PDA

View Full Version : 18-team bracket for 2007?

aceinthehole
November 19th, 2007, 02:19 PM
OK, now that we have seen the committee's 16-team bracket, how do you think it would look if the NCAA approved the 18-team bracket for this year?

Assumptions:
1) NEC AQ (Albany) and 1 more at-large team is selected to the field.
2) Two PIGs would be played with the winners advancing to face #1 and #2 seed
3) NDSU and SDSU both eligible for at-large selection.
4) Seeding for the top 8 teams.

Kosty
November 19th, 2007, 02:21 PM
4) Seeding for the top 8 teams.

Wouldn't it make more sense to seed the top 6 and have the remaining 12 "playoff" in the first round and thus have 6 teams with byes and 6 teams that move on from the first round?

aceinthehole
November 19th, 2007, 02:29 PM
I'm was just using the 2 PIG format that was proposed by the NCAA for the 18-team bracket expansion. There was no proposal for a 6 game opening round and 6 byes.

I thought I read in a proposal that the NCAA was considering seeding the top 8 teams. I know regionalization is still an issue so I don't know if this is realistic for the more expensive 18-team tourney. So, I guess we could stick with the top 4 seeds.

Basically, I just wanted to see what most people think it might look like next year (with the 2007 results) if the NCAA proposal is approved and once NDSU and SDSU become eligible.

Assumptions:
3) NDSU and SDSU both eligible for at-large selection.
4) Seeding for the top 4 teams.

89Hen
November 19th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Assumptions:
Not so sure about that. Because of the regionalization, I don't think you can automatically put the PIG's (no offense, but I do love that term) with #1 and #2.

The Moody1
November 19th, 2007, 02:35 PM
I just hope that this doesn't get approved. The last few teams to get in the field are always weak enough as it is. Why water down the field even more just to appease some non-scholly wannnabes?

stevdock
November 19th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Will it definitely be non-scholly schools? I don't necessarily think that will be the case with the quality of teams that are joining FCS, i.e., NDSU, SDSU, UND, and Central Arkansas. I think one spot will eventually go to an AQ spot for the Great West if it continues as a conference. Then the other will definitely be up for debate.

89Hen
November 19th, 2007, 02:41 PM
I think one spot will eventually go to an AQ spot for the Great West if it continues as a conference.
It won't. They will be hard pressed to find enough teams to qualify.

stevdock
November 19th, 2007, 02:47 PM
It would have probably been in five years if NDSU and SDSU would have stayed. That's one reason why we are going to the Gateway though, because there was no guarantee of that. I'm sure eventually they will be able to get to 6 full 1-AA teams to meet those qualifications.

downbythebeach
November 19th, 2007, 02:48 PM
I just hope that this doesn't get approved. The last few teams to get in the field are always weak enough as it is. Why water down the field even more just to appease some non-scholly wannnabes?

Its a done deal, and that just your opinion anyway, ask the Jethros and Becky sues sittin beside you at the game, they love the NEC
xthumbsupx

Syntax Error
November 19th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Its a done dealIt isn't done until they sign on the dotted line.

danefan
November 19th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Here is what I posted as a hypothetical in the "Playoff Expansion" thread.

Hypothetically the field this year could have been (still taking into account regionalization):

Play-in Games:
Albany @ UNH
Norfolk State @ Fordham
(or really any combination of the two games or with 'Nova instead of Albany/Norfolk St)

1st Round:
Delaware St. (10-1) at Delaware (8-3)

Play-in Game Winner at Massachusetts (9-2)

James Madison (8-3) at Appalachian St. (9-2)

Play-in Game Winner at No. 1 UNI (11-0)

Eastern Ill. (8-3) at No. 4 Southern Ill. (10-1)

Eastern Wash. (8-3) at No. 2 McNeese St. (11-0)

Wofford (8-3) at No. 3 Montana (11-0)

Eastern Ky. (9-2) at Richmond (9-2)

It assumes a few things of course, for example that Norfolk State and/or Albany would get in over a 6th CAA team. That NEC gets an AQ and also that Fordham and UNH #'s 15 & 16 teams in this year's bracket.

SuperEagle
November 19th, 2007, 03:10 PM
I don't like expanding to 18 teams. The committee would assuredly use the other 2 spots for the CAA and I think 7 teams from a conference is to many. LOL. (that was a joke)

The Moody1
November 19th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Its a done deal, and that just your opinion anyway, ask the Jethros and Becky sues sittin beside you at the game, they love the NEC
xthumbsupx

We shall see if it is a done deal. Have a good one, Guido. xthumbsupx

kfkolonel
November 19th, 2007, 03:35 PM
The last few teams to get in the field are always weak enough as it is. Why water down the field even more just to appease some non-scholly wannnabes?
This has been correct most of the time, as one would expect, but wasn't Western Kentucky generally considered the 13th best team before they won it all a few years back? (As an EKU fan I hate to point out Western Ky's success, but they have moved on to the non-championship bunch, so I suppose that it is OK.)

aceinthehole
November 19th, 2007, 03:36 PM
I don't like expanding to 18 teams. The committee would assuredly use the other 2 spots for the CAA and I think 7 teams from a conference is to many. LOL. (that was a joke)

The 18-team propsal is for 1 AQ (presumed to be the NEC in 2008) and 1 at-large.

In essence the proposal adds the NEC champ and one "woofed" team, that's it.

D96 - I think that's a very good bracket, but IMO you left out NDSU (who was eligible for the at-large under my assumptions).

89Hen
November 19th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Play-in Games:
Albany @ UNH
Norfolk State @ Fordham
(or really any combination of the two games or with 'Nova instead of Albany/Norfolk St)
Do you think they'd really take one of the current autobid conference champs in a PIG?

danefan
November 19th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Do you think they'd really take one of the current autobid conference champs in a PIG?

I think the last 4 teams in should be in the PIG's no matter whether they won the AQ or were an at-large. It's really the only fair way to do it, don't you think?

TheValleyRaider
November 19th, 2007, 05:57 PM

If they thought the at-larges were stronger? Absolutely

I know people hate the basketball comparison, but it seems obvious to me in this instance. It's always autobids at the PIG. At least one, if not more of the teams in these PIGs (you're right, this is fun :D ) would be the champs from the NEC/Patriot/MEAC/OVC

AAadict
November 19th, 2007, 06:19 PM
FCS playoff games are $ losers. Hen's, App State, Montana are the exception. Adding more games only adds to the $ woes. What teams are left out that could win a title?

dgreco
November 19th, 2007, 08:01 PM
FCS playoff games are $ losers. Hen's, App State, Montana are the exception. Adding more games only adds to the $ woes. What teams are left out that could win a title?
it helps with fan support, I am sure that has to help to some extent. Making the playoffs for some teams is good, not everyone can win.

back2back
November 19th, 2007, 08:14 PM
We couldn't even fill a 16 team bracket with 16 teams that deserved to be there (UNH), why would 18 make more sense? Other than we could still find a way to leave out GSU and The Citadel.

danefan
November 19th, 2007, 08:53 PM
What everyone here is missing is the fact that the expansion argument does not involve competitveness at all.

It's about inclusion. And the NCAA has already spoken on their position on inclusion. The only thing that will slow expansion down is $$.

grizband
November 19th, 2007, 08:55 PM
North Dakota State is eligible next year. They could win a title, and would bring a large crowd to a playoff game.

bcrawf
November 19th, 2007, 08:59 PM
UNI is not going to lose any money this year and usually doesn't...

stevdock
November 20th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Since we haven't played a playoff game since the Dome was built, and it was unoffically built to host playoff games, it would definitely be a sell out and a huge money maker. The only problem that I would have is I doubt I would get my free tickets to see the Bison win each and every home game.