PDA

View Full Version : My apologies to Lehigh fans

Delaware Ghostrider II
September 11th, 2005, 08:55 AM
I myself ebing a diehard...North Endzone junkie want to apologize..sincerely to the lehigh fans that sat in the NEZ with us last night. There were a few that were yelling the usual..."Your school sucks". There was some over intoxicated young gentleman that kept yelling "Lehigh is for nerds"...lol. But my wife and I were sitting behind another hen fan which had 4-5 people that he was sitting with that were routing for Lehigh. We were all having a good time when this over intoxicated young amn I was talking about starts yelling some very vulgar stuff..in which the gentleman behind us (a UD fan) had his 3-5 year olds with him and he asked the guy to stop using that language....The young man told the guy to "F" off! The guy just sat there shocked. Anyway back to the Lehigh fans. They were not causing any great disturbance....when they scored...they cheered. Then the intoxicated kid...really got outta hand. He was saying stuff that I will not repeat here. I mean we were gettin our butts whipped at the time....so they (lehigh fans) were cheering. Well you know you always have those guys that can dish it out but cant take it....this was the classic example. In the beginning of the 4th quarter...when Lehigh scored there last regualtion TD....the lehigh fan turned around and flexed his muscles at the Intoxicated kid...and then was threatened that if he didnt sit down and shut up that he was going to get his @ss kicked. ......Anyway once again I apologize for this display of ignorance. It doesn't reflect how all of UD's fans are.

blukeys
September 11th, 2005, 10:27 AM
You can and should get an usher or security for the idiots you've described. They can and should be thrown out. I've done it before and will not hesitate to do it again.

Delaware Ghostrider II
September 11th, 2005, 10:31 AM
I believe that the gentleman that was sitting with the group of Lehigh fnas did indeed alert security. When they came up into the stands...I think that they were just observing the two that I was describing. I got too into the the last 5 minutes or so ...to the point that was ignoring them. I just don't want visiting fans to think that all hens fans are @ssholes. I have actually made a few friends from other schools up there in the NEZ stands. Don't get me wrong good trashtalking is a must, but just be somewhat respectful.

Tribe4SF
September 11th, 2005, 10:37 AM
You can and should get an usher or security for the idiots you've described. They can and should be thrown out. I've done it before and will not hesitate to do it again.

That's the way it should be. Profanity with young kids around is reason enough to be removed. Threatening bodily harm is reason for arrest along with drunk-in-public.

Since the north end zone has been mentioned before, UD should post security in that area. There are too many thousands of great fans at UD to allow the few to give your school a blackeye.

bluehenbillk
September 11th, 2005, 11:29 AM
I can't believe you guys are talking about the wrong end zone. Did you hear the chant coming from the South all night directed toward the LU student section??

bluehenbillk
September 11th, 2005, 11:30 AM
To be fair & balanced there were some asses from LU there too. There was a drunken kid roaming the Gold lot before the game in a sportscoat & shorts running his mouth non-stop at anyone that looked at him.

ngineer
September 11th, 2005, 12:06 PM
I was in section M last night--Row C-right next to the Hawk's Nest (LU's student spirit group). First--great seats to view--if you can view. Unfortunately the constant stream of people walking up and down the steps next to the tunnel was bothersome, but when breaks occured, it was great location. Personally, I experienced no problem. I was wearing my "Lehigh Engineers" hat and Mountain Hawk golf shirt and carrying my Lehigh folding seat--so I was a clear target if someone wanted one. In fact, had several decent exchanges with a few Hens who told me they thought a lot more of us now.
The only negative of the night was the "F^ck You" chant that emanated from the South End Zone stands at one point in the first half, and I was concerned that things could degenerate after that , but they didn't. Overall, other than the outcome (otherwise, how did you enjoy the play, Mrs. Lincoln), it was a great night for college football.

LUHawker
September 11th, 2005, 12:28 PM
I myself ebing a diehard...North Endzone junkie want to apologize..sincerely to the lehigh fans that sat in the NEZ with us last night. There were a few that were yelling the usual..."Your school sucks". There was some over intoxicated young gentleman that kept yelling "Lehigh is for nerds"...lol. But my wife and I were sitting behind another hen fan which had 4-5 people that he was sitting with that were routing for Lehigh. We were all having a good time when this over intoxicated young amn I was talking about starts yelling some very vulgar stuff..in which the gentleman behind us (a UD fan) had his 3-5 year olds with him and he asked the guy to stop using that language....The young man told the guy to "F" off! The guy just sat there shocked. Anyway back to the Lehigh fans. They were not causing any great disturbance....when they scored...they cheered. Then the intoxicated kid...really got outta hand. He was saying stuff that I will not repeat here. I mean we were gettin our butts whipped at the time....so they (lehigh fans) were cheering. Well you know you always have those guys that can dish it out but cant take it....this was the classic example. In the beginning of the 4th quarter...when Lehigh scored there last regualtion TD....the lehigh fan turned around and flexed his muscles at the Intoxicated kid...and then was threatened that if he didnt sit down and shut up that he was going to get his @ss kicked. ......Anyway once again I apologize for this display of ignorance. It doesn't reflect how all of UD's fans are.

I really appreciate the apology in X section as I was one of the LU fans being harassed. I know there are a-holes everywhere, but those guys went too far. Regardless of the disappointing outcome from my perspective, the harassment detracted from what was otherwise a good game and a generally great atmosphere. I have a feeling that we may be at the Tub again in '05, but I'll be sure to get tickets for the LU section next time.

Delaware Ghostrider II
September 11th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Hey LUHawker...where exactly where u in X? I was in row E. about 2 rows up from the 80+ year old lady that the "young men" were harrassing. Also the jackhole in the sports coat came up in the North Stands and was giving us an example of what alocohol can due to someone who already has an ego problem. As for the South End Zone...I could hear something being said but could not distinguish what it was......Also LUhawker...if you were in the same area of @ssholes I am talking about...I was the one with my white #12 jersey on...with the hot blonde (my wife)...lol.....unforunately Mr. Ego Alcohol was sitted right next to me. All in all...other then the alcohol brothers...I had a good time....Lehigh is surely a talented team....#2 is an awesone little guy.

kardplayer
September 11th, 2005, 01:45 PM
I was at the game in the Lehigh section as well. I was also decked out in a Lehigh Alum t-shirt/bullseye.

I found virtually all of the Delaware fans I interacted with friendly and a credit to the school. There was plenty of good-natured ribbing - in both directions - at the tailgates and on the way into the game, and no one gave us grief after the game.

There was the one obscene chant, but I was far enough away from it that it had no impact on my enjoyment - and I had my 4 year old with me.

I was also impressed by the campus and facilities in general.

Overall, I definitely walk away with a very positive opinion of UD and their fans.

pksundevil
September 11th, 2005, 01:58 PM
Overall, I actually thought a much higher percentage of Lehigh fans where I was (Section Y) were acting in a rude manner. That probably was influenced by the fact that the guys in the sportscoats moved into our section in the fourth quarter and were beyond obnoxious, and there was also an older alum with a "Rich" nametag who got way overconfident way too soon and showed it.

I also found it amusing that 50-100 Lehigh fans tried to move from the LU section towards the NEZ and ended up blocking aisles in the grandstand for one of the goal-line stands in the fourth quarter.

So, yeah, some UD fans were definitely jerks, but a nice subset of LU fans held their own in that department.

Delaware Ghostrider II
September 11th, 2005, 03:17 PM
I agree...there was a large amount of LU fans in the north zone. More visiting fans then we are used to seeing in our neck of the stadium...other than the few jerks.....it was a good time had. But I hate to see fans making either school look like a bunch of jerks. You figure..Lehigh had the sportscoat clown...and me and a few others had to put up with the Budweiser brothers. I'm not normally one for hunting down security...but if this kind of thing happens at any more games this year...expect to see them hanging around the NEZ more.

ngineer
September 11th, 2005, 04:29 PM
Overall, I actually thought a much higher percentage of Lehigh fans where I was (Section Y) were acting in a rude manner. That probably was influenced by the fact that the guys in the sportscoats moved into our section in the fourth quarter and were beyond obnoxious, and there was also an older alum with a "Rich" nametag who got way overconfident way too soon and showed it.

I also found it amusing that 50-100 Lehigh fans tried to move from the LU section towards the NEZ and ended up blocking aisles in the grandstand for one of the goal-line stands in the fourth quarter.

So, yeah, some UD fans were definitely jerks, but a nice subset of LU fans held their own in that department.

The 50 or so fans who moved in on the NEZ area during the goal line stand was The Hawk Nest (the student spirit group) who were seated in Sec. M next to us. During the goal line stand, the felt their vocal support was needed at that end of the field since there were few LU people in that area--so they got up and ran down there to lend their support. Just youthful exuberance... :D

89Hen
September 11th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Did any of you guys catch the Lehigh fan in Section Y with her clarinet. I have a great pic of her that I need to download from my camera. :eek:

ngineer
September 11th, 2005, 07:32 PM
Did any of you guys catch the Lehigh fan in Section Y with her clarinet. I have a great pic of her that I need to download from my camera. :eek:

I was in Section M so I'll have to await the picture... :confused:

89Hen
September 11th, 2005, 07:55 PM
That was great, but what was even better was they were completely drowned out when they started chanting 'Let's Go Lehigh' with 'Let's Go Blue Hens'. :p

LUHawker
September 11th, 2005, 07:55 PM
Hey LUHawker...where exactly where u in X? I was in row E. about 2 rows up from the 80+ year old lady that the "young men" were harrassing. Also the jackhole in the sports coat came up in the North Stands and was giving us an example of what alocohol can due to someone who already has an ego problem. As for the South End Zone...I could hear something being said but could not distinguish what it was......Also LUhawker...if you were in the same area of @ssholes I am talking about...I was the one with my white #12 jersey on...with the hot blonde (my wife)...lol.....unforunately Mr. Ego Alcohol was sitted right next to me. All in all...other then the alcohol brothers...I had a good time....Lehigh is surely a talented team....#2 is an awesone little guy.

I, in fact, was the LU fan who was told that if I did not sit down, I would have my arse kicked by the UD fan in the gold T-shirt. I was in front of you and generally tried to avoid turning around, so I apparently missed your hot wife ;) . The UD gentleman, with whom I sat and who eventually couldn't take it any longer and called in security, is my best bud's father-in-law, who sent two girls to UD. Despite a favorable outcome for his team, he was, understandably, ashamed. I appreciate UD's tremendous fan support and the intensity of the rivaly and even appreciated the little banter I had going on early with a very respectable UD fan early on. Again, thanks for the apology and hopefuly we'll meet again in '05, but preferably in Bethlehem :)

ngineer
September 11th, 2005, 10:19 PM
That was great, but what was even better was they were completely drowned out when they started chanting 'Let's Go Lehigh' with 'Let's Go Blue Hens'. :p

Hey, give the kids credit for wanting to go down there and give their team support. 50 kids versus the several thousand in that section of the stadium took some guts! ;) And don't thnk the players did not appreciate it. I've been there--and knowing you have a few pulling for you even against the odds does help the psyche. ;)