PDA

View Full Version : The Idea of Spring Exhibition Games in the FCS?

bonarae
April 6th, 2023, 05:32 PM
Another opinion piece, but timely...

https://herosports.com/fcs-fbs-spring-exhibitions-idea-zmzm/

DFW HOYA
April 6th, 2023, 05:44 PM
Three different issues at play:

1. Should FCS schools host spring exhibition games? Depends on the school. North Dakota State would et 15000+ no matter who shows up. Conversely, no one is coming in 40 degree weather to see Bucknell play Robert Morris.

2. Is spring scheduling the only opportunity to play FBS schools? Not now, but the scenario exists where P3 opponents will begin to fill its schedules only with other P3 teams., That not only shuts out FCS schools but G5 as well. How many FCS schools depend on these games? Some, but "depend" is in the eyes of the beholder.

3. Is FCS being phased out? An argument all its own. It's not going away, but is so poorly marketed that one can make the claim that it is less popular across the board than it was in prior years. As far as casual interest, it's all at the P3 level now.

NY Crusader 2010
April 6th, 2023, 06:09 PM
Three different issues at play:

1. Should FCS schools host spring exhibition games? Depends on the school. North Dakota State would et 15000+ no matter who shows up. Conversely, no one is coming in 40 degree weather to see Bucknell play Robert Morris.

2. Is spring scheduling the only opportunity to play FBS schools? Not now, but the scenario exists where P3 opponents will begin to fill its schedules only with other P3 teams., That not only shuts out FCS schools but G5 as well. How many FCS schools depend on these games? Some, but "depend" is in the eyes of the beholder.

3. Is FCS being phased out? An argument all its own. It's not going away, but is so poorly marketed that one can make the claim that it is less popular across the board than it was in prior years. As far as casual interest, it's all at the P3 level now.

No one is coming out to watch that game in any weather.

caribbeanhen
April 6th, 2023, 06:36 PM
No one is coming out to watch that game in any weather.

Touché… maybe some parents and grandfathers

ElCid
April 7th, 2023, 03:59 PM
Not to keen on it, but you got to like the lead picture though.

Bisonoline
April 7th, 2023, 06:56 PM
I have no interest in watching FB in the spring. Be it NFL, FBS or FCS.

Libertine
April 11th, 2023, 10:41 AM
All of this is irrelevant. I don't care what Hugh Freeze says (anymore), you will never get the bulk of college football coaches on board with spring football exhibition games. Fans, athletic admins, and media might feel differently, but the vast majority of football coaches would rather gnaw off their own pinkie toes than do spring exhibition games.

AmsterBison
April 12th, 2023, 08:44 AM
I have no interest in watching FB in the spring. Be it NFL, FBS or FCS.

Let's not get crazy here... I watch a rotation of Bison replays when its not football season. That said, I'd choose a Bison replay over a Bison exhibition game.

NY Crusader 2010
April 12th, 2023, 10:19 AM
This idea would only work when exhibition games were hosted by a handful of blue blood FBS programs -- Michigan, Ohio State, Texas, Nebraska, Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma. These are the programs that sell out their spring games, or at least come close to doing so. Wouldn't make sense really anywhere else.

Navy-Delaware in April would maybe draw 10K tops, but sells out in early September. Holy Cross-BC in the spring would draw flies but will draw 30-35K in the fall.

nodak651
April 12th, 2023, 11:09 AM
Seems like a great way for a good FCS team to get all of it's top players poached right before fall camp starts.

JALMOND
April 13th, 2023, 01:04 PM
Portland State's Bruce Barnum all for it. Oregon Ducks' coach Dan Lanning also in favor of it.

https://www.oregonlive.com/vikings/2023/04/portland-states-bruce-barnum-all-in-100-on-playing-future-spring-games-vs-oregon-ducks-oregon-state-beavers.html

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2023/04/dan-lanning-not-opposed-to-oregon-ducks-playing-future-spring-games-against-another-team.html

Libertine
April 13th, 2023, 01:29 PM
... Oregon Ducks' coach Dan Lanning also in favor of it.
https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2023/04/dan-lanning-not-opposed-to-oregon-ducks-playing-future-spring-games-against-another-team.html

I'm just going to point out that, in the article, Lanning says he's "not opposed to it" and then outlines multiple reasons why he probably wouldn't want to do it.