PDA

View Full Version : DSU Band

Rob Iola
November 20th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere or in the wrong forum, but what's DSU's band like?

HIU 93
November 20th, 2007, 12:02 PM
They're pretty decent this year.

andy7171
November 20th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere or in the wrong forum, but what's DSU's band like?

Like every other MEAC or SWAC band...AWESOME.xthumbsupx

GannonFan
November 20th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Is the DSU band coming on Friday???? I haven't seen any confirmation of that. It'd be nice to get a visiting band to come to the Tub again - only UMass in the CAA brings their band to Newark.

HIU 93
November 20th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Is the DSU band coming on Friday???? I haven't seen any confirmation of that. It'd be nice to get a visiting band to come to the Tub again - only UMass in the CAA brings their band to Newark.

Yes, they will be there. I talked to a member of the Storm, and he said they would be attending the game.

HIU 93
November 20th, 2007, 12:16 PM

Not all.

Rob Iola
November 20th, 2007, 12:19 PM

Luv UMass's's band - also loved (dating myself here) when we played Princeton back in the '80s and they brought their "band", with their musical tribute to toxic waste (announcer: "the Blue Hens aren't the only fowl thing in Delaware...").

Looking forward to the Drum Line experience...

813Jag
November 20th, 2007, 12:27 PM
There are a few that are not so good. But you'll know them when you see them. xlolx

andy7171
November 20th, 2007, 12:32 PM
There are a few that are not so good. But you'll know them when you see them. xlolx

It's all relative to what you are used to I guess.

UMass922
November 20th, 2007, 12:35 PM

I always loved playing in Newark. It was always great when the UD band came to Amherst, too. Did a couple combined performances with them, which was awesome.

One year--I think it was 2000--we peformed in the post-game show of a UD game that UMass wasn't even in. I forget if it was because we didn't play each other that year or because we weren't able to make the scheduled game. In any case, the UD crowd is a tremendous one to perform for.

We also went to JMU once when I was there, in '97. I think the UMMB may also have gone back there at least once since I graduated. You guys should absolutely try to get the JMU band to come to your place--they're tremendous.

HIU 93
November 20th, 2007, 12:35 PM
It's all relative to what you are used to I guess.

xthumbsupx

Oldhen
November 20th, 2007, 12:37 PM
I remember back in the '80's, they called their band the 'Marching Masters'.

I was in a group with a girl who was wearing a T-shirt, and because of the - ahem - contours created by her anatomy, you couldn't read the silk screening on it clearly. Looked to me like it said "DSC Marching Hamsters" (... back before it became DSU)

I asked her about that, was quickly corrected, and blushed to my toes.

JayJ79
November 20th, 2007, 12:41 PM

sounds almost like an implied stereotype.

HIU 93
November 20th, 2007, 12:48 PM

It's not. Most people aren't used to show bands, so when they hear them, it's like "AWESOME!!!", even if they're not that good.

There are definitely some HBCU bands that are not that good, but if you are used to only hearing Darth Vader's theme 75 times a game, and you hear Cameo, Al Green, and Earth, Wind, and Fire, you are going to think the show band is "AWESOME" even if they aren't.

Stop trying to fan flames that aren't there.

UMass922
November 20th, 2007, 12:54 PM
It's not. Most people aren't used to show bands, so when they hear them, it's like "AWESOME!!!", even if they're not that good.

There are definitely some HBCU bands that are not that good, but if you are used to only hearing Darth Vader's theme 75 times a game, and you hear Cameo, Al Green, and Earth, Wind, and Fire, you are going to think the show band is "AWESOME" even if they aren't.

Well said.

bandl
November 20th, 2007, 12:56 PM

If you are looking for a band that is fun to watch and listen to, then they are pretty good.

If you are looking for a band with quality musicianship and overall good sound, then they are lacking in those categories.

andy7171
November 20th, 2007, 01:00 PM
no implication here xpeacex

Just saying of the MEAC schools I've seen and heard Del State, Morgan State and Howard and of the SWAC bands on TV, Grambling and Southern. They all blow my school outta the water.

The only REALLY good band I've seen outside of the MEAC and SWAC is D.II IUP.

GannonFan
November 20th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Yes, they will be there. I talked to a member of the Storm, and he said they would be attending the game.

Gracias - two bands in the Tub on Friday should make it even better!!!!!

GannonFan
November 20th, 2007, 01:09 PM
I always loved playing in Newark. It was always great when the UD band came to Amherst, too. Did a couple combined performances with them, which was awesome.

One year--I think it was 2000--we peformed in the post-game show of a UD game that UMass wasn't even in. I forget if it was because we didn't play each other that year or because we weren't able to make the scheduled game. In any case, the UD crowd is a tremendous one to perform for.

We also went to JMU once when I was there, in '97. I think the UMMB may also have gone back there at least once since I graduated. You guys should absolutely try to get the JMU band to come to your place--they're tremendous.

UMass always has a quality band. I think the Band Director up there is a UD alum, and UD's current band director is a UMass alum. And yeah, UMass did play postgame for a UD game that didn't even involve UMass - I think you guys were coming up from a show or something. Certainly one of the negatives of the unbalanced schedule is only getting to see UMass in Newark once every 4 years.

I have seen JMU's band several times, both down there and in Newark (they used to bring the band to Newark but they haven't in quite some time). They're good, but I always thought they were, if this is possible, too big. The sound's great, but the marching suffers - just too many people. I prefer UMass's band actually. West Chester normally brings their band to Newark as well - always a better environment with bands there. Towson brought their band in '06 - hopefully they continue to do so. Not much from anyone else, although truth be told most else don't have bands worth mentioning.

JayJ79
November 20th, 2007, 01:20 PM

Fair enough. my bad.

DSUHornet
November 20th, 2007, 01:32 PM
you guys cant be serious....the band is terrible this year from what i've heard from them. last year, we were spectacular. but when mid-way through the season, when the director went to court, the dropped off some...and this summer when they announced he wouldn't be coming back, all of the southerners that he brought up here to play left (about 25 people), that whiped out our whole style.

andy7171
November 20th, 2007, 01:38 PM
you guys cant be serious....the band is terrible this year from what i've heard from them. last year, we were spectacular. but when mid-way through the season, when the director went to court, the dropped off some...and this summer when they announced he wouldn't be coming back, all of the southerners that he brought up here to play left (about 25 people), that whiped out our whole style.

Obviously I was intending to say historically you've had a good band. Anyone who hasn't been to a Hornet game this year wouldn't know this is a down year.

I bet they're still better than Towsons.

DSUHornet
November 20th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Obviously I was intending to say historically you've had a good band. Anyone who hasn't been to a Hornet game this year wouldn't know this is a down year.

I bet they're still better than Towsons.

xlolx i wouldnt disrespect Towsons band like that. historically we have had a good band from what i know of, its just that the fall off from last year to this year is almost unreasonable. i would say thank you to anyone who hasnt seen a DSU game this year xlolx

Big Dawg
November 20th, 2007, 01:58 PM
From what I've heard from DSU THIS season, there band really ain't that good.

Now last year, DSU's band was pretty good.

andy7171
November 20th, 2007, 02:01 PM
xlolx i wouldnt disrespect Towsons band like that.
You're going to have to take a leap of faith and trust me.:D

dukesfan74
November 20th, 2007, 03:53 PM
JMU has a new director this year for the first time in 25 years. They also have a new marching instructor I think since last year. And yes, they are BIG. JMU is the only place I have ever seen a football game where the concession stand is not busy at halftime

Big Dawg
November 20th, 2007, 04:04 PM
JMU has a new director this year for the first time in 25 years. They also have a new marching instructor I think since last year. And yes, they are BIG. JMU is the only place I have ever seen a football game where the concession stand is not busy at halftime

Sounds like we need another band clips threadxnodx

mvemjsunpx
November 20th, 2007, 04:20 PM

Wait, what?

What's the story behind that?

UMass922
November 20th, 2007, 04:28 PM
UMass always has a quality band. I think the Band Director up there is a UD alum, and UD's current band director is a UMass alum.

Actually, the connection is through West Chester. UD's band director (I'm assuming it's still Heidi) was in the West Chester band when Prof. Parks was the band director there before coming to UMass. (I'm pretty sure I've got that right. It's something to do with West Chester, anyway.)

EDIT: Thanks for the compliment about our band. Greatly appreciated.

SUjagTILLiDIE
November 20th, 2007, 06:47 PM
no implication here xpeacex

Just saying of the MEAC schools I've seen and heard Del State, Morgan State and Howard and of the SWAC bands on TV, Grambling and Southern. They all blow my school outta the water.

The only REALLY good band I've seen outside of the MEAC and SWAC is D.II IUP.
I only see 1 band on that list that most HBCU fans would consider being a top tier band. Of course its SU xnodx .

SU Jag
November 20th, 2007, 10:51 PM

Not quite there are weak links. Mississippi Valley, Alcorn, and Grambling for the SWAC. DSU and Morgan in the MEAC. But if you arent use to seeing an HBCU band, then they're pretty amazing.

HIU 93
November 21st, 2007, 08:17 AM
JMU is the only place I have ever seen a football game where the concession stand is not busy at halftime

You haven't been to too many Hampton, FAMU, SCSU, JSU, or SU games huh?xlolx

SU Jag
November 21st, 2007, 09:56 AM
You haven't been to too many Hampton, FAMU, SCSU, JSU, or SU games huh?xlolx

Semms like he havent even seen the CIAA or SIAC bands either.

andy7171
November 21st, 2007, 10:06 AM
I only see 1 band on that list that most HBCU fans would consider being a top tier band. Of course its SU xnodx .
I'm a white guy living in the mid atlantic. My HBCU experiences are somewhat limited. :D

I played my high school games at Bowie State though. Does that give me any cred? xlolx

SU Jag
November 21st, 2007, 10:09 AM
I'm a white guy living in the mid atlantic. My HBCU experiences are somewhat limited. :D

I played my high school games at Bowie State though. Does that give me any cred? xlolx

LOL! Gotta get down South Andyxnodx Check out Hampton, or even SC Statexeekx xeekx