PDA

View Full Version : Rhode Island's Meade Stadium getting renovated?

rhowdyram
May 5th, 2023, 10:01 AM
What URI is going to do with Meade Stadium has been a source of discussion for over 20 years now, as the east stands started entering the end of their life cycle then and the capacity was substandard for the A10/CAA. In July 2000 the former west stands were demolished to make way for the 7657 seat Ryan Center. On the heels of that the following rendering first appeared late in 2001, showing the Ryan Center on the left and a renovated Meade Stadium on side of it.

To date, from that rendering we only have the stands attached to the Ryan Center. Those opened in time for the 2006 season and hold 2080 people. Starting in at least 2009 various parts of the east stands across from the Ryan Center have been condemned at various points, but enough work has been done to keep them open.

In 2018, knowing that something needed to be done in regards to the east stands, we hired Populous to create new renderings for a renovated Meade. These are the two designs they come up with.

So that's a short history, where do we stand now? First here's a view of just some of Meade's deficiencies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl6oqV4yFWQ&t=1s

The good news is help is potentially finally on the way. Currently in the governor's budget there is $42 million dollars to replace/renovate Meade Stadium. If that line item makes it through the legislative process work can begin on Meade as early as July 1st (though that date wouldn't really be feasible since the budget process will probably go right until the end of June) with us hopefully playing games in a newly renovated stadium as early as the 2025 season.

I'll keep updating this as more information comes out. Hopefully at some point in the next two months I'll be able to erase the question mark in the subject header.

kdinva
May 5th, 2023, 10:17 AM
thanks, very insightful.

DFW HOYA
May 5th, 2023, 12:09 PM
A compelling case, thanks for posting.

That press box isn't that bad, however, compared to what passed for same at Georgetown for far too long.

UNHWildcat18
May 5th, 2023, 12:10 PM
So happy for you guys! It’s very much needed, and honestly if URI puts in a new homeside, and say an end zone seating with a video board above, URI could go from one of the worst facilities in the FCS to one of the best.

CenMEBlackBearFan
May 5th, 2023, 02:21 PM
So happy for you guys! It’s very much needed, and honestly if URI puts in a new homeside, and say an end zone seating with a video board above, URI could go from one of the worst facilities in the FCS to one of the best.

Would be a similar transformation to what you guys went through. Love your replay board and the visitor's seats are much better than the 6 rows of bleacher seats that you used to have. Would loved to have seen a video of what it took to get into your old press box, that poor guy from Rhody never would have made it in.
Maine has plans to pull the track out and put end zone seats in similar to what Rhody is proposing, would be part of the new basketball arena.
https://media.newscentermaine.com/assets/WCSH/images/256d8f42-0777-463b-956f-49afe3a667f3/256d8f42-0777-463b-956f-49afe3a667f3_750x422.jpg

KPSUL
May 5th, 2023, 09:52 PM
The stands at URI that are on the side of the Ryan Center are a great place to watch a game from. They are steep, right next to the field and you access them through the Ryan Center.

TJT
May 6th, 2023, 10:20 AM
The west stands were built about 15 years ago and open at the top onto the concourse level of the adjacent Ryan Center Arena (basketball home). This provides the fans on this side much better concessions and bathrooms. The top box suite level of the Ryan Center looks down onto the field. The majority of the seating on this side are chairbacks.

https://fastly.4sqi.net/img/general/width960/545_lBIs2bb0AZrrUvF_IqVzR7LczqVKrgmiAu8hK0f2O0Q.jp g

Go...gate
May 7th, 2023, 03:14 AM
Very nice renovation!

caribbeanhen
May 7th, 2023, 05:33 AM
It’s great you won’t be able to see the traffic going by outside the stadium, or the parking lot like Maine

MR. CHICKEN
May 7th, 2023, 08:50 AM
The west stands were built about 15 years ago and open at the top onto the concourse level of the adjacent Ryan Center Arena (basketball home). This provides the fans on this side much better concessions and bathrooms. The top box suite level of the Ryan Center looks down onto the field. The majority of the seating on this side are chairbacks.

https://fastly.4sqi.net/img/general/width960/545_lBIs2bb0AZrrUvF_IqVzR7LczqVKrgmiAu8hK0f2O0Q.jp g

.....ISN'T THIS BUILDIN'.....UP BAH DUH HOLLYWOOD SIGN.........IN L.A.........xconfusedx..... BRAWK!

rhowdyram
May 19th, 2023, 11:11 AM

Thank you. The second design reminds me of UNH's redesign from a few years ago now, and that's as good a place as any to start. Rumor is we will be getting a video board this summer.

I truly think URI is a sleeping giant in football, but I'm biased. We've been easy to recruit against because of the persistent rumors of us doing away with football and the state of our facilities. This renovation would end the rumors of football's demise and having substandard facilities. With the right stadium, a great location, beautiful campus, and some relatively high level college basketball I think we can become an attractive destination for players.

rhowdyram
May 19th, 2023, 11:12 AM
Would be a similar transformation to what you guys went through. Love your replay board and the visitor's seats are much better than the 6 rows of bleacher seats that you used to have. Would loved to have seen a video of what it took to get into your old press box, that poor guy from Rhody never would have made it in.
Maine has plans to pull the track out and put end zone seats in similar to what Rhody is proposing, would be part of the new basketball arena.
https://media.newscentermaine.com/assets/WCSH/images/256d8f42-0777-463b-956f-49afe3a667f3/256d8f42-0777-463b-956f-49afe3a667f3_750x422.jpg

I thought I saw a video of what it took to get into the press box before, but a quick search on YouTube isn't bringing it up. Shane Donaldson, the guy in that video, is our sports information director and had an issue getting into the VCU basketball press area a couple of years ago due to his cerebral palsy.

https://www.wtvr.com/news/local-news/vcu-apologizes-to-basketball-broadcaster-with-cerebral-palsy-it-would-have-been-a-disaster

I can't wait for Maine to get that end zone and visitor side redesign done.

rhowdyram
June 3rd, 2023, 01:57 PM
https://www.wpri.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/23/2023/05/uri.jpg

Well, this project seems to be on life support. After the Governor proposed $43.3 million over three years to cover 80% of the costs for Meade and the track, last night our wonderful legislature came back with $28.3 million over two years for an athletic complex. Not sure what's part of that $28.3 million complex, but it doesn't appear enough to cover Meade repairs.

If you're a fan of a public University that gets properly supported by your state government, hug your politicians extra close tonight. Other schools would kill for real support one day.

For reference, with the $54 million Ryan Center, only 1/3 was funded by the state. Since then they proposed tens of millions to keep a AAA baseball team in the state, have spent around $200 million to buy the Providence Civic Center from the city of Providence and renovate it for an AHL hockey team and the PC Friars men's basketball team, and have spent $60 million on a stadium for an unaffiliated soccer team, yet we fight for table scraps and even then come up short.

The Cats
June 3rd, 2023, 02:21 PM

Well, this project seems to be on life support. After the Governor proposed $43.3 million over three years to cover 80% of the costs for Meade and the track, last night our wonderful legislature came back with $28.3 million over two years for an athletic complex. Not sure what's part of that $28.3 million complex, but it doesn't appear enough to cover Meade repairs.

If you're a fan of a public University that gets properly supported by your state government, hug your politicians extra close tonight. Other schools would kill for real support one day.

For reference, with the $54 million Ryan Center, only 1/3 was funded by the state. Since then they proposed tens of millions to keep a AAA baseball team in the state, have spent around $200 million to buy the Providence Civic Center from the city of Providence and renovate it for an AHL hockey team and the PC Friars men's basketball team, and have spent $60 million on a stadium for an unaffiliated soccer team, yet we fight for table scraps and even then come up short.

It must be nice to be in a state that will fund ANYTHING to do with athletic facilities, most states will not fund athletics or athletic facilities.

Henny
June 5th, 2023, 06:40 AM
Delaware fans can certainly understand the struggles of being in a small state and not having the state as an option for fundraising of athletic facilities. Several years ago the $65M Whitney Athletic Center was built with private donations and a $25M. match from UD.

There is a plan in place for a new $85M football practice facility, locker rooms and enhanced North End Zone but fundraising has hit a snag without a proper exit plan from the CAA.

Bill
June 5th, 2023, 07:41 AM

Hey Rhowdyram,

Thanks for the updates - I am not from RI...but have lived there for past 8 years. What are the baseball and softball "improvements"? I have been on campus dozens of times at those facilities. Are they planning on moving the field? $10 million dollars would buy an entire new field - are they also talking new locker room/indoor area, functioning bathrooms, etc?

Thanks!

TJT
June 19th, 2023, 01:51 PM
It would appear that a major upgrade of Meade Stadium will in fact finally happen. The new RI state budget that was just approved and signed by the governor commits significant funds to athletic infrastructure improvements at URI. The school will be getting $65.8 million to renovate the stands at Meade Stadium, which hosts the university’s football and lacrosse programs on campus, the Slade track and field that is more than 30 years old and unusable for competition and other sports complexes on campus needing repairs.

URI’s sports fields getting financial boost, but more work needs to be done
By James Bessette (https://pbn.com/author/james-bessette/) -06/19/2023
https://pbn.com/uris-sports-fields-getting-financial-boost-but-more-work-needs-to-be-done/

rhowdyram
July 5th, 2023, 09:38 AM
Hey Rhowdyram,

Thanks for the updates - I am not from RI...but have lived there for past 8 years. What are the baseball and softball "improvements"? I have been on campus dozens of times at those facilities. Are they planning on moving the field? $10 million dollars would buy an entire new field - are they also talking new locker room/indoor area, functioning bathrooms, etc?

Thanks!

So here's a video that highlights where our facilities are deficient outside of Meade:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAlNEsv6yzw&t=1s

There are no formal plans for what any of these facilities will look like once we're done renovations. I image the baseball and softball fields will remain where they are but everything around them will be redone.

For baseball we were one of the first northeastern schools I think to have field turf instead of grass and that was a huge advantage for us. At one point Boston College even played a home series against Florida State at URI because their field was wrecked after bad weather and our field was in perfect shape due to the field turf. Now that's kind of standard for schools up here and our turf has reached the end of its life cycle and needs to be replaced. So replace the field turf, improve seating, improve the press box, add lights probably, then restrooms and concessions.

For softball, we just redid the field back in May 2021, so probably just improved seating with restrooms and concessions and a new press box.

rhowdyram
July 5th, 2023, 09:43 AM
As TJT noted, it looks like the state gave us $33.6 million for Meade improvements and we will need to raise $8.4 million to finish the project.

We will play in Meade as is this season and next, then the renovation will begin shortly after the 2024 season ends. Sounds like it could take another two years once the project starts to finally have the renovated Meade online. Plans are still pretty sparse at this time, but it's definitely happening and it seems like we should have pretty much a new stadium for the 2027 season.

"However, getting planning and construction documents will take “at least a year” to get together, Bjorn said. Best case scenario, Bjorn says football and lacrosse will play at Meade next academic year and then football plays in the fall of 2024, with construction starting soon after.

“We may have to figure out what we’re doing [for playing football and lacrosse] the following couple of years as construction is going on,” Bjorn said. “But that would be our plan.”

caribbeanhen
July 5th, 2023, 10:05 AM
Delaware fans can certainly understand the struggles of being in a small state and not having the state as an option for fundraising of athletic facilities. Several years ago the $65M Whitney Athletic Center was built with private donations and a $25M. match from UD.

There is a plan in place for a new $85M football practice facility, locker rooms and enhanced North End Zone but fundraising has hit a snag without a proper exit plan from the CAA.

Henny, are you saying moving to FBS has broad support from some of the deep pocketed UD alumni?

It will be interesting too see what kind of plan they come up with considering no conference to jump too right now

ST_Lawson
July 5th, 2023, 10:08 AM

Wait...you guys are getting money from the state towards athletics facility improvements?

rhowdyram
July 5th, 2023, 10:50 AM
Yes, surprisingly. Honestly not sure how our President and AD pulled it off, but we're getting $65.8 million towards the $82.3 million needed to repair our athletic facilities. We've been underfunded for a couple of decades now across the board, it seems like we finally have people in charge that recognize that and threw some money towards athletics as an apology. Hey, I'll take it!

ST_Lawson
July 5th, 2023, 11:20 PM
Yes, surprisingly. Honestly not sure how our President and AD pulled it off, but we're getting $65.8 million towards the $82.3 million needed to repair our athletic facilities. We've been underfunded for a couple of decades now across the board, it seems like we finally have people in charge that recognize that and threw some money towards athletics as an apology. Hey, I'll take it!

Congrats you lucky bastards.

rhowdyram
September 22nd, 2023, 08:49 AM
Thank you. The second design reminds me of UNH's redesign from a few years ago now, and that's as good a place as any to start. Rumor is we will be getting a video board this summer.

I truly think URI is a sleeping giant in football, but I'm biased. We've been easy to recruit against because of the persistent rumors of us doing away with football and the state of our facilities. This renovation would end the rumors of football's demise and having substandard facilities. With the right stadium, a great location, beautiful campus, and some relatively high level college basketball I think we can become an attractive destination for players.

So I figured when work wasn't being done this summer that the rumored video board was being put off and would be part of the larger renovation starting after the 2024 season, but this tweet makes me think it's being installed now. I can't think of any other work that would be happening in that area.

https://x.com/WillLauder2/status/1705002371972026485?s=20

rhowdyram
November 7th, 2023, 02:42 PM
What a difference two weeks makes! During our 10/28 game vs. New Hampshire all time was kept on the field because our old scoreboard crapped out. Since then we've removed that scoreboard, finished work on our new $1 million video board, and that will be good to go for our game Saturday vs. North Carolina A&T.

The Boogie Down
November 7th, 2023, 06:31 PM
.....ISN'T THIS BUILDIN'.....UP BAH DUH HOLLYWOOD SIGN.........IN L.A.........xconfusedx..... BRAWK!

Ya mean the Hollywood Bowl? I like this side of Meade but it ain't no Hollywood Bowl!

MR. CHICKEN
November 8th, 2023, 07:32 AM
Ya mean the Hollywood Bowl? I like this side of Meade but it ain't no Hollywood Bowl!

.......NO.....DUH.....GRIFFITH OBSERVATORY...............BRAWK!

Pards Rule
November 9th, 2023, 09:56 AM
I want to see Leopards play in North Kingstown RI

Bill
November 10th, 2023, 01:54 PM
I want to see Leopards play in North Kingstown RI

As a (now) Rhode Islander, where in NK do you expect that game to take place? Perry Stadium at North Kingstown HS?xlolx

The field is in Kingston... Only took me like a year to figure it all out!

rhowdyram
November 10th, 2023, 03:55 PM
As a (now) Rhode Islander, where in NK do you expect that game to take place? Perry Stadium at North Kingstown HS?xlolx

The field is in Kingston... Only took me like a year to figure it all out!

Yes, URI is located in Kingston which is a village that's part of South Kingstown. I assure you it totally makes sense...

Pards Rule
November 11th, 2023, 08:21 AM
Yes, URI is located in Kingston which is a village that's part of South Kingstown. I assure you it totally makes sense...

Rhowdy - I was partially right then! South Kingston, ok. Eckerds NE office was in one of the towns there too. I interviewed for a RE mgr job in Spring 2005 and went up there. I got the job offer BUT decided to stick with Maaco as RE Mgr for whole East Coast as more plane travel (which I love) with Maaco vs a truncated territory with Eckerd, most if not all by car.

Pards Rule
November 11th, 2023, 08:25 AM
Going further on the Maaco connection, Im good at intertwining, my boss at Maaco one Lou Mancuso, rip in 2020 in Westchester County NY - I went to funeral in late Feb right before Covid hit news - his son was an offensive lineman for the Rams. Mancuso obviously last name but cant recall first. I did see him at funeral. It might be Lou too. Thanks Rhowdy saw it! :)

Pards Rule
November 11th, 2023, 08:33 AM
Heres something bizarre. I typed in Lafayette vs Rhode Island football history to see last time we played the Rams, and was directed to a LC site, ok, but Rams arent listed ar all BUT on page 2 of the 3 pages has us BEATING OURSELVES 31-24 in 2009...Um, I guess the proverbail we beat ourselves actually has merit?! AND even more bizarrely has us losing to NC State A&T in 2011 which I know we have never played in my following Pard ball for 44 years! And this is a LC site!

rhowdyram
November 22nd, 2023, 11:37 AM
Sorry for the late response, we're on to basketball season around here. The URI record book lists three games between Lafayette and Rhode Island:

SEPT. 11, 1982 AWAY W, 20-10
SEPT. 8, 1984 HOME W, 31-10
OCT. 26, 1985 HOME (HC) W, 41-19

We have a Chris Mancuso that played here from 2008-11.

According to wikipedia Eckerd was in Warwick, which is about 35-40 minutes from campus.

As for Meade Stadium, it's come out that we're looking at a capacity of 6000 when renovations are done. The question is, is that 6000 total, meaning the new East Stands will seat about 4000, or is that 6000 capacity for the new East stands and we'll be looking at about 8000 total. Either way, that seems low. I was hoping we'd be going a bit bigger.