PDA

View Full Version : Can Wofford finally break the South's drought?

Ronbo
November 19th, 2007, 10:54 PM
In the playoffs at Washington Griz.

The South is 0-16 there.

Year.......Opponent.............UM....Opp
------------------------------------
1989.......Jackson State........48.....7
1994.......McNeese State.......30....28
1995......Georgia Southern......45....0
1995.......Eastern Kentucky.....48....0
1995.......Stephen F Austin......70...14
1996........Nicholls State.........48....3
1996........Troy State.............70....7
1996.....East Tennessee State..44...14
2000.....Appalachian State.......19...16
2000........Richmond................34...20
2001.....Northwestern State.....28...19
2001.....Sam Houston State......49...24
2002.....Northwestern State......45...14
2004.....Northwestern State......56....7
2004.....Sam Houston State......34...13
2006.......McNeese State..........31...6

AZGrizFan
November 19th, 2007, 10:55 PM
In a word:

Nope. xcoffeex

rob_p469
November 19th, 2007, 11:00 PM
How about..... NO

AZGrizFan
November 19th, 2007, 11:01 PM
looks a lot like the MEAC playoff record... xlolx

Squealofthepig
November 19th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Chickens and hatching and all that. This is a team that could win at the Rock, and discounting them early seems unwise.

I can see Montana winning this one - but I can also see a pumped up Wofford team taking care of business and grinding out a methodical but effective gameplan at Wa-Griz, using a clock-control offensive plan to keep the crowd out of it while scoring points. I can't remember the last first round-game in Missoula that featured as good a team as Wofford.

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
November 19th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Chickens and hatching and all that. This is a team that could win at the Rock, and discounting them early seems unwise.

I can see Montana winning this one - but I can also see a pumped up Wofford team taking care of business and grinding out a methodical but effective gameplan at Wa-Griz, using a clock-control offensive plan to keep the crowd out of it while scoring points. I can't remember the last first round-game in Missoula that featured as good a team as Wofford.

Ya had to bring that up didn't ya xnonox xsmiley_wix

proasu89
November 19th, 2007, 11:06 PM

The South is 0-16 there.

:o Nothing else close outside of our OT loss in 2000

AZGrizFan
November 19th, 2007, 11:11 PM

When put like this in black and white it truly is amazing. xeyebrowx

Squealofthepig
November 19th, 2007, 11:18 PM
When put like this in black and white it truly is amazing. xeyebrowx

It's a heck of a record, though that's at Wash-Griz, and I'm sure our friends at McNeese would comment on our wins away from Wa-Griz.

Ya had to bring that up didn't ya

Well, yeah. With the Griz being shown a serious lack of respect all year, I refuse to do the same to Wofford, the conference champs of a tough conference. I expect a heckuva game!

terrierbob
November 19th, 2007, 11:20 PM
We might as well not go. Let's tell the team to forget it and concentrate on exams and holiday partying. Screw getting crushed by the mighty Griz.

AZGrizFan
November 19th, 2007, 11:21 PM
We might as well not go. Let's tell the team to forget it and concentrate on exams and holiday partying. Screw getting crushed by the mighty Griz.

Now you're thinkin'..... xnodx xnodx xnodx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

Squealofthepig
November 19th, 2007, 11:24 PM

Sandbagger. ;) I think a lot of fans from both schools are looking forward to this game, and many Griz fans will admit it'll be the toughest game all year. Hopefully it'll be a great one (and I do hope a lot of Terrier fans are able to get to Missoula to enjoy the hospitality!)

Edit: Man, I need a Staggering Ox sammy.

mvemjsunpx
November 19th, 2007, 11:26 PM

Not quite. The Griz needed a game winning FG to beat McNeese in '94. The Cowboys came back from about a 20-point deficit before giving it up at the end.

GRZZ
November 20th, 2007, 01:01 AM

Which remains one of the more exciting finishes to a game I have ever seen in my life. xthumbsupx

grizband
November 20th, 2007, 01:06 AM
Which remains one of the more exciting finishes to a game I have ever seen in my life. xthumbsupx
That Jimmy Farris catch in double overtime is still my favorite Griz play of all-time.

GRZZ
November 20th, 2007, 01:28 AM
That Jimmy Farris catch in double overtime is still my favorite Griz play of all-time.

I still miss them playing that on the Big Screen in the old intro film. I can still hear the announcer saying "And the Grizzlies are going to Chattanooga!"

Good times.

grizband
November 20th, 2007, 01:58 AM
I still miss them playing that on the Big Screen in the old intro film. I can still hear the announcer saying "And the Grizzlies are going to Chattanooga!"

Good times.
I was a freshman that year. I too miss hearing the video before each game of that awesome play, that sent us to Chattanooga.

R.A.
November 20th, 2007, 04:25 AM
looks a lot like the MEAC playoff record... xlolx

You do realize we have playoff victories right?

GSU 25+yrFan
November 20th, 2007, 05:50 AM

The South is 0-16 there.

Be very very careful bugs, GSU had a long home playoff winning streak broken too. xnonox

tdoggs22
November 20th, 2007, 06:47 AM
mighty Grizzz???? i need to start writing that without caps., grizz!

Far from mighty.. the only relationship the Grizz, or grizz, have to that word is the fact they "might" belong on the field with Wofford, but we'll have to wait til the second half to see if they are still within voice range of the Terriers' thin but loud fan section. I can see it now... a sea of maroon uniformly marching towards the gates before the 3rd quarter begins. Sounds crazy, but dont be shocked if it happens.

When teams play mediocre regular season schedules, they are not capable of coping with superior execution. Panic, anxiety, frustration. It is common for teams to jump out of their element and do things out of character when unexpected adversity arises. grizz fans taunt the south... dont cover your uncertainty by bashing southern football. Any knowledgeable football fan knows the south fields the finest fooitball teams in the nation on a regular basis. Snow or not, this avalanche is rolling right through Missoula on its way to Chatty, and its colored black and gold!

Sam Adams
November 20th, 2007, 06:51 AM
Wofford can win the game.

james_lawfirm
November 20th, 2007, 06:58 AM

Finally! A reasonable Griz poster! Where you been?

APPride
November 20th, 2007, 07:11 AM
Let's Kick A-- Wofford! (but I am worried your off week last week will lead to a slow start...???)

BestOfBreed
November 20th, 2007, 07:12 AM
Wofford can win the game.

Wofford will win this game xnodx

th0m
November 20th, 2007, 07:19 AM

I don't know, I'd call the '94 game vs. McNeese pretty close in a 30-28 win. Still, an impressive resume nonetheless.

Tod
November 20th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Wofford will win this game xnodx

What??!! Are you kidding me?? Have you ever even seen a picture of Wa-Griz??!! :D :D :D

Of course Wofford can win this game, there's no doubt this will be a tough one, for both teams. I think it's the most evenly matched game of the first round.

And, if Wofford should win, I'll be rooting for you.

A big problem I'll have if Wofford wins this game is that many, many AGS members will say "See! I told you the Griz are over-rated"!!!

That won't be the case, of course. Wofford is damn good and we all know it.

But if UNH pulls off the upset at UNI, nobody, and I mean NOBODY, will say that UNI was over-rated.

Good luck (and by that I mean I hope you lose :D )!!!

Mountaineer#96
November 20th, 2007, 07:24 AM
With Mike Ayers and his ball control wingbone running attack, I think Montana very well could have thier hands full or even hearts broken. We see the Terriers every year, and I can say that they will show up ready to play. They play assignment football to the end. Very few penalties, they are very smart and well coached. When we played them in 2006 when we barely won 14-7 at home they began to know our offense better than our own defense. Since our plays are called at the line, these guys were observant enough to figure out what was going on. The only real knock on Wofford is that they are not the most athletic bunch, and if you can get on them fast and early they have trouble coming from behind since they don't have the best passing attack. I would not be surprised to see Wofford pull this one out, by keeping Montana's offense off the field and pounding the defense for small chunks of yards on the ground. You guys may know Mr. Johnson very well by the end.

Houndawg
November 20th, 2007, 07:31 AM

When the game's over you'll look psychic.:D

proasu89
November 20th, 2007, 07:33 AM
Not quite. The Griz needed a game winning FG to beat McNeese in '94. The Cowboys came back from about a 20-point deficit before giving it up at the end.

My apologies to McNeese. Missed that one. As to 2000, I was only listening, so therefore I don't have the lingering image of that catch stuck in my headxbangx

HIU 93
November 20th, 2007, 07:37 AM

He gets a hair across his arse about the MEAC every now and then. He fantasizes about sisters, but once he realizes he has no game and can never pull a MEAC sister- he loses it.xlolx

It's all good. He's harmless.xlolx

Casey_Orourke
November 20th, 2007, 07:50 AM
With Mike Ayers and his ball control wingbone running attack, I think Montana very well could have thier hands full or even hearts broken. We see the Terriers every year, and I can say that they will show up ready to play. They play assignment football to the end. Very few penalties, they are very smart and well coached. When we played them in 2006 when we barely won 14-7 at home they began to know our offense better than our own defense. Since our plays are called at the line, these guys were observant enough to figure out what was going on. The only real knock on Wofford is that they are not the most athletic bunch, and if you can get on them fast and early they have trouble coming from behind since they don't have the best passing attack. I would not be surprised to see Wofford pull this one out, by keeping Montana's offense off the field and pounding the defense for small chunks of yards on the ground. You guys may know Mr. Johnson very well by the end.

I think Wofford could be similar to the San Antonio Spurs.

As many sports pundits have said many times last year, collectively the Spurs did not have the best players in the league, but they definately had the best team in the league, and that is why they were the NBA champs.

The same will be true here. it won't be the team with the best players, but rather the players that can come together and be the best team.

Who wins???? That is why we play the game on the field and not the forums.

ChickenMan
November 20th, 2007, 07:54 AM

The South is 0-16 there.

No drought for the CAA.. they are 2-2.. in Missoula come playoff time.. wins by UD and UMass.. loses by Richmond and UNH... ;)

Dukie95
November 20th, 2007, 08:09 AM
No drought for the CAA.. they are 2-2.. in Missoula come playoff time.. wins by UD and UMass.. loses by Richmond and UNH... ;)

He said "South", so only the Richmond loss counts. ;)

citdog
November 20th, 2007, 08:10 AM
Wofford College Terriers...........

South Carolina is with you!

All the Confederacy is with you!

With Honor you will prevail!

terrierbob
November 20th, 2007, 08:14 AM

Thank you, Sir. I'm sure our boys will give it their all.

(This font looks a little weeny compared to the "Titanic Sinks!"-sized font above it....

grizzpaw
November 20th, 2007, 08:15 AM
one win or lose I'M never out of the game(noise) i will cheer all game - win or lose!(the mouth of the north:D )

of course wofford can win! every time we have faced this type of offense it takes until the second half and our size (we are NOT a speed teamxeekx ) starts to wear them down.

it usally comes down to if they can hold onto the lead or not! if the game gets away from them they cannot catch up with this offense!:D xpeacex

Biff
November 20th, 2007, 08:19 AM
What is meant by South?

Didn't the Southern Boys from App St. (Hillbilly's) win the last two NC's???

Yes, I will be pulling for our boys from the Southern Conference. Actually, a Wofford, App St. rematch would be my hope during the playoff's.

Ronbo
November 20th, 2007, 08:23 AM
I didn't question the South's ability to play good football. Just wondering if they have the grit to get a win in Montana. History could be made if Wofford has the grit to come out on fire.

citdog
November 20th, 2007, 08:58 AM
I didn't question the South's ability to play good football. Just wondering if they have the grit to get a win in Montana. History could be made if Wofford has the grit to come out on fire.

The Grit? we got plenty of grits down here!xnodx xnodx

Ronbo on saturday you will be playing those with

South Carolina Blood in their veins!

PACK A LUNCH!

Mountaineer#96
November 20th, 2007, 09:23 AM
one win or lose I'M never out of the game(noise) i will cheer all game - win or lose!(the mouth of the north:D )

of course wofford can win! every time we have faced this type of offense it takes until the second half and our size (we are NOT a speed teamxeekx ) starts to wear them down.

it usally comes down to if they can hold onto the lead or not! if the game gets away from them they cannot catch up with this offense!:D xpeacex

That is why I would love ASU to get a shot at ya'll, we are a speed team. On Sept 1st Michigan was a size team..........;) see my point.

Mountaineer#96
November 20th, 2007, 09:28 AM
I love Citdog and since the South is rising again, my avatar will follow suit. Maybe Jerry Richardson can pay the refs or something to help out ;)

Phrebert
November 20th, 2007, 09:53 AM
I have tickets to this game and I can't wait.
Its too close to call.

ASU88
November 20th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Wofford pounded us with that running game for long periods, but where they REALLY got us was when we became desperate to stop the run and cheated up and they executed a couple of perfectly-timed trick plays for scores.

They are not a great passing team, but if you leave it wide open for them they can recognize and take advantage.

URMite
November 20th, 2007, 10:31 AM

The South is 0-16 there.

Still remember that game and watching our players in the option offense have to get their balance on the ice after each pitch, while the Griz knew enough to wear ice skates. There is a reason why "The South" has had so little success...not including the crowd and the quality of the Griz teams.

PaladinFan
November 20th, 2007, 10:33 AM
It is a shame that Woffy has to travel all the way out there. I think the Terriers have quite a good chance to walk away victorious. They played a vicious schedule in the SoCon this year and walked away champs. Can't overlook that.

Looking at the Griz schedule, they didn't really dominate any "good" teams. They hammered a couple patsies, but by no means have they just been steamrolling the competition. Wofford has been tested and certainly won't be intimidated.

Wofford, played NC State, Appalachian, Furman, and The Citadel in a row, beating all but State. They've been tested.

If this game were in Spartanburg I would certainly give a big edge to the Terriers. As it isn't, I see it as a toss up.

matfu
November 20th, 2007, 10:40 AM
as a furman fan i voted wofford would win...knowing that their biggest obstacle was the weather. with the list above, i am truly impressed, not by all the wins, but by the margin of the victories. the streak has to end sometime. the word i would use to describe the wofford offense is consistency and against furman they ran it to perfection, if they do that, they can beat anybody anywhere. as i said earlier, going to montana in the first round, i would not wish that on any team.

ASU88
November 20th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Wofford, played NC State, Appalachian, Furman, and The Citadel in a row, beating all but State. They've been tested.

If this game were in Spartanburg I would certainly give a big edge to the Terriers. As it isn't, I see it as a toss up.

This is true, but you have to wonder if that didn't wear Wofford down a bit. They didn't finish playing at the same level they exhibited in the early/mid part of the season.

I guess we'll see soon enough. :)

mtoliver
November 20th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Let's Kick A-- Wofford! (but I am confident your bye week last week will lead to healed injuries for WC and an a$$-whoopin' for the griz...)

Fixed it.. xrotatehx

mtoliver
November 20th, 2007, 10:49 AM
This is true, but you have to wonder if that didn't wear Wofford down a bit. They didn't finish playing at the same level they exhibited in the early/mid part of the season.

I guess we'll see soon enough. :)

They also got a bye week to rest up while the griz played the kitties...
I'm thinking that the week off is THE best thing that could happen for the terriers, and it's the reason that i think wofford has a good chance for the upset. xcoffeex

Appaholic
November 20th, 2007, 10:59 AM
If terriers win, then I will salute them with a shotgun...

Sir William
November 20th, 2007, 11:08 AM
The keys to Wofford winning are:

#1 - Don't let Wa-Griz Stadium intimidate you (Wofford is rarely intimidated by KBS, Paladin, or Paulson...so Wa-Griz shouldn't be a problem by kickoff).

#2 - Play your game...grind-it-out ball control; keep the Griz offense off the field (Wofford is a solid team with outstanding coaching to do exactly this).

Go get'em Terriers! Paladin Nation is rootin' for ya!

APPride
November 20th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by APPride
Let's Kick A-- Wofford! (but I am confident your bye week last week will lead to healed injuries for WC and an a$$-whoopin' for the griz...)

Fixed it.. xrotatehx

:) xnodx xthumbsupx I hear ya...would be sweet!

spdram
November 20th, 2007, 11:29 AM
There are a number of good games this week, but I put this one near the top. I expect Wofford to give the Griz all they want and then some. I think it comes down to two things; no turn overs and no big plays. The team that does best that moves on to the second round.

Since I'm pulling for my Spiders to make it to the second round I'll be watching with interest. From a selfish standpoint I'll be pulling for Wofford because if we hit the road SC's a much easier trip than Montana. Besides I like to watch football and keep warm. Of course if Wofford wins I may be sorry to get what I asked for. Good Luck to both teams!

Cleets
November 20th, 2007, 11:39 AM

The South is 0-16 there.

I was at those two games (above) and was amazed by the quality of those Griz teams.. (in 89 I was at the University of Washington and drove over and in 95 I was at the University of Maryland and flew over) if I remember right Jackson State had Darrian Connor (LB) who was the biggest fastest LB in 1-AA and I think he even knocked out the Griz QB in the 4th quarter... (am I wrong) but the Griz had this 4 & 5 wide-out offense and guys open all day.. and they ran that Wide-receiver screen that nobody on the east coast had ever seen in 1989... they took it to the house every time they ran it...

in 95 I think the Griz had 5 wide receivers with over 50 receptions each... which is fairly amazing if you stop and think about it... and they had 4 guys with over 300 yrds rushing each including the QB... consider that as well (weird) rush-by-committee with 2 guys averaging over 6 yrds a carry and the other two over 4 yrds a carry (that's crazy) it was an offense like nothing I had ever seen... they ran at will and passed at will (it was weird to watch)

and they had this Dave Dickenson guy at QB who went on to be even better than Doug Flutie in Canada for a decade plus...

I was a bit of a Griz fan because my Dad lives in Missoula and has (to this day) season tickets...

anyway: That's my story - the olden days ... now I'm in Boston soon to be moving back to Seattle - fascinated to see how the Griz look this year

pete4256
November 20th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Two questions for the Griz faithful about your defense:

1) How well do they run to the perimeter?
2) How good are your safeties?

Wofford is a balanced, tricky team on offense this year. Unlike years past, they break big plays. Their defense is suspect.

DuckDuckGriz
November 20th, 2007, 12:24 PM
If the Griz D can force turnovers and limit the TOP for the grind-it-out offense that Wofford seems to have nearly perfected, we'll be ok. If not, it could be a long, frustrating game. I think the speed of Montana's defense will matchup well and their ability to make good open field tackles, especially on end-arounds.

What concerns me the most however is that Montana's defensive line is conditioned well enough to take over the 4th quarter - and that's what has been doing it for the Griz to win these games. If Wofford is as good at grinding it and tiring defenses out as we've heard, we will need to keep up offensively which could spell problems.

All in all, hoping for a Griz win. To all Wofford fans making the trip: have a great time, Griz fans will open their arms to you - trust me.

fencer24
November 20th, 2007, 12:43 PM
I was at those two games (above) and was amazed by the quality of those Griz teams.. (in 89 I was at the University of Washington and drove over and in 95 I was at the University of Maryland and flew over) if I remember right Jackson State had Darrian Connor (LB) who was the biggest fastest LB in 1-AA and I think he even knocked out the Griz QB in the 4th quarter... (am I wrong) but the Griz had this 4 & 5 wide-out offense and guys open all day.. and they ran that Wide-receiver screen that nobody on the east coast had ever seen in 1989... they took it to the house every time they ran it...

in 95 I think the Griz had 5 wide receivers with over 50 receptions each... which is fairly amazing if you stop and think about it... and they had 4 guys with over 300 yrds rushing each including the QB... consider that as well (weird) rush-by-committee with 2 guys averaging over 6 yrds a carry and the other two over 4 yrds a carry (that's crazy) it was an offense like nothing I had ever seen... they ran at will and passed at will (it was weird to watch)

and they had this Dave Dickenson guy at QB who went on to be even better than Doug Flutie in Canada for a decade plus...

I was a bit of a Griz fan because my Dad lives in Missoula and has (to this day) season tickets...

anyway: That's my story - the olden days ... now I'm in Boston soon to be moving back to Seattle - fascinated to see how the Griz look this year

Ah the Good Old Days, when if we were down by 6 with one and a half minutes left in the game, the worry was that we would score too soon, and give the other team another chance.
Now we have Bobby Ball, which, while nowhere near as explosive, does have the admirable quality of getting the job done.

appstate38
November 20th, 2007, 12:47 PM
If the Griz D can force turnovers and limit the TOP for the grind-it-out offense that Wofford seems to have nearly perfected, we'll be ok. If not, it could be a long, frustrating game. I think the speed of Montana's defense will matchup well and their ability to make good open field tackles, especially on end-arounds.

What concerns me the most however is that Montana's defensive line is conditioned well enough to take over the 4th quarter - and that's what has been doing it for the Griz to win these games. If Wofford is as good at grinding it and tiring defenses out as we've heard, we will need to keep up offensively which could spell problems.

All in all, hoping for a Griz win. To all Wofford fans making the trip: have a great time, Griz fans will open their arms to you - trust me.

Re: Can Wofford finally break the South's drought? - Today, 09:15 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

one win or lose I'M never out of the game(noise) i will cheer all game - win or lose!(the mouth of the north )

of course wofford can win! every time we have faced this type of offense it takes until the second half and our size (we are NOT a speed team ) starts to wear them down.

it usally comes down to if they can hold onto the lead or not! if the game gets away from them they cannot catch up with this offense!

No disrespect intended, but which is it. Is the Defense fast or slow. Big and physical, we got that covered. xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

Peems
November 20th, 2007, 01:08 PM
No disrespect intended, but which is it. Is the Defense fast or slow. Big and physical, we got that covered. xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

It depends on the position. On the D-Line we have speed on the ends and all our linebackers including First Teamer Loren Utterback are fast. Our Safeties are not speedy, but more physical hitters. Corners we got speed and of course at the tackle position we are slow

putter
November 20th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Two questions for the Griz faithful about your defense:

1) How well do they run to the perimeter?
2) How good are your safeties?

Wofford is a balanced, tricky team on offense this year. Unlike years past, they break big plays. Their defense is suspect.

1) The Griz have good team speed and can get to the perimeter if they play their position. MSU ran a couple of times outside and got excellent blocking which resulted in some big gains. Our safeties are good and the are big hitters but not great speed. We have fast corners but they can get out of position so the play action that Wofford can run concerns me.

I think Wofford has a 45% chance of winning this game. I would give it 50-50 but it is on the road, tough environment and the weather will be a factor. Maybe not a big factor but it will be a factor as it is affecting me and I almost live in Canada!

ASUG8
November 20th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Let's Kick A-- Wofford! (but I am worried your off week last week will lead to a slow start...???)

They needed the rest from the schedule they had. I think that's why they began trailing off toward the end. I expect they will be healthy and well rested for Wa-Griz.

Houndawg
November 20th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Sounds like Wofford needs to score first to have a chance.

Grizalltheway
November 20th, 2007, 04:27 PM
They needed the rest from the schedule they had. I think that's why they began trailing off toward the end. I expect they will be healthy and well rested for Wa-Griz.

The Rockies were healthy and well rested for the World Series. xwhistlex

pete4256
November 20th, 2007, 04:58 PM
1) The Griz have good team speed and can get to the perimeter if they play their position. MSU ran a couple of times outside and got excellent blocking which resulted in some big gains. Our safeties are good and the are big hitters but not great speed. We have fast corners but they can get out of position so the play action that Wofford can run concerns me.

That will be key. You will not believe how well Wofford executes on the perimeter. And this year they have a couple of speedy backs who can hurt you. They're also good at breaking big plays over the top with their passing attack.

If you contain those things, they still grind it out with the best.

JohnStOnge
November 20th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Maybe. Y'all have very nice turf now and if the forecast holds the weather's going to be pretty nice for the first round playoff game.

Grizaholic17
November 20th, 2007, 05:51 PM

The South is 0-16 there.

I love stats like these. I am thinking the record will change to 0-17!! Good luck wofford, but GO GRIZ!

JDC325
November 20th, 2007, 05:56 PM

I would really like to know when they were. I know none were at Paulson.

CrunchGriz
November 20th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Maybe. Y'all have very nice turf now and if the forecast holds the weather's going to be pretty nice for the first round playoff game.

Depends on what your definition of "pretty nice" is.

The latest forecast (as of 2:24 pm MST today) from the National Weather Service shows overcast and 26 degrees at kickoff in Missoula Saturday.

Pretty typical first round weather in Missoula, actually.

Looks like the snow will be done by Saturday...but you never know.

grizband
November 20th, 2007, 06:02 PM

The latest forecast (as of 2:24 pm MST today) from the National Weather Service shows overcast and 26 degrees at kickoff in Missoula Saturday.

Sounds pretty nice to me...xnodx

JohnStOnge
November 20th, 2007, 06:16 PM

I just looked at the weather.com 10 day forecast; which projects a high of 38 and a low 25 with partly cloudy skies.

Do you have a site where I can get projections for specific times of day at different locations? I'm freaking out over the forecast for, of all things, Washington State weather in Lake Charles for the EWU/McNeese game.

CrunchGriz
November 20th, 2007, 06:37 PM
I just looked at the weather.com 10 day forecast; which projects a high of 38 and a low 25 with partly cloudy skies.

Do you have a site where I can get projections for specific times of day at different locations? I'm freaking out over the forecast for, of all things, Washington State weather in Lake Charles for the EWU/McNeese game.

JSO: Here's the site I used (NWS). Just plug in your location on the top left, and it should give you forecasts for 6-hour increments (Wofford-UM is at noon:05, so it's almost exactly on one of the forecast points).

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mso/textproduct.php?pil=PFM

WyomingGrizFan
November 20th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Still remember that game and watching our players in the option offense have to get their balance on the ice after each pitch, while the Griz knew enough to wear ice skates. There is a reason why "The South" has had so little success...not including the crowd and the quality of the Griz teams.

That's been all corrected now, hopefully. Before the 2001 season a new type of surface called 'sprinturf' was added in place of the natural turf previously played on.
Nowadays the weather shouldn't be that much of a worry, really. Not unless there is a massive snow storm right before hand, or during the game, traction shouldn't be a problem whatsoever. The snow just seems to melt upon contact, unless there's too much of it, and it is an excellent playing surface, not like astro-turf. It is a million dollar surface while Chattanooga has what?...a $ 250,000 on theirs?

Besides which, the playing surface is below ground level surrounded by the bowl-shape of the stands, so the wind doesn't affect the play of the game too much; but it depends. We don't play in too many hurricanes like we did in 2000 against Georgia Southern, but extreme winds up to 60 mph are very rare; unless you live around Livingston. Can't do too much about the temperature, but Missoula is like in a banana belt with surrounding mountains, the problem sometimes is getting to the game on the connecting highways from the surrounding areas, not so much once you hit the 'Garden City.'

Far and away, the playing surface is probably the best that there is for a northern state, including the New England area, for such possible winter time conditions:

http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/content/facilities/wgs.htm#about

You can view 'Sprinturf Project' under stadium expansion and rennovation which shows progressive construction phases as the sprinturf was being installed. Quite an accomplishment and stadium overall; many NFL teams should use such a surface, IMHO.

This is almost, it not in fact, the crème de la crème of playing surfaces, considering the type of weather conditions to be confronted at this time of year and locale. If you don't mind me saying so. That way, no more complains about a 'mud-bowl,' slippery icy surfaces, etc., etc., etc. Just good o' football in prime unadulterated conditions. Enjoy.

P.S.-I hope they televise the game back to the folks in South Carolina; I do believe that they would be somewhat impressed by the overall stadium and conditions. I know I am.

FCS Go!
November 20th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Wofford will need a top-notch defensive effort to win in WaGriz. If they can pull that off and have their usual offensive success they should win the game. With the hassle of travel, cold weather (for Southerners), Montana's defense and Hilliard apparently back up to full speed I don't see it happening. At least the stadium won't be full- that'll help.

CID1990
November 20th, 2007, 07:24 PM
I think it is a good thing that this game will be played after Thanksgiving instead of before, because the Griz might have trouble with their TURKEY after eating all that CROW.

asufan87
November 20th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Turnovers are a key variable for Wofford. When Wofford loses, it's usually because they turn the ball over. When they protect the ball, they are tough to stop. I think Wofford will give the Griz all they can handle. It'll take the Griz a couple quarters to figure out Wofford's option game.

grizzpaw
November 20th, 2007, 07:41 PM
today they said the game time temp will be in the low 20'sto about 30s' by end of game but we all know if the sun shines its warm in the stadium!

grizzpaw
November 20th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Turnovers are a key variable for Wofford. When Wofford loses, it's usually because they turn the ball over. When they protect the ball, they are tough to stop. I think Wofford will give the Griz all they can handle. It'll take the Griz a couple quarters to figure out Wofford's option gamexthumbsupx this is what i have been saying!xpeacex

URMite
November 20th, 2007, 08:51 PM
That's been all corrected now, hopefully. Before the 2001 season a new type of surface called 'sprinturf' was added in place of the natural turf previously played on.
Nowadays the weather shouldn't be that much of a worry, really. Not unless there is a massive snow storm right before hand, or during the game, traction shouldn't be a problem whatsoever. The snow just seems to melt upon contact, unless there's too much of it, and it is an excellent playing surface, not like astro-turf. It is a million dollar surface while Chattanooga has what?...a $ 250,000 on theirs?

Besides which, the playing surface is below ground level surrounded by the bowl-shape of the stands, so the wind doesn't affect the play of the game too much; but it depends. We don't play in too many hurricanes like we did in 2000 against Georgia Southern, but extreme winds up to 60 mph are very rare; unless you live around Livingston. Can't do too much about the temperature, but Missoula is like in a banana belt with surrounding mountains, the problem sometimes is getting to the game on the connecting highways from the surrounding areas, not so much once you hit the 'Garden City.'

Far and away, the playing surface is probably the best that there is for a northern state, including the New England area, for such possible winter time conditions:

http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/content/facilities/wgs.htm#about

You can view 'Sprinturf Project' under stadium expansion and rennovation which shows progressive construction phases as the sprinturf was being installed. Quite an accomplishment and stadium overall; many NFL teams should use such a surface, IMHO.

This is almost, it not in fact, the crème de la crème of playing surfaces, considering the type of weather conditions to be confronted at this time of year and locale. If you don't mind me saying so. That way, no more complains about a 'mud-bowl,' slippery icy surfaces, etc., etc., etc. Just good o' football in prime unadulterated conditions. Enjoy.

P.S.-I hope they televise the game back to the folks in South Carolina; I do believe that they would be somewhat impressed by the overall stadium and conditions. I know I am.

Thanks, I had been hearing earlier this year that you had made changes but didn't know what they were (or that it was right after we visited). I agree, I'm not a fan of astro-turf. I think JMU and Towson still had it in 2005, it seemed like asphalt painted green.

WyomingGrizFan
November 20th, 2007, 10:27 PM
One can get a video of a weather forecast with the following link, if anyone is interested. Just tab in the middle under 'Top videos,' KPAX Stormtracker:

http://www.montanasnewsstation.com/Global/category.asp?C=50436&nav=menu227_8

Syntax Error
November 20th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Can Ronbo jinx the Griz any more than what he has done over the last six years? xlmaox

SeattleGriz
November 20th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Can Ronbo jinx the Griz any more than what he has done over the last six years? xlmaox

No more than D1B has been trying to do.:)

T-Dog
November 21st, 2007, 02:26 AM

And I agree! xsmashx xsmashx xanim_chaix xanim_chaix

God be with you as you travel to the outreaches of America to put a "1" in the South's record at Wa-Griz.

WyomingGrizFan
November 21st, 2007, 02:36 AM
I think o' Yosef has been hitting on that thar jug a little bit mightily these days.

WyomingGrizFan
November 21st, 2007, 02:51 AM
AS of 5:00 PM Tuesday, sales of at least 14,000 tickets reported. Supposed to be on pace with last years First Round game against McNeese State that came in at 20,077.

appst97
November 21st, 2007, 05:28 AM

The South is 0-16 there.

Congratulations...nice stats, Maybe instead of talking about the weak Schedule you play, we should just refer to you as the 'Atlanta Braves of FCS'

fencer24
November 21st, 2007, 12:14 PM
So long as it's on the "All Montana All the Time" board.