PDA

View Full Version : Best 1st Round Ever?

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 19th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Could this possibly be the strongest first round of matchups ever? At the risk of sounding like a Homer for the CAA, the flip side of the debate is this:

If your team is not involved team, who would you rather watch as the visiting team (homers aside of course):

Dayton/UNH vs. UNI? UNH xnodx

Alabama A&M/EWU vs. McNeese St.? EWU xnodx

Holy Cross/JMU vs. ASU? JMU xnodx

San Diego/Wofford vs. Montana? Wofford xnodx (although the San Diego option is so tempting here ;) )

With the exception of the Eastern Illinois vs. SIU and Fordham vs. UMass (and those should even be good games!), these games look more like 2nd Round or even Semifinal matchups. I just think for all the blowhards that want the field expanded and every conference to have an AQ, this field shows how exciting this year's first round is and why the Selection Committee chooses the 8 BEST teams as at-large. It works and I for one think they did a great job this year in recognizing the best teams in the country, regardless of conference affiliation, although I still would lobby for 1-8 to be seeded.

Can't wait for it all to start on Friday! xthumbsupx xpeacex

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 19th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Could this possibly be the strongest first round of matchups ever? At the risk of sounding like a Homer for the CAA, the flip side of the debate is this:

If your team is not involved team, who would you rather watch as the visiting team (homers aside of course):

Dayton/UNH vs. UNI? UNH xnodx

Alabama A&M/EWU vs. McNeese St.? EWU xnodx

Holy Cross/JMU vs. ASU? JMU xnodx

San Diego/Wofford vs. Montana? Wofford xnodx (although the San Diego option is so tempting here ;) )

With the exception of the Eastern Illinois vs. SIU and Fordham vs. UMass (and those should even be good games!), these games look more like 2nd Round or even Semifinal matchups. I just think for all the blowhards that want the field expanded and every conference to have an AQ, this field shows how exciting this year's first round is and why the Selection Committee chooses the 8 BEST teams as at-large. It works and I for one think they did a great job this year in recognizing the best teams in the country, regardless of conference affiliation, although I still would lobby for 1-8 to be seeded.

Can't wait for it all to start on Friday! xthumbsupx xpeacex

This first round is strong, but I think '05 was better. I think 14 of the sixteen teams had about an equal chance of getting in the national championship, and there were so many good teams. And the first round featured Eric Meyer (WP winner), Jayson Foster (most likely WP finalist for this year), Barrick Nealy (Texas State, I think he was NFL drafted), Eric Sanders, Ricky Santos, Ingle Martin, and Richie Williams. It's still going to be an exciting race, though.

McNeese75
November 19th, 2007, 03:46 PM
This first round is strong, but I think '05 was better. I think 14 of the sixteen teams had about an equal chance of getting in the national championship, and there were so many good teams. And the first round featured Eric Meyer (WP winner), Jayson Foster (most likely WP finalist for this year), Barrick Nealy (Texas State, I think he was NFL drafted), Eric Sanders, Ricky Santos, Ingle Martin, and Richie Williams. It's still going to be an exciting race, though.

No smack but I believe Nealy was signed as a free agent, cut, and is now in the CFL.