PDA

View Full Version : Question for all astute fans

WVAPPmountaineer
November 18th, 2007, 07:47 AM
SITUATION - APP punts to UTC - UTC punt returner receives the punt and just as he tries to start a return (there were APP players around him) the ref blows his whistle
WHAT HAPPENED - One ref blew an inadvertent whistle thinking the UTC player had signaled a fair catch (he did not signal a fair catch) -
WHAT WAS THE RULING? - The "amazing" SoCon refs made a ruling I have never seen in 50+ years of watching football --- THAT BECAUSE OF THE REF MISTAKE THAT UTC HAD THE OPTION OF TAKING THE BALL WHERE IT WAS CAUGHT OR THEY COULD CHOOSE TO DO THE ENTIRE PLAY ALL OVER AGAIN - A "DO-OVER"
QUESTION - Now I have seen inadvertent whistles before but have never seen the team be given the option of doing the entire play over --- HAVE ANY OF YOU?

appfan2008
November 18th, 2007, 07:50 AM
I thought that was really wierd yesterday as well... i couldnt believe that that was the ruling... but that is what we get here in the socon

back2back
November 18th, 2007, 07:54 AM
The offensive team has that option. Most times an inadvertent whistle is when the offense is moving the ball, most teams thus take the result of the play and put the ball where it was at the time. The official was doing a good job explaining the rule, most fans don't know it. Don't bash SOCON refs, wish we could have them for the playoffs.

proasu89
November 18th, 2007, 08:17 AM
The offensive team has that option. Most times an inadvertent whistle is when the offense is moving the ball, most teams thus take the result of the play and put the ball where it was at the time. The official was doing a good job explaining the rule, most fans don't know it. Don't bash SOCON refs, wish we could have them for the playoffs.
xeyebrowx

catamount man
November 18th, 2007, 08:24 AM
At least you guys didn't have Ed Rhodes and his bunch officiating your game. No offense to Furman, because they drilled us, but a roughing the punter was called against WCU in the 1st quarter when it was clear to anyone, including Stevie Wonder, that the ball was partially blocked.

My goodness, you could HEAR it in the stands and with the way the ball sailed, it was a no brainer, but not to Ed Rhodes who clearly stated "the ball was not touched" to the crowd.

This crew should have their officiating licenses revoked and Don Lucas should've employ better officials. Not bitter, because in the end it didn't matter, but sheesh. MAJOR SCREWUP! But again, it's SoCon officials. Should we expect anything different?

asufan87
November 18th, 2007, 08:26 AM
[/SIZE]
xeyebrowx

I agree. Socon officials still haven't recognized what offensive holding is. I've seen more holding no calls this year than I've ever seen before. Pretty blatant stuff too, yet the flag stays in the pocket.

ButlerGSU
November 18th, 2007, 08:28 AM
What an example of how terrible SoCon refs are? It can't be! xrotatehx xrotatehx

WVAPPmountaineer
November 18th, 2007, 09:12 AM

So if I understand you correctly, you have seen this option presented before during a live game? - Also, I must respectfully disagree with your assessment of SoCon refs - To me, this is the worst season of officiating I have ever seen - I have seen SoCon games where I didn't care who won (i.e. GSU-Elon) where some of the calls were beyond reasonable belief

PantherRob82
November 18th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Now I have seen inadvertent whistles before but have never seen the team be given the option of doing the entire play over --- HAVE ANY OF YOU?

yes.

gophoenix
November 18th, 2007, 09:57 AM
I thought that was really wierd yesterday as well... i couldnt believe that that was the ruling... but that is what we get here in the socon

This happened 3 times in our game too, and I couldn't figure out what was going on.

We had a combination of NEC and Big South refs today guys. Let me say one thing, they made SoCon refs look like they were the greatest thing on Earth.

WVAPPmountaineer
November 18th, 2007, 10:08 AM
For PantherRob --- what it the same type sceranio or what did the situation you saw involve?

appsfan
November 18th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Well, I guess you learn something everyday. I with you WVAPP, in all of the college games i have seen in person and on TV, I have never seen a "do over." I always thought the ball was dead and spotted where it was when the whistle was blown.xconfusedx