PDA

View Full Version : Playoff officials

JayJ79
November 21st, 2007, 02:09 AM
Just curious how the officials are shuffled around for the playoffs.
So if you happen to know which conference the officiating crew for your playoff game will be from, post it here.

Not really looking for complaints about any particular refs, just curious who they have working where.

First round:
New Hampshire (CAA) @ Northern Iowa (Gateway)
I heard that it will be Big Sky officials for this one.

GRZZ
November 21st, 2007, 02:31 AM
Just curious how the officials are shuffled around for the playoffs.
So if you happen to know which conference the officiating crew for your playoff game will be from, post it here.

Not really looking for complaints about any particular refs, just curious who they have working where.

First round:
New Hampshire (CAA) @ Northern Iowa (Gateway)
I heard that it will be Big Sky officials for this one.

Let me be the first to apologize.xoopsx

JayJ79
November 21st, 2007, 02:38 AM

eh, I've heard complaints about pretty much every conference's officials.
Bad calls happen. *shrug*

Big Dawg
November 21st, 2007, 02:42 AM
If anyone ends up with MEAC officials...well, good luck.xlolx

These guys don't just make bad calls, they make make game changing calls.

rickp51
November 21st, 2007, 12:08 PM
New Hampshire vs. UNI - Big Sky

Delaware St. vs. Delaware - Gateway

Eastern Illinios vs. Southern Illinois - Colonial

Fordam vs. UMASS - SoCon

Eastern Washington vs. McNeese St. - Colonial

James Madison vs. Applachian St. - OVC

Wofford vs. Montana - Southland

Eastern Kentucky vs. Richmond - MEAC

GreatAppSt
November 21st, 2007, 12:13 PM
Fordam vs. UMASS - SoCon

I formally change my prediction for this game. Fordam has a real shot at winning this one now. FU by 1.

R.A.
November 21st, 2007, 12:21 PM
LOL...This is one reason I love the playoffs man... EVERYTHING GETS MIXED UP!! Just like our big ole melting pot of a country.

By the way, there is positively no way, any of your conferences can have worse refs than the MEAC...

rickp51, please give us the web link to you source of information.

Richmond, if you don't win in a route... you might not win at all.

texcap
November 21st, 2007, 12:23 PM

Fordam vs. UMASS - SoCon

If everything else that has been written didn't prove to you that Wofford got the shaft, this pretty much is the icing on the cake.

BigApp
November 21st, 2007, 01:05 PM
Fordam vs. UMASS - SoCon

http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/sick/sick0019.gif

I'll take the Rams and lay the points

Tealblood
November 21st, 2007, 01:16 PM

Fordam vs. UMASS - SoCon

not sure i understand the wisdom of sending a b squad or 2nd tier off. crew

Tealblood
November 21st, 2007, 01:19 PM
I also wonder if since Colonial officials are reffing these 2 games if the 2 "Eastern" teams will recieve a bias.xsmiley_wix

Tealblood
November 21st, 2007, 01:20 PM
That would be an "East" coast bias

pokefan02
November 21st, 2007, 02:04 PM
Southland refs are also big 12 refs

OldTiredGriz
November 21st, 2007, 02:26 PM
I'm not one who ever blames the outcome of a game on the officiating, but I do have to say that the Big Sky officiating crews (and not just in Montana games; I saw lots of other BSC games) made me groan way more than usual this season. I hope that all 8 games are clean, hard hitting and well played games without any sort of questionable calls.

Grizzaholic
November 21st, 2007, 02:29 PM
If everything else that has been written didn't prove to you that Wofford got the shaft, this pretty much is the icing on the cake.

Why is that? Are they as bad as the Big Fluffy Sky refs?

dukesfan74
November 21st, 2007, 02:30 PM
Don't they use replay during the playoffs if there is TV?

Khan4Cats
November 21st, 2007, 02:32 PM
Shouldn't there be five groups of Colonial refs?xrolleyesx

Squealofthepig
November 21st, 2007, 02:39 PM
I'm not one who ever blames the outcome of a game on the officiating, but I do have to say that the Big Sky officiating crews (and not just in Montana games; I saw lots of other BSC games) made me groan way more than usual this season. I hope that all 8 games are clean, hard hitting and well played games without any sort of questionable calls.

I have to agree with this. It's not uncommon for any team's fans to pile on the refs when a couple of coin-flip calls go against them.

In the Big Sky this year, I can think of a couple of games where there were not just calls AGAINST the team being questioned, but also calls that went FOR the team. (For example, there was one late hit out of bounds against Montana State last week that I definitely thought should have been left alone, as there was no way the Cats player could have kept from falling on the guy).

Officiating - good or bad - should even out, and most of us know how pointless it is to complain, but it's been a bit of a head-scratcher this year in the BSC.

JayJ79
November 21st, 2007, 05:20 PM
Don't they use replay during the playoffs if there is TV?

From the 2007 NCAA D-I Football Championship Handbook (p. 18):

Instant replay will be used at both semifinal sites and the 2007 Division I Football Championship game. Instant replay equipment will be provided to each seminfinal/championship site via DV Sports. Instant replay officials will be provided by the NCAA and DV Sports. The host institution will be responsible for providing someone to assist with communications between instant replay officials and the sidelines. A representative from DV Sports will be present at the mandatory pregame meeting to answer any questions.
Dedicated “private” space in the press box or suite level to accomodate no less than four people is required. This “private” space should contain the following:
1. An unobstructed view of the playing field.
2. Adequate counter space (at least 10 feet long and two feet deep) in the front of the box.
3. At least two dedicated power sources with a minimum of four power outlets.
4. Enough power to accomodate a power consumption of 520 Watts/110 Volts = 4.73 amps.
5. Seperated from any other activity (media, fans, etc.).

So no instant replay for first or second rounds

Ronbo
November 21st, 2007, 05:57 PM
Hmmm.....

We get the Conference Officials from the other seed in our bracket?xconfusedx

Tealblood
November 21st, 2007, 05:59 PM
Shouldn't there be five groups of Colonial refs?xrolleyesx

If you don't think that ref's are ranked within a conference you are kidding yourself.

I guarantee you the same group of refs had the headline game almost every week.

Just like almost every Saturday during the ACC game of the week on ABC(the one at 3:30 on Sar. afternoon) You see Ron Cherry doing the game its not a coinkydinky.

pokum88
November 21st, 2007, 07:00 PM

This has been the best officials the SLC has had in years, not say great but a big improvement.

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 21st, 2007, 07:46 PM
Let's hope that a bad call does not change the outcome of any game.

sharkeycox
November 21st, 2007, 08:56 PM

I disagree. I have seen every Southland conference game played in the hole, and this years bunch has been the best ever. I am sure it is because of the association with the Big 12 refs the conference adopted this year. For once, they are not an embarrassment to the league.
xsmiley_wix

Houndawg
November 21st, 2007, 09:01 PM
not sure i understand the wisdom of sending a b squad or 2nd tier off. crew

To smooth the way for EIU @ UMass. I have to agree with the slams on the MEAC, they were awful for SIU @ Hampton. And we won by 3 TDs. Check this call out: Play is dead. Downfield a Hampton DB earholes an SIU receiver after the whistle in front of the zebra, who drops towel. The Call?
personal foul, defense...............wait for it......................here it comes.....UNECESSARY ROUGHNESS, OFFENSE! Hamptons DBs could have brought saddles to ride our WRs with, but SIU gets two offensive Pass interference calls, and seven penalties before Hampton sees one.

MR. CHICKEN
November 21st, 2007, 09:09 PM
AGIN' 'NOVA.......EARLY ON...IN DUH GAME.....OMAR...IS STOPPED....HIS BODY IS IN UH AWKWARD POSITION...LIKE THREE SECONDS...AFTERAH DUH WHISTLE....HE'S CLOCKED...BY UH 'NOVA TUB O' GOO....(POSSIBLY DUH PLAY HE SUFFERED HIS LOWER BACK SPRAIN)....EVERAH-ONE IS PROTESTIN' TA DUH REF........NO FLAG.........IT WAS EARLY IN UH BIG RIVALRY.....DUH FLAG WOULDAH SENT UH MESSAGE.....NO TOLERATIN' ANYTHIN' BUT UH CLEAN GAME.........FOURFF Q........OURAH KICK RETURNER...IS DROPPED...LIKE UH BAG O' POTTIN' SOIL....WHIFF UH FACE MASK TACKLE.....DAT RIGHT LADS...NO CALL......DUH X-TRA 15......COULDAH HELPED OURAH ATTEMPT....AT WINNIN'.....NUFFIN' LIKE TRYIN' TA BEAT YER OPPOSITION & DUH REFS!

GreatAppSt
November 21st, 2007, 09:29 PM

This could realy help Wofford. The southland refs might be really cold themselves and wish to keep the ball in the hands of the team that will run that clock out as quick as possible so they can get back to the warm indoors.:D

JMU2004
November 21st, 2007, 09:37 PM
AGIN' 'NOVA.......EARLY ON...IN DUH GAME.....OMAR...IS STOPPED....HIS BODY IS IN UH AWKWARD POSITION...LIKE THREE SECONDS...AFTERAH DUH WHISTLE....HE'S CLOCKED...BY UH 'NOVA TUB O' GOO....(POSSIBLY DUH PLAY HE SUFFERED HIS LOWER BACK SPRAIN)....EVERAH-ONE IS PROTESTIN' TA DUH REF........NO FLAG.........IT WAS EARLY IN UH BIG RIVALRY.....DUH FLAG WOULDAH SENT UH MESSAGE.....NO TOLERATIN' ANYTHIN' BUT UH CLEAN GAME.........FOURFF Q........OURAH KICK RETURNER...IS DROPPED...LIKE UH BAG O' POTTIN' SOIL....WHIFF UH FACE MASK TACKLE.....DAT RIGHT LADS...NO CALL......DUH X-TRA 15......COULDAH HELPED OURAH ATTEMPT....AT WINNIN'.....NUFFIN' LIKE TRYIN' TA BEAT YER OPPOSITION & DUH REFS!

sounds familiar....I seem to remember a something similiar in our game, except it gave UD an easy 7. Without that call, its really likely that UD is sitting home at 7-4! In other words, what goes around comes around! xthumbsupx

MR. CHICKEN
November 21st, 2007, 09:39 PM
AGIN' NOR'EASTER.....OURAH SCORE BOARD IS ON DUH FRITZ.......TIME KEPT ON DUH FIELD..........DELAWARE HANDLED DUH HUSKIES......BUT NOT BAH ALOT.........IT WAS DUH FASTEST GAME AH CAN REMEBERAH...AT DUH TUB!

MR. CHICKEN
November 21st, 2007, 09:41 PM
sounds familiar....I seem to remember a something similiar in our game, except it gave UD an easy 7. Without that call, its really likely that UD is sitting home at 7-4! In other words, what goes around comes around! xthumbsupx

AN' MAY ARMANTI.......SHOW LEZOTTE......HOW TA PLAY PIGGY!

AAadict
November 21st, 2007, 09:47 PM
I have nothing intelligent to say here...'cept I love "duh" Mr. Chicken posts. If someone started a thread 'bout the best posters I rank him #1. This might be a good thread in Jan. when the FBS takes over.

CatFan22
November 21st, 2007, 11:25 PM

What he said.

WyomingGrizFan
November 22nd, 2007, 12:38 AM
I love "duh" Mr. Chicken posts. If someone started a thread 'bout the best posters I rank him #1.

You mean you understand him?

KAUMASS
November 22nd, 2007, 08:27 AM
I formally change my prediction for this game. Fordam has a real shot at winning this one now. FU by 1.

We have already seen ACC officials against BC. I can't fathom that the Socon officials could be any worse.

phillyAPP
November 22nd, 2007, 08:34 AM

Who gets SoCon refs ---- You better get a big lead because they like to choose the winner !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

phillyAPP
November 22nd, 2007, 08:40 AM
We have already seen ACC officials against BC. I can't fathom that the Socon officials could be any worse.

Tell me what you think after the Game. Happy Thanksgiving and GET A BIG LEAD !!!

KAUMASS
November 22nd, 2007, 09:05 AM
Tell me what you think after the Game. Happy Thanksgiving and GET A BIG LEAD !!!

Thanks for the heads up. At least it sounds like SoCon officials will let you get in the lead...ACC ref's kept us down without the lead!!!

Good luck against our brother, JMU. That is going to be a bruiser of a game.

R.A.
November 22nd, 2007, 09:10 AM
If anyone ends up with MEAC officials...well, good luck.xlolx

These guys don't just make bad calls, they make make game changing calls.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Purple For Life
November 22nd, 2007, 10:51 AM
You mean you understand him?

I have to slow down and really think each word out loud in my head, but after that, I understand him. xsmiley_wix

Calif_Colonial
November 22nd, 2007, 04:16 PM

Fordam vs. UMASS - SoCon

Give Thanks on Thanksgiving Day there are not any NEC officials in the 2007 Playoffs! xlolx xlolx xlolx