PDA

View Full Version : Shouldn't the committee follow the rules?

eaglesrthe1
November 18th, 2007, 07:22 PM
From the NCAA website, pg 12.

http://www.ncaa.org/library/handbooks/football/2007/2007_d1_football_handbook.pdf

Pairings
[Reference: Championship Structure (page 11) in this handbook and Bylaw 31.1.3 in the NCAA Manual.]
All pairings will be made by the Division I football committee. The following principles are applied when pairing teams:
1. The teams awarded the top four seeds are placed in the appropriate positions in the bracket (Nos. 1 and 4 in the upper half, and Nos. 2 and 3 in the lower half), and will be paired with teams that are in closest geographic proximity;
2. The remaining teams will be paired according to geographic proximity and placed in the bracket according to geographic proximity of the four pairings previously placed in the bracket.
3. Teams from the same conference will not be paired for first-round games;
4. Once the first-round pairings have been determined, there will be no adjustments to the bracket.

UNH to UNI- 1337 miles EKU, or any CCA team is closer
EWU to McNeese- 2584 miles ASU, Wofford, much closer
Wofford to Montana - 2328 miles Any team is closer
EIU to SIU - 159 miles check

xrulesx

siugrad99
November 18th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Get over it, SIU traveled to Delaware a few years back. Stuff happens.

Franks Tanks
November 18th, 2007, 07:26 PM

http://www.ncaa.org/library/handbooks/football/2007/2007_d1_football_handbook.pdf

xrulesx

Well they still have to avoid 1st round games with conference schools. Being that 5 CAA teams made the field things were pretty difficult. Montana and EWU are the only schools out West and they cant play each other. So wherever you send EWU or whoever you send to Montana it is a far trip.

Ronin
November 18th, 2007, 07:30 PM

xrulesx

Good point. But accountability is another matter.

89Hen
November 18th, 2007, 07:33 PM
They've been known to fudge the rules. The last two years they were actually pretty good, but in 2004 they didn't follow that one either. IMO, it doesn't really matter.

eaglesrthe1
November 18th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Get over it, SIU traveled to Delaware a few years back. Stuff happens.

What is "it" that I'm supposed to get over?

eaglesrthe1
November 18th, 2007, 07:40 PM
They've been known to fudge the rules. The last two years they were actually pretty good, but in 2004 they didn't follow that one either. IMO, it doesn't really matter.

Eh, rules... who needs'em?

eaglesrthe1
November 18th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Good point. But accountability is another matter.

Accountability is the whole point. It isn't subjective. This is actually the simplest of any of the rules to follow, and doesn't require any lengthy discussion.

eaglesrthe1
November 18th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Well they still have to avoid 1st round games with conference schools. Being that 5 CAA teams made the field things were pretty difficult. Montana and EWU are the only schools out West and they cant play each other. So wherever you send EWU or whoever you send to Montana it is a far trip.

True, and this should also be taken into context. It should be the closest non conference opponent to the seeded team. No questions about fairness, subjectivity, teams getting screwed, underhanded dealings on the pair ups, etc.

No brainer, just follow the rule every year consistantly, and it does away with any grounds for any of that type bitching. If you aren't going to follow the easiest one, then why follow any at all? This one is without a doubt the only one that is spelled out in concrete.

89Hen
November 18th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Eh, rules... who needs'em?
The reason I say it doesn't matter is there is only ONE champion and you should be able to beat all comers at any location.

I remember in 2003 how pissed SIU fans were that they had to come to UD, but in reality UD drew the shorter end by being a seed and hosting such a highly ranked team. We should have had one of the worst teams in the field. Turned out OK. xthumbsupx

appfan2008
November 18th, 2007, 08:52 PM
once on a plane you can go anywhere...

ASUMountaineer
November 18th, 2007, 09:05 PM
once on a plane you can go anywhere...

The only option would have been for EWU and Montana to play, and I don't think anyone would have wanted that.

McNeese75
November 18th, 2007, 09:42 PM
The only option would have been for EWU and Montana to play, and I don't think anyone would have wanted that.

xlolx Certainly not the Griz

Appguy
November 18th, 2007, 10:21 PM
According to the selection chair the distance didn't really matter for the Montana and Mcneese games since whoever they played would have to fly in.

VT Wildcat Fan53
November 18th, 2007, 11:48 PM
The only rule after giving the Top 4 Seeds is $$$$$. NCAA will offer home games to top 4 "guarantees" whenever possible. You should all know that by now. ESPN broadcasts (with bottom tier broadcast teams--to save more $$ ) only because contract with NCAA mandates that they do so)....

eaglesrthe1
November 19th, 2007, 08:52 AM
I have no problem with it being about the $$$$. It just should say so in the rules. Do away with the proximity rule and put one in that says, "after the top four seeds, the committee will do it as we damn well please".

Just be up honest about it. It chaps my ass when people think that they are fooling somebody with transparent fronts.xnonono2x

henfan
November 19th, 2007, 10:50 AM
I have no problem with it being about the $$$$. It just should say so in the rules. Do away with the proximity rule and put one in that says, "after the top four seeds, the committee will do it as we damn well please".

Just be up honest about it. It chaps my ass when people think that they are fooling somebody with transparent fronts.xnonono2x

Remember, the PSC has fiduciary responsiblity to its membership to pull off a playoff series that doesn't bleed red ink. That translates into as many bus trips as possible in the first round (UD-DSU, SIU-EIU, UMass-FU, and JMU-App), which is typically poorly attended anyway. As App fan said, a flight's a flight no matter the destination. Someone was flying to LC or Missoula, regardless.

There's enough flexibility in the guidelines to allow the PSC to do what they want in terms of bracketing and matchups. If you don't understand that basic fact by now, you have no one to blame but yourself.

BTW, how would you have bracketed teams? Instead of bellyaching needlessly, let's see a plan that would have made more sense competitively and financially. Some fans just don't understand the delicate balance the PCS is charged with striking.xnonono2x