PDA

View Full Version : Is ESPN doing the two worst games?

Ronbo
November 19th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Delaware could blow out Delaware State. Could be over by halftime.

UMass will be a blowout too and Thankgiving weekend, how many fans will be there 7000? It will look like a HS game. Come on UMass get some butts in those seats.

The McNeese and ASU games would have been better choices. Looks like McCruchen has some power with the TV.

danefan
November 19th, 2007, 09:20 AM
It's ESPN cheaping out. Much cheaper to drive your rig up to UMass from Connecticut then it is out west or down south.

And we know why they are at UD/Del State.

Cleets
November 19th, 2007, 09:22 AM
It's ESPN cheaping out. Much cheaper to drive your rig up to UMass from Connecticut then it is out west or down south.

And we know why they are at UD/Del State.

Bingo..!!!

-

Tim James
November 19th, 2007, 09:22 AM

Have you seen this Delaware team ? They are in no way a juggernaut. ESPN is showing this game because they love the "story" aspect of it.

andy7171
November 19th, 2007, 09:23 AM
I agree. I understand why the Delaware/DelState game is on, but the UMass/Fordham game is a bit lame. McNeese/EasternWashington would have been a nice one to see.

Saluki_man
November 19th, 2007, 09:23 AM
While I'm not surprised by the choice of DSU/UD for the Friday game, I am surprised however on the choice to televise the Fordham/UMass game.

I would like to see the ASU game televised, because of the possible name recognition from the ASU/Michigan game earlier. Of course were talking about the network that covers the Yankees and Red Sox way too much.

ncbears
November 19th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Where can I find a complete schedule and tv schedule of the playoffs games?

Franks Tanks
November 19th, 2007, 09:28 AM

UMass will be a blowout too and Thankgiving weekend, how many fans will be there 7000? It will look like a HS game. Come on UMass get some butts in those seats.

The McNeese and ASU games would have been better choices. Looks like McCruchen has some power with the TV.

Espn is still a business--there really inst much ROI in there eyes to send a crew all the way to Montana for probably only slightly better ratings

DSUHornet
November 19th, 2007, 09:33 AM
i dont think either game is bad

jstate83
November 19th, 2007, 09:40 AM
I don't know about either team, Delaware or Delaware St, but ya'll living on Mar's if any of you thought that game was not going to be on TV after all the talk and "Outside the Lines" sport's stories that have been on.

Gurantee you "Outside the lines" have a follow-up on this game Sunday.
People will tune in from other part's of the country just to see what all the hub-bub is about if nothing else.xtwocentsx

BTW:
I don't think it will be a blow-out.
Team's have scored a LOT of point's on Delaware's defense this year.

Cranium716
November 19th, 2007, 09:41 AM
I completely agree with ESPN's decision to televise the UD/DSU game. This game has a great storyline and could be a great game depending on which Delaware team decides to show up.

The Fordham/UMass game is, in my opinion, the weakest of the eight first-round games, by far. The ASU/JMU game could be hyped big-time becuase a lot of people jumped on the ASU bandwagon after the Michigan win. A lot of non-FCS buffs would watch this game, while I think that no one will be watching the Fordham/UMass game. Plus this should be one of the most contested games in the first round.

Will App St be streaming the game on their athletic website?

andy7171
November 19th, 2007, 09:45 AM
i dont think either game is bad

I don't think it's a question of being a bad game, just that there are better ones. But people are correct in saying ESPN's ratings aren't going to be much different Saturday afternoon between the UMass game or the Montana game. Amhearst is a much cheaper desination for a game relatively few will tune in to see.

biggie
November 19th, 2007, 09:50 AM
The Fordham/UMass game is, in my opinion, the weakest of the eight first-round games, by far. The ASU/JMU game could be hyped big-time becuase a lot of people jumped on the ASU bandwagon after the Michigan win. A lot of non-FCS buffs would watch this game, while I think that no one will be watching the Fordham/UMass game. Plus this should be one of the most contested games in the first round.

Will App St be streaming the game on their athletic website?
It should be streamed if no TV station picks it up.

But I feel that SportsSouth or MASN will carry it.

andy7171
November 19th, 2007, 09:52 AM

That would be sweet if MASN picked it up! I'm guessing conference TV contracts have nothing to do with the post-season?

Houndawg
November 19th, 2007, 09:52 AM
I don't think it's a question of being a bad game, just that there are better ones. But people are correct in saying ESPN's ratings aren't going to be much different Saturday afternoon between the UMass game or the Montana game. Amhearst is a much cheaper desination for a game relatively few will tune in to see.

Passing over ASU vs JMU for a walkover like UMASS vs. Fordham is hard to understand. Must have been part of the trade for the 5th CAA team.

The Moody1
November 19th, 2007, 09:53 AM

I think that anyone that wants to broadcast the game will have to negotiate the rights with ESPN. I hope someone can make it happen, but I won't miss having to sit through the TV timeouts if it doesn't.

Ruler 79
November 19th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Just for the record I like Delaware States chances. Delaware as posted earlier is not a machine and Delaware State will have something to prove. Oh and this just in Delaware State is a pretty good team.

I can't wait to watch this one.

My East coast bias has me excited for Fordham and UMASS as well....sorry Montana, UNI etc.. Although I do think the NC will come from west of the Ol Mississipp.

DSUHornet
November 19th, 2007, 09:54 AM

we hope to carry on the tradition xlolx xnodx xlolx

EmeryZach
November 19th, 2007, 09:56 AM
I don't know if this was mentioned, but UMass has a pretty good relationship with ESPN, considering that the founders of ESPN went to UMass.

ButlerGSU
November 19th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Are any of the smaller networks picking up the other games? Maybe CSS or SportsSouth?

skinny_uncle
November 19th, 2007, 10:00 AM
I really thought someone would broadcast the UNI-UNH matchup. The Sanders vs. Santos angle should have been enough. The Del game doesn't surprise me.

JoltinJoe
November 19th, 2007, 10:01 AM
A lot of non-FCS buffs would watch this game, while I think that no one will be watching the Fordham/UMass game. Plus this should be one of the most contested games in the first round.

Fordham is better than you guys seem to think.

And it happens to be located in this place called New York City, which right now is paying some genuine attention to Fordham football. But you're probably right, no one will watch Fordham because hardly anyone lives in New York City or its environs.xwhistlex

andy7171
November 19th, 2007, 10:01 AM
I think that anyone that wants to broadcast the game will have to negotiate the rights with ESPN. I hope someone can make it happen, but I won't miss having to sit through the TV timeouts if it doesn't.

You would think the ASU-JMU game would beat the UMass/Fordham in ratings, just based on the name recognition from the Michigan game. Not so sure ESPN would give that game away.xnonono2x

RAMS83
November 19th, 2007, 10:02 AM
I understand other teams draw more fans than UMass. I think this game will be competitve. In fact, I think it will be high scoring and exciting. One aspect, fair or not I think is being taken into consideration is exposure to the NYC- Boston media markets. Fordham has over 100k alumni most in the tri-state area (NY-NJ-Conn.) area and UMass will draw plenty of eyes in the Boston-Conn-Rhode Island area as well. Dont get me wrong-I understand fans of other teams -- would prefer to be the EPNU game. But I get the impression-- adversitising dollars may be more to the NCAA here than in other parts of the country.

btw dont underestimate Fordham-- they knocked off a CAA team in the 1st round last time they were in the playoffs 2002.

biggie
November 19th, 2007, 10:11 AM
You would think the ASU-JMU game would beat the UMass/Fordham in ratings, just based on the name recognition from the Michigan game. Not so sure ESPN would give that game away.xnonono2x

Apparently ESPN wanted to show the ASU/JMU game Friday night. But the high school is playing there that night, so the game was moved to Saturday. Now it appears that ESPN is having a hard time finding a slot, the only option may be a night game. Otherwise someone should definately carry it, too big of an audience.

McNeese_beat
November 19th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Fordham is better than you guys seem to think.

And it happens to be located in this place called New York City, which right now is paying some genuine attention to Fordham football. But you're probably right, no one will watch Fordham because hardly anyone lives in New York City or its environs.xwhistlex

They call the Big Sky conference the Big Fluffy and insinuate that playing Eastern Washington is playing a weak team (even though EWU beat top-seed SIU in 2004). I've seen the Southland called a "joke."

So calling out an 8-3 Fordham team falls perfectly into that world view...

Fordham
November 19th, 2007, 10:24 AM
The ASU - JMU matchup should be on but I'm not complaining. Other than that, I don't think there's such considerable interest in any other FCS team that it would make sense for ESPN to send a crew somewhere other than the closest game (again, it's the $$).

As for our matchup, I really don't know what to think or expect. I've seen us play very tough, very good, very disciplined and exciting football in our biggest and most important games this season and I've seen us play error-prone, soft and uninspired in other games. I'm hoping that this continues and we at least bring our best on Saturday. Whether or not that'll be enough, who knows? I have to tell you, though, I'm just enjoying this. We were expected to be next to last in our conference and we went out and won it. As a Fordham fan, this is all just gravy imo, and I'm hoping we represent our league well but in the end I'm really just trying to enjoy this as much as possible.

Seasons where you so exceed expectations come along rarely - this is a great year to be a Fordham fan.

89Hen
November 19th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Some have, some haven't...

Towson - 7
Monmouth - 7
Rhode Island - 9
West Chester - 14
Villanova - 16
Northeastern - 20

DSU hasn't scored more than 29 on anyone this year. I don't think this game is going to be as high scoring as people think.

Oldhen
November 19th, 2007, 10:30 AM

More than we'd like (particularly in three games) but really not unremarkable when you look at how our opponents were doing overall.

We held five teams at least a TD under their average points per game (WCU, RI, Towson, Nova, and Monmouth). We held four teams within a point of their points per game average (W&M, UNH, NE, and JMU). Richmond scored 38 in regulation, two more than their per game average (the rest came in the 5 OT's).

Only Navy scored well above their average (52 vs 40).

So in eleven games, we held our opponents to roughly their scoring average or less in regulation, with the exception being our FCS opponent, who looks like their going to go 8-4 and to a bowl.

I'd guess it'll work out about the same with DSU.

devilhen
November 19th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Just for the record I like Delaware States chances. Delaware as posted earlier is not a machine and Delaware State will have something to prove. Oh and this just in Delaware State is a pretty good team.

Just for the record, Delaware IS pretty much as machine on offense. Check out our stats if you like. Delaware State has not shown that it can put up a lot of points & really hasn't faced a powerful opponent all year. Do you think DSU's defense is better than Richmond's? - we put up 38 on them in regulation, 37 on JMU, 59 on Navy. People are making this out to have more "upset" potential than it really has.

Hey, according to the polls, Delaware winning is an upset - do you believe that as well...xpeacex

bench
November 19th, 2007, 10:57 AM
When I looked at the bracket on ESPN.com yesterday, it had App/JMU as the noon game on Saturday. When did they change this, and why would they?

Syntax Error
November 19th, 2007, 11:04 AM

The McNeese and ASU games would have been better choices. Looks like McCruchen has some power with the TV.Obviously they should air the Montana/Wofford game live on every single television station and then replay it on all the stations 24/7 until the next Montana game. But they won't because everyone has a HUGE case of Griz Envy.

Hoboken Dukes
November 19th, 2007, 11:24 AM
from everything i can tell, JMU vs. Appy State will be on TV

http://sports.espn.go.com/espntv/espnGuide

if you look at the guide for ESPNU for the 24th, at 3:30 they have a block set aside for division 1 playoff football.

if you look at the bracket below from The Sports Network, JMU/Appy State are the only game w/out a time attributed to the game that would be shown on ESPNU (no offense EKU & Rich)

also, ESPNU has a "rivalry week" game set for noon on saturday, i don't believe this will be umass/fordham.

Saturday, November 24th
-----------------------

Fordham (8-3) at Massachusetts (9-2), 12 p.m.
Wofford (8-3) at (3) Montana (11-0), 2:05 p.m.
Eastern Illinois (8-3) at (4) Southern Illinois (10-1), 2:30 p.m.
New Hampshire (7-4) at (1) Northern Iowa (11-0), 7:35 p.m.
Eastern Washington (8-3) at (2) McNeese State (11-0), 8 p.m.
James Madison (8-3) at Appalachian State (9-2), TBA
Eastern Kentucky (9-2) at Richmond (9-2), TBA

does anyone see anything out there as of this morning that would contradict this scenario?

Cranium716
November 19th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Yeah, on ESPNU's TV site it says:

Fri., Nov. 23 Div. I-AA Football
NCAA Tournament, first round 1:30 p.m. ESPN
Sat., Nov. 24 Div. I-AA Football
NCAA Tournament, first round Noon ESPNU

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=2986748

A little off-topic, but I love how ESPN has posted this as a "I-AA" game!

Saint3333
November 19th, 2007, 11:34 AM

The shocker is the ESPNU game, but look at it from the network's perspective. They likely want that region to pick up the network the best way to do that is to put a team like UMass on TV and then have all their fans call their cable company to complain about not getting it and threaten to switch to direct TV.

I thought they would ride the ASU over Michigan story line during the playoffs... so what do I knowxcoffeex.

Hoboken Dukes
November 19th, 2007, 11:42 AM
wow, that's weird. two espn websites, each showing a different game that will be on. i'm hoping the one i saw is right, and that the TBA means they're just waiting for confirmation of the tv setup. if they announce jmu/appy state is 3:30 kick later today, i'll feel much more confident.

if that's the case, rhodeside grill in arlington is the place to be saturday!

Syntax Error
November 19th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Fordham at Massachusetts is the ESPNU game regardless of when they play. ESPN chose it on Sunday. So unless they change their mind or the gametime...

Kosty
November 19th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Bottom line on why UMass-Fordham is on ESPN for Saturday.....

Distance from Bristol to Amherst - 69.49 miles
Distance from Bristol to Hot Hot Hot - 741.33 miles
Distance from Bristol to the sticks of Montana - 2463.05 miles

You think ESPN would lay out the coin to lug a crew to Missoula or Boone for a Saturday lowly FCS playoff game the Saturday after Thanksgiving??? You're seriously joking yourself then.

Hoboken Dukes
November 19th, 2007, 11:52 AM
they didn't seem to have a problem rolling 500 miles to youngstown ohio for the jmu/ysu sat. night game after thanksgiving last year......

The Moody1
November 19th, 2007, 11:53 AM

You think ESPN would lay out the coin to lug a crew to Missoula or Boone for a Saturday lowly FCS playoff game the Saturday after Thanksgiving??? You're seriously joking yourself then.

ESPNU did our game against lowly Western Carolina two weeks ago, so I don't think a first round play-off game would be a stretch. ESPNU televised our first round game against Coastal Carolina last year. I think they are shopping our game around to see if they can make some $ selling the rights.

Maroons
November 19th, 2007, 02:58 PM
JMU - AppState should be on TV... because I can't really see any other game garnering as much attention for the FCS.

The Moody1
November 19th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Game time has been set for 3:30. Hopefully, it will also be on TV.

GSUhooligan
November 19th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Another thing, College FB is not that popular in the NE. So the only people in the NE that would be interested in seeing that game will probably be at it. I really don't think the city of NY will shut down for Fordham, like one poster suggested and MA is a Pro state (unless you're a good BC team). On the flip side, you'll have a ton of folks in the south and mid west that will watch college football all day every day regardless of the level. Add into the mix the regional affiliation of an ASU-JMU, UNI-UNH, or Montana-WC game and I think the ratings will be much better. Not to mention that those 3 games would be great games whereas the UMASS-FU game was over around 3:30 EST yesterday.

RAMS83
November 19th, 2007, 03:48 PM
my point was it may be a money thing as far as sending ESPN crew out west - south etc.. when UMass is within an hour. Also your right about 1aa being more popular down south etc.. someone made a point about perhaps sponsors (the amount charged for commercials) could be more in the NYC - Boston, Ma market. If you think Fordham is a pushover your mistaken. In fact, UMass current Head Coach Don Brown "LOST" the last time he faced FU in the playoffs. (Northeastern 2002).

aceinthehole
November 19th, 2007, 03:49 PM

For those that may not be familiar with the broadcasting industry, ESPN does not roll the trucks out of Bristol for everything. They often contract with production companies for local trucks/equip on site. Any other editing/production is done remotley in Bristol.

LehighFan11
November 19th, 2007, 04:04 PM
What time and what espn station is carring the Fordham v. Umass game?

Hansel
November 19th, 2007, 04:07 PM
ESPN also showed the first round UNH-Colgate game a few years ago, I think they were more concerned with proximity than game appeal

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 19th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Obviously they should air the Montana/Wofford game live on every single television station and then replay it on all the stations 24/7 until the next Montana game. But they won't because everyone has a HUGE case of Griz Envy.

Personally, if I had to choose a game to put on TV for ESPN, it would be Montana-Wofford. And judging by the poll in the other thread, a lot of people agree with me.

But I guess that Delaware-Delaware State is an interesting story-book game and it is always interesting to see how MEAC teams match up with good non-MEAC teams.

89Hen
November 19th, 2007, 04:27 PM
BTW, can anyone confirm if the UD-DSU game will be in HD? The DelSt website says it will, but I have trouble believing that. xeyebrowx

KiddBrewer
November 19th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Game time has been set for 3:30. Hopefully, it will also be on TV.

whered ya hear that at? how for sure is it?

KiddBrewer
November 19th, 2007, 04:32 PM
BTW, can anyone confirm if the UD-DSU game will be in HD? The DelSt website says it will, but I have trouble believing that. xeyebrowx

it should be....pretty much every espn game is in HD now

mcveyrl
November 19th, 2007, 04:33 PM

HD broadcasts are a lot easier to produce now. I think ESPN shoots all their games in HD (not ESPNU games).

This really wasn't the confirmation you had asked for, but I think it leans strongly toward the fact...

RationalGriz
November 19th, 2007, 04:39 PM
My take is that unless you have a real interest in FCS football, you probably are not going to watch anyway. In that case, why not reward teams like Fordham and Delaware State with a chance to play on national tv. I will watch the games, as will most everyone that reads this message. Ronbo gets his kicks starting threads like this.

Syntax Error
November 19th, 2007, 04:49 PM
My take is that unless you have a real interest in FCS football, you probably are not going to watch anyway.I agree. I would rather mow the lawn, dice carrots, wash my hair, watch FBS and logrolling rather than watch a NCAA Division I football playoff game. Why waste my time with crappy non-D-I football?

89Hen
November 19th, 2007, 04:56 PM
HD broadcasts are a lot easier to produce now. I think ESPN shoots all their games in HD (not ESPNU games).

This really wasn't the confirmation you had asked for, but I think it leans strongly toward the fact...
Don't be too hard on yourself. It was a good answer. I do appreciate you trying. Your thoughtfulness is very sincere.

:p xthumbsupx

89Hen
November 19th, 2007, 04:57 PM
it should be....pretty much every espn game is in HD now
It's kinda good news bad news. The good news is it's fun to watch. The bad news is one HD game takes up half of my DVR. I'll have to clear some movies before Friday.

JoltinJoe
November 19th, 2007, 05:20 PM
I really don't think the city of NY will shut down for Fordham, like one poster suggested and MA is a Pro state (unless you're a good BC team). On the flip side, you'll have a ton of folks in the south and mid west that will watch college football all day every day regardless of the level. Add into the mix the regional affiliation of an ASU-JMU, UNI-UNH, or Montana-WC game and I think the ratings will be much better. Not to mention that those 3 games would be great games whereas the UMASS-FU game was over around 3:30 EST yesterday.

No one said "New York would shut down" for Fordham. On the other hand, there are 8.2 million people living in New York City and 18.7 million living in the New York metropolitan area. Since the New York media have been running a number of feature stories on Fordham recently, and the team has garnered a fair amount of attention lately, I suspect that ESPN feels it is likely to do better ratings wise with Fordham than some of the other games you mentioned.

furman94
November 19th, 2007, 06:06 PM
What Channel (ESPN ESPN2 ESPNU) and Time is DSU DU on Friday?

UDChE89
November 19th, 2007, 06:10 PM

Don't know where and when DSU/DU is.. but DSU/UD is on ESPN at 1:30

eddyg
November 19th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Here's a little ESPN clip on the tournament + del/del st. game

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3117907&categoryId=2564308

DSUrocks07
November 19th, 2007, 06:11 PM

1:30 on ESPN

EDIT-It's also supposed to be on ESPN360 as well

furman94
November 19th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Thanks, Ill be watching! (Go Hornets!)

APPST '93
November 19th, 2007, 07:23 PM

ESPNU is located in Charlotte...

90 miles from Boone!

JayJ79
November 19th, 2007, 08:53 PM
I really thought someone would broadcast the UNI-UNH matchup. The Sanders vs. Santos angle should have been enough. The Del game doesn't surprise me.

What really bugs me, is that ESPN are being [insert expletive]s about the broadcast rights about games that they're not even covering.

For instance, I was told that ESPN isn't allowing UNI to do their normal Sunday morning highlights show. xsmhx

proasu89
November 19th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Personally, if I had to choose a game to put on TV for ESPN, it would be Montana-Wofford. And judging by the poll in the other thread, a lot of people agree with me.
But I guess that Delaware-Delaware State is an interesting story-book game and it is always interesting to see how MEAC teams match up with good non-MEAC teams.

We couldn't vote the homer vote in that poll. I'm pretty sure all the ASU contingent sided w/ Woffordxrulesx xthumbsupx

unigriff
November 19th, 2007, 09:14 PM
im just waiting for ESPN to consistently call us NIU instead of UNI...