PDA

View Full Version : Why do Big Sky fans think McNeese won't get so far?

Prominentwon
November 19th, 2007, 07:10 PM
I'm curious. I'm in between 2 sites and see NOTHING but Griz fans talking about "McNeese won't make it here", "McNeese can't beat those guys", or "McNeese is just successful because of a weak schedule."

I'm really beginning to think that these people are doing nothing but coming to their conclusions by looking at a 7-5 Cowboys team last year. Are you serious?

So, BSC homers....why all the animosity?

RE/MAXGriz
November 19th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Wishful thinking that we won't have to travel if we make it to the semis. LoL.

Ronbo
November 19th, 2007, 07:13 PM
I think McNeese should be favored as they have a similar home field advatage as Montana does.

SeattleGriz
November 19th, 2007, 07:14 PM
I'm curious. I'm in between 2 sites and see NOTHING but Griz fans talking about "McNeese won't make it here", "McNeese can't beat those guys", or "McNeese is just successful because of a weak schedule."

I'm really beginning to think that these people are doing nothing but coming to their conclusions by looking at a 7-5 Cowboys team last year. Are you serious?

We don't have anything to compare McNeese to, so one goes with the one commodity they do know. For us, that is EWU and even though they are young, have put together a very nice season. Couple that with the fact they pretty much are unfazed by WA Griz stadium, and you get a team that has all the tools to beat McNeese.

The same thing is happening to the Griz, by the SoCon fans. Its normal.

RE/MAXGriz
November 19th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Honestly though I look at your schedule and that could be the toughest two opponents you'll face, and maybe it's how we view "tough" but EWU is scary good on offense. (However I am starting wonder if all of us Big Sky homers are pumping up EWU too much and then they go lay an egg out there on Sat.)

Having to play EWU's offense and then presumably App St's offense just sounds scary. I'm not meaning to take anything away from Wofford, EKU or Richmond, but as Griz fans I think we our chances better against option and run-heavy teams compared to a pass heavy team in EWU and a spread-option in Appy.

RE/MAXGriz
November 19th, 2007, 07:16 PM
We don't have anything to compare McNeese to, so one goes with the one commodity they do know. For us, that is EWU and even though they are young, have put together a very nice season. Couple that with the fact they pretty much are unfazed by WA Griz stadium, and you get a team that has all the tools to beat McNeese.

The same thing is happening to the Griz, by the SoCon fans. Its normal.

Good point, very few SoCon fans are giving the Griz any respect, and I'd bet all of their boards believe Wofford will win.

TokyoGriz
November 19th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Yep thats it exactly!

We just want a home game in the semis, and you losing would ensure that!

Mcneese had a pretty weak schedule just like Montana did, so its really the pot calling the kettle black.

But Eastern Washington is probably a better team than you expect as well.

FormerPokeCenter
November 19th, 2007, 07:19 PM

If you look at our last two playoff appearances, which were basically one and dones against Big Sky opponents, it should come as no surprise why they believe that.

NAU came prepared to play and we didn't. Montana whipped us up front last year. We're much improved up front, but if you look objectively at our last two trips, I think you'd be forced to conclude the same thing.

We haven't done much lately to warrant a whole lotta playoff respect.

If we want it, we'll have to earn it....

JohnStOnge
November 19th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Well, for one thing, Montana was dominated statistically by Eastern Washington. The Eagles outgained Montana 565 to 190 in total yards. So I'm sure they have a lot of respect for Eastern Washington.

Secondly, they're figuring that if McNeese does beat Eastern Washington they'll have to play Appalachian State in the second round.

Getting to the semis will be very tough. Frankly, I think McNeese got a very tough dra. It's understandable that people would think there's a good chance that McNeese won't make it.

It's up to the Cowboys to do it anyway.

james_lawfirm
November 19th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Good point, very few SoCon fans are giving the Griz any respect, and I'd bet all of their boards believe Wofford will win.

I'll give Montana lots more respect when they've earned it - like, by beating Wofford. Which, I think, will be a heck of a lot harder than Griz fans seem to think. Regardless of the outcome, by the end of the game, you fellers will be so tired of the danged wingbone option that you'll be glad that is over.

I hope this game will be televised & that it does not conflict w/ the ASU/JMU game.

Ronbo
November 19th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Well, for one thing, Montana was dominated statistically by Eastern Washington. The Eagles outgained Montana 565 to 190 in total yards. So I'm sure they have a lot of respect for Eastern Washington.

Secondly, they're figuring that if McNeese does beat Eastern Washington they'll have to play Appalachian State in the second round.

Getting to the semis will be very tough. Frankly, I think McNeese got a very tough dra. It's understandable that people would think there's a good chance that McNeese won't make it.

It's up to the Cowboys to do it anyway.

It was 290 yards but the only stat that matters is the score. Right or wrong?

JohnStOnge
November 19th, 2007, 07:23 PM
. Couple that with the fact they pretty much are unfazed by WA Griz stadium,

If they were unfazed by the atmosphere so that they made some kind of mistakes, how did they lose? It's a serious question. It's not often that you'll see a team that outgains the other by 565 to 190 in total offense lose the game without a significant turnover deficit. They were -1, but that doesn't seem to be sufficient to account for them not winning that game.

Ronbo
November 19th, 2007, 07:27 PM
290 yards for the Griz Offense. We're more efficient. Our Punt and Kick returners give us short fields alot.

Defense bent but didn't break. Only 23 points on 560 yards, that's good red zone defense.

Walkon79
November 19th, 2007, 07:28 PM

No animosity towards you. I just want to see the Eags go as far as possible to vindicate the BSC, especially on this board.

Until, that is, they play the Montana boys. Yes, I root for the Griz over anyone else, except THE MSU. Many of the UM players are from Montana towns big and small, just like the Cats, so why wouldn't the whole state root them on now?

AZGrizFan
November 19th, 2007, 07:28 PM

SAme reason OTHER fans don't think Montana will beat Wofford? xconfusedx :D

JohnStOnge
November 19th, 2007, 07:34 PM
It was 290 yards but the only stat that matters is the score. Right or wrong?

You're right. It was 290 yards. And, yes, I'd rather be the team that got outgained 565 to 290 in yardage but won than the other team. The only stat that matters in terms of who won and lost is the final score. But what I'm saying that if you're a fan of a good team that saw the opponent dominate in terms of ability to move the ball like EWU dominated in that game I would think you're going to think the other team is good.

Griz0383
November 19th, 2007, 07:37 PM
I'll be tired of the wishbone after the first snap!

SeattleGriz
November 19th, 2007, 07:44 PM
If they were unfazed by the atmosphere so that they made some kind of mistakes, how did they lose? It's a serious question. It's not often that you'll see a team that outgains the other by 565 to 190 in total offense lose the game without a significant turnover deficit. They were -1, but that doesn't seem to be sufficient to account for them not winning that game.

290 yards for the Griz Offense. We're more efficient. Our Punt and Kick returners give us short fields alot.

Defense bent but didn't break. Only 23 points on 560 yards, that's good red zone defense.

Ronbo' answer is as good an answer as I could come up with. Hard for me to give an indepth reply, as I have had to watch all the games via internet, and couldn't really get a handle on how Montana was giving up so much yardage.

Ronbo
November 19th, 2007, 07:46 PM
You're right. It was 290 yards. And, yes, I'd rather be the team that got outgained 565 to 290 in yardage but won than the other team. The only stat that matters in terms of who won and lost is the final score. But what I'm saying that if you're a fan of a good team that saw the opponent dominate in terms of ability to move the ball like EWU dominated in that game I would think you're going to think the other team is good.

For the season. I like our Offense and Defense
.........................................UM....... .Opponents
TOTAL OFFENSE................. 4656........3743
Total Plays...........................820.........768
Average Per Play...................5.7...........4.9
Average Per Game................423.5........340.3
Scoring...............................355......... .155

ezgriz51
November 19th, 2007, 08:03 PM

I'm a big fan of McNeese, but the answer for me is simple. I don't want to see EW again this year. This is all about matchups, and we don't matchup well with Eastern, or any team with outside speed and a gunslinger. And, I have to go with a BSC Homer. Finally, you have to lose for us to stay at home - assuming, fo course, we win.

JohnStOnge
November 19th, 2007, 08:36 PM
For the season. I like our Offense and Defense
.........................................UM....... .Opponents
TOTAL OFFENSE................. 4656........3743
Total Plays...........................820.........768
Average Per Play...................5.7...........4.9
Average Per Game................423.5........340.3
Scoring...............................355......... .155

Well, all the more reason for Griz fans to think EWU is good. That's what I'm getting at. The question is why Big Sky fans think McNeese won't get far. Eastern Washington outgained the team characterized by the stats above 565 to 290 in total yards, averaged 6.4 yards per play to Montana's 4.7 yards per play, and lost by one point. So it's not hard to see why people in Big Sky country would look at Eastern Washington as a dangerous opponent.

The point isn't to say that Montana isn't good. It's to say I can understand why Montana fans as well as other Big Sky fans would say that EWU is good.

rob_p469
November 19th, 2007, 08:48 PM
I'll give Montana lots more respect when they've earned it - like, by beating Wofford.

I would have thought 11-0 and ten straight conference titles would earn some respect. I guess not. Keep doubting. Then come get some in the semi's.

FormerPokeCenter
November 19th, 2007, 09:03 PM
I would have thought 11-0 and ten straight conference titles would earn some respect. I guess not. Keep doubting. Then come get some in the semi's.

Geezus, let's just change the name of this board from AGS to "All Montana, All The Time...." or AMATT for short....

Is it Saturday yet?

ursus arctos horribilis
November 19th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Geezus, let's just change the name of this board from AGS to "All Montana, All The Time...." or AMATT for short....

Is it Saturday yet?

My friend, you are one with great wisdom.

Prominentwon
November 19th, 2007, 09:14 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Montana St. win the conference title a few years back?

Green26
November 19th, 2007, 09:14 PM
This Griz fan thinks McNeese won't get to round 3 because:

EWU is a good team and should give them a tough game;

App. St. is getting a "second" chance and will likely beat McNeese, in my view; and

we saw McNeese in the playoffs last year and they were only so good (and while much improved I'm sure, we don't believe they have improved that much).

Maybe McNeese is awesome, but I don't think they've been tested like they will in the playoffs.

Also, Montana is better than they were last year. Hilliard returned this year, and had his best of the game of the season last week. Montana's o-line is playing better and better. Our qb had his best and most complete game last weekend.

Walkon79
November 19th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Montana St. win the conference title a few years back?

Shared a couple times, with Eastern thrown in there as well. The only outright winners in the last ten years have been the Griz.

MTGrizzFan
November 19th, 2007, 09:29 PM

Is it Saturday yet?

sweet...sounds good to me

AZGrizFan
November 19th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Well, all the more reason for Griz fans to think EWU is good. That's what I'm getting at. The question is why Big Sky fans think McNeese won't get far. Eastern Washington outgained the team characterized by the stats above 565 to 290 in total yards, averaged 6.4 yards per play to Montana's 4.7 yards per play, and lost by one point. So it's not hard to see why people in Big Sky country would look at Eastern Washington as a dangerous opponent.

The point isn't to say that Montana isn't good. It's to say I can understand why Montana fans as well as other Big Sky fans would say that EWU is good.

Exactly. xnodx

McNeese75
November 19th, 2007, 10:21 PM
This Griz fan thinks McNeese won't get to round 3 because:

EWU is a good team and should give them a tough game; I am sure it will be a tough game but the Griz managed to slip by them so I am sure the Pokes can manage as well

App. St. is getting a "second" chance and will likely beat McNeese, in my view; xlolx , well that view is shared by everyone in Montana (although I think it is mostly wishful thinking

and

we saw McNeese in the playoffs last year and they were only so good (and while much improved I'm sure, we don't believe they have improved that much). The griz do not appear to have improved this year based on your margin of victory and several really close games so i guess we have the same opinon of your team.

Maybe McNeese is awesome, but I don't think they've been tested like they will in the playoffs. So I guess the Griz will not be tested this week xrolleyesx

Also, Montana is better than they were last year. Hilliard returned this year, and had his best of the game of the season last week. Montana's o-line is playing better and better. Our qb had his best and most complete game last weekend. The 2007 Offensive performance of the Griz does not really support this opinion does it?

Ronbo
November 19th, 2007, 10:26 PM
The Griz 2006 Offense that put up 36 points on McNeese State averaged 366 yards and 27 points. The 2007 Offense averages 423 yards and 32 points.

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
November 19th, 2007, 10:27 PM
While I want to see a Big Sky team do well and advance...I think McNeese will probably win this one.

Squealofthepig
November 19th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Yeah - while there may be a few Griz fans who may not view McNeese as high on the list, I know I certainly am not one! Though I think EWU will give you guys a fight, it's hard to win there (Montana is winless in Lake Charles, and outside one BSC win there, it's been a pretty solid football mecca).

McNeese is kinda like Montana in many ways - undefeated, but with a run through a fairly 'soft' schedule, compared to many east coast teams. I wish the cowboys well, though I also hope you lose so that the Griz can keep home-field advantage (which is blatant homerism, and I'll admit it - playing three games at Wa-Griz is something all Griz fans want, though I'll also admit with the FBS win, McNeese deserved the #2 seed!xthumbsupx )

MSU_77
November 19th, 2007, 10:46 PM
The Griz 2006 Offense that put up 36 points on McNeese State averaged 366 yards and 27 points. The 2007 Offense averages 423 yards and 32 points.

Not to nitpick, but it was 31 points. Still, it was a lot more than the Cowboys scored for sure.

McNeese is averaging 442 yards and 37 points this season. Last season, our record was 7-5. This year its...well its the same as yours. Not that it matters necessarily, but that's a lot beter than last season as well.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 20th, 2007, 02:02 AM
If they were unfazed by the atmosphere so that they made some kind of mistakes, how did they lose? It's a serious question. It's not often that you'll see a team that outgains the other by 565 to 290 in total offense lose the game without a significant turnover deficit. They were -1, but that doesn't seem to be sufficient to account for them not winning that game.

EWU had 12 penalties for 129 yards that took away opportunities for points, not to mention the couple key turnovers. We shot ourselves in the foot... many many times. Then we reloaded and shot again. xnonono2x

We won't make the same mistake against a good McNeese team. Prepare for a shootout, cowboys! xthumbsupx

McNeese72
November 20th, 2007, 08:16 AM
How good a mudders are EWU? It is supposed to start raining here tomorrow and rain through the weekend. Weather Channel has 40% chance of rain for Saturday while the local TV weather says 60%.

Looks like we are going to have a wet and probably muddy field.

Doc

grizzpaw
November 20th, 2007, 08:31 AM
when their field gets bad it GET bad! they are good in the mud.

Proud Griz Man
November 20th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Griz fans respect McNeese State's fine football program, and this is just meaningless and friendly playoff banter.

I would love to visit the Hole, sample some Southern hospitality, and watch a Griz victory. xrotatehx xnodx xrotatehx xnodx xlolx

DaGriz
November 20th, 2007, 09:08 AM
I think EWU will be a challenge for McNeese because their QB is very good, their WR's are very quick and their running game is good. They are very balanced. They don't make a ton of mistakes. I think going into the game against us they had fumbled one time. Their Defense is good. They have played in front of large crowds so that shouldn't be much of a factor. On the other hand, their QB is young. McNeese at home, I don't envy EWU there. Finally, if this McNeese is better than last years, how are they not the clear favorite? EWU didn't even make the playoffs last year. I'm pulling for EWU, but I think it will be a hard fought game going down to the wire. I'll be suprised if either team blows the other out. I expect McNeese to win by 3-7 points late.

JohnStOnge
November 20th, 2007, 09:10 AM
How good a mudders are EWU? It is supposed to start raining here tomorrow and rain through the weekend. Weather Channel has 40% chance of rain for Saturday while the local TV weather says 60%.

Doc

I hope they protect the field well and I hope the forecast changes. If not, it'll be the kind of thing I hate: The weather conditions will be more akin to what the visiting team is accustomed to than what the home team is. To this day I think that was the case in the 1995 semifinal with Marshall (cold and very windy). I don't think it's possible for conditions that would favor McNeese in terms of something another team hasn't experienced much to occur at this time of year, but I'd like to at least have a situation where it's not a potential disadvantage to McNeese in that the opposing players are playing in "their" weather conditions while the Cowboys are not.

bamamountaineer1013
November 20th, 2007, 09:34 AM
I'll be tired of the wishbone after the first snap!

The word they are using out of Wofford now is wingbone.

Tod
November 20th, 2007, 09:38 AM
The word they are using out of Wofford now is wingbone.

Is that connected to the loserbone?

:D :D

Just kidding, Wofford!

xpeacex xpeacex :) :) :) :) :)

kalm
November 20th, 2007, 09:44 AM

Doc

Pretty Good. xthumbsupx

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/ewas/story_headline_photos/sports/m-

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/ewas/story_headline_photos/sports/m-

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/ewas/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/1560285.jpeg

That was last weeks game at home versus Weber. It seems that every year we get at least one mudbowl.

JohnStOnge
November 20th, 2007, 10:02 AM
we saw McNeese in the playoffs last year and they were only so good (and while much improved I'm sure, we don't believe they have improved that much).

Hard to say because there's no way to measure it, but I think you may be underestimating the extent of improvement. One indication of that is the quarterback position, where the starter is ranked 6th in FCS passing efficiency. I can't, unfortunately, tell you what he was ranked last year as the NCAA site for that is unavailable right now. But I know he was way down the list.

Another suggestion is performance against Southland teams they played both last year and this year (TxSt, SFA, SHSU, NicSt, NWSt, SELA). I think those Southland teams, as a group, are pretty comparable across years. In fact, Sagarin's ratings suggest those six teams may have been stronger as a group in 2007 than in 2006. Average 2007 Sagarin rating for the six is 44.44 (median 45.41) as compared to 41.91 (median 42.67) in 2006. Average 2007 Sagarin ranking is 175.5 (median 174.5) as compared to 186.7 (median 185) for 2006.

McNeese outscored those opponents by an average of 7.7 points per game (median 8) in 2006. In 2007, the Cowboys outscored them by an average of 19.2 (median 21) points per game. That's a pretty big difference, and I think it probably understates the extent to which they improved because they called off the dogs a lot in 2007 while they rarely if ever were in position to do that in 2006.

Not saying that means they're going to win. Just saying that all indications to date are that this year's McNeese team isn't just a bit improved over last year. It appears to be a whole lot improved.

My guess is that a new quarterback coach hire as well as an opportunity for the new head coach to have from the end of last season through the beginning of this one to get everything structured his way instead of having to kind of ride what was already there after taking over during the 2006 season are factors.

JohnStOnge
November 20th, 2007, 11:33 AM
I don't like the way the weather forecasts are looking. Yesterday the forcast for overnight rain was 10%. Earlier this morning it was 40%. Now it's 60%.

Only thing is the fact that it can change like that may mean it can change again.

mlbowl
November 20th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Well, I picked EWU solely because they are our BSC brethren...and I know they are capable of the upset...but that IS what it would be...an upset. That being said, Go Griz and Go BSC!

Walkon79
November 20th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Well, I picked EWU solely because they are our BSC brethren...and I know they are capable of the upset...but that IS what it would be...an upset. That being said, Go Griz and Go BSC!

Exactly. Its the same with SoCon Fans and Wofford right now. They're all pulling for the Terriers.

JohnStOnge
November 20th, 2007, 03:08 PM
I'm going to post a question I asked a Portland State fan on, of all things, a Montana message board as well as the answer. I tried to word the question so as not to bias the response. Here's the exchange:

Q: "Did you see the games PSU played against both teams? If so, I'd be interested in how you think they match up against each other athletically (size, strength, quickness, speed). I realize that it's hard to judge, but I'd like to know what someone who saw both teams play thinks."

A: I'll give speed and quickness to McNeese. Although things seem to be a little bit slower on the field in Cheney for some reason.

I'll admit that his answer on speed and quickness is the one I was expecting. What's interesting is that he didn't even comment on the other things I listed (size and strength).

But the reason I'm thinking about that is that I do expect McNeese to have an edge in that area and I'm very concerned about forecasts indicating cool weather and rain. I think such weather would help EWU's chances for two reasons. First, I think EWU players are likely to be more accustomed to cool, wet weather than McNeese's are and, second, I think sloppy conditions will diminish what I think is going to be a speed advantage for the Cowboys.

kalm
November 20th, 2007, 03:28 PM
I'm going to post a question I asked a Portland State fan on, of all things, a Montana message board as well as the answer. I tried to word the question so as not to bias the response. Here's the exchange:

Q: "Did you see the games PSU played against both teams? If so, I'd be interested in how you think they match up against each other athletically (size, strength, quickness, speed). I realize that it's hard to judge, but I'd like to know what someone who saw both teams play thinks."

A: I'll give speed and quickness to McNeese. Although things seem to be a little bit slower on the field in Cheney for some reason.

I'll admit that his answer on speed and quickness is the one I was expecting. What's interesting is that he didn't even comment on the other things I listed (size and strength).

But the reason I'm thinking about that is that I do expect McNeese to have an edge in that area and I'm very concerned about forecasts indicating cool weather and rain. I think such weather would help EWU's chances for two reasons. First, I think EWU players are likely to be more accustomed to cool, wet weather than McNeese's are and, second, I think sloppy conditions will diminish what I think is going to be a speed advantage for the Cowboys.

I'd be surprised if your team speed is that much better. I felt our speed at DE and WR took NAU by surprise, I also felt we were a little faster than UM. Then again, PSU looked like the biggest most athletic team we played. So what the hell do I know?xthumbsupx

MSU_77
November 20th, 2007, 03:46 PM
I'd be surprised if your team speed is that much better. I felt our speed at DE and WR took NAU by surprise, I also felt we were a little faster than UM. Then again, PSU looked like the biggest most athletic team we played. So what the hell do I know?xthumbsupx

Portland State had to use several QBs against McNeese for some reason. xeekx

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2208/2050421885_1b7188e066.jpg

fencer24
November 20th, 2007, 03:51 PM

not that I disagree with you, but last year's stats may be tempered by the changed clock start rule. Could have easily subtracted 67 yards and 4 points over the entire season.

fencer24
November 20th, 2007, 03:55 PM
As to the original idea of this thread - I really like McNeese, and their fans. It's too bad that we ended up on the same side of the bracket. Would have been sweet if we could have met at Chatty after going through all the teams that disparaged both of our schedules.

Sigh.

JohnStOnge
November 20th, 2007, 04:34 PM

Well...I can tell you this much: McNeese is a lot, lot faster than PSU. I don't think you'd find either a McNeese or a PSU fan who saw the game and would disagree with that assessment.

Obzerver
November 20th, 2007, 05:03 PM

I doubt if the reason is that MSU went 7-5 last season as EWU went 3-8 last season...

CowboyUp
November 20th, 2007, 07:46 PM
One thing I can say is that I've learned to respect any and every team in the playoff field, no matter how much it may look like one has the advantage over the other. I remember in 2001 when McNeese played Maine. I thought for sure that McNeese was the superior team to Maine. Apparently it wasn't true because Maine left with a 14-10 victory. They outplayed McNeese horribly and their running back was incredible. Then in 2003 I thought for sure that NAU would get blown out. That loss was really hard to swallow. It wasn't just the loss, it was the way they did it with relative ease. It was a huge embarassment to the program to be the number 1 seed and lose by 32 points the year after you play for the national championship.

To be honest I am nervous about this game with EWU because from what I have seen they are dangerous. McNeese has been the type of team that would shut down an opponent in the red zone. Its happened in every game this season. The defense tends to let up a lot of yards but they always find a way to get a turnover or make a huge play, like qb sack. I am just hoping that this doesn't end up catching up with them. McNeese definately has been put in the toughest bracket. To make matters worse we would have to possibly deal with Appy in the second round, which is a team I'd rather not see them play. I am looking at a high scoring game in this one. It could come down to who has the ball last.

in closing, one thing I do want to point out is there is a huge difference since coach Viator took over. He has worked hard every week to make sure his teams were well prepared for the games. When Viator took over I noticed almost immediate change in attitude and demeanor in the team. He has not only changed the attitude of the team, but all of the infighting with the coaches has disappeared. This is definately probably one of the best coaching staffs that I have ever seen put together because of the chemistry of the coaches working together as well as the players. That is probably the biggest difference with this staff and the former staff. I believe all of the infighting with the coaches really started spilling over into the players. I believe that McNeese has the ability to win, but they must be at their A-game because these teams are no slouch. GO COWBOYS!!!

DaGriz
November 20th, 2007, 08:50 PM
If you haven't seen this McNeese fans, this will give you an idea of what EWU looks like. Even though it's a Montana highlight film it's relatively unbiased.

http://streamingmedia.montanagrizzlies.com/umgriz/2007_2008/Football/Multimedia/vs_Eastern_W/um-ewu-2007.wmv

JTCowboy
November 20th, 2007, 10:38 PM
If you haven't seen this McNeese fans, this will give you an idea of what EWU looks like. Even though it's a Montana highlight film it's relatively unbiased.

http://streamingmedia.montanagrizzlies.com/umgriz/2007_2008/Football/Multimedia/vs_Eastern_W/um-ewu-2007.wmv

Thanks for the video. Gives me a much better idea of what we are looking at. :)

McNeese_beat
November 20th, 2007, 11:30 PM
More good video on Eastern Washington from the BYU game, this is fairly thorough. You can see how they line up. I'm sure McNeese fans are hoping they provide comparable competition...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UC5jHRGcWHQ

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NzMmMOu_lWM

Green26
November 20th, 2007, 11:34 PM
JSO and CowboyUp, thanks for the excellent comments above. Very interesting, informative and helpful. It's great to have knowledgeable posters, learn things from them and have a civil discourse.

If Montana and McNeese meet, the game may be decided by the location, in which case the win goes to McNeese. While I don't think location decided all of the prior 6 games between us, I find it interesting that the home team won all 6. (I think this is right, as I am going on memory from what I read in recent days.)

While I hope EWU beats you, and they are very capable of doing that if their O is on, I assume you will win.

As for team speed, I know that is very important. However, it is only one factor. McNeese was much faster than Montana last year. I think EWU is faster than Montana, at least at certain positions. But Montana is not slow at all, and it's defense is very mobile.

I would be happy to play McNeese again this year, in Griz stadium. I would be nervous about playing you on your turf.

I have not been to McNeese, but I hear it's a great place and the food part of the tailgating is the best in I-AA.

From observation over the past 15 years or so, I think Montana fans like and appreciate McNeese fans more than any other school.

Good luck to McNeese.

kalm
November 21st, 2007, 12:39 AM
Thanks for the video. Gives me a much better idea of what we are looking at. :)

Of course I had to watch it, the masochist that I am. I remember from my view in the south end of the stadium, thinking on 2nd down, 3 more, than it was 3rd down, and two more, than 4th and just one more play to topple the mighty griz at home and...xbawlingx

But that was a fun game to watch.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 21st, 2007, 12:55 AM
Of course I had to watch it, the masochist that I am. I remember from my view in the south end of the stadium, thinking on 2nd down, 3 more, than it was 3rd down, and two more, than 4th and just one more play to topple the mighty griz at home and...xbawlingx

But that was a fun game to watch.

No kiddin! The air was ripped out of my drunken lungs on that fourth down miracle catch...xbawlingx

But that just means were going to blow them out next year! xsmiley_wix

Grizaholic17
November 21st, 2007, 12:58 AM
No kiddin! The air was ripped out of my drunken lungs on that fourth down miracle catch...xbawlingx

haha, that would not be so fun. At least make it a good game again. It will just be the other way around. Veteran team for you, rookie team for us.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 21st, 2007, 01:00 AM

Well I guess your not planning on seeing us again this year? That's what I was kinda hoping for.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 21st, 2007, 01:06 AM
Well I guess your not planning on seeing us again this year? That's what I was kinda hoping for.

I would love for Nichols to get another shot at the Griz; it would be an even better game with even more on the line other than pride! xrolleyesx xthumbsupx

Prominentwon
November 21st, 2007, 08:19 AM
Portland State had to use several QBs against McNeese for some reason. xeekx

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2208/2050421885_1b7188e066.jpg

I like this one better!

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb117/prominentwon2/sacksmith.gif

JohnStOnge
November 21st, 2007, 08:53 AM
Only problem with the Bryan Smith thing is that my understanding is that he's not going to be playing in this game. The other question is: If he does play, is he going to be at or near full speed?

I know it'd take a lot of luck to get through without key injuries, but it kind of bums me out to think about McNeese going into the opening playoff game without Smith, Leonard, or Whitehead. I mean, those are three really key players.

MSU_77
November 21st, 2007, 09:30 AM
Only problem with the Bryan Smith thing is that my understanding is that he's not going to be playing in this game. The other question is: If he does play, is he going to be at or near full speed?

I know it'd take a lot of luck to get through without key injuries, but it kind of bums me out to think about McNeese going into the opening playoff game without Smith, Leonard, or Whitehead. I mean, those are three really key players.

Yes, but Whitehead has been out since the first quarter of the USL game, and Leonard went down in, what, the 5th game? It hasn't really slowed down the offense. The kick return game was affected for a while, but that seems to have been fixed. And the running-back-by-committee approach has appeared to make up for Jamie's loss. Hopefully, Bryan will make it back sometime during the playoffs, but in the meantime I guess the LBs will just need to change their approach from laying back to more blitzing. We've still got some players who can get to the QB.

kalm
November 21st, 2007, 09:56 AM
That's a cool looking stadium. Wish I could be there for it. Any word yet on TV?

eagle1
November 21st, 2007, 01:43 PM
I sure hope that your d-end (Smith) can play in some capacity. He looks like he was and is the real deal. We have had several key injuries and have lost a couple of players for the season as well. We have been without one of our top runningback/fullbacks the past three weeks because of an abdominal/sports hernia. We are hoping to get him back this week but he is doubtful as well. Go Eagles!!!

nevadagriz
November 21st, 2007, 02:19 PM
Too all Mcneese fans listen up!!!!!!!!!!
I realize some of you feel disrespected because bigsky and Griz fans think EWU will give you a good game. Remeber this though if another southland team had made the playoffs you would be supporting them just like we are, esp. if it meant a home game for you guys in the semi's. Montana fans across the board respect the hell out of Mcneese st. and also feel we are in the same boat as you guys 11-0 and no props what so ever from the FCS community. We are also very very sick of the "soft" schedule talk just like you are and can not wait to get on the field and prove ourselves. So here is to both teams playing well the first 2 rounds and meeting in "the HOLE"to decide who goes to the NC.

Luap57
November 21st, 2007, 03:03 PM
Well said Nevadagriz.
Let's hope for good weather conditions and all teams play to their potential without injuries.

JohnStOnge
November 21st, 2007, 07:30 PM
I sure hope that your d-end (Smith) can play in some capacity. He looks like he was and is the real deal. We have had several key injuries and have lost a couple of players for the season as well. We have been without one of our top runningback/fullbacks the past three weeks because of an abdominal/sports hernia. We are hoping to get him back this week but he is doubtful as well. Go Eagles!!!

As another said, some of McNeese's injuries happened early. However, I can't help but lament the fact that the players that were lost were so good. The Cowboys lost a starting tailback that was averaging 7.4 yards per carry. They also lost the #3 back on the depth chart...who was the team's "home run hitter" from that position (speed). They lost an all conference receiver who was also an all American return specialist as well as an all American defensive end who, after 9 games, had 10.5 sacks and 18 total tackles for loss. He totally changed the game because his presence meant that the front four could always get good pressure without the need to blitz. Either he'd get pressure or somebody else would because he'd be getting double or triple teamed. He is a 4.5 40 guy when healthy so very few quarterbacks could escape him once he got loose.

Anyway, I know everybody has to deal with injuries. But now that it's playoff time I just regret the fact that McNeese doesn't have those players.

GrizNation93
November 21st, 2007, 08:12 PM
I'll give Montana lots more respect when they've earned it - like, by beating Wofford. Which, I think, will be a heck of a lot harder than Griz fans seem to think. Regardless of the outcome, by the end of the game, you fellers will be so tired of the danged wingbone option that you'll be glad that is over.

I hope this game will be televised & that it does not conflict w/ the ASU/JMU game.

I don't think anyone is Griz Nation is taking this game lightly. They are obviously a good team or they wouldn't be in the playoffs. But I don't think you are giving the Griz enough credit either. How can you say an 11-0 team with 15 straight playoff appearances, 10 straight conference titles, 7 first team all conference members and the BSC D player of the year (And possible Buchanan winner) needs to earn your respect?xconfusedx