PDA

View Full Version : No 4 loss at-large team has ever made playoffs

GSU Eagle
November 17th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Even some of our fans (Ga. Southern) are still arguing that we will get in as the 16th team, but I hate to introduce them to reality but Ga. Southern will not be in the playoffs this year. Neither will New Hampshire.

The committee has never crossed the line of a 4 loss at-large team and even if they have to invite what some may considered a weaker team I don't see them crossing the line this year either.

New Hampshire and Georgia Southern can start narrowing their recruiting lists. This season is over for both.

kardplayer
November 17th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Eastern Illinois was an 8-4 at large I'm pretty sure

mistersykes
November 17th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Wasn't Montana State 7-4 last year? Maybe I'm mistaken.

catbob
November 17th, 2007, 07:10 PM
MSU was 7-4 last year.

UNHWildCats
November 17th, 2007, 07:11 PM
this thread is false!

GSU Eagle
November 17th, 2007, 07:11 PM
At large

FCSFAN
November 17th, 2007, 07:12 PM
At largelast year and more

mvemjsunpx
November 17th, 2007, 07:13 PM
4-loss at-larges that I know of:

1995: Idaho
2006: Eastern Illinois
2006: Montana State

The two from last year had 7 DI wins, though. Georgia Southern doesn't.

gophoenix
November 17th, 2007, 07:14 PM
I would put GSU, Elon, UNH, Youngstown St or The Citadel in ahead of some of the available teams.

But, I think that that Norfolk St will go. Liberty has a good shot now. I would put Albany in as a good shot too right now. Eastern Illinois is sitting pretty well also.

With the at-large guys in the Patriot losing and Alabama A&M getting beaten pretty bad. I have to think that this may be the year that 1 non-7 win, 4 loss program may make it.

Remember, the 7 win thing isn't a rule, only a strong recommendation.

KAUMASS
November 17th, 2007, 07:15 PM
this thread is false!

Is that a guy or girl in UNHWildcat's Avatar? I can't tell. I think it's a guy. I hope it is not a guy.

grizband
November 17th, 2007, 07:15 PM
At large
Griz wont the autobid from the Big Sky last year. The Cats received an at-large with a 7-4 record.

UNHWildCats
November 17th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Is that a guy or girl in UNHWildcat's Avatar? I can't tell. I think it's a guy. I hope it is not a guy.
one nice asian guy :p

FCSFAN
November 17th, 2007, 07:17 PM
I would put GSU, Elon, UNH, Youngstown St or The Citadel in ahead of some of the available teams.

But, I think that that Norfolk St will go. Liberty has a good shot now. I would put Albany in as a good shot too right now. Eastern Illinois is sitting pretty well also.

With the at-large guys in the Patriot losing and Alabama A&M getting beaten pretty bad. I have to think that this may be the year that 1 non-7 win, 4 loss program may make it.

Remember, the 7 win thing isn't a rule, only a strong recommendation.Norfolk State is a common thought to be in but it will be a bracket-time decision!

gophoenix
November 17th, 2007, 07:18 PM
There are some string 7-4 teams with less than 7 D-I wins and there are some weak 8-3 teams.

So, things could be interesting tomorrow.

DetroitFlyer
November 17th, 2007, 07:21 PM
I'm tellin ya, the Dayton Flyers are going to the playoffs. The chips have just about fallen perfectly in the Flyers favor!

FCSFAN
November 17th, 2007, 07:33 PM
There are some string 7-4 teams with less than 7 D-I wins and there are some weak 8-3 teams.

So, things could be interesting tomorrow.Things will be interesting but no team that plays 11 games without an FBS win and only six D-I wins will be chosen IMO.

blur2005
November 17th, 2007, 07:33 PM
I'm tellin ya, the Dayton Flyers are going to the playoffs. The chips have just about fallen perfectly in the Flyers favor!
xnonox xnonox

CopperCat
November 17th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Wasn't Montana State 7-4 last year? Maybe I'm mistaken.

Yes they were. There was another team awhile back that made it in at 7-4.

blur2005
November 17th, 2007, 07:39 PM
If you didn't know, I'm guessing that avatar is actually UNHWildcat himself.

UNHWildCats
November 17th, 2007, 07:40 PM
If you didn't know, I'm guessing that avatar is actually UNHWildcat himself.
I wish I was that sexy. Im not even asian lol

gophoenix
November 17th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Things will be interesting but no team that plays 11 games without an FBS win and only six D-I wins will be chosen IMO.

Maybe, maybe not. Things have panned out really weird this season.

ButlerGSU
November 17th, 2007, 08:00 PM
I don't think our chances are very good but SDSU's win today helped our chances just a little...

GreatAppSt
November 17th, 2007, 08:05 PM

The selection show just can't get here soon enough.xrolleyesx :D

WSBE
November 17th, 2007, 08:07 PM
..having just reviewed the website & results of Dayton & Norfolk State....I'm going to go out on a limb & say that their schedules are half the strength of CAA UNH & Villanova. It just seems to me that the committee members should have a rule in their head for those conferences that says "if they don't get the autobid....they can't lose more than 2 games". That said...it't always nice to see good programs with decent years get a chance.

CID1990
November 17th, 2007, 08:08 PM
I would put 4 SoCon teams in before I put one from the Big South. I ain't saying, I'm just saying.

CID1990
November 17th, 2007, 08:08 PM
I would put 4 SoCon teams in before I put one from the Big South. I ain't saying, I'm just saying.

I will never happen, though.

WrenFGun
November 17th, 2007, 08:12 PM
I took a good look at Norfolk State/EIU's schedule, and I struggle looking at both of them. Norfolk's loss to Howard is just bad. Their other two losses are to FBS and FCS playoff teams, though, which could help them. EIU doesn't seem to have a single quality win, but they have the better resume, which should help them. I'm not sure either of these teams have better resumes than UNH/NOVA, but we'll see.

WSBE
November 17th, 2007, 08:25 PM
I took a good look at Norfolk State/EIU's schedule, and I struggle looking at both of them. Norfolk's loss to Howard is just bad. Their other two losses are to FBS and FCS playoff teams, though, which could help them. EIU doesn't seem to have a single quality win, but they have the better resume, which should help them. I'm not sure either of these teams have better resumes than UNH/NOVA, but we'll see.

WrenFGun.....I don't think its the loss to Howard that hurts them as much as their wins over teams like Virginia State, Morgan State, Bethune-Cookman, Florida A&M, North Carolina A&T, & Winston Salem. C'mon, Ricky Santos & UNH would have crushed that schedule ...we'd be looking at the first 2 time WPA winner! If you go 8-3 in that league & make the playoffs over a 7-4 CAA team? the system is designed to have 8 at-large bids for exactly that reason

WrenFGun
November 17th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Well, WSBE, you're preaching to the choir. I think UNH would absolutely destroy Norfolk State and Eastern Illinois, but who knows if that matters. Oy.

whoanellie
November 17th, 2007, 08:34 PM
counting next years bigsouth newcomer Stoneybrook,
did a bigsouth team have a victory vs a SoCon school this season?
really quick, i don't think so.
no one wants to play, in no particular order Citadel, Elon, GSU, or for that matter Furman.
welcome to Samford '08 SoCon newcomer.

straightshooter
November 17th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Didn't WKU get in a few years ago at 7-4 and wind up winning the whole thing?

WyomingGrizFan
November 17th, 2007, 09:40 PM
In 2005 Eastern Washington Eagles were 7 - 4 with Eric Meyer the Payton Award winner. They lost 38 - 41 to Northern Iowa in Cedar Falls, First Round.

Petrie Dish
November 17th, 2007, 09:49 PM
In 2005 Eastern Washington Eagles were 7 - 4 with Eric Meyer the Payton Award winner. They lost 38 - 41 to Northern Iowa in Cedar Falls, First Round.

They weren't an at-large team, though.

Longhorn
November 17th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Even some of our fans (Ga. Southern) are still arguing that we will get in as the 16th team, but I hate to introduce them to reality but Ga. Southern will not be in the playoffs this year. Neither will New Hampshire.

The committee has never crossed the line of a 4 loss at-large team and even if they have to invite what some may considered a weaker team I don't see them crossing the line this year either.

New Hampshire and Georgia Southern can start narrowing their recruiting lists. This season is over for both.

Don't think GSU is going to the playoffs this year, but it's not because GSU has 4 losses, but wasn't one of your 7 wins against a DII? Less than 7 D1 wins will keep any team out.

gophoenix
November 17th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Don't think GSU is going to the playoffs this year, but it's not because GSU has 4 losses, but wasn't one of your 7 wins against a DII? Less than 7 D1 wins will keep any team out.

It may or may not. The problem is, it used to be really cut and dry that Team A with less than 7 D-I wins would be arguably weaker than most teams with seven or more. It isn't the case this year.

As for the sub-DI thing. I don't honestly see how we ahve any right to complain about FBS teams not playing us if we aren't willing to give the same courtesy to D-II teams.

Longhorn
November 17th, 2007, 10:10 PM
It may or may not. The problem is, it used to be really cut and dry that Team A with less than 7 D-I wins would be arguably weaker than most teams with seven or more. It isn't the case this year.

As for the sub-DI thing. I don't honestly see how we ahve any right to complain about FBS teams not playing us if we aren't willing to give the same courtesy to D-II teams.

No maybe about it. I believe its part of the published selection rules. A team must have a minimum of 7 D1 wins.

danefan
November 17th, 2007, 10:12 PM
The rule says that a team with less than 7 D-I wins is in great jeopardy of not being selected. No bright line rule, but pretty solid.

BlueHen86
November 17th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Good luck against CENTRAL CONNECTICUT STATE in the GIC. Albany will get more playoff consideration than you guys.xlolx

gophoenix
November 17th, 2007, 10:33 PM
The rule says that a team with less than 7 D-I wins is in great jeopardy of not being selected. No bright line rule, but pretty solid.

Like I said, it is a major recommendation, but not as cut and dry and everyone on here talks about. That's all I am saying.

Anovafan
November 17th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Colgate made it a few years back at 7-4 as an at large.

bcrawf
November 17th, 2007, 10:58 PM
I think Albany is in as team #16 and I think that they are headed for Cedar Falls...

santosballnewhampshire
November 17th, 2007, 11:00 PM
I think Albany is in as team #16 and I think that they are headed for Cedar Falls...
thats pretty funny

FCS Go!
November 17th, 2007, 11:33 PM

Isn't that the guy from Smashing Pumpkins... James Iha?

FCS Go!
November 17th, 2007, 11:35 PM

I've been drinking too and I'm starting to think they're on a return trip to Missoula!