PDA

View Full Version : UMASS WINS CAA COIN TOSS

EmeryZach
November 17th, 2007, 09:09 PM
From the UMass athletics website.

"UMass has received the league's automatic qualifier following a conference call between the CAA Athletic Directors. The teams were determined indistinguishable, so it went to a coin flip, in which UMass won."

xlolx xlolx That's a pretty good way to determine the auto bid.

UMass922
November 17th, 2007, 09:11 PM
I think the committee will be very impressed by our head-to-head (or is that head-to-tails?) coin-toss win over Richmond.

BlueHen86
November 17th, 2007, 09:12 PM
From the UMass athletics website.

"UMass has received the league's automatic qualifier following a conference call between the CAA Athletic Directors. The teams were determined indistinguishable, so it went to a coin flip, in which UMass won."

Could you imagine if the CAA weren't a multi-bid conference? What if the MEAC or OVC ended in a three way tie that could only be decided by a random draw? A team could earn a playoff bid because they drew the long straw.

89Hen
November 17th, 2007, 09:12 PM
My thoughts ZACTLY. xsmiley_wix xlolx

appfan2008
November 17th, 2007, 09:13 PM
congrats to UMASS... not like you needed the toss to go your way to get in but hey!

BlueHen86
November 17th, 2007, 09:14 PM
I think the committee will be very impressed by our head-to-head (or is that head-to-tails?) coin-toss win over Richmond.
Nah, I heard that Richmond won the seed coin toss.xlolx

RE/MAXGriz
November 17th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Won it on a coin toss? What a joke...

Tribe4SF
November 17th, 2007, 10:29 PM
If there was any doubt that the AQ was meaningless, the ADs removed it.xsmhx

grizbeer
November 17th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Won it on a coin toss? What a joke...could happen in the BSC - it is one of the tie breakers.

UMass922
November 17th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Could you imagine if the CAA weren't a multi-bid conference? What if the MEAC or OVC ended in a three way tie that could only be decided by a random draw? A team could earn a playoff bid because they drew the long straw.

IIRC, this was actually a very real possibility in the OVC last year going into the final week of the season. I think (I may be remembering this wrong) Tennessee State's loss in its final game was the only thing that kept an AQ-deciding coin toss from happening. And in any case the OVC did get an at-large team (EIU). Still, it's a frightening possibility.

EmeryZach
November 18th, 2007, 12:40 AM
I wonder if we won with heads or tails. hahaha

OldTiredGriz
November 18th, 2007, 12:45 AM
I'm not a big fan of the coin toss....I'd rather see the ADs from Richmond and UMASS settle it in the ring, either boxing or WWE style.

JayJ79
November 18th, 2007, 12:54 AM

Aha! you've discovered the secret of the selection committee's mysterious "secret power poll".... :p

Kidding. They use rock, paper, scissors.

Didn't they use a three-way coin toss to determine playoff contenders in one of those football movies? I'm thinking Friday Night Lights, maybe.

ccd494
November 18th, 2007, 01:15 AM
Won it on a coin toss? What a joke...

You misspelled the words "Won it by beating up on Sacramento State and the sisters of the poor? What a joke..."

EmeryZach
November 18th, 2007, 01:43 AM
I bet we won it with heads. I mean, that is the best way to win it. You know if you call tails you are just a loser, even if you win.

th0m
November 18th, 2007, 02:31 AM
I think you put too much thought into cointosses entirely :p

saint0917
November 18th, 2007, 05:40 AM
The CAA crown wasn't determined with just a flip of a coin, the AD's had to take other things into consideration first, the last being a coin flip.

On Thursday, Nov. 15, the CAA Football athletic directors held a conference call to determine how the CAA should determine its automatic qualifier to the NCAA Football Championship; should both Massachusetts and Richmond finish the season as co-champions with identical 7-1 records, without having played each other. Under the conference tie-breaking procedures their records against common opponents and their strength of non-conference opponents were identical. The final step in the process was a vote by the uninvolved athletic directors.

The athletic directors discussed and evaluated a number of items, including, but not limited to: oppoint differential versus common ponents and various computer and human ranking services. The directors also noted that regardless of their decision, both Massachusetts and Richmond will be recognized identically as CAA co-champions; both teams are nationally ranked virtually assuring selection for the NCAA Championship and are likely first round host teams. In light of these factors, the directors concluded that the designation of the conference’s automatic qualifier merely will designate either team as the automatic qualifier or at-large team, but will not impact the evaluation of either champion by the NCAA Football Committee. Under these circumstances, the athletic directors concluded that the teams were indistinguishable and therefore the conference automatic qualifier should be determined by a coin-flip conducted by the Commissioner.

MASSACHUSETTS NAMED CAA FOOTBALL'S AUTOMATIC QUALIFIER (http://www.caasports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=48484&SPID=4660&DB_OEM_ID=8500&ATCLID=1321105)

Houndawg
November 18th, 2007, 06:19 AM
The CAA crown wasn't determined with just a flip of a coin, the AD's had to take other things into consideration first, the last being a coin flip.

On Thursday, Nov. 15, the CAA Football athletic directors held a conference call to determine how the CAA should determine its automatic qualifier to the NCAA Football Championship; should both Massachusetts and Richmond finish the season as co-champions with identical 7-1 records, without having played each other. Under the conference tie-breaking procedures their records against common opponents and their strength of non-conference opponents were identical. The final step in the process was a vote by the uninvolved athletic directors.

The athletic directors discussed and evaluated a number of items, including, but not limited to: oppoint differential versus common ponents and various computer and human ranking services. The directors also noted that regardless of their decision, both Massachusetts and Richmond will be recognized identically as CAA co-champions; both teams are nationally ranked virtually assuring selection for the NCAA Championship and are likely first round host teams. In light of these factors, the directors concluded that the designation of the conference’s automatic qualifier merely will designate either team as the automatic qualifier or at-large team, but will not impact the evaluation of either champion by the NCAA Football Committee. Under these circumstances, the athletic directors concluded that the teams were indistinguishable and therefore the conference automatic qualifier should be determined by a coin-flip conducted by the Commissioner.

MASSACHUSETTS NAMED CAA FOOTBALL'S AUTOMATIC QUALIFIER (http://www.caasports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=48484&SPID=4660&DB_OEM_ID=8500&ATCLID=1321105)

Instead of a coin toss, how about playing everyone in the conference?

saint0917
November 18th, 2007, 06:30 AM
Instead of a coin toss, how about playing everyone in the conference?

Well, that sounds like a good idea, but, pretty much impossible.

Uncle Buck
November 18th, 2007, 08:25 AM
Congtrats to UMass on the flip and the win at HU yesterday. Their defense was all over us. Good luck to all the teams from the CAA who make it to the next round.