PDA

View Full Version : Stowers replacement-let's update the list!

Brad82
November 20th, 2007, 06:48 PM
wish list
Mark Whipple
Darren Rizzi
Larry Coker
Tom Masella
Chuck Priorie
Kerwin Bell
Pete Adrian
Marty Fine
Dave Clawson
Chip Kelley
Dan Mullen

Anyone else? Don't be surprised if coach comes from this pool.

dgreco
November 20th, 2007, 07:02 PM
wish list
Mark Whipple
Darren Rizzi
Larry Coker
Tom Masella
Chuck Priorie
Kerwin Bell
Pete Adrian
Marty Fine
Dave Clawson
Chip Kelley
Dan Mullen

I really think Marty Fine is a serious candidate.
Also, how about Jim Murphy, he was the coach at Merrimack, had some great recruiting and resigned form the job. He is actively looking and might be a good fit down in Kingston.

Brad82
November 20th, 2007, 07:03 PM
yes-will add him.
Need to get list in this week.
Things moving fast.

dgreco
November 20th, 2007, 07:09 PM
yes-will add him.
Need to get list in this week.
Things moving fast.

what do you mean "get list in this week" ?

I am trying to think of other coaches but those two popped out. If you look at another Division II coach Tilley from Stonehill, took a 1-10 team last year and with the same players brought them up to 6-4 in one season. Very impressive as a coach, money could make him jump.

Umass74
November 20th, 2007, 07:10 PM
I doubt if Whipple or Masella will be in the market for the Head Coaching job at Rhode Island.

Whipple wants a BCS job. Masella, is a former New York firefighter who likes the Northeast urban environment. I think he will stay happy at Fordham, unless the school decides to cut his resources.

Unless Rhody is prepared to make their job one of the most lucrative in FCS, I doubt that either of those two names would even think about it.

JoltinJoe
November 20th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Dead end job. Losing tradition. Little support.

What makes you think any of the supposed candidates would be interested in the URI job? All have better gigs going on right now.

URI needs to find some young coaching phenom with energy and vision, and give him his first job. I just don't see an established coach jumping at the chance to coach at URI unless you drown him with money.

dgreco
November 20th, 2007, 07:15 PM
mess.

dgreco
November 20th, 2007, 07:18 PM
I doubt if Whipple or Masella will be in the market for the Head Coaching job at Rhode Island.

Whipple wants a BCS job. Masella, is a former New York firefighter who likes the Northeast urban environment. I think he will stay happy at Fordham, unless the school decides to cut his resources.

Unless Rhody is prepared to make their job one of the most lucrative in FCS, I doubt that either of those two names would even think about it.

I know Stowers was making around 155,000 a year. What would be a "great" deal and what is "average" for FCS salaries? Thanks.

Brad82
November 20th, 2007, 07:22 PM
What is Tilley's first name?

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 20th, 2007, 07:30 PM
wish list
Mark Whipple
Darren Rizzi
Larry Coker
Tom Masella
Chuck Priorie
Kerwin Bell
Pete Adrian
Marty Fine
Dave Clawson
Chip Kelley
Dan Mullen

When you offer Coach Kelly the job be sure to spell his name right.

Cleets
November 20th, 2007, 07:30 PM
wish list
Mark Whipple
Darren Rizzi
Larry Coker
Tom Masella
Chuck Priorie
Kerwin Bell
Pete Adrian
Marty Fine
Dave Clawson
Chip Kelley
Dan Mullen

Bobby Hauk is leaving Montana after the play-offs....

dgreco
November 20th, 2007, 07:33 PM
What is Tilley's first name?
It is Robert Talley, sorry for the misspelling.

Brad82
November 20th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Where is Hauck going?
Don't worry about spelling coaches names correctly.

Cleets
November 20th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Where is Hauck going?
Don't worry about spelling coaches names correctly.

xlolx

have no idea... I just keep hearing that he's entertaining offers

Fordham
November 20th, 2007, 09:47 PM
wish list
Mark Whipple
Darren Rizzi
Larry Coker
Tom Masella
Chuck Priorie
Kerwin Bell
Pete Adrian
Marty Fine
Dave Clawson
Chip Kelley
Dan Mullen

how is the URI job a bump up from Richmond for Clawson?

VT Wildcat Fan53
November 20th, 2007, 09:53 PM
wish list
Mark Whipple
Darren Rizzi
Larry Coker
Tom Masella
Chuck Priorie
Kerwin Bell
Pete Adrian
Marty Fine
Dave Clawson
Chip Kelley
Dan Mullen

No way Mark Whipple will take a 1-AA job again. Masella would probably have to take a pay cut. Patriot and Ivy teams may not have the same calibre of players, but their pay far outstrips any of the New England CAA jobs. I am sure that Chip Kelly would have to take a big paycut, as well. Pete Adrian was a longtime URI assistant way back when. He might be a candidate. Also, don't forget New England native JIMMY REID. He might just be the # 1 candidate xthumbsupx

MR. CHICKEN
November 21st, 2007, 05:31 AM
JIM REID...EGG-ZACKLY.......AH THINX DAT OL' JIM WOULD LOVE....TA GET BACK TA DUH CAA...........HE'D BE UH PERFECT FIT...TA RECRUIT....DUH LOBSTAAH BELT..........AN' WOULD INSTILL SOME DEFENSE.......TA UH BASKETBALL ON GRASS....RUNAWAY LEAGUE!

Brad82
November 21st, 2007, 06:01 AM
I will put Jim's name on list.

Tribe4SF
November 21st, 2007, 06:30 AM
Clawson is obviously up to the challenge of turning an FCS program around. I have no idea what he makes at Richmond, but if 155K is accurate for Stowers, that's pretty good for FCS. My guess is he will be on some short lists for FBS jobs this year. UR has deep pockets, and I would guess they will try to keep him.

Reid is also very capable, and if the situation at URI is improving, he could be a good fit.

KAUMASS
November 21st, 2007, 07:27 AM
I will put Jim's name on list.

Reid was the AD's(Thorr Bjorn) coach at UMass. There is a UMass connection there. However, Reid has roots now in the south after being at Richmond and VMI for a number of years. If he wants out of VMI, URI may be a good fit.

Reid is a good recruiter and a tough SOB as a coach. Great mentor. May be what URI needs. To tell you what kind of guy Reid is, if he ever needed any help from me,(except football issues, and I don't have any eligibility left or cartiledge in my knee, so I couldn't suit up for VMI) he could call me at 3 a.m. and I would be there as fast as I could. He was my coach over 18 years ago.

Good luck with the search.

Dukie95
November 21st, 2007, 07:50 AM
Yeah, I'm not sure Clawson's next job is at this level. He's going to go places in his career.

dgreco
November 21st, 2007, 07:52 AM
Clawson is obviously up to the challenge of turning an FCS program around. I have no idea what he makes at Richmond, but if 155K is accurate for Stowers, that's pretty good for FCS. My guess is he will be on some short lists for FBS jobs this year. UR has deep pockets, and I would guess they will try to keep him.

Reid is also very capable, and if the situation at URI is improving, he could be a good fit.
http://www.projo.com/sports/mikeszostak/sp_fbc_stowers20_11-20-07_2V7UBI4_v9.2549184.html

once again not sure how accurate it is but his base salary is 155,000 according to the article.

Cobblestone
November 21st, 2007, 08:14 AM
Brad, please add the name of Chuck Martin to the list I already sent you; sorry I left him out. I think a young D-II coach is the way we should go, seems logical at least. I'd love to have Marty Fine but I think with Bryant going to the FCS in a few seasons, that he will be content to stay at Bryant.

Brad82
November 21st, 2007, 08:47 AM
OK-Where is Chuck Martin coach?
Mike Shula?

Cobblestone
November 21st, 2007, 08:49 AM
Mike Shula?

Grand Valley State. They are the defending D-II National Champions.

Cobblestone
November 21st, 2007, 08:50 AM
Mike Shula?

http://gvsulakers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/martin_chuck00.html

Tribe4SF
November 21st, 2007, 09:01 AM
Reid was the AD's(Thorr Bjorn) coach at UMass. There is a UMass connection there. However, Reid has roots now in the south after being at Richmond and VMI for a number of years. If he wants out of VMI, URI may be a good fit.

Reid is a good recruiter and a tough SOB as a coach. Great mentor. May be what URI needs. To tell you what kind of guy Reid is, if he ever needed any help from me,(except football issues, and I don't have any eligibility left or cartiledge in my knee, so I couldn't suit up for VMI) he could call me at 3 a.m. and I would be there as fast as I could. He was my coach over 18 years ago.
Good luck with the search.

Everyone who has known him feels the same way. He defines the words friendship, committment and class.xthumbsupx

santosballnewhampshire
November 21st, 2007, 09:01 AM
what about jack bicknell jr old coach at Louisiana tech now at BC as a line coach

I know that chip kelley would not be intrested at all if dixon stayed healthy he could of coached a walter payton and heisman back to back

lastly I think whipple would be cool if he would be willing to coach there

dgreco
November 21st, 2007, 09:09 AM
Brad, please add the name of Chuck Martin to the list I already sent you; sorry I left him out. I think a young D-II coach is the way we should go, seems logical at least. I'd love to have Marty Fine but I think with Bryant going to the FCS in a few seasons, that he will be content to stay at Bryant.
I do not know what Bryant pays Marty Fine, but if URI is offering 155,000 I can see him making a jump possibly. It is not like URI is much of a move. I just hope coach Fine doesn't move away from Bryant, he has done a lot with recruiting and coaching at Bryant.

That is a good move and maybe a nice jump for him. Much like the last GV coach who is at Cincy and might get offered the UMichigan Job. He started at Cen. Mich and then to Cincy.

RAMS83
November 21st, 2007, 09:09 AM
Pete Lembo - Elon (former Lehigh HC) -- unlikely but money talks

Joe Moorhead - OC Akron Zips -- Fordham QB '96

http://www.gozips.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=47833&SPID=4319&DB_OEM_ID=10800&ATCLID=526103&Q_SEASON=2007

Brad82
November 21st, 2007, 09:41 AM
will add Bicknell Jr.,Lembo and Moor head to list.

MplsBison
November 21st, 2007, 10:24 AM

Brian Kelly used to coach at GVSU.

After resurrecting Central Michigan he's doing pretty good things at Cincinnati this season.

dgreco
November 21st, 2007, 10:33 AM
Brian Kelly used to coach at GVSU.

After resurrecting Central Michigan he's doing pretty good things at Cincinnati this season.

there is word he may get teh Michigan job. Especially since Miles is happy with LSU.

MplsBison
November 21st, 2007, 10:49 AM
That would be amazing.

Going from DII powerhouse to Michigan in what, 5 years?

gophoenix
November 21st, 2007, 12:52 PM

http://www.gozips.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=47833&SPID=4319&DB_OEM_ID=10800&ATCLID=526103&Q_SEASON=2007

Lembo is currently the second highest paid base salary coach in the SoCon.

How much money are they throwing around???

ElonPride
November 21st, 2007, 01:36 PM

Seriously, Why would Lembo leave to go and rebuild another program? Common sense would tell you that he will stay put and wait for the call from an FBS school.

Sir William
November 21st, 2007, 02:32 PM
I hear Charlie Weiss may be interested in the URI job. :D

santosballnewhampshire
November 21st, 2007, 02:35 PM
wish list
Mark Whipple
Darren Rizzi
Larry Coker
Tom Masella
Chuck Priorie
Kerwin Bell
Pete Adrian
Marty Fine
Dave Clawson
Chip Kelley
Dan Mullen

Not to disrepect URI, but I know a couple of the coaches on that list, and I dont think guys like that would want the job. I don't think Dave Clawson would get our of UR to come to a much worse team in the conference. Also, Chip Kelley leaving Orgeon for Rhode Island??? And Mark Whipple, I'm pretty sure he didnt leave UMASS, only to come back in a couple of years to get a worse job.

Eagles Soar
November 21st, 2007, 03:19 PM
How about another Georgia Southern guy...Mike Sewak? Option coach that could walk in and fans wouldn't have to go through a change in offense. I believe he is still lookoing. xlolx

TimPatrick
November 21st, 2007, 04:15 PM
Here are a couple of names: Brown's asst head coach Kelleher; Former Curry head coach Steve Nelson; Jim Murphy from Merrimack. Fine from Bryant; Reid from VMI; Jack Bicknell jr now of BC ;Former Green Bay Packer and Holy Cross coach Sherman

Brad82
November 21st, 2007, 04:52 PM
I have submited listof 20 solid names. I bet at least half are interested.
All we need is one great one! I forgot Hauk (?) from Montana- should I?

dgreco
November 21st, 2007, 05:00 PM
That would be amazing.

Going from DII powerhouse to Michigan in what, 5 years?
It is just about getting lucky sometimes, and luck is on his side. I think he is a good coach, but definitely some luck comes with the skill.

dgreco
November 21st, 2007, 05:02 PM
I would take that guy all day 38 and 3. he knows how to win, hell the team he has now could beat alot of 1AA teams.
GV is transfer university, they are really an impressive school. I would say 15 years they move up and are a powerhouse, they are to new and do not have enough alumni for donations and support to really support good DI programs right now.

WildCat In The Hat
November 21st, 2007, 06:34 PM
wish list
Mark Whipple
Darren Rizzi
Larry Coker
Tom Masella
Chuck Priorie
Kerwin Bell
Pete Adrian
Marty Fine
Dave Clawson
Chip Kelley
Dan Mullen

Don't be surprised if the Offensive Coordinator on the team, Harold Nichols gets the position. I think you can also scratch Chip Kelly off the list, his next step is the pros and it won't take long.

xpeacex

Cobblestone
November 21st, 2007, 06:49 PM
I have submited listof 20 solid names. I bet at least half are interested.
All we need is one great one! I forgot Hauk (?) from Montana- should I?

I sure hope Chuck Martin was on that list.

Syntax Error
November 21st, 2007, 06:56 PM
Mike Sewak

dgreco
November 21st, 2007, 07:41 PM
How long do you think it takes for URI to get a coach in place? They are going to need one with recruiting getting active no? Also, how hard do they pursue these coaches that are in the playoffs or during the playoffs? Do coaches lose jobs after the playoffs? or leave places? Just some questions go around in my head.

MR. CHICKEN
November 21st, 2007, 08:10 PM
Mike Sewak
DUH TRIPLE O DON'T WORK IN DUH CAA.......YA GOTTAH HAVE DEM FLORIDA/GEORGIA CATS......TA RUN IT RIGHT!

Brad82
November 22nd, 2007, 07:26 AM
the list was entered and well received.
Chuck Martin was on it.
I will bet any one (first) individual $100 donation to respective FB support club that Harold Nichols does not get the job.
I would look for the process to move quickly. I would guess sometime mid-Dec. for an announcement.

Sam Adams
November 22nd, 2007, 07:32 AM
Kevin Morris OC at Massachusetts and Keith Dudzinski DC at Massachusetts are probably on the list since they have been successful and Thor knows them.

Brad82
November 22nd, 2007, 09:54 AM
will you take the $100 bet?

Ram Ball
November 23rd, 2007, 12:41 PM
I agree that Nichols will not get the job.

Tilldog40
November 23rd, 2007, 01:23 PM
Jim Murphy will be coaching the Huskies next year if he goes anywhere. Do you guys want Rocky Hagar, he is really great at blowing games.

Cobblestone
November 23rd, 2007, 02:06 PM
Jim Murphy will be coaching the Huskies next year if he goes anywhere. Do you guys want Rocky Hagar, he is really great at blowing games.

No thanks. Nor do we want Stowers JR. oops! I mean Nichols.

mainejeff
November 23rd, 2007, 02:07 PM
Jack Cosgrove.

Cobblestone
November 23rd, 2007, 02:09 PM
Jack Cosgrove.

Maine 35 URI 0. Possibly. At least we could beat ourselves.

dgreco
November 23rd, 2007, 02:21 PM
How long do you think we wait til we have an announcement?

Brad82
November 23rd, 2007, 03:25 PM
Soon.
On ESPN last night,they said that there are only 3 real recruiting weeks in Jan.,with signing day 2-3/4. So,I would bet 12/15 apprx..

dgreco
November 23rd, 2007, 03:52 PM
Soon.
On ESPN last night,they said that there are only 3 real recruiting weeks in Jan.,with signing day 2-3/4. So,I would bet 12/15 apprx..

I was thinking so because of recruiting this could either help or hurt.. a new guy can work in both ways.

mainejeff
November 23rd, 2007, 04:00 PM
Maine 35 URI 0. Possibly. At least we could beat ourselves.

And that's what Maine has been doing during the Cosgove Era! xnodx xthumbsupx

WildCat In The Hat
November 23rd, 2007, 04:17 PM
will you take the $100 bet?

Yo B-Rad-give me your one pick (instead of 20) and I'll take your bet. My pick is Nicholls-whose your pick? Although, I must say you are quite the risk taker, putting $100 up against one particular name.

dgreco
November 23rd, 2007, 04:24 PM
I doubt it will be fine, but it would be a nice surprise for the URI fans, but I really think the Merrimack coach is a reall possibility, Jim Murphy could be a good fit at URI.

Brad82
November 23rd, 2007, 04:37 PM
All I am saying is Nichols will not get the job.
I will send UNH $100 if you are right.
You send Rhody $25 if does not-OK?

Uncle Buck
November 23rd, 2007, 07:06 PM
Just a name that i will throw out there, Mike McCarty the WR coach at Arkansas State. I know it's out of left field, but i thought when he was at Hofstra he was unbelievably creative. He did great by us and also excelled at Stony Brook. I believe he ultimately left Long Island because of cost of living and low pay. He's probably wasting away at Ark State. In the one year i played for him (1994), he was a great motivator and the team really responded to him. Just a thought.

dgreco
November 27th, 2007, 02:46 PM
http://www.projo.com/college/content/sp_collead27_11-27-07_PA81658_v13.26fe0b4.html

they hope to have a coach by the end of december. They also talk about Whipple and a few other people.

Brad82
November 27th, 2007, 06:15 PM
I surmise Whipple,Rizzi,Masella and UMASS OC & DC are @ top.

dgreco
November 27th, 2007, 06:23 PM
I surmise Whipple,Rizzi,Masella and UMASS OC & DC are @ top.

I think a lot of guys will have a hard time turning down the 150,000 they are offering. Especially a guy already in the FCS ranks or even teh DII ranks.

Brad82
November 27th, 2007, 07:46 PM
agreed,the whole package is worth close to $200k.
Not chump change.

Maverick
November 27th, 2007, 08:13 PM
The total package may be 200K (not sure how much is guaranteed and how much is performance) but based on the incomes in NE that may not be that much when you look at how much it will cost to live up there! xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

Eight Legger
November 27th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Might as well add Bill Belichick and Bill Cowher to your wish list while you are wishing for impossibilities....

Cobblestone
November 27th, 2007, 09:00 PM
I say no way we get Whipple. We had a chance once but took Floyd Keith instead. I agree with an earlier poster who said Whipple is most likely headed to Marshall.

I'll stick with my choice of Chuck Martin, HC at D-II Grand Valley State. I think a young D-II coach with playoff experience (2 National Championships) is the most logical avenue of approach for us. It'd be a step up for Martin, who I'm sure will end up moving up to the FCS ranks anyway. If GVSU doesn't move up to FCS then some team from the FCS will grab this guy, might as well be URI.

Right now GVSU is in the D-II playoffs. If Martin wins another National Championship, it'll be his third in 5 years as HC. This guy will be a hot commodity and some FCS team will be looking to grab him so URI might have some competition for this guy.

dgreco
November 27th, 2007, 09:37 PM
I say no way we get Whipple. We had a chance once but took Floyd Keith instead. I agree with an earlier poster who said Whipple is most likely headed to Marshall.

I'll stick with my choice of Chuck Martin, HC at D-II Grand Valley State. I think a young D-II coach with playoff experience (2 National Championships) is the most logical avenue of approach for us. It'd be a step up for Martin, who I'm sure will end up moving up to the FCS ranks anyway. If GVSU doesn't move up to FCS then some team from the FCS will grab this guy, might as well be URI.

Right now GVSU is in the D-II playoffs. If Martin wins another National Championship, it'll be his third in 5 years as HC. This guy will be a hot commodity and some FCS team will be looking to grab him so URI might have some competition for this guy.

If they get Martin it is the best thing URI has done in years. They have made a lot of steps backwards for the football program when they had chances to go forward. If they get him, I am sure they become an instant contender and with recruiting they will grow to be a consitantly strong team.

I would love to attend some URI games if they bring him in. when Kelly wen to Central Mich, he turned them around, and now at Cincy he has turned them around before people could even notice. I think Martin will have the same effect.

Brad82
November 28th, 2007, 04:32 AM
I will push Martin.

Brad82
November 28th, 2007, 06:21 AM
Mike Siravo,Jeff Macinerney and larry Kelser are on list also.

Cobblestone
November 28th, 2007, 08:06 AM
Mike Siravo,Jeff Macinerney and larry Kelser are on list also.

xnonox

Please for the love of GOD, scratch this guy off. He sucked as a DC, I see no reason for him or Nichols to get the job. We'd be going backwards with either of these guys.

I have conveyed my feelings to Thorr Bjorn about Martin.

Kosty
November 28th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Kevin Morris OC at Massachusetts

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take Morris and his assinine half back passes at inopportune times!!!!

And you guys are seriously on something if Whipple's name was even mentioned. He won a NC at UMass, won a Super Bowl with the Steelers and you think he's going to come back to FCS to take on a rebuilding effort??? And for only $150,000????? Holy cow.

Brad82
November 28th, 2007, 04:36 PM
I did not put Macinerney's name in.
I swear you guys can't read,it is a wish list.
We got Jim Harrick,Whipple is worth a phone call.

Cobblestone
November 28th, 2007, 09:32 PM
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take Morris and his assinine half back passes at inopportune times!!!!
And you guys are seriously on something if Whipple's name was even mentioned. He won a NC at UMass, won a Super Bowl with the Steelers and you think he's going to come back to FCS to take on a rebuilding effort??? And for only $150,000????? Holy cow.

xlolx

No thanks. I got really tired of watching Stowers call a pitch into the backfield when we were backed up on our own 1 yard line. This is why I don't want Nichols, we'd be sure to see more of the same.

As for Whipple. My point was that we once had a chance to get him, that is a FACT. He applied for the job when he was at Brown and URI made the biggest mistake in their history of football by turning him down and hiring Floyd Keith. That is why I mentioned him.

As much as I would like to see it, I know he's not coming through the door. Martin is a much more logical choice.

Maroon&White
November 28th, 2007, 10:08 PM
As for Whipple. My point was that we once had a chance to get him, that is a FACT. He applied for the job when he was at Brown and URI made the biggest mistake in their history of football by turning him down and hiring Floyd Keith. That is why I mentioned him.

How many years ago was that?

Fordham
November 28th, 2007, 10:25 PM
I swear you guys can't read,it is a wish list.

http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2005/08/22/PH2005082201311.jpg

Brad82
November 29th, 2007, 05:35 AM
around 93-94 when Whipple wanted job. He was at New Haven. A classic mistake by Rhody. Whipple wanted BC job,last year.

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 29th, 2007, 06:35 AM
What is the time frame to make this hire?

Is it safe to assume that all recruiting is on hold right now?

pafootball79
November 29th, 2007, 07:51 AM
While we're on the topic of hc's does anyone think clawson will be around next year at UR?

JoltinJoe
November 29th, 2007, 08:01 AM
While we're on the topic of hc's does anyone think clawson will be around next year at UR?

Clawson has a pretty sweet deal at UR. I don't know how much he's making at UR. But Clawson was compensated well at Fordham and UR bettered the financial terms of what he already had.

My guess is Clawson is only interested in BCS jobs at this point, and maybe would take offensive coordinator at a real top program. Clawson is in a great position and can afford to be very selective about what he does next.

He'll go to Duke, I'd guess, if it is offered to him.

dgreco
November 29th, 2007, 08:07 AM
What is the time frame to make this hire?

Is it safe to assume that all recruiting is on hold right now?

In the projo article they said they hope to have the hire before the end of December.

Ram Ball
December 2nd, 2007, 06:02 PM
Anything new going on?

Brad82
December 3rd, 2007, 09:35 AM
Just rumors.

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 3rd, 2007, 11:14 AM
I wonder why Jim Reid of VMI is not a mentioned candidate? Maybe the URI AD (former UMass guy) has some history with JR. I'd hire him (Reid) in a second if he was interested. He's brilliant with character to spare, ....

Brad82
December 3rd, 2007, 02:28 PM
Reid is list.
I think he was Thorr's college coach.

Brad82
December 3rd, 2007, 02:28 PM
Jim Reid is on list-sorry.

dgreco
December 3rd, 2007, 03:18 PM
I can't understand why they are waiting til the end of Dec. I feel like they need to get this done soon.

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 3rd, 2007, 10:58 PM
Here's a great one for you: Peter Vaas. Mass native, HC grad in early 70's, got his start at Allegheney & UNH back in mid '70's. Great QB Coach and OC. Since then, HC at Allegheney, ND QB Coach under Holtz, HC at Holy Cross, 1 year with Alouettes in CFL, about 10 years in NFL-Europe, first with Jack Bicknell, then HC for two different franchises, then back to Notre Dame as QB Coach under Charlie Weiss. After Brady Quinn finished 2nd in Heisman and won the Maxwell Award last year, egomaniac Weiss fired him for getting too much credit for the former's successes. Peter, unwilling to stay out of the game for a year, took a job to help turn around Duke this fall, but didn't have the players or the time.

He's knowledgeable, connected, smart, classy, great recruiter, and can lead. Cobblestone, give Thor a call!

Cobblestone
December 4th, 2007, 07:21 AM
I can't understand why they are waiting til the end of Dec. I feel like they need to get this done soon.

They may have their eyes on a coach at D-II who is currently in the playoffs or perhaps a coordinator whose team is currently in the FCS playoffs. I think NCAA regulations would prevent them from talking to any member of a coaching staff of a playoff team until the playoffs end or that team is eliminated.

Cobblestone
December 4th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Here's a great one for you: Peter Vaas. Mass native, HC grad in early 70's, got his start at Allegheney & UNH back in mid '70's. Great QB Coach and OC. Since then, HC at Allegheney, ND QB Coach under Holtz, HC at Holy Cross, 1 year with Alouettes in CFL, about 10 years in NFL-Europe, first with Jack Bicknell, then HC for two different franchises, then back to Notre Dame as QB Coach under Charlie Weiss. After Brady Quinn finished 2nd in Heisman and won the Maxwell Award last year, egomaniac Weiss fired him for getting too much credit for the former's successes. Peter, unwilling to stay out of the game for a year, took a job to help turn around Duke this fall, but didn't have the players or the time.

He's knowledgeable, connected, smart, classy, great recruiter, and can lead. Cobblestone, give Thor a call!

Thanks for the lead, I'll look into him some more.

Brad82
December 4th, 2007, 06:35 PM
They are trying to wrap up quickly.
Cobble is right,some of the candidates are still playing and others literally just finished. Regardless of NCAA regs.,this hardly makes it expedient.

Ram Ball
December 8th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Since whoever they hire will be a state employee, I think they are also bound by certain criteria that slows down the hiring process. That said, I hope a decision is made soon.