our name too?" xlolx

Purple For Life
November 22nd, 2007, 10:46 AM
Well, as even Rick said, the Gateway and MVC offices are in the same office...so no big deal to change it, really.

BearsCountry
November 22nd, 2007, 10:05 PM
I live in Evansville so I do get a chance to see some MVC games when every I want. It is so sad that UE has lost to two low level OVC teams in BB so far this year. I would agree the MVC made a mistake but what is done is done. Anyway, No blame to SLU or anyone...I am somewhat indifferent to the issue at this point. I see another conference shake up coming in the next 5 years and WKU should be better positioned to make the move out of the Belt.

We shall see. By the way, WKU plays Gonzaga tonight so looking forward to see how we do.

Evansville was a short-sided move IMO, at the time they were added they had great success and continued but the writing should have been on the wall. Oh well.

But on the other hand I see WKU moving to CUSA in the future. Best of luck to you guys as I understand why you made the move up, even though lots on here dont. I wish you were part of the Valley though xsmhx hopefully we can be conference mates again someday.

bkrownd
November 23rd, 2007, 07:24 AM
They should go back to the original name - MVIAA

JBB
November 23rd, 2007, 08:40 AM
The Missouri Valley is best for North and South Dakota States Identity because the Missouri river runs through both states.

spelunker64
November 23rd, 2007, 08:49 AM
Names Schmames, doesn't really matter...

MplsBison
November 23rd, 2007, 08:55 AM
According to this: http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=184250&section=Columnists&columnist=Jeff%20Kolpack

the name change might along the lines of "Missouri Valley Football Conference" and the presidents in FB would continue having separate meetings from the presidents for BB.

It wouldn't be a situation where NDSU, SDSU, WIU, and YSU would be football affiliate members of the MVC.

Of course, if NDSU and SDSU were invited into the MVC for bball in 10 years, perhaps the MVC would in fact take things completely over.

JayJ79
November 23rd, 2007, 10:10 AM
According to this: http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=184250&section=Columnists&columnist=Jeff%20Kolpack

the name change might along the lines of "Missouri Valley Football Conference" and the presidents in FB would continue having separate meetings from the presidents for BB.

It wouldn't be a situation where NDSU, SDSU, WIU, and YSU would be football affiliate members of the MVC.

That makes more sense