PDA

View Full Version : Missouri Valley FOOTBALL?!?

Purple For Life
November 19th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Whoa.

I was just listening to our play-by-play guy Gary Rima's "On Press Row" show, and he was talking to our AD Rick Hartzell...Rick said that they are trying to switch the Gateway to Missouri Valley next spring.

What?!? xeekx

WHAT?!? xeekx

xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx

UNI Pike
November 19th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Are you sure? Most of the MVC does not even play football.

If so, Hartzell (as much as I love what he has put together today) is smokin the California state herb.

Houndawg
November 19th, 2007, 06:02 PM

If so, Hartzell (as much as I love what he has put together today) is smokin the California state herb.

The top quality kind, too!

crunifan
November 19th, 2007, 06:05 PM
AD's from SIU and Missouri State have apparently said the same thing. At least I am pretty sure fans from both school have stated that. So this isn't new.

I would love to see MVC football next year.

Purple For Life
November 19th, 2007, 06:12 PM

He said it TWICE on the show. Apparently it's just a name change? I didn't catch all the details nor was I going to try to call in--they had more callers than they could handle. I have *some* connections, (xwhistlex) so I might just ask them.

Mountain Panther
November 19th, 2007, 06:15 PM
Contrary to other UNI posters I like the "Gateway" moniker.

UNI Pike
Why go through the hassle of having NDSU & SDSU joining the conference earlier this year? The GW has a good chance of be the premier conference in FCS with all the members listed (other than IN State).

It just does not feel right. I would rather see UNI struggle within a great conference than see them winning in a crappy league every year. Ask Dayton how that feels right about now.

Purple For Life
Also: Was pointed in the direction of this thread:
http://valleytalk.net/showthread.php?t=5532

strike00
November 19th, 2007, 06:23 PM
It amounts to really nothing more than a name change. The Gateway is basically run by the MVC anyway (same offices, alot of the same staff). Does it really matter what it's called?

Gil Dobie
November 19th, 2007, 06:26 PM
It amounts to really nothing more than a name change. The Gateway is basically run by the MVC anyway (same offices, alot of the same staff). Does it really matter what it's called?

MVC or Gateway is fine by me. xthumbsupx

Petrie Dish
November 19th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Why go through the hassle of having NDSU & SDSU joining the conference earlier this year? The GW has a good chance of be the premier conference in FCS with all the members listed (other than IN State).

It just does not feel right. I would rather see UNI struggle within a great conference than see them winning in a crappy league every year. Ask Dayton how that feels right about now.

It would be all the same teams, including NDSU and SDSU.

FCS Preview
November 19th, 2007, 06:41 PM
This is like the Yankee Conference becoming the Atlantic 10 Conference becoming the Colonial Athletic Association. No big deal. :)

MplsBison
November 19th, 2007, 06:45 PM
This is no different than Maine playing football in the A10 in 2006 and then the CAA in 2007.

Different patch on the jersey is about it.

igo4uni
November 19th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Seems ok to me.

The Missouri Valley has a great reputation as being a top notch basketball conference.........It seems to make sense to capitalize on the name recognition for football.......even though the schools are not the same for fb and bb.

Purple For Life
November 19th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Contrary to other UNI posters I like the "Gateway" moniker.

I like it too...but I can also see the advantages of changing the name, too. It is sort of odd that all our other sports are Missouri Valley and football is Gateway.

My initial post wasn't so much one of being upset, but one of "wait, did I just hear what I THINK I just heard?" Just kinda surprising that we hadn't heard anything until now, and offhandedly.

strike00
November 19th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Seems ok to me.

The Missouri Valley has a great reputation as being a top notch basketball conference.........It seems to make sense to capitalize on the name recognition for football.......even though the schools are not the same for fb and bb.

What would change though? The GFC is already a top tier FCS conference, and has been for the last 10 years or so. Is there really that much to gain?

It doesn't make one difference to me. Somebody will have to remake the Logo's in the Dome though. Nobody ever thinks about them.:p

igo4uni
November 19th, 2007, 06:52 PM
I like it too...but I can also see the advantages of changing the name, too. It is sort of odd that all our other sports are Missouri Valley and football is Gateway.

My initial post wasn't so much one of being upset, but one of "wait, did I just hear what I THINK I just heard?" Just kinda surprising that we hadn't heard anything until now, and offhandedly.

Hey PFL.........I like the idea of a hot chick(I've seen your pics on a previous post) that posts on a football message board.

Does your boyfriend appreciate you??

What do you think about overweight, middle-aged guys that like to drink beer and play video games???

Do you think there's a chance??

TheBisonator
November 19th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Hopefully this name change will mean that NDSU and SDSU can maybe join the Missouri Valley for all other sports sometime in the next 5-10 years (assuming NDSU builds its new basketball arena first).

UNI Pike
November 19th, 2007, 06:56 PM
It sounds like a total PR move as explained.

It just seems confusing trying to figure out which teams will be playing when. Drake, YSU, WIU, Evansville, etc.

Purple For Life
November 19th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Hey PFL.........I like the idea of a hot chick(I've seen your pics on a previous post) that posts on a football message board.

Does your boyfriend appreciate you??

What do you think about overweight, middle-aged guys that like to drink beer and play video games???

Do you think there's a chance??

I'm DATING a slightly overweight, middle-aged guy who loves his Newcastle and Playstation 3!

http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v134/148/121/38206042/n38206042_32771700_5923.jpg

He, uh, appreciated me last night. xthumbsupx

dgreco
November 19th, 2007, 07:03 PM
I'm DATING a slightly overweight, middle-aged guy who loves his Newcastle and Playstation 3!

http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v134/148/121/38206042/n38206042_32771700_5923.jpg

thank god for newcastle.

Purple For Life
November 19th, 2007, 07:08 PM
thank god for newcastle.

He won't drink much else, he did try Moose Drool when we were in Montana, but he loves the 'castle.

BearsCountry
November 19th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Hopefully this name change will mean that NDSU and SDSU can maybe join the Missouri Valley for all other sports sometime in the next 5-10 years (assuming NDSU builds its new basketball arena first).

Keep building better facilities and dominate the Summit League and I think you have a great shot.

dgreco
November 19th, 2007, 07:12 PM
He won't drink much else, he did try Moose Drool when we were in Montana, but he loves the 'castle.

try dogfish head. well have him. That is a great beer, so is smithwicks and if you ever want a light beer pacifico. they are all decent beers, but nothing beats a fine newcastle on tap.

newsbreaker
November 19th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Keep building better facilities and dominate the Summit League and I think you have a great shot.

No, they don't.

BearsCountry
November 19th, 2007, 07:20 PM
No, they don't.

Please in the future they have a good chance at being in the MVC.

Petrie Dish
November 19th, 2007, 07:20 PM
No, they don't.

Why not?

newsbreaker
November 19th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Why not?

The MVC has made it very clear there are NO expansion plans. If a team were to be admitted, it would be someone like St. Louis, for obvious reasons, and possibly one other team (to maintain an even number). The Dakotas are an all-or-nothing proposition.

The Valley coaches are quite protective of their round-robin format, and rightfully so. They aren't going to give that up.

It's just not going to happen...not now, not ever.

bcrawf
November 19th, 2007, 07:42 PM
I see a scenario where the Valley gives the big boot to Indiana State and Evansville and replaces them with the Dakota Schools...

BearsCountry
November 19th, 2007, 07:43 PM
The MVC has made it very clear there are NO expansion plans. If a team were to be admitted, it would be someone like St. Louis, for obvious reasons, and possibly one other team (to maintain an even number). The Dakotas are an all-or-nothing proposition.

The Valley coaches are quite protective of their round-robin format, and rightfully so. They aren't going to give that up.

For the present that is true but things change, if the Dakotas keeping progressing they will be on the MVC radar. Heck they are carbon copies of MSU and UNI.

newsbreaker
November 19th, 2007, 07:47 PM
I see a scenario where the Valley gives the big boot to Indiana State and Evansville and replaces them with the Dakota Schools...

Indiana State clings to it's basketball past, but they are a potential cast-off. Evansville is thinking of bringing back football (non-scholly) but are also *somewhat* likely.

I personally think St. Louis is the first most likely addition. I don't know who the other would be.

BearsCountry
November 19th, 2007, 07:50 PM
SLU isnt coming to the Valley. They are way to aggorant for it. Their fan base would throw a hissing fit like they did in 2003 when they were asked.

newsbreaker
November 19th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Time (and the continually soaring profile of the Valley) have a way of changing things.

igo4uni
November 19th, 2007, 08:04 PM

Pics???

DFW HOYA
November 19th, 2007, 08:13 PM
The Valley had a great football tradition with a lot of familiar names in its past--the entire Big 8, for instance, plus later teams like Memphis, Cincinnati, Louisville, Houston, North Texas, Drake, Wichita State, and Tulsa.

I won't go as far to predict the MVC could become a midwestern I-A incubator league like the Sun Belt, but there are a lot of good teams to rebuild a great tradition around.

Purple For Life
November 19th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Pics???

If there were any, they'd shut AGS down for good...!

igo4uni
November 19th, 2007, 08:37 PM
If there were any, they'd shut AGS down for good...!

Wow..........I don't know what to say!!!!

xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

Purple For Life
November 19th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Wow..........I don't know what to say!!!!

xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

See why I'm content? xsmiley_wix xwhistlex

igo4uni
November 19th, 2007, 10:01 PM
See why I'm content? xsmiley_wix xwhistlex

OK...............I give up.........I wish happiness to you and your BF!!!!!

Franks Tanks
November 20th, 2007, 10:22 AM

The conference isnt gonna change just the name--

TheBisonator
November 20th, 2007, 11:14 AM

Oh, you better damn well believe it will happen. 5 years from now when NDSU has its new arena and SDSU has its stadium rebuilt, the MVC would be stupid not to consider the XDSU's.

Evansville's days in the MVC are numbered. Look for them to join Butler in the Horizon in the near future. The XDSU's and Western Illinois (They're building a new arena too) could be brought in to make a 12-team conference.

SO ILLmatic
November 20th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Oh, you better damn well believe it will happen. 5 years from now when NDSU has its new arena and SDSU has its stadium rebuilt, the MVC would be stupid not to consider the XDSU's.

Evansville's days in the MVC are numbered. Look for them to join Butler in the Horizon in the near future. The XDSU's and Western Illinois (They're building a new arena too) could be brought in to make a 12-team conference.

Not Western, their basketball team is dreadful.

BearsCountry
November 20th, 2007, 11:36 AM

Western wont be in the MVC. You guys have a good shot, Western none.

crunifan
November 20th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Western wont be in the MVC. You guys have a good shot, Western none.

I agree, Western Illinois is just not that good in anything other than football.

But I do think North Dakota State and South Dakota State both have a shot at getting in. I agree with whomever said they are like UNI and Missouri State way back when.

BearsCountry
November 20th, 2007, 12:16 PM
But I do think North Dakota State and South Dakota State both have a shot at getting in. I agree with whomever said they are like UNI and Missouri State way back when.

That was me. :)

TheBisonator
November 21st, 2007, 12:43 AM
I would say don't be so quick to discount WIU. Once they get that new facility built, that could open the door to new and better recruits in basketball and volleyball.

I would keep my eye on if WIU gets that new arena built, and see if they show a good improvement in both basketballs and volleyball. If they do it right, they could be MVC material. Heck, they could be more qualified facility-wise than NDSU if they build the thing big enough. Because today in the paper, they're talking about the final design for the new NDSU Fargodome arena, and how it will only have 6,011 seats, and there has been no discussion of if it will be expandable to 8,000 or so. If we end up building the thing unexpandable seating only 6,000, you could even count out NDSU as potential future MVC members too.

BearsCountry
November 21st, 2007, 01:54 AM
No its more than just the athletic programs at WIU. They wont be in the MVC ever. Just trust all of us on it.

JayJ79
November 21st, 2007, 01:57 AM
New facilities/arenas/stadiums don't automatically make good sports programs.

Go Bison
November 21st, 2007, 09:27 AM
That was me. :)

BearsCountry is a smart guy. I always enjoy reading his posts.

BearsCountry
November 21st, 2007, 11:04 AM
BearsCountry is a smart guy. I always enjoy reading his posts.

Thanks. :)

UCAMonkey
November 21st, 2007, 11:47 AM
Indiana State clings to it's basketball past, but they are a potential cast-off. Evansville is thinking of bringing back football (non-scholly) but are also *somewhat* likely.

I personally think St. Louis is the first most likely addition. I don't know who the other would be.

U. Central Arkansas is quickly becoming a hot commodity. Enrollment has almost doubled, facilities are great and they have a nice media market with Little Rock in their back yard. They could be a nice geographic fit for the MVC.