PDA

View Full Version : IF ELIGIBLE - WOULD NDSU/SDSU BEEN SELECTED?

RabidRabbit
November 19th, 2007, 09:24 AM
NDSU ENDS UP #2 in the Great West Conference, 10-1 with TWO FBS wins, no wins over other teams in the play-offs.

SDSU ENDS UP #1 in the Great West Conference, 7-4 (an all FCS schedule), 6-1 last 7 games, with wins over NDSU, Poly, Central Ark., loses were a first game 4 OT loss to WIU, Youngstown, #1 UNI, Ga Southern.

Would one or both have been selected? Neither? Why or why not?

Tim James
November 19th, 2007, 09:26 AM
NDSU yes. It would have been really easy to pick them to avoid having a headache about who to choose between UNH and 'Nova. The 2 FBS wins would have sealed it and 10 wins.

FCS Preview
November 19th, 2007, 09:28 AM
NDSU absolutely.

appstate38
November 19th, 2007, 09:30 AM
It would have bumped UNH out definitely....

Dane96
November 19th, 2007, 09:31 AM
I don't even know why NDSU would be questioned. Of course they would get in. SDSU would have been intersting because of this win...but I would say NO!

andy7171
November 19th, 2007, 09:33 AM
NDSU would be a definate lock and possible seed. Not so sure about SDSU. The Rabbits sure did finish hella strong though.

McNeese_beat
November 19th, 2007, 10:14 AM
I picked "both" but that was under the incorrect assumptionxoopsx that the Great West would have an autobid...
But SDSU is a better 7-4 than New Hampshire.

lizrdgizrd
November 19th, 2007, 10:19 AM
I think NDSU would have been in, but then there wouldn't have been an open spot for SDSU.

skinny_uncle
November 19th, 2007, 10:19 AM
At 10-1, NDSU would have been a no-brainer knocking UNH out of the field. SDSU would have been discussed, but who would you take out of the field? Everyone else in the field had at least 8 wins which would probably have left SDSU out in the cold.

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 19th, 2007, 10:29 AM
I picked "both" but that was under the incorrect assumptionxoopsx that the Great West would have an autobid...

Both would mean UNH and another would have to be removed from the field. NDSU no question would be in and UNH out. SDSU would be out.

BisonBacker
November 19th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Who in their right mind picked SDSU only?xnonox

dgreco
November 19th, 2007, 11:13 AM
I think NDSU would have been in, but then there wouldn't have been an open spot for SDSU.

feel the same way, but I think SDSU would of been a good team in the playoffs.

GannonFan
November 19th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Without a doubt NDSU would be in and without an auto bid SDSU would not be in.

BisonBacker
November 19th, 2007, 11:45 AM
SDSU is a good team and certainly could make some noise in the playoffs.

SU Jag
November 19th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Why isnt NDSU elgible? Someone help me out!xconfusedx

FargoBison
November 19th, 2007, 11:51 AM

Every school that leaves DII is ineligable for 4 years. This was NDSU's last year of sitting out.

RabidRabbit
November 19th, 2007, 11:52 AM

Both NDSU and SDSU are in their last year of DII to DI transition. xoopsx

Therefore, not eligible for play-offs this year. xbawlingx

UCA finishes their transition in 2010, I believe that NC Central or Winston-Salem is on that same track.

FightinBlue
November 19th, 2007, 11:53 AM
NDSU ENDS UP #2 in the Great West Conference, 10-1 with TWO FBS wins, no wins over other teams in the play-offs.

SDSU ENDS UP #1 in the Great West Conference, 7-4 (an all FCS schedule), 6-1 last 7 games, with wins over NDSU, Poly, Central Ark., loses were a first game 4 OT loss to WIU, Youngstown, #1 UNI, Ga Southern.

Would one or both have been selected? Neither? Why or why not?

I think both would have made it. Delaware and UNH would have been passed by. But? Being new around here. I am not sure why both schools are not eligible? Any one could be kind to fill me in!xreadx

SU Jag
November 19th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Every school that leaves DII is ineligable for 4 years. This was NDSU's last year of sitting out.

I thought that they had served their time. Damn, I feel bad for those kids.xnonono2x

Franks Tanks
November 19th, 2007, 11:54 AM
feel the same way, but I think SDSU would of been a good team in the playoffs.

Yup, especially since SDSU is playing some very good football right now and peaked at the end of the season.. However NDSU still of cousre gets in bumping UNH. SDSU may be one of the best 16 teams right now nut there would be no room for them.

UMass922
November 19th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Both would mean UNH and another would have to be removed from the field. NDSU no question would be in and UNH out. SDSU would be out.

I voted "both" but just realized this. So yeah, probably only NDSU would be in. But SDSU would have been in too if, say, JMU, EWU, or EIU had lost Saturday. With the NDSU win and the strong finish I'd think they would have to be in line ahead of UNH.

kardplayer
November 19th, 2007, 12:02 PM

I did the same thing

Gil Dobie
November 19th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Yup, especially since SDSU is playing some very good football right now and peaked at the end of the season.. However NDSU still of cousre gets in bumping UNH. SDSU may be one of the best 16 teams right now nut there would be no room for them.

Probably NDSU, still a top 15 team. SDSU would be a bubble team without an autobid, but are good enough for the playoffs.

RabidRabbit
November 19th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Probably NDSU, still a top 15 team. SDSU would be a bubble team without an autobid, but are good enough for the playoffs.

Good enough, definitely. Selected? xconfusedx xconfusedx

Oh well, does that mean we get the Woffy? xlolx xlolx

Who knows? maybe SDSU will get picked higher than 2nd to last in the pre season conference poll. :p

stevdock
November 19th, 2007, 02:06 PM
SDSU was definitely a team that got better throughout the season. Definitely played a very tough schedule. I do applaud the Jacks on that. Either way both NDSU and SDSU look ready to create some havoc in both the Gateway and the playoffs next year.

Squealofthepig
November 19th, 2007, 02:15 PM
One other item working in favor of both is regionalization. If both are eligible, we could have seen EWU going to NDSU, SDSU going to Montana, and someone a heck of a lot closer than Wofford is to Montana visit the hole.

I think SDSU would have been on the outside looking in, though the scenario of SDSU getting an autobid and NDSU getting an at-large would have caused some very interesting headaches.

JohnStOnge
November 19th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Before they picked UNH I'd have said no. But given that they showed they'll take a 7-4 and SDSU played such a tough schedule, if I had to bet, I'd bet they'd be in. I think UNH got in because they beat Marshall, but I think beating NDSU is a lot more impressive than beating this year's Marshall squad.

lizrdgizrd
November 19th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Before they picked UNH I'd have said no. But given that they showed they'll take a 7-4 and SDSU played such a tough schedule, if I had to bet, I'd bet they'd be in. I think UNH got in because they beat Marshall, but I think beating NDSU is a lot more impressive than beating this year's Marshall squad.
The only point you're missing is that they'd take NDSU first and that wouldn't leave any room for SDSU. xcoffeex

RabidRabbit
November 19th, 2007, 02:42 PM
The only point you're missing is that they'd take NDSU first and that wouldn't leave any room for SDSU. xcoffeex

Is an 8-3 team with a win over a sub D-I team (or maybe a non-schollie D-I) better than a 7-4 team playing all schollies FCS or with FBS games also? Especially with wins over a top 10 fcs team?

If so, why?

igo4uni
November 19th, 2007, 02:47 PM
I voted "both" but just realized this. So yeah, probably only NDSU would be in. But SDSU would have been in too if, say, JMU, EWU, or EIU had lost Saturday. With the NDSU win and the strong finish I'd think they would have to be in line ahead of UNH.

I did the same thing.:( :(

Benne
November 19th, 2007, 04:13 PM
The Jacks were 11 points away from being 10-1. That being said, they wouldn't have picked two at-large bids from the Great West with one of the records being 7-4.

RabidRabbit
November 25th, 2007, 11:21 AM
So would NDSU been a better seed than Montana or McNeese (or SIU)? xwhistlex

X-Factor
November 25th, 2007, 11:28 AM
So would NDSU been a better seed than Montana or McNeese (or SIU)? xwhistlex

hindsight is always 20/20 xthumbsupx

patssle
November 25th, 2007, 11:42 AM
NDSU is a top 4 team in the country easily...a shame they didn't get a chance to go to playoffs.