PDA

View Full Version : Delaware....

DSUrocks07
November 17th, 2007, 11:38 PM
Seriously?? :(

Ya'll really don't want to play us huh?

Tribe4SF
November 17th, 2007, 11:42 PM
Many UD fans have sort of painted themselves into a corner regarding DSU. I think most of them will love this game, though. What's not to like about a first ever meeting in the NCAA playoffs? It will also guarantee that they exceed their bid.

If it weren't for VA State high school playoffs, I would go to Newark for this game.

UDChE89
November 17th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Hate to say it.. but as a former UD grad who didn't come from DE, I don't care about the game.. even living here in Dover, I don't care about the game.. it's just another game on the schedule.. we're not rivals in any sport (though we do play each other) so this attempt to schedule the game is an attempt to artificially create a rivalry

Tribe4SF
November 17th, 2007, 11:48 PM
Hate to say it.. but as a former UD grad who didn't come from DE, I don't care about the game.. even living here in Dover, I don't care about the game.. it's just another game on the schedule.. we're not rivals in any sport (though we do play each other) so this attempt to schedule the game is an attempt to artificially create a rivalry

I rest my case.xrolleyesx

DSUrocks07
November 17th, 2007, 11:52 PM

My only question is why not tho. UD played Albany and Monmouth this season, and many UD fans say that we're "not worthy" of playing the Blue Hens xcoffeex. Plus no one said that it would be a "rivalry" in the sense of what you have with 'Nova. He!! SCST played South Carolina this season, and no one is expecting it to all of a sudden being this huge rivalry in college football...remember its just a game

DSUHornet
November 17th, 2007, 11:59 PM

and thats crazy. the only people i hear that say they dont care about the game are those of(or formerly of) UD. i still hear everyone i know affiliated with DSU cheering for the game, and alot of UD people who want the game as well. no one said anything about a rivalry, we just want the game(s) to be played. and i assure you, it wont be "just another game on the schedule" for either team.

RadMann
November 18th, 2007, 12:00 AM
Agreed, people from outside of the region don't get this aspect. The DSU students, at least back when I lived in Delaware looked at other rival primarily black schools as their peers, rivals, bragging rights opponents, etc. I got this info from people I had met who attended DSU over the years. There was never and is not a connection or rivalry between DSU and UD. That's just the way it is. The recent press-driven push for a game is all about politics, ratings and creating a controversy where there is none. On the flip side of the coin, there is little pent up demand for a game or rivalry from the UD side either. All that said, a game would be fun, but the best rivalries are between institutions that share a lot of common characteristics. UD and DSU don't share much in common other than geographic proximity. They are dissimilar institutions in terms of demographics, culture, conferences, etc. That's not saying one is "better", just that they are different and they do not intersect much. I'm rooting for the Hornets this year in the playoffs (in all games except one with UD in the unlikely event UD meets them in the playoffs).

UDChE89
November 18th, 2007, 12:01 AM
I don't care for Albany, Monmouth, OR West Chester. I'd rather see us play Georgia Southern again and I'm looking forward to Furman (revenge for '88). I'd rather see us challenge ourselves against other competition instead of the patsies, but I understand the reason for them. DSU doesn't have that history yet, but Lavan seems to have them on the path (and he'd get my vote for the Eddie Robinson award for what he's done over the past four years).

DSUrocks07
November 18th, 2007, 12:05 AM
Agreed, people from outside of the region don't get this aspect. The DSU students, at least back when I lived in Delaware looked at other rival primarily black schools as their peers, rivals, bragging rights opponents, etc. I got this info from people I had met who attended DSU over the years. There was never and is not a connection or rivalry between DSU and UD. That's just the way it is. The recent press-driven push for a game is all about politics, ratings and creating a controversy where there is none. On the flip side of the coin, there is little pent up demand for a game or rivalry from the UD side either. All that said, a game would be fun, but the best rivalries are between institutions that share a lot of common characteristics. UD and DSU don't share much in common other than geographic proximity. They are dissimilar institutions in terms of demographics, culture, conferences, etc. That's not saying one is "better", just that they are different and they do not intersect much. I'm rooting for the Hornets this year in the playoffs (in all games except one with UD in the unlikely event UD meets them in the playoffs).

Exactly, this isn't the Civil Rights Movement...its just a damn game. I'll never understand why or how some people seem to get so bent out of shape about it xnonono2x

besides another thing I'm hearing is that it would kill UD's SOS to play us...in what specific way would it do so?

UDChE89
November 18th, 2007, 12:11 AM

Exactly. As a UD student in the late 80s, I wanted to see my school play those schools where I had friends attending. Since most of them were the New England state schools (having grown up in CT), the CAA (nee Yankee Conference then A-10) was the perfect spot for them. I miss us beating up on UConn every year though...

I didn't even know there was a Delaware State until I got here and someone made a joke about going there on a minority scholarship.

Tribe4SF
November 18th, 2007, 12:17 AM
I didn't even know there was a Delaware State until I got here and someone made a joke about going there on a minority scholarship.

Here we go!xrotatehx

DSUrocks07
November 18th, 2007, 12:22 AM
Exactly. As a UD student in the late 80s, I wanted to see my school play those schools where I had friends attending. Since most of them were the New England state schools (having grown up in CT), the CAA (nee Yankee Conference then A-10) was the perfect spot for them. I miss us beating up on UConn every year though...

LMAO!! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

Kinda reminds me of something Dave Chappelle once said..."you ever hear someone say something so blatantly racist, you didn't even get mad about it?"

UDChE89
November 18th, 2007, 12:26 AM
Wasn't meant to be racist.. I grew up in New England where the concept of an HBCU was foreign to me. UD gives minority scholarships, doesn't DSU as well?

BTW, how do you know I'm not black?

Tribe4SF
November 18th, 2007, 12:34 AM

xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox

AAadict
November 18th, 2007, 06:27 AM
It is not easy to put DSU on our (UD) schedule if the game were expected to be played every year. Hen's play 8 CAA's and a historical vs. West Chester (I get bored w/ this game but ND plays Navy and even though both FBS I am sure the ND fans are wondering why...except this year & 2003). If we add DSU (who harbors no great football tradition) we begin to lock a schedule that is the same every year. DSU says they will play this game at UD every year but how many losses at Newark will have DSU crying for a game in Dover?

...Question to DSU fans? What happened to your AD's claim that the Hornets are going FBS(I-A at the time)? Was it stadium funding or the fact that DSU has never came close to winning a I-AA title that derailed that plan.

Sam Adams
November 18th, 2007, 06:39 AM
ud should be embarrased to still be playing west chester. comparing west chester to the United States Naval Academy is idiotic.

Tod
November 18th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Wasn't meant to be racist.. I grew up in New England where the concept of an HBCU was foreign to me. UD gives minority scholarships, doesn't DSU as well?

It must be your dancing. xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx :( xlolx

AAadict
November 18th, 2007, 06:55 AM
West Chester is to UD as Navy is to Notre Dame. Check the record. You think ND fans get fired up for Navy after a USC game? UD starts their season with an easy game vs. West Chester. Is that uncommon in college football? What is idiotic or sad is that West Chester has a better stadium than DSU by a long shot but has no issue with playing at UD every year (20k plus). DSU cannot draw 20k in three games.

MR. CHICKEN
November 18th, 2007, 07:43 AM
ud should be embarrased to still be playing west chester. comparing west chester to the United States Naval Academy is idiotic.

WHEN DUH BIG BOYS STOP PLAYIN'....FORT LEWIS...&...MARS HILL........WE' THINK 'BOUT IT!

appfan2008
November 18th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Hey now... Mars Hill and Lenoir Ryhne were fun the last couple of years!... i think we beat them by a combined 80 something to 7 and that was with first stringers coming out at half and second coming out at the end of the 3rd...

MR. CHICKEN
November 18th, 2007, 07:54 AM
LMAO!! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

Kinda reminds me of something Dave Chappelle once said..."you ever hear someone say something so blatantly racist, you didn't even get mad about it?"

DSUROCKS...."MMMMM MMMMM I LOVE ME SOME CHICKEN".......POLLY CORRECT COMIN' FROM STATE FANS........BUT WHEN AH REFERENCED IT..IN MAH LEW HOLTZ TIRADE.........JESSE/SHARPTON.....CHASED ME LIKE IMUS...................BRAWK!

DSUrocks07
November 18th, 2007, 07:56 AM
It is not easy to put DSU on our (UD) schedule if the game were expected to be played every year. Hen's play 8 CAA's and a historical vs. West Chester (I get bored w/ this game but ND plays Navy and even though both FBS I am sure the ND fans are wondering why...except this year & 2003). If we add DSU (who harbors no great football tradition) we begin to lock a schedule that is the same every year. DSU says they will play this game at UD every year but how many losses at Newark will have DSU crying for a game in Dover?

...Question to DSU fans? What happened to your AD's claim that the Hornets are going FBS(I-A at the time)? Was it stadium funding or the fact that DSU has never came close to winning a I-AA title that derailed that plan.

We shouldn't go FBS, and we shouldn't for awhile IMO (not until we win a few NCs)...because we're not ready for that level of competition. If anything UD should go before DSU does, but thats never gonna happen. I don't think UD/DSU should be a game played every year. But the simple fact that it HASN"T been played yet...ever, is embarrassing to both programs. DSU feels like we have some leverage now so thats why our administration is making noise about it being a home-and-home series xnonono2x, just make it happen in the Tub every three or four years, UD wins some, DSU wins some...and in about 10 years when we get our new football stadium. (The preliminary plans call for three phases at 14,000/21,000/30,000) then and only then should there be discussions about making it annual and alternating sites.

I love DSU and I'll support them forever...but 'you people' need to calm down, and 'you other people' need to stop making it seem like if DSU is on the schedule it'll be the end of the world. xcoffeex I've heard the same excuses for about 15 years now...PLAY THE DAMN GAME, IS THAT SO HARD TO COMPREHEND??? xthumbsupx

DSUrocks07
November 18th, 2007, 07:59 AM
DSUROCKS...."MMMMM MMMMM I LOVE ME SOME CHICKEN".......POLLY CORRECT COMIN' FROM STATE FANS........BUT WHEN AH REFERENCED IT..IN MAH LEW HOLTZ TIRADE.........JESSE/SHARPTON.....CHASED ME LIKE IMUS...................BRAWK!

Thats why I can get away with it xsmiley_wix

xlolx xlolx xlolx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

on another note people take things too seriously all the time. xnonono2x

MR. CHICKEN
November 18th, 2007, 08:04 AM
YER GONNAH GET ALL DUH CHICKEN YA'LL CAN HANDLE......IFIN' IT GOES DOWN IN....NEWARK!

RadMann
November 18th, 2007, 08:07 AM
S. Adams actually read that posted and thought the poster was implying that West Chester and Navy were similar programs instead of what the poster was saying. Classic S. Adams... lol Sorry, couldn't let that one slide.....

DSUrocks07
November 18th, 2007, 08:11 AM
YER GONNAH GET ALL DUH CHICKEN YA'LL CAN HANDLE......IFIN' IT GOES DOWN IN....NEWARK!

Thats right! And I guarentee that there's gonna be an awful lot of red in the Tub that day xthumbsupx

Sam Adams
November 18th, 2007, 08:27 AM
West Chester is to UD as Navy is to Notre Dame. Check the record. You think ND fans get fired up for Navy after a USC game? ...

Absolutely. Having been to South bend for games on several occassions I can assure you that ND gets fired up to play the United States Naval Academy. In fact ND has a whole special pre-game and post-game ceremony especially for the United States Naval Academy players and midshipmen. The comparison offered between the United States Naval Academy and the golden rams of west chester is so ludicrous its laughable.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

RadMann
November 18th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Sam Adams, of course Notre Dame "respects" the Naval Academy! Everyone in the USA except maybe some Bolshevik radicals in Vermont (kidding about Vermont) respects the United States Naval Academy. What the poster was saying related to the football played at the USNA being respected by ND fans, and that sentiment is an easy one. Politeness aside, when you beat a program on the field so many times, the respect for the football played would be lacking. That is how I took the original post.

ChickenMan
November 18th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Absolutely. Having been to South bend for games on several occassions I can assure you that ND gets fired up to play the United States Naval Academy. In fact ND has a whole special pre-game and post-game ceremony especially for the United States Naval Academy players and midshipmen. The comparison offered between the United States Naval Academy and the golden rams of west chester is so ludicrous its laughable.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

I'm all for dropping West Chester.. as WCU de-emphisized football football back in the 90's and what use to be pretty competitive games have now become snoozers.

and you are correct about the bogus Navy/ND comparision.. West Chester has beaten UD 5 times in the last 30 years.. Navy beat ND just once... ;)

Sam Adams
November 18th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Sam Adams, of course Notre Dame "respects" the Naval Academy! Everyone in the USA except maybe some Bolshevik radicals in Vermont (kidding about Vermont) respects the United States Naval Academy. What the poster was saying related to the football played at the USNA being respected by ND fans, and that sentiment is an easy one. Politeness aside, when you beat a program on the field so many times, the respect for the football played would be lacking. That is how I took the original post.

Why are you dumping on Vermont??? Its one of the greatest states in the USA. ("ski trails down a mountain side...moonlight in vermont").

I never said anything about respect. The question was did I believe that ND fans get pumped for the Navy game - and the answer to that is YES regardless of the win loss records. You can't compare the honor of playing the US Naval Academy to slapping the purple rams around. Its a foolish discussion.

In 2005 and 2006 Massachusetts had the honor of playing West Point and Annapolis and both games were excellent - the honor and the privilege of competing against the United States service academies goes well beyond football. There is no comparison between that experience and playing West Chester (which is a fine school I'm sure).

RadMann
November 18th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Sam Adams West Chester State University is a fine (and actually quite large) state university within the Commonwealth's University system. Your comments are unwelcome by West Chester folks I am sure. The number of UMass fans you brought to Annapolis did not imply any great interest by UMass fans in the game. The football is the respect that was being discussed, and pageantry and military honor aside, the USNA had lost the most games consecutively to ND in college football. No more needs to be said.

Sam Adams
November 18th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Actually plenty more needs to be said if you want to perpetuate the idiotic comparison of playing against the United States Naval Academy to playing D2 West Chester University. Admit that its a foolish comparison or continue to look foolish.

Wake up and smell the coffee and realize that there is alot more involved with playing the United States Naval Academy than simply who wins a football game.

AAadict
November 18th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Ok. To end SA...much credit to the Notre Dame fans who after beating a team for over 40 years straight could get excited about beating them again...and again...and again...and again.

DSUHornet
November 18th, 2007, 01:09 PM
WE'LL FIND OUT IN ABOUT AN HOUR OR SO

Intrepid
November 18th, 2007, 01:47 PM

You're entitled to your opinions...Too bad for you, they'll be playing next week...xlolx xlolx xlolx

BTW: WE NEVER SAID THAT WE WANT TO BE DELAWARE'S RIVAL.

UDChE89
November 18th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Hey, I have no problem with playing the game in the playoffs.. and if it comes out that way and DSU beats UD you can bet I'll be pulling for DSU the rest of the way..

However, some of the reasons presented for a regular season game is that it would create this great rivalry. Rivalries aren't created, they're born. Just don't think that's ever going to be the case.

89Hen
November 18th, 2007, 02:38 PM
You're entitled to your opinions...Too bad for you, they'll be playing next week...xlolx xlolx xlolx

BTW: WE NEVER SAID THAT WE WANT TO BE DELAWARE'S RIVAL.
1. He's not alone
2. We're all happy they'll meet next week
3. EVERYONE else has said it would be a 'natural rivalry'

I was born in Wilmington in 1967. Graduated from a public HS in Wilm in 1985. Graduated from UD in 1989. Had a sister and brother graduate from UD in 1972 and 1975. Been going to games since I was 2. Lived in Sussex County for two years in the early 90's. This doesn't make me an expert, but it does make me a native and lifelong Delawarean. I've NEVER met a person off of this message board who was excited about a UD/DSU game. Take it FWIW. xpeacex