PDA

View Full Version : Greatest First Round Upsets?

Fordham
November 19th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Since it's clear that we're heading to Amherst as substantial 'dogs, I was interested in hearing from the board on the greatest FCS/I-AA 1st round upsets of all time.

Further, if we somehow pull off the win, where would it rank versus these other upsets?

OL FU
November 19th, 2007, 10:42 AM
One of them would have to be UNH over GSU in 2004. xnodx

Unless of course you are a GSU fan and then your were defeated by the rain, not UNHxsmiley_wix

DuckDuckGriz
November 19th, 2007, 10:45 AM
I agree that UNH and GSU has to be up there - especially since GSU looked unstoppable and in the first quarter of that game it looked like GSU was going to win in a blowout.

I think Montana was a top seed in 1993 when Delaware won the 49-48 thriller in Missoula someone can correct me on that. That game would still be going today if not for a missed extra point.

For me it has to be when NAU went to Lake Charles and beat #1 McNeese State 35-3 in 2003. A top seed to get blown out at home is incredible.

McNeese_beat
November 19th, 2007, 10:46 AM
EWU over SIU in '04, Northern Arizona over McNeese in '03...the big fluffy wasn't so fluffy in those games, was it?

Kosty
November 19th, 2007, 10:53 AM
I would think UMass' win over GSU in the championship game would count as a HUGE upset. Considering GSU was 14-0 at the time and was absolutely KILLING every team they faced in the regular season and playoffs and UMass went in to the playoffs with 3 losses and was "seeded" 11th in the playoffs.

89Hen
November 19th, 2007, 10:55 AM
EWU over SIU in '04, Northern Arizona over McNeese in '03...the big fluffy wasn't so fluffy in those games, was it?
I'd say NAU over MSU was much bigger than EWU over SIU. To that point SIU was proven to be a paper Saluki in the playoffs.

89Hen
November 19th, 2007, 10:58 AM
The only other #16 over #1 was NCA&T over Tennessee State, but IIRC TSU's star player was out for the game. xpeacex

GannonFan
November 19th, 2007, 11:01 AM
I think Montana was a top seed in 1993 when Delaware won the 49-48 thriller in Missoula someone can correct me on that. That game would still be going today if not for a missed extra point.

For me it has to be when NAU went to Lake Charles and beat #1 McNeese State 35-3 in 2003. A top seed to get blown out at home is incredible.

I agree with the '93 UD/Montana game - I think Montana was a #2 seed (Georgia Southern was the #1 seed), actually, but UD was quite likely the last team into the tournament that year (and had to play a back-up QB since the starter got hurt at the end of the year) and was going up against a Dave Dickenson-led Grizzly team. Neither team could stop each other in a wide open offensive-fest, until Montana missed the extra point on their last TD, leaving the door open for UD to take a game winning drive. Super game.

As for the 2003 NAU upset over McNeese, maybe the Cowboy faithful here can comment, but I was pretty certain that by that point in the season McNeese was a paper tiger and were decimated by injuries. It wasn't that much of a shock that they lost - most of the speculation was when they would lose in the playoffs as that seemed to be a certainty.

sharkeycox
November 19th, 2007, 11:02 AM
NAU humiliates McNeese 35-3 in 2003.

FormerPokeCenter
November 19th, 2007, 11:50 AM
I agree with the '93 UD/Montana game - I think Montana was a #2 seed (Georgia Southern was the #1 seed), actually, but UD was quite likely the last team into the tournament that year (and had to play a back-up QB since the starter got hurt at the end of the year) and was going up against a Dave Dickenson-led Grizzly team. Neither team could stop each other in a wide open offensive-fest, until Montana missed the extra point on their last TD, leaving the door open for UD to take a game winning drive. Super game.

As for the 2003 NAU upset over McNeese, maybe the Cowboy faithful here can comment, but I was pretty certain that by that point in the season McNeese was a paper tiger and were decimated by injuries. It wasn't that much of a shock that they lost - most of the speculation was when they would lose in the playoffs as that seemed to be a certainty.

I wouldn't call us a Paper Tiger back then. I would say, however, that we had a suspect defensive front and a lack of focus, primarily due to coaching philosophies. Our kids had been getting by on reputation all year long. Our best running back had an injury, but we had enough firepower behind him to be effective. For that matter, he was often injured, particularly during the 2002 run to Chattanooga.

Our biggest problem was that we weren't playing complete games and were letting teams hang around, particularly because of stupid self-indulgent penalties and we were a big 2nd half team, pulling out some games at the end that we never should have been challenged on. This was true particularly in the late-middle part of the season. Texas State, Stephen F. Austin and Northwestern (a rivalry game) were closer than they should have been.

We lost at Kansas State that year, but more disturbing than the loss was the way the wheels just fell off in the game. It was a blowout. Yes, Kansas State was good, but we played poorly and didn't rise up the challenge until after the game had been decided.

We beat Georgia Southern the following week, but it turned out to be a hollow victory, since GSU was having a relatively tough year, finishing at 7-4. The nickname for that team in the local media was "The Cardiac Cowboys" for their penchant for 4th quarter heroics...

Talent-wise, it was a very good team, it just lacked focus. After the 2002 Chatty appearance, it looked as though the kids thought getting back there would be no big deal...

We blew Nicholls State out in the final regular season game and thought that was a harbinger of a return to Chatty. Plus, to be honest, we were a little suspect in the secondary because of the way we blitzed the hell out of everybody leaving us in mismatches...

Had our kids maintained their focus and played like they were capable of playing, they could've (and should've) made another deep run into the playoffs...

Appaholic
November 19th, 2007, 12:34 PM
As an App fan, my biggest shocker was the loss to Florida A&M in first round at the Rock.....before it became the ROCK......that one still smarts......come on, a MEAC team?...xconfusedx xsmhx xconfusedx

89Hen
November 19th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Keep the suggestions coming, I will post a poll with the choices.

MSU_77
November 19th, 2007, 12:37 PM
I wouldn't call us a Paper Tiger back then. I would say, however, that we had a suspect defensive front and a lack of focus, primarily due to coaching philosophies. Our kids had been getting by on reputation all year long. Our best running back had an injury, but we had enough firepower behind him to be effective. For that matter, he was often injured, particularly during the 2002 run to Chattanooga.

Our biggest problem was that we weren't playing complete games and were letting teams hang around, particularly because of stupid self-indulgent penalties and we were a big 2nd half team, pulling out some games at the end that we never should have been challenged on. This was true particularly in the late-middle part of the season. Texas State, Stephen F. Austin and Northwestern (a rivalry game) were closer than they should have been.

We lost at Kansas State that year, but more disturbing than the loss was the way the wheels just fell off in the game. It was a blowout. Yes, Kansas State was good, but we played poorly and didn't rise up the challenge until after the game had been decided.

We beat Georgia Southern the following week, but it turned out to be a hollow victory, since GSU was having a relatively tough year, finishing at 7-4. The nickname for that team in the local media was "The Cardiac Cowboys" for their penchant for 4th quarter heroics...

Talent-wise, it was a very good team, it just lacked focus. After the 2002 Chatty appearance, it looked as though the kids thought getting back there would be no big deal...

We blew Nicholls State out in the final regular season game and thought that was a harbinger of a return to Chatty. Plus, to be honest, we were a little suspect in the secondary because of the way we blitzed the hell out of everybody leaving us in mismatches...

Had our kids maintained their focus and played like they were capable of playing, they could've (and should've) made another deep run into the playoffs...

...and then - the disastrous 2004 season. And then - Hurricane Rita in 2005. And then - coaching change mid-season 2006. It's taken a while to bring a sense of confidence back to the Cowboys, but I think it's there now. We'll see how it goes in the playoffs, but it's safe to say we feel much better now than we have in a while. Now, if attendance would just come back up to pre-NAU levels.

Kosty
November 19th, 2007, 12:51 PM
I would think UMass' win over GSU in the championship game would count as a HUGE upset. Considering GSU was 14-0 at the time and was absolutely KILLING every team they faced in the regular season and playoffs and UMass went in to the playoffs with 3 losses and was "seeded" 11th in the playoffs.

Ooops.......didn't read the whole title of the post.....sorry.

Squealofthepig
November 19th, 2007, 01:00 PM
OK, how about 1986 (first year of expansion to 16 teams) when Tennessee State went in front of 24,000 screaming fans in Jackson Mississippi and beat Jackson State 32-23?

(Won't get many votes, I know, but felt we needed one good archive game!)

Edit: Or Weber State, in 1987, beating powerhouse Idaho in Pocatello 59-30.

ChickenMan
November 19th, 2007, 01:21 PM
1993.. #15 Delaware over #2 Montana.. in Missoula

49-48

you cubbie fans knew that one was coming..... :D

poly51
November 19th, 2007, 01:30 PM
2005 Cal Poly over Montana in Missoula 35-21

mlbowl
November 19th, 2007, 02:24 PM
1993.. #15 Delaware over #2 Montana.. in Missoula

49-48

you cubbie fans knew that one was coming..... :D

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

ngineer
November 19th, 2007, 10:38 PM
2000---#4 Western Illinois hosted Lehigh from that 'patsy league'. Despite going undefeated, Lehigh might have been ranked around #10, but I can't recall. Regardless, we were 'heavy' underdogs by anyone with a casual interest in the game, and the 'smack' received by the Lehigh players during the pre-game warmups from the Leathernecks was startling. It provided some great motivation as the Mountain Hawks soared to a 37-7 victory. Not only was the victory a surprise to many, but the margin of victory was shocking.

AZGrizFan
November 19th, 2007, 10:42 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

That's what's so funny!

WrenFGun
November 19th, 2007, 10:48 PM
UNH's win over GSU was pretty large. UNH could not have been less established in that game, and it seemed like, at one point in the game, it just kind of hit them out of the blue how to stop the option. Of course, we then got absolutely trounced by Montana in that one. (I'll tell ya, Montana was big UNH fans after that one, as they got a home game because of it..)

VT Wildcat Fan53
November 19th, 2007, 11:37 PM
UNH's win over GSU was pretty large. UNH could not have been less established in that game, and it seemed like, at one point in the game, it just kind of hit them out of the blue how to stop the option. Of course, we then got absolutely trounced by Montana in that one. (I'll tell ya, Montana was big UNH fans after that one, as they got a home game because of it..)

Agreed. ALSO, don't forget that David Ball went out with an ankle injury on something like the 3rd or 4th offensive play for UNH. In the 2nd half, it became the Santos & Corey Graham show. UNH really had no business winning that game, but actually dominated in the rain.

Too bad the Griz brought the euphoria to an abrupt halt the following week in a blowout the other way.

Grizalltheway
November 19th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Agreed. ALSO, don't forget that David Ball went out with an ankle injury on something like the 3rd or 4th offensive play for UNH. In the 2nd half, it became the Santos & Corey Graham show. UNH really had no business winning that game, but actually dominated in the rain.

Too bad the Griz brought the euphoria to an abrupt halt the following week in a blowout the other way.

No problem. :D xthumbsupx

UMass922
November 20th, 2007, 12:23 AM
In 1999, #1 seed Tennessee State lost to #16 North Carolina A&T 24-10. It's probably safe to say, though, that TSU was overrated. (NCAT lost to YSU 41-3 in the next round.)

mvemjsunpx
November 20th, 2007, 04:26 AM
The biggest upset was definitely McNeese losing to NAU in 2003. #1 seeds just don't lose to teams who barely make the field with freshman QB's, much less get slaughtered.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 20th, 2007, 08:14 PM
One of them would have to be UNH over GSU in 2004. xnodx

Unless of course you are a GSU fan and then your were defeated by the rain, not UNHxsmiley_wix

I agree that UNH and GSU has to be up there - especially since GSU looked unstoppable and in the first quarter of that game it looked like GSU was going to win in a blowout.

I disagree. IIRC, UNH was viewed as the #5 team that year. IMHO, the #5 team beating the #4 team on the road hardly qualifies as the greatest first round upset EVER. xpeacex

Big Dawg
November 21st, 2007, 12:50 AM
As an App fan, my biggest shocker was the loss to Florida A&M in first round at the Rock.....before it became the ROCK......that one still smarts......come on, a MEAC team?...xconfusedx xsmhx xconfusedx

HA HA HA!!!xlolx

I have that game on tape!!!xnodx

Don't act suprised because we were from the MEAC...we could've beaten every team in the nation that year(maybe not GSU) but the 1999 Rattlers were almost unstoppable

We were LOADED that year on offense...We went up there and kicked ASU to sleep, went to Troy State the following week and upset them, and then blew a late 4th quarter lead to lose to Youngstown State by 3 points.

FAMU was the isht in the mid to late 1990's!!!

I miss that team
http://members.aol.com/roaddog482/vsbcc.jpg

McNeese75
November 21st, 2007, 01:42 PM
I disagree. IIRC, UNH was viewed as the #5 team that year. IMHO, the #5 team beating the #4 team on the road hardly qualifies as the greatest first round upset EVER. xpeacex

xmadx Yep, unfortunatley we are a part of history right up there with the infamous "Go for two" and "Take a knee" xcoolx xlolx

mlbowl
November 21st, 2007, 01:47 PM

Good thing it was GSU...everyone here knows you can't stop Wofford's option.xrolleyesx

GreatAppSt
November 21st, 2007, 02:04 PM
HA HA HA!!!xlolx

I have that game on tape!!!xnodx

Don't act suprised because we were from the MEAC [/IMG]

I was not surprised.xthumbsupx Disapointed very much so but not surprised. Iremember waiting on the selections and praying not to be matched with A&M that year. The matchups just did not favor us and I wanted nothing of FAMU's speed that year. Sadly my misgivings were proven right.xbawlingx

Big Dawg
November 21st, 2007, 02:08 PM
I was not surprised.xthumbsupx Disapointed very much so but not surprised. Iremember waiting on the selections and praying not to be matched with A&M that year. The matchups just did not favor us and I wanted nothing of FAMU's speed that year. Sadly my misgivings were proven right.xbawlingx

Yeah...I gotcha...FAMU was the sleeper in the playoffs that year, though.

But I think I'm gonna go look at that game tape now, though...xlolx

Also that's back when Coach Billy Joe used to load the team with talent and hang beat teams by 40 points every week.

Old Cage
November 21st, 2007, 02:44 PM
1978 - First year for I-AA: First round:

1978 NCAA Division I-AA
UMass 44, Nevada-Reno 21
December 9, 1978 • MacKay Stadium, Reno, Nev.
In the 1978 NCAA Division I-AA
semifinal, UMass used a combination
of big-play offense and a superlative
defense to stop previously undefeated
and top-ranked Nevada-Reno 44-21.
The Minuteman defense forced seven
Wolfpack turnovers (six interceptions,
one fumble) to give the offense the ball
in fine field position most of the day.

(We finished 9-4 and had a prized 27-0 victory over Boston College.)

Fordham
November 21st, 2007, 02:49 PM
So given the overall tenor of the Fordham playoff posts throughout the board, suffice to say that this would go down as one of the greatest first round upsets?

Thoughts/comments?

AAadict
November 21st, 2007, 05:38 PM
Lafayette had App St beat in the 2nd half of the 2005 opener. Then the officials decided to change that. Every completed pass was a late holding call. Every turnover by App St was a late flag on the D. I was at that game in Boone and even though I am not a Leopards fan you couldn't help but get wrapped up in what the Leopards were doing. I'm sure every App'er will disagree and they were the best team that year. But they took Lafayette way too lightly and they needed help in the 2nd half to win that game. Be sure to record your game vs UMass. I wish I had a tape of that 2005 Leopards vs. App St. It was more fun that expected.

Grizaholic17
November 21st, 2007, 06:13 PM
It's been said many times, but it's true. The NAU over Mcneese St. in 2003 with the big margin vicotry. Shocked alot of people in Lake Charles.