PDA

View Full Version : Fordham @ Massachusetts

Pages : [1] 2

BigApp
November 18th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Discuss

Col Hogan
November 18th, 2007, 03:19 PM
I think the URI loss three weeks ago really woke up UMass...

The defense has sufficated the last two teams (UNH, which made the playoff field...and Hofstra)...and I'd expect Fordham to have its hands full when they travel to the Happy Valley...

THe UMass offense also has come to life...right time of year to finally get into gear...

Good Luck Fordham.....

Go UMass!!!!!!!

UMass922
November 18th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Agree with djp . . . the URI loss was indeed a wake-up call. Having outscored UNH and Hofstra 54-12 the past two weeks, there's no reason to think UMass shouldn't continue to play well against Fordham. Remember, though, that Lafayette kept last year's game in Amherst close for quite a while. The Patriot League always represents itself well in the playoffs, even in defeat. So I'm not looking past this one at all. UMass should win, though, as long as it stays focused, disciplined, and executes well.

RAMS83
November 18th, 2007, 03:42 PM
I understand UMass is favored and they should be. However, Fordham is a good squad and UMass would be foolish to look past the Rams. Fordham has a talented soph. in 6'5 220 QB John "El Passo" Skelton . (El Paso, TX hometown). The Rams run a spread attack 4 and5 wides and have athletic and fast receivers. The OL avg 6'3 300. Our defense is small but fast. I think Fordham can score points on UMass.. it'll come down to if our D can get stops , get a turnover or two and force FG's..

Fordham 31
UMass 30

Sam Adams
November 18th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Fordham is a good team. Massachusetts has recently gotten healthy up fronty and it shows. The Massachusetts OL and Defense have been controlling the game since the monsoon loss to URI. Fordham will definately be a good game and I'm looking forward to being there to watch. You just gotta love Playoff Football !!!!

DrG
November 18th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Having sweated through a couple of first-round barnburners vs. PL teams, I take nothing for granted. That said, I think this may be a good matchup for UMass. Fordham will have trouble going east-west on the UMass defense; we just have too much speed on the outside. We also are on the small side defensively and can be vulnerable up the middle. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Don Brown's Northeastern team lose to Fordham in the first round? He won't be looking past this one.

DFW HOYA
November 18th, 2007, 04:13 PM
this game is over before it's starts, UMASS blows them out!!thats not smack, these 2 teams are worlds apart, heck the confrences are worlds apart.

Of course that's smack. There are those who assume that no PL team should be allowed on the same field as a CAA school when, in fact, they tend to hold their own (a limited sample, of course, since many CAA teams don't schedule the PL in the regular season).

Seawolf97
November 18th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Will be rooting for the local team from NYC! I think it will be closer than some people thinkxnodx

Uncle Buck
November 18th, 2007, 05:22 PM
I wasn't as impressed with the UMass offense as much as the defense. I think UMass wins this game, but it will be the defense that does it IMO.

Minuteman87
November 18th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Don Brown was the head coach at Northeastern when the Huskies lost to Fordham in the first round a few years ago. He knows what PL teams can do. He'll have UMass prepared. I expect it will be like last year's game against Lafayette. The Rams will hang around for the first half, but UMass pulls away in the second. The Minutemen are healthier now than they have been since the beginning of the season. Plus Coen won't have food poisoning like he did against Hofstra. He literally "threw up" 4 TD passes against the Pride. ;)

GreatAppSt
November 18th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Fordham in the first round is this years AD gift to UMass donors.:D

EmeryZach
November 18th, 2007, 05:39 PM
We can't look past Fordham, they are a good team. We need to play hard to win this one. Also, the crowd will be weak because all of the students will be home for the thanksgiving break. Should be interesting. Don't know why they picked this one to be on ESPNU. I think there are more interesting matchups.

UMass922
November 18th, 2007, 06:25 PM
I wasn't as impressed with the UMass offense as much as the defense. I think UMass wins this game, but it will be the defense that does it IMO.

Agreed. Our offense is good, but generally we're not the kind of team that just bowls the opponent over with 21 points in the first quarter or something like that. Anyone expecting a 49-7 blowout is mistaken. I see something more like 27-10, if everything goes well. And don't be surprised if Fordham is within a score at the half (e.g., 10-3, 13-7).

Old Cage
November 18th, 2007, 06:51 PM

Starting with Lehigh in 1998 we only get Patriot League teams at home in the first round..

The gift will be when we don't.

UMass922
November 18th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Starting with Lehigh in 1998 we only get Patriot League teams at home in the first round..

The gift will be when we don't.

That was actually our second-round game in '98. The first-round game was at McNeese State.

Pards Rule
November 18th, 2007, 06:59 PM
UMASS is a potent team. They just got to keep focused on the task at hand. I so wanted to go to Amherst (for the first time since scouting colleges in 1979) last year but it was not meant to be.

Franks Tanks
November 18th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Agree with djp . . . the URI loss was indeed a wake-up call. Having outscored UNH and Hofstra 54-12 the past two weeks, there's no reason to think UMass shouldn't continue to play well against Fordham. Remember, though, that Lafayette kept last year's game in Amherst close for quite a while. The Patriot League always represents itself well in the playoffs, even in defeat. So I'm not looking past this one at all. UMass should win, though, as long as it stays focused, disciplined, and executes well.

This years Fordham team is better than last years Lafayette team--- especially on Offense. The Rams will put up some points and keep things close. UMASS should win but it will be battle.

TheValleyRaider
November 18th, 2007, 10:21 PM
I think the URI loss three weeks ago really woke up UMass...

The defense has sufficated the last two teams (UNH, which made the playoff field...and Hofstra)...and I'd expect Fordham to have its hands full when they travel to the Happy Valley...

THe UMass offense also has come to life...right time of year to finally get into gear...

Good Luck Fordham.....

Go UMass!!!!!!!

I would too, but a lot of teams have difficulty at Penn State :D :p

Fordham can put points on the board, and for a team as young as they are, the Rams will play to win, and will not be intimidated. Masella is the real deal as a coach, and will be ready for whatever UMass throws their way. Still, my initial instinct is to see the Minutemen prevail, but that's why they play the games

Cliche enough? xreadx xlolx

GO RAMS!! xhurrayx

McTailGator
November 18th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Discuss

Classic example of the need to seed all 16 teams.

GeeWiz
November 18th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Although UMass is a CAA brethren of NU, I grew up in the Bronx and around Fordham University, so I have to pull for the Rams in this one. I've spent a lot of my youth going to the Lombardi Ctr and Ram football and hoop games.

That being said, I don't see FU winning in Amherst. I think the Rams will keep it close because they have weapons on offense, but I'm not sure the Ram "D" can slow down Coen, Nelson, Lawrence and JJ Moore. Like I said the Rams can score but the UMass defense may bend a little but it never breaks.

So best of luck Rams - but if UMass wins I'll support UM from here on out! xthumbsupx

VT Wildcat Fan53
November 18th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Of course that's smack. There are those who assume that no PL team should be allowed on the same field as a CAA school when, in fact, they tend to hold their own (a limited sample, of course, since many CAA teams don't schedule the PL in the regular season).

You are correct. Fordham, specifically, is much better than most CAA fans realize. They have kids who can start for any team in the CAA (including sophomore OG, Reis, and others on offensive line). And, don't forget that Masella was a top UMASS Asst. before turning around Central CT and now Fordham in short order. Brown is a great coach, but his coaching tree is starting to sprout some stars, too! UMASS certainly is favored, but it should be a heck of a game (the upset loss to Bucknell notwithstanding--sort of like UMASS's "URI moment"). Good luck to both!

GreatAppSt
November 18th, 2007, 11:47 PM
Brought to by your friendly NCAA Selection Committee.:D

umassfan
November 19th, 2007, 12:19 AM
Brought to by your friendly NCAA Selection Committee.:D

Did you just realize that and post it on every thread ? xcoffeex

umassfan
November 19th, 2007, 12:19 AM
I really dont see UMass losing to a team who lost to Bucknell last week. Sorry.

TheValleyRaider
November 19th, 2007, 12:42 AM

I don't really see Fordham losing to a team that got beat by Rhode Island, a team the NY Rams beat. Sorry.

I like this game xrotatehx

UMass922
November 19th, 2007, 12:50 AM
I don't really see Fordham losing to a team that got beat by Rhode Island, a team the NY Rams beat. Sorry.

I cringed when I read umassfan's comment, because I saw this one coming from a mile away.

Anyway, I'm expecting a good game from Fordham. The Patriot League always represents itself well in the playoffs, win or lose. Lehigh nearly knocked us off in the second round in '98; they gave us a much better game than Georgia Southern did in Chattanooga two weeks later. And we all know what happened in '03.

umassfan
November 19th, 2007, 01:44 AM

Is hurricane Noel going to show up ? If not then there is no chance. Even if it does... this game will be played on turf and footing will be no issue. I expect a 21 point victory for the minutemen

Tribe4SF
November 19th, 2007, 02:55 AM

Hate to cosign with umassfan, but I'll be surprised if this is close. I was giving Fordham the benefit of the doubt until last week. Losing at home to Bucknell by two TDs is no way to go into the playoffs. Umass, on the other hand, gave up a total of 12 points to UNH and Hofstra combined in their last two games.

Now if someone wants to argue that Bucknell is actually a good team, I'm prepared to listen. .....anyone?....anyone?.....Bueller?

Actually, the one thing going for Fordham is that they are not at home. All of their losses came in the Bronx.

Flyer Gramps
November 19th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Here's hoping Fordham will give a good acount of themselves against UMass.

They looked good in the Sept. 31-24 home loss to the University of Dayton, but will need a bit more defense.

Meanwhile, need to brush up on the Albany team coming to Dayton for the Dec. 1 Gridiron Classic!

JoltinJoe
November 19th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Hate to cosign with umassfan, but I'll be surprised if this is close. I was giving Fordham the benefit of the doubt until last week. Losing at home to Bucknell by two TDs is no way to go into the playoffs. Umass, on the other hand, gave up a total of 12 points to UNH and Hofstra combined in their last two games.

Now if someone wants to argue that Bucknell is actually a good team, I'm prepared to listen. .....anyone?....anyone?.....Bueller?

Actually, the one thing going for Fordham is that they are not at home. All of their losses came in the Bronx.

No good young team has ever lost a trap game like that before. ;)

Fordham was already in the playoffs and had a week off to boot when Bucknell came to down.

The team which plays at UMass will be a different team.

EmeryZach
November 19th, 2007, 10:06 AM
The stadium is going to look empty with all the students home. On campus students aren't even allowed back in the dorms until Sunday. Ouch, going to be a poor attendance for the TV game.

Leo-Pard
November 19th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Gotta keep the pride in the PL.
Go Rams... maybe you can beat UMass where we couldn't quite get the job done last year.

Fordham
November 19th, 2007, 01:42 PM
so, anyone have a guess as to what the line's going to be?

DetroitFlyer
November 19th, 2007, 02:54 PM
I see the Rams winning this game.

jdb037
November 19th, 2007, 05:12 PM

I'm not gonna argue with you on the subject because you're right, we werent good this season. Regardless of that, we beat the best team this season in the Patriot League. Is Stanford good? No. They are 3-7 right now and beat the #2 team in the country at the time. This is the year of the upset so anything can happen.

Lets Go Rams!!!

umassfan
November 19th, 2007, 07:12 PM
I see the Rams winning this game.

Do you need glasses? xcoolx

saint0917
November 19th, 2007, 07:15 PM
so, anyone have a guess as to what the line's going to be?

I think the early Vegas line is Fordham getting 34 points.

Sam Adams
November 19th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Why do some fans think its so implausible that Fordham could pull an upset? UMass was upset by URI this season already and in 2003 UMass was upset by the Gate in the 1st Rd of the playoffs.

If Massachusetts doesn't take this game seriously they will get beat by Fordham. The same is pretty much true for any of the so-called favorites.

The Jets beat the Steelers yesterday.

TheValleyRaider
November 19th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Why do some fans think its so implausible that Fordham could pull an upset? UMass was upset by URI this season already and in 2003 UMass was upset by the Gate in the 1st Rd of the playoffs.

If Massachusetts doesn't take this game seriously they will get beat by Fordham. The same is pretty much true for any of the so-called favorites.

To be fair, most UMass fans here agree with you. It's the fans from elsewhere that are content to consider the Patriot League only a bunch of small nerdy guys, and UMass lucky to have a "first round bye"

UMass knows to respect the Patriot League. I have no doubt they will be ready for this one xnodx

It just may not be enough xsmiley_wix

umassfan
November 19th, 2007, 07:47 PM

The Jets beat the Steelers yesterday.

Was the colgate game or uri game at home? thats all I got to say.

Monarch History
November 19th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Should be closer than most expect, but I think UMass and their defense wins.xthumbsupx

OLPOP
November 19th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Both URI and Colgate were road games for Fordham. Only Holy Cross was at home.

umassfan
November 19th, 2007, 09:33 PM
I love how people also say Fordham will put points up on UMass... Something that both Hofstra and UNH couldnt do.

ngineer
November 19th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Fordham has a good team with some very talented athletes. Certainly UMass should be favored, but they had a good fight with Colgate, who lost to the Rams. Fordham is only a turnover or two from an upset.

umassfan
November 19th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Fordham has a good team with some very talented athletes. Certainly UMass should be favored, but they had a good fight with Colgate, who lost to the Rams. Fordham is only a turnover or two from an upset.

Id say about a 4 turnover advantage away from a upset

TheValleyRaider
November 19th, 2007, 10:21 PM

Is hurricane Noel going to show up ? If not then there is no chance. Even if it does... this game will be played on turf and footing will be no issue. I expect a 21 point victory for the minutemen

Id say about a 4 turnover advantage away from a upset

I love how people also say Fordham will put points up on UMass... Something that both Hofstra and UNH couldnt do.

Glad to see you're back, and in fine form as usual

ngineer
November 19th, 2007, 10:41 PM

And we didn't see UMass falling to Little Rhody either...;)

umassfan
November 20th, 2007, 12:20 AM

Sorry if I speak the truth... I said we would handle UNH we did... I said we would beat Hofstra by 21 and we won by 22. And now I say we will handle Fordham by 21....

umassfan
November 20th, 2007, 12:22 AM
And we didn't see UMass falling to Little Rhody either...;)

But then again who expected Hurricane Noel?

TheValleyRaider
November 20th, 2007, 12:23 AM
But then again who expected Hurricane Noel?

Yes, UMass and that nasty weather

UMass922
November 20th, 2007, 12:27 AM

Man, umassfan is just grooving them right down the middle for you . . .

umassfan
November 20th, 2007, 02:19 AM

You know no one can beat us except mother nature... give me a break

Fordham
November 20th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Sorry if I speak the truth... I said we would handle UNH we did... I said we would beat Hofstra by 21 and we won by 22. And now I say we will handle Fordham by 21 ....

Thanks for saying that we're better than Hofstra, Umassfan. xthumbsupx

WrenFGun
November 20th, 2007, 09:08 AM
I think, if all accounts are right, Fordham has a chance to be competitive in this game. While UMass has a different team than last season (I've been very impressed the last three times UNH has played them), they did struggle a bit in 2006 against UNH's spread offense. That said, UNH shot themselves in the foot and UMass made a wealth of huge plays. In 2007, UNH was moving the ball effortlessly and then Umass made an impressive pick in the endzone. If you make a mistake against UMass, they will KILL YOU. This team is well coached and absolutely loaded with talent. Fordham will have to be on top of their game to keep this one close.

Coen just doesn't make mistakes, really. It's gross.

colorless raider
November 20th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Coach Argast will come up with a brilliant game plan to lead the Rams to a close one over the Minutemen.:D

Lafayette71
November 20th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Was the colgate game or uri game at home? thats all I got to say.

Is there some huge Home field advantage for UMASS that I am unaware of? The fan base here in western MA is not exactly rabid, and the student body will be at least partially MIA. Maybe it's the time change from NYC to Amherst? I don't think there's much of an advantage for UMASS at McGurk.

I am hoping for a good game. I expect Fordham to be fired up. UMASS is the team that will struggle to keep their focus if they are looking ahead.

EmeryZach
November 20th, 2007, 12:16 PM
UMass students aren't even allowed back in the dorms until Sunday. So even if the students who live on campus want to come to the game they have no where to stay. Stupid.

umassfan
November 20th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Is there some huge Home field advantage for UMASS that I am unaware of? The fan base here in western MA is not exactly rabid, and the student body will be at least partially MIA. Maybe it's the time change from NYC to Amherst? I don't think there's much of an advantage for UMASS at McGurk.

I am hoping for a good game. I expect Fordham to be fired up. UMASS is the team that will struggle to keep their focus if they are looking ahead.

The team plays better at home... crowd or no crowd.

EmeryZach
November 20th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Yeah, it's not like the fans make any noise when they are there.

minuteman65
November 21st, 2007, 01:36 AM
Stupid indeed, I don't know why we HAVE to leave over Thanksgiving, but I digress... UMass's crowd usually isn't much of a factor, so it won't have much of an effect. This team is rolling, I can't wait for this game (or any of the others, for that matter).

Pards Rule
November 21st, 2007, 06:39 AM
Stupid indeed, I don't know why we HAVE to leave over Thanksgiving, but I digress... UMass's crowd usually isn't much of a factor, so it won't have much of an effect. This team is rolling, I can't wait for this game (or any of the others, for that matter).

MM65: Why is it the policy for you guys to have to leave?

colgate13
November 21st, 2007, 06:50 AM
UMass should win. But we of course play the game. If Fordham can stay in it, get a break with a turnover or two, they can win this one.

I actually see the Bucknell loss as a good thing for the Rams. I can only imagine how hard practice was this week. It will be much better IMO than if they blew the Bison out and were potentially over estimating their abilities.

Plus, Masella and Argast might be the X factors here. They will have a game plan ready.

Go Rams!

bkrownd
November 21st, 2007, 07:24 AM
MM65: Why is it the policy for you guys to have to leave?

No staff on campus to watch them.

Sam Adams
November 21st, 2007, 07:26 AM
Massachusetts has not lost a home game in over 2 years. Maybe you don't see that as a homefield advantage. The crowds have been getting steadily bigger and Massachusetts is averaging over 12K a game. Saturday may be a smaller crowd due to the holiday, but Fordham will have to play its best game of the season to have a chance.

Kymermosst
November 21st, 2007, 07:30 AM
The school closes the dorms at 6pm Wednesday and reopens them at 10am on Sunday, sadly.

And since most of our alumni already won't drive 2 hours across the state to see a game, students who have been out in Amherst for the past 3 months are even less likely to make a day trip just to drive back again Sunday morning.

I'd venture a guess that around 250 of the band members will be there at least, so we'll have that part going for us if nothing else.

Pards Rule
November 21st, 2007, 08:28 AM
Was this the case last year for the Lafayette game? I watched it on cable and it seemed there was a pretty good UMASS crowd. Not sure about the LC crowd cause it was on the same side as the cameras..

Fordham
November 21st, 2007, 08:35 AM
... but Fordham will have to play its best game of the season to have a chance. I don't think any rational Fordham fan would disagree with that. You guys are deservedly big favorites. The one thing I keep focusing on is how we've played our best in the biggest games this year. If we come out as crisp on both sides of the ball like we did v. Lafayette, I'll be very pleased and I think we'll surprise with how competitive we'll make it.

Perhaps most important, I think we'll all know fairly early in the game whether or not we came to play. In Skelton's best games, he's deadly accurate and will handle your heavy blitzes very well. In his worst games, the balls may sail a little high or he might buzz a short pass in that required touch. If he's on, we can make a game of it. If he's off, I don't see us turning into a smash mouth team like we did v. HC or Columbia to compensate.

By the way, my roommate said we've been practicing the shotgun all week and should really surprise UMASS when we unleash it on Saturday. xpeacex

ColgateTD
November 21st, 2007, 11:06 AM
Good luck Rams! Make the Patriot League proud...:D

RAMS83
November 21st, 2007, 11:55 AM
Thanks Gate. I hope we play well and do the PL conference justice. Due to the Thanksgiving weekend and students not on campus, I dont think the Rams will be intimidated by the crowd. In addition, both our school colors are maroon (so that doesnt hurt either) the "away" factor either.. lol..

Rams 31
UMass 30

Im allowed to dream.

umassfan
November 21st, 2007, 12:56 PM
Thanks Gate. I hope we play well and do the PL conference justice. Due to the Thanksgiving weekend and students not on campus, I dont think the Rams will be intimidated by the crowd. In addition, both our school colors are maroon (so that doesnt hurt either) the "away" factor either.. lol..

Rams 31
UMass 30

Im allowed to dream.

The crowd would not be an issue with or without the students. And Fordham will not be an issue either.

james_lawfirm
November 21st, 2007, 01:31 PM
Guys, I just read in another thread that this game gets to experience SoCon officiating. All I can suggest is about 20 Hail Marys and a swig of your favorite adult beverage prior to the game (and that's meant just for the fans). Coaches will need some sort of medication.

Good luck to all. And may the refs be completely invisible.

LehighFan11
November 21st, 2007, 01:37 PM
UMass should win. But we of course play the game. If Fordham can stay in it, get a break with a turnover or two, they can win this one.

I actually see the Bucknell loss as a good thing for the Rams. I can only imagine how hard practice was this week. It will be much better IMO than if they blew the Bison out and were potentially over estimating their abilities.

Plus, Masella and Argast might be the X factors here. They will have a game plan ready.

Go Rams!
I agree, I think the loss to Bucknell will only fire up Fordham. Coaches will get all over players about not being prepared and make sure they are 110% focused for this week. Also, I know most people say "no team will overlook anyteam in the playoffs no matter what." I think Umass will have enough more confidence v. Fordham and less respect. Fordham will come out more focused and fired up than Umass and give Umass one hell of a game for 3 quarters. Umass 21-17. Go Rams!

TheValleyRaider
November 21st, 2007, 11:29 PM
Guys, I just read in another thread that this game gets to experience SoCon officiating. All I can suggest is about 20 Hail Marys and a swig of your favorite adult beverage prior to the game (and that's meant just for the fans). Coaches will need some sort of medication.

Good luck to all. And may the refs be completely invisible.

Amen! xbowx

...on the other hand, one of UMass' weaknesses is their tendency to rack up the penalty yards xchinscratchx

Old Cage
November 23rd, 2007, 07:31 AM
BetUS.com has us a 20 point favorite. More than I would have guessed.

Col Hogan
November 23rd, 2007, 07:44 AM
Today's Boston Globe has a great profile on JJ Moore...

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/football/articles/2007/11/23/a_complicated_route/

JoltinJoe
November 23rd, 2007, 07:47 AM
Today's Boston Globe has a great profile on JJ Moore...

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/football/articles/2007/11/23/a_complicated_route/

Ok, Dave, how about another avatar wager?

You guys win, I go UMass for the duration of the Minutemen's stay in the playoffs.

If we win, you use a Fordham avatar.

Deal?

http://www.ecs.umass.edu/mie/smv/Umass.jpg v. http://stage.web.fordham.edu/images/athletics/ram_logo_w_name.gif

Col Hogan
November 23rd, 2007, 09:54 AM
Ok, Dave, how about another avatar wager?

You guys win, I go UMass for the duration of the Minutemen's stay in the playoffs.

If we win, you use a Fordham avatar.

Deal?

http://www.ecs.umass.edu/mie/smv/Umass.jpg v. http://stage.web.fordham.edu/images/athletics/ram_logo_w_name.gif

OK, but I feel like I'm stealing candy from a baby...xlolx :p

JoltinJoe
November 23rd, 2007, 10:02 AM
OK, but I feel like I'm stealing candy from a baby...xlolx :p

Maybe you're stealing candy, but I am not a baby.

I support my Rams.xthumbsupx

Col Hogan
November 23rd, 2007, 10:16 AM
Maybe you're stealing candy, but I am not a baby.

I support my Rams.xthumbsupx

Not implying...just using an old expression...:D :D

Good luck tomorrow.....xpeacex

JoltinJoe
November 23rd, 2007, 10:17 AM
Not implying...just using an old expression...:D :D

Good luck tomorrow.....xpeacex

You too. If you guys win, I'm on your bandwagon all the way to Chatanooga.xthumbsupx

Pard4Life
November 23rd, 2007, 10:19 AM
Go RAMS! I think Fordham has a better shot at the Minutemen than Lafayette had last year... mainly because I don't see UMass being as strong as last year. Skelton and his recieving corps are very potent and are probably one of the best they will see this year outside of Santos. I am reaching here... but Fordham 28, UMass 21... still no idea how the heck Bucknell won... but hopefully the Rams will be more focused this week..

But I think the upset of the day will be Delaware St. over Delaware. xrotatehx

Houndawg
November 23rd, 2007, 10:19 AM

:D Word. if this were a prizefight, it would have to go to Nigeria to get sanctioned.

JoltinJoe
November 23rd, 2007, 10:21 AM
:D Word. if this were a prizefight, it would have to go to Nigeria to get sanctioned.

Spare the nonsense and play the game.

I gurantee you Don Brown is not saying this or anything like this.

Umass74
November 23rd, 2007, 10:30 AM
Spare the nonsense and play the game.

I gurantee you Don Brown is not saying this or anything like this.

Joe:

First, you owe me many, many beers. I told you Masella would make the Rams a winner, but I thought it would take one more year. But still you owe me the beer. xlolx

And no the Minutemen are not taking the Rams lightly. Fordham beat Brown when he was at Northeastern and we lost to Colgate in the Blizzard Bowl.

No one from UMass will look beyond this game. We will need to play well to beat the Rams.

ColgateTD
November 23rd, 2007, 10:37 AM
If Skelton is on his game, watch out Minutemen!!

My turkey brain says Rams, 27-21....xthumbsupx

JoltinJoe
November 23rd, 2007, 10:47 AM
Joe:

First, you owe me many, many beers. I told you Masella would make the Rams a winner, but I thought it would take one more year. But still you owe me the beer. xlolx

I remember that. Yes, you did. :)

Until we meet in person, here's your beer.xprost2x xbeerchugx

umassfan
November 23rd, 2007, 11:08 AM
Go RAMS! I think Fordham has a better shot at the Minutemen than Lafayette had last year... mainly because I don't see UMass being as strong as last year. Skelton and his recieving corps are very potent and are probably one of the best they will see this year outside of Santos. I am reaching here... but Fordham 28, UMass 21... still no idea how the heck Bucknell won... but hopefully the Rams will be more focused this week..

I think you forget that UMass held Matt Ryan to his lowest passing total of the season. Our DBs(all returning next year) have grown to play well with each other now and are playing their best football of the season. Also lets see how Skelton does playing from his back. :D

Pards Rule
November 23rd, 2007, 02:52 PM

I watched the tape of last years game and LC was in it until 2:00 in the third when the questionable Dorsey turnover at LCs 28 led to UMASS taking a 28-14 lead with the short field. I still say UMASS but they cannot be looking ahead.

Col Hogan
November 23rd, 2007, 09:22 PM

If your prognostication of the Fordham/UMass game is as close as today's UD/DSU match...Look Out!!!

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 23rd, 2007, 09:34 PM
UMASS will win this one.........but will be closer than the UD-State game.

RadMann
November 23rd, 2007, 09:48 PM
I am pulling for the underdog in this one, but I don't see it happening.

umassfan
November 23rd, 2007, 10:00 PM
UMASS will win this one.........but will be closer than the UD-State game.

Not much closer...

Pards Rule
November 23rd, 2007, 10:12 PM
UMASSfan, your score prediction??

umassfan
November 23rd, 2007, 10:39 PM
UMASSfan, your score prediction??

Already on record that umass will win by 21

Pards Rule
November 23rd, 2007, 10:43 PM
OK, sorry missed that.

ASU
November 23rd, 2007, 11:07 PM
We can't look past Fordham, they are a good team. We need to play hard to win this one. Also, the crowd will be weak because all of the students will be home for the thanksgiving break. Should be interesting. Don't know why they picked this one to be on ESPNU. I think there are more interesting matchups.

You AD of course. Remember Black Sunday when :
A) the committee headed by your AD chose 5 CAA teams,
B) Gave UMass a can't hardly lose first round game, AND
C) ESPNU on top of that, when so many other games would have been better.
YOU know why. Pretty sorry way to try to win a NC. Maybe he was afraid of some students trying to burn down the campus or the town if they lost in the first round....xwhistlex

Pards Rule
November 23rd, 2007, 11:16 PM
Wow...a scintillating post..

TheValleyRaider
November 23rd, 2007, 11:31 PM
YOU know why. Pretty sorry way to try to win a NC. Maybe he was afraid of some students trying to burn down the campus or the town if they lost in the first round....xwhistlex

http://www.alwaysalittlebehindcraft.homestead.com/files/Whine__format_change_to_JPEG_High_Quality_.jpg xrolleyesx

umassfan
November 24th, 2007, 12:14 AM

You do know that any time UMass is talked about... our AD cannot be in the room... correct? If you dont know that then it just proves how clueless you are. Also its ESPNs choice which game they want to put on tv. Our AD has no choice in that matter. It looks like they picked a winner with the Del St UD game though.

Col Hogan
November 24th, 2007, 07:03 AM

SSDD...

Lafalumni29
November 24th, 2007, 07:05 AM
Has anyone discussed the 3 common opponents for these teams (HC, URI, Colgate)? Not that it means much, but Fordham has beaten all 3 common opponents while UMASS has only beaten 2 out of the 3.

Col Hogan
November 24th, 2007, 07:12 AM
Has anyone discussed the 3 common opponents for these teams (HC, URI, Colgate)? Not that it means much, but Fordham has beaten all 3 common opponents while UMASS has only beaten 2 out of the 3.

True...but if you consider the URI game an quirk as most do...then we're two for two.....

It was our wake-up game...I think it would have been better for Fordham if we had won it because in the two games since, against better competition (UNH and Hofstra) our defense has smothered both teams and the offense has gotten on track in a big way...

Besides, the weather for that URI game was also an anomaly...

JoltinJoe
November 24th, 2007, 07:44 AM

Have you ever seen Fordham play?

Franks Tanks
November 24th, 2007, 07:46 AM
You do know that any time UMass is talked about... our AD cannot be in the room... correct? If you dont know that then it just proves how clueless you are. Also its ESPNs choice which game they want to put on tv. Our AD has no choice in that matter. It looks like they picked a winner with the Del St UD game though.

Dude seriously the Raider was defending UMASS from an APP poster, then you attack him for doing so? Not sure you are capale of following what is being discussed here.

Col Hogan
November 24th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Dude seriously the Raider was defending UMASS from an APP poster, then you attack him for doing so? Not sure you are capale of following what is being discussed here.

Tanks, umassfan was quoting ASU, not the Raider...follow the arrow...

Lehigh Football Nation
November 24th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Question:

Is the *only* way to watch this game is on ESPNU?

We don't have it here, and I would prefer to watch it here on the internet. Is there some sort of workaround?

Umass74
November 24th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Question:

Is the *only* way to watch this game is on ESPNU?

We don't have it here, and I would prefer to watch it here on the internet. Is there some sort of workaround?

No. AFAIK, no video feed from either school. Not on ESPN360.

Col Hogan
November 24th, 2007, 08:41 AM
No. AFAIK, no video feed from either school. Not on ESPN360.

That's why I'm off to the local sports pub about 11:45 to watch it on ESPNU...They will give me one of the smaller screens since this is not "major" college football (their words, not mine...)

So, if anybody is on the south side of DC or Northern VA and would like to join me...I'll provide directions and buy the first round...

JoltinJoe
November 24th, 2007, 08:42 AM
ESPNU programming often streams for free on this site:

http://www.channelsurfing.net/

Unfortunately I don't see the Fordham/UMass game listed for today but I'm going to keep checking back.

Col Hogan
November 24th, 2007, 08:45 AM
ESPNU programming often streams for free on this site:

http://www.channelsurfing.net/

Unfortunately I don't see the Fordham/UMass game listed for today but I'm going to keep checking back.

Go to ESPN main page...top right is TV Listings...

UMass Fordham shows up under ESPNU xpeacex

JoltinJoe
November 24th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Go to ESPN main page...top right is TV Listings...

UMass Fordham shows up under ESPNU xpeacex

Do you mean that ESPNU streams on the ESPN site?

What I was saying is that the Fordham/UMass ESPNU stream is not showing up on the channelsurfing.net site as of right now.

Col Hogan
November 24th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Do you mean that ESPNU streams on the ESPN site?

What I was saying is that the Fordham/UMass ESPNU stream is not showing up on the channelsurfing.net site as of right now.

Now I understand your question...I don't know about channelsurfing.net...that's why I'm going to a sports pub that has access to ESPNU...I'm not taking a chance...

Henwatcher
November 24th, 2007, 09:34 AM
UMass is as talented as any team in the playoffs and I wouldn't be surprised to see them win it all. No disrespect for Fordham intended, but this game should be a blowout. I just can't see fordham scoring much on a very good UMass "D" or holding down Coen, Lawrence and co. UMass by a whole bunch.

RAMS83
November 24th, 2007, 09:41 AM
I think Fordham will be able to score points. We have some talented O players. Im much more concerned about Fordham's D slowing Umass down. Anyway check it out on ESPNU and will find out soon.

Fordham 31
UMass 30

Pards Rule
November 24th, 2007, 10:57 AM
LFN is CN8 showing it??

EmeryZach
November 24th, 2007, 11:09 AM
I wish that channelsurfing site worked

LehighFan11
November 24th, 2007, 11:11 AM
6-0 umass

EmeryZach
November 24th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Touchdown UMass. UMass 7-0

Col Hogan
November 24th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Great first series...Coen passing, Lawrence running...

UMass 7. Fordham. 0

bodoyle
November 24th, 2007, 11:15 AM
The place isn't even full. xrolleyesx

umassfan
November 24th, 2007, 11:18 AM

Dude you are seeing the away side... its after thanksgiving... and the stadium is never full.

Purple For Life
November 24th, 2007, 11:19 AM

Sad!

EmeryZach
November 24th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Oh calm down. They don't let the students back on campus until tomorrow, so obvioulsy there are no students there.

dgreco
November 24th, 2007, 11:24 AM
very defensive fans.

LehighFan11
November 24th, 2007, 11:27 AM
so much for fordham 13-0

EmeryZach
November 24th, 2007, 11:27 AM
I knew it would be coming, but what can you do on the saturday of thanksgiving break, students go home and aren't going to come back early. And I am sure the home side is full with all of the local fans.

14-0 UMASS anyways

Pards Rule
November 24th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Yikes!

bodoyle
November 24th, 2007, 11:38 AM
I still dont understand why it isnt full. It's a playoff football game.

When we played appy last year on this day, both sides were full. App's students were there and we traveled to the game.

turfdoc
November 24th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Wow Ballsy

EmeryZach
November 24th, 2007, 11:40 AM
wow, fake punt for fordham

strike00
November 24th, 2007, 11:40 AM
I like it! could have really backfired though

umassfan
November 24th, 2007, 11:41 AM

When we played appy last year on this day, both sides were full. App's students were there and we traveled to the game.

They just arent. We dont sell out usually so why would we for a playoff game when the students are out of town. If they come back today... there arent much places to stay and they arent likely to come back to Amherst two days in a row.

EmeryZach
November 24th, 2007, 11:41 AM

When we played appy last year on this day, both sides were full. App's students were there and we traveled to the game

UMass students aren't allowed back on campus till sunday, they lock the doors. Where would the students stay? That takes away about 3,000 fans

EmeryZach
November 24th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Fordham is about to score

patssle
Why is this anything new? Since when has attendance been great on Thanksgiving week?

strike00
TD Fordham!

EmeryZach
November 24th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Fordham scores. I hate fake punts. Won't happen again.

bodoyle
November 24th, 2007, 11:43 AM
14-7

TCisMYhero
November 24th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Does UMass only have one CD with "Soulja Boy" burned 18 times on it or what???

WrenFGun
November 24th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Nice job Fordham! Way to show some guts!

EmeryZach
November 24th, 2007, 11:47 AM

They play it before kickoffs

patssle
November 24th, 2007, 11:47 AM

superman that ho?

EmeryZach
November 24th, 2007, 11:50 AM
going for it on 4th, and nope. they just tried to get them offsides. punt

EmeryZach
November 24th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Fordham with a 4th and 2. Going for it.
Now they are going to punt. Wise decision. They downed the punt on the 3

EmeryZach
November 24th, 2007, 12:00 PM
UMass 38 yard pass from Coen to Moore

Pards Rule
November 24th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Ouch..big hurt for the Rams

DuckDuckGriz
November 24th, 2007, 12:02 PM
superman that ho?

don't forget to supersoak her first

EmeryZach
November 24th, 2007, 12:03 PM
UMass at the Fordham 24. Coen is passing it like crazy

Pards Rule
November 24th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Any updates - cat got your mouse??

EmeryZach
November 24th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Touchdown UMass 21-7. Diving catch by Rancher.

Pards Rule
November 24th, 2007, 12:07 PM
thx Emery

Pards Rule
November 24th, 2007, 12:07 PM
I dont get ESPNU so this is the only way to "watch" the game!

Pards Rule
November 24th, 2007, 12:08 PM
GRRRRRRRRR...last year CN8 showed UMASS-Lafayette and this year some basketball game!

EmeryZach
November 24th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Yeah I don't get ESPNU either. Got the UMass radio on. I'm one of the horrible fans who didn't go back to school early for the game.

WrenFGun
November 24th, 2007, 12:14 PM
PI against UMass...Fordham at UMass 49. 2nd down and 10.

EmeryZach
November 24th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Fordham is moving the ball a little bit. Ball at UMass 49

WrenFGun
November 24th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Almost a must score here for Fordham...cannot afford to go into the half down 14...tough incompletion on 2nd and 10, it'll be 3rd and 10..

WrenFGun
November 24th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Ugh, Fordham QB overthrows his WR, they'll have to punt.

EmeryZach
November 24th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Fordham just missed a home run pass. Punting now. Touchback

chrebet87
November 24th, 2007, 12:16 PM
fordham had a man wide open down the side but he was overthrown, would have been a TD, fordham punt

igo4uni
November 24th, 2007, 12:17 PM
how much time left?

EmeryZach
November 24th, 2007, 12:20 PM
5:05 in the 2nd UMass 21-7.

UMass punting.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 24th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Dropped INT by Sam Orah... UGH... though, UMass punt possibility

strike00
November 24th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Blocked punt!

Lehigh Football Nation
BLOCKED PUNT...

EmeryZach
Fordham blocked it, Fordham ball at the 30.

Arnold needs to punt the ball faster

LehighFan11
November 24th, 2007, 12:22 PM
huge block...need a td here

EmeryZach
November 24th, 2007, 12:23 PM
4th down, 4:09 to go. Go for it?

strike00
November 24th, 2007, 12:23 PM
huge conversion on 4th and 9 for Fordham

EmeryZach
November 24th, 2007, 12:24 PM
They got the first down. Fordham has the ball on the 8. Mistakes killing UMass

Lehigh Football Nation
November 24th, 2007, 12:24 PM
WOW Huge 4th down conversion, 1st and goal from the 7

WrenFGun
November 24th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Let's go Fordham! TD FORDHAM!!!!!! 21-13 PAT PENDING! Nice job! This team sure is resilient! UMass is letting them hang around.

EmeryZach
Fordham touchdown

chrebet87
Fordham keeps fighting, cuts the lead to one TD

WrenFGun
What guts for Fordham...fourth down conversion, fake punt, nice to see. They're not re-signed to just trying to keep this one respectable.

Let's see if UMass can drive down and get a score, plenty of time.

LehighFan11
November 24th, 2007, 12:26 PM
LETS GO FORDHAM

EmeryZach
November 24th, 2007, 12:26 PM
If UMass can stop the mistakes they'll win this one

Lehigh Football Nation
November 24th, 2007, 12:27 PM
I'm not saying Fordham will win, but I will say this: it is NOT a good idea for UMass to let Fordham hang around. Ask Lehigh, Colgate, Holy Cross, Lafayette...

EmeryZach
November 24th, 2007, 12:28 PM
UMass just got a big return

WrenFGun
Terrible kick by Fordham, UMass with the ball at Fordham's 41.

WrenFGun
I see. Touchdown Rasheed Rancher. That was quick, and devastating.

EmeryZach
Touchdown Rancher!!!

chrebet87
November 24th, 2007, 12:29 PM
speed kills

LehighFan11
someone tackle

strike00
nice quick TD for UMASS

EmeryZach
28-14

EmeryZach
November 24th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Now lets see if UMass can stop making mistakes and put this one away

chrebet87
November 24th, 2007, 12:35 PM
big umass fumble

strike00
Huge break for Fordham. Wow

EmeryZach
1:13 left in the 2nd. Wo! ground caused the fumble!! That is BS

WrenFGun
Huge FUMBLE BY UMASS! UNSPORTSMANLIKE ON UMASS! Fordham with the ball on UMASS 20!!!

Pards Rule
November 24th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Where is ball?

strike00
15 yard penalty on UMass on top of that.

WrenFGun
Umass announcers think that the ball was out before he hit the ground! Probably the right call! Big penalty!

EmeryZach
plus the penalty. now fordham has the ball at the 20. Wow, like I said, UMass mistakes keeping Fordham in the game

EmeryZach
November 24th, 2007, 12:37 PM
sack

Pards Rule
November 24th, 2007, 12:37 PM
WOW - LC was down 7 at half last year...Deja vu?

DuckDuckGriz
November 24th, 2007, 12:38 PM
That is true. UMass is killing UMass.

chrebet87
clutch pass to the 1 for fordham, 5 seconds left

LehighFan11
WOW WHAT A CATCH....qb sneak cmon

strike00
November 24th, 2007, 12:39 PM
1st and goal at the 1. 5 seconds left. What do you do?

LehighFan11
got to go for it

EmeryZach
Fordham caught ball at 2. gonna go for the FG or touchdown?

WrenFGun
Ball down the 1 with :03 left, Fordham calls timeout. Do they go for it here? I think you have to go for this, this is probably the game!

strike00
TD!

WrenFGun
They're going for it!

chrebet87
touchdown fordham

EmeryZach
damn. this isn't fun anymore.

LehighFan11
November 24th, 2007, 12:40 PM
awesome 28 21 at half

WrenFGun
TOUCHDOWN FORDHAM!!!! WHOOOOO!!! WHAT A FIRST HALF WAY TO GO FORDHAM!

strike00
Wow...great ending to the half.

EmeryZach
November 24th, 2007, 12:41 PM
28-21. crowd booing the refs. Don Brown yelling at the refs. Coach Brown is angry on the radio interview. Sounds like the players are going to get it during the half.

Pards Rule
November 24th, 2007, 12:42 PM
It is deja vu!! We came back strong after being down 21-0 to go to locker at half down 21-14. Two TDs late in 2nd quarter off of UMASS miscues - intercept and fumble recovery on the ensuing kickoff.

EmeryZach
November 24th, 2007, 12:43 PM
You know what is funny, Fordham has 21 points but the UMass defense is actually playing really good.

JoltinJoe
November 24th, 2007, 12:45 PM
We're using all our guile to stay i n this game. UMass is everything I expected.

I'm here at applebee's with my five-year-old but he's running out of steam. Is this game streaming anywhere?

EmeryZach
November 24th, 2007, 12:46 PM
nope

Dane96
November 24th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Joe...good luck in the second half.....GO RAMS (sorry...to the UMASS fans...have to go with the team Albany played this year)!

EmeryZach
November 24th, 2007, 12:57 PM
If UMass can just stop the turnovers and mistakes they'll win. I'll give Fordham credit though they are playing really ballsy. They are giving it everything

DC 'gater
November 24th, 2007, 01:00 PM
We're using all our guile to stay i n this game. UMass is everything I expected.

I'm here at applebee's with my five-year-old but he's running out of steam. Is this game streaming anywhere?

http://www.wrnx.com/pages/listenlive.html

EmeryZach
November 24th, 2007, 01:02 PM
here we go for the second half

FCS Preview
November 24th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Coen, 16-24, 306 yds, 3 TD in the first half alone...

Tod
November 24th, 2007, 01:03 PM
I just got up. What a game! Good luck to both teams/fans in the second half. xnodx xnodx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

EmeryZach
November 24th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Fordham ball on their 30

FCS Preview
November 24th, 2007, 01:04 PM
here we go for the second half
Fordham has it

FCS Preview
November 24th, 2007, 01:05 PM
FU to the UMass 31 yd line

EmeryZach
If Fordham scores on this drive the game will be very interesting

FCS Preview
6 yd completion

FCS Preview
November 24th, 2007, 01:06 PM
1st down, FU at UMass 20

EmeryZach
November 24th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Fordham on the 23 yard line driving the ball. oh man

FCS Preview
November 24th, 2007, 01:07 PM
TOUCHDOWN FORDHAM

28-27, PAT pending

EmeryZach
this is trouble. Wow, this is UMass at its worst

dgreco
fordham making some noise.

FCS Preview
Tie score, 28-28

12:30 to go in 3rd

WrenFGun
November 24th, 2007, 01:08 PM
TOUCHDOWN FORDHAM! WHAT AN EFFORT!

DC 'gater
impressive opening drive for FU.

chrebet87
Glad to see the patriot league champs turning some heads

strike00
November 24th, 2007, 01:09 PM
beautiful drive by Fordham

LehighFan11
Huge momentum swing...GO FORDHAM...if only they could cover umass's wrs

FCS Preview
Minutemen need to score here to swing momentum back

EmeryZach
November 24th, 2007, 01:11 PM
UMass has to score on this drive or they are going to lose this game. Just my opinion.

NovaHater
November 24th, 2007, 01:13 PM
C'mon UMASS, get your head out of your "arse".

Fordham has definitely picked up the intensity, time for UMASS to do the same.

Dblue
November 24th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Why is UMass using Delaware's defense today?

FCS Preview
November 24th, 2007, 01:15 PM
TOUCHDOWN MASSACHUSETTS!

34 Yd TD Pass

EmeryZach
November 24th, 2007, 01:16 PM
UMass pass defense has been bad all year.

EmeryZach
Nice score, needed that. 4th td pass for Coen. 35-28 UMass

FCS Preview
PAT good

35-28, Massachusetts

FCS Preview
November 24th, 2007, 01:17 PM
In the other game, CAA on top of SoCon...JMU 20, App State 19

AppMountaineer13
November 24th, 2007, 01:17 PM
I'm impressed with how well Fordham has played so far. I think this will come down to who has the ball last (although I'm sure everyone else has said that earlier in the thread).

FCS Preview
November 24th, 2007, 01:18 PM
9:05 to go in the 3rd

FCS Preview
November 24th, 2007, 01:19 PM
FU takes over at their own 26