PDA

View Full Version : Question about blocked PATs/intercepted 2-point conversions

uofmman1122
November 19th, 2007, 08:32 PM
So in the MSU/UM game, the Griz blocked a PAT and ran it back to about the MSU 30 yard line.

My question is:

What happens if the team scores on the block? Do they get a touchdown, or 2 points? I was having a little discussion with one of the leaders of the marching band (I think it was Dr. Kevin Griggs, but I'm not positive) about it, and I thought we would have scored a touchdown, but he said it would be 2 points. Anyone know the truth behind this? xconfusedx

bjtheflamesfan
November 19th, 2007, 08:33 PM
It would be scored a defensive 2 point conversion

HiHiYikas
November 19th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Go ahead and refer this question to Bobby Lamb.

UMass922
November 19th, 2007, 08:58 PM
On Saturday, Hofstra blocked a UMass extra point and ran it all the way back for two points. So unless the officials made a mistake, there's your answer.

ASUMountaineer
November 19th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Yikas, you have the correct answer. Google "Miracle on the Mountain" and you will discover the answer. It is a two point conversion for the defense.

proasu89
November 19th, 2007, 09:14 PM

Yikas, where ya been? As soon as I saw the title I couldn't wait to see who was gonna reference BL.xlolx

uofmman1122
November 20th, 2007, 02:57 AM
Thanks, guys. I was most likely confused (somehow xconfusedx) between a blocked FG and a blocked PAT. Looking back, I feel a bit silly. xlolx

The discussion did end however with us both agreeing, "Hey, points are points." xlolx xlolx xlolx

GSU 25+yrFan
November 20th, 2007, 05:47 AM

That was the biggest bonehead move I have ever seen, other than GSU hiring Vangoober. Bobby could have kicked the PAT and went ahead by 2 with what a minute left. But FU went for 2, App picked up the fumble and ran it back for 2 points to win the game by 1.xeekx

Tealblood
November 20th, 2007, 06:40 AM
that was how Charleston southern scored on Coastal this past weekend to a blocked XP run back for 2
Final CCU 41 CSU 2

proasu89
November 20th, 2007, 07:41 AM
That was the biggest bonehead move I have ever seen, other than GSU hiring Vangoober. Bobby could have kicked the PAT and went ahead by 2 with what a minute left. But FU went for 2, App picked up the fumble and ran it back for 2 points to win the game by 1.xeekx

Less than a minute, maybe less than 30 secs. And, to top it off, it was and interception by Josh Jeffries, DE, who lateralled it to Derrick Black, DB, who took it to the house. I know it's xdeadhorsex but it pull it up on YouTube if anyone hasn't seen it.

I-AA Fan
November 20th, 2007, 07:54 AM
two points

ASU88
November 20th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Less than a minute, maybe less than 30 secs. I know it's xdeadhorsex but it pull it up on YouTube if anyone hasn't seen it.

That's the single most amazing sports feat I've ever seen live. I remember that so vividly.

The students tearing down the goalposts and throwing them in the Duck Pond.

Watching the play over and over on ESPN that night.

Craziness! xlolx

stevdock
November 20th, 2007, 08:13 AM

Yes it ended in disaster but why wouldn't you go for 2 in that spot? Other than what did happen there is no point in going ahead by 2 points instead of 3.

Barnstormer
November 20th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Yes it ended in disaster but why wouldn't you go for 2 in that spot? Other than what did happen there is no point in going ahead by 2 points instead of 3.

There was like 7 seconds left... not much you can do to get in FG range...

texcap
November 20th, 2007, 08:33 AM

As noted just below your post there were only 7 seconds remaining. If there had been more time left in the game going for two to get a 3 point lead would have been the correct call. With 7 seconds left you just kick the PAT and then squib the kick-off. More than likely the time will expire on the kick-off. If it doesn't expire the distance will be too long for a field goal anyway.

Of course, picking off a pass, lateraling it to a DB and returning it 97 yeards is a pretty hard to anticipate scenario. My guess is that the odds of that happening are somewhere close to the odds of blocking the extra point and returning it for the conversion. On that day ASU was destimned to win and FU, no matter what they did was destined to lose.

Barnstormer
November 20th, 2007, 08:54 AM
I've thought about it some more and I think you go for 2.

However, you throw one of those fade routes to the corner of the endzone.. very low risk..

The odds that INT going down like that are probably the same as the PAT getting blocked for the same result.

Barnstormer
November 20th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Wait.. no, I changed my mind again.. I'd just take a knee.. no risk at all. The only thing that can hurt you on the kickoff is a TD.

Khan4Cats
November 20th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Wait.. no, I changed my mind again.. I'd just take a knee.. no risk at all. The only thing that can hurt you on the kickoff is a TD.

Ah yes, the Bailiff offense.

As a UNI fan, I remember being on the wrong end of a blocked PAT for 2pts at Western Illinois during the Dunbar era. went on to lose the game in OT if I recall, probably kept us out of the playoffs that year.

catbob
November 20th, 2007, 05:01 PM
What if the PAT hits the goalpost, bounces back, is caught by a defender and he runs it back? MSU did this a few weeks ago but they whistled it dead, he had lots of room to run.

CamelCityAppFan
November 20th, 2007, 05:05 PM
What if the PAT hits the goalpost, bounces back, is caught by a defender and he runs it back? MSU did this a few weeks ago but they whistled it dead, he had lots of room to run.

I believe the goalpost is officially out of bounds, so if it hits the goalpost and comes back into the field of play, it's a dead ball.

I think the exception is that if it hits the goalpost, and then bounces through the goalposts, the kick is still good.